We looked at the edge of the forest without rising, my hand stopping in the action of putting it to my mouth, Ned Land’s completing its office.
我们凝视着森林的边缘,没有站起来,我的手停在将它放在我的嘴边的动作上,而尼德·兰德则完成了这个动作。

“Stones do not fall from the sky,” remarked Conseil, “or they would merit the name aerolites.”
“石头不会从天上掉下来,”康塞耶尔说道,“否则它们应当被称为陨石。”

A second stone, carefully aimed, that made a savoury pigeon’s leg fall from Conseil’s hand, gave still more weight to his observation.
第二块石头被准确地投掷出来,使得康塞耶尔手上的一块美味的鸽子腿掉了下来,进一步证实了他的观察。 —

We all three arose, shouldered our guns, and were ready to reply to any attack.
我们三人站起来,扛起枪,随时准备应对任何攻击。

“Are they apes?” cried Ned Land.
“它们是猿猴吗?”尼德·兰德喊道。

“Very nearly—they are savages.”
“非常接近——它们是野蛮人。”

“To the boat!” I said, hurrying to the sea.
“去船上!”我说着,急忙向海边走去。

It was indeed necessary to beat a retreat, for about twenty natives armed with bows and slings appeared on the skirts of a copse that masked the horizon to the right, hardly a hundred steps from us.
确实有必要撤退,因为大约二十名持弓箭和投石索的土著人出现在我们右侧遮住地平线的树丛边缘,距离我们只有几步之遥。

Our boat was moored about sixty feet from us.
我们的船停泊在我们大约六十英尺之外。 —

The savages approached us, not running, but making hostile demonstrations.
土著人靠近我们,没有奔跑,但是他们表现出敌意。 —

Stones and arrows fell thickly.
石头和箭矢密集地落下。

Ned Land had not wished to leave his provisions; and, in spite of his imminent danger, his pig on one side and kangaroos on the other, he went tolerably fast.
尼德·兰德并不希望离开他的食物;尽管面临着即将到来的危险,他一边是他的猪,一边是袋鼠,却走得相当快。 —

In two minutes we were on the shore.
两分钟后我们就到了岸边。 —

To load the boat with provisions and arms, to push it out to sea, and ship the oars, was the work of an instant.
装载船上的食物和武器,将船推向海上并且划起桨,这些都是瞬间的事情。 —

We had not gone two cable-lengths, when a hundred savages, howling and gesticulating, entered the water up to their waists.
我们刚划出去两个海里,就看到一百名野蛮人尖叫着、挥舞着手臂,到达了大腿深处的水面。 —

I watched to see if their apparition would attract some men from the Nautilus on to the platform.
我留心观察着,看看他们的出现是否会吸引一些人从“鹦鹉螺”号上来到平台上。 —

But no. The enormous machine, lying off, was absolutely deserted.
但是没有。那台庞大的机器完全空无一人。

Twenty minutes later we were on board. The panels were open.
二十分钟后我们回到了船上。舱门是敞开的。 —

After making the boat fast, we entered into the interior of the Nautilus.
把船系好后,我们进入了“鹦鹉螺”号的内部。

I descended to the drawing-room, from whence I heard some chords. Captain Nemo was there, bending over his organ, and plunged in a musical ecstasy.
我下到起居室,听到了一些和弦声。尼莫船长正在那里,俯身弹奏着他的风琴,陶醉在音乐中。

“Captain!”
“船长!”

He did not hear me.
他没有听到我。

“Captain!” I said, touching his hand.
“船长!”我碰了碰他的手。

He shuddered, and, turning round, said, “Ah! it is you, Professor? Well, have you had a good hunt, have you botanised successfully?”
他颤抖了一下,转过身来说,“啊!是你,教授?那么,你狩猎得好吗,植物研究成功了吗?”

“Yes Captain; but we have unfortunately brought a troop of bipeds, whose vicinity troubles me.”
“是的,船长;但不幸的是,我们带来了一群两足动物,他们的临近让我烦恼。”

“What bipeds?”
“是什么样的两足动物?”

“Savages.”
“野蛮人。”

“Savages!” he echoed, ironically.
“野蛮人!”他反讽地重复道。 —

“So you are astonished, Professor, at having set foot on a strange land and finding savages?
“所以,教授,你对踏上陌生土地并发现野蛮人感到惊讶吗? —

Savages! where are there not any? Besides, are they worse than others, these whom you call savages?”
野蛮人!哪里没有野蛮人?而且,他们比其他人更坏吗,你所称之为野蛮人的人?”

“But Captain——”
“但是,船长——”

“How many have you counted?”
“你数过多少人?”

“A hundred at least.”
“至少有一百人。”

“M. Aronnax,” replied Captain Nemo, placing his fingers on the organ stops, “when all the natives of Papua are assembled on this shore, the Nautilus will have nothing to fear from their attacks.”
“阿罗纳克斯先生,”纳摩船长回答道,把手指放在机械风琴上,“当巴布亚的所有居民聚集在这片海岸上时,‘鹦鹉螺号’将不会担心他们的攻击。”

The Captain’s fingers were then running over the keys of the instrument, and I remarked that he touched only the black keys, which gave his melodies an essentially Scotch character.
船长的手指接着漫过了乐器的键盘,我注意到他只触碰黑键,这让他的旋律具有典型的苏格兰风格。 —

Soon he had forgotten my presence, and had plunged into a reverie that I did not disturb. I went up again on to the platform:
很快他便忘了我的存在,陷入了我不去打扰的沉思。我再次走上了平台: —

night had already fallen; for, in this low latitude, the sun sets rapidly and without twilight.
夜已经降临,因为在这个低纬度上,太阳迅速落下,没有夜幕降临的过渡。 —

I could only see the island indistinctly;
我只能模糊地看到那个岛; —

but the numerous fires, lighted on the beach, showed that the natives did not think of leaving it.
但是岛上点燃的众多篝火表明当地居民没有离开的打算。 —

I was alone for several hours, sometimes thinking of the natives—but without any dread of them, for the imperturbable confidence of the Captain was catching—sometimes forgetting them to admire the splendours of the night in the tropics.
我一个人独自度过了几个小时,有时会想到那些土著居民,但没有对他们感到害怕,因为船长那种泰然自若的信心是让人感染的;有时会忘记他们,去欣赏热带夜晚的辉煌。 —

My remembrances went to France in the train of those zodiacal stars that would shine in some hours’ time.
我的回忆伴随着那些彗星般的星星,飞向了法国,那些星星几个小时后将会在那里闪耀。 —

The moon shone in the midst of the constellations of the zenith.
月亮照耀在天顶的星座中间。

The night slipped away without any mischance, the islanders frightened no doubt at the sight of a monster aground in the bay.
这个晚上平静地过去了,岛民们肯定被湾里搁浅的怪物吓坏了。 —

The panels were open, and would have offered an easy access to the interior of the Nautilus.
面板敞开,可以方便地进入《鹦鹉螺号》内部。

At six o’clock in the morning of the 8th January I went up on to the platform.
一月八日早上六点,我走上平台。 —

The dawn was breaking.
黎明即将到来。 —

The island soon showed itself through the dissipating fogs, first the shore, then the summits.
雾气逐渐散去后,岛屿很快显露出来,首先是海岸线,然后是山峰。

The natives were there, more numerous than on the day before—five or six hundred perhaps—some of them, profiting by the low water, had come on to the coral, at less than two cable-lengths from the Nautilus.
当地居民比前一天更多,可能有五六百人,其中一些利用低潮时上到珊瑚礁,离《鹦鹉螺号》不到两个缆绳的距离。 —

I distinguished them easily; they were true Papuans, with athletic figures, men of good race, large high foreheads, large, but not broad and flat, and white teeth.
我轻易地辨认出他们,他们是真正的巴布亚人,身材健壮,属于优秀的种族,额头高大,宽而不扁,牙齿洁白。 —

Their woolly hair, with a reddish tinge, showed off on their black shining bodies like those of the Nubians.
他们红色带有波浪的卷发在他们黑亮的身体上特别显眼,就像努比亚人的那样。 —

From the lobes of their ears, cut and distended, hung chaplets of bones. Most of these savages were naked.
从他们被割裂和拉长的耳垂上垂下各种骨制的颈饰。这些野蛮人中的大多数都是赤身裸体的。 —

Amongst them, I remarked some women, dressed from the hips to knees in quite a crinoline of herbs, that sustained a vegetable waistband.
其中的一些妇女引起了我的注意,从臀部到膝盖穿着带有一种草药的蓬蓬裙,以支撑起蔬菜腰带。 —

Some chiefs had ornamented their necks with a crescent and collars of glass beads, red and white;
一些首领用月亮和红白色玻璃珠装饰了他们的脖子。 —

nearly all were armed with bows, arrows, and shields and carried on their shoulders a sort of net containing those round stones which they cast from their slings with great skill.
几乎所有人都带着弓箭、盾牌,并且在肩上扛着一种装满圆石的网,他们可以用投石器高超的技巧投掷出去。 —

One of these chiefs, rather near to the Nautilus, examined it attentively.
其中一位靠近「鹦鹉螺号」的首领认真地检查着它。 —

He was, perhaps, a “mado” of high rank, for he was draped in a mat of banana-leaves, notched round the edges, and set off with brilliant colours.
他可能是个地位较高的“马多”,因为他的身上披着一层带有边缘缺口的香蕉叶草席,并且点缀着明亮的颜色。

I could easily have knocked down this native, who was within a short length;
我可以轻松地把这个靠近的土著击倒,因为他离我很近。 —

but I thought that it was better to wait for real hostile demonstrations.
但我认为最好还是等待真正的敌意表现。 —

Between Europeans and savages, it is proper for the Europeans to parry sharply, not to attack.
在欧洲人和野蛮人之间,欧洲人应该猛击对方,而不是主动攻击。

During low water the natives roamed about near the Nautilus, but were not troublesome;
退潮时,土著人在「鹦鹉螺号」附近游荡,但没有给我们带来麻烦。 —

I heard them frequently repeat the word “Assai, ” and by their gestures I understood that they invited me to go on land, an invitation that I declined.
我听他们频繁重复着“Assai”这个词,并通过他们的手势明白他们邀请我上岸,而我却婉拒了这个邀请。

So that, on that day, the boat did not push off, to the great displeasure of Master Land, who could not complete his provisions.
因此,那天船没能出发,这让兰德船长非常不悦,因为他没能补充到所需的物资。

This adroit Canadian employed his time in preparing the viands and meat that he had brought off the island.
这位聪明的加拿大人利用时间准备了他从岛上带来的食物和肉类。 —

As for the savages, they returned to the shore about eleven o’clock in the morning, as soon as the coral tops began to disappear under the rising tide;
至于那些野蛮人,当珊瑚礁顶部开始消失在涨潮中时,他们在上午11点左右回到岸上。 —

but I saw their numbers had increased considerably on the shore.
但我看到他们的人数在岸上大幅增加。 —

Probably they came from the neighbouring islands, or very likely from Papua. However, I had not seen a single native canoe.
他们可能来自附近的岛屿,或者很可能是来自巴布亚。然而,我没有看到一艘单独的土著独木舟。 —

Having nothing better to do, I thought of dragging these beautiful limpid waters, under which I saw a profusion of shells, zoophytes, and marine plants.
无事可做,我想探索这些美丽的清澈水域,我看到了很多贝壳、虫珊瑚和海洋植物。 —

Moreover, it was the last day that the Nautilus would pass in these parts, if it float in open sea the next day, according to Captain Nemo’s promise.
此外,根据尼摩船长的承诺,这是《鹦鹉螺号》在这里经过的最后一天,如果第二天它在开放的海上航行。

I therefore called Conseil, who brought me a little light drag, very like those for the oyster fishery.
因此,我叫来了康塞埃,他给我拿来了一个很像捕捞牡蛎的小拖网。现在开始工作! —

Now to work!

For two hours we fished unceasingly, but without bringing up any rarities.
我们不停地垂钓了两个小时,但却没有钓到任何稀有物种。 —

The drag was filled with midas-ears, harps, melames, and particularly the most beautiful hammers I have ever seen.
这次拖网得到的是供品螺、竖琴螺、浅螺和特别漂亮的锤头螺。 —

We also brought up some sea-slugs, pearl-oysters, and a dozen little turtles that were reserved for the pantry on board.
我们还钓到了一些海蛞蝓、珍珠贝和一打小海龟,这些都是留给船上餐厨的。

But just when I expected it least, I put my hand on a wonder, I might say a natural deformity, very rarely met with.
但就在我最不期望的时候,我碰到了一个奇迹,可以说是一种很少见到的自然变形。 —

Conseil was just dragging, and his net came up filled with divers ordinary shells, when, all at once, he saw me plunge my arm quickly into the net, to draw out a shell, and heard me utter a cry.
正当康塞埃在拖网时,他的网里装满了各种普通的贝壳,突然之间,他看见我迅速把手伸进网中,取出一个贝壳,并听见我发出一声喊叫。

“What is the matter, sir?
“怎么了,先生?” —

” he asked in surprise.
他惊讶地问道,” —

“Has master been bitten?”
被咬到了吗?”

“No, my boy; but I would willingly have given a finger for my discovery.”
“不,我的孩子;但我愿意为了我的发现而舍弃一根手指。”

“What discovery?”
“什么发现?”

“This shell,” I said, holding up the object of my triumph.
“就是这个贝壳,”我说着,举起了我胜利的目标。

“It is simply an olive porphyry, genus olive, order of the pectinibranchidæ, class of gasteropods, sub-class mollusca.”
“这只是一个橄榄石贝壳,属于橄榄石属,扁腮目,腹足纲,软体动物亚纲。”

“Yes, Conseil; but, instead of being rolled from right to left, this olive turns from left to right.”
“是的,康塞尔;但是,与其从右向左旋转,这个橄榄石从左向右旋转。”

“Is it possible?”
“这真的可能吗?”

“Yes, my boy; it is a left shell.”
“是的,我的孩子;这是一只左侧的贝壳。”

Shells are all right-handed, with rare exceptions; and, when by chance their spiral is left, amateurs are ready to pay their weight in gold.
正常情况下,贝壳都是右旋的,只有少数例外;而当它们的螺旋恰巧是左旋时,收藏家们愿意掏出重金购买。

Conseil and I were absorbed in the contemplation of our treasure, and I was promising myself to enrich the museum with it, when a stone unfortunately thrown by a native struck against, and broke, the precious object in Conseil’s hand.
康塞尔和我都被我们的财富所吸引,我正打算把它充实博物馆,这时一个不幸的原住民扔来的一块石头击中并打碎了康塞尔手中珍贵的贝壳。 —

I uttered a cry of despair! Conseil took up his gun, and aimed at a savage who was poising his sling at ten yards from him.
我发出了绝望的呼喊!康塞尔拿起他的枪,瞄准了一个距离他十码处挥舞着弹弓的野蛮人。 —

I would have stopped him, but his blow took effect and broke the bracelet of amulets which encircled the arm of the savage.
我本来会阻止他的,但他的一击生效了,打破了环绕在野蛮人手臂上的护身符手镯。

[Illustration] Conseil seized his gun
【插图】康斯艾尔抓住了他的枪。

“Conseil!” cried I. “Conseil!”
“康斯艾尔!我大喊道。“康斯艾尔!”

“Well, sir! do you not see that the cannibal has commenced the attack?”
“先生!难道您没有看到那个野蛮人已经发起攻击了吗?”

“A shell is not worth the life of a man,” said I.
“一颗炮弹并不值得一个人的生命,”我说。

“Ah! the scoundrel!” cried Conseil;
“啊!混蛋!”康斯艾尔喊道。 —

“I would rather he had broken my shoulder!”
“我宁愿他打断我的肩膀!”

Conseil was in earnest, but I was not of his opinion.
康斯艾尔是认真的,但我不同意他的观点。 —

However, the situation had changed some minutes before, and we had not perceived.
然而,几分钟前情况已经发生改变,我们并没有察觉到。 —

A score of canoes surrounded the Nautilus. These canoes, scooped out of the trunk of a tree, long, narrow, well adapted for speed, were balanced by means of a long bamboo pole, which floated on the water.
20艘独木舟围绕着鹦鹉螺号。这些独木舟是从树干上挖出来的,又长又窄,非常适合快速航行,通过漂浮在水面上的一根长竹竿保持平衡。 —

They were managed by skilful, half-naked paddlers, and I watched their advance with some uneasiness.
它们由熟练的半裸桨手操作,我有些不安地观察它们的靠近。 —

It was evident that these Papuans had already had dealings with the Europeans and knew their ships.
显然这些巴布亚人已经与欧洲人有过交往,了解他们的船只。 —

But this long iron cylinder anchored in the bay, without masts or chimneys, what could they think of it?
然而,这个锚定在海湾中的长铁圆柱,没有桅杆或烟囱,他们会认为是什么呢? —

Nothing good, for at first they kept at a respectful distance.
什么好事也不会有,因为一开始他们保持着尊重的距离。 —

However, seeing it motionless, by degrees they took courage, and sought to familiarise themselves with it.
然而,看到它静止不动,他们逐渐鼓起了勇气,试图让自己熟悉它。 —

Now this familiarity was precisely what it was necessary to avoid.
而这种熟悉正是必须避免的。 —

Our arms, which were noiseless, could only produce a moderate effect on the savages, who have little respect for aught but blustering things.
我们的武器无声,对野蛮人的影响只能达到中等程度,他们只尊重嚣张的东西。 —

The thunderbolt without the reverberations of thunder would frighten man but little, though the danger lies in the lightning, not in the noise.
没有雷声的雷击对人类来说几乎没有什么可怕之处,危险在于闪电,而不是噪音。

At this moment the canoes approached the Nautilus, and a shower of arrows alighted on her.
就在这时,独木舟靠近了“鹦鹉螺号”,一阵箭雨落在她身上。

I went down to the saloon, but found no one there.
我下到了客厅,却没有找到任何一个人。 —

I ventured to knock at the door that opened into the Captain’s room.
我冒昧地敲敲通往船长房间的门。 —

“Come in,” was the answer.
“请进。”是答复。

I entered, and found Captain Nemo deep in algebraical calculations of x and other quantities.
我走了进去,发现尼莫船长在进行关于x和其他量的代数运算。

“I am disturbing you,” said I, for courtesy’s sake.
“为了礼貌,我打扰你了,”我说。

“That is true, M. Aronnax,” replied the Captain;
“是的,阿罗纳克斯先生,”船长回答道。 —

“but I think you have serious reasons for wishing to see me?”
“但我想你有相当重要的原因希望见我吧?”

“Very grave ones; the natives are surrounding us in their canoes, and in a few minutes we shall certainly be attacked by many hundreds of savages.”
“非常严重的原因;本地人正在他们的独木舟中包围我们,几分钟内我们肯定会被成百上千的野蛮人攻击。”

“Ah!” said Captain Nemo quietly, “they are come with their canoes?”
“啊!”船长纳摩平静地说,“他们带着他们的独木舟来了?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“Well, sir, we must close the hatches.”
“好吧,先生,我们必须关闭舱口。”

“Exactly, and I came to say to you——”
“确切地说,我来是为了告诉您——”

“Nothing can be more simple,” said Captain Nemo. And, pressing an electric button, he transmitted an order to the ship’s crew.
“没有比这更简单的了,”纳摩船长说。然后他按下一个电钮,向船员下达了一道命令。

“It is all done, sir,” said he, after some moments.
“已经完成了,先生,”过了一会儿,他说。 —

“The pinnace is ready, and the hatches are closed.
“小船已经准备好了,舱口已经关闭。” —

You do not fear, I imagine, that these gentlemen could stave in walls on which the balls of your frigate have had no effect?”
我猜您不会担心这些先生们能够损坏您的护航舰上连续射击无效的墙壁,是吗?

“No, Captain; but a danger still exists.”
“不,船长;但仍然存在着危险。”

“What is that, sir?”
“是什么,先生?”

“It is that to-morrow, at about this hour, we must open the hatches to renew the air of the Nautilus.
“明天大约这个时候,我们必须打开舷窗,让鲸鱼号的空气更新。” —

Now, if, at this moment, the Papuans should occupy the platform, I do not see how you could prevent them from entering.”
现在,如果巴布亚人此刻占据了平台,我不知道你怎么阻止他们进来。”

“Then, sir, you suppose that they will board us?”
“那么,先生,你认为他们会登上我们的船?”

“I am certain of it.”
“我确定会。”

“Well, sir, let them come.
“好吧,先生,让他们来吧。 —

I see no reason for hindering them.
我看不出来为什么要阻止他们。” —

After all, these Papuans are poor creatures, and I am unwilling that my visit to the island should cost the life of a single one of these wretches.”
毕竟,这些巴布亚人是可怜的生物,我不愿意我的访问给他们中的任何人带来生命的代价。”

Upon that I was going away;
听到这里,我要离开了。 —

But Captain Nemo detained me, and asked me to sit down by him.
但是尼摩船长拦住了我,并要求我坐在他旁边。 —

He questioned me with interest about our excursions on shore, and our hunting;
他对我们在岸上的探险和狩猎活动很感兴趣,询问了我一些问题。 —

and seemed not to understand the craving for meat that possessed the Canadian.
他似乎不理解加拿大人对肉食的渴望。 —

Then the conversation turned on various subjects, and, without being more communicative, Captain Nemo showed himself more amiable.
接着谈话转向了各种话题,虽然没有更加健谈,但尼摩船长变得更加友善。

Amongst other things, we happened to speak of the situation of the Nautilus, run aground in exactly the same spot in this strait where Dumont d’Urville was nearly lost.
除了其他事情之外,我们碰巧谈到了”鹦鹉螺号”搁浅在这个海峡的同一地点,这也是杜蒙·迪维尔几乎丧命的地方。 —

Apropos of this:
顺便说一下:

“This D’Urville was one of your great sailors, ” said the Captain to me, “one of your most intelligent navigators.
“这个迪维尔是你们伟大的航海家之一,”船长对我说,“你们最聪明的航海家之一。 —

He is the Captain Cook of you Frenchmen.
他是你们法国人的詹姆斯·库克。 —

Unfortunate man of science, after having braved the icebergs of the South Pole, the coral reefs of Oceania, the cannibals of the Pacific, to perish miserably in a railway train!
可怜的科学家,经历了南极的冰山、大洋洲的珊瑚礁、太平洋的食人族,最后却在一辆火车上悲惨地丧生! —

If this energetic man could have reflected during the last moments of his life, what must have been uppermost in his last thoughts, do you suppose?”
如果这个精力充沛的人在生命的最后时刻能够反思一下,你认为他的最后思绪中最重要的是什么?”

So speaking, Captain Nemo seemed moved, and his emotion gave me a better opinion of him.
船长尼莫说着,似乎动情了,他的情感让我对他的看法更好。 —

Then, chart in hand, we reviewed the travels of the French navigator, his voyages of circumnavigation, his double detention at the South Pole, which led to the discovery of Adelaide and Louis Philippe, and fixing the hydrographical bearings of the principal islands of Oceania.
然后手中拿着图表,我们回顾了法国航海家的旅行,他的环航航行,他在南极的双重囚禁,导致了阿德莱德和路易斯·菲利普群岛的发现,并确定了大洋洲的主要岛屿的水文方位。

“That which your D’Urville has done on the surface of the seas, ” said Captain Nemo, “that have I done under them, and more easily, more completely than he.
“你的杜尔维尔在海面上所作的事情,我在水下也做了,而且更容易、更完整。” —

The Astrolabe and the Zelee, incessantly tossed about by the hurricane, could not be worth the Nautilus, quiet repository of labour that she is, truly motionless in the midst of the waters.
由于飓风的不断摇荡,阿斯特罗拉贝号和泽勒号无法与安静而静止在海中的鹦鹉螺号相提并论。

“To-morrow,” added the Captain, rising, “to-morrow, at twenty minutes to three p.
“明天,”船长起身说道,“明天,下午两点三十分,鹦鹉螺号将浮出水面,离开托雷斯海峡而不受损害。” —

m., the Nautilus shall float, and leave the Strait of Torres uninjured.”
船长简短地说完这些话后,微微点了点头,表示让我离开,然后我回到了自己的房间。

Having curtly pronounced these words, Captain Nemo bowed slightly.
这相当于把我解雇了, —

This was to dismiss me, and I went back to my room.
我回到了自己的房间。

There I found Conseil, who wished to know the result of my interview with the Captain.
我在那里找到了康塞尔,他想知道我与船长的访谈结果。

“My boy,” said I, “when I feigned to believe that his Nautilus was threatened by the natives of Papua, the Captain answered me very sarcastically.
“孩子,”我说,“当我假装相信他的《鹦鹉螺号》受到巴布亚土著的威胁时,船长非常讽刺地回答我。 —

I have but one thing to say to you:
我只想对你说一件事: —

Have confidence in him, and go to sleep in peace.”
对他有信心,安心地睡觉。”

“Have you no need of my services, sir?”
“先生,您不需要我的服务吗?”

“No, my friend. What is Ned Land doing?”
“不需要,朋友。尼德·兰德在干什么?”

“If you will excuse me, sir,” answered Conseil, “friend Ned is busy making a kangaroo-pie which will be a marvel.”
“如果您允许我说,”康塞尔回答,“朋友尼德正在做一道了不起的袋鼠肉馅饼。”

I remained alone and went to bed, but slept indifferently.
我独自一人留下,上床睡觉,但睡得不安稳。 —

I heard the noise of the savages, who stamped on the platform, uttering deafening cries.
我听到土著的噪音,他们在平台上跺脚,发出震耳欲聋的喊声。 —

The night passed thus, without disturbing the ordinary repose of the crew.
夜晚就这样过去了,没有打扰到船员们的平常休息。 —

The presence of these cannibals affected them no more than the soldiers of a masked battery care for the ants that crawl over its front.
这些食人族的存在对他们的影响就像是一个蒙面炮群的士兵对爬在前方的蚂蚁那样漠不关心。

At six in the morning I rose.
早上六点钟我起床了。 —

The hatches had not been opened.
舱口还没有打开。 —

The inner air was not renewed, but the reservoirs, filled ready for any emergency, were now resorted to, and discharged several cubic feet of oxygen into the exhausted atmosphere of the Nautilus.
内部空气没有得到更新,但是预先填满以备紧急情况的储气罐现在被使用了,向已经耗尽的海底的空气中释放出几立方英尺的氧气。

I worked in my room till noon, without having seen Captain Nemo, even for an instant.
我在房间里工作到中午,一直没有看到尼莫船长,甚至一瞬间也没有。 —

On board no preparations for departure were visible.
在船上没有看到出发的准备。

I waited still some time, then went into the large saloon.
我又等了一段时间,然后进入了大沙龙。 —

The clock marked half-past two.
时钟显示是两点半。 —

In ten minutes it would be high-tide:
再过10分钟就是高潮: —

and, if Captain Nemo had not made a rash promise, the Nautilus would be immediately detached.
如果尼莫船长没有作出轻率的承诺,那么尼莫船长就会立即离开。 —

If not, many months would pass ere she could leave her bed of coral.
如果不是这样,几个月过去了才能离开她的珊瑚床。

However, some warning vibrations began to be felt in the vessel.
然而,船上开始感觉到一些警示性的震动。 —

I heard the keel grating against the rough calcareous bottom of the coral reef.
我听到龙骨与粗糙的珊瑚礁底部摩擦的声音。

At five-and-twenty minutes to three, Captain Nemo appeared in the saloon.
时间显示离三点还有二十五分钟,尼莫船长出现在沙龙里。

“We are going to start,” said he.
“我们要出发了,”他说。

“Ah!” replied I.
“啊!”我回答道。

“I have given the order to open the hatches.”
“我已经下令打开舱口。”

“And the Papuans?”
“那些巴布亚人呢?”

“The Papuans?” answered Captain Nemo, slightly shrugging his shoulders.
“巴布亚人?”纳摩船长回答道,微微耸了耸肩。

“Will they not come inside the Nautilus?
“他们不会进入鹦鹉螺号吗?”

“How?”
“他们怎么进?”

“Only by leaping over the hatches you have opened.”
“只需跃过你打开的舱盖。”

“M. Aronnax,” quietly answered Captain Nemo, “they will not enter the hatches of the Nautilus in that way, even if they were open.”
“阿纳克斯先生,”纳摩船长平静地回答道,“即使舱盖敞开,他们也不会通过那种方式进入鹦鹉螺号。”

I looked at the Captain.
我看着船长。

“You do not understand?” said he.
“你不明白?”他说道。

“Hardly.”
“几乎不明白。”

“Well, come and you will see.”
“那好,跟我来,你就明白了。”

I directed my steps towards the central staircase.
我朝着中央楼梯走去。在那里, —

There Ned Land and Conseil were slyly watching some of the ship’s crew, who were opening the hatches, while cries of rage and fearful vociferations resounded outside.
尼德·兰和康塞尔正在偷偷观察一些船员,他们正在打开舱盖,而外面则传来愤怒的呼声和惊恐的喧闹声。

The port lids were pulled down outside.
舱盖被拉下来了。 —

Twenty horrible faces appeared.
出现了二十张可怕的脸。 —

But the first native who placed his hand on the stair-rail, struck from behind by some invisible force, I know not what, fled, uttering the most fearful cries and making the wildest contortions.
但第一个将手搭在栏杆上的土著,在某种看不见的力量的击打下,我不知道是什么,惊恐地逃走了,发出最恐怖的呼喊和最疯狂的扭曲。

Ten of his companions followed him.
他的十个伙伴也遭到了同样的命运。 —

They met with the same fate.

Conseil was in ecstasy. Ned Land, carried away by his violent instincts, rushed on to the staircase.
Conseil陶醉不已。 Ned Land被他强烈的本能冲动席卷,冲上了楼梯。 —

But the moment he seized the rail with both hands, he, in his turn, was overthrown.
但他一把抓住栏杆的瞬间,也被推翻了。

“I am struck by a thunderbolt,” cried he, with an oath.
“我像被雷击中了一样!”他喊道,咒骂了起来。

This explained all. It was no rail;
这一切都可以解释了。 —

but a metallic cable charged with electricity from the deck communicating with the platform.
那不是栏杆,而是一根由甲板上带有电荷的金属电缆,与平台相通。 —

Whoever touched it felt a powerful shock—and this shock would have been mortal if Captain Nemo had discharged into the conductor the whole force of the current.
任何触碰到它的人都会感受到强烈的电击,如果纳摩船长向导线释放全部电流的话,这种电击将是致命的。 —

It might truly be said that between his assailants and himself he had stretched a network of electricity which none could pass with impunity.
可以说,在他与攻击者之间,他拉出了一张电网,没有人能够无碍通过。

Meanwhile, the exasperated Papuans had beaten a retreat paralysed with terror.
与此同时,愤怒的巴布亚人在恐惧中节节败退。 —

As for us, half laughing, we consoled and rubbed the unfortunate Ned Land, who swore like one possessed.
至于我们,一半是在笑,一半是安慰和摩擦不幸的Ned Land,他像着了魔一样咒骂不停。

But at this moment the Nautilus, raised by the last waves of the tide, quitted her coral bed exactly at the fortieth minute fixed by the Captain.
但此刻,由于潮汐的最后一波抬升,” 鹦鹉螺号”正好在船长设定的第四十分钟离开珊瑚床。 —

Her screw swept the waters slowly and majestically.
无声的螺旋桨缓缓地划过水面。 —

Her speed increased gradually, and, sailing on the surface of the ocean, she quitted safe and sound the dangerous passes of the Straits of Torres.
船速逐渐增加,” 鹦鹉螺号”在海洋表面航行,安全地离开了多雷斯海峡的危险通道。