The next day, the 22nd of March, at six in the morning, preparations for departure were begun.
第二天,3月22日清晨6点开始了出发的准备工作。夜晚吞噬着黄昏的最后一丝余晖。 —

The last gleams of twilight were melting into night.

The cold was great, the constellations shone with wonderful intensity.
寒冷异常,星宿闪烁着奇异的亮度。 —

In the zenith glittered that wondrous Southern Cross—the polar bear of Antarctic regions.
顶天立地的南十字星在天穹中闪耀——南极地区的北极星。 —

The thermometer showed 120 below zero, and when the wind freshened it was most biting.
温度计显示零下120度,风一吹起就刺骨寒冷。 —

Flakes of ice increased on the open water.
冰片在开阔水域上增加。 —

The sea seemed everywhere alike.
大海在各处看起来都一样。 —

Numerous blackish patches spread on the surface, showing the formation of fresh ice.
表面上有许多黑色斑块,表明新冰的形成。 —

Evidently the southern basin, frozen during the six winter months, was absolutely inaccessible.
显然,在冬季的六个月里,南部盆地冰封,完全无法到达。 —

What became of the whales in that time?
鲸鱼们又去了哪里呢? —

Doubtless they went beneath the icebergs, seeking more practicable seas.
毫无疑问,它们躲在冰山下,寻找更可行的海域。 —

As to the seals and morses, accustomed to live in a hard climate, they remained on these icy shores.
而习惯于生活在严寒气候中的海豹则留在这些冰冷的海岸。 —

These creatures have the instinct to break holes in the ice-field and to keep them open.
这些生物有打破冰块并保持开放的本能。 —

To these holes they come for breath;
它们会通过这些洞口呼吸; —

when the birds, driven away by the cold, have emigrated to the north, these sea mammals remain sole masters of the polar continent.
当寒冷驱赶鸟类北迁时,这些海洋哺乳动物便成为北极大陆的独家主人。 —

But the reservoirs were filling with water, and the Nautilus was slowly descending.
但水库正在充水,而“鹦鹉螺号”正在缓慢下沉。 —

At 1,000 feet deep it stopped;
在1000英尺深处停了下来; —

its screw beat the waves, and it advanced straight towards the north at a speed of fifteen miles an hour.
它的螺旋桨搅动着海浪,以每小时15英里的速度直线向北航行。 —

Towards night it was already floating under the immense body of the iceberg.
到了晚上,它已经漂浮在巨大的冰山下方。凌晨三点时, —

At three in the morning I was awakened by a violent shock.
我被一声剧烈的撞击惊醒。 —

I sat up in my bed and listened in the darkness, when I was thrown into the middle of the room.
我坐起来,倾听黑暗中的动静,刚好被甩到了房间中央。 —

The Nautilus, after having struck, had rebounded violently.
“鹦鹉螺号”撞击后,剧烈地反弹了起来。 —

I groped along the partition, and by the staircase to the saloon, which was lit by the luminous ceiling.
我摸索着沿着隔板,通过楼梯来到了有着发光天花板的客厅。家具散落一地。 —

The furniture was upset.

Fortunately the windows were firmly set, and had held fast.
幸运的是,窗户紧紧地关着, —

The pictures on the starboard side, from being no longer vertical, were clinging to the paper, whilst those of the port side were hanging at least a foot from the wall.
牢固地定在那里。星板侧的图片不再垂直,紧贴在墙上,而舷侧的图片离墙至少一英尺远。 —

The Nautilus was lying on its starboard side perfectly motionless.
“麦纳鱼号”完全静止地躺在右舷。 —

I heard footsteps, and a confusion of voices;
我听到脚步声和一片混乱的声音; —

but Captain Nemo did not appear.
但尼摩船长没有出现。 —

As I was leaving the saloon, Ned Land and Conseil entered.
当我离开客厅的时候,尼德·兰和康赛尔进来了。

“What is the matter?” said I, at once.
“怎么了?”我立刻问道。

“I came to ask you, sir,” replied Conseil.
“我来问你,先生,”康赛尔回答道。

“Confound it!” exclaimed the Canadian, “I know well enough! The Nautilus has struck;
“见鬼!”加拿大人咒骂道,“我很清楚!麦纳鱼号碰到障碍了; —

and, judging by the way she lies, I do not think she will right herself as she did the first time in Torres Straits.”
根据她的摆放方式,我认为她不会像在托雷斯海峡那一次那样自行复位。”

“But,” I asked, “has she at least come to the surface of the sea?”
“不过,”我问道,“她至少浮上海面了吗?”

“We do not know,” said Conseil.
“我们不知道,”康赛尔说道。

“It is easy to decide,” I answered.
“可以轻易判断出来,”我回答道。 —

I consulted the manometer.
我查看了压力计。 —

To my great surprise, it showed a depth of more than 180 fathoms.
很令我惊讶的是,它显示超过180英寻的深度。 —

“What does that mean?” I exclaimed.
“这是什么意思?”我惊叫道。

“We must ask Captain Nemo,” said Conseil.
“我们必须问问尼莫船长,”康塞尔说道。

“But where shall we find him?” said Ned Land.
“但我们要在哪里找到他呢?”尼德·兰德说道。

“Follow me,” said I, to my companions.
“跟着我来,”我对我的同伴们说道。

We left the saloon. There was no one in the library.
我们离开了客厅。图书馆里没有人。 —

At the centre staircase, by the berths of the ship’s crew, there was no one.
在中央楼梯口,船员的卧铺边也没有人。 —

I thought that Captain Nemo must be in the pilot’s cage.
我想尼莫船长一定在驾驶舱里。 —

It was best to wait. We all returned to the saloon.
最好等一等。我们都回到了客厅。 —

For twenty minutes we remained thus, trying to hear the slightest noise which might be made on board the Nautilus, when Captain Nemo entered.
这样过了二十分钟,我们一直试图听到“鹦鹉螺”号上能有最微小的声响,这时尼莫船长进来了。 —

He seemed not to see us; his face, generally so impassive, showed signs of uneasiness.
他似乎没看见我们;他平时冷漠的脸上露出了不安的表情。 —

He watched the compass silently, then the manometer;
他默默地观察着指南针,然后是气压计; —

and, going to the planisphere, placed his finger on a spot representing the southern seas.
接着,他走到星图仪前,用手指着代表南海的一处位置。 —

I would not interrupt him;
我不想打扰他; —

but, some minutes later, when he turned towards me, I said, using one of his own expressions in the Torres Straits:
但是,几分钟后,当他转向我时,我说道,使用了他在多雷斯海峡中的一个表达方式:

“An incident, Captain?”
“发生了什么事,船长?”

“No, sir; an accident this time.”
“不,先生;这次是一次意外。”

“Serious?”
“严重吗?”

“Perhaps.”
“也许。”

“Is the danger immediate?”
“危险是立即的吗?”

“No.”
“不。”

“The Nautilus has stranded?”
鹦鹉螺号搁浅了?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“And this has happened—how?”
“这是怎么发生的 - 为什么搁浅了?”

“From a caprice of nature, not from the ignorance of man.
“是因为自然原因,不是人为的无知造成的。 —

Not a mistake has been made in the working.
在操作过程中没有犯任何错误。 —

But we cannot prevent equilibrium from producing its effects.
但我们无法阻止平衡带来的影响。 —

We may brave human laws, but we cannot resist natural ones.”
我们可以挑战人类法律,但无法抵抗自然法则。”

Captain Nemo had chosen a strange moment for uttering this philosophical reflection.
尼莫船长选择在这个奇怪的时刻发表这种哲学思考。总的来说, —

On the whole, his answer helped me little.
他的回答对我帮助不大。

“May I ask, sir, the cause of this accident?”
“我可以问一下,先生,这次意外的原因是什么吗?”

“An enormous block of ice, a whole mountain, has turned over,” he replied.
“一块巨大的冰块,一个整座山体,翻了过来,”他回答道。 —

“When icebergs are undermined at their base by warmer water or reiterated shocks their centre of gravity rises, and the whole thing turns over.
“当冰山的底部被温暖的水或反复的冲击侵蚀时,它们的重心会上升,整块冰山就会翻转。” —

This is what has happened; one of these blocks, as it fell, struck the Nautilus, then, gliding under its hull, raised it with irresistible force, bringing it into beds which are not so thick, where it is lying on its side.”
事情是这样的;其中一个冰块下落时撞到了“鹦鹉螺”,然后滑入了不那么厚的水床,将其无法抵挡的力量带到一侧。

“But can we not get the Nautilus off by emptying its reservoirs, that it might regain its equilibrium?”
“但是我们不能通过排空蓄水池让“鹦鹉螺”恢复平衡吗?”

“That, sir, is being done at this moment.
“先生,此刻正在做这件事。 —

You can hear the pump working.
你可以听到泵的工作声音。 —

Look at the needle of the manometer;
看一下压力计的指针; —

it shows that the Nautilus is rising, but the block of ice is floating with it;
它显示“鹦鹉螺”正在上升,但冰块也随之浮动; —

and, until some obstacle stops its ascending motion, our position cannot be altered.”
在某个障碍物阻止它上升之前,我们的位置不会改变。”

Indeed, the Nautilus still held the same position to starboard;
事实上,“鹦鹉螺”仍然保持着向右的位置;毫无疑问, —

doubtless it would right itself when the block stopped.
当冰块停下来时,它会自行恢复平衡。 —

But at this moment who knows if we may not be frightfully crushed between the two glassy surfaces?
但此刻谁又知道我们是否会在两个玻璃般的表面之间被惊天撞击? —

I reflected on all the consequences of our position.
我反思了我们立场的所有后果。 —

Captain Nemo never took his eyes off the manometer.
尼莫船长一直没有离开对着压力计的目光。 —

Since the fall of the iceberg, the Nautilus had risen about a hundred and fifty feet, but it still made the same angle with the perpendicular.
自从冰山倒下以来,海底游艇已经上升了大约150英尺,但它仍然与垂直线保持着相同的角度。 —

Suddenly a slight movement was felt in the hold.
突然在舱室里感到了轻微的晃动。 —

Evidently it was righting a little.
显然它正在恢复平衡。 —

Things hanging in the saloon were sensibly returning to their normal position.
客厅里悬挂的东西正在明显地返回到正常位置。 —

The partitions were nearing the upright.
隔断正在接近垂直。没有人说话。 —

No one spoke.

With beating hearts we watched and felt the straightening.
我们怀着激动的心情观察着并感受到了船体的变直。 —

The boards became horizontal under our feet.
脚下的地板变成了水平的。 —

Ten minutes passed.
十分钟过去了。

“At last we have righted!” I exclaimed.
“我们终于恢复平衡了!”我叫道。

“Yes,” said Captain Nemo, going to the door of the saloon.
“是的,”尼莫船长说着,走到了客厅的门口。

“But are we floating?” I asked.
“但是我们是在浮动吗?”我问。

“Certainly,” he replied;
“当然,”他回答道, —

“since the reservoirs are not empty; and, when empty, the Nautilus must rise to the surface of the sea.”
“因为水箱还没有空;而且,当水箱为空时,海底游艇必须浮出海面。”

We were in open sea; but at a distance of about ten yards, on either side of the Nautilus, rose a dazzling wall of ice.
我们正在大海上,但是离“鹦鹉螺号”约有十码的距离,两边升起了一堵令人惊艳的冰墙。 —

Above and beneath the same wall. Above, because the lower surface of the iceberg stretched over us like an immense ceiling.
上面和下面都是同一堵墙。上面,因为冰山的下表面像一个巨大的天花板悬在我们上方。 —

Beneath, because the overturned block, having slid by degrees, had found a resting-place on the lateral walls, which kept it in that position.
下面,是因为倒下的块状物,经过逐渐滑动,找到了一个靠在侧壁上的位置,保持住这个姿势。 —

The Nautilus was really imprisoned in a perfect tunnel of ice more than twenty yards in breadth, filled with quiet water.
“鹦鹉螺号”真的被困在一条完美的冰隧道中,宽度超过二十码,充满着平静的水。 —

It was easy to get out of it by going either forward or backward, and then make a free passage under the iceberg, some hundreds of yards deeper.
前后都很容易出来,然后在冰山下面自由穿梭,再往下数百码。 —

The luminous ceiling had been extinguished, but the saloon was still resplendent with intense light.
发光的天花板已经熄灭,但舱内仍然闪耀着强烈的光芒。 —

It was the powerful reflection from the glass partition sent violently back to the sheets of the lantern.
那是玻璃隔板发出的强烈反射,猛烈地反射回灯笼的面板上。 —

I cannot describe the effect of the voltaic rays upon the great blocks so capriciously cut;
我无法描述伏打电光对这些古怪切割的巨石产生的效果; —

upon every angle, every ridge, every facet was thrown a different light, according to the nature of the veins running through the ice;
每个角度、每个山脊、每个表面都映照出不同的光芒,根据冰中流淌的纹理的性质而异; —

a dazzling mine of gems, particularly of sapphires, their blue rays crossing with the green of the emerald.
这是一座令人眼花缭乱的宝石矿,尤其是蓝宝石,它们的蓝光与绿宝石的绿光交叉交织; —

Here and there were opal shades of wonderful softness, running through bright spots like diamonds of fire, the brilliancy of which the eye could not bear.
这里和那里有令人叹为观止的柔和蛋白石色彩,宛如火焰般明亮的钻石点缀其中,其光芒夺目,令人难以忍受; —

The power of the lantern seemed increased a hundredfold, like a lamp through the lenticular plates of a first-class lighthouse.
灯笼的亮度好像增强了一百倍,就像一座一流的灯塔的光通过透镜状平板散发出来;

“How beautiful! how beautiful!” cried Conseil.
“多么美丽!多么美丽!”康塞尔喊道;

“Yes,” I said, “it is a wonderful sight.
“是的,”我说,“这真是壮观的景象。 —

Is it not, Ned?”
对吗,尼德?”

“Yes, confound it! Yes,” answered Ned Land, “it is superb! I am mad at being obliged to admit it.
“没错,该死!没错。”尼德·兰德回答道,“真是太棒了!我真是疯了,居然不得不承认这一点。 —

No one has ever seen anything like it;
从来没有人见过这样的景象; —

but the sight may cost us dear. And, if I must say all, I think we are seeing here things which God never intended man to see.”
但是这样的景象可能会让我们付出惨重的代价。而且,如果我必须说出一切,我认为我们看到的是上帝没有打算让人类看到的东西。”

Ned was right, it was too beautiful.
尼德是对的,它太美了。 —

Suddenly a cry from Conseil made me turn.
忽然康塞(Conseil)发出一声呼喊,我转过身去。

“What is it?” I asked.
“怎么啦?”我问道。

“Shut your eyes, sir! Do not look, sir!
“闭上眼睛,先生!不要看, —

” Saying which, Conseil clapped his hands over his eyes.
先生!”康塞紧接着双手捂住了眼睛。

“But what is the matter, my boy?”
“可是怎么了,孩子?”

“I am dazzled, blinded.”
“我被迷惑了,被眩晕了。”

My eyes turned involuntarily towards the glass, but I could not stand the fire which seemed to devour them.
我的眼睛不由自主地看向玻璃,但我无法忍受那似乎要吞噬它们的火焰。 —

I understood what had happened.
我明白发生了什么。 —

The Nautilus had put on full speed.
鹦鹉螺号突然全速前进。 —

All the quiet lustre of the ice-walls was at once changed into flashes of lightning.
冰墙上所有宁静的光亮立刻变成了闪电般的光芒。 —

The fire from these myriads of diamonds was blinding.
这些数不清的钻石所散发的光芒令人目眩。 —

It required some time to calm our troubled looks.
我们需要一些时间来缓解受惊的目光。 —

At last the hands were taken down.
最后,双手才被放下。

“Faith, I should never have believed it,” said Conseil.
“真是不敢相信,”康塞说道。

It was then five in the morning;
那时是早上五点钟, —

and at that moment a shock was felt at the bows of the Nautilus.
在那一刻,鹦鹉螺号的船头感到了一阵震动。 —

I knew that its spur had struck a block of ice.
我知道它的刺撞到了一块冰块上。 —

It must have been a false manœuvre, for this submarine tunnel, obstructed by blocks, was not very easy navigation.
这肯定是一次错误的操作,因为这条被障碍物阻塞的潜艇隧道并不容易航行。 —

I thought that Captain Nemo, by changing his course, would either turn these obstacles or else follow the windings of the tunnel.
我以为尼摩船长会通过改变航线来转过这些障碍物,或者沿着隧道的曲线前进。 —

In any case, the road before us could not be entirely blocked.
无论如何,我们面前的道路不可能完全被堵塞。 —

But, contrary to my expectations, the Nautilus took a decided retrograde motion.
但与我的预期相反,鹦鹉螺号明显地开始倒退。

“We are going backwards?” said Conseil.
“我们在倒退?”康瑟尔问道。

“Yes,” I replied. “This end of the tunnel can have no egress.”
“是的,”我回答道,“这条隧道的尽头没有出口。”

“And then?”
“然后呢?”

“Then,” said I, “the working is easy.
“然后,”我说,“工作变得容易了。 —

We must go back again, and go out at the southern opening.
我们必须再返回去,然后从南口出去。 —

That is all.”
就这样。”

In speaking thus, I wished to appear more confident than I really was.
我这样说是希望表现得比我实际上更有信心。 —

But the retrograde motion of the Nautilus was increasing;
但鹦鹉螺号的倒退速度越来越快; —

and, reversing the screw, it carried us at great speed.
它逆转螺旋桨,以极大的速度带着我们前进。

“It will be a hindrance,” said Ned.
“这会成为一个阻碍,”尼德说道。

“What does it matter, some hours more or less, provided we get out at last?”
“没关系,多花几个小时又有什么关系,只要我们最终能出去就行。”

“Yes,” repeated Ned Land, “provided we do get out at last!”
“是的,”尼德·兰德重复道,“只要我们最终能够离开这里!”

For a short time I walked from the saloon to the library.
在船舱和图书馆之间,我在走廊上漫步。 —

My companions were silent.
我的同伴们一言不发。 —

I soon threw myself on an ottoman, and took a book, which my eyes overran mechanically.
我很快躺在一个脚凳上,拿起一本书,我的眼睛机械地扫过它。 —

A quarter of an hour after, Conseil, approaching me, said, “Is what you are reading very interesting, sir?”
一个小时后,康塞尔走近我,说:“先生,您正在读的东西很有趣吗?”

“Very interesting!” I replied.
“非常有趣!”我回答道。

“I should think so, sir.
“我想是的,先生。 —

It is your own book you are reading.”
您正在看您自己的书。”

“My book?”
“我的书?”

And indeed I was holding in my hand the work on the Great Submarine Depths.
事实上,我手里拿着的是有关深海潜艇的作品。 —

I did not even dream of it.
我甚至没有意识到。 —

I closed the book and returned to my walk.
我合上书,继续走动。 —

Ned and Conseil rose to go.
尼德和康塞尔站起来要走。

“Stay here, my friends,” said I, detaining them.
“留在这里,朋友们,”我拦住他们。 —

“Let us remain together until we are out of this block.”
“让我们在这个区域一起待到出去。”

“As you please, sir,” Conseil replied.
“随您便,先生,”康塞尔回答道。

Some hours passed. I often looked at the instruments hanging from the partition.
几个小时过去了。我经常看着挂在隔墙上的仪器。 —

The manometer showed that the Nautilus kept at a constant depth of more than three hundred yards;
压力计显示”诺丁国号”保持在超过300码的恒定深度; —

the compass still pointed to south;
指南针仍然指向南方; —

the log indicated a speed of twenty miles an hour, which, in such a cramped space, was very great.
航海日志显示每小时航速为20英里,在如此狭小的空间内非常快速。 —

But Captain Nemo knew that he could not hasten too much, and that minutes were worth ages to us.
但尼莫船长知道他不能太过匆忙,对于我们而言,每一分钟都如同岁月。 —

At twenty-five minutes past eight a second shock took place, this time from behind. I turned pale.
八点二十五分时,第二次冲击发生了,这次是从后方来的。我变得苍白。 —

My companions were close by my side.
我的伙伴们就在我身边。 —

I seized Conseil’s hand.
我紧紧握住康塞尔的手。 —

Our looks expressed our feelings better than words.
我们的眼神比语言更能表达我们的感受。 —

At this moment the Captain entered the saloon.
这时,船长走进了客厅。 —

I went up to him.
我走上前去。

“Our course is barred southward?” I asked.
“我们的航线被封锁在南方了吗?”我问道。

“Yes, sir. The iceberg has shifted and closed every outlet.”
“是的,先生。冰山已经转移并封锁了每一个出口。”

“We are blocked up then?”
“所以我们被困住了?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”