We had a fine life. We lived through the months of January and February and the winter was very fine and we were very happy. —
我们过着美好的生活。我们度过了一月和二月,冬天非常美好,我们很幸福。 —

There had been short thaws when the wind blew warm and the snow softened and the air felt like spring, but always the clear hard cold had come again and the winter had returned. —
有短暂的解冻,当风吹暖和,雪软化,空气感觉像春天,但清冷的冬天总是再次来临。 —

In March came the first break in the winter. In the night it started raining. —
三月份冬天第一次有了变化。夜晚开始下雨。 —

It rained on all morning and turned the snow to slush and made the mountain-side dismal. —
雨一直下到上午,将雪化成泥泞,使山坡变得阴郁。 —

There were clouds over the lake and over the valley. It was raining high up the mountain. —
湖面和山谷上方都布满了云。山上也在下雨。 —

Catherine wore heavy overshoes and I wore Mr. Guttingen’s rubber-boots and we walked to the station under an umbrella, through the slush and the running water that was washing the ice of the roads bare, to stop at the pub before lunch for a vermouth. —
凯瑟琳穿着厚重的防水鞋,我穿着古廷根先生的橡胶靴,我们打着伞走到车站,踩着泥泞和流淌的水,洗刷着道路上的冰,中途在酒吧停下来喝一杯味美思。 —

Outside we could hear the rain.
外面我们能听到雨声。

“Do you think we ought to move into town?”
“你觉得我们应该搬到镇上去吗?”

“What do you think?” Catherine asked.
“你怎么想?” 凯瑟琳问道。

“If the winter is over and the rain keeps up it won’t be fun up here. —
“如果冬天结束了,雨继续下,山上就不好玩了。 —

How long is it before young Catherine?”
小凯瑟琳还有多久?”

“About a month. Perhaps a little more.”
“大约一个月。也许再多一点。”

“We might go down and stay in Montreux.”
“我们可以下去住在蒙特勒。”

“Why don’t we go to Lausanne? That’s where the hospital is.”
“那我们为什么不去洛桑呢?那里有医院。”

“All right. But I thought maybe that was too big a town.”
“好的。但我觉得也许那个镇太大了。”

“We can be as much alone in a bigger town and Lausanne might be nice.”
“我们在大城市也可以很孤独,洛桑可能会很不错。”

“When should we go?”
“我们什么时候去?”

“I don’t care. Whenever you want, darling. I don’t want to leave here if you don’t want.”
“我无所谓。亲爱的,你想什么时候去就什么时候去。如果你不想走,我也不想离开这里。”

“Let’s see how the weather turns out.”
“让我们看看天气怎么样吧。”

It rained for three days. The snow was all gone now on the mountain-side below the station. —
“已经下了三天的雨。山下的雪现在都消失了。” —

The road was a torrent of muddy snow-water. It was too wet and slushy to go out. —
“道路上都是泥泞的雪水,太湿了,太泥泞了,我们出不去。” —

On the morning of the third day of rain we decided to go down into town.
“在第三天的早晨,我们决定下到城里去。”

“That is all right, Mr. Henry,” Guttingen said. “You do not have to give me any notice. —
“没问题,亨利先生,”古廷根说。”你不必提前通知我。” —

I did not think you would want to stay now the bad weather is come.”
“我想你现在天气不好会不想待在这里。”

“We have to be near the hospital anyway on account of Madame,” I said.
“无论如何,因为玛丽是住在医院附近。”

“I understand,” he said. “Will you come back some time and stay, with the little one?”
“我理解,”他说。”您会再回来吗,带着小家伙?”

“Yes, if you would have room.”
“是的,如果你有空房间的话。”

“In the spring when it is nice you could come and enjoy it. —
“在春天好的时候,你们可以来享受。” —

We could put the little one and the nurse in the big room that is closed now and you and Madame could have your same room looking out over the lake.”
“我们可以把小家伙和保姆安排在现在封闭的大房间里,你和玛丽可以继续住在俯瞰湖景的那个房间。”

“I’ll write about coming,” I said. We packed and left on the train that went down after lunch. —
“我会写信说明我们会再来的。”我们收拾好行李,在午饭后搭乘前往下坡的火车。” —

Mr. and Mrs. Guttingen came down to the station with us and he hauled our baggage down on a sled through the slush. —
古廷根夫妇和我们一起来到车站,他用雪橇把我们的行李拉到了车站。 —

They stood beside the station in the rain waving good-by.
他们站在车站旁边在雨中挥手告别。

“They were very sweet,” Catherine said.
“他们人真好,” 凯瑟琳说。

“They were fine to us.”
“他们对我们很好。”

We took the train to Lausanne from Montreux. —
我们从蒙特勒乘火车到洛桑。 —

Looking out the window toward where we had lived you could not see the mountains for the clouds. —
往我们曾经居住的地方看去,云雾蔽住了群山。 —

The train stopped in Vevey, then went on, passing the lake on one side and on the other the wet brown fields and the bare woods and the wet houses. —
火车在维韦停下,然后继续前行,一边是湖泊,另一边是湿漉漉的棕色田野、光秃秃的树林和湿漉漉的房屋。 —

We came into Lausanne and went into a medium-sized hotel to stay. —
我们来到洛桑,入住了一家中等大小的旅馆。 —

It was still raining as we drove through the streets and into the carriage entrance of the hotel. —
当我们驶过街道,驶入旅馆的马车入口时仍在下着雨。 —

The concierge with brass keys on his lapels, the elevator, the carpets on the floors, and the white washbowls with shining fixtures, the brass bed and the big comfortable bedroom all seemed very great luxury after the Guttingens. —
门童胸前别着铜钥匙,电梯,地板上的地毯,带着闪闪发光的装置的洗脸盆,黄铜床和宽敞舒适的卧室在古廷根家之后显得是极大的奢华。 —

The windows of the room looked out on a wet garden with a wall topped by an iron fence. —
房间的窗户望出去是一座墙,墙顶上带着铁栅栏的湿漉漉的花园。 —

Across the street, which sloped steeply, was another hotel with a similar wall and garden. —
街对面,陡坡上是另一家相似的旅馆,也有一面墙和花园。 —

I looked out at the rain falling in the fountain of the garden.
我看着雨水落在花园的喷泉里。

Catherine turned on all the lights and commenced unpacking. —
凯瑟琳打开所有的灯,并开始收拾行李。 —

I ordered a whiskey and soda and lay on the bed and read the papers I had bought at the station. —
我点了一杯威士忌苏打水,躺在床上读起了在车站买的报纸。 —

It was March, 1918, and the German offensive had started in France. —
1918年3月,德军在法国发动了进攻。 —

I drank the whiskey and soda and read while Catherine unpacked and moved around the room.
我喝着威士忌苏打水,一边阅读,一边看着凯瑟琳收拾行李在房间里走动。

“You know what I have to get, darling,” she said.
“亲爱的,你知道我得买什么吧,“她说。

“What?”
“什么?”

“Baby clothes. There aren’t many people reach my time without baby things.”
“婴儿衣服。不太多的人能在我这个时候没有宝宝的东西。”

“You can buy them.”
“你可以买。”

“I know. That’s what I’ll do to-morrow. I’ll find out what is necessary.”
“我知道。明天我就去买。我会弄清楚需要买什么。”

“You ought to know. You were a nurse.”
“你应该知道。你以前是护士。”

“But so few of the soldiers had babies in the hospitals.”
“但医院里的士兵很少带着宝宝。”

“I did.”
“我就带着。”

She hit me with the pillow and spilled the whiskey and soda.
她用枕头打我,溅了威士忌苏打水。

“I’ll order you another,” she said. “I’m sorry I spilled it.”
“我给你再来一杯,“她说。”抱歉我弄洒了。”

“There wasn’t much left. Come on over to the bed.”
“已经不剩多少了。过来床上吧。”

“No. I have to try and make this room look like something.”
“不。我得试着让这个房间看起来像个样子。”

“Like what?”
“像什么?”

“Like our home.”
“像我们的家一样。”

“Hang out the Allied flags.”
“挂上同盟国的旗帜。”

“Oh shut up.”
“哦,闭嘴。”

“Say it again.”
“再说一遍。”

“Shut up.”
“闭嘴。”

“You say it so cautiously,” I said. “As though you didn’t want to offend any one.”
“‘你说得那么谨慎,’我说。‘好像你不想冒犯任何人。’”

“I don’t.”
“我不想。”

“Then come over to the bed.”
“那就过来床这边。”

“All right.” She came and sat on the bed. —
“好的。”她走过来坐在床上。 —

“I know I’m no fun for you, darling. I’m like a big flour-barrel.”
“亲爱的,我知道我对你来说不好玩。我就像一个大面粉桶。”

“No you’re not. You’re beautiful and you’re sweet.”
“不,你不是。你很美,也很甜。”

“I’m just something very ungainly that you’ve married.”
“我只是一个你娶了的很笨拙的东西。”

“No you’re not. You’re more beautiful all the time.”
“不,你不是。你变得越来越美。”

“But I will be thin again, darling.”
“但是我会变瘦的,亲爱的。”

“You’re thin now.”
“你现在已经很瘦了。”

“You’ve been drinking.”
“你已经喝酒了。”

“Just whiskey and soda.”
“只是威士忌加苏打水。”

“There’s another one coming,” she said. “And then should we order dinner up here?”
“还有一个人快到了,”她说,“然后我们要在这里点晚餐吗?”

“That will be good.”
“那挺好的。”

“Then we won’t go out, will we? We’ll just stay in to-night.”
“那我们今晚就不出去了吧?我们就待在这里。”

“And play,” I said.
“然后玩,”我说。

“I’ll drink some wine,” Catherine said. “It won’t hurt me. —
“我会喝一些葡萄酒,”凯瑟琳说。“这不会伤害我。” —

Maybe we can get some of our old white capri.”
“也许我们可以买些我们以前的白卡普里。”

“I know we can,” I said. “They’ll have Italian wines at a hotel this size.”
“我知道我们可以,”我说。“这么大的酒店一定会有意大利葡萄酒。”

The waiter knocked at the door. He brought the whiskey in a glass with ice and beside the glass on a tray a small bottle of soda.
侍者敲门进来。他用冰和玻璃杯里的威士忌,盘子上还有一小瓶苏打水。

“Thank you,” I said. “Put it down there. Will you please have dinner for two brought up here and two bottles of dry white capri in ice.”
“谢谢,”我说。“放在那里。请你把两份晚餐和两瓶放冰里的干白卡普里带上来。”

“Do you wish to commence your dinner with soup?”
“你要用汤开始你的晚餐吗?”

“Do you want soup, Cat?”
“Cat,你想要汤吗?”

“Please.”
“请。”

“Bring soup for one.”
“给一份汤。”

“Thank you, sir.” He went out and shut the door. —
“谢谢您,先生。”他走出去关上了门。 —

I went back to the papers and the war in the papers and poured the soda slowly over the ice into the whiskey. —
我回到文件和报纸,将苏打慢慢倒在冰块中的威士忌中。 —

I would have to tell them not to put ice in the whiskey. Let them bring the ice separately. —
我得告诉他们不要把冰放在威士忌里。让他们把冰另外带过来。 —

That way you could tell how much whiskey there was and it would not suddenly be too thin from the soda. —
这样你就可以看到有多少威士忌了,也不会突然因为苏打而变得太稀薄。 —

I would get a bottle of whiskey and have them bring ice and soda. That was the sensible way. —
我会买一瓶威士忌,让他们带冰和苏打。那是明智的办法。 —

Good whiskey was very pleasant. It was one of the pleasant parts of life.
好的威士忌非常令人愉快。这是生活中非常令人愉悦的一部分。

“What are you thinking, darling?”
“亲爱的,你在想什么?”

“About whiskey.”
“关于威士忌。”

“What about whiskey?”
“威士忌怎么了?”

“About how nice it is.”
“关于它有多么美好。”

Catherine made a face. “All right,” she said.
凯瑟琳皱起了眉头。“好吧,”她说。

We stayed at that hotel three weeks. It was not bad; —
我们在那家旅馆住了三周。那并不糟糕; —

the diningroom was usually empty and very often we ate in our room at night. —
餐厅通常很空,晚上我们经常在房间里吃。 —

We walked in the town and took the cogwheel railway down to Ouchy and walked beside the lake. —
我们在镇上散步,乘坐齿轮铁路到乌奇,沿着湖边散步。 —

The weather became quite warm and it was like spring. —
天气变得相当暖和,就像春天一样。 —

We wished we were back in the mountains but the spring weather lasted only a few days and then the cold rawness of the breaking-up of winter came again.
我们希望能回到山里,但春天的天气只持续了几天,然后又回到了冬天结束时的寒冷阴郁。

Catherine bought the things she needed for the baby, up in the town. —
凯瑟琳在镇上买了为宝宝需要的东西。 —

I went to a gymnasium in the arcade to box for exercise. —
我去了一家拳击健身房锻炼身体。 —

I usually went up there in the morning while Catherine stayed late in bed. —
通常我早上去那里,而凯瑟琳则在床上赖着不起。 —

On the days of false spring it was very nice, after boxing and taking a shower, to walk along the streets smelling the spring in the air and stop at a caf? —
在假春天的日子里,拳击和淋浴之后,漫步在街上闻着春天的气息是非常愉快的,坐在咖啡馆里看着人们,读报纸,喝一杯苦艾酒; —

to sit and watch the people and read the paper and drink a vermouth; —
然后下到旅馆和凯瑟琳一起吃午饭。 —

then go down to the hotel and have lunch with Catherine. —
健身房的教练留着小胡子,非常精准而突兀,一旦你出手,他就会崩溃。 —

The professor at the boxing gymnasium wore mustaches and was very precise and jerky and went all to pieces if you started after him. —
但在健身房里很舒适。那里空气好,光线好,我eworked着挺努力的,跳绳,做影子拳击,在透过敞开的窗户透进来的一缕阳光下躺在地板上做腹部运动,偶尔在拳击时吓到教练。 —

But it was pleasant in the gym. There was good air and light and I worked quite hard, skipping rope, shadowboxing, doing abdominal exercises lying on the floor in a patch of sunlight that came through the open window, and occasionally scaring the professor when we boxed. —
起初我不能在狭长的镜子前做影子拳击,因为看起来一个留着胡须的男人在拳击看起来很奇怪。 —

I could not shadow-box in front of the narrow long mirror at first because it looked so strange to see a man with a beard boxing. —
但最后我只是觉得很好笑。 —

But finally I just thought it was funny. —
我开始拳击时想马上把胡子剃掉,但凯瑟琳不想我剃。 —

I wanted to take off the beard as soon as I started boxing but Catherine did not want me to.
有时候凯瑟琳和我坐马车出城兜风。

Sometimes Catherine and I went for rides out in the country in a carriage. —
在天气宜人的日子里骑车非常惬意,我们找到两个好地方可以骑出去吃东西。 —

It was nice to ride when the days were pleasant and we found two good places where we could ride out to eat. —
凯瑟琳现在走不了很远了,我喜欢和她一起骑马车沿着乡间道路出去。 —

Catherine could not walk very far now and I loved to ride out along the country roads with her. —
我能与她一起很开心地骑马出去。 —

When there was a good day we had a splendid time and we never had a bad time. —
当有一个美好的日子,我们度过了愉快的时光,从未有过糟糕的时光。 —

We knew the baby was very close now and it gave us both a feeling as though something were hurrying us and we could not lose any time together.
我们知道宝宝现在非常接近了,这给了我们一种被赶着的感觉,我们不能浪费任何时间在一起。