This unexpected fall so stunned me that I have no clear recollection of my sensations at the time.
这个意外的摔跤把我惊呆了,当时我的感觉没有清晰的记忆。 —

I was at first drawn down to a depth of about twenty feet.
我一开始被拉到大约二十英尺的深度。 —

I am a good swimmer (though without pretending to rival Byron or Edgar Poe, who were masters of the art), and in that plunge I did not lose my presence of mind.
我是个不错的游泳者(虽然没有拿自己和拜伦或爱伦·坡相提并论,他们是这个领域的大师),在那个下潜的时候我并没有失去理智。 —

Two vigorous strokes brought me to the surface of the water.
两个有力的挥动把我带到了水面上。 —

My first care was to look for the frigate.
我首先要做的是寻找那艘军舰。 —

Had the crew seen me disappear?
船员们看见我消失了吗? —

Had the Abraham Lincoln veered round?
是不是阿伯拉罕·林肯号调转了方向? —

Would the captain put out a boat?
船长会派船出来吗? —

Might I hope to be saved?
我能指望被救起吗?

The darkness was intense.
这里一片漆黑。 —

I caught a glimpse of a black mass disappearing in the east, its beacon lights dying out in the distance.
我瞥见一个黑色的大块在东方消失了,它的灯塔在远处灭了。 —

It was the frigate! I was lost.
那是军舰!我完了。

“Help, help!” I shouted, swimming towards the Abraham Lincoln in desperation.
“救命!救命!”我绝望地向阿伯拉罕·林肯号游去。

My clothes encumbered me;
我的衣服很碍事, —

they seemed glued to my body, and paralysed my movements.
它们好像粘在我身上,让我动弹不得。

I was sinking! I was suffocating!
我正在下沉!我快窒息了!

“Help!”
“救命!”

This was my last cry. My mouth filled with water;
这是我最后一次呼救。我的口腔被水填满, —

I struggled against being drawn down the abyss.
我努力反抗被深渊吞噬的命运。 —

Suddenly my clothes were seized by a strong hand, and I felt myself quickly drawn up to the surface of the sea;
突然间,我的衣物被强有力的手抓住,我感到自己迅速地被拉到海面上。 —

and I heard, yes, I heard these words pronounced in my ear—
我听见,是的,我听见这些话在我的耳边说出——

“If master would be so good as to lean on my shoulder, master would swim with much greater ease.”
“如果主人愿意靠在我的肩膀上,主人会更轻松地游泳。”

I seized with one hand my faithful Conseil’s arm.
我用一只手抓住了我忠实的康塞尔的胳膊。

“Is it you?” said I, “you?”
“是你吗?”我说,“是你?”

“Myself,” answered Conseil;
“我自己,”康塞尔回答, —

“and waiting master’s orders.”
“等待主人的命令。”

“That shock threw you as well as me into the sea?”
“那次冲击也把你推入了海中?”

“No; but being in my master’s service, I followed him.”
“不,但作为主人的侍从,我跟随着他。”

The worthy fellow thought that was but natural.
这位可敬的家伙认为这是理所当然的。

“And the frigate?” I asked.
“那艘军舰呢?”我问道。

“The frigate?” replied Conseil, turning on his back;
“军舰?”康塞尔回答,翻身过来, —

“I think that master had better not count too much on her.”
“我认为主人不应该过于依靠她。”

“You think so?”
“你这样认为?”

“I say that, at the time I threw myself into the sea, I heard the men at the wheel say, ‘The screw and the rudder are broken.’”
“我说,在我跳入海中的时候,我听到掌舵的人说,‘螺旋桨和舵已经坏了。’”

“Broken?”
“坏了吗?”

“Yes, broken by the monster’s teeth.
“是的,被怪物的牙齿咬坏了。 —

It is the only injury the Abraham Lincoln has sustained.
这是 亚伯拉罕·林肯号 唯一的伤势。 —

But it is a bad look out for us—she no longer answers her helm.”
但这对我们来说是一个坏兆头 - 她不再对舵有反应。”

“Then we are lost!”
“那么我们就完了!”

“Perhaps so,” calmly answered Conseil. “However, we have still several hours before us, and one can do a good deal in some hours.”
“也许是吧,”康塞尔平静地回答道。“不过,在我们面前还有几个小时,几个小时内我们还能做很多事情。”

Conseil’s imperturbable coolness set me up again.
康塞尔那镇定自若的态度让我重新振作起来。 —

I swam more vigorously;
我更加努力地游泳; —

but, cramped by my clothes, which stuck to me like a leaden weight, I felt great difficulty in bearing up.
但由于衣服的束缚,它们像铅一样紧贴在我身上,我感到很难坚持下去。 —

Conseil saw this.
康塞尔看到了这一点。

“Will master let me make a slit?” said he; and, slipping an open knife under my clothes, he ripped them up from top to bottom very rapidly.
“主人让我撕开一个口子吗?”他说着,顺手将一把打开的刀子伸进我的衣服里,飞快地从上到下地割开了它们。 —

Then he cleverly slipped them off me, while I swam for both of us.
然后他巧妙地把它们从我身上脱掉,同时我为我们俩继续游泳。

Then I did the same for Conseil, and we continued to swim near to each other.
然后我也为康塞尔做了同样的事情,我们继续靠近彼此游泳。

Nevertheless, our situation was no less terrible.
然而,我们的处境依然可怕。 —

Perhaps our disappearance had not been noticed;
也许我们的消失还没有被注意到; —

and if it had been, the frigate could not tack, being without its helm. Conseil argued on this supposition, and laid his plans accordingly.
如果是这样的话,护卫舰无法抢风,因为它失去了舵。康塞伊依据这种假设进行了争论,并相应地制定了计划。 —

This phlegmatic boy was perfectly self-possessed.
这个冷静缓慢的男孩完全沉着。 —

We then decided that, as our only chance of safety was being picked up by the Abraham Lincoln’s boats, we ought to manage so as to wait for them as long as possible.
于是我们决定,由于我们唯一的安全机会是被亚伯拉罕·林肯号的船接走,我们应该尽量等待他们。 —

I resolved then to husband our strength, so that both should not be exhausted at the same time;
我决定要节约我们的体力,以免同时耗尽; —

and this is how we managed:
这是我们的处理方式: —

while one of us lay on our back, quite still, with arms crossed, and legs stretched out, the other would swim and push the other on in front.
当我们中的一个静静地躺在背上,双臂交叉,双腿伸直时,另一个人会游泳并把另一个人往前推。 —

This towing business did not last more than ten minutes each; and relieving each other thus, we could swim on for some hours, perhaps till daybreak.
这种拖行的时间不超过十分钟;通过这样相互交替,我们可以继续游泳数小时,也许一直到天亮。 —

Poor chance! but hope is so firmly rooted in the heart of man!
可怜的机会啊!但是希望在人心中根深蒂固! —

Moreover, there were two of us.
而且,我们有两个人。 —

Indeed I declare (though it may seem improbable) if I sought to destroy all hope, —if I wished to despair, I could not.
事实上,我声明(尽管这似乎不太可能)即使我试图摧毁所有的希望,即使我想绝望,我也做不到。

The collision of the frigate with the cetacean had occurred about eleven o’clock the evening before.
汽船与鲸鱼的碰撞发生在前一天晚上十一点左右。 —

I reckoned then we should have eight hours to swim before sunrise, an operation quite practicable if we relieved each other.
我当时估计在日出之前我们还有八个小时可以游泳,如果我们轮流换班,这个操作是完全可行的。 —

The sea, very calm, was in our favour.
海面很平静,这对我们有利。 —

Sometimes I tried to pierce the intense darkness that was only dispelled by the phosphorescence caused by our movements.
有时候我尝试穿透浓密的黑暗,只能通过我们的运动所产生的磷光来揭开迷雾。 —

I watched the luminous waves that broke over my hand, whose mirror-like surface was spotted with silvery rings.
我看着那些在我手上破碎的发光海浪,它们像镜子一样的表面上布满了银色的光环。 —

One might have said that we were in a bath of quicksilver.
人们可能会说我们像是置身在汞池中。

Near one o’clock in the morning, I was seized with dreadful fatigue.
凌晨一点左右,我感到极度疲劳。 —

My limbs stiffened under the strain of violent cramp.
我的肢体在剧烈痉挛的压力下变得僵硬。 —

Conseil was obliged to keep me up, and our preservation devolved on him alone.
康赛尔被迫扶着我,而我们的生存完全依靠他一个人。 —

I heard the poor boy pant;
我听到这个可怜的孩子喘气声。 —

his breathing became short and hurried.
他的呼吸变得短促而匆忙。 —

I found that he could not keep up much longer.
我发现他无法再坚持多久了。

“Leave me! leave me!” I said to him.
“放开我!离开我!”我对他说。

“Leave my master? Never!” replied he.
“离开我的主人?永远不会!”他回答道。 —

“I would drown first.”
“宁愿溺死。”

Just then the moon appeared through the fringes of a thick cloud that the wind was driving to the east.
就在那时,月亮透过被风吹向东方的一片厚云缝隙出现了。 —

The surface of the sea glittered with its rays.
海面上闪烁着月光。 —

This kindly light reanimated us.
这种温暖的光线使我们重新振作起来。 —

My head got better again.
我头脑变得清晰了。 —

I looked at all points of the horizon.
我看了看地平线上的各个方向。 —

I saw the frigate! She was five miles from us, and looked like a dark mass, hardly discernible. But no boats!
我看到了军舰!她离我们有五英里远,看起来像一个难以辨认的黑色物体。但没有小船!

I would have cried out. But what good would it have been at such a distance!
我本想大叫一声。但在如此遥远的距离,那有什么用呢! —

My swollen lips could utter no sounds.
我肿胀的嘴唇发不出声音。 —

Conseil could articulate some words, and I heard him repeat at intervals, “Help! help!”
康赛尔能够说出一些话,我听到他时不时地重复着“救命!救命!”

Our movements were suspended for an instant; we listened.
我们的动作一时停顿;我们倾听着。 —

It might be only a singing in the ear, but it seemed to me as if a cry answered the cry from Conseil.
可能只是耳边的嗡鸣声,但在我看来,似乎有人的呼救回应了康赛尔的求救。

“Did you hear?” I murmured.
“你听到了吗?”我低声说道。

“Yes! Yes!”
“是的!是的!”

And Conseil gave one more despairing call.
康塞伊尔发出了更加绝望的呼救。

This time there was no mistake!
这一次没有错! —

A human voice responded to ours!
有一个人的声音回应了我们! —

Was it the voice of another unfortunate creature, abandoned in the middle of the ocean, some other victim of the shock sustained by the vessel?
那是另一个不幸的人的声音吗?被船只抛弃在海洋中的另一个受害者? —

Or rather was it a boat from the frigate, that was hailing us in the darkness?
还是说那是来自护卫舰的船只,在黑暗中向我们呼叫?

Conseil made a last effort, and, leaning on my shoulder, while I struck out in a despairing effort, he raised himself half out of the water, then fell back exhausted.
康塞伊尔作出了最后的努力,倚靠在我的肩膀上,而我拼命地划水,他勉强翻身,然后精疲力竭地倒下。

“What did you see?”
“你看到了什么?”

“I saw”—murmured he;
“我看到了” 他喃喃地说, —

“I saw—but do not talk—reserve all your strength!”
“我看到了,但别说话了,保留你所有的力量!”

What had he seen? Then, I know not why, the thought of the monster came into my head for the first time!
他看到了什么?然后,我不知道为什么,第一次想到了那个怪物! —

But that voice!
但是那个声音! —

The time is past for Jonahs to take refuge in whales’ bellies!
现在不是约拿逃到鲸腹中避难的时候了!然而, —

However, Conseil was towing me again.
康塞伊尔又在拖着我。 —

He raised his head sometimes, looked before us, and uttered a cry of recognition, which was responded to by a voice that came nearer and nearer.
他有时抬起头,看向前方,发出了一声认出的叫喊,那个声音越来越近。 —

I scarcely heard it. My strength was exhausted;
我几乎听不见。我的力气耗尽了; —

my fingers stiffened; my hand afforded me support no longer;
手指僵硬了;我的手不再提供支撑。 —

my mouth, convulsively opening, filled with salt water. Cold crept over me.
我张开嘴,痉挛地充满了咸水。寒冷侵袭了我。 —

I raised my head for the last time, then I sank.
我最后一次抬起头,然后沉没了。

At this moment a hard body struck me. I clung to it:
就在这时,一块硬物撞到了我身上。 —

then I felt that I was being drawn up, that I was brought to the surface of the water, that my chest collapsed:
我抓住它:然后我感到自己被拉起来,被带到水面上,我的胸口塌陷了——我晕倒了。 —

—I fainted.

It is certain that I soon came to, thanks to the vigorous rubbings that I received.
毫无疑问,在接下来我很快苏醒了,多亏了我受到的有力擦洗。 —

I half opened my eyes.
我微微睁开眼睛。

“Conseil!” I murmured.
“康赛尔!”我喃喃自语。

“Does master call me?” asked Conseil.
“主人叫我吗?”康赛尔问道。

Just then, by the waning light of the moon which was sinking down to the horizon, I saw a face which was not Conseil’s and which I immediately recognised.
就在这时,在月亮逐渐下沉到地平线的微弱光芒下,我看到了一个并非康赛尔的面孔,我立刻认出了他。

“Ned!” I cried.
“尼德!”我喊道。

“The same, sir, who is seeking his prize!
“是我,先生,正在寻找我的奖励! —

” replied the Canadian.
”加拿大人回答说。

“Were you thrown into the sea by the shock to the frigate?”
“你是不是被舰船的冲击击落海中了?”

“Yes, Professor; but more fortunate than you, I was able to find a footing almost directly upon a floating island.”
“是的,教授;但比起您,我更幸运,我能够直接站稳在一个漂浮的岛屿上。”

“An island?”
“一个岛屿?”

“Or, more correctly speaking, on our gigantic narwhal.”
“更准确地说,是我们巨大的独角鲸。”

“Explain yourself, Ned!”
“解释一下,奈德!”

“Only I soon found out why my harpoon had not entered its skin and was blunted.”
“只是我很快就发现了为什么我的鱼叉没有刺入它的皮肤,而是变钝了。”

“Why, Ned, why?”
“为什么,奈德,为什么?”

“Because, Professor, that beast is made of sheet iron.”
“因为,教授,那只野兽是由钢铁板构成的。”

The Canadian’s last words produced a sudden revolution in my brain.
加拿大人的最后几句话在我脑海中引起了猛烈的思绪转变。 —

I wriggled myself quickly to the top of the being, or object, half out of the water, which served us for a refuge.
我迅速蜷缩身体,爬到那个生物或物体的顶部,半浸在水中,成为我们的避难所。我踢了一下它。 —

I kicked it.

It was evidently a hard impenetrable body, and not the soft substance that forms the bodies of the great marine mammalia.
显然,它是一个坚硬无法穿透的物体,而不是构成大型海洋哺乳动物身体的软质物质。 —

But this hard body might be a bony carapace, like that of the antediluvian animals;
但是这个坚硬的物体可能是一种类似于史前动物的骨甲,比如龟或鳄鱼,我可以将这个怪物归类为两栖爬行动物。 —

and I should be free to class this monster among amphibious reptiles, such as tortoises or alligators.
我将被自由地将这个怪物归类为两栖爬行动物,比如龟或鳄鱼,它的骨质甲壳就像史前动物一样。

Well, no! the blackish back that supported me was smooth, polished, without scales.
不,绝对不是!支撑着我的黑色背部光滑如镜,没有鳞片。 —

The blow produced a metallic sound;
那一击发出金属般的声音; —

and incredible though it may be, it seemed, I might say, as if it was made of riveted plates.
难以置信但真实的是,它看起来像是由铆钉连接的铁板构成。

There was no doubt about it! This monster, this natural phenomenon that had puzzled the learned world, and overthrown and misled the imagination of seamen of both hemispheres, it must be owned, a still more astonishing phenomenon, inasmuch as it was a simply human construction.
毫无疑问!这个怪物,这个令学术界迷惑不解、欺骗并误导了两个半球的航海者想象力的自然现象,必须承认,是一个更加令人惊讶的现象,因为它是一个纯粹的人造构造物。

We had no time to lose, however.
然而,我们没有时间可耗费。 —

We were lying upon the back of a sort of submarine boat, which appeared (as far as I could judge) like a huge fish of steel.
我们躺在一种类似于潜水艇的下水道上,它看起来像一条巨大的钢铁鱼(就我所看见的)。 —

Ned Land’s mind was made up on this point.
内德·兰德对此做出了决定。 —

Conseil and I could only agree with him.
康塞尔和我只能同意他的观点。

Just then a bubbling began at the back of this strange thing (which was evidently propelled by a screw), and it began to move.
就在那时,这个奇怪的东西的后方开始冒泡(显然是由螺旋桨推动),并开始移动了。 —

We had only just time to seize hold of the upper part, which rose about seven feet out of the water, and happily its speed was not great.
我们只来得及抓住上面的部分,上面约有七英尺高,幸运的是速度并不快。

“As long as it sails horizontally, ” muttered Ned Land, “I do not mind;
“只要它水平航行,”内德·兰德嘀咕道,“我无所谓; —

but if it takes a fancy to dive, I would not give two straws for my life.”
但如果它喜欢潜水,我的生命也不值什么。”

The Canadian might have said still less.
这个加拿大人可能会说得更少。 —

It became really necessary to communicate with the beings, whatever they were, shut up inside the machine.
与机器内部被关在里面的生物进行交流变得真正必要。 —

I searched all over the outside for an aperture, a panel, or a man-hole, to use a technical expression;
我在外面四处寻找一个孔洞、一个面板或者一个人孔,用一个技术性的说法来说; —

but the lines of the iron rivets, solidly driven into the joints of the iron plates, were clear and uniform.
但是,铁板的接缝上牢固地驱压入的铁铆钉的线条是清晰而均匀的。 —

Besides, the moon disappeared then, and left us in total darkness.
此外,那时月亮消失了,我们置身于完全黑暗中。

At last this long night passed.
最后这个漫长的夜晚过去了。 —

My indistinct remembrance prevents my describing all the impressions it made.
我模糊的记忆使我无法描述它所带来的所有印象。 —

I can only recall one circumstance.
我只能回想起一个情况。 —

During some lulls of the wind and sea, I fancied I heard several times vague sounds, a sort of fugitive harmony produced by words of command.
在风浪平静时,我仿佛几次听到模糊的声音,一种由命令所产生的逃逸和谐。 —

What was then the mystery of this submarine craft, of which the whole world vainly sought an explanation?
那么,这艘潜艇的秘密是什么呢?全世界都徒劳地寻求一个解释。 —

What kind of beings existed in this strange boat?
在这艘奇怪的船上存在着什么样的生物? —

What mechanical agent caused its prodigious speed?
是什么机械装置造成了它惊人的速度?

Daybreak appeared. The morning mists surrounded us, but they soon cleared off.
曙光出现了。晨雾笼罩着我们,但很快就消散了。 —

I was about to examine the hull, which formed on deck a kind of horizontal platform, when I felt it gradually sinking.
就在我准备检查船身时,甲板上形成了一种水平的平台,我感到它逐渐下沉。

“Oh! confound it!” cried Ned Land, kicking the resounding plate. “Open, you inhospitable rascals!”
“哦!讨厌!”尼德·兰德大声喊道,踢着发出回声的金属板。“开门吧,你们这些不好客的家伙!”

Happily the sinking movement ceased. Suddenly a noise, like iron works violently pushed aside, came from the interior of the boat.
幸运的是,下沉的动作停止了。突然,一阵像铁器被猛地推开的声音从船内传出。 —

One iron plate was moved, a man appeared, uttered an odd cry, and disappeared immediately.
有一块铁板被移动了,一个人出现了,发出奇怪的呼声,随即又消失了。

Some moments after, eight strong men, with masked faces, appeared noiselessly, and drew us down into their formidable machine.
不久之后,八名面戴面具的强壮男子无声地出现,将我们带进了他们可怕的机器中。