This terrible scene of the 20th of April none of us can ever forget.
这个可怕的场景发生在4月20日,我们每个人都永远无法忘记。 —

I have written it under the influence of violent emotion.
在强烈的情感影响下,我写下了这些话。 —

Since then I have revised the recital;
自那以后,我对这段叙述进行了修订; —

I have read it to Conseil and to the Canadian.
我向康塞尔和加拿大人读了出来。 —

They found it exact as to facts, but insufficient as to effect.
他们发现它在事实上是准确的,但在效果上不足。 —

To paint such pictures, one must have the pen of the most illustrious of our poets, the author of The Toilers of the Deep.
要描绘这样的画面,一个人必须拥有我们最杰出的诗人,即《大海工作者》的作者,那支笔才行。

I have said that Captain Nemo wept while watching the waves;
我说过,纳摩船长在观看着海浪时流泪, —

his grief was great.
他的悲痛是巨大的。 —

It was the second companion he had lost since our arrival on board, and what a death!
这是自从我们上船以来他失去的第二个伙伴,而且是一个多么可怕的死亡! —

That friend, crushed, stifled, bruised by the dreadful arms of a poulp, pounded by his iron jaws, would not rest with his comrades in the peaceful coral cemetery!
那个朋友被可怕的章鱼的可怕胳膊压碎、窒息以及撕咬,不会像他的同伴们一样安息在宁静的珊瑚墓地中! —

In the midst of the struggle, it was the despairing cry uttered by the unfortunate man that had torn my heart.
在搏斗的中间,是这个不幸男子发出的绝望呼喊撕碎了我的心。 —

The poor Frenchman, forgetting his conventional language, had taken to his own mother tongue, to utter a last appeal!
这个可怜的法国人,忘记了他惯用的语言,转而使用自己的母语来发出最后的请求! —

Amongst the crew of the Nautilus, associated with the body and soul of the Captain, recoiling like him from all contact with men, I had a fellow-countryman.
鹦鹉螺号 的船员中, 有一个与船长的灵魂和身体紧密相关的人,像他一样与世隔绝,避免与别人接触,这个人也是我的同胞。 —

Did he alone represent France in this mysterious association, evidently composed of individuals of divers nationalities?
他是唯一代表法国的人吗,在这个显然由国籍各异的人组成的神秘团体中? —

It was one of these insoluble problems that rose up unceasingly before my mind!
这是一个我思绪中不断升起的解不开的难题!

Captain Nemo entered his room, and I saw him no more for some time.
尼摩船长进入了他的房间,我有段时间没有见到他。 —

But that he was sad and irresolute I could see by the vessel, of which he was the soul, and which received all his impressions.
但是通过这艘船,我可以看出他是悲伤和优柔寡断的灵魂的,它接收着他所有的感受。 —

The Nautilus did not keep on in its settled course;
鹦鹉螺号没有保持着预定的航线, —

it floated about like a corpse at the will of the waves.
它在海上漂泊,像一具任波浪驱使的尸体。 —

It went at random.
它毫无目的地航行。 —

He could not tear himself away from the scene of the last struggle, from this sea that had devoured one of his men.
他无法离开最后一次斗争的场景,无法离开吞没了他的一个手下的这片海洋。 —

Ten days passed thus.
这样过了十天时间。 —

It was not till the 1st of May that the Nautilus resumed its northerly course, after having sighted the Bahamas at the mouth of the Bahama Canal. We were then following the current from the largest river to the sea, that has its banks, its fish, and its proper temperatures.
直到5月1日,鹦鹉螺号才恢复它的北航,此前它在巴哈马运河入口处看到了巴哈马群岛。此时我们正在追随这条来自最大河流的海洋洋流,它有自己的岸边、鱼类和适宜的温度。 —

I mean the Gulf Stream. It is really a river, that flows freely to the middle of the Atlantic, and whose waters do not mix with the ocean waters.
我指的是墨西哥湾暖流。实际上,它是一条自由奔流至大西洋中部的河流,其水并不与海洋水混合。 —

It is a salt river, salter than the surrounding sea.
它是一条比周围海域更咸的盐水河。 —

Its mean depth is 1,500 fathoms, its mean breadth ten miles.
它的平均深度是1500英寻,平均宽度为10英里。 —

In certain places the current flows with the speed of two miles and a half an hour.
在某些地方,水流的速度达到每小时两英里半。 —

The body of its waters is more considerable than that of all the rivers in the globe.
它的水量要比全球所有河流的水量加起来还要大。 —

It was on this ocean river that the Nautilus then sailed.
鹦鹉螺号当时就驶在这条海洋河流上。

I must add that, during the night, the phosphorescent waters of the Gulf Stream rivalled the electric power of our watch-light, especially in the stormy weather that threatened us so frequently.
我必须补充说,在夜间,墨西哥湾暖流的荧光水面几乎能与我们的护航灯电力相媲美,尤其是在频繁发生的风暴天气中。 —

May 8th, we were still crossing Cape Hatteras, at the height of the North Caroline.
5月8日,我们仍在穿越Hatteras角,位于北卡罗来纳的最高点。 —

The width of the Gulf Stream there is seventy-five miles, and its depth 210 yards.
该地区的海流宽度为75英里,深度为210码。 —

The Nautilus still went at random;
《鹦鹉螺号》仍然随机行进。 —

all supervision seemed abandoned. I thought that, under these circumstances, escape would be possible.
所有的监督似乎都被抛弃了。我认为,在这种情况下,逃脱是可能的。 —

Indeed, the inhabited shores offered anywhere an easy refuge.
事实上,有人居住的海岸提供了容易躲避的地方。 —

The sea was incessantly ploughed by the steamers that ply between New York or Boston and the Gulf of Mexico, and overrun day and night by the little schooners coasting about the several parts of the American coast.
海上不断有往返于纽约或波士顿与墨西哥湾之间的汽船航行,而且整天都有小帆船沿着美国海岸的各个地方航行。 —

We could hope to be picked up.
我们可以希望被救起。 —

It was a favourable opportunity, notwithstanding the thirty miles that separated the Nautilus from the coasts of the Union. One unfortunate circumstance thwarted the Canadian’s plans.
尽管与联合会的海岸相距30英里,这是一个有利的机会。不幸的是,加拿大人的计划被一个意外情况打乱了。 —

The weather was very bad.
天气非常糟糕。 —

We were nearing those shores where tempests are so frequent, that country of waterspouts and cyclones actually engendered by the current of the Gulf Stream.
我们正接近那些经常暴发风暴的海岸,那片产生于墨西哥湾暖流的龙卷风和水龙卷频频出现的区域。 —

To tempt the sea in a frail boat was certain destruction.
在一只脆弱的小船中挑战大海注定是毁灭的命运。 —

Ned Land owned this himself.
尼德·兰德自己也承认这一点。 —

He fretted, seized with nostalgia that flight only could cure.
他焦虑不安,被怀旧之情困扰,唯有飞越大海才能解除他的思乡之情。

“Master,” he said that day to me, “this must come to an end.
“大师,”他那天对我说,“这事得结束了。 —

I must make a clean breast of it.
我必须坦白交代。” —

This Nemo is leaving land and going up to the north.
这个尼摩正在离开陆地,向北行进。 —

But I declare to you that I have had enough of the South Pole, and I will not follow him to the North.”
但我向你宣告,我已经厌倦了南极,我不会再跟随他去北方。”

“What is to be done, Ned, since flight is impracticable just now?”
“那现在怎么办,尼德,因为暂时无法飞行?”

“We must speak to the Captain,” said he;
“我们必须和船长说话,”他说, —

“you said nothing when we were in your native seas. I will speak, now we are in mine.
“当我们在你的家乡海域的时候,你什么也没说。现在在我的海域,我要说话了。” —

When I think that before long the Nautilus will be by Nova Scotia, and that there near New foundland is a large bay, and into that bay the St. Lawrence empties itself, and that the St. Lawrence is my river, the river by Quebec, my native town—when I think of this, I feel furious, it makes my hair stand on end.
当我想到不久后鹦鹉螺号将会到达新斯科舍,而在那附近有一个大港湾,朗西河就倒入这个港湾,而朗西河正是我的河流,饱受我的家乡魁北克市的河流,当我想到这一点时,我感到愤怒,让我的头发竖起来。 —

Sir, I would rather throw myself into the sea!
先生,我宁愿投身大海!我不会留在这里! —

I will not stay here! I am stifled!”
我无法呼吸!”

The Canadian was evidently losing all patience.
加拿大人显然已经没有耐心了。 —

His vigorous nature could not stand this prolonged imprisonment.
他强壮的性格无法忍受这种长时间的囚禁。 —

His face altered daily;
他的脸每天都在改变; —

his temper became more surly. I knew what he must suffer, for I was seized with home-sickness myself.
他的脾气变得更加暴躁。我知道他一定很痛苦,因为我自己也感到了思乡之情。 —

Nearly seven months had passed without our having had any news from land;
已经有近七个月没有从陆地上收到任何消息了; —

Captain Nemo’s isolation, his altered spirits, especially since the fight with the poulps, his taciturnity, all made me view things in a different light.
鹦鹉螺号船长的孤立,他情绪的变化,特别是与章鱼的战斗后,他的沉默寡言,让我对事物有了不同的看法。

“Well, sir?” said Ned, seeing I did not reply.
“好吧,先生?”尼德问道,看到我没有回答。

“Well, Ned, do you wish me to ask Captain Nemo his intentions concerning us?”
“嗯,尼德,你希望我向尼摩船长询问他对我们的意图吗?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“Although he has already made them known?”
“尽管他已经表明了他的意图?”

“Yes; I wish it settled finally.
“是的,我希望最终确定下来。 —

Speak for me, in my name only, if you like.”
如果你愿意,只代表我说话。”

“But I so seldom meet him. He avoids me.”
“但是我很少见到他。他避开我。”

“That is all the more reason for you to go to see him.”
“这更是你去见他的理由。”

I went to my room. From thence I meant to go to Captain Nemo’s.
我去了我的房间。从那里我打算去找尼摩船长。 —

It would not do to let this opportunity of meeting him slip.
不能错过这个见面的机会。 —

I knocked at the door.
我敲了敲门。 —

No answer. I knocked again, then turned the handle.
没有回答。我又敲了一次,然后转动把手。 —

The door opened, I went in.
门打开了,我走了进去。 —

The Captain was there.
船长在那里。 —

Bending over his work-table, he had not heard me.
俯身在工作台前,他没有听到我。 —

Resolved not to go without having spoken, I approached him.
决心不会没有说上几句走,我走到他跟前。 —

He raised his head quickly, frowned, and said roughly, “You here!
他迅速抬起头,皱了皱眉头,粗暴地说道:“你在这里! —

What do you want?”
你想要什么?”

“To speak to you, Captain.”
“与你交谈,船长。”

“But I am busy, sir; I am working.
“但是我很忙,先生; —

I leave you at liberty to shut yourself up;
我在工作。你可以自己关起门, —

cannot I be allowed the same?”
难道我不能被允许吗?”

This reception was not encouraging;
这个接待并不鼓舞人心, —

but I was determined to hear and answer everything.
但我决心听到并回答所有问题。

“Sir,” I said coldly, “I have to speak to you on a matter that admits of no delay.”
“先生,”我冷冷地说道,” 我必须立刻和您谈一件无法延迟的事情。”

“What is that, sir?” he replied, ironically.
“是什么事,先生?”他反讽地回答道,” —

“Have you discovered something that has escaped me, or has the sea delivered up any new secrets?”
是你发现了我所忽略的事情,还是大海揭示了一些新的秘密?”

We were at cross-purposes. But, before I could reply, he showed me an open manuscript on his table, and said, in a more serious tone, “Here, M. Aronnax, is a manuscript written in several languages.
我们的理解出现了偏差。但是,在我回答之前,他向我展示了桌子上展开的一份手稿,严肃地说道:” 这是一份用几种语言写的手稿。” —

It contains the sum of my studies of the sea; and, if it please God, it shall not perish with me.
它包含了我对海洋的研究总结;如果上天愿意,它将不会随着我一同消失。 —

This manuscript, signed with my name, complete with the history of my life, will be shut up in a little floating case.
这份手稿上有我的名字,也包括了我一生的历史,它将被放入一个小小的浮箱中。 —

The last survivor of all of us on board the Nautilus will throw this case into the sea, and it will go whither it is borne by the waves.”
我们在”鹦鹉螺号”上的最后一个幸存者将把这个浮箱扔进大海,任其随波漂流。

This man’s name! his history written by himself!
这个人的名字!他自己写下的历史! —

His mystery would then be revealed some day.
他的谜团终将有一天揭晓出来。

“Captain,” I said, “I can but approve of the idea that makes you act thus.
“船长,”我说,“我只能赞同你这样做的想法。 —

The result of your studies must not be lost.
你的研究成果不能浪费。” —

But the means you employ seem to me to be primitive.
“但是你使用的手段对我来说似乎有些原始。 —

Who knows where the winds will carry this case, and in whose hands it will fall?
谁知道风会把这个案子带到哪里,会落入谁的手中呢?” —

Could you not use some other means?
“难道你不能使用其他手段吗? —

Could not you, or one of yours——”
难道你或者你的手下——”

“Never, sir!” he said, hastily interrupting me.
“不可能,先生!”他急忙打断了我。

“But I and my companions are ready to keep this manuscript in store;
“但是我和我的同伴们愿意保存这份手稿; —

and, if you will put us at liberty——”
如果您可以释放我们——”

“At liberty?” said the Captain, rising.
“释放?”船长起身说道。

“Yes, sir; that is the subject on which I wish to question you.
“是的,先生;这就是我想要问您的问题。 —

For seven months we have been here on board, and I ask you to-day, in the name of my companions and in my own, if your intention is to keep us here always?”
我们在这艘船上呆了七个月了,我代表我的同伴和我自己问您,您的意图是永远把我们囚禁在这里吗?”

“M. Aronnax, I will answer you to-day as I did seven months ago:
“阿纳克斯先生,我今天会像七个月前回答您一样: —

Whoever enters the Nautilus, must never quit it.”
进入鹦鹉螺号的人,必须永远不离开它。”

“You impose actual slavery upon us!”
“你把我们强加了真正的奴役!”

“Give it what name you please.”
“你可以随便给它起什么名字。”

“But everywhere the slave has the right to regain his liberty.”
“但是无论在哪里,奴隶都有权利恢复自由。”

“Who denies you this right?
“谁否认你这个权利? —

Have I ever tried to chain you with an oath?”
我曾试图用誓言束缚你吗?”

He looked at me with his arms crossed.
他双臂交叉地看着我。

“Sir,” I said, “to return a second time to this subject will be neither to your nor to my taste;
“先生,”我说,“重新谈论这个话题既不符合您的口味,也不符合我的口味; —

but, as we have entered upon it, let us go through with it.
但是既然我们已经开始了,让我们继续下去吧。 —

I repeat, it is not only myself whom it concerns.
我再次强调,这不仅仅涉及我自己。 —

Study is to me a relief, a diversion, a passion that could make me forget everything.
对我来说,学习是一种解脱,一种娱乐,一种可能让我忘记一切的激情。 —

Like you, I am willing to live obscure, in the frail hope of bequeathing one day, to future time, the result of my labours.
像您一样,我愿意默默无闻地生活,希望有一天能把我的劳动成果传承给后人。 —

But it is otherwise with Ned Land. Every man, worthy of the name, deserves some consideration.
但是对于尼德·兰德来说情况就不同了。每个名副其实的男人都应该得到一些考虑。 —

Have you thought that love of liberty, hatred of slavery, can give rise to schemes of revenge in a nature like the Canadian’s;
您有没有想过,对自由的热爱,对奴隶制的仇恨,会在像加拿大人这样的人身上引发复仇的计划; —

that he could think, attempt, and try——”
他会思考、尝试和努力——”

I was silenced; Captain Nemo rose.
我被打断了;尼摩船长起身。

“Whatever Ned Land thinks of, attempts, or tries, what does it matter to me? I did not seek him!
“尼德·兰德无论想什么、尝试什么、努力什么,与我何干?我并未寻求他! —

It is not for my pleasure that I keep him on board!
我舍不得留他在船上仅是为了我的快乐!” —

As for you, M. Aronnax, you are one of those who can understand everything, even silence. I have nothing more to say to you.
至于你,阿诺纳克斯先生,你是那些能够理解一切的人之一,甚至是沉默的理解。我对你没有更多要说的。 —

Let this first time you have come to treat of this subject be the last, for a second time I will not listen to you.”
让你第一次来谈这个问题成为最后一次,因为我不会再听你的第二次。

I retired. Our situation was critical.
我离开了。我们的处境很危险。 —

I related my conversation to my two companions.
我把我的对话告诉了我的两个伙伴。

“We know now,” said Ned, “that we can expect nothing from this man.
“我们现在知道了,”尼德说,“我们从这个人身上不会得到任何东西。” —

The Nautilus is nearing Long Island.
Nautilus 正接近 Long Island。 —

We will escape, whatever the weather may be.”
不管天气如何,我们会逃脱的。”

But the sky became more and more threatening.
但天空变得越来越危险。 —

Symptoms of a hurricane became manifest.
飓风的征兆显现出来。 —

The atmosphere was becoming white and misty.
大气变得白色雾蒙蒙的。 —

On the horizon fine streaks of cirrhous clouds were succeeded by masses of cumuli.
地平线上出现了细细的积云条纹,紧接着是大量的积云团块。 —

Other low clouds passed swiftly by.
其他低云飞速掠过。 —

The swollen sea rose in huge billows.
大海肆意翻腾着巨浪。 —

The birds disappeared with the exception of the petrels, those friends of the storm.
鸟儿纷纷消失,只有海燕这些狂风中的朋友留下来。 —

The barometer fell sensibly, and indicated an extreme extension of the vapours.
晴雨表下降明显,显示了大量水汽的扩散。 —

The mixture of the storm glass was decomposed under the influence of the electricity that pervaded the atmosphere.
在弥漫在大气中的电力影响下,风暴玻璃中的混合物被分解了。 —

The tempest burst on the 18th of May, just as the Nautilus was floating off Long Island, some miles from the port of New York. I can describe this strife of the elements!
暴风雨于5月18日爆发,就在”鹦鹉螺号”距离纽约港几英里的长岛附近。我能描述这两股元素的激战! —

for, instead of fleeing to the depths of the sea, Captain Nemo, by an unaccountable caprice, would brave it at the surface.
然而,和往常不同,尼摩船长并没有选择逃往海底,而是莫名其妙地选择了在水面上应对。 —

The wind blew from the south-west at first. Captain Nemo, during the squalls, had taken his place on the platform.
起初,风是从西南吹来的。在狂风暴雨中,尼摩船长站在平台上。 —

He had made himself fast, to prevent being washed overboard by the monstrous waves.
他系牢自己,以免被巨浪冲走。 —

I had hoisted myself up, and made myself fast also, dividing my admiration between the tempest and this extraordinary man who was coping with it.
我也爬了起来并牢牢系住自己,将我的钦佩分散在风暴和这个与它作斗争的非凡人身上。 —

The raging sea was swept by huge cloud-drifts, which were actually saturated with the waves.
巨大的云漂流席卷着狂怒的海洋,实际上被海浪湿透。 —

The Nautilus, sometimes lying on its side, sometimes standing up like a mast, rolled and pitched terribly.
《鹦鹉螺号》有时候躺在一边,有时候像一根桅杆一样直立,翻滚起伏得非常剧烈。 —

About five o’clock a torrent of rain fell, that lulled neither sea nor wind.
大约五点钟,一阵瓢泼大雨降下,既不安抚海洋也不缓和风势。 —

The hurri cane blew nearly forty leagues an hour.
飓风以近40海里的时速吹袭。 —

It is under these conditions that it overturns houses, breaks iron gates, displaces twenty-four pounders.
在这种情况下,它推翻建筑物,打碎铁门,移动二十四磅口径的大炮。 —

However, the Nautilus, in the midst of the tempest, confirmed the words of a clever engineer, “There is no well-constructed hull that cannot defy the sea.
然而,在风暴中,《鹦鹉螺号》证实了一个聪明工程师的话:“没有一艘建造得好的船体不能抵御海洋。” —

” This was not a resisting rock; it was a steel spindle, obedient and movable, without rigging or masts, that braved its fury with impunity.
这不是一块抵抗的岩石,而是一根没有绳索或桅杆、顺从且可移动的钢质轴心,能够毫无后顾之忧地面对狂风暴雨。 —

However, I watched these raging waves attentively.
然而,我专注地观察着这些狂怒的巨浪。 —

They measured fifteen feet in height, and 150 to 175 yards long, and their speed of propagation was thirty feet per second.
它们有十五英尺高,长150到175码,传播速度为每秒三十英尺。 —

Their bulk and power increased with the depth of the water.
随着水深的增加,它们的体积和力量也增加了。 —

Such waves as these, at the Hebrides, have displaced a mass weighing 8, 400 lbs.
诸如在赫布里底群岛的这样的海浪已经推动了重达8, 400磅的物体。 —

They are they which, in the tempest of December 23rd, 1864, after destroying the town of Yeddo, in Japan, broke the same day on the shores of America.
它们就是在1864年12月23日的风暴中摧毁了日本的江户市后,同一天冲击了美国海岸的那些海浪。 —

The intensity of the tempest increased with the night.
风暴的强度随着夜晚的到来而增加。 —

The barometer, as in 1860 at Reunion during a cyclone, fell seven-tenths at the close of day.
气压计在1860年留尼旺岛的一次飓风中,在天黑之前下降了七分之一。 —

I saw a large vessel pass the horizon struggling painfully.
我看到一艘大船艰难地穿过地平线。 —

She was trying to lie to under half steam, to keep up above the waves.
她试图半功率下维持航行,以保持在波浪上方。 —

It was probably one of the steamers of the line from New York to Liverpool, or Havre. It soon disappeared in the gloom.
这可能是从纽约到利物浦或勒阿弗尔的航线上的其中一艘轮船。它很快在黑暗中消失了。 —

At ten o’clock in the evening the sky was on fire.
晚上十点钟,天空像着了火一样。 —

The atmosphere was streaked with vivid lightning.
大气中闪烁着明亮的闪电。 —

I could not bear the brightness of it;
我无法忍受它的亮度; —

while the captain, looking at it, seemed to envy the spirit of the tempest.
而船长看着它,似乎嫉妒着风暴的精神。 —

A terrible noise filled the air, a complex noise, made up of the howls of the crushed waves, the roaring of the wind, and the claps of thunder.
空气中弥漫着一种可怕的噪音,一种复杂的噪音,由被挤压的浪花的嚎叫声、风的咆哮声和雷鸣声组成。 —

The wind veered suddenly to all points of the horizon;
风突然改变了方向,扇动着全景的每一个点; —

and the cyclone, rising in the east, returned after passing by the north, west, and south, in the inverse course pursued by the circular storm of the southern hemisphere.
而台风则在东方升起,经过北方、西方和南方之后,沿着南半球的圆形风暴的逆向路径返回。 —

Ah, that Gulf Stream! It deserves its name of the King of Tempests.
啊,那个墨西哥湾暖流!它名副其实地称为暴风雨之王。 —

It is that which causes those formidable cyclones, by the difference of temperature between its air and its currents.
正是因为它的空气和洋流之间的温差,导致了那些可怕的气旋。 —

A shower of fire had succeeded the rain.
火焰之雨接踵而至, —

The drops of water were changed to sharp spikes.
水滴都变成了锐利的尖钉。 —

One would have thought that Captain Nemo was courting a death worthy of himself, a death by lightning.
你会认为纳摩船长正在追求一种配得上自己的死亡,一种被闪电击中的死亡。 —

As the Nautilus, pitching dreadfully, raised its steel spur in the air, it seemed to act as a conductor, and I saw long sparks burst from it.
尼奥号恶劣地翻滚着,将它的钢铁刺抛向空中,它似乎像一个导体一样,我看到它发出了长长的火花。 —

Crushed and without strength I crawled to the panel, opened it, and descended to the saloon.
我破碎而无力地爬向舱壁,打开了舱门,下到了大厅。 —

The storm was then at its height.
风暴此时正达到了顶峰。 —

It was impossible to stand upright in the interior of the Nautilus.
在鹦鹉螺内部是无法直立站立的。 —

Captain Nemo came down about twelve.
船长尼摩大约在十二点钟下来了。 —

I heard the reservoirs filling by degrees, and the Nautilus sank slowly beneath the waves.
我听到储水箱逐渐充满,而鹦鹉螺则缓慢地下沉在海浪之下。 —

Through the open windows in the saloon I saw large fish terrified, passing like phantoms in the water.
透过大厅的敞开窗户,我看到了大型鱼儿惊恐地在水中飞过,它们就像幽灵一样。 —

Some were struck before my eyes.
有些甚至在我眼前被击中了。 —

The Nautilus was still descending.
鹦鹉螺仍在下潜。 —

I thought that at about eight fathoms deep we should find a calm.
我以为在大约八英寻深的地方会有平静。但事实并非如此! —

But no!

the upper beds were too violently agitated for that.
上层床铺被剧烈地颠簸着。 —

We had to seek repose at more than twenty-five fathoms in the bowels of the deep.
我们不得不在海洋深渊的二十五英寻以下才能找到休息的地方。 —

But there, what quiet, what silence, what peace!
然而,在那里,是多么的宁静,多么的寂静, —

Who could have told that such a hurricane had been let loose on the surface of that ocean?
多么的平静!谁能想到在海面上会掀起这样一场飓风呢?