On the 28th of February, when at noon the Nautilus came to the surface of the sea, in 9° 4′ N. lat.
2月28日中午,当鹦鹉螺号浮出海面,在北纬9° 4′,向西方八英里处可见一片陆地。我最先注意到的是一片约两千英尺高的山脉,其形状十分奇特。 —

, there was land in sight about eight miles to westward.
测定了方位后, —

The first thing I noticed was a range of mountains about two thousand feet high, the shapes of which were most capricious.
我知道我们正在接近锡兰岛,这颗挂在印度半岛上的珍珠。 —

On taking the bearings, I knew that we were nearing the island of Ceylon, the pearl which hangs from the lobe of the Indian Peninsula.
就在此时,尼摩船长和他的第二官员出现了。船长看了看地图,然后转向我说:

Captain Nemo and his second appeared at this moment.
“锡兰岛,以其珍珠渔场闻名。 —

The Captain glanced at the map.
阿里纳克斯先生, —

Then turning to me, said:
你想参观其中一个吗?”

“The Island of Ceylon, noted for its pearl-fisheries.
“当然, —

Would you like to visit one of them, M. Aronnax?”
船长。”

“Certainly, Captain.”
“好吧,这是很容易的。虽然,如果我们看到了渔场,我们可能看不到渔民。年度出口还没有开始。”

“Well, the thing is easy. Though, if we see the fisheries, we shall not see the fishermen.
“没关系,我会下令前往马纳尔湾,我们将在夜间到达那里。 —

The annual exportation has not yet begun.
” —

Never mind, I will give orders to make for the Gulf of Manaar, where we shall arrive in the night.”
船长对他的第二官员说了些什么,那人立即离开了。

The Captain said something to his second, who immediately went out.
Please refer to the translation above. —

Soon the Nautilus returned to her native element, and the manometer showed that she was about thirty feet deep.
不久之后,鹦鹉螺号返回了自己的故土,压力计显示她已经下潜了大约30英尺深。

“Well, sir,” said Captain Nemo, “you and your companions shall visit the Bank of Manaar, and if by chance some fisherman should be there, we shall see him at work.”
“好吧,先生,”尼莫船长说,“你和你的同伴将参观马纳尔银行,如果碰巧有一些渔民在那里,我们会看到他们工作。”

“Agreed, Captain!”
“同意,船长!”

“By the bye, M. Aronnax you are not afraid of sharks?”
“顺便问一下,阿罗纳克斯先生,你不怕鲨鱼吧?”

“Sharks!” exclaimed I.
“鲨鱼!”我惊呼道。

This question seemed a very hard one.
这个问题看起来很困难。

“Well?” continued Captain Nemo.
“那么?”尼莫船长继续说道。

“I admit, Captain, that I am not yet very familiar with that kind of fish.”
“船长,我承认我对那种鱼还不是很熟悉。”

“We are accustomed to them, ” replied Captain Nemo, “and in time you will be too.
“我们对它们习以为常,”尼莫船长回答道,“随着时间的推移,你也会习惯的。” —

However, we shall be armed, and on the road we may be able to hunt some of the tribe.
不过,我们会带上武器,在路上也许还能捕捉到一些这种鱼群。 —

It is interesting. So, till to-morrow, sir, and early.”
很有趣。所以,到明天,先生,早些时候。

This said in a careless tone, Captain Nemo left the saloon.
船长尼莫以漫不经心的口吻说完这句话后离开了饭厅。 —

Now, if you were invited to hunt the bear in the mountains of Switzerland, what would you say?
现在,如果你被邀请去瑞士山区打猎熊,你会说什么?

“Very well! to-morrow we will go and hunt the bear.
“好吧!明天我们将去猎熊。 —

” If you were asked to hunt the lion in the plains of Atlas, or the tiger in the Indian jungles, what would you say?
”如果你被要求在阿特拉斯平原猎狮,或者在印度丛林猎虎,你会说什么?

“Ha! ha! it seems we are going to hunt the tiger or the lion!
“哈哈!看来我们要猎虎或者狮子了! —

” But when you are invited to hunt the shark in its natural element, you would perhaps reflect before accepting the invitation.
“但是当你被邀请在它们的天然栖息地猎鲨鱼时,你或许会在接受邀请之前反思一下。 —

As for myself, I passed my hand over my forehead, on which stood large drops of cold perspiration.
至于我自己,我用手拍了拍额头上冒出的大滴冷汗。 —

“Let us reflect,” said I, “and take our time.
“让我们思考一下,不急于行动。 —

Hunting otters in submarine forests, as we did in the Island of Crespo, will pass;
就像我们在克雷斯波岛那样在水下森林里猎水獭,都会过去; —

but going up and down at the bottom of the sea, where one is almost certain to meet sharks, is quite another thing!
但是在海底上下穿梭,几乎肯定会遇到鲨鱼,那就完全不同了! —

I know well that in certain countries, particularly in the Andaman Islands, the negroes never hesitate to attack them with a dagger in one hand and a running noose in the other;
我知道在某些国家,特别是在安达曼群岛,黑人从不犹豫用一手持匕首,一手持套索去攻击它们; —

but I also know that few who affront those creatures ever return alive.
但我也知道那些冒险面对这些生物的人很少有活着回来的。 —

However, I am not a negro, and if I were I think a little hesitation in this case would not be ill-timed.”
然而,我不是一个黑人,如果我是,我想在这种情况下稍微犹豫一下也不为时过晚。

At this moment Conseil and the Canadian entered, quite composed, and even joyous.
此时康赛尔和加拿大人进来了,他们很镇定,甚至很高兴。 —

They knew not what awaited them.
他们不知道等待着他们的是什么。

“Faith, sir,” said Ned Land, “your Captain Nemo—the devil take him!
“老实说,先生,”尼德·兰说,“您的尼摩船长——让魔鬼带走他! —

—has just made us a very pleasant offer.”
——刚刚给我们提出了一个非常愉快的提议。”

“Ah!” said I, “you know?”
“啊!”我说,“你知道了吗?”

“If agreeable to you, sir,” interrupted Conseil, “the commander of the Nautilus has invited us to visit the magnificent Ceylon fisheries to-morrow, in your company;
“如果您同意,先生,”康赛尔插话说,“海底远航号的船长已经邀请我们明天与您一起参观壮观的锡兰渔场; —

he did it kindly, and behaved like a real gentleman.”
他做得很友善,表现得像一个真正的绅士。”

“He said nothing more?”
“他什么都没说吗?”

“Nothing more, sir, except that he had already spoken to you of this little walk.”
“他什么都没说,先生,除了他已经与您谈过这次小旅行。”

“Sir,” said Conseil, “would you give us some details of the pearl fishery?”
“先生,”康赛尔说,“您可以给我们一些关于珍珠捕捞的细节吗?”

“As to the fishing itself,” I asked, “or the incidents, which?”
“是关于捕捞本身吗?”我问道,“还是有关这个过程中的事件?”

“On the fishing,” replied the Canadian;
“关于捕捞,”加拿大人回答道, —

“before entering upon the ground, it is as well to know something about it.”
“在进入实地之前,了解一些相关情况是很重要的。”

“Very well; sit down, my friends, and I will teach you.”
“好的,请坐,我的朋友们,我来教你们。”

Ned and Conseil seated themselves on an ottoman, and the first thing the Canadian asked was:
内德和康塞尔坐在一张脚凳上,加拿大人首先问道:

“Sir, what is a pearl?”
“先生,珍珠是什么东西?”

“My worthy Ned,” I answered, “to the poet, a pearl is a tear of the sea; to the Orientals, it is a drop of dew solidified;
“亲爱的内德,”我回答道,“对于诗人来说,珍珠是大海的泪滴;对于东方人来说,它是一滴凝固的露珠; —

to the ladies, it is a jewel of an oblong shape, of a brilliancy of mother-of-pearl substance, which they wear on their fingers, their necks, or their ears;
对于女士们来说,它是一种呈长方形的珠宝,有着珍珠母质的亮度,他们会戴在手指、脖子或耳朵上; —

for the chemist it is a mixture of phosphate and carbonate of lime, with a little gelatine;
对于化学家来说,它是磷酸盐和碳酸钙的混合物,还带有一点明胶; —

and lastly, for naturalists, it is simply a morbid secretion of the organ that produces the mother-of-pearl amongst certain bivalves.”
最后,对于自然学家来说,它只是某些双壳动物产生珍珠母质时的一种病态分泌物。”

“Branch of molluscs,” said Conseil.
“软体动物门下的一个分支,”康塞尔说道。

“Precisely so, my learned Conseil; and, amongst these testacea the earshell, the tridacnae, the turbots, in a word, all those which secrete mother-of-pearl, that is, the blue, bluish, violet, or white substance which lines the interior of their shells, are capable of producing pearls.”
“正是如此,我的博学的科内伊;而且,在这些软体动物中,有些可以产生珍珠,比如耳壳、巴西石斑鱼、比目鱼等等,它们都能够分泌珍珠母贝,也就是覆盖在它们贝壳内部的蓝色、蓝紫色或白色物质。”

“Mussels too?” asked the Canadian.
“还有蚌类吗?”加拿大人问道。

“Yes, mussels of certain waters in Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Saxony, Bohemia, and France.”
“是的,苏格兰、威尔士、爱尔兰、萨克森、波希米亚和法国的某些水域中的蚌类。”

“Good! For the future I shall pay attention, ” replied the Canadian.
“好的!以后我会注意的,”加拿大人回答道。

“But,” I continued, “the particular mollusc which secretes the pearl is the pearl-oyster, the meleagrina margaritiferct, that precious pintadine.
“但是,分泌珍珠的特殊软体动物是珍珠贝,也就是珍珠母贝,它是一种宝贵的鸢尾贝。 —

The pearl is nothing but a nacreous formation, deposited in a globular form, either adhering to the oyster shell, or buried in the folds of the creature.
珍珠实际上是一种蓝珀色的形成物,以球状形式沉积在贝壳上,要么附着在贝壳上,要么埋藏在动物的褶皱中。” —

On the shell it is fast; in the flesh it is loose;
在贝壳上它很快,但在内部却很松散; —

but always has for a kernel a small hard substance, may be a barren egg, may be a grain of sand, around which the pearly matter deposits itself year after year successively, and by thin concentric layers.”
但总有一个小而坚硬的物质作为核心,可以是一颗不孕的蛋,或者是一粒沙子,周年层层地沉积着珍珠质物质。

“Are many pearls found in the same oyster?
“同一个牡蛎里会有很多珍珠吗? —

” asked Conseil.
” 康瑟尔问道。

“Yes, my boy. Some are a perfect casket.
“是的, —

One oyster has been mentioned, though I allow myself to doubt it, as having contained no less than a hundred and fifty sharks.”
小伙子。有一种牡蛎据说能容纳不止一百五十颗鲨鱼,虽然我对此表示怀疑。”

“A hundred and fifty sharks!” exclaimed Ned Land.
“一百五十条鲨鱼!”尼德兰德惊呼道。

“Did I say sharks?” said I hurriedly.
“我是说珍珠,”我匆忙地说, —

“I meant to say a hundred and fifty pearls. Sharks would not be sense.”
“我本想说一百五十颗珍珠。说鲨鱼是无意的。”

“Certainly not,” said Conseil;
“当然不是,”康瑟尔说, —

“but will you tell us now by what means they extract these pearls?”
“但您现在能告诉我们他们是如何提取这些珍珠的吗?”

“They proceed in various ways.
“他们用各种方法。 —

When they adhere to the shell, the fishermen often pull them off with pincers;
当珍珠附着在贝壳上时,渔民经常用镊子将其取下; —

but the most common way is to lay the oysters on mats of the seaweed which covers the banks.
但最常见的方法是将牡蛎放在覆盖着河岸的海藻垫上。 —

Thus they die in the open air;
然后它们在空气中死去。 —

and at the end of ten days they are in a forward state of decomposition.
十天后它们已进入前期腐烂状态。 —

They are then plunged into large reservoirs of sea-water;
然后它们被投入大型海水水库中; —

then they are opened and washed.”
然后被打开并清洗。

“The price of these pearls varies according to their size?
“这些珍珠的价格根据它们的大小而变化? —

” asked Conseil.
”康塞尔问道。

“Not only according to their size,” I answered, “but also according to their shape, their water (that is, their colour), and their lustre:
“不仅仅根据它们的大小”,我回答道,“还要根据它们的形状,它们的水色(即颜色)和它们的光泽,也就是那种亮丽而花环般的闪光,这使它们在眼中如此迷人。最美丽的被称为纯洁珍珠或典范珍珠。 —

that is, that bright and diapered sparkle which makes them so charming to the eye.
它们是孤立地在软体动物的组织中形成的,是白色的,通常是不透明的,有时具有蛋白石的透明度;它们通常是圆形或椭圆形。 —

The most beautiful are called virgin pearls, or paragons.
圆形的被制成手链,椭圆形的被制成吊坠,并且因为更珍贵,所以单个出售。 —

They are formed alone in the tissue of the mollusc, are white, often opaque, and sometimes have the transparency of an opal;
它们是孤立地在软体动物的组织中形成的,是白色的,通常是不透明的,有时具有蛋白石的透明度;它们通常是圆形或椭圆形。圆形的被制成手链,椭圆形的被制成吊坠,并且因为更珍贵,所以单个出售。 —

they are generally round or oval.
它们被孤立地在软体动物的组织中形成,是白色的, —

The round are made into bracelets, the oval into pendants, and, being more precious, are sold singly.
通常是不透明的,有时具有蛋白石的透明度;它们通常是圆形或椭圆形。圆形的被制成手链,椭圆形的被制成吊坠,并且因为更珍贵,所以单个出售。 —

Those adhering to the shell of the oyster are more irregular in shape, and are sold by weight.
与牡蛎外壳相连的那些人更加不规则形状,按重量出售。 —

Lastly, in a lower order are classed those small pearls known under the name of seed-pearls;
最后,这些小珍珠被称为种子珍珠,被归类为低等级; —

they are sold by measure, and are especially used in embroidery for church ornaments.”
它们按尺寸出售,特别用于教堂装饰上的刺绣。

“But,” said Conseil, “is this pearl-fishery dangerous?”
“但是,”康泽伊尔说,“这样的捕捞会有危险吗?”

“No,” I answered, quickly;
“不会的,”我迅速回答, —

“particularly if certain precautions are taken.”
“只要采取一定的预防措施。”

“What does one risk in such a calling?” said Ned Land, “the swallowing of some mouthfuls of sea-water?”
“在这样一个职业中,会有什么风险呢?”尼德兰德说,“吞咽一些海水?”

“As you say, Ned. By the bye,” said I, trying to take Captain Nemo’s careless tone, “are you afraid of sharks, brave Ned?”
“正如你说的,尼德,顺便问一句,”我试图采取船长尼莫那无所谓的口吻,“你害怕鲨鱼吗,勇敢的尼德?”

“I!” replied the Canadian;
“我!”加拿大人回答说, —

“a harpooner by profession?
“作为一个捕鲸人的职业? —

It is my trade to make light of them.”
逗我玩呢,我不怕它们。”

“But,” said I, “it is not a question of fishing for them with an iron-swivel, hoisting them into the vessel, cutting off their tails with a blow of a chopper, ripping them up, and throwing their heart into the sea!”
“但是,”我说,“这不是钓鱼用铁环捕捉它们,把它们升到船上,一刀砍掉它们的尾巴,剖开它们,然后把它们的内脏扔进海里的问题!”

“Then, it is a question of——”
“然后,问题就是——”

“Precisely.”
“确切地说。”

“In the water?”
“在水里吗?”

“In the water.”
“在水里。”

“Faith, with a good harpoon! You know, sir, these sharks are ill-fashioned beasts.
“天啊,拿把好用的鱼叉吧!您知道,先生,这些鲨鱼的样子实在难看。 —

They turn on their bellies to seize you, and in that time——”
它们翻转身体来袭击你,而在那个时候——”

Ned Land had a way of saying “seize” which made my blood run cold.
尼德·兰的说“袭击”的方式让我的血液冷却了下来。

“Well, and you, Conseil, what do you think of sharks?”
“好了,孔塞尔,你对鲨鱼有什么看法?”

“Me!” said Conseil. “I will be frank, sir.”
“我!”孔塞尔说。“我会诚实地说,先生。”

“So much the better,” thought I.
“那就更好了,”我心想。

“If you, sir, mean to face the sharks, I do not see why your faithful servant should not face them with you.”
“如果您,先生,打算面对鲨鱼,我不明白为什么您的忠实仆人不能和您一起面对它们。”