“Sir,” said Captain Nemo, showing me the instruments hanging on the walls of his room, “here are the contrivances required for the navigation of the Nautilus.
“先生,”船长尤西弗·纳摩说,指着他房间墙上的仪器,“这里是潜艇 鹦鹉螺 导航所需的装置。 —

Here, as in the drawing-room, I have them always under my eyes, and they indicate my position and exact direction in the middle of the ocean.
这些仪器我无论在客厅还是在这里,都能时刻看到,它们能显示我在海洋中的位置和准确方向。 —

Some are known to you, such as the thermometer, which gives the internal temperature of the _Nautilus;
有些对您来说是熟知的,比如温度计,它能显示 鹦鹉螺 内部温度; —

_ the barometer, which indicates the weight of the air and foretells the changes of the weather;
气压计,它可以指示空气的重量并预报天气的变化; —

the hygrometer, which marks the dryness of the atmosphere;
湿度计, —

the storm-glass, the contents of which, by decomposing, announce the approach of tempests;
它能标示空气的干燥程度;晴雨表则通过变色来预示风暴的接近; —

the compass, which guides my course; the sextant, which shows the latitude by the altitude of the sun;
指南针,用于引导航行方向;六分仪,根据太阳高度来显示纬度; —

chronometers, by which I calculate the longitude;
计算经度的航海钟; —

and glasses for day and night, which I use to examine the points of the horizon, when the Nautilus rises to the surface of the waves.”
白天和夜晚用来观察水平方向的望远镜,当 鹦鹉螺 浮出海面时我会使用。”

“These are the usual nautical instruments, ” I replied, “and I know the use of them.
“这些是通常的航海仪器,”我回答道,“我知道它们的用途。” —

But these others, no doubt, answer to the particular requirements of the Nautilus.
但是这些其他的,无疑是为了《鹦鹉螺号》的特殊需求而设计的。 —

This dial with the movable needle is a manometer, is it not?”
这个带可移动指针的刻度盘是一个压力计,对吧?

“It is actually a manometer.
“它实际上是一个压力计。 —

But by communication with the water, whose external pressure it indicates, it gives our depth at the same time.”
但是通过与水的接触,它可以同时显示我们的深度。”

“And these other instruments, the use of which I cannot guess?”
“那这些其他仪器,我猜不到用途是什么?”

“Here, Professor, I ought to give you some explanations.
“教授,我应该给您一些解释。 —

Will you be kind enough to listen to me?”
您愿意听我说吗?”

He was silent for a few moments, then he said—
他沉默了一会儿,然后说道 -

“There is a powerful agent, obedient, rapid, easy, which conforms to every use, and reigns supreme on board my vessel.
“有一种强大的代理者,服从、迅速、方便,在我的船上无所不能。 —

Everything is done by means of it. It lights it, warms it, and is the soul of my mechanical apparatus.
一切都是通过它来完成的。它给船提供光源,加热,是我机械装置的灵魂。 —

This agent is electricity.”
这个代理者就是电力。”

“Electricity?” I cried in surprise.
“电力?”我惊讶地喊道。

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“Nevertheless, Captain, you possess an extreme rapidity of movement, which does not agree with the power of electricity.
“不过,船长,你的移动速度极快,这与电力的能力不相符。” —

Until now, its dynamic force has remained under restraint, and has only been able to produce a small amount of power.”
“迄今为止,它的动力一直被抑制着,只能产生少量的能量。”

“Professor,” said Captain Nemo, “my electricity is not everybody’s.
“教授,”鱼叔说,“我的电力并非人人都能用得了。 —

You know what sea-water is composed of.
你清楚海水由什么组成。” —

In a thousand grammes are found 96½ per cent. of water, and about 2-23 per cent.
“在千克中,有96½%的水,约2-23%的氯化钠; —

of chloride of sodium;

then, in a smaller quantity, chlorides of magnesium and of potassium, bromide of magnesium, sulphate of magnesia, sulphate and carbonate of lime.
“然后是较小量的氯化镁和氯化钾、镁溴化物、硫酸镁、石灰的硫酸盐和碳酸盐。 —

You see, then, that chloride of sodium forms a large part of it.
“看到了吧,氯化钠占了其中很大的一部分。 —

So it is this sodium that I extract from sea-water, and of which I compose my ingredients.
“所以,我从海水中提取这个钠,用它来制作我的成分。 —

I owe all to the ocean;
我要感谢海洋; —

it produces electricity, and electricity gives heat, light, motion, and, in a word, life to the Nautilus.”
它产生电力,而电力提供了热、光、运动,总之,给了“海底旅馆号”生命。

“But not the air you breathe?”
“但不会给你提供呼吸的空气吗?”

“Oh! I could manufacture the air necessary for my consumption, but it is useless, because I go up to the surface of the water when I please.
“哦!我可以制造自己所需的空气,但这是没有用的,因为我愿意时可以浮上水面。 —

However, if electricity does not furnish me with air to breathe, it works at least the powerful pumps that are stored in spacious reservoirs, and which enable me to prolong at need, and as long as I will, my stay in the depths of the sea.
然而,即使电力不能提供给我呼吸的空气,它至少驱动了储存在宽敞的水箱中的强大泵,让我能够在海底逗留的时间由我决定,任意延长。 —

It gives a uniform and unintermittent light, which the sun does not. Now look at this clock;
它提供了统一而持续的光线,太阳无法做到。现在看看这个时钟; —

it is electrical, and goes with a regularity that defies the best chronometers.
它是电动的,比最好的计时器还要准确。 —

I have divided it into twenty-four hours, like the Italian clocks, because for me there is neither night nor day, sun nor moon, but only that factitious light that I take with me to the bottom of the sea.
我将它分为二十四小时,像意大利的时钟一样,因为对我来说,既没有夜晚也没有白天,没有太阳也没有月亮,只有我带到海底的人造光线。 —

Look! just now, it is ten o’clock in the morning.”
看!现在是上午十点钟。”

“Exactly.”
“完全正确。”

“Another application of electricity.
“另一个电力的应用。 —

This dial hanging in front of us indicates the speed of the Nautilus.
挂在我们面前的这个刻度盘可显示鹦鹉螺号的速度。 —

An electric thread puts it in communication with the screw, and the needle indicates the real speed. Look!
一个电线将其与螺旋桨连接,指针显示真实速度。看! —

now we are spinning along with a uniform speed of fifteen miles an hour.”
现在我们以每小时15英里的均匀速度前进。”

“It is marvelous! And I see, Captain, you were right to make use of this agent that takes the place of wind, water, and steam.”
“真是奇妙!看来,船长,您正确地使用了这种代替风、水和蒸汽的能源。”

“We have not finished, M. Aronnax,” said Captain Nemo, rising. “If you will follow me, we will examine the stern of the Nautilus.”
“我们还没有结束,阿洛纳克斯先生,”尼摩船长站起身来说。“如果您跟我来,我们将会检查鹦鹉螺号的船尾。”

Really, I knew already the anterior part of this submarine boat, of which this is the exact division, starting from the ship’s head:
实际上,我已经了解到这艘潜艇的前部,这是从船头开始的精确划分: —

—the dining-room, five yards long, separated from the library by a water-tight partition;
—餐厅,长五码,通过一个防水隔板与图书馆隔开; —

the library, five yards long;
图书馆,长五码; —

the large drawing-room, ten yards long, separated from the Captain’s room by a second water-tight partition;
大客厅,长十码,通过第二个防水隔板与船长的房间隔开; —

the said room, five yards in length;
船长的房间,长五码; —

mine, two and a half yards; and, lastly a reservoir of air, seven and a half yards, that extended to the bows.
我的自家那只有两码半长的小艇;最后,还有一个空气储存器,有七码半长,延伸至船头。 —

Total length thirty five yards, or one hundred and five feet.
总长三十五码,即一百零五英尺。 —

The partitions had doors that were shut hermetically by means of india-rubber instruments, and they ensured the safety of the Nautilus in case of a leak.
分隔间都是用印度橡胶工具密封起来的门,它们可以确保 鹦鹉螺号 在发生泄漏时的安全。

I followed Captain Nemo through the waist, and arrived at the centre of the boat.
我跟随着尼摩船长穿过船中部,来到了船的中央。 —

There was a sort of well that opened between two partitions.
那里有一个类似井口的东西,夹在两个分隔间之间。 —

An iron ladder, fastened with an iron hook to the partition, led to the upper end.
一把铁梯子用铁钩固定在隔墙上,通向上面的一端。 —

I asked the Captain what the ladder was used for.
我问船长,这把梯子是用来做什么的。

“It leads to the small boat,” he said.
“它通往小船,”他说。

“What! have you a boat?” I exclaimed, in surprise.
“什么!你还有一艘小船?”我惊讶地问道。

“Of course; an excellent vessel, light and insubmersible, that serves either as a fishing or as a pleasure boat.”
“当然,这是一艘优秀的船,轻巧且不会沉没,可以用来捕鱼或者娱乐。”

“But then, when you wish to embark, you are obliged to come to the surface of the water?”
“可是,当你想要登船时,你得冒到水面上来吗?”

“Not at all. This boat is attached to the upper part of the hull of the Nautilus, and occupies a cavity made for it.
“一点也不。这艘船连接在《鲸鱼号》船体的上部,并占据了为其准备的一个空腔。 —

It is decked, quite water-tight, and held together by solid bolts.
它是有甲板的,非常防水,并由坚固的螺栓连接。 —

This ladder leads to a man-hole made in the hull of the Nautilus, that corresponds with a similar hole made in the side of the boat.
这个梯子通向《鲸鱼号》船体上的一个舱口,与船舷上的一个类似的舱口相对应。 —

By this double opening I get into the small vessel.
通过这个双层开口,我进入小船。 —

They shut the one belonging to the _Nautilus;
他们关上了《鲸鱼号》上的一个舱口, —

_ I shut the other by means of screw pressure.
我则通过螺丝压力关上了另一个。 —

I undo the bolts, and the little boat goes up to the surface of the sea with prodigious rapidity.
我松开螺栓,小船以惊人的速度升到海面。 —

I then open the panel of the bridge, carefully shut till then;
然后我打开原本非常小心关闭的控制室面板; —

I mast it, hoist my sail, take my oars, and I’m off.”
我竖起桅杆,升起帆,拿起浆,然后出发。”

“But how do you get back on board?”
“但是你怎么回到船上?”

“I do not come back, M. Aronnax;
“我不回去,阿龙纳克斯先生; —

the Nautilus comes to me.”
《鲸鱼号》会找到我。”

“By your orders?”
“根据你的命令吗?”

“By my orders. An electric thread connects us.
“根据我的命令。一根电线连接着我们。 —

I telegraph to it, and that is enough.”
我给它发电报就够了。”

“Really,” I said, astonished at these marvels, “nothing can be more simple.”
“真的吗,”我惊讶地说道,对这些奇迹感到惊讶,”没有什么比这更简单的了。”

After having passed by the cage of the staircase that led to the platform, I saw a cabin six feet long, in which Conseil and Ned Land, enchanted with their repast, were devouring it with avidity.
在经过通向平台的楼梯间的笼子时,我看到了一个六英尺长的小舱,康塞尔和尼德·兰德正魔法般地吃着美食,极度享受。 —

Then a door opened into a kitchen nine feet long, situated between the large storerooms.
然后门打开了,通往两个大储藏室之间长九英尺的厨房。 —

There electricity, better than gas itself, did all the cooking.
在那里,电力比天然气本身更好地完成了烹饪工作。 —

The streams under the furnaces gave out to the sponges of platina a heat which was regularly kept up and distributed.
在炉底下的溪流中,给予铂金海绵一种稳定的热量。 —

They also heated a distilling apparatus, which, by evaporation, furnished excellent drinkable water.
它们还加热了一个蒸馏器,通过蒸发提供了优质的饮用水。 —

Near this kitchen was a bathroom comfortably furnished, with hot and cold water taps.
厨房旁边是一个舒适装置的浴室,有冷热水龙头。

Next to the kitchen was the berthroom of the vessel, sixteen feet long.
厨房旁边是船舱,长达十六英尺。 —

But the door was shut, and I could not see the management of it, which might have given me an idea of the number of men employed on board the Nautilus.
但是门关着,我看不到里面的管理情况,这可能让我对“鹦鹉螺号”上的员工人数有所了解。

At the bottom was a fourth partition that separated this office from the engine-room.
底部有一个第四个分区,将这个办公室与机舱分隔开来。 —

A door opened, and I found myself in the compartment where Captain Nemo—certainly an engineer of a very high order—had arranged his locomotive machinery.
一道门打开了,我发现自己在船长尼摩安排他的火车机械的舱室里——确实是一个非常高超的工程师。 —

This engine-room, clearly lighted, did not measure less than sixty-five feet in length.
这个明亮的机舱显然有不少于65英尺的长度。 —

It was divided into two parts;
它分为两部分; —

the first contained the materials for producing electricity, and the second the machinery that connected it with the screw.
第一部分包含了产生电力所需的材料,第二部分则是将其与螺旋桨连接的机械。 —

I examined it with great interest, in order to understand the machinery of the Nautilus.
我非常有兴趣地仔细观察了它,以便了解鹦鹉螺号的机械设备。

“You see,” said the Captain, “I use Bunsen’s contrivances, not Ruhmkorff’s.
“你看,”船长说,“我使用的是邦生的装置,不是卢姆科夫的。 —

Those would not have been powerful enough.
后者的功率不够强大。 —

Bunsen’s are fewer in number, but strong and large, which experience proves to be the best.
邦生的装置数量较少,但强大且庞大,实践证明这是最好的选择。 —

The electricity produced passes forward, where it works, by electro-magnets of great size, on a system of levers and cog-wheels that transmit the movement to the axle of the screw.
产生的电通过巨大的电磁铁向前传递,通过一套杠杆和齿轮系统将运动传递到螺旋桨的轴上。 —

This one, the diameter of which is nineteen feet, and the thread twenty-three feet, performs about a hundred and twenty revolutions in a second.”
这个直径为19英尺,螺距为23英尺的螺旋桨每秒旋转约120次。

“And you get then?”
“你得到了什么?”

“A speed of fifty miles an hour.”
“时速50英里。”

“I have seen the Nautilus manœuvre before the Abraham Lincoln, and I have my own ideas as to its speed.
“我之前在“亚伯拉罕·林肯”号前见过“鹦鹉螺号”的操纵,我自己对其速度有自己的想法。 —

But this is not enough.
但这还不够。 —

We must see where we go. We must be able to direct it to the right, to the left, above, below.
我们必须看清我们要去的地方。我们必须能够向右、向左、向上、向下调整它。 —

How do you get to the great depths, where you find an increasing resistance, which is rated by hundreds of atmospheres?
你们是如何到达深海的巨大压力区的,那里的阻力已经达到了几百个大气压? —

How do you return to the surface of the ocean?
你们是如何返回海面的? —

And how do you maintain yourselves in the requisite medium?
并且如何在所需介质中维持自身? —

Am I asking too much?”
我问得太多了吗?

“Not at all, Professor,” replied the Captain, with some hesitation; “since you may never leave this submarine boat.
“并不,教授,”舰长犹豫着回答道,“因为您可能永远无法离开这艘潜艇。” —

Come into the saloon, it is our usual study, and there you will learn all you want to know about the Nautilus.”
“请进入客厅,那是我们通常的书房,您会在那里了解一切关于『鹦鹉螺号』的知识。”