How long we slept I do not know;
我们究竟睡了多久我不知道; —

but our sleep must have lasted long, for it rested us completely from our fatigues.
但我们的睡眠一定持续了很长时间,因为它完全恢复了我们的疲劳。 —

I woke first. My companions had not moved, and were still stretched in their corner.
我最先醒来。我的同伴们还没有动,仍然躺在他们的角落里。

Hardly roused from my somewhat hard couch, I felt my brain freed, my mind clear.
刚从我有点硬的沙发上醒来,我的大脑感到解放,思维清晰。 —

I then began an attentive examination of our cell.
我开始仔细检查我们的牢房。 —

Nothing was changed inside. The prison was still a prison, —the prisoners, prisoners. However, the steward, during our sleep, had cleared the table.
内部没有发生任何变化。这个监狱仍然是个监狱,囚犯们还是囚犯。然而,在我们睡觉时,管家已经把餐桌收拾干净了。 —

I breathed with difficulty.
我的呼吸困难。 —

The heavy air seemed to oppress my lungs.
沉重的空气似乎压迫着我的肺部。 —

Although the cell was large, we had evidently consumed a great part of the oxygen that it contained.
虽然牢房很大,但我们显然已经消耗了其中大部分含氧量。 —

Indeed, each man consumes, in one hour, the oxygen contained in more than 176 pints of air, and this air, charged (as then) with a nearly equal quantity of carbonic acid, becomes unbreathable.
事实上,每个人在一小时内消耗的氧气相当于超过176品脱的空气,而这种空气中几乎含有相等数量的二氧化碳,变得无法呼吸。

It became necessary to renew the atmosphere of our prison, and no doubt the whole in the submarine boat.
需要更新我们监狱的气氛,毫无疑问还有潜艇上的整个气氛。 —

That gave rise to a question in my mind.
这在我心中引发了一个问题。 —

How would the commander of this floating dwelling-place proceed?
这个浮动住所的指挥官会怎么做? —

Would he obtain air by chemical means, in getting by heat the oxygen contained in chlorate of potash, and in absorbing carbonic acid by caustic potash?
他会通过化学手段获得空气,通过加热盐酸钾中所含的氧气,并通过氢氧化钾吸收二氧化碳吗? —

Or, a more convenient, economical, and consequently more probable alternative, would he be satisfied to rise and take breath at the surface of the water, like a cetacean, and so renew for twenty-four hours the atmospheric provision?
或者,更方便、经济、因此更可能的选择是,他是否满足于像鲸鱼一样,在水面上升起并呼吸,从而为24小时更新一次大气供应?

In fact, I was already obliged to increase my respirations to eke out of this cell the little oxygen it contained, when suddenly I was refreshed by a current of pure air, and perfumed with saline emanations.
事实上,当我已经不得不增加呼吸以从这个房间获得它所含的少量氧气时,突然我被一股纯净的空气和带有盐分的蒸发物所提神。 —

It was an invigorating sea breeze, charged with iodine.
这是一股充满碘的令人振奋的海风。 —

I opened my mouth wide, and my lungs saturated themselves with fresh particles.
我张开嘴巴,我的肺睡醒了新鲜的粒子。

At the same time I felt the boat rolling.
与此同时,我感觉到船摇晃了起来。 —

The iron-plated monster had evidently just risen to the surface of the ocean to breathe, after the fashion of whales.
这只铁甲怪物显然刚刚上升到海面上呼吸,就像鲸鱼一样。 —

I found out from that the mode of ventilating the boat.
我从中了解到了通风船舱的方法。

When I had inhaled this air freely, I sought the conduit-pipe, which conveyed to us the beneficial whiff, and I was not long in finding it.
当我自由地吸进这股空气后,我寻找着给我们送来清新气息的导管管道,我很快就找到了它。 —

Above the door was a ventilator, through which volumes of fresh air renewed the impoverished atmosphere of the cell.
在门上方有一个通风口,通过它,新鲜空气使这个房间里贫乏的气氛得以更新。

I was making my observations, when Ned and Conseil awoke almost at the same time, under the influence of this reviving air.
就在我做观察时,尼德和康塞尔几乎同时醒来,在这股恢复活力的空气影响下。 —

They rubbed their eyes, stretched themselves, and were on their feet in an instant.
他们揉着眼睛,伸了伸懒腰,一瞬间就站了起来。

“Did master sleep well?
“大师睡得好吗? —

” asked Conseil, with his usual politeness.
”康塞尔像往常一样客气地问道。

“Very well, my brave boy. And you, Mr. Land?”
“睡得很好,我的勇敢小伙子。你呢,兰先生?”

“Soundly, Professor. But I don’t know if I am right or not;
“睡得很沉,教授。但我不知道是否正确, —

there seems to be a sea breeze!”
似乎有一股海风!”

A seaman could not be mistaken, and I told the Canadian all that had passed during his sleep.
一个水手不会搞错的,我把尼德沉睡期间发生的一切都告诉了这位加拿大人。

“Good!” said he; “that accounts for those roarings we heard, when the supposed narwhal sighted the Abraham Lincoln.”
“很好!”他说,“这解释了我们听到的那些咆哮声,当那个所谓的独角鲸发现了‘亚伯拉罕·林肯’号。”

“Quite so, Master Land; it was taking breath.”
“确实是这样,兰德先生;它正在呼吸。”

“Only, Mr. Aronnax, I have no idea what o’clock it is, unless it is dinner-time.”
“只是,阿洛纳克斯先生,我不知道现在是几点钟,除非已经到了吃饭的时间。”

“Dinner-time! my good fellow? Say rather breakfast-time, for we certainly have begun another day.”
“吃饭的时间!好啦,我的朋友?不如说是早餐时间,因为我们肯定已经开始了新的一天。”

“So,” said Conseil, “we have slept twenty-four hours?”
“这样说来,”康塞尔说,“我们已经睡了二十四个小时?”

“That is my opinion.”
“我是这么想的。”

“I will not contradict you, ” replied Ned Land. “But dinner or breakfast, the steward will be welcome, whichever he brings.”
“我不会反驳你的,”尼德兰说,“但是无论他拿来什么,管事员都是受欢迎的,无论是晚餐还是早餐。”

“Master Land, we must conform to the rules on board, and I suppose our appetites are in advance of the dinner hour.”
“主人兰德,我们必须遵守船上的规定,我想我们的胃口比就餐时间提前了。”

“That is just like you, friend Conseil,” said Ned, impatiently. “You are never out of temper, always calm;
“这就是你,朋友康塞尔,”尼德不耐烦地说。“你从不发脾气,总是冷静; —

you would return thanks before grace, and die of hunger rather than complain!”
你会在感恩前表达感谢,宁愿饿死也不会抱怨!”

Time was getting on, and we were fearfully hungry;
时间过得很快,我们非常饥饿; —

and this time the steward did not appear.
这次服务员却没有出现。 —

It was rather too long to leave us, if they really had good intentions towards us.
如果他们真的对我们怀有善意,那么这时间也太长了。 —

Ned Land, tormented by the cravings of hunger, got still more angry;
尼德·兰德因饥饿而烦恼,变得更加生气; —

and, notwithstanding his promise, I dreaded an explosion when he found himself with one of the crew.
尽管他答应过我,但我担心他在与其中一员碰面时,会发生爆炸。

For two hours more Ned Land’s temper increased; he cried, he shouted, but in vain. The walls were deaf.
两个小时过去了,尼德·兰的脾气越来越糟;他大喊大叫,但都是徒劳无果。 —

There was no sound to be heard in the boat:
船壁听不见任何声音: —

all was still as death. It did not move, for I should have felt the trembling motion of the hull under the influence of the screw.
一切都像死一般寂静。它没有移动,因为如果螺旋桨有运转,我应该会感觉到船体的微微震动。 —

Plunged in the depths of the waters, it belonged no longer to earth:
它深入水底,已经不再属于陆地——这份寂静令人可怕。 —

—this silence was dreadful.

I felt terrified, Conseil was calm, Ned Land roared.
我感到害怕,孔塞尔很冷静,尼德·兰在大吼大叫。

Just then a noise was heard outside.
就在这时,外面传来了声响。 —

Steps sounded on the metal flags. The locks were turned, the door opened, and the steward appeared.
有脚步声在金属地板上响起。锁被转动,门打开了,务员出现了。

Before I could rush forward to stop him, the Canadian had thrown him down, and held him by the throat.
在我还没能冲上前去阻止他之前,加拿大人已经把他摔倒在地,死死掐住他的脖子。 —

The steward was choking under the grip of his powerful hand.
这位务员在他有力的手掐住下呼吸困难。

Conseil was already trying to unclasp the harpooner’s hand from his half-suffocated victim, and I was going to fly to the rescue, when suddenly I was nailed to the spot by hearing these words in French—
孔塞尔已经试图解开这个半窒息的受害者被鱼叉手死死掐住的手,我也正要冲上去救援,突然我被这些法语的话语钉在了原地——

“Be quiet, Master Land; and you, Professor, will you be so good as to listen to me?”
“安静点,兰德先生;教授,您能听我说吗?”