During the nights of the 13th and 14th of March, the Nautilus returned to its southerly course.
在3月13日和14日的夜晚,” 鹦鹉螺号”返回了南方航线。 —

I fancied that, when on a level with Cape Horn, he would turn the helm westward, in order to beat the Pacific seas, and so complete the tour of the world.
我觉得,当船靠近好望角时,他会将舵向西,以应对太平洋的海浪,完成环游世界之旅。 —

He did nothing of the kind, but continued on his way to the southern regions.
可他并没有这样做,而是继续航行向南方地区。他要去哪里呢? —

Where was he going to? To the pole? It was madness!
去极地吗?简直是疯了! —

I began to think that the Captain’s temerity justified Ned Land’s fears.
我开始觉得船长的鲁莽行为正好印证了尼德·兰德的担忧。 —

For some time past the Canadian had not spoken to me of his projects of flight;
最近一段时间,加拿大人没有和我提起他的逃亡计划, —

he was less communicative, almost silent.
他变得不太健谈,几乎沉默寡言。 —

I could see that this lengthened imprisonment was weighing upon him, and I felt that rage was burning within him.
我可以感觉到这段漫长的监禁正在压迫他,我感到他内心燃烧着愤怒。 —

When he met the Captain, his eyes lit up with suppressed anger;
当他遇到船长时,他的眼睛闪着被压抑的愤怒, —

and I feared that his natural violence would lead him into some extreme.
我担心他的天性暴戾会导致他采取极端行动。 —

That day, the 14th of March, Conseil and he came to me in my room.
那天,也就是3月14日,康塞尔和他来到我的房间。 —

I inquired the cause of their visit.
我询问了他们的来意。

“A simple question to ask you, sir, ” replied the Canadian.
“加拿大人回答道:“先生,我有一个简单的问题要问您。”

“Speak, Ned.”
“说吧,尼德。”

“How many men are there on board the Nautilus, do you think?”
“您认为鹦鹉螺号上有多少人?”

“I cannot tell, my friend.”
“我说不准,朋友。”

“I should say that its working does not require a large crew.”
“我想说,在目前的情况下,不需要很多人来操作。”

“Certainly, under existing conditions, ten men, at the most, ought to be enough.”
“当然,在现有条件下,最多十个人就足够了。”

“Well, why should there be any more?”
“那么,为什么还需要更多人呢?”

“Why?” I replied, looking fixedly at Ned Land, whose meaning was easy to guess.
“为什么?”我注视着尼德·兰德,很容易猜到他的意思。 —

“Because,” I added, “if my surmises are correct, and if I have well understood the Captain’s existence, the Nautilus is not only a vessel:
“因为,”我补充道,“如果我的猜测是正确的,如果我已经正确理解船长的存在,鹦鹉螺号不仅仅是一艘船: —

it is also a place of refuge for those who, like its commander, have broken every tie upon earth.”
它还是一个避难所,供那些像船长一样,已经断绝了与地球上的一切联系的人们。”

“Perhaps so,” said Conseil; “but, in any case, the Nautilus can only contain a certain number of men.
“也许是这样,”康塞尔说道, “但无论如何,鹦鹉螺号只能容纳一定数量的人。 —

Could not you, sir, estimate their maximum?”
先生,您能不能估计一下他们的最大人数?”

“How, Conseil?”
“康塞尔,怎么估计呢?”

“By calculation; given the size of the vessel, which you know, sir, and consequently the quantity of air it contains, knowing also how much each man expends at a breath, and comparing these results with the fact that the Nautilus is obliged to go to the surface every twenty-four hours.”
“通过计算;根据船舱的大小,这是您知道的,先生,因此可以知道船舱包含的空气数量,再加上每个人在一次呼吸中消耗的空气量,将这些结果与‘鹦鹉螺号’每二十四小时被迫浮出水面的事实进行比较。”

Conseil had not finished the sentence before I saw what he was driving at.
我还没等康赛尔说完这句话,我就知道他的意思了。

“I understand,” said I; “but that calculation, though simple enough, can give but a very uncertain result.”
“我明白了”,我说,“但是这个计算虽然很简单,但结果可能不太准确。”

“Never mind,” said Ned Land urgently.
“不要紧的”,尼德兰紧急地说道。

“Here it is, then,” said I. “In one hour each man consumes the oxygen contained in twenty gallons of air;
“那好吧”,我说,“每个人每小时消耗的氧气相当于二十加仑的空气; —

and in twenty-four, that contained in 480 gallons. We must, therefore find how many times 480 gallons of air the Nautilus contains.”
并且在二十四小时内消耗了相当于四百八十加仑的空气。因此我们必须计算一下‘鹦鹉螺号’含有多少个四百八十加仑的空气。”

“Just so,” said Conseil.
“是的,”康赛尔说道。

“Or,” I continued, “the size of the Nautilus being 1, 500 tons;
“要么,”我接着说,“‘鹦鹉螺号’的大小为一千五百吨; —

and one ton holding 200 gallons, it contains 300, 000 gallons of air, which, divided by 480, gives a quotient of 625.
并且一个吨等于二百加仑,所以它包含三十万加仑的空气,将其除以四百八十,得到的商是六百二十五。 —

Which means to say, strictly speaking, that the air contained in the Nautilus would suffice for 625 men for twenty-four hours.”
严格来说,这意味着“海底两万里”中的空气足够供发电机使用,可以维持625个人24小时。

“Six hundred and twenty-five!” repeated Ned.
“六百二十五人!”尼德重复道。

“But remember that all of us, passengers, sailors, and officers included, would not form a tenth part of that number.”
“但请记住,包括我们在内的所有乘客、船员和军官加起来还不到那个数字的十分之一。”

“Still too many for three men,” murmured Conseil.
“对于三个人来说,仍然太多了。”孔塞伊喃喃道。

The Canadian shook his head, passed his hand across his forehead, and left the room without answering.
加拿大人摇摇头,从额头上划过一道,没有回答就离开了房间。

“Will you allow me to make one observation, sir?
“先生,可以允许我提一点意见吗? —

” said Conseil. “Poor Ned is longing for everything that he can not have.
”孔塞伊说。“可怜的尼德渴望得到一切他得不到的。 —

His past life is always present to him;
过去的生活对他来说总是存在的; —

everything that we are forbidden he regrets.
我们被禁止的一切他都会后悔。 —

His head is full of old recollections.
他的头脑里充满了旧的回忆。 —

And we must understand him. What has he to do here?
我们必须理解他。他在这里有什么事情可做呢? —

Nothing; he is not learned like you, sir;
没有;他不像你这样博学, —

and has not the same taste for the beauties of the sea that we have.
对海洋的美景也没有我们同样的兴趣。 —

He would risk everything to be able to go once more into a tavern in his own country.”
他愿意冒一切风险,只为能再次进入自己国家的一家旅馆。”

Certainly the monotony on board must seem intolerable to the Canadian, accustomed as he was to a life of liberty and activity.
在加拿大习惯了自由与活动的生活的人来说,船上的单调无聊肯定是难以忍受的。 —

Events were rare which could rouse him to any show of spirit; but that day an event did happen which recalled the bright days of the harpooner.
很少有事件能够激起他展现出任何精神的表现;但那一天发生了一件事,让他回想起曾经快乐的捕鲸日子。 —

About eleven in the morning, being on the surface of the ocean, the Nautilus fell in with a troop of whales—an encounter which did not astonish me, knowing that these creatures, hunted to death, had taken refuge in high latitudes.
在上午11点左右,潜水艇迎来了一群鲸鱼,这并没有让我感到惊讶,因为我知道这些被人类猎杀至死的动物已经在高纬度找到了避难所。

We were seated on the platform, with a quiet sea.
我们坐在甲板上,海面平静。 —

The month of October in those latitudes gave us some lovely autumnal days.
在那些纬度,十月给我们带来了一些美丽的秋日。 —

It was the Canadian—he could not be mistaken—who signalled a whale on the eastern horizon.
那是加拿大人,他不会搞错的,他在东方的地平线上发现了一只鲸鱼。 —

Looking attentively, one might see its black back rise and fall with the waves five miles from the Nautilus.
仔细观察,人们可以看到它的黑背随着波浪一起起伏,离“鹦鹉螺号”有五英里远。

“Ah!” exclaimed Ned Land, “if I was on board a whaler, now such a meeting would give me pleasure.
“啊!” Ned Land 喊道,”如果我现在在捕鲸船上,这样的相遇会让我高兴。 —

It is one of large size.
这是只非常大的鲸鱼。” —

See with what strength its blow-holes throw up columns of air an steam!
看它的喷孔用多大的力量喷出气柱和蒸汽! —

Confound it, why am I bound to these steel plates?”
糟糕,我为什么要被这些钢板束缚住呢?

“What, Ned,” said I, “you have not forgotten your old ideas of fishing?”
“怎么了,Ned,你忘记了你钓鱼的老招数了吗?”

“Can a whale-fisher ever forget his old trade, sir?
“一个捕鲸人会忘记他的老本行吗, —

Can he ever tire of the emotions caused by such a chase?”
先生?他会对这样的追逐感到厌倦吗?”

“You have never fished in these seas, Ned?”
“你从来没有在这片海域捕鱼过,Ned?”

“Never, sir; in the northern only, and as much in Behring as in Davis Straits.”
“从来没有,先生;只在北方,无论是白令海还是戴维斯海峡。”

“Then the southern whale is still unknown to you.
“那么南方的鲸鱼对你来说仍然是未知的。 —

It is the Greenland whale you have hunted up to this time, and that would not risk passing through the warm waters of the equator.
你追捕的是格陵兰鲸,它不愿冒险穿过赤道的温暖水域。” —

Whales are localised, according to their kinds, in certain seas which they never leave.
鲸鱼根据种类在某些海域局限活动,它们从不离开这些海域。 —

And if one of these creatures went from Behring to Davis Straits, it must be simply because there is a passage from one sea to the other, either on the American or the Asiatic side.”
如果其中一只鲸鱼从白令前往戴维斯海峡,那只能说明在美洲或亚洲的一侧有从一个海域到另一个海域的通道。”

“In that case, as I have never fished in these seas, I do not know the kind of whale frequenting them!”
“那样的话,我从来没有在这些海域钓过鱼,所以我不知道常出没的鲸鱼是什么样的!”

“I have told you, Ned.”
“我告诉过你了,Ned。”

“A greater reason for making their acquaintance, ” said Conseil.
“这更加有理由去认识它们,”Conseil说道。

“Look! look!” exclaimed the Canadian, “they approach:
“看!看!”加拿大人惊呼道,“它们靠近了: —

they aggravate me; they know that I cannot get at them!”
它们激怒我;它们知道我无法对付它们!”

Ned stamped his feet. His hand trembled, as he grasped an imaginary harpoon.
Ned跺了跺脚,他颤抖着手,仿佛紧握着一根想象中的鱼叉。

“Are these cetaceans as large as those of the northern seas?
“这些鲸类和北海的一样大吗? —

” asked he.
”他问道。

“Very nearly, Ned.”
“非常接近,Ned。”

“Because I have seen large whales, sir, whales measuring a hundred feet.
“因为我见过大鲸鱼,先生,一百英尺长的鲸鱼。 —

I have even been told that those of Hullamoch and Umgallick, of the Aleutian Islands, are sometimes a hundred and fifty feet long.”
我甚至听说Hullamoch和Umgallick的那些鲸,阿留申群岛的鲸有时长达一百五十英尺。”

“That seems to me exaggeration.
“那对我来说有些夸张。 —

These creatures are only balaeaopterons, provided with dorsal fins;
这些生物只是带有背鳍的大翼鲸; —

and, like the cachalots, are generally much smaller than the Greenland whale.”
而且,像抹香鲸一样,它们通常比格陵兰鲸要小得多。”

“Ah!” exclaimed the Canadian, whose eyes had never left the ocean, “they are coming nearer;
“啊!”加拿大人惊呼道,他的眼睛从未离开过海洋,“它们越来越近了; —

they are in the same water as the Nautilus.”
它们和『鹦鹉螺』在同一片水域。”

Then, returning to the conversation, he said:
然后,回到谈话中,他说:

“You spoke of the cachalot as a small creature.
“你说抹香鲸是小动物, —

I have heard of gigantic ones.
我听说它们也有巨大的。 —

They are intelligent cetacea.
它们是聪明的鲸类动物。” —

It is said of some that they cover themselves with seaweed and fucus, and then are taken for islands.
据说它们会用海草和海藻覆盖自己,然后被误认为是岛屿。 —

People encamp upon them, and settle there;
人们在上面搭帐篷,定居下来; —

lights a fire——”
点燃篝火——”

“And build houses,” said Conseil.
“还建造房屋,”康塞尔说道。

“Yes, joker,” said Ned Land. “And one fine day the creature plunges, carrying with it all the inhabitants to the bottom of the sea.”
“是的,开玩笑的家伙,”尼德兰德说。“然后有一天,这种生物突然下潜,带走所有的居民沉入海底。”

“Something like the travels of Sinbad the Sailor, ” I replied, laughing.
“有点像辛巴达的旅行,”我笑着回答道。

“Ah!” suddenly exclaimed Ned Land, “it is not one whale;
“啊!”尼德兰德突然叫道,“不只是一只鲸鱼; —

there are ten—there are twenty—it is a whole troop!
有十只、有二十只,整整一群! —

And I not able to do anything!
而我却束手无策!双手和双脚都被绑住了! —

hands and feet tied!”

“But, friend Ned,” said Conseil, “why do you not ask Captain Nemo’s permission to chase them?”
“但是,朋友尼德,”孔塞尔说,“你为什么不请求尼莫船长的允许去追捕它们呢?”

Conseil had not finished his sentence when Ned Land had lowered himself through the panel to seek the Captain.
孔塞尔还没说完这句话,尼德·兰德已经通过舱盖下去找船长了。 —

A few minutes afterwards the two appeared together on the platform.
几分钟后,两人一同出现在甲板上。

Captain Nemo watched the troop of cetacea playing on the waters about a mile from the Nautilus.
尼莫船长注视着一群鲸类在离“鹦鹉螺号”大约一英里的水域玩耍。

“They are southern whales,” said he;
“它们是南方鲸,”他说, —

“there goes the fortune of a whole fleet of whalers.”
“足够一整支捕鲸船队致富的运气啊。”

“Well, sir,” asked the Canadian, “can I not chase them, if only to remind me of my old trade of harpooner?”
“好吧,先生,”加拿大人问道,“难道我不能追捕它们,以此来回忆我当鱼叉手的旧职业吗?”

“And to what purpose?” replied Captain Nemo;
“又有何用呢?”尼莫船长回答道, —

“only to destroy! We have nothing to do with the whale-oil on board.”
“只是为了杀戮!我们没有必要在船上存储鲸油。”

“But, sir,” continued the Canadian, “in the Red Sea you allowed us to follow the dugong.”
“但是,先生,”加拿大人继续说道,“在红海,您允许我们追踪儒艮。”

“Then it was to procure fresh meat for my crew.
“那是为了给我的船员带来新鲜的肉食。 —

Here it would be killing for killing’s sake.
在这里,纯粹是为了杀戮而杀戮。” —

I know that is a privilege reserved for man, but I do not approve of such murderous pastime.
我知道这是一种男人的特权,但我不赞同这样的杀人游戏。 —

In destroying the southern whale (like the Greenland whale, an inoffensive creature), your traders do a culpable action, Master Land. They have already depopulated the whole of Baffin’s Bay, and are annihilating a class of useful animals.
毁灭南方鲸类(就像格陵兰鲸一样无害的生物),你们的商人做了一种有罪的行动,兰德先生。他们已经清空了整个巴芬海湾,正在消灭一类有用的动物。 —

Leave the unfortunate cetacea alone.
别打扰那些不幸的鲸鱼。 —

They have plenty of natural enemies—cachalots, swordfish, and sawfish—without you troubling them.”
它们已经有足够多的天敌了——抹香鲸、剑鱼和锯鱼。

The Captain was right. The barbarous and inconsiderate greed of these fishermen will one day cause the disappearance of the last whale in the ocean.
船长说得对。这些渔夫的野蛮和不顾后果的贪婪行为迟早会导致海洋最后的鲸鱼消失。 —

Ned Land whistled “Yankee-doodle” between his teeth, thrust his hands into his pockets, and turned his back upon us.
内德·兰德口哨吹起了“亚麻格子”之后,把手插进口袋里,转过身背对着我们。 —

But Captain Nemo watched the troop of cetacea, and, addressing me, said:
但是尼摩船长注视着那群鲸鱼,对我说:

“I was right in saying that whales had natural enemies enough, without counting man.
“我说过鲸鱼已经有足够多的天敌了,不用再算上人类。” —

These will have plenty to do before long. Do you see, M. Aronnax, about eight miles to leeward, those blackish moving points?”
不久之后,这些事情就会有很多要做了。你看见了吗,Aronnax先生,在反风方向大约八英里处,那些黑色移动的点吗?

“Yes, Captain,” I replied.
是的,船长,我回答道。

“Those are cachalots—terrible animals, which I have met in troops of two or three hundred.
那些是抹香鲸 - 可怕的动物,我曾见过两三百只成群结队的。 —

As to those, they are cruel, mischievous creatures;
至于它们,它们是残忍的、恶作剧的生物; —

they would be right in exterminating them.”
灭绝它们是对的。

The Canadian turned quickly at the last words.
加拿大人在听到最后一句话时迅速转身。

“Well, Captain,” said he, “it is still time, in the interest of the whales.”
“嗯,船长,”他说,“还来得及,从抹香鲸的角度出发。”

“It is useless to expose one’s self, Professor.
“教授,暴露自己是没用的。 —

The Nautilus will disperse them.
鹦鹉螺号会驱散它们的。 —

It is armed with a steel spur as good as Master Land’s harpoon, I imagine.”
它配备了一把像兰德大师的鱼叉一样锋利的钢刺,我想。”

The Canadian did not put himself out enough to shrug his shoulders.
加拿大人没有费心耸耸肩。 —

Attack cetacea with blows of a spur!
用一把钢刺来攻击鲸类! —

Who had ever heard of such a thing?
谁听说过这样的事情呢?

“Wait, M. Aronnax,” said Captain Nemo. “We will show you something you have never yet seen.
“等等,Aronnax先生,”尼莫船长说道。“我们会给你看一些你从未见过的东西。 —

We have no pity for these ferocious creatures.
我们对这些凶残的生物没有怜悯之心。 —

They are nothing but mouth and teeth.”
它们只是张嘴和牙齿。”

Mouth and teeth! No one could better describe the macrocephalous cachalot, which is sometimes more than seventy-five feet long.
嘴巴和牙齿!没有人能更好地描述头部巨大的抹香鲸,它有时长达七十五英尺。 —

Its enormous head occupies one-third of its entire body.
它巨大的头占据了整个身体的三分之一。 —

Better armed than the whale, whose upper jaw is furnished only with whalebone, it is supplied with twenty-five large tusks, about eight inches long, cylindrical and conical at the top, each weighing two pounds.
比鲸鱼更加武装,鲸鱼的上颚只有须骨,它有二十五颗大大的獠牙,每颗大约八英寸长,顶端呈圆锥形,重达两磅。 —

It is in the upper part of this enormous head, in great cavities divided by cartilages, that is to be found from six to eight hundred pounds of that precious oil called spermaceti.
在这个巨大头部的上部,由软骨分隔成大腔室,储存着约六到八百磅的宝贵鲸脑油。 —

The cachalot is a disagreeable creature, more tadpole than fish, according to Fredol’s description.
抹香鲸是一种令人讨厌的生物,根据弗雷多尔的描述,它更像是蝌蚪而不是鱼。 —

It is badly formed, the whole of its left side being (if we may say it), a “failure,” and being only able to see with its right eye.
它的形态不好,整个左侧(如果我们可以这样说)是“失败”的,只能用右眼看东西。 —

But the formidable troop was nearing us.
但是可怕的团队正在接近我们。 —

They had seen the whales and were preparing to attack them.
它们已经看到了鲸鱼,并准备攻击它们。 —

One could judge beforehand that the cachalots would be victorious, not only because they were better built for attack than their inoffensive adversaries, but also because they could remain longer under water without coming to the surface.
人们可以事先判断座头鲸将会获胜,不仅因为它们攻击能力更强,优于温和的对手,而且它们可以在水下停留更长时间而无需浮出水面。 —

There was only just time to go to the help of the whales.
只来得及去帮助那些鲸鱼。 —

The Nautilus went under water.
那美洲鱼号潜入水中。 —

Conseil, Ned Land, and I took our places before the window in the saloon, and Captain Nemo joined the pilot in his cage to work his apparatus as an engine of destruction.
康赛尔、尼德·兰和我在客厅窗前就坐,尼摩船长加入了潜艇中的驾驶员,操作他的装置作为毁灭的武器。 —

Soon I felt the beatings of the screw quicken, and our speed increased.
不久我感到螺旋桨的拍打加快,我们的速度增加了。 —

The battle between the cachalots and the whales had already begun when the Nautilus arrived.
当那美洲鱼号到达时,座头鲸和鲸鱼的战斗已经开始。 —

They did not at first show any fear at the sight of this new monster joining in the conflict.
他们起初没有对这个新的怪物加入战斗感到恐惧。 —

But they soon had to guard against its blows.
但很快他们必须防备它的攻击。 —

What a battle! The Nautilus was nothing but a formidable harpoon, brandished by the hand of its Captain.
这是一场激烈的战斗!那美洲鱼号不过是船长挥动的一支可怕的鱼叉。 —

It hurled itself against the fleshy mass, passing through from one part to the other, leaving behind it two quivering halves of the animal.
它猛地撞向那块肉块,穿过了它,留下了动物的两半在颤抖。 —

It could not feel the formidable blows from their tails upon its sides, nor the shock which it produced itself, much more.
它无法感受到它们尾巴的强大打击,也无法感受到自己产生的更强烈的冲击。 —

One cachalot killed, it ran at the next, tacked on the spot that it might not miss its prey, going forwards and backwards, answering to its helm, plunging when the cetacean dived into the deep waters, coming up with it when it returned to the surface, striking it front or sideways, cutting or tearing in all directions and at any pace, piercing it with its terrible spur.
当一只抹香鲸被杀死后,它立即扑向下一只,不敢错过猎物,前后移动,随着舵答应,当鲸鱼潜入深水时下潜,当其浮出水面时跟随着,以各种速度、各个角度殴打它,狠狠刺入它的身体。 —

What carnage! What a noise on the surface of the waves!
多么残忍的屠杀!水面上的噪音和喷气声何其尖锐, —

What sharp hissing, and what snorting peculiar to these enraged animals!
只有这些愤怒的动物才有。 —

In the midst of these waters, generally so peaceful, their tails made perfect billows.
在这些通常如此宁静的水域中,它们的尾巴掀起了完美的浪花。 —

For one hour this wholesale massacre continued, from which the cachalots could not escape.
一小时的大规模屠杀持续进行,抹香鲸无处可逃。 —

Several times ten or twelve united tried to crush the Nautilus by their weight.
十次左右,或者十二艘联合船只试图靠重量压垮”鹦鹉螺号”。 —

From the window we could see their enormous mouths, studded with tusks, and their formidable eyes.
从窗户里我们可以看到它们庞大的嘴巴,有獠牙,还有凶猛的眼睛。纳德. —

Ned Land could not contain himself;
兰德情绪激动地无法自持; —

he threatened and swore at them.
他威胁着并咒骂它们。 —

We could feel them clinging to our vessel like dogs worrying a wild boar in a copse.
我们感觉到它们像狗一样紧贴着船体,如同在丛林中突袭一头野猪。 —

But the Nautilus, working its screw, carried them here and there, or to the upper levels of the ocean, without caring for their enormous weight, nor the powerful strain on the vessel.
但是”鹦鹉螺号”传动螺旋桨,将它们带来带去,或者将它们带到深海的上方,毫不在乎它们巨大的重量,或者对船体施加的巨大压力。 —

At length the mass of cachalots broke up, the waves became quiet, and I felt that we were rising to the surface.
最后,抹香鲸群体散开了,海浪变得平静,我感到我们正在上升到水面。 —

The panel opened, and we hurried on to the platform.
舱门打开了,我们赶紧走到平台上。 —

The sea was covered with mutilated bodies.
海面上漂浮着被肢解的尸体。 —

A formidable explosion could not have divided and torn this fleshy mass with more violence.
一次可怕的爆炸不可能比这更剧烈地分割和撕裂这团肉块。 —

We were floating amid gigantic bodies, bluish on the back and white underneath, covered with enormous protuberances.
我们漂浮在巨大的身躯中间,背部呈蓝色,下面是白色,覆盖着巨大的隆起物。 —

Some terrified cachalots were flying towards the horizon.
一些吓坏了的抹香鲸正在向地平线飞去。 —

The waves were dyed red for several miles, and the Nautilus floated in a sea of blood:
几英里外的海浪被染成红色,鹦鹉螺号在一片血海中漂浮着: —

Captain Nemo joined us.
尼莫船长加入了我们。

“Well, Master Land?” said he.
“那么,玩忍者村长?”他说。

“Well, sir,” replied the Canadian, whose enthusiasm had somewhat calmed;
“嗯,先生,”加拿大人回答道,他的热情有些平静了; —

“it is a terrible spectacle, certainly.
“这确实是一场可怕的景象。 —

But I am not a butcher.
但我不是个屠夫。 —

I am a hunter, and I call this a butchery.”
我是个猎人,我认为这是一种屠杀。”

“It is a massacre of mischievous creatures, ” replied the Captain; “and the Nautilus is not a butcher’s knife.”
“这是对有害动物的大屠杀,”船长回答说,“鹦鹉螺号并不是屠夫的刀。”

“I like my harpoon better,” said the Canadian.
“我更喜欢我的鱼叉,”加拿大人说。

“Every one to his own,” answered the Captain, looking fixedly at Ned Land.
“人各有所好,”船长注视着内德·兰恩。

I feared he would commit some act of violence, which would end in sad consequences.
我担心他会采取什么暴力行为,这将导致可悲的后果。 —

But his anger was turned by the sight of a whale which the Nautilus had just come up with.
但他的愤怒被鹦鹉螺号刚刚遇到的一只鲸鱼的景象转移了。 —

The creature had not quite escaped from the cachalot’s teeth.
这个生物还没有完全逃出抹香鲸的牙齿。 —

I recognised the southern whale by its flat head, which is entirely black.
通过其完全黑色的扁平头部,我认出它是南部鲸。 —

Anatomically, it is distinguished from the white whale and the North Cape whale by the seven cervical vertebrae, and it has two more ribs than its congeners.
从解剖学上讲,它与白鲸和北岬鲸区别在于它有七根颈椎,并且比同类多两根肋骨。 —

The unfortunate cetacean was lying on its side, riddled with holes from the bites, and quite dead.
这只可怜的鲸鱼侧躺着,浑身上下都是咬痕,完全死亡了。 —

From its mutilated fin still hung a young whale which it could not save from the massacre.
从它被肢解的鳍上还挂着一头年幼的鲸,它无法幸免于屠杀之中。 —

Its open mouth let the water flow in and out, murmuring like the waves breaking on the shore.
它张着大嘴,让水流进出,喃喃 murmuring,声音像浪花打破在海岸上一样。 —

Captain Nemo steered close to the corpse of the creature.
尼摩船长靠近这只生物的尸体。 —

Two of his men mounted its side, and I saw, not without surprise, that they were drawing from its breasts all the milk which they contained, that is to say, about two or three tons.
他的两个手下跃上了它的身体,我看到,不禁感到惊讶,他们正在提取其中所含的所有奶汁,大约有两三吨。 —

The Captain offered me a cup of the milk, which was still warm. I could not help showing my repugnance to the drink;
船长给了我一杯还温热的奶,我无法掩饰我对这种饮料的厌恶之情; —

but he assured me that it was excellent, and not to be distinguished from cow’s milk.
但他向我保证它非常出色,和牛奶一样无法区分。我尝了尝, —

I tasted it, and was of his opinion.
与他的意见一致。 —

It was a useful reserve to us, for in the shape of salt butter or cheese it would form an agreeable variety from our ordinary food.
这对我们来说是一个有用的备选,因为它可以作为盐脂肪或干酪,为我们平日的食物增添一种愉快的变化。 —

From that day I noticed with uneasiness that Ned Land’s ill-will towards Captain Nemo increased, and I resolved to watch the Canadian’s gestures closely.
从那天起,我不安地观察到尼德·兰对尼莫船长的敌意增加,我决定密切观察加拿大人的动作。