The next day, the 12th of February, at the dawn of day, the Nautilus rose to the surface.
第二天,2月12日,天亮时,鹦鹉螺升到了水面。 —

I hastened on to the platform.
我急忙走向平台。 —

Three miles to the south the dim outline of Pelusium was to be seen.
向南三英里处,可以看到佩鲁西亚模糊的轮廓。 —

A torrent had carried us from one sea to another.
一股急流把我们从一个海域带到了另一个海域。 —

About seven o’clock Ned and Conseil joined me.
大约七点,尼德和康塞尔加入了我。

“Well, Sir Naturalist,” said the Canadian, in a slightly jovial tone, “and the Mediterranean?”
“嗯,自然学家先生,”加拿大人以略带玩笑的口气说,“地中海呢?”

“We are floating on its surface, friend Ned.”
“我们正漂浮在它的表面,尼德朋友。”

“What!” said Conseil, “this very night.”
“什么!”康塞尔说,“就在今晚。”

“Yes, this very night; in a few minutes we have passed this impassable isthmus.”
“是的,就在今晚。几分钟后,我们就会通过这个无法通过的地峡。”

“I do not believe it,” replied the Canadian.
“我不相信,”加拿大人回答道。

“Then you are wrong, Master Land,” I continued;
“那你错了,兰德先生,”我继续说道, —

“this low coast which rounds off to the south is the Egyptian coast.
“这个向南弯曲的低海岸是埃及海岸。 —

And you who have such good eyes, Ned, you can see the jetty of Port Said stretching into the sea.”
而你有这么好的眼睛,尼德,你可以看到赛义德港延伸进海里的码头。”

The Canadian looked attentively.
加拿大人仔细看了看。

“Certainly you are right, sir, and your Captain is a first-rate man.
“确实,先生,你说得对,你的船长是个一流的人。 —

We are in the Mediterranean. Good!
我们在地中海了。太好了! —

Now, if you please, let us talk of our own little affair, but so that no one hears us.”
现在,如果你愿意的话,我们来谈谈我们自己的小事情,但是不能让别人听见。

I saw what the Canadian wanted, and, in any case, I thought it better to let him talk, as he wished it;
我看到了那个加拿大人想要的,而且无论如何,我觉得最好还是让他谈谈,因为他愿意。 —

so we all three went and sat down near the lantern, where we were less exposed to the spray of the blades.
所以我们三个都去坐在灯笼附近,那里不容易被水花溅到。

“Now, Ned, we listen; what have you to tell us?”
“现在,Ned,我们听着,你有什么事要告诉我们?”

“What I have to tell you is very simple. We are in Europe;
“我要告诉你们的事情很简单。我们现在在欧洲, —

and before Captain Nemo’s caprices drag us once more to the bottom of the Polar Seas, or lead us into Oceania, I ask to leave the Nautilus.”
在Nemo船长的任性再一次把我们拖到南极海底或者带我们去大洋洲之前,我要求离开『鹦鹉螺号』。”

I wished in no way to shackle the liberty of my companions, but I certainly felt no desire to leave Captain Nemo.
我并不希望限制我的伙伴们的自由,但我确实不想离开Nemo船长。

Thanks to him, and thanks to his apparatus, I was each day nearer the completion of my submarine studies;
多亏了他,以及他的装置,我每天都离完成我对潜水的研究更近一步; —

and I was rewriting my book of submarine depths in its very element.
我正在重新撰写我关于海洋深度的书,而且在水中完成。 —

Should I ever again have such an opportunity of observing the wonders of the ocean?
我还会再有这样的机会去观察海洋的奇迹吗?不, —

No, certainly not!
当然不会! —

And I could not bring myself to the idea of abandoning the Nautilus before the cycle of investigation was accomplished.
我不能使自己接受在调查完之前放弃《鹦鹉螺号》的想法。

“Friend Ned, answer me frankly, are you tired of being on board?
“朋友尼德,坦率地告诉我,你对待在船上已经感到厌烦了吗? —

Are you sorry that destiny has thrown us into Captain Nemo’s hands?”
你后悔命运把我们交到了尼摩船长的手中吗?”

The Canadian remained some moments without answering.
加拿大人沉默了一会儿, —

Then, crossing his arms, he said:
然后双臂交叉,说道:

“Frankly, I do not regret this journey under the seas.
“坦率地说,我并不后悔这次的海底之旅。 —

I shall be glad to have made it;
我会为能参与其中感到高兴; —

but, now that it is made, let us have done with it.
但是,既然已经完成了,让我们就此结束吧。 —

That is my idea.”
这是我的想法。”

“It will come to an end, Ned.”
“它会结束的,尼德。”

“Where and when?”
“在哪里以及何时?”

“Where I do not know—when I cannot say; or, rather, I suppose it will end when these seas have nothing more to teach us.”
“在哪里我不知道,何时我也无法确定;或者说,我猜想当这些海洋再没有更多东西可以教会我们的时候,它就会结束。”

“Then what do you hope for?” demanded the Canadian.
“那你希望发生什么?”加拿大人问道。

“That circumstances may occur as well six months hence as now by which we may and ought to profit.”
“我希望在六个月后,或是现在,会发生一些情况,给我们提供利用和从中受益的机会。”

“Oh!” said Ned Land, “and where shall we be in six months, if you please, Sir Naturalist?”
“哦!”尼德·兰德说道,“如果您愿意,自然学家先生,那么六个月后我们将在哪里呢?”

“Perhaps in China; you know the Nautilus is a rapid traveller.
“也许在中国;你知道鹦鹉螺是一种高速的旅行者。 —

It goes through water as swallows through the air, or as an express on the land.
它穿越水域就像燕子穿越空气,或者像陆地上的特快列车。 —

It does not fear frequented seas;
它并不害怕繁忙的海域; —

who can say that it may not beat the coasts of France, England, or America, on which flight may be attempted as advantageously as here.”
谁能说它不会击败法国、英国或美国的海岸呢?在那里进行飞行可能与这里一样有利。”

“M. Aronnax,” replied the Canadian, “your arguments are rotten at the foundation.
“阿龙纳克斯先生,”加拿大人回答道,“你的论据基础不牢固。 —

You speak in the future, ‘We shall be there!
你未来地说‘我们会在那里! —

we shall be here!
我们会在这里!’ —

’ I speak in the present, ‘We are here, and we must profit by it.’”
而我现在地说‘我们在这里,并且我们必须利用这个机会。’”

Ned Land’s logic pressed me hard, and I felt myself beaten on that ground.
尼德·兰的逻辑给我施加了压力,我感到在那一方面我失败了。 —

I knew not what argument would now tell in my favour.
我不知道现在有什么论据可以支持我的观点。

“Sir,” continued Ned, “let us suppose an impossibility:
“先生,”尼德继续说道,“让我们假设一个不可能: —

if Captain Nemo should this day offer you your liberty;
如果尼摩船长今天提供给你自由, —

would you accept it?”
你会接受吗?”

“I do not know,” I answered.
“我不知道,”我回答道。

“And if,” he added, “the offer made you this day was never to be renewed, would you accept it?”
“而且,”他补充道,“如果今天提供给你的选择不再重复,你会接受吗?”

“Friend Ned, this is my answer.
“朋友Ned,这是我的答案。 —

Your reasoning is against me.
你的推理与我背道而驰。 —

We must not rely on Captain Nemo’s good-will.
我们不能依赖尼摩船长的好意。 —

Common prudence forbids him to set us at liberty.
常识告诉他不要释放我们。 —

On the other side, prudence bids us profit by the first opportunity to leave the Nautilus.”
另一方面,常识告诉我们要抓住第一个机会离开鹦鹉螺。“

“Well, M. Aronnax, that is wisely said.”
“好吧,阿罗纳克斯先生,你说得很明智。”

“Only one observation—just one.
“只有一个观察——只有一个。 —

The occasion must be serious, and our first attempt must succeed;
情况必须严肃,我们的第一次尝试必须成功; —

if it fails, we shall never find another, and Captain Nemo will never forgive us.”
如果失败了,我们将永远找不到另一个机会,尼摩船长将永远不会原谅我们。“

“All that is true,” replied the Canadian.
“那都是真的,”加拿大人回答道。 —

“But your observation applies equally to all attempts at flight, whether in two years’ time, or in two days’.
“但是你的观察同样适用于所有逃跑的尝试,无论是两年之后还是两天之后。 —

But the question is still this:
但问题仍然是: —

If a favourable opportunity presents itself, it must be seized.”
如果有一个有利的机会出现,就必须抓住。”

“Agreed! And now, Ned, will you tell me what you mean by a favourable opportunity?”
“同意!现在,Ned,你能告诉我‘有利的时机’是什么意思吗?”

“It will be that which, on a dark night, will bring the Nautilus a short distance from some European coast.”
“就是指在一个黑夜,把‘鹦鹉螺号’靠近欧洲海岸的一个短距离。”

“And you will try and save yourself by swimming?”
“然后你会试着通过游泳来救自己?”

“Yes, if we were near enough to the bank, and if the vessel was floating at the time.
“是的,如果我们离岸足够近,而且船在漂浮的时候。” —

Not if the bank was far away, and the boat was under the water.”
“如果离岸远,而且船下沉的话就不行了。”

“And in that case?”
“那种情况下呢?”

“In that case, I should seek to make myself master of the pinnace.
“那种情况下,我会试图掌控小艇。 —

I know how it is worked.
我知道它是如何工作的。 —

We must get inside, and the bolts once drawn, we shall come to the surface of the water, without even the pilot, who is in the bows, perceiving our flight.”
“我们必须进入内部,一旦闩栓打开,我们便会浮上水面,甚至连船头的舵手也察觉不到我们的逃离。”

“Well, Ned, watch for the opportunity;
“好吧,Ned,等待时机吧, —

but do not forget that a hitch will ruin us.”
但别忘了一次创口可能会毁了我们。”

“I will not forget, sir.”
“我不会忘记的,先生。”

“And now, Ned, would you like to know what I think of your project?”
“现在,Ned,你想知道我对你的计划有何看法吗?”

“Certainly, M. Aronnax.”
“当然,阿罗纳克斯先生。”

“Well, I think—I do not say I hope—I think that this favourable opportunity will never present itself.”
“嗯,我觉得——我不是说希望——我觉得这个有利的机会永远不会出现。”

“Why not?”
“为什么呢?”

“Because Captain Nemo cannot hide from himself that we have not given up all hope of regaining our liberty, and he will be on his guard, above all, in the seas and in the sight of European coasts.”
“因为尼莫船长明白我们并没有放弃重获自由的希望,他将特别警惕,在海上和欧洲海岸附近最为警惕。”

“We shall see,” replied Ned Land, shaking his head determinedly.
“我们会看到的,”尼德·兰坚定地摇了摇头。

“And now, Ned Land,” I added, “let us stop here. Not another word on the subject.
“现在,尼德·兰,”我补充道,“我们先到这里。关于这个问题,不要再说了。” —

The day that you are ready, come and let us know, and we will follow you. I rely entirely upon you.”
“当你准备好了,过来告诉我们,我们会跟随你的。我完全依赖你。”

Thus ended a conversation which, at no very distant time, led to such grave results.
这场对话结束了,而不久之后,却引发了如此严重的后果。 —

I must say here that facts seemed to confirm my foresight, to the Canadian’s great despair.
我必须在这里声明,事实似乎证实了我的预见,这对加拿大人来说十分失望。 —

Did Captain Nemo distrust us in these frequented seas?
尼莫船长是否对这些繁忙的海域对我们不信任? —

or did he only wish to hide himself from the numerous vessels, of all nations, which ploughed the Mediterranean?
或者他只是想在地中海上行驶的各国船只中隐藏自己?我无法确定; —

I could not tell;

but we were oftener between waters and far from the coast.
但我们更经常是在水域之间,远离海岸。或者, —

Or, if the Nautilus did emerge, nothing was to be seen but the pilot’s cage;
如果“鹦鹉螺号”冒出水面,除了驾驶舱什么也看不到; —

and sometimes it went to great depths, for, between the Grecian Archipelago and Asia Minor we could not touch the bottom by more than a thousand fathoms.
有时候下潜到很大深度,在希腊群岛和小亚细亚之间,我们的探针都无法触及海底一千英寻之下。

Thus I only knew we were near the Island of Carpathos, one of the Sporades, by Captain Nemo reciting these lines from Virgil:
因此,我只知道我们接近卡帕罗斯岛,这是斯波拉德斯群岛中的一座岛屿,因为尼莫船长在巴吞鲁日指着天空图对我朗诵了维吉尔的这几句诗:

“Est Carpathio Neptuni gurgite vates, Caeruleus Proteus,”
“Est Carpathio Neptuni gurgite vates, Caeruleus Proteus,”

as he pointed to a spot on the planisphere.
他一边指着天空图的一处,一边说道。

It was indeed the ancient abode of Proteus, the old shepherd of Neptune’s flocks, now the Island of Scarpanto, situated between Rhodes and Crete. I saw nothing but the granite base through the glass panels of the saloon.
在玻璃窗上,我只能看到花岗岩基座。

The next day, the 14th of February, I resolved to employ some hours in studying the fishes of the Archipelago;
第二天,也就是2月14日,我决定利用几个小时来研究希腊群岛的鱼类; —

but for some reason or other the panels remained hermetically sealed.
但由于某种原因,窗户始终被密封着。 —

Upon taking the course of the Nautilus, I found that we were going towards Candia, the ancient Isle of Crete. At the time I embarked on the Abraham Lincoln, the whole of this island had risen in insurrection against the despotism of the Turks. But how the insurgents had fared since that time I was absolutely ignorant, and it was not Captain Nemo, deprived of all land communications, who could tell me.
当我参加“鹦鹉螺号”的航行时,我发现我们正朝着远古的克里特岛前进。那时候,整个岛屿都起来反抗土耳其的专制统治。但是我对反抗者自那时以来的遭遇毫不了解,无法向与陆地失去联系的尼摩船长打听到任何消息。

I made no allusion to this event when that night I found myself alone with him in the saloon.
当那天晚上我独自与他在船舱里时,我没有提及这件事。此外, —

Besides, he seemed to be taciturn and preoccupied.
他似乎沉默寡言,心事重重。 —

Then, contrary to his custom, he ordered both panels to be opened, and, going from one to the other, observed the mass of waters attentively.
然后,与以往不同,他命令打开两扇舱口,来回走动,专注地观察着大片的水域。 —

To what end I could not guess; so, on my side, I employed my time in studying the fish passing before my eyes.
我无法猜测他的目的是什么,所以我就借机观察眼前经过的鱼群。

In the midst of the waters a man appeared, a diver, carrying at his belt a leathern purse.
在水中间,出现了一个人,一个潜水员,腰间挂着一个皮革袋子。 —

It was not a body abandoned to the waves;
这不是一个被扔进海里的尸体。 —

it was a living man, swimming with a strong hand, disappearing occasionally to take breath at the surface.
那是一个活着的人,用力地游动着,偶尔消失在水面上呼吸。

I turned towards Captain Nemo, and in an agitated voice exclaimed:
我转向尼摩船长,用激动的声音喊道:

“A man shipwrecked! He must be saved at any price!”
“一个人被船只搁浅了!无论如何都要救他!”

[Illustration] “A man! A shipwrecked sailor!” I cried
[插图] “一个人!一个被船只搁浅的水手!”我喊道。

The Captain did not answer me, but came and leaned against the panel.
船长没有回答我,而是走过来靠在壁板上。

The man had approached, and, with his face flattened against the glass, was looking at us.
这个人已经走近了,脸贴在玻璃上,看着我们。

To my great amazement, Captain Nemo signed to him.
令我大为惊讶的是, —

The diver answered with his hand, mounted immediately to the surface of the water, and did not appear again.
尼摩船长朝他示意。潜水员用手回答,立刻升到水面,再也没有出现。

“Do not be uncomfortable, ” said Captain Nemo. “It is Nicholas of Cape Matapan, surnamed Pesca. He is well known in all the Cyclades.
“不必不自在,” 尼摩船长说道。”这是露面黎凡,也被称为’渔夫’。他在希腊各个群岛都很有名。 —

A bold diver! water is his element, and he lives more in it than on land, going continually from one island to another, even as far as Crete.”
他是一个勇敢的潜水员!水是他的元素,他比在陆地上更多地生活于水中,不断地从一个岛屿到另一个岛屿,甚至远至克里特岛。”

“You know him, Captain?”
“你认识他,船长?”

“Why not, M. Aronnax?”
“为什么不呢,阿罗纳克斯先生?”

Saying which, Captain Nemo went towards a piece of furniture standing near the left panel of the saloon.
说到这里,“尼莫船长朝着靠近大厅左侧面板的一件家具走去。 —

Near this piece of furniture, I saw a chest bound with iron, on the cover of which was a copper plate, bearing the cypher of the Nautilus with its device.
在这件家具旁边,我看到一个用铁链捆绑的箱子,盖子上有一个铜牌,上面刻有“鹦鹉螺号”的暗号和标志。

At that moment, the Captain, without noticing my presence, opened the piece of furniture, a sort of strong box, which held a great many ingots.
就在那时,船长没有注意到我的存在,他打开了这个家具,一个类似保险箱的东西,里面装满了许多金锭。

They were ingots of gold.
它们都是金锭。 —

From whence came this precious metal, which represented an enormous sum?
这些珍贵的金属是从哪里来的,价值巨大。 —

Where did the Captain gather this gold from?
船长从哪里获得这些黄金? —

and what was he going to do with it?
他打算拿这些金子做什么?

I did not say one word. I looked.
我没有说一句话。我静静地看着。 —

Captain Nemo took the ingots one by one, and arranged them methodically in the chest, which he filled entirely.
尼莫船长一个一个地拿起金锭,有条不紊地放入箱子里,直到装满为止。 —

I estimated the contents at more than 4,000 lbs.
我估计里面的内容超过4000磅的黄金重量, —

weight of gold, that is to say, nearly £200,000.
也就是近20万英镑。

The chest was securely fastened, and the Captain wrote an address on the lid, in characters which must have belonged to Modern Greece.
箱子被牢牢地锁住,船长在盖子上写下了一个地址,那些字符似乎属于现代的希腊语。

This done, Captain Nemo pressed a knob, the wire of which communicated with the quarters of the crew.
这样做后,尼莫船长按下了一个钮,与船员室相连的电线也被打通了。 —

Four men appeared, and, not without some trouble, pushed the chest out of the saloon.
四个人出现了,并费了一些力气,将箱子推出了客厅。 —

Then I heard them hoisting it up the iron staircase by means of pulleys.
然后,我听见他们利用滑轮把它顺着铁梯提了上去。

At that moment, Captain Nemo turned to me.
就在那时,尼莫船长转向我。

“And you were saying, sir?” said he.
“你刚才在说什么,先生?”他说道。

“I was saying nothing, Captain.”
“我什么都没说,船长。”

“Then, sir, if you will allow me, I will wish you good night.”
“那么,先生,如果你允许的话,我要说晚安了。”

Whereupon he turned and left the saloon.
说完他转身离开了客厅。

I returned to my room much troubled, as one may believe.
我回到房间里,心烦意乱,可以想象。 —

I vainly tried to sleep—I sought the connecting link between the apparition of the diver and the chest filled with gold.
我徒劳地试图入睡,我试图找到潜水员的出现与装满金子的箱子之间的联系。 —

Soon, I felt by certain movements of pitching and tossing that the Nautilus was leaving the depths and returning to the surface.
不久之后,我感觉到一些明显的上下摇晃,说明“鹦鹉螺”正在离开深海,返回水面。

Then I heard steps upon the platform;
然后我听见有脚步声传到甲板上, —

and I knew they were unfastening the pinnace and launching it upon the waves.
我知道他们正在解开小船并将其扔进波浪中。瞬间, —

For one instant it struck the side of the Nautilus, then all noise ceased.
它撞到了“鹦鹉螺”的一侧,然后一切声音都停止了。

Two hours after, the same noise, the same going and coming was renewed;
两个小时之后,相同的噪音,相同的来来往往重新出现; —

the boat was hoisted on board, replaced in its socket, and the Nautilus again plunged under the waves.
船被吊装上船,放回插座,摩擦鱼雷艇再次潜入波浪之中;

So these millions had been transported to their address.
所以这些百万美元已经被运送到了它们的目的地。 —

To what point of the continent?
是大陆的哪个地方? —

Who was Captain Nemo’s correspondent?
南斯科特船长的通信联系人是谁?

The next day I related to Conseil and the Canadian the events of the night, which had excited my curiosity to the highest degree.
第二天,我向康塞尔和加拿大人讲述了昨晚的事件,这让我极度好奇。 —

My companions were not less surprised than myself.
我的同伴们跟我一样感到惊讶。

“But where does he take his millions to?
“但是他把这些百万美元带到哪里去了? —

” asked Ned Land.
”尼德·兰德问道。

To that there was no possible answer.
对此没有可能的回答。 —

I returned to the saloon after having breakfast and set to work.
我吃过早饭后回到沙龙,并开始工作。 —

Till five o’clock in the evening I employed myself in arranging my notes.
直到下午五点,我一直在整理我的笔记。 —

At that moment—(ought I to attribute it to some peculiar idiosyncrasy)—I felt so great a heat that I was obliged to take off my coat.
就在那一刻——(我是否应该归因于某种特殊的个人体质),我的身体感到如此炙热,以至于我不得不脱掉外套。 —

It was strange, for we were under low latitudes;
这很奇怪,因为我们处在低纬度下; —

and even then the Nautilus, submerged as it was, ought to experience no change of temperature.
即便是深潜的”鹦鹉螺”号,也不应该会感受到温度的变化。 —

I looked at the manometer; it showed a depth of sixty feet, to which atmospheric heat could never attain.
我看了看气压计,显示深度已经达到了六十英尺,那里已经无法受到大气热量的影响。

I continued my work, but the temperature rose to such a pitch as to be intolerable.
我继续工作,但温度升得难以忍受。

“Could there be fire on board?” I asked myself.
“船上会着火吗?”我自问道。

I was leaving the saloon, when Captain Nemo entered;
我正要离开客厅,船长尼摩走了进来; —

he approached the thermometer, consulted it, and, turning to me, said:
他走到温度计前,查看了一下,然后转向我说道:

“Forty-two degrees.”
“四十二度。”

“I have noticed it, Captain,” I replied;
“我已经注意到了,船长, —

“and if it gets much hotter we cannot bear it.”
如果温度再上升我们将受不了了。”

“Oh, sir, it will not get better if we do not wish it.”
“哦,先生,如果我们不愿意,情况是不会变好的。”

“You can reduce it as you please, then?”
“那你可以降低温度吗?”

“No; but I can go farther from the stove which produces it.”
“不,但我可以离开产热的火炉更远一些。”

“It is outward, then!”
“那它是外面的温度吗?”

“Certainly; we are floating in a current of boiling water.”
“当然了,我们正浮在一股热水流中。”

“Is it possible!” I exclaimed.
“真的吗!”我惊叫道。

“Look.”
“看吧。”

The panels opened, and I saw the sea entirely white all round.
面板打开了,我看到周围的海水全都变成了白色。 —

A sulphurous smoke was curling amid the waves, which boiled like water in a copper.
硫磺烟在波浪间卷曲起来,海水就像在铜器里翻滚。 —

I placed my hand on one of the panes of glass, but the heat was so great that I quickly took it off again.
我把手放在玻璃窗上,但热量太大了,我很快又把手拿开了。

“Where are we?” I asked.
“我们在哪里?”我问道。

“Near the Island of Santorin, sir,” replied the Captain.
“在圣托里尼岛附近,先生,”船长回答道。 —

“I wished to give you a sight of the curious spectacle of a submarine eruption.”
“我希望能让您看到海底火山喷发的奇特景象。”

“I thought,” said I, “that the formation of these new islands was ended.”
“我以为这些新岛屿的形成已经结束了。”我说道。

“Nothing is ever ended in the volcanic parts of the sea, ” replied Captain Nemo;
“在海洋的火山区,永远都没有什么事情结束,”尼摩船长回答道。 —

“and the globe is always being worked by subterranean fires.
“地球一直受到地下火山的作用。” —

Already, in the nineteenth year of our era, according to Cassiodorus and Pliny, a new island, Theia (the divine), appeared in the very place where these islets have recently been formed.
根据卡西奥多鲁斯和普林尼的记载,我们公元19年时,恰好在这些岛屿最近形成的地方,出现了一个新的岛屿,名叫帝亚(神圣)。 —

Then they sank under the waves, to rise again in the year 69, when they again subsided.
然后它们沉入海底,直到公元69年再次浮出水面,之后又再次沉没。 —

Since that time to our days the Plutonian work has been suspended.
从那时起到现在,冥王的工作就停止了。 —

But on the 3rd of February, 1866, a new island, which they named George Island, emerged from the midst of the sulphurous vapour near Nea Kamenni, and settled again the 6th of the same month.
但在1866年2月3日,一座新的岛屿从尼亚卡门尼附近的硫磺烟雾中升起,他们将其命名为乔治岛,并在同月6日定居下来。 —

Seven days after, the 13th of February, the Island of Aphroessa appeared, leaving between Nea Kamenni and itself a canal ten yards broad.
七天后,2月13日,阿弗罗萨岛出现了,留下尼亚卡门尼和自身之间的一个宽10码的运河。 —

I was in these seas when the phenomenon occurred, and I was able therefore to observe all the different phases.
当这一现象发生时,我正身处这片海域,因此能够观察到所有不同的阶段。 —

The Island of Aphroessa, of round form, measured 300 feet in diameter, and 30 feet in height.
阿弗罗萨岛是圆形的,直径约为300英尺,高约为30英尺。 —

It was composed of black and vitreous lava, mixed with fragments of felspar.
它由黑色和玻璃质熔岩以及长石碎片组成。 —

And lastly, on the 10th of March, a smaller island, called Reka, showed itself near Nea Kamenni, and since then these three have joined together, forming but one and the same island.”
最后,在3月10日,一座较小的叫做雷卡的岛屿出现在尼亚卡门尼附近,从那时起,这三个岛屿合并在一起,形成了同一个岛屿。”

“And the canal in which we are at this moment?” I asked.
“那么我们现在所处的运河呢?”我问道。

“Here it is,” replied Captain Nemo, showing me a map of the Archipelago.
“就在这里,”尼莫船长回答道,同时向我展示了一张群岛地图。“你看, —

“You see, I have marked the new islands.”
我已经标出了这些新的岛屿。”

I returned to the glass. The Nautilus was no longer moving, the heat was becoming unbearable.
我回到了玻璃面前。鲨鱼号不再前进,炎热让人难以忍受。 —

The sea, which till now had been white, was red, owing to the presence of salts of iron.
海水原本是白色的,但由于铁盐的存在,现在变成了红色。 —

In spite of the ship’s being hermetically sealed, an insupportable smell of sulphur filled the saloon, and the brilliancy of the electricity was entirely extinguished by bright scarlet flames.
尽管船舱是密闭的,但硫磺的难闻气味弥漫在船舱内,电灯的亮光也被鲜红的火焰彻底熄灭了。 —

I was in a bath, I was choking, I was broiled.
我就像身处一个浴缸中,窒息、烤熟着。

“We can remain no longer in this boiling water, ” said I to the Captain.
我对船长说:“我们不能再在这滚烫的水里待下去了。”

“It would not be prudent, ” replied the impassive Captain Nemo.
冷静的尼摩船长回答道:“这样做是不明智的。”

An order was given; the Nautilus tacked about and left the furnace it could not brave with impunity.
他下达了命令,鲨鱼号改变航向,离开了无法冒险的火炉。 —

A quarter of an hour after we were breathing fresh air on the surface.
一刻钟后,我们在表面呼吸到了新鲜空气。 —

The thought then struck me that, if Ned Land had chosen this part of the sea for our flight, we should never have come alive out of this sea of fire.
那时候我想到,如果是尼德·兰德选择了这片海域作为我们的逃离之地,我们可能就无法活着离开这片火海了。

The next day, the 16th of February, we left the basin which, between Rhodes and Alexandria, is reckoned about 1, 500 fathoms in depth, and the Nautilus, passing some distance from Cerigo, quitted the Grecian Archipelago after having doubled Cape Matapan.
第二天,也就是2月16号,我们离开了在罗德斯和亚历山大之间被认为有1500英寻深度的盆地,并且海豚号在离开塞里戈岛有一段距离后,绕过了马塔潘角,离开了希腊群岛。