I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals. —
第二天下午,我从我们第一个山岗哨所回来停车在分拣站,那里的伤员和病人根据他们的文件进行分拣,文件被标记为不同的医院。 —

I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. —
我一直在开车,坐在车里,司机拿着文件进去。 —

It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. —
那是一个炎热的日子,天空非常明亮和蓝,道路洁白而多尘。 —

I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. —
我坐在菲亚特车的高座上,什么都没想。 —

A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass. The men were hot and sweating. —
一个团经过了路上,我看着他们经过。士兵们身上热得出汗。 —

Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. —
有些人戴着钢盔,但大多数人将钢盔挂在背包上。 —

Most of the helmets were too big and came down almost over the ears of the men who wore them. —
大多数的钢盔都太大,几乎盖住了戴着的人的耳朵。 —

The officers all wore helmets; better-fitting helmets. It was half of the brigata Basilicata. —
军官们都戴着钢盔;更合身的钢盔。这是巴西利卡塔旅的一半。 —

I identified them by their red and white striped collar mark. —
我通过他们的红白相间的领章认出了他们。 —

There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passed–men who could not keep up with their platoons. —
还有一些后来才走过的人–那些跟不上连队的人。 —

They were sweaty, dusty and tired. Some looked pretty bad. —
他们满身汗水、灰尘和疲倦。有些看起来相当糟糕。 —

A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers. He was walking with a limp. —
最后一个后来的士兵走过来。他走路一瘸一拐。 —

He stopped and sat down beside the road. —
他停下来坐在路边。 —

I got down and went over.
我下车过去。

“What’s the matter?”
“怎么了?”

He looked at me, then stood up.
他看着我,然后站起来。

“I’m going on.”
“我要走了。”

“What’s the trouble?”
“有什么麻烦吗?”

”– the war.”
“– 战争。”

“What’s wrong with your leg?”
“你的腿怎么了?”

“It’s not my leg. I got a rupture.”
“不是腿。我得了疝气。”

“Why don’t you ride with the transport?” I asked. “Why don’t you go to the hospital?”
“为什么不和运输队一起走?去医院怎么样?”

“They won’t let me. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose.”
“他们不让我去。中尉说我蓄意松掉了疝气带。”

“Let me feel it.”
“让我摸一下。”

“It’s way out.”
“位置很突出。”

“Which side is it on?”
“在哪边?”

“Here.”
“这里。”

I felt it.
我摸了摸。

“Cough,” I said.
“咳一下。”

“I’m afraid it will make it bigger. It’s twice as big as it was this morning.”
“我怕会让它变得更大。今早比原来大了一倍。”

“Sit down,” I said. “As soon as I get the papers on these wounded I’ll take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers.”
“坐下,“我说道。”我一弄完这些伤员的文件,就会带你沿着这条路送到你的医疗官那里。”

“He’ll say I did it on purpose.”
“他会说我是故意的。”

“They can’t do anything,” I said. “It’s not a wound. You’ve had it before, haven’t you?”
“他们什么也做不了,”我说。”这不算是伤口。你以前不是也有过吗?”

“But I lost the truss.”
“但我丢失了疝气带。”

“They’ll send you to a hospital.”
“他们会把你送到医院的。”

“Can’t I stay here, Tenente?”
“我不能呆在这里,中尉?”

“No, I haven’t any papers for you.”
“不行,我没有你的文件。”

The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car.
司机走出门,拿着轿车上受伤士兵的文件。

“Four for 105. Two for 132,” he said. They were hospitals beyond the river.
“四个送到105号,两个送到132号,”他说。那是河对面的医院。

“You drive,” I said. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us.
“你开车,”我说。我帮助那位有疝气的士兵坐到我们旁边的座位上。

“You speak English?” he asked.
“你会讲英语吗?”他问。

“Sure.”
“当然。”

“How you like this goddam war?”
“你觉得这场该死的战争怎么样?”

“Rotten.”
“糟糕透了。”

“I say it’s rotten. Jesus Christ, I say it’s rotten.”
“我说这糟透了。天哪,我说这太糟了。”

“Were you in the States?”
“你在美国吗?”

“Sure. In Pittsburgh. I knew you was an American.”
“是的。在匹兹堡。我知道你是美国人。”

“Don’t I talk Italian good enough?”
“我的意大利语说得不够好吗?”

“I knew you was an American all right.”
“我确实知道你是美国人。”

“Another American,” said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man.
“另一个美国人,”司机用意大利语对着腹股沟疝病人说。

“Listen, lootenant. Do you have to take me to that regiment?”
“听着,中尉。你非要把我送到那个团吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. —
“因为上尉医生知道我有这个疝病。” —

I threw away the goddam truss so it would get bad and I wouldn’t have to go to the line again.”
“我扔掉了该死的腹股沟带,好让情况恶化,这样我就不用再上前线了。”

“I see.”
“我明白了。”

“Couldn’t you take me no place else?”
“你不能带我去其他地方吗?”

“If it was closer to the front I could take you to a first medical post. —
“如果离前线更近的话,我可以带你去第一个医疗站。” —

But back here you’ve got to have papers.”
“但这里你必须有文件。”

“If I go back they’ll make me get operated on and then they’ll put me in the line all the time.”
“如果我回去,他们会让我动手术,然后我就得一直待在前线。”

I thought it over.
“我考虑了一下。”

“You wouldn’t want to go in the line all the time, would you?” he asked.
“你不想一直站在队伍里吧?”他问道。

“No.”
“不。”

“Jesus Christ, ain’t this a goddam war?”
“天啊,这难道不是一场该死的战争吗?”

“Listen,” I said. “You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and I’ll pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. —
“听着,”我说。“你走出来,在路边摔倒弄伤了头,我回来的时候接你,送你去医院。” —

We’ll stop by the road here, Aldo.” We stopped at the side of the road. I helped him down.
“我们在这里停下,Aldo。”我们停在路边。我帮他下了车。

“I’ll be right here, lieutenant,” he said.
“中尉,我会一直在这里的。”他说。

“So long,” I said. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead, then crossed the river, cloudy with snow-water and running fast through the spiles of the bridge, to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. —
“再见,”我说。我们继续前行,大约走了一英里就超过了那支团,然后穿过河流,河水被积雪变浑浊,急速流过桥墩,沿着平原的公路行驶,将受伤者送到两家医院。 —

I drove coming back and went fast with the empty car to find the man from Pittsburgh. —
回程时我开车走得很快,空车去找匹兹堡人。 —

First we passed the regiment, hotter and slower than ever: then the stragglers. —
首先我们超过了那支团队,比以往更热、更慢:然后是掉队者。 —

Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. —
然后我们看到一辆马车救护车停在路边。 —

Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in. They had come back for him. —
两个人正在把疝气患者抬起来放进车里。他们已经回来接他了。 —

He shook his head at me. His helmet was off and his forehead was bleeding below the hair line. —
他朝我摇了摇头。他的头盔摘掉了,额头发际以下有血流,鼻子擦伤,血迹和灰尘混在一起。 —

His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.
他的头发里也有尘土。

“Look at the bump, lieutenant!” he shouted. “Nothing to do. They come back for me.”
“看看这块包块,中尉!”他喊道。“没什么好做的。他们回来接我了。”

When I got back to the villa it was five o’clock and I went out where we washed the cars, to take a shower. —
我回到别墅时已经五点了,我出去车辆清洗区冲了个澡。 —

Then I made out my report in my room, sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. —
接着我在房间里列了我的报告,坐在开着的窗户前,穿着裤子和汗衫。 —

In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. —
offensive还有两天就要开始了,我将和汽车一起去普拉瓦。我很久没有写信给美国了,我知道我应该写信,但我已经拖延得太久,现在几乎不可能写信了。 —

There was nothing to write about. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra post-cards, crossing out everything except, I am well. —
没什么可写的。我寄了几张陆军Zona di Guerra 明信片,划掉了除了“我很好”之外的一切。 —

That should handle them. Those post-cards would be very fine in America; strange and mysterious. —
那应该足够了。这些明信片在美国会很好;奇怪而神秘。 —

This was a strange and mysterious war zone but I supposed it was quite well run and grim compared to other wars with the Austrians. —
这是一个奇怪而神秘的战区,但我想它相当完善而残酷,与其他与奥地利人对抗的战争相比。 —

The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon. —
奥地利军队旨在给拿破仑取得胜利;任何一个拿破仑。 —

I wished we had a Napoleon, but instead we had Ii Generale Cadorna, fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele, the tiny man with the long thin neck and the goat beard. —
我希望我们有个拿破仑,但相反,我们有Ii Generale Cadorna,又胖又繁荣,还有颈部细长,留着山羊胡的维托里奥·埃马努埃莱这位矮小的人。 —

Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. Maybe he was too good-looking to be a. —
在右边他们有阿奥斯塔公爵。也许他长得太帅了,不像一个伟大的将军,但他看起来像个男人。 —

great general but he looked like a man. Lots of them would have liked him to be king. —
很多人希望他成为国王。 —

He looked like a king. He was the King’s uncle and commanded the third army. —
他看起来像个国王。他是国王的叔叔,指挥着第三军。 —

We were in the second army. There were some British batteries up with the third army. —
我们在第二军中。第三军有一些英国炮兵。 —

I had met two gunners from that lot, in Milan. They were very nice and we had a big evening. —
我曾在米兰遇见过那些炮兵中的两个。他们非常友善,我们度过了一个愉快的晚上。 —

They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. —
他们高大、害羞、尴尬,一起对任何发生的事情非常感激。 —

I wish that I was with the British. It would have been much simpler. —
我希望自己能和英国人在一起。那会简单得多。 —

Still I would probably have been killed. Not in this ambulance business. —
即使是在救护车工作中,我可能也会被打死。英国的救护车司机有时也会丧生。 —

Yes, even in the ambulance business. British ambulance drivers were killed sometimes. —
是的,即使在救护车工作中也是如此。有时英国救护车司机会被杀。 —

Well, I knew I would not be killed. Not in this war. It did not have anything to do with me. —
我知道自己不会被杀死。这场战争与我无关。 —

It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. —
对我自己来说,战争似乎并不比电影中的战争更危险。 —

I wished to God it was over though. Maybe it would finish this summer. —
我希望这场战争赶快结束。也许今年夏天就会结束。 —

Maybe the Austrians would crack. They had always cracked in other wars. —
也许奥地利人会崩溃。在其他战争中,他们总是会崩溃。 —

What was the matter with this war? Everybody said the French were through. —
这场战争怎么了?人人都说法国完蛋了。 —

Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris. I asked him what happened and he said, “Oh, they stopped them.” —
林纳尔迪说法国发生了兵变,军队向巴黎进军。我问他发生了什么,他说,“噢,他们停了下来。” —

I wanted to go to Austria without war. I wanted to go to the Black Forest. —
我想去奥地利,不想经历战争。我想去黑森林。 —

I wanted to go to the Hartz Mountains.
我想去哈尔茨山。

Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway? They were fighting in the Carpathians. —
哈尔茨山在哪里?他们正在喀尔巴阡山区作战。 —

I did not want to go there anyway. It might be good though. —
我本来也不想去那里。虽然也许会不错。 —

I could go to Spain if there was no war. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off. —
如果没有战争的话,我可以去西班牙。太阳下山了,天气变凉了。 —

After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. I wish she were here now. —
晚饭过后我会去看凯瑟琳·巴克莱。但愿她现在在这里。 —

I wished I were in Milan with her. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. —
我希望我和她在米兰。我想在科瓦饭店吃饭,然后在炎热的夜晚沿着梅安佐尼大街散步,穿过广场,然后斜走沿着运河去巴克莱和凯瑟琳。 —

Maybe she would. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierge’s desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. —
也许她会的。也许她会假装我是她失去的孩子,我们会从前门进去,门房会脱帽,我会停在礼宾台前询问房间钥匙,她会站在电梯旁,然后我们会进电梯,电梯慢慢上升,经过每层楼,最终到了我们的楼层,小男孩会打开门,她会走出来,我也会走出来,然后我们一起走过走廊,我打开房门,拿起电话让他们送一瓶加普里·比安卡,放在装满冰块的银桶里,你能听到冰块在桶里碰撞的声音传来。 —

Because we would not wear any clothes because it was so hot and the window open and the swallows flying over the roofs of the houses and when it was dark afterward and you went to the window very small bats hunting over the houses and close down over the trees and we would drink the capri and the door locked and it hot and only a sheet and the whole night and we would both love each other all night in the hot night in Milan. That was how it ought to be. —
因为我们不会穿衣服,天气太热了,窗户开着,紫燕飞过房屋,当天黑后,你去窗边会看到一些小蝙蝠在房屋上空猎食,紧接着飞向树梢,我们会喝加普里并锁上门,炎热的天气,只有一条薄被,在整个米兰的炎热夜晚,我们会在整个夜晚相爱。那才是应该的方式。 —

I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley.
我会快点吃完去看凯瑟琳·巴克莱。

They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was, it seemed, a noble man and with whose injustice, the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American, and of which I had never heard, I feigned acquaintance. —
餐厅里他们说得太多,我喝酒是因为今晚我们并不是兄弟,除非我喝点,和牧师谈起伊尔兰大主教,据说他是个高尚的人,谈起他遭受的公正,我则假装对此辩解。 —

It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were, after all, it seemed, misunderstandings. —
如果我听了这么好的解释,关于他们的事情,却对这些事一无所知,那就太不礼貌了,这些问题似乎只是误会。 —

I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: —
我觉得他名字挺好听,而且他来自明尼苏达,这个名字很漂亮: —

Ireland of Minnesota, Ireland of Wisconsin, Ireland of Michigan. —
明尼苏达的爱尔兰,威斯康星的爱尔兰,密歇根的爱尔兰。 —

What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island. No that wasn’t it. —
令这些名字美丽的是它听起来像”岛屿”。不,那不对。 —

There was more to it than that. Yes, father. That is true, father. Perhaps, father. No, father. —
其实不仅仅是这样。是的,父亲。那是真的,父亲。也许,父亲。不,父亲。 —

Well, maybe yes, father. You know more about it than I do, father. The priest was good but dull. —
嗯,也许是的,父亲。您对此比我更了解,父亲。牧师是个好人但很沉闷。 —

The officers were not good but dull. The King was good but dull. The wine was bad but not dull. —
军官们不但愚蠢还沉闷,国王是善良但沉闷,葡萄酒味道不好但并不沉闷。 —

It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.
它腐蚀了你牙齿上的珐琅,留在了你口腔的顶部。

“And the priest was locked up,” Rocca said, “because they found the three per cent bonds on his person. —
“而且牧师被关起来了,因为他身上发现了百分之三的债券。” —

It was in France of course. Here they would never have arrested him. —
当然这发生在法国。在这里他们绝不会逮捕他。 —

He denied all knowledge of the five per cent bonds. This took place at B閦iers. —
他否认知道百分之五的债券。这发生在贝济耶。 —

I was there and reading of it in the paper, went to the jail and asked to see the priest. —
我在那里,读到报纸上的消息后,去了监狱然后要求见牧师。 —

It was quite evident he had stolen the bonds.”
所以显而易见他偷了债券。”

“I don’t believe a word of this,” Rinaldi said.
“我一句都不信。”Rinaldi说。

“Just as you like,” Rocca said. “But I am telling it for our priest here. —
“随你喜欢,”Rocca说。“但我是为我们这里的牧师讲的。这对他很有启发。他是一名牧师;他会欣赏的。” —

It is very informative. He is a priest; he will appreciate it.”
牧师微笑着说。“继续说,”他说。“我在听着。”

The priest smiled. “Go on,” he said. “I am listening.”
“当然一些债券未能交代清楚,但牧师拥有所有的百分之三债券和几份当地的义务,我记不清确切是什么了。

“Of course some of the bonds were not accounted for but the priest had all of the three per cent bonds and several local obligations, I forget exactly what they were. —
所以我去了监狱,这才是故事的重点,站在他牢房外面,我像去忏悔一样说‘父啊,赦免我吧,因为您犯了罪。” —

So I went to the jail, now this is the point of the story, and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession, ‘Bless me, father, for you have sinned.”
大家都笑了起来。

There was great laughter from everybody.
“他说什么?”牧师问。Rocca忽略了这个问题,继续给我解释这个笑话。

“And what did he say?” asked the priest. Rocca ignored this and went on to explain the joke to me. —
“你看懂了吧,这个点你明白了吧?”看来如果你正确理解了,这是一个非常有趣的笑话。 —

“You see the point, don’t you?” It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. —
似乎这是一个非常有趣的笑话,如果你正确理解了。 —

They poured me more wine and I told the story about the English private soldier who was placed under the shower bath. —
他们给我倒了更多的酒,我讲了一个关于被安置在淋浴下的英国士兵的故事。 —

Then the major told the story of the eleven Czecho-slovaks and the Hungarian corporal. —
然后少校讲了十一名捷克斯洛伐克人和匈牙利中士的故事。 —

After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny. —
喝了更多的酒后,我讲了一个关于发现一便士的赛马骑手的故事。 —

The major said there was an Italian story something like that about the duchess who could not sleep at night. —
少校说有一个意大利故事和这个类似,关于夜晚无法入睡的女公爵。 —

At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five o’clock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing. —
在这时,牧师离开了,我讲了一个关于旅行推销员在马赛时五点钟到达时莫桑的故事。 —

The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. I denied this. —
少校说他听说我会喝酒。我否认了这一点。 —

He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not. —
他说这是真的,靠巴克斯的尸体,我们会测试这是否属实。 —

Not Bacchus, I said. Not Ba隿hus. Yes, Bacchus, he said. —
不是巴克斯,我说。不是巴克斯。是的,巴克斯,他说。 —

I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi, Fillipo Vincenza. —
我应该与巴西,菲利波·温琴佐,一杯一杯,一杯一杯地喝。 —

Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I. I said that was a foul lie and, Bacchus or no Bacchus, Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway? —
巴西说不,这不是一个测试,因为他已经比我多喝了一倍。我说这是污蔑之词,无论是巴克斯还是不是巴克斯,菲利波·温琴佐·巴西或巴西·菲利波·温琴萨根本没有碰过一滴酒,那他的名字是什么? —

He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico? —
他说我的名字是弗雷德里科·恩里科还是恩里科·弗雷德里科? —

I said let the best man win, Bacchus barred, and the major started us with red wine in mugs. —
我说让最好的人胜利,不准巴克斯,少校用大杯开始给我们倒满红酒。 —

Half-way through the wine I did not want any more. —
喝到一半时我再也不想喝了。 —

I remembered where I was going.
我记起了自己要去的地方。

“Bassi wins,” I said. “He’s a better man than I am. I have to go.”
“巴西赢了,”我说。“他比我更好。我必须离开了。”

“He does really,” said Rinaldi. “He has a rendezvous. I know all about it.”
“他确实是的,”Rinaldi说道。“他有个约会。我知道所有的事。”

“I have to go.”
“我得走了。”

“Another night,” said Bassi. “Another night when you feel stronger.” He slapped me on the shoulder. —
“另一个晚上,”Bassi说。“另一个你感觉好些的晚上。”他拍了拍我的肩膀。 —

There were lighted candles on the table. —
桌子上有点燃的蜡烛。 —

All the officers were very happy. “Good-night, gentlemen,” I said.
所有的军官都很高兴。“晚安,先生们,”我说道。

Rinaldi went out with me. We stood outside the door on the patch and he said, “You better not go up there drunk.”
Rinaldi跟着我出去。我们站在门外的地板上,他说:“你最好不要醉醺醺地上去。”

“I’m not drunk, Rinin. Really.”
“我没喝醉,Rinin。真的。”

“You’d better chew some coffee.”
“你最好嚼点咖啡豆。”

“Nonsense.”
“胡说八道。”

“I’ll get some, baby. You walk up and down.” —
“我去拿一些,宝贝。你在这边走来走去。” —

He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans. —
他拿着一把烤咖啡豆回来。 —

“Chew those, baby, and God be with you.”
“嚼这些,宝贝,上帝与你同在。”

“Bacchus,” I said.
“巴克斯,”我说道。

“I’ll walk down with you.”
“我跟你一起走下去。”

“I’m perfectly all right.”
“我完全没问题。”

We walked along together through the town and I chewed the coffee. —
我们一起穿过小镇,我嚼着咖啡。 —

At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa, Rinaldi said good-night.
在通往英国别墅的车道大门口,Rinaldi说了声晚安。

“Good-night,” I said. “Why don’t you come in?”
“晚安,”我说道。”你为什么不进来呢?”

He shook his head. “No,” he said. “I like the simpler pleasures.”
他摇摇头。”不,”他说。”我喜欢简单的乐趣。”

“Thank you for the coffee beans.”
“谢谢你的咖啡豆。”

“Nothing, baby. Nothing.”
“没事啦,宝贝。”

J started down the driveway. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. I looked back and saw Rinaldi standing watching me and waved to him.
我开始沿着车道往下走。车道两旁的柏树轮廓清晰明晰。我回头看见Rinaldi站在那儿看着我,向他挥了挥手。

I sat in the reception hail of the villa, waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down. —
我坐在别墅的接待大厅里,等待Catherine Barkley下来。 —

Some one was coming down the hallway. I stood up, but it was not Catherine. —
有人从走廊里走过来。我站起身,但那不是Catherine。 —

It was Miss Ferguson.
是Ferguson小姐。

“Hello,” she said. “Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldn’t see you this evening.”
“你好,”她说。”Catherine叫我告诉你,她很抱歉今晚见不了你。”

“I’m so sorry. I hope she’s not ill.”
“我很抱歉。希望她没病吧?”

“She’s not awfully well.”
“她身体不太好。”

“Will you tell her how sorry I am?”
“请告诉她,我很抱歉。”

“Yes, I will.”
“好的,我会告诉她的。”

“Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrow?”
“你觉得明天去见她会有什么好处吗?”

“Yes, I do.”
“是的,我觉得会有好处。”

“Thank you very much,” I said. “Good-night.”
“非常感谢,”我说。“晚安。”

I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. —
我走出门,突然感到孤独而空虚。 —

I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly, I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow.
我对去见凯瑟琳这件事非常轻率,喝了点酒,几乎忘记要去,但当我不能看到她时,我感到孤独而空虚。