The next day I woke with my head singularly clear.
第二天我清醒过来,意识异常清晰。出乎我的意料, —

To my great surprise, I was in my own room.
我竟然又回到了自己的房间。 —

My companions, no doubt, had been reinstated in their cabin, without having perceived it any more than I. Of what had passed during the night they were as ignorant as I was, and to penetrate this mystery I only reckoned upon the chances of the future.
毫无疑问,我的同伴们也肯定回到了他们的舱房,他们跟我一样没有察觉到任何异常。关于昨晚发生的事情,他们和我一样一无所知。我只能寄希望于未来的机会来揭开这个谜团。

I then thought of quitting my room.
于是我想着离开房间。 —

Was I free again or a prisoner? Quite free.
我是自由的还是被囚禁了?我是完全自由的。 —

I opened the door, went to the half-deck, went up the central stairs.
我打开房门,来到中甲板,沿着中央楼梯上去。 —

The panels, shut the evening before, were open. I went on to the platform.
昨晚还关闭的夹层板开了。我走到甲板上。

Ned Land and Conseil waited there for me.
尼德兰和孔塞尔在那里等着我。 —

I questioned them; they knew nothing.
我问他们,他们一无所知。 —

Lost in a heavy sleep in which they had been totally unconscious, they had been astonished at finding themselves in their cabin.
他们陷入沉睡之中,完全没有意识到发生了什么,醒来后发现自己竟然在他们的舱房里,实在让他们感到惊讶。

As for the Nautilus, it seemed quiet and mysterious as ever.
至于鹦鹉螺号,看起来依然宁静而神秘。 —

It floated on the surface of the waves at a moderate pace.
它以适度的速度漂浮在海浪上, —

Nothing seemed changed on board.
似乎什么也没有改变。

The second lieutenant then came on to the platform, and gave the usual order below.
接着,副尉登上了平台,并下达了通常的指令。

As for Captain Nemo, he did not appear.
至于尼莫船长,他没有出现。

Of the people on board, I only saw the impassive steward, who served me with his usual dumb regularity.
在船上,我只看到了那位冷漠的服务员,他像往常一样默默地给我上菜。

About two o’clock, I was in the drawing-room, busied in arranging my notes, when the Captain opened the door and appeared.
大约两点钟时,我正在客厅整理笔记,这时船长打开门出现了。我向他鞠了一躬。 —

I bowed.

He made a slight inclination in return, without speaking.
他微微回了一礼,但没有说话。 —

I resumed my work, hoping that he would perhaps give me some explanation of the events of the preceding night.
我继续工作,希望他也许会给我解释一下前一晚发生的事情。 —

He made none. I looked at him. He seemed fatigued;
他没有解释。我看着他。他似乎很疲惫; —

his heavy eyes had not been refreshed by sleep;
他沉重的眼睛没有得到充足的休息; —

his face looked very sorrowful.
他的脸看起来非常悲伤。 —

He walked to and fro, sat down and got up again, took a chance book, put it down, consulted his instruments without taking his habitual notes, and seemed restless and uneasy.
他来回走动,坐下又站起来,拿起一本凑巧的书,又放下,没有按惯例记录下他的仪器测量数据,看起来心神不定、不安。 —

At last, he came up to me, and said:
最后,他走到我面前,说道:

“Are you a doctor, M. Aronnax?”
“阿罗纳克斯先生,你是医生吗?”

I so little expected such a question that I stared some time at him without answering.
我实在没想到他会问这样一个问题,所以我凝视着他一段时间没有回答。

“Are you a doctor?” he repeated.
“你是医生吗?”他重复道,” —

“Several of your colleagues have studied medicine.”
你的几个同事都学过医学。”

“Well,” said I, “I am a doctor and resident surgeon to the hospital.
“嗯,”我说道,”我是一名医生,也是医院的住院医生。 —

I practised several years before entering the museum.”
在进入博物馆之前,我已经执业了好几年。”

“Very well, sir.”
“非常好,先生。”

My answer had evidently satisfied the Captain. But, not knowing what he would say next, I waited for other questions, reserving my answers according to circumstances.
我的回答显然满足了船长。但是,不知道他接下来会问什么,我等待着其他问题,根据情况保留我的回答。

“M. Aronnax, will you consent to prescribe for one of my men?
“阿罗纳克斯先生,你愿意为我其中一名船员开药吗?” —

” he asked.
他问道。

“Is he ill?”
“他病了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“I am ready to follow you.”
“我愿意跟着你去。”

“Come, then.”
“那就来吧。”

I own my heart beat, I do not know why.
我承认我的心跳加速, —

I saw certain connection between the illness of one of the crew and the events of the day before;
我不知道为什么。我觉得船员的病与前一天发生的事件有某种联系; —

and this mystery interested me at least as much as the sick man.
而这个谜团对我来说至少与病人一样有趣。

Captain Nemo conducted me to the poop of the Nautilus, and took me into a cabin situated near the sailors’ quarters.
尼摩船长带我到了”鹦鹉螺号”的船尾,领我进入了位于水手宿舍附近的一间舱室。

There, on a bed, lay a man about forty years of age, with a resolute expression of countenance, a true type of an Anglo-Saxon.
在床上躺着一个四十多岁、坚定表情的男人,真正的盎格鲁-撒克逊人的典型。

I leant over him. He was not only ill, he was wounded.
我俯身在他身上。他不仅生病了, —

His head, swathed in bandages covered with blood, lay on a pillow.
还受伤了。他头上裹着鲜血的绷带,枕在枕头上。 —

I undid the bandages, and the wounded man looked at me with his large eyes and gave no sign of pain as I did it.
我解开绷带,那个受伤的人用他的大眼睛看着我,没有痛苦的表情。 —

It was a horrible wound.
那是一个可怕的伤口。 —

The skull, shattered by some deadly weapon, left the brain exposed, which was much injured.
颅骨被某种致命的武器打碎了,露出的脑子也受了很重的伤。 —

Clots of blood had formed in the bruised and broken mass, in colour like the dregs of wine.
血块在瘀伤和破碎的肉块中凝结,颜色像酒渣一样。

There was both contusion and suffusion of the brain.
在脑子里既有擦伤又有出血。 —

His breathing was slow, and some spasmodic movements of the muscles agitated his face.
他呼吸缓慢,一些痉挛的肌肉运动使他的脸颤动。 —

I felt his pulse. It was intermittent.
我感到他的脉搏。脉搏是间歇性的。 —

The extremities of the body were growing cold already, and I saw death must inevitably ensue.
身体的四肢已经开始变冷,我明白死亡不可避免。 —

After dressing the unfortunate man’s wounds, I readjusted the bandages on his head, and turned to Captain Nemo.
给这个倒霉的人包扎完伤口后,我重新调整了他头上的绷带,然后转向尼摩船长。

“What caused this wound?” I asked.
“这个伤是怎么造成的?”我问道。

“What does it signify?” he replied, evasively.
“这是什么意味?”他回答,含糊其辞地说。 —

“A shock has broken one of the levers of the engine, which struck myself.
“一次冲击打断了引擎的一个杠杆,击中了我自己。” —

But your opinion as to his state?”
“你对他的状态有何看法?”

I hesitated before giving it.
我犹豫了一下,然后给出了回答。

“You may speak,” said the Captain.
“你可以说了,”船长说。 —

“This man does not understand French.”
“这个人听不懂法语。”

I gave a last look at the wounded man.
我最后再看了一眼受伤的人。

“He will be dead in two hours.”
“他会在两个小时内死去。”

“Can nothing save him?”
“没有什么可以救他的。”

“Nothing.”
“没有。”

Captain Nemo’s hand contracted, and some tears glistened in his eyes, which I thought incapable of shedding any.
海底船长的手紧握着,眼睛里闪着一些泪水,我原以为他不会有眼泪流出来。

For some moments I still watched the dying man, whose life ebbed slowly.
有一段时间,我还在注视着这个濒死的人,他的生命在缓慢消失。 —

His pallor increased under the electric light that was shed over his death-bed.
他的苍白在电灯的照射下更加明显,照在他临终的床上。 —

I looked at his intelligent forehead, furrowed with premature wrinkles, produced probably by misfortune and sorrow.
我看着他聪明而布满早熟皱纹的前额,这些皱纹可能是由不幸和悲伤造成的。 —

I tried to learn the secret of his life from the last words that escaped his lips.
我试图从他嘴里逃脱的最后几个词语中了解他生活的秘密。

“You can go now, M. Aronnax,” said the Captain.
“你现在可以走了,阿罗纳克斯先生,”船长说道。

I left him in the dying man’s cabin, and returned to my room much affected by this scene.
我把他留在那个垂死者的小屋里,回到房间时,我被这一幕深深感动。 —

During the whole day, I was haunted by uncomfortable suspicions, and at night I slept badly, and between my broken dreams I fancied I heard distant sighs like the notes of a funeral psalm.
整天我都被不舒服的猜疑所困扰,晚上我睡得很不好,梦中我仿佛听到遥远的叹息,像是葬礼进行曲的音符。 —

Were they the prayers of the dead, murmured in that language that I could not understand?
那些是死者用我听不懂的语言低声祈祷吗?

The next morning I went on to the bridge.
第二天早上我去了桥上, —

Captain Nemo was there before me.
尼摩船长已经在我之前到了那里。 —

As soon as he perceived me he came to me.
他一看见我就走过来。

“Professor, will it be convenient to you to make a submarine excursion to-day?”
“教授,你今天方便进行一次潜水探险吗?”

“With my companions?” I asked.
我问,“和我的同伴一起吗?”

“If they like.”
“如果他们愿意的话。”

“We obey your orders, Captain.”
“我们听从您的命令,船长。”

“Will you be so good then as to put on your cork jackets?”
“那么请你们穿上救生衣,好吗?”

It was not a question of dead or dying.
这次不关乎死人或垂死的人。 —

I rejoined Ned Land and Conseil, and told them of Captain Nemo’s proposition.
我找到了尼德兰和康塞尔,告诉他们尼摩船长的提议。 —

Conseil hastened to accept it, and this time the Canadian seemed quite willing to follow our example.
康塞尔立即接受了,而这次加拿大人似乎也很愿意效仿我们的做法。

It was eight o’clock in the morning.
早上八点钟。八点半的时候, —

At half-past eight we were equipped for this new excursion, and provided with two contrivances for light and breathing.
我们准备好了这次新的探险,并准备了两种轻便的呼吸设备。 —

The double door was open; and, accompanied by Captain Nemo, who was followed by a dozen of the crew, we set foot, at a depth of about thirty feet, on the solid bottom on which the Nautilus rested.
双门敞开着;在船长尼莫的陪同下,紧随其后的一打船员的跟随下,我们踏上了深约三十英尺的坚实海底,那是鹦鹉螺号停泊的地方。

A slight declivity ended in an uneven bottom, at fifteen fathoms depth.
一个轻微的下坡趋势以五十五米深度的不平坦海底结束。 —

This bottom differed entirely from the one I had visited on my first excursion under the waters of the Pacific Ocean. Here, there was no fine sand, no submarine prairies, no sea-forest.
这个海底与我在太平洋下水的第一次探险时所见完全不同。这里没有细沙,没有海底草原,也没有海底森林。 —

I immediately recognised that marvellous region in which, on that day, the Captain did the honours to us.
我立即认出了那个奇妙的地方,就是那天船长亲自向我们展示的地方。 —

It was the coral kingdom.
那是珊瑚王国。

The light produced a thousand charming varieties, playing in the midst of the branches that were so vividly coloured.
光线在树枝中产生了千奇百怪的变化,活灵活现。 —

I seemed to see the membraneous and cylindrical tubes tremble beneath the undulation of the waters.
我似乎看到那些膜状和圆柱状的管子在水的波动下颤动着。 —

I was tempted to gather their fresh petals, ornamented with delicate tentacles, some just blown, the others budding, while a small fish, swimming swiftly, touched them slightly, like flights of birds.
我忍不住想要收集它们娇嫩的花瓣,装饰着细腻的触手,有些刚刚绽放,另一些还未开放,而一条小鱼迅速游过,轻轻触碰它们,就像一群鸟在飞翔。 —

But if my hand approached these living flowers, these animated, sensitive plants, the whole colony took alarm.
但是,当我的手靠近这些生机勃勃的花朵、这些有感觉的植物时,整个群体都惊了起来。 —

The white petals re-entered their red cases, the flowers faded as I looked, and the bush changed into a block of stony knobs.
白色的花瓣重新收回了红色的外壳,花朵在我看过去的时候褪色,灌木丛变成了一块块石头。

Chance had thrown me just by the most precious specimens of the zoophyte.
机缘巧合地,我来到了最珍贵的珊瑚标本旁边。 —

This coral was more valuable than that found in the Mediterranean, on the coasts of France, Italy and Barbary.
这些珊瑚比在地中海、法国、意大利和巴巴里海岸发现的珊瑚更有价值。 —

Its tints justified the poetical names of “Flower of Blood,” and “Froth of Blood, ” that trade has given to its most beautiful productions.
它们的颜色正好称得上是“血色之花”和“血沫”,这是商人给它们最美丽的产品取的诗意名字。 —

Coral is sold for £20 per ounce;
珊瑚的价格是每盎司20英镑, —

and in this place the watery beds would make the fortunes of a company of coral-divers.
在这个地方,水中的珊瑚床可以给一家珊瑚潜水公司带来巨大的财富。 —

This precious matter, often confused with other polypi, formed then the inextricable plots called “macciota, ” and on which I noticed several beautiful specimens of pink coral.
这种珍贵的物质常常与其他多形虫混淆,形成了被称为“马西奥塔”的不可脱离的情节,我注意到其中有几个漂亮的粉红珊瑚标本。

But soon the bushes contract, and the arborisations increase.
但很快灌木丛收缩,树冠扩张。 —

Real petrified thickets, long joints of fantastic architecture, were disclosed before us.
真正的石化丛林,奇幻建筑的长节间,被我们揭示了出来。 —

Captain Nemo placed himself under a dark gallery, where by a slight declivity we reached a depth of a hundred yards.
尼摩船长站在一个黑暗的走廊下,我们通过一个轻微的倾斜到达100码的深度。 —

The light from our lamps produced sometimes magical effects, following the rough outlines of the natural arches and pendants disposed like lustres, that were tipped with points of fire.
我们的灯光产生了时而魔幻的效果,跟随着天然拱门和吊灯的粗糙轮廓,尖端点缀着火焰。

At last, after walking two hours, we had attained a depth of about three hundred yards, that is to say, the extreme limit on which coral begins to form.
最后,经过两个小时的步行,我们达到了约三百码的深度,即珊瑚开始形成的极限。 —

But there was no isolated bush, nor modest brushwood, at the bottom of lofty trees.
但在高大树木的底部并没有孤立的灌木丛,也没有谦逊的灌木丛。 —

It was an immense forest of large mineral vegetations, enormous petrified trees, united by garlands of elegant sea-bindweed, all adorned with clouds and reflections.
这是一个巨大的矿物植被的森林,巨大的化石树木,它们被优雅的海藤花环联结在一起,点缀着云彩和倒影。 —

We passed freely under their high branches, lost in the shade of the waves.
我们自由地穿过它们高大的树枝下面,迷失在浪花的阴影中。

Captain Nemo had stopped. I and my companions halted, and, turning round, I saw his men were forming a semi-circle round their chief.
尼莫船长停了下来。我和我的伙伴们停下来,转过身来,看到他的手下们正在他们的首领周围形成一个半圆。 —

Watching attentively, I observed that four of them carried on their shoulders an object of an oblong shape.
我仔细观察着,发现其中四个人肩上背着一个长方形的物体。

We occupied, in this place, the centre of a vast glade surrounded by the lofty foliage of the submarine forest.
在这个地方,我们站在一个被巨大树冠环绕着的广阔空地中间。 —

Our lamps threw over this place a sort of clear twilight that singularly elongated the shadows on the ground.
我们的灯光在这个地方投射出一种明亮的黄昏,使地面上的阴影异常拉长。 —

At the end of the glade the darkness increased, and was only relieved by little sparks reflected by the points of coral.
在空地的尽头,黑暗逐渐增加,只有珊瑚的尖点反射的小火花才能解脱它的压抑。

Ned Land and Conseil were near me. We watched, and I thought I was going to witness a strange scene.
尼德·兰和康赛尔靠近我。我们目不转睛地观察着,我想我即将目睹一幕奇特的场景。 —

On observing the ground, I saw that it was raised in certain places by slight excrescences encrusted with limy deposits, and disposed with a regularity that betrayed the hand of man.
在观察地面时,我看到有些地方被微小的突起物覆盖着钙化物沉积物,并且呈规律地排列,这显示出人的手迹。

In the midst of the glade, on a pedestal of rocks roughly piled up, stood a cross of coral that extended its long arms that one might have thought were made of petrified blood.
在树林中央,一座由粗糙堆积的岩石构成的基座上,矗立着一座珊瑚十字架,宛如被石化的血液延伸开的长臂。 —

Upon a sign from Captain Nemo one of the men advanced;
在尼摩船长示意下,一个人前进了一步; —

and at some feet from the cross he began to dig a hole with a pickaxe that he took from his belt.
在离十字架几英尺的地方,他开始用从腰带上拿出的鹤嘴锄挖洞。 —

I understood all! This glade was a cemetery, this hole a tomb, this oblong object the body of the man who had died in the night!
我明白了!这片树林是一个墓地,这个洞是一个坟墓,这个长方形的物体是昨晚死去的人的遗体! —

The Captain and his men had come to bury their companion in this general resting-place, at the bottom of this inaccessible ocean!
船长和他的船员们来到这片难以接近的海底,把他们的伙伴埋葬在这个共同的安息之所!

The grave was being dug slowly;
墓穴正在缓慢地被挖掘, —

the fish fled on all sides while their retreat was being thus disturbed;
鱼类四处逃窜,因为它们的避难所被打扰了。 —

I heard the strokes of the pickaxe, which sparkled when it hit upon some flint lost at the bottom of the waters.
我听到凿子的敲击声,在水底失落的燧石上碰撞出火花。 —

The hole was soon large and deep enough to receive the body.
坑很快变得又大又深以容纳尸体。 —

Then the bearers approached;
然后扛尸者接近; —

the body, enveloped in a tissue of white linen, was lowered into the damp grave.
身体裹着白亚麻布,被放入潮湿的坟墓里。 —

Captain Nemo, with his arms crossed on his breast, and all the friends of him who had loved them, knelt in prayer.
船长尼摩交叉双臂,以及所有爱他的人,跪地祈祷。

[Illustration] All fell on their knees in an attitude of prayer
[插图]所有人都跪着,以祈祷的姿势。

The grave was then filled in with the rubbish taken from the ground, which formed a slight mound. When this was done, Captain Nemo and his men rose;
然后用从地下挖出的垃圾填满了坟墓,形成了一个细微的丘陵。当这完成后,尼摩船长和他的人起身; —

then, approaching the grave, they knelt again, and all extended their hands in sign of a last adieu.
然后,走近坟墓,他们再次跪下,所有人伸出手作最后的告别。 —

Then the funeral procession returned to the Nautilus, passing under the arches of the forest, in the midst of thickets, along the coral bushes, and still on the ascent.
然后葬礼队伍回到鹦鹉螺号,穿过森林的拱门,在灌木丛中,沿着珊瑚丛前行,仍然在上坡。 —

At last the light of the ship appeared, and its luminous track guided us to the Nautilus.
最后,船的灯光出现了,它的光轨引导着我们回到鹦鹉螺号。 —

At one o’clock we had returned.
一点钟的时候我们已经回来了。

As soon as I had changed my clothes I went up on to the platform, and, a prey to conflicting emotions, I sat down near the binnacle.
我一换上衣服,就走上了平台,内心充满了矛盾的情绪,我坐在指南针旁边。 —

Captain Nemo joined me. I rose and said to him:
尼莫船长走了过来。我站起来对他说:

“So, as I said he would, this man died in the night?”
“所以,正如我所说,这个人在夜里死了?”

“Yes, M. Aronnax.”
“是的,阿诺纳克斯先生。”

“And he rests now, near his companions, in the coral cemetery?”
“他现在安息在珊瑚墓地,和他的同伴们一起?”

“Yes, forgotten by all else, but not by us.
“是的,被其他所有人遗忘,但不是被我们。 —

We dug the grave, and the polypi undertake to seal our dead for eternity.
我们挖了坟墓,水母承诺永远将我们的死者密封。” —

” And, burying his face quickly in his hands, he tried in vain to suppress a sob.
他突然用手捂住脸,试图抑制住哭声。然后他补充道: —

Then he added:

“Our peaceful cemetery is there, some hundred feet below the surface of the waves.”
“我们和平的墓地就在那里,深埋海底几百英尺之下。”

“Your dead sleep quietly, at least, Captain, out of the reach of sharks.”
“至少,船长先生,你们的死者可以安静地入睡,远离鲨鱼的掠夺。”

“Yes, sir, of sharks and men, ” gravely replied the Captain.
“是的,先生,远离鲨鱼和人类。”船长庄重地回答道。