The Atlantic! a vast sheet of water whose superficial area covers twenty-five millions of square miles, the length of which is nine thousand miles, with a mean breadth of two thousand seven hundred—an ocean whose parallel winding shores embrace an immense circumference, watered by the largest rivers of the world, the St. Lawrence, the Mississippi, the Amazon, the Plata, the Orinoco, the Niger, the Senegal, the Elbe, the Loire, and the Rhine, which carry water from the most civilised, as well as from the most savage, countries!
大西洋!这片广阔的水域的表面积达到2500万平方英里,长度为9000英里,平均宽度为2700英里——这是一个长满平行蜿蜒的海岸线,环绕着巨大的周长,这片海域被世界上最大的河流所浇灌,包括圣劳伦斯河、密西西比河、亚马逊河、普拉达河、奥里诺科河、尼日尔河、塞内加尔河、埃尔佩河、卢瓦尔河和莱茵河,这些河流带来来自最文明国家和最野蛮国家的水! —

Magnificent field of water, incessantly ploughed by vessels of every nation, sheltered by the flags of every nation, and which terminates in those two terrible points so dreaded by mariners, Cape Horn and the Cape of Tempests.
辉煌的水域!不断航行着来自各国的船只,受各国旗帜的庇护,尽头是那两个令航海者闻风丧胆的可怕地点,好望角和暴风角。

The Nautilus was piercing the water with its sharp spur, after having accomplished nearly ten thousand leagues in three months and a half, a distance greater than the great circle of the earth.
鹦鹉螺号正在以其锐利的锥鼻穿越水面,完成了三个半月中近一万海里的航程,这个距离比地球的大圆周还要长。 —

Where were we going now, and what was reserved for the future?
现在我们要去哪里?未来有什么安排? —

The Nautilus, leaving the Straits of Gibraltar, had gone far out.
鹦鹉螺号离开直布罗陀海峡后已经航行了很远的距离。 —

It returned to the surface of the waves, and our daily walks on the platform were restored to us.
它返回了海面,我们每天在平台上的散步恢复了。

I mounted at once, accompanied by Ned Land and Conseil.
我立即骑上,由尼德兰和康赛尔陪同。 —

At a distance of about twelve miles, Cape St. Vincent was dimly to be seen, forming the south-western point of the Spanish peninsula.
大约十二英里的距离处,可以隐约看到圣文森角,它是西班牙半岛的西南点。 —

A strong southerly gale was blowing.
一股猛烈的南风正吹着。 —

The sea was swollen and billowy;
海洋汹涌澎湃, —

it made the Nautilus rock violently.
鹦鹉螺号剧烈摇晃。 —

It was almost impossible to keep one’s foot on the platform, which the heavy rolls of the sea beat over every instant.
几乎无法在平台上站稳脚步,海浪每一瞬间都会冲击过来。 —

So we descended after inhaling some mouthfuls of fresh air.
因此,我们吸了几口新鲜空气后下降了。

I returned to my room, Conseil to his cabin;
我回到了我的房间,康赛尔回到了他的舱房; —

but the Canadian, with a preoccupied air, followed me.
但是加拿大人一脸专注地跟着我。 —

Our rapid passage across the Mediterranean had not allowed him to put his project into execution, and he could not help showing his disappointment.
在地中海的快速航行没有让他实施他的计划,他无法掩饰自己的失望。 —

When the door of my room was shut, he sat down and looked at me silently.
当我房间的门被关上时,他坐下来默默地看着我。

“Friend Ned,” said I, “I understand you;
“Ned朋友,”我说,“我明白你的心情, —

but you cannot reproach yourself.
但你不能责怪自己。 —

To have attempted to leave the Nautilus under the circumstances would have been folly.”
在那种情况下试图离开“鹦鹉螺”是愚蠢的。”

Ned Land did not answer; his compressed lips and frowning brow showed with him the violent possession this fixed idea had taken of his mind.
Ned Land没有回答;他紧闭的嘴唇和愁眉苦脸显示出他对这个固定想法的强烈执着。

“Let us see,” I continued; “we need not despair yet.
“我们来看看。”我继续说道,“我们还不必绝望。 —

We are going up the coast of Portugal again;
我们正在沿着葡萄牙海岸航行; —

France and England are not far off, where we can easily find refuge.
法国和英格兰就在附近,我们可以轻易找到庇护所。 —

Now if the Nautilus, on leaving the Straits of Gibraltar, had gone to the south, if it had carried us towards regions where there were no continents, I should share your uneasiness.
现在,如果“鹦鹉螺”在离开直布罗陀海峡后向南去了,如果它把我们带往没有大陆的地区,我会和你一样担心。 —

But we know now that Captain Nemo does not fly from civilised seas, and in some days I think you can act with security.”
但我们现在知道,尼莫船长不会离开文明海域,我想过几天你可以行动得更加安心。”

Ned Land still looked at me fixedly;
Ned Land仍然凝视着我, —

at length his fixed lips parted, and he said, “It is for to-night.”
最后他紧闭的嘴唇分开,他说道:“就在今晚。”

I drew myself up suddenly. I was, I admit, little prepared for this communication.
我突然挺直了身子。我承认,对于这样的交流,我准备得很少。 —

I wanted to answer the Canadian, but words would not come.
我想回答那位加拿大人,但却说不出话来。

“We agreed to wait for an opportunity, ” continued Ned Land, “and the opportunity has arrived.
“我们约定等待机会。”尼德·兰德继续说,“而机会已经来临。 —

This night we shall be but a few miles from the Spanish coast.
今晚我们将距离西班牙海岸只有几英里。 —

It is cloudy.
天阴。 —

The wind blows freely. I have your word, M. Aronnax, and I rely upon you.”
风在自由地吹。我相信你的话,阿罗纳克斯先生,我依靠你。”

As I was silent, the Canadian approached me.
我保持沉默,加拿大人走近我。

“To-night, at nine o’clock,” said he.
“今晚九点钟,”他说: —

“I have warned Conseil.
“我已经警告了康塞尔。那个时候, —

At that moment Captain Nemo will be shut up in his room, probably in bed.
尼摩船长应该会被关在他的房间里,可能在床上。 —

Neither the engineers nor the ship’s crew can see us.
既不是工程师,也不是船员会看见我们。 —

Conseil and I will gain the central staircase, and you, M. Aronnax, will remain in the library, two steps from us, waiting my signal.
康塞尔和我会走进中央楼梯,而你,阿罗纳克斯先生,会留在图书馆里,离我们只有两步的距离,等待我的信号。 —

The oars, the mast, and the sail are in the canoe.
桨、桅杆和帆都在小船上。 —

I have even succeeded in getting some provisions.
我甚至成功地弄到了一些食物。 —

I have procured an English wrench, to unfasten the bolts which attach it to the shell of the Nautilus.
我弄到了一把英式扳手,用来松开连结它和“鹦鹉螺”的螺栓。 —

So all is ready, till to-night.”
所以一切都准备好了,直到今晚。

“The sea is bad.”
“海情不好。”

“That I allow,” replied the Canadian;
“我承认这一点,”加拿大人回答道, —

“but we must risk that.
“但我们必须冒这个险。 —

Liberty is worth paying for;
自由是值得付出代价的; —

besides, the boat is strong, and a few miles with a fair wind to carry us is no great thing.
而且这艘船很强壮,有一丝顺风能带我们几英里,并不是什么大事。 —

Who knows but by to-morrow we may be a hundred leagues away?
谁知道明天我们可能已经远离百里之外? —

Let circumstances only favour us, and by ten or eleven o’clock we shall have landed on some spot of terra firma, alive or dead.
只要情况对我们有利,到十一点钟左右,我们就会登陆在某个陆地上,无论活着还是死着。 —

But adieu now till to-night.”
但现在再见到晚上。”

With these words the Canadian withdrew, leaving me almost dumb.
说完这些话,加拿大人退走了,让我几乎哑口无言。 —

I had imagined that, the chance gone, I should have time to reflect and discuss the matter.
我原以为,失去机会后,我将有时间反思和讨论这个问题。 —

My obstinate companion had given me no time;
我固执的伴侣没有给我时间; —

and, after all, what could I have said to him?
而且,毕竟,我能对他说什么呢? —

Ned Land was perfectly right.
Ned Land完全正确。 —

There was almost the opportunity to profit by.
几乎有机会可以利用。 —

Could I retract my word, and take upon myself the responsibility of compromising the future of my companions?
我能否收回我的承诺,承担起危及同伴未来的责任? —

To-morrow Captain Nemo might take us far from all land.
明天,尼莫船长可能会把我们带离所有陆地。

At that moment a rather loud hissing noise told me that the reservoirs were filling, and that the Nautilus was sinking under the waves of the Atlantic.
就在那一刻,一阵相当大的嘶嘶声告诉我,水库正在注满水,而海底船“鹦鹉螺”正沉没在大西洋的波浪之下。

A sad day I passed, between the desire of regaining my liberty of action and of abandoning the wonderful Nautilus, and leaving my submarine studies incomplete.
我度过了一个悲伤的日子,曾在对重获自由行动的渴望和放弃这个神奇的“鹦鹉螺”之间犹豫不决,留下我未完成的海底研究。

What dreadful hours I passed thus!
我度过了多么可怕的时光啊! —

Sometimes seeing myself and companions safely landed, sometimes wishing, in spite of my reason, that some unforeseen circumstance, would prevent the realisation of Ned Land’s project.
有时候,我幻想着自己和同伴安全登陆,有时候,即使我明知不可为,还渴望着某种不可预见的情况能够阻止尼德·兰的计划成真。

Twice I went to the saloon. I wished to consult the compass.
我两次去了船厅。我想查看指南针。 —

I wished to see if the direction the Nautilus was taking was bringing us nearer or taking us farther from the coast.
我想看看“鹦鹉螺”航行的方向是将我们拉近还是带离着岸边。 —

But no; the Nautilus kept in Portuguese waters.
但是不,在葡萄牙的海域,“鹦鹉螺”继续航行。

I must therefore take my part and prepare for flight.
因此,我必须承担起自己的责任并准备逃跑。 —

My luggage was not heavy;
我的行李并不重;只有我的笔记, —

my notes, nothing more.
仅此而已。

As to Captain Nemo, I asked myself what he would think of our escape;
至于尼摩船长,我问自己他会对我们的逃脱有什么想法; —

what trouble, what wrong it might cause him and what he might do in case of its discovery or failure.
他可能遇到什么麻烦,会导致什么问题,以及他在发现或失败的情况下可能会做什么。 —

Certainly I had no cause to complain of him;
毫无疑问,我没有理由对他抱怨; —

on the contrary, never was hospitality freer than his.
相反,他的款待从未如此慷慨。离开他, —

In leaving him I could not be taxed with ingratitude.
我不会被指责为忘恩负义。 —

No oath bound us to him. It was on the strength of circumstances he relied, and not upon our word, to fix us for ever.
没有誓言束缚我们与他。我们靠的是情况的力量,而不是我们的承诺,来使我们永远留在这里。

I had not seen the Captain since our visit to the Island of Santorin.
自从我们参观圣托林岛以来,我就没见过船长。 —

Would chance bring me to his presence before our departure?
机会会在我们离开之前让我见到他吗? —

I wished it, and I feared it at the same time.
我希望如此,但同时也害怕。我倾听着, —

I listened if I could hear him walking the room contiguous to mine.
是否能听到他在我隔壁的房间里走动。 —

No sound reached my ear.
没有声音传入我的耳朵。 —

I felt an unbearable uneasiness.
我感到难以忍受的不安。 —

This day of waiting seemed eternal.
这个等待的日子似乎太长了。 —

Hours struck too slowly to keep pace with my impatience.
钟声走得太慢,无法满足我的焦急。

My dinner was served in my room as usual. I ate but little;
我的晚餐像往常一样送到了房间里。我吃得很少, —

I was too preoccupied. I left the table at seven o’clock.
因为我太担心了。我在七点钟离开了餐桌。 —

A hundred and twenty minutes (I counted them) still separated me from the moment in which I was to join Ned Land. My agitation redoubled.
一百二十分钟(我数过了)仍然将我与加入内德·兰德的时刻分隔开。我的不安加倍。 —

My pulse beat violently. I could not remain quiet.
我的脉搏猛烈跳动着。我无法保持安静。 —

I went and came, hoping to calm my troubled spirit by constant movement.
我来回走动,希望通过不停的动作来平静心乱。 —

The idea of failure in our bold enterprise was the least painful of my anxieties;
在我们大胆的企图中失败的想法是我焦虑中最不痛苦的一部分。 —

but the thought of seeing our project discovered before leaving the Nautilus, of being brought before Captain Nemo, irritated, or (what was worse) saddened, at my desertion, made my heart beat.
但是想到在离开鹦鹉螺号之前我们的计划被发现,被带到尼莫船长面前,他对我的背叛感到愤怒或(更糟糕的是)感到伤心,这让我的心跳加快。

I wanted to see the saloon for the last time.
我想最后一次看看客厅。 —

I descended the stairs and arrived in the museum, where I had passed so many useful and agreeable hours.
我下了楼梯,来到了博物馆,那里我度过了许多有用而愉快的时间。 —

I looked at all its riches, all its treasures, like a man on the eve of an eternal exile, who was leaving never to return.
我看着它所有的财富,所有的珍宝,就像一个即将永远流浪的人,在离开再也不会回来的前夕。

These wonders of Nature, these masterpieces of art, amongst which for so many days my life had been concentrated, I was going to abandon them for ever!
这些自然的奇迹,这些艺术的杰作,我曾连续数日将生活聚焦在其中,而我即将永远舍弃它们! —

I should like to have taken a last look through the windows of the saloon into the waters of the Atlantic:
我想通过客厅的窗户看一眼大西洋的水: —

but the panels were hermetically closed, and a cloak of steel separated me from that ocean which I had not yet explored.
但是窗户是严密关闭的,一层坚固的钢屏隔绝了我与我尚未探索的海洋。

In passing through the saloon, I came near the door let into the angle which opened into the Captain’s room.
穿过客厅时,我靠近那扇通往船长房间的角落处的门。 —

To my great surprise, this door was ajar.
令我大为惊讶的是,这扇门是半开着的。 —

I drew back involuntarily.
我下意识地退后了一步。 —

If Captain Nemo should be in his room, he could see me.
如果纳摩船长在自己的房间里,他可能会看见我。 —

But, hearing no sound, I drew nearer.
但是没有听到任何声音,我走近了一些。 —

The room was deserted.
房间里空无一人。 —

I pushed open the door and took some steps forward.
我推开门向前走了几步。 —

Still the same monklike severity of aspect.
仍然是同样僧侣般严肃的面容。

Suddenly the clock struck eight.
突然,钟声敲响了八下。 —

The first beat of the hammer on the bell awoke me from my dreams.
钟槌敲击钟铃的第一下,我从梦中醒来。 —

I trembled as if an invisible eye had plunged into my most secret thoughts, and I hurried from the room.
我颤抖着,仿佛一个无形的眼睛深入我最隐秘的思绪,我匆忙离开了房间。

There my eye fell upon the compass.
在那儿,我的眼睛落在了罗盘上。 —

Our course was still north.
我们的航向仍然是北方。 —

The log indicated moderate speed, the manometer a depth of about sixty feet.
日志显示中等速度,压力计显示大约六十英尺的深度。

I returned to my room, clothed myself warmly—sea boots, an otterskin cap, a great coat of byssus, lined with sealskin; I was ready, I was waiting.
我返回了我的房间,穿上了保暖的衣物——海靴、一顶水獭毛帽子、一件内衬海豹皮的丝绸大衣;我已经准备好了,正在等待。 —

The vibration of the screw alone broke the deep silence which reigned on board.
只有螺旋桨的振动打破了船上的寂静。 —

I listened attentively.
我专心倾听着。 —

Would no loud voice suddenly inform me that Ned Land had been surprised in his projected flight.
会不会有什么大声音突然告诉我,尼德·兰德在他计划的逃亡中被发现了呢? —

A mortal dread hung over me, and I vainly tried to regain my accustomed coolness.
一种致命的恐惧笼罩着我,我徒劳地试图重新恢复我习以为常的冷静。

At a few minutes to nine, I put my ear to the Captain’s door.
快九点的时候,我把耳朵贴在船长的门上。没有声音。 —

No noise.

I left my room and returned to the saloon, which was half in obscurity, but deserted.
我离开了我的房间,回到了半明半暗、但人迹罕至的船厅。

I opened the door communicating with the library.
我打开了通往图书馆的门。 —

The same insufficient light, the same solitude.
同样的微弱光线,同样的孤寂。 —

I placed myself near the door leading to the central staircase, and there waited for Ned Land’s signal.
我站在通往中央楼梯的门附近,等待尼德·兰德的信号。

At that moment the trembling of the screw sensibly diminished, then it stopped entirely.
就在那一刻,螺丝的颤动明显减小,然后完全停止了。 —

The silence was now only disturbed by the beatings of my own heart.
此时,只有我自己心脏的跳动打破了寂静。突然, —

Suddenly a slight shock was felt;
我感到了轻微的震动; —

and I knew that the Nautilus had stopped at the bottom of the ocean.
我知道,鹦鹉螺已经停在了海底。 —

My uneasiness increased.
我的不安感加剧了, —

The Canadian’s signal did not come.
加拿大人的信号没有传来。 —

I felt inclined to join Ned Land and beg of him to put off his attempt.
我有点想加入纳德·兰德,恳求他取消这个企图。 —

I felt that we were not sailing under our usual conditions.
我感到我们的航行条件与平时不同。

At this moment the door of the large saloon opened, and Captain Nemo appeared.
就在这时,大型舱室的门打开了,纳密船长出现了。 —

He saw me, and without further preamble began in an amiable tone of voice:
他看到了我,毫不拖泥带水地用和蔼的语调开始说话:

“Ah, sir! I have been looking for you.
“啊,先生!我一直在找你。 —

Do you know the history of Spain?”
你了解西班牙的历史吗?”

Now, one might know the history of one’s own country by heart;
或许一个人可以把自己国家的历史倒背如流; —

but in the condition I was at the time, with troubled mind and head quite lost, I could not have said a word of it.
但在那个时候,我心烦意乱,头脑空白,根本说不出一句话来。

“Well,” continued Captain Nemo, “you heard my question!
“好了,”纳密船长继续说道,“你听到我的问题了! —

Do you know the history of Spain?”
你了解西班牙的历史吗?”

“Very slightly,” I answered.
“我回答说,稍微一点点。”

“Well, here are learned men having to learn, ” said the Captain. “Come, sit down, and I will tell you a curious episode in this history.
“好吧,这里有一群博学的人得去学习,”船长说。“来,坐下,我会告诉你一个有趣的故事片段。” —

Sir, listen well,” said he;
“先生,请好好听着, —

“this history will interest you on one side, for it will answer a question which doubtless you have not been able to solve.”
”他说。“这个故事会让你感兴趣,因为它将回答一个你肯定不能解决的问题。”

“I listen, Captain,” said I, not knowing what my interlocutor was driving at, and asking myself if this incident was bearing on our projected flight.
“我听着,船长,”我说,不知道我的对话者在引申什么,不知道这个事件是否与我们计划的飞行有关。

“Sir, if you have no objection, we will go back to 1702.
“先生,如果您不介意, —

You cannot be ignorant that your king, Louis XIV, thinking that the gesture of a potentate was sufficient to bring the Pyrenees under his yoke, had imposed the Duke of Anjou, his grandson, on the Spaniards.
我们回到1702年。你肯定不会不知道你的国王路易十四认为一位统治者的姿态足以将比利牛斯强加在他的统治下,他让他的孙子安茹的公爵统治了西班牙。” —

This prince reigned more or less badly under the name of Philip V, and had a strong party against him abroad.
这位王子以菲利普五世的名字统治得好坏参差不齐,他在国外也有强大的反对派。 —

Indeed, the preceding year, the royal houses of Holland, Austria, and England had concluded a treaty of alliance at the Hague, with the intention of plucking the crown of Spain from the head of Philip V, and placing it on that of an archduke to whom they prematurely gave the title of Charles III.
实际上,前一年,荷兰、奥地利和英国的皇室在海牙签署了一项联盟条约,意图将西班牙的皇冠从菲利普五世的头上夺下,并将其戴在一个被过早赋予“查理三世”头衔的大公头上。

“Spain must resist this coalition;
“西班牙必须抵抗这个联盟; —

but she was almost entirely unprovided with either soldiers or sailors.
然而,她几乎没有士兵或水手。 —

However, money would not fail them, provided that their galleons, laden with gold and silver from America, once entered their ports.
然而,只要他们装载着从美洲得来的金银的西班牙大帆船一旦进入港口,资金就不会缺乏。 —

And about the end of 1702 they expected a rich convoy which France was escorting with a fleet of twenty-three vessels, commanded by Admiral Chateau-Renaud, for the ships of the coalition were already beating the Atlantic.
大约在1702年末,他们期望一支丰厚的船队,由法国海军上将夏多雷诺护送,船队由23艘船组成,而联盟舰队已经在大西洋上追赶。 —

This convoy was to go to Cadiz, but the Admiral, hearing that an English fleet was cruising in those waters, resolved to make for a French port.
这支船队计划前往加的斯,但是海军上将听说在那片海域有一支英国舰队巡航,决定前往法国港口。

“The Spanish commanders of the convoy objected to this decision.
“船队的西班牙指挥官对这个决定提出了反对。 —

They wanted to be taken to a Spanish port, and, if not to Cadiz, into Vigo Bay, situated on the northwest coast of Spain, and which was not blocked.
他们希望被带到西班牙的一个港口,如果不能是加的斯,那就是位于西班牙西北海岸的维戈湾,这个地方没有被封锁。

“Admiral Chateau-Renaud had the rashness to obey this injunction, and the galleons entered Vigo Bay.
“沙图雷诺上将居然冒险遵命,将舰队驶入维戈湾。

“Unfortunately, it formed an open road which could not be defended in any way.
“然而,这是一个无法进行任何防御的开放海域。 —

They must therefore hasten to unload the galleons before the arrival of the combined fleet;
因此,他们必须在联合舰队抵达之前尽快卸下货物; —

and time would not have failed them had not a miserable question of rivalry suddenly arisen.
如果没有一个可悲的争吵问题突然出现,时间本不会耗尽。

“You are following the chain of events?
“你理解事态的经过了吗? —

” asked Captain Nemo.
”尼摩船长问道。

“Perfectly,” said I, not knowing the end proposed by this historical lesson.
“完全理解,”我说,不知道这个历史教训的目的是什么。

“I will continue. This is what passed.
“我将继续。这就是事情的经过。 —

The merchants of Cadiz had a privilege by which they had the right of receiving all merchandise coming from the West Indies.
加的斯的商人享有一项特权,即有权接收来自西印度群岛的所有商品。 —

Now, to disembark these ingots at the port of Vigo was depriving them of their rights.
现在,在维戈港卸货就是剥夺他们的权利。 —

They complained at Madrid, and obtained the consent of the weak-minded Philip that the convoy, without discharging its cargo, should remain sequestered in the roads of Vigo until the enemy had disappeared.
他们在马德里抱怨,并得到了软弱的菲利普的同意,使得押送船只不卸货,留在维戈湾的海域直到敌人消失。

“But whilst coming to this decision, on the 22nd of October, 1702, the English vessels arrived in Vigo Bay, when Admiral Chateau-Renaud, in spite of inferior forces, fought bravely.
“然而,在做出这个决定时,英国船只于1702年10月22日抵达维戈湾,尽管实力劣势,查多勒诺上将还是勇敢地战斗着。 —

But, seeing that the treasure must fall into the enemy’s hands, he burnt and scuttled every galleon, which went to the bottom with their immense riches.”
但是,他明白财宝必然会落入敌人手中,于是点燃和沉没了每一艘幸运舰,连同其丰厚的财富一同沉入海底。”

Captain Nemo stopped. I admit I could not see yet why this history should interest me.
尼摩船长停了下来。我承认我还不能明白这段历史为何会引起我的兴趣。

“Well?” I asked.
“那么?”我问道。

“Well, M. Aronnax,” replied Captain Nemo, “we are in that Vigo Bay;
“那么,阿罗纳克斯先生,”尼摩船长回答,“我们就在那个维戈湾, —

and it rests with yourself whether you will penetrate its mysteries.”
你可以选择是否要揭开它的神秘面纱。”

The Captain rose, telling me to follow him.
船长站起来,告诉我跟着他。我已经有时间恢复过来了, —

I had had time to recover.
于是听从了他的指示。 —

I obeyed.

The saloon was dark, but through the transparent glass the waves were sparkling. I looked.
客厅很暗,但透过透明的玻璃,波浪闪耀着。我看了看。

For half a mile around the Nautilus, the waters seemed bathed in electric light.
绕着“鹦鹉螺”号半英里范围内,水面上充满了电光。 —

The sandy bottom was clean and bright.
沙底洁净明亮。 —

Some of the ship’s crew in their diving-dresses were clearing away half-rotten barrels and empty cases from the midst of the blackened wrecks.
船员们穿着潜水衣从黑色的残骸中清除腐烂的桶和空箱子。 —

From these cases and from these barrels escaped ingots of gold and silver, cascades of piastres and jewels.
从这些箱子和桶里溢出了金银块,飞流直下的硬币和珠宝。 —

The sand was heaped up with them.
沙滩上堆满了宝贝。 —

Laden with their precious booty, the men returned to the Nautilus, disposed of their burden, and went back to this inexhaustible fishery of gold and silver.
扛着这些贵重的战利品,人们回到“鹦鹉螺”号,卸下了他们的负担,又回到了这座永远不会枯竭的黄金和白银渔场。

I understood now. This was the scene of the battle of the 22nd of October, 1702.
现在我明白了。这就是1702年10月22日的战斗场景。 —

Here on this very spot the galleons laden for the Spanish Government had sunk.
正是在这个地方,为西班牙政府装载的大副船只沉没了。 —

Here Captain Nemo came, according to his wants, to pack up those millions with which he burdened the Nautilus.
船长尼摩就在这里,根据自己的需要,打包这些数以百万计的物品,压在了“鹦鹉螺”号上。 —

It was for him and him alone America had given up her precious metals.
美洲只为他一个人放弃了珍贵的金属。 —

He was heir direct, without anyone to share, in those treasures torn from the Incas and from the conquered of Ferdinand Cortez.
他是直系继承人,没有任何人与他分享从印加人和费尔南多·科尔特斯征服者手中掠夺来的那些财宝。

“Did you know, sir,” he asked, smiling, “that the sea contained such riches?”
“您知道吗,先生,”他微笑着问道,” 海洋里蕴藏着如此丰富的财富吗?”

“I knew,” I answered, “that they value money held in suspension in these waters at two millions.”
“我知道,”我回答道,” 他们估计这些水域中悬浮着的财富价值为两百万。

“Doubtless; but to extract this money the expense would be greater than the profit.
“无疑;但是要提取这些财富所需的费用将超过利润。 —

Here, on the contrary, I have but to pick up what man has lost—and not only in Vigo Bay, but in a thousand other ports where shipwrecks have happened, and which are marked on my submarine map.
“相反,在这里,我只需要捡起人们在维戈湾以及其他一千个发生过沉船事故,并被标记在我的潜水地图上的港口丢失的东西。 —

Can you understand now the source of the millions I am worth?”
“现在你明白我身价百万的来源了吗?”

“I understand, Captain.
“我明白了,船长。 —

But allow me to tell you that in exploring Vigo Bay you have only been beforehand with a rival society.”
但请允许我告诉您,在探索维戈湾方面,您只是比一个竞争社会更早一步罢了。”

“And which?”
“是哪一个社会?”

“A society which has received from the Spanish Government the privilege of seeking those buried galleons.
“一个从西班牙政府得到特权去寻找那些沉船的社会。” —

The shareholders are led on by the allurement of an enormous bounty, for they value these rich shipwrecks at five hundred millions.”
股东们被巨额的诱惑所引导,因为他们将这些丰富的沉船财富估值为五亿美元。

“Five hundred millions they were, ” answered Captain Nemo, “but they are so no longer.”
“确实,它们曾经是五亿美元,”尼莫船长回答道,“但现在已经不是了。”

“Just so,” said I; “and a warning to those shareholders would be an act of charity.
“是的,”我说,“向这些股东发出警告是一个慈善行为。 —

But who knows if it would be well received?
但谁知道他们会不会接受呢? —

What gamblers usually regret above all is less the loss of their money than of their foolish hopes.
赌徒们通常最后悔的不是失去了金钱,而是愚蠢的希望。 —

After all, I pity them less than the thousands of unfortunates to whom so much riches well-distributed would have been profitable, whilst for them they will be for ever barren.”
归根结底,我对他们的遭遇比起那些数以千计的不幸者来说,更加怜悯。对于后者来说,这么多的财富如果被合理分配,会起到益处,而对于他们来说,永远是无用的。

I had no sooner expressed this regret than I felt that it must have wounded Captain Nemo.
我刚刚表达这种遗憾,就感到这一定会伤害到尼莫船长。

“Barren!” he exclaimed, with animation.
“无用?”他活跃地问道。“难道您认为, —

“Do you think then, sir, that these riches are lost because I gather them?
先生,这些财富因为被我收集起来而白白浪费了吗? —

Is it for myself alone, according to your idea, that I take the trouble to collect these treasures?
按照您的观点,我所做的努力只是为了自己吗?难道我不是为了所有人吗?” —

Who told you that I did not make a good use of it?
谁告诉你我没有善加利用呢? —

Do you think I am ignorant that there are suffering beings and oppressed races on this earth, miserable creatures to console, victims to avenge? Do you not understand?”
你认为我会不知道这个世界上有苦难的存在和被压迫的种族吗?我能安慰那些痛苦的生物,为那些受害者复仇,你难道不明白吗?

Captain Nemo stopped at these last words, regretting perhaps that he had spoken so much.
纳摩船长在说出这些话后停下来,或许后悔自己说得太多了。 —

But I had guessed that, whatever the motive which had forced him to seek independence under the sea, it had left him still a man, that his heart still beat for the sufferings of humanity, and that his immense charity was for oppressed races as well as individuals.
但是我猜到了,无论是什么原因迫使他寻求在海底独立,他还是一个人,他的心仍为人类的苦难跳动,他的慈善也是为被压迫的种族而存在的,不仅仅是为个体。 —

And I then understood for whom those millions were destined which were forwarded by Captain Nemo when the Nautilus was cruising in the waters of Crete.
我明白了,那些数百万的财富是供纳摩船长在纳瓦修斯号在克里特海域巡航时使用的。