In civilian clothes I felt a masquerader. —
穿着便装时,我感觉自己像个假面舞者。 —

I had been in uniform a long time and I missed the feeling of being held by your clothes. —
我穿军装时间很长,我想念被军装包裹的感觉。 —

The trousers felt very floppy. I had bought a ticket at Milan for Stresa. —
裤子感觉很松垮。我在米兰买了去斯特雷萨的票。 —

I had also bought a new hat. I could not wear Sim’s hat but his clothes were fine. —
我还买了一顶新帽子。我不能戴西姆的帽子,但他的衣服很合身。 —

They smelled of tobacco and as I sat in the compartment and looked out the window the new hat felt very new and the clothes very old. —
衣服闻起来有烟草味,当我坐在包厢里望着窗外时,新帽子感觉非常新,衣服则感觉很旧。 —

I myself felt as sad as the wet Lombard country that was outside through the window. —
我感到非常悲伤,就像窗外潮湿的伦巴第乡村一样。 —

There were some aviators in the compartment who did not think much of me. —
包厢里有一些飞行员,他们对我评价不高。 —

They avoided looking at me and were very scornful of a civilian my age. I did not feel insulted. —
他们避免看我,对于和我年龄相仿的平民颇为鄙视。我并没有感到受辱。 —

In the old days I would have insulted them and picked a fight. —
在过去,我会侮辱他们,挑起争执。 —

They got off at Gallarate and I was glad to be alone. —
他们在加拉拉特下车时,我感到很高兴能够独处。 —

I had the paper but I did not read it because I did not want to read about the war. —
我带着报纸,但我没有阅读,因为我不想读关于战争的内容。 —

I was going to forget the war. I had made a separate peace. —
我要忘记战争。我已经达成了单独的和平。 —

I felt damned lonely and was glad when the train got to Stresa.
我感到极度孤独,当火车到达斯特雷萨时,我感到很高兴。

At the station I had expected to see the porters from the hotels but there was no one. —
在火车站,我期待看到酒店的搬运工,但却一个人也没有。 —

The season had been over a long time and no one met the train. —
旅游季节已经结束很久,没有人来迎接火车。 —

I got down from the train with my bag, it was Sim’s bag, and very light to carry, being empty except for two shirts, and stood under the roof of the station in the rain while the train went on. —
我拿着一只包下了火车,那是辛姆的包,很轻,里面只有两件衬衣,除此之外空空如也,站在车站的雨篷下,看着火车驶去。 —

I found a man in the station and asked him if he knew what hotels were open. —
我在车站找到一个人,问他知不知道有哪些酒店开着。 —

The Grand-Hotel & des Isles Borrom閑s was open and several small hotels that stayed open all the year. —
格兰-大酒店和博罗米尔群岛酒店都开着,还有几家全年营业的小酒店。 —

I started in the rain for the Isles Borrom閑s carrying my bag. —
我提着包冒雨往博罗米尔群岛酒店走去。 —

I saw a carriage coming down the street and signalled to the driver. —
我看到一辆马车驶过来,向车夫招手。 —

It was better to arrive in a carriage. We drove up to the carriage entrance of the big hotel and the concierge came out with an umbrella and was very polite.
坐马车到达会比较好。我们驶到大酒店的马车入口,门童拿着伞出来,态度非常有礼貌。

I took a good room. It was very big and light and looked out on the lake. —
我订了一间好房间。很宽敞明亮,可以看到湖景。 —

The clouds were down over the lake but it would be beautiful with the sunlight. —
云层笼罩在湖面上,但如果阳光明媚的话会很美丽。 —

I was expecting my wife, I said. There was a big double bed, a letto matrimoniale with a satin coverlet. —
我等着我的妻子,我说。房间里有一张大双人床,上面铺着缎面被子。 —

The hotel was very luxurious. I went down the long halls, down the wide stairs, through the rooms to the bar. —
酒店非常豪华。我沿着长长的走廊,下着宽敞的楼梯,在各个房间间穿梭到酒吧。 —

I knew the barman and sat on a high stool and ate salted almonds and potato chips. —
我认识吧台招待,坐在高脚凳上吃盐渍杏仁和薯片。 —

The martini felt cool and clean.
马丁尼清凉爽口。

“What are you doing here in borghese?” the barman asked after he had mixed a second martini.
“你为什么会在这里borghese?“吧台招待调制完第二杯马丁尼后问道。

“I am on leave. Convalescing-leave.”
“我在休假。疗养休假。”

“There is no one here. I don’t know why they keep the hotel open.”
“这里没什么人。我不知道他们为什么要开着酒店。”

“Have you been fishing?”
“你有去钓鱼吗?”

“I’ve caught some beautiful pieces. Trolling this time of year you catch some beautiful pieces.”
“我钓到了一些漂亮的鱼。这个时候打着拖钓,钓到一些漂亮的家伙。”

“Did you ever get the tobacco I sent?”
“你收到我寄的烟草了吗?”

“Yes. Didn’t you get my card?”
“是的。你没有收到我的明信片吗?”

I laughed. I had not been able to get the tobacco. —
我笑了。我没能拿到那烟草。 —

It was American pipe-tobacco that he wanted, but my relatives had stopped sending it or it was being held up. —
“他想要美国的烟斗烟草,但是我的亲戚们停止寄送了,或者是被扣住了。” —

Anyway it never came.
无论如何,烟草从未送到。

“I’ll get some somewhere,” I said. “Tell me have you seen two English girls in the town? —
“我会想办法弄些来的。告诉我,你在镇上看到两个英国女孩了吗?” —

They came here day before yesterday.”
“她们前天来过这里。”

“They are not at the hotel.”
“她们不在旅馆里。”

“They are nurses.”
“她们是护士。”

“I have seen two nurses. Wait a minute, I will find out where they are.”
“我见过两个护士。等一下,我会找出她们在哪。”

“One of them is my wife,” I said. “I have come here to meet her.”
“其中一个是我的妻子,”我说。”我来这里是要见她。”

“The other is my wife.”
“另一个是我的妻子。”

“I am not joking.”
“我不是在开玩笑。”

“Pardon my stupid joke,” he said. “I did not understand.” —
“对不起我的愚蠢笑话,”他说。“我不明白。” —

He went away and was gone quite a little while. —
他走开了,过了一小会儿才回来。 —

I ate olives, salted almonds and potato chips and looked at myself in civilian clothes in the mirror behind the bar. —
我吃了橄榄,盐味杏仁和薯片,看着自己在吧台后面的镜子里穿着便装。 —

The bartender came back. “They are at the little hotel near the station,” he said.
酒保回来了。“他们在车站附近的小旅馆里,”他说。

“How about some sandwiches?”
“要不要来些三明治?”

“I’ll ring for some. You understand there is nothing here, now there are no people.”
“我会叫几份来。你应该明白这里什么都没有了,现在没有人了。”

“Isn’t there really any one at all?”
“真的一个都没有吗?”

“Yes. There are a few people.”
“是的。还有一些人。”

The sandwiches came and I ate three and drank a couple more martinis. —
三明治来了,我吃了三个,喝了几杯马丁尼。 —

I had never tasted anything so cool and clean. They made me feel civilized. —
我从未尝过如此清凉干净的东西。让我感觉到文明。 —

I had had too much red wine, bread, cheese, bad coffee and grappa. —
我喝了太多的红葡萄酒,面包,奶酪,糟糕的咖啡和杂酒。 —

I sat on the high stool before the pleasant mahogany, the brass and the mirrors and did not think at all. —
我坐在高脚凳前面愉快的桃花心木,黄铜和镜子面前,一点都不思考。 —

The barman asked me some question.
酒保问了我一个问题。

“Don’t talk about the war,” I said. The war was a long way away. Maybe there wasn’t any war. —
“别谈论战争,”我说。战争离得很远。也许这里根本没有战争。 —

There was no war here. Then I realized it was over for me. —
这里没有战争。然后我意识到对我来说,战争已经结束了。 —

But I did not have the feeling that it was really over. —
但我并没有觉得一切真的结束了。 —

I had the feeling of a boy who thinks of what is happening at a certain hour at the schoolhouse from which he has played truant.
我有一种男孩的感觉,他想到自己在逃课的学校某个时间发生了什么事情。

Catherine and Helen Ferguson were at supper when I came to their hotel. —
凯瑟琳和海伦·弗格森正在吃晚餐,当我来到他们的宾馆时。 —

Standing in the hallway I saw them at table. —
我站在门厅里看着她们在餐桌旁。 —

Catherine’s face was away from me and I saw the line of her hair and her cheek and her lovely neck and shoulders. —
凯瑟琳的脸朝着我看不见,我看到了她的发线、脸颊、漂亮的脖子和肩膀。 —

Ferguson was talking. She stopped when I came in.
弗格森在说话。她看到我进来就停了下来。

“My God,” she said.
“我的天啊,”她说。

“Hello,” I said.
“你好,”我说。

“Why it’s you!” Catherine said. Her face lighted up. —
“天哪,你来了!” 凯瑟琳说。她的脸上露出了笑容。 —

She looked too happy to believe it. I kissed her. —
她看起来太高兴了,以至于不敢相信。我吻了她。 —

Catherine blushed and I sat down at the table.
凯瑟琳脸红了,我坐在了桌旁。

“You’re a fine mess,” Ferguson said. “What are you doing here? Have you eaten?”
“你真是一个大忙人,”弗格森说。 “你在这里干什么?吃过饭了吗?”

“No.” The girl who was serving the meal came in and I told her to bring a plate for me. —
“没有。”正在端菜的女孩进来了,我让她给我盛一盘。 —

Catherine looked at me all the time, her eyes happy.
凯瑟琳一直看着我,眼睛里充满了快乐。

“What are you doing in mufti?” Ferguson asked.
“你为什么穿便服?” 弗格森问道。

“I’m in the Cabinet.”
“我身处内阁之中。”

“You’re in some mess.”
“你陷入了麻烦。”

“Cheer up, Fergy. Cheer up just a little.”
“振作点,费吉。稍微振作点。”

“I’m not cheered by seeing you. I know the mess you’ve gotten this girl into. —
“看到你我并不感到高兴。我知道你把这个女孩搞进了什么困境。” —

You’re no cheerful sight to me.”
“对我来说,你并不是一个让人高兴的视觉。”

Catherine smiled at me and touched me with her foot under the table.
凯瑟琳微笑着看着我,在桌子下用脚碰了我一下。

“No one got me in a mess, Fergy. I get in my own messes.”
“没有人把我弄进困境里,费吉。闹出乱子都是我自己惹的。”

“I can’t stand him,” Ferguson said. “He’s done nothing but ruin you with his sneaking Italian tricks. —
“我受不了他,”费格森说道。”他只会用他那些阴险的意大利把戏毁了你。” —

Americans are worse than Italians.”
“美国人比意大利人还糟糕。”

“The Scotch are such a moral people,” Catherine said.
“苏格兰人是那么一个有道德的民族,”凯瑟琳说。

“I don’t mean that. I mean his Italian sneakiness.”
“我不是说那个。我是说他的意大利诡计。”

“Am I sneaky, Fergy?”
“费吉,我是个阴险的人吗?”

“You are. You’re worse than sneaky. You’re like a snake. —
“你是的。你不只是阴险,你像一条蛇。” —

A snake with an Italian uniform: with a cape around your neck.”
“一条身着意大利军服的蛇:脖子上还围着披风。”

“I haven’t got an Italian uniform now.”
“我现在没有意大利军服。”

“That’s just another example of your sneakiness. —
“这只是你狡诈的又一个例子。 —

You had a love affair all summer and got this girl with child and now I suppose you’ll sneak off.”
整个夏天你都有一段恋情,还让这个女孩怀了孩子,现在我想你会悄悄溜走。”

I smiled at Catherine and she smiled at me.
我冲凯瑟琳微笑,她也对我微笑。

“We’ll both sneak off,” she said.
“我们都会悄悄走的,“她说。

“You’re two of the same thing,” Ferguson said. “I’m ashamed of you, Catherine Barkley. —
“你们两个一丘之貉,“弗格森说。”我为你感到羞耻,凯瑟琳·巴克利。 —

You have no shame and no honor and you’re as sneaky as he is.”
你毫无羞耻和荣誉,你跟他一样阴险。”

“Don’t, Fergy,” Catherine said and patted her hand. —
“别这样,弗吉,“凯瑟琳说着,抚摸着她的手。 —

“Don’t denounce me. You know we like each other.”
“不要谴责我。你知道我们彼此喜欢。”

“Take your hand away,” Ferguson said. Her face was red. “If you had any shame it would be different. —
“把你的手拿开,“弗格森说。她的脸红了。”如果你有一点羞耻就好了。 —

But you’re God knows how many months gone with child and you think it’s a joke and are all smiles because your seducer’s come back. —
但是你怀孕多少个月了,你却觉得这很有趣,一副笑脸欢迎你的诱奸者回来。 —

You’ve no shame and no feelings.” She began to cry. —
你一点羞耻和感情都没有。”她开始哭泣。 —

Catherine went over and put her arm around her. —
在凯瑟琳安慰弗吉时,我看不出她的身材有什么变化。 —

As she stood comforting Ferguson, I could see no change in her figure.
“我不在乎,“弗吉抽泣道。”我觉得这太可怕了。”

“I don’t care,” Ferguson sobbed. “I think it’s dreadful.”
“别伤心,弗吉,“凯瑟琳安慰她。”我会感到羞耻的。”

“There, there, Fergy,” Catherine comforted her. “I’ll be ashamed. —
“好了,好了,弗吉,“凯瑟琳安慰她说。”我会感到羞耻的。” —

Don’t cry, Fergy. Don’t cry, old Fergy.”
不要哭,Fergy。不要哭,老Fergy。

“I’m not crying,” Ferguson sobbed. “I’m not crying. Except for the awful thing you’ve gotten into.” —
“我没有哭,” Ferguson 抽泣着说。”我没有哭。只有你陷入的可怕事情让我这样。” —

She looked at me. “I hate you,” she said. “She can’t make me not hate you. —
她看着我说:”我恨你,” 她说。”她不能让我不恨你。 —

You dirty sneaking American Italian.” Her eyes and nose were red with crying.
你这个肮脏的卑鄙的美国意大利人。”她的眼睛和鼻子因哭泣而变得通红。

Catherine smiled at me.
Catherine 对我微笑。

“Don’t you smile at him with your arm around me.”
“不要你搂着我对他微笑。

“You’re unreasonable, Fergy.”
“你真是太不讲理了,Fergy。

“I know it,” Ferguson sobbed. “You mustn’t mind me, either of you. I’m so upset. —
“我知道,” Ferguson 抽泣着说。”你们俩都不要在意我。我太心烦了。 —

I’m not reasonable. I know it. I want you both to be happy.”
我不讲理。我知道。我希望你们俩都能幸福。

“We’re happy,” Catherine said. “You’re a sweet Fergy.”
“我们很幸福,” Catherine 说。”你真是个可爱的Fergy。

Ferguson cried again. “I don’t want you happy the way you are. —
Ferguson 又哭了。”我不希望你们像现在这样幸福。 —

Why don’t you get married? You haven’t got another wife have you?”
你们为什么不结婚呢?你没有另外一个妻子对吧?

“No,” I said. Catherine laughed.
“没有,” 我说。Catherine 笑了。

“It’s nothing to laugh about,” Ferguson said. “Plenty of them have other wives.”
“这可不是笑的事,” Ferguson 说。”有很多人有其他妻子。

“We’ll be married, Fergy,” Catherine said, “if it will please you.”
“我们会结婚的,Fergy,” Catherine 说,”如果这能让你开心的话。

“Not to please me. You should want to be married.”
“不是为了讨好我。你应该是想结婚才对。”

“We’ve been very busy.”
“我们一直很忙。”

“Yes. I know. Busy making babies.” I thought she was going to cry again but she went into bitterness instead. —
“是的。我知道。忙着生孩子。”我以为她又要哭了,但她却变得愤怒起来。 —

“I suppose you’ll go off with him now to-night?”
“我猜你现在会跟他走了吧?”

“Yes,” said Catherine. “If he wants me.”
“是的,”凯瑟琳说。“如果他想要我。”

“What about me?”
“那我呢?”

“Are you afraid to stay here alone?”
“你害怕一个人留在这里吗?”

“Yes, I am.”
“是的,我害怕。”

“Then I’ll stay with you.”
“那我会和你一起留下。”

“No, go on with him. Go with him right away. I’m sick of seeing both of you.”
“不,赶紧跟他走。赶紧离开。我看腻了,看腻了你们两个。”

“We’d better finish dinner.”
“我们最好把晚餐吃完。”

“No. Go right away.”
“不,立刻走。”

“Fergy, be reasonable.”
“Fergy,理智点。”

“I say get out right away. Go away both of you.”
“我说现在就赶紧滚。两个都赶紧滚。”

“Let’s go then,” I said. I was sick of Fergy.
“那我们走吧。”我受够了 Fergy。

“You do want to go. You see you want to leave me even to eat dinner alone. —
“你确实想要离开。你看,连晚饭都想让我一个人吃。” —

I’ve always wanted to go to the Italian lakes and this is how it is. —
“我一直想去意大利的湖区,就是这样。” —

Oh, Oh,” she sobbed, then looked at Catherine and choked.
“哦,哦,”她抽泣着,然后看着凯瑟琳,眼泪哽咽。

“We’ll stay till after dinner,” Catherine said. —
“我们会留下来吃完晚饭的,”凯瑟琳说。 —

“And I’ll not leave you alone if you want me to stay. —
“如果你想让我留下来,我就不会让你一个人,” —

I won’t leave you alone, Fergy.”
“费尔基,我不会让你一个人。”

“No. No. I want you to go. I want you to go.” She wiped her eyes. —
“不,不,我希望你离开。我想让你离开。”她擦了擦眼睛。 —

“I’m so unreasonable. Please don’t mind me.”
“我真是太不理智了。请别介意我。”

The girl who served the meal had been upset by all the crying. —
奉上晚餐的女孩因为哭泣而心烦意乱。 —

Now as she brought in the next course she seemed relieved that things were better.
现在她端着下一道菜进来时,似乎松了一口气,感觉事情变好了。

That night at the hotel, in our room with the long empty hall outside and our shoes outside the door, a thick carpet on the floor of the room, outside the windows the rain falling and in the room light and pleasant and cheerful, then the light out and it exciting with smooth sheets and the bed comfortable, feeling that we had come home, feeling no longer alone, waking in the night to find the other one there, and not gone away; —
那天晚上在旅馆里,我们在房间里,外面是长延伸的空荡荡的过道,我们的鞋在门外,房间地板上铺着厚厚的地毯,窗外雨声淅淅沥沥,在房间里明亮宜人,轻松愉快,然后灯灭了,有着柔软的床单和舒适的床,感觉像回家了,不再感到孤单,夜里醒来发现对方在身边,并未离开; —

all other things were unreal. We slept when we were tired and if we woke the other one woke too so one was not alone. —
其他事物都显得不真实。我们困了就睡觉,若醒来,对方也会醒来,这样就不会一个人。 —

Often a man wishes to be alone and a girl wishes to be alone too and if they love each other they are jealous of that in each other, but I can truly say we never felt that. —
有时候,一个男人渴望独处,一个女孩也想独处,如果他们彼此相爱,他们会嫉妒对方身上的这种愿望,但我可以真诚地说我们从未感受到过那种情绪。 —

We could feel alone when we were together, alone against the others. —
当我们在一起时,我们能感受到孤独,独立于他人之外。 —

It has only happened to me like that once. —
只有一次我经历过这样的感觉。 —

I have been alone while I was with many girls and that is the way that you can be most lonely. —
我曾和许多女孩在一起时却感到孤单,这是你最容易感到孤独的方式。 —

But we were never lonely and never afraid when we were together. —
但当我们在一起时,我们从未感到孤独,也从未感到害怕。 —

I know that the night is not the same as the day: —
我知道夜晚与白天不同: —

that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started. —
夜晚的事物无法用白天的方式解释,因为它们在白天并不存在,一旦孤独开始,夜晚对于孤独的人来说可能是可怕的时光。 —

But with Catherine there was almost no difference in the night except that it was an even better time. —
但与凯瑟琳在一起,夜晚几乎没有什么不同,除了这是一个更美好的时光。 —

If people bring so much courage to this world the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. —
如果人们将如此多的勇气带到这个世界,世界必须杀死他们才能摧毁他们,所以当然会杀死他们。 —

The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. —
世界摧毁每个人,之后许多人在受伤的地方变得坚强。 —

But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. —
但那些不肯屈服的人,它会杀死。它会毫无偏见地杀死非常善良、非常温柔和非常勇敢的人。 —

If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
如果你不是这些人中的任何一种,你可以肯定它也会杀死你,但不会急于如此。

I remember waking in the morning. Catherine was asleep and the sunlight was coming in through the window. —
我记得早晨醒来。凯瑟琳还在睡觉,阳光透过窗户照进来。 —

The rain had stopped and I stepped out of bed and across the floor to the window. —
雨停了,我从床上走过房间到窗户那里。 —

Down below were the gardens, bare now but beautifully regular, the gravel paths, the trees, the stone wall by the lake and the lake in the sunlight with the mountains beyond. —
楼下是花园,现在光秃秃的,但却美丽地整齐,碎石路,树木,湖边的石墙和阳光下的湖水,远处是山峰。 —

I stood at the window looking out and when I turned away I saw Catherine was awake and watching me.
我站在窗前望出去,回头时看到凯瑟琳醒来,看着我。

“How are you, darling?” she said. “Isn’t it a lovely day?”
“亲爱的,你好吗?“她说。”今天天气多么美好啊。”

“How do you feel?”
“你感觉怎么样?”

“I feel very well. We had a lovely night.”
我感觉很好。我们度过了美好的夜晚。

“Do you want breakfast?”
“你想吃早餐吗?”

She wanted breakfast. So did I and we had it in bed, the November sunlight coming in the window, and the breakfast tray across my lap.
她想要早餐。我也想,我们就在床上吃了早餐,十一月的阳光透过窗户洒进来,早餐盘搁在我腿上。

“Don’t you want the paper? You always wanted the paper in the hospital?”
“你不想看报纸吗?你在医院里总是想看报纸的吧?”

“No,” I said. “I don’t want the paper now.”
“不,”我说,”我现在不想看报纸。”

“Was it so bad you don’t want even to read about it?”
“那么糟糕吗,连读关于它都不想?”

“I don’t want to read about it.”
“我不想读关于它的东西。”

“I wish I had been with you so I would know about it too.”
“我希望我和你在一起,这样我也会知道发生了什么。”

“I’ll tell you about it if I ever get it straight in my head.”
“如果我把头绪搞清楚了,我会告诉你的。”

“But won’t they arrest you if they catch you out of uniform?”
“但是如果他们发现你不穿制服就抓你,该怎么办?”

“They’ll probably shoot me.”
“他们可能会开枪打我。”

“Then we’ll not stay here. We’ll get out of the country.”
“那么我们不会待在这里。我们会离开这个国家。”

“I’d thought something of that.”
“我也曾考虑过这个问题。”

“We’ll get out. Darling, you shouldn’t take silly chances. —
“我们会离开。亲爱的,你不应该冒这种愚蠢的风险。” —

Tell me how did you come from Mestre to Milan?”
“告诉我,你是如何从梅斯特雷到米兰的?”

“I came on the train. I was in uniform then.”
“我是乘火车来的。那时我穿着制服。”

“Weren’t you in danger then?”
“那时候你不是很危险吗?”

“Not much. I had an old order of movement. I fixed the dates on it in Mestre.”
“没什么。我在梅斯特把日期改了。”

“Darling, you’re liable to be arrested here any time. I won’t have it. —
“亲爱的,你随时都可能被逮捕。我不能接受。” —

It’s silly to do something like that. Where would we be if they took you off?”
“这样做太愚蠢了。如果他们把你带走,我们会怎么办?”

“Let’s not think about it. I’m tired of thinking about it.”
“别想了。我已经厌倦了想这事。”

“What would you do if they came to arrest you?”
“如果他们来逮捕你,你会怎么办?”

“Shoot them.”
“开枪打死他们。”

“You see how silly you are, I won’t let you go out of the hotel until we leave here.”
“你看你多傻,在我们离开这里之前我是不会让你出酒店的。”

“Where are we going to go?”
“我们要去哪里?”

“Please don’t be that way, darling. We’ll go wherever you say. —
“亲爱的,请不要这样,我们会去你说的任何地方。” —

But please find some place to go right away.”
“但请立刻找个地方去。”

“Switzerland is down the lake, we can go there.”
“瑞士在湖那边,我们可以去那里。”

“That will be lovely.”
“那会很美好。”

It was clouding over outside and the lake was darkening.
外面开始乌云密布,湖水渐渐变暗。

“I wish we did not always have to live like criminals,” I said.
“我希望我们不总是像罪犯一样生活。”我说。

“Darling, don’t be that way. You haven’t lived like a criminal very long. —
“亲爱的,别这样。你并没有像罪犯一样生活很久。” —

And we never live like criminals. We’re going to have a fine time.”
“我们从来都不像罪犯那样生活。我们会玩得很开心的。”

“I feel like a criminal. I’ve deserted from the army.”
“我觉得自己像个罪犯。我从军队中逃离了。”

“Darling, please be sensible. It’s not deserting from the army. It’s only the Italian army.”
“亲爱的,请理智点。这不算是从军队逃离。那只是意大利军队而已。”

I laughed. “You’re a fine girl. Let’s get back into bed. I feel fine in bed.”
我笑了。“你是个好姑娘。我们回到床上吧。我在床上感觉很好。”

A little while later Catherine said, “You don’t feel like a criminal do you?”
过了一会儿,凯瑟琳说:“你不会觉得自己像个罪犯吧?”

“No,” I said. “Not when I’m with you.”
“不,”我说。”只要和你在一起,我就不会害怕。”

“You’re such a silly boy,” she said. “But I’ll look after you. —
“你真是个傻孩子,”她说。”但我会好好照顾你的。” —

Isn’t it splendid, darling, that I don’t have any morning-sickness?”
“亲爱的,我没有早孕反应,这真是太好了,不是吗?”

“It’s grand.”
“太棒了。”

“You don’t appreciate what a fine wife you have. But I don’t care. —
“你根本不知道你有多好的妻子。但我不在乎。” —

I’ll get you some place where they can’t arrest you and then we’ll have a lovely time.”
“我会找个地方,他们找不到你,然后我们会过得很愉快。”

“Let’s go there right away.”
“我们立刻去那儿吧。”

“We will, darling. I’ll go any place any time you wish.”
“好的,亲爱的。我会随时随地去任何地方,只要你愿意。”

“Let’s not think about anything.”
“我们什么都不想,好吗?”

“All right.”
“好的。”