The night I was to return to the front I sent the porter down to hold a seat for me on the train when it came from Turin. The train was to leave at midnight. —
我要返回前线的那个晚上,我让行李员去车站为我留个位置,等着从都灵开过来的火车。火车将在半夜离开。 —

It was made up at Turin and reached Milan about half-past ten at night and lay in the station until time to leave. —
火车在都灵组装好后,到了米兰大约晚上十点半,停在车站直到启程。 —

You had to be there when it came in, to get a seat. —
你必须在火车到站时在场,才能找到座位。 —

The porter took a friend with him, a machine-gunner on leave who worked in a tailor shop, and was sure that between them they could hold a place. —
行李员带了个朋友,一位休假中的机枪手,他在一个裁缝店工作,他们俩确信他们能保留一个位置。 —

I gave them money for platform tickets and had them take my baggage. There was a big rucksack and two musettes.
我给了他们钱买了站台票,让他们带走我的行李。有一个大背包和两个挎包。

I said good-by at the hospital at about five o’clock and went out. —
我在医院告别,大约五点左右就出发了。 —

The porter had my baggage in his lodge and I told him I would be at the station a little before midnight. —
行李员把我的行李放在他的门房里,我告诉他我会在午夜前一点点到车站。 —

His wife called me “Signorino” and cried. She wiped her eyes and shook hands and then cried again. —
他的妻子叫我“先生”,她哭了。她擦了擦眼睛,握了握手,然后又哭了。 —

I patted her on the back and she cried once more. —
我拍了拍她的背,她又哭了一次。 —

She had done my mending and was a very short dumpy, happy-faced woman with white hair. —
她给我做维修,一个非常矮胖、面带笑容的白发女人。 —

When she cried her whole face went to pieces. —
当她哭的时候,整张脸都乱了。 —

I went down to the corner where there was a wine shop and waited inside looking out the window. —
我走到角落里的一家酒吧等着,从窗户向外看。 —

It was dark outside and cold and misty. I paid for my coffee and grappa and I watched the people going by in the light from the window. —
外面又黑又冷,雾蒙蒙的。我付了咖啡和格拉帕的钱,看着窗外的行人。 —

I saw Catherine and knocked on the window. —
我看到凯瑟琳,敲了敲窗子。 —

She looked, saw me and smiled, and I went out to meet her. —
她看见了我,微笑着,我走出去迎接她。 —

She was wearing a dark blue cape and a soft felt hat. —
她穿着一件深蓝色披风和一顶柔软的毡帽。 —

We walked along together, along the sidewalk past the wine shops, then across the market square and up the street and through the archway to the cathedral square. —
我们一起沿着人行道走,经过酒馆,然后穿过市场广场,沿着街道走,穿过拱门到达大教堂广场。 —

There were streetcar tracks and beyond them was the cathedral. It was white and wet in the mist. —
我们穿过了有轨电车的轨道,轨道的另一边是大教堂。大教堂在雾中显得白色而潮湿。 —

We crossed the tram tracks. On our left were the shops, their windows lighted, and the entrance to the galleria. —
我们穿过有轨电车轨道。在我们左边是亮着灯光的商店窗户,以及通往画廊的入口。 —

There was a fog in the square and when we came close to the front of the cathedral it was very big and the stone was wet.
广场上有雾,当我们走近大教堂前面时,大教堂非常庞大,石头是湿的。

“Would you like to go in?”
“你想进去吗?”

“No,” Catherine said. We walked along. There was a soldier standing with his girl in the shadow of one of the stone buttresses ahead of us and we passed them. —
“不,” 凯瑟琳说。我们继续走。在我们前面的一个石拱柱的阴影下,有一名士兵和他的女友站着,我们走过他们。 —

They were standing tight up against the stone and he had put his cape around her.
他们紧贴着石头站着,他把披风围在她身上。

“They’re like us,” I said.
“他们像我们一样,” 我说。

“Nobody is like us,” Catherine said. She did not mean it happily.
“没有人像我们一样,” 凯瑟琳说。她说得并不开心。

“I wish they had some place to go.”
“我希望他们有地方可去。

“It mightn’t do them any good.”
“也许对他们没什么好处。

“I don’t know. Everybody ought to have some place to go.”
“我不知道。每个人都应该有一些地方可以去。

“They have the cathedral,” Catherine said. We were past it now. —
“他们有大教堂,” 凯瑟琳说。我们已经走过了大教堂。 —

We crossed the far end of the square and looked back at the cathedral. It was fine in the mist. —
我们穿过广场的远端,回头看着大教堂。在雾中它看起来很美。 —

We were standing in front of the leather goods shop. —
我们站在皮具店前面。 —

There were riding boots, a rucksack and ski boots in the window. —
橱窗里摆放着骑马靴、背包和滑雪靴。 —

Each article was set apart as an exhibit; —
每件物品都被单独展示; —

the rucksack in the centre, the riding boots on one side and the ski boots on the other. —
背包在中间,骑马靴在一侧,滑雪靴在另一侧。 —

The leather was dark and oiled smooth as a used saddle. —
皮革暗沉而光滑,就像用过的马鞍一样。 —

The electric light made high lights on the dull oiled leather.
电灯在油光皮革上产生耀眼的高光。

“We’ll ski some time.”
“我们会滑雪的一天。”

“In two months there will be ski-ing at Mflrren,” Catherine said.
“两个月后在默伦会有滑雪活动,” 凯瑟琳说。

“Let’s go there.”
“我们去那里吧。”

“All right,” she said. We went on past other windows and turned down a side street.
“好的,” 她说。我们继续走过其他的橱窗,转向了一条小巷。

“I’ve never been this way.”
“我从没走过这条路。”

“This is the way I go to the hospital,” I said. —
“这是我去医院的路,” 我说。 —

It was a narrow street and we kept on the right-hand side. —
这是一条狭窄的街道,我们一直走在右手边。 —

There were many people passing in the fog. There were shops and all the windows were lighted. —
有许多人在雾中匆匆而过。有商店,所有的窗户都亮着灯。 —

We looked in a window at a pile of cheeses. —
我们在一个窗户前看着一堆奶酪。 —

I stopped in front of an armorer’s shop.
我停在一家冶具店前。

“Come in a minute. I have to buy a gun.”
“进来一分钟。我得买支枪。”

“What sort of gun?”
“什么样的枪?”

“A pistol.” We went in and I unbuttoned my belt and laid it with the emply holster on the counter. —
“手枪。”我们走了进去,我解开腰带,把它和空的枪套放在柜台上。 —

Two women were behind the counter. The women brought out several pistols.
柜台后面有两个女人。女人拿出了几支手枪。

“It must fit this,” I said, opening the holster. —
“必须要配合这个,” 我打开枪套说。 —

It was a gray leather holster and I had bought it second-hand to wear in the town.
这是一个灰色的皮枪套,我买来是二手的,打算在城里佩戴。

“Have they good pistols?” Catherine asked.
“它们的手枪好吗?” 凯瑟琳问。

“They’re all about the same. Can I try this one?” I asked the woman.
“都差不多。我能试试这支吗?” 我问女人。

“I have no place now to shoot,” she said. —
“我现在没有地方射击,” 她说。 —

“But it is very good. You will not make a mistake with it.”
“但这非常好。你用它不会错的。”

I snapped it and pulled back the action. The spring was rather strong but it worked smoothly. —
我按下扳机并拉开枪机。弹簧有点硬,但操作很顺畅。 —

I sighted it and snapped it again.
我瞄准了一下,又扣动扳机。

“It is used,” the woman said. “It belonged to an officer who was an excellent shot.”
“这是二手的,” 女人说。 “原来是一个出色的射手军官的。”

“Did you sell it to him?”
“你卖给他了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“How did you get it back?”
“你是怎么拿回来的?”

“From his orderly.”
“从他的助理那里。”

“Maybe you have mine,” I said. “How much is this?”
“也许你拿到了我的,”我说。“这个多少钱?”

“Fifty lire. It is very cheap.”
“五十里拉。非常便宜。”

“All right. I want two extra clips and a box of cartridges.”
“好的。我要额外两个弹匣和一盒子弹。”

She brought them from under the counter.
她从柜台下拿了出来。

“Have you any need for a sword?” she asked. “I have some used swords very cheap.”
“你需要剑吗?”她问。“我有一些二手剑,非常便宜。”

“I’m going to the front,” I said.
“我要去前线,”我说。

“Oh yes, then you won’t need a sword,” she said.
“哦,是的,那么你不需要剑了,”她说。

I paid for the cartridges and the pistol, filled the magazine and put it in place, put the pistol in my empty holster, filled the extra clips with cartridges and put them in the leather slots on the holster and then buckled on my belt. —
我付了子弹和手枪的钱,装填了弹夹并把它放在位置上,把手枪放在空空的枪套里,把额外的弹匣装上子弹并放在枪套的皮套上,然后系好我的腰带。 —

The pistol felt heavy on the belt. Still, I thought, it was better to have a regulation pistol. —
手枪在腰带上感觉很重。不过,我想,还是拥有一把规格的手枪好。 —

You could always get shells.
你总可以找到子弹。

“Now we’re fully armed,” I said. “That was the one thing I had to remember to do. —
“现在我们全副武装,”我说。“这是我必须记得做的事情之一。 —

Some one got my other one going to the hospital.”
有人在去医院的路上把我的另一把拿走了。”

“I hope it’s a good pistol,” Catherine said.
“我希望它是一把好手枪,”凯瑟琳说。

“Was there anything else?” the woman asked.
“还有别的事吗?”那位女士问道。

“I don’t believe so.”
“我想没有了。”

“The pistol has a lanyard,” she said.
“这把手枪有绳子,”她说。

“So I noticed.”
“我注意到了。”

The woman wanted to sell something else.
那位女士想要卖其他东西。

“You don’t need a whistle?”
“你需要哨子吗?”

“I don’t believe so.”
“我想不需要。”

The woman said good-by and we went out onto the sidewalk. —
那位女士说了再见,我们走出了人行道。 —

Catherine looked in the window. The woman looked out and bowed to us.
凯瑟琳看向橱窗。那位女士向我们点头致意。

“What are those little mirrors set in wood for?”
“那些镶在木头上的小镜子是干什么用的?”

“They’re for attracting birds. They twirl them out in the field and larks see them and come out and the Italians shoot them.”
“那是用来吸引鸟的。他们在田野里旋转镜子,云雀看到后就会飞出来,意大利人就射杀它们。”

“They are an ingenious people,” Catherine said. “You don’t shoot larks do you, darling, in America?”
“他们是个聪明的民族,”凯瑟琳说。“亲爱的,在美国你们不射杀云雀吧?”

“Not especially.”
“特别没有。”

We crossed the street and started to walk up the other side.
我们穿过马路,开始沿着另一侧走上去。

“I feel better now,” Catherine said. “I felt terrible when we started.”
“凯瑟琳说:“我现在感觉好多了,我们开始的时候我感觉很糟糕。”

“We always feel good when we’re together.”
“我们在一起的时候总是感觉很好。”

“We always will be together.”
“我们永远都会在一起。”

“Yes, except that I’m going away at midnight.”
“是的,除了我要在午夜离开。”

“Don’t think about it, darling.”
“不要想这些,亲爱的。”

We walked on up the street. The fog made the lights yellow.
我们沿着街道走着。大雾让灯光变黄了。

“Aren’t you tired?” Catherine asked.
“你累了吗?”凯瑟琳问道。

“How about you?”
“你呢?”

“I’m all right. It’s fun to walk.”
“我还好,散步很有趣。”

“But let’s not do it too long.”
“但我们不要走太久。”

“No.”
“好的。”

We turned down a side street where there were no lights and walked in the street. —
我们拐进一条没有灯光的小街,走在马路上。 —

I stopped and kissed Catherine. While I kissed her I felt her hand on my shoulder. —
我停下来亲吻了凯瑟琳。当我吻她时,感觉到她的手放在了我的肩膀上。 —

She had pulled my cape around her so it covered both of us. —
她把我的披风拉过来,盖住了我们两个。 —

We were standing in the street against a high wall.
我们站在街上,躲在一堵高墙旁边。”

“Let’s go some place,” I said.
“我们去某个地方吧,”我说。

“Good,” said Catherine. We walked on along the street until it came out onto a wider street that was beside a canal. —
“好的,”凯瑟琳说。我们沿着街道继续走,直到走到一个靠着运河的更宽敞的街道。 —

On the other side was a brick wall and buildings. —
对面是一堵砖墙和建筑物。 —

Ahead, down the street, I saw a streetcar cross a bridge.
正前方,我看到一辆有人的电车过了一座桥。

“We can get a cab up at the bridge,” I said. —
“我们可以在桥上搭出租车,”我说。 —

We stood on the bridge in the fog waiting for a carriage. —
我们站在桥上的雾中等着马车。 —

Several streetcars passed, full of people going home. —
几辆满载回家的人的电车经过。 —

Then a carriage came along but there was some one in it. —
然后一辆马车驶来,但里面已经有了乘客。 —

The fog was turning to rain.
雾变成了雨。

“We could walk or take a tram,” Catherine said.
“我们可以走路或者乘电车,”凯瑟琳说。

“One will be along,” I said. “They go by here.”
“很快会有一个经过,”我说。“它们经过这里。”

“Here one comes,” she said.
“来了,”她说。

The driver stopped his horse and lowered the metal sign on his meter. —
马车夫停下马车,降下了计程器上的金属牌。 —

The top of the carriage was up and there were drops of water on the driver’s coat. —
马车的车顶已经拉起,马车夫的外衣上挂着雨滴。 —

His varnished hat was shining in the wet. —
他打着亮光的擦亮帽在雨中闪闪发光。 —

We sat back in the seat together and the top of the carriage made it dark.
我们一起坐在座位上,马车的顶部使得车厢变得昏暗。

“Where did you tell him to go?”
“你告诉他去哪里了?”

“To the station. There’s a hotel across from the station where we can go.”
“去车站。车站对面有一家酒店我们可以去。”

“We can go the way we are? Without luggage?”
“我们这样就可以去了吗?没有行李?”

“Yes,” I said.
“是的,”我说。

It was a long ride to the station up side streets in the rain.
在雨中,沿着小巷子开到车站还有一段很长的路程。

“Won’t we have dinner?” Catherine asked. “I’m afraid I’ll be hungry.”
“我们不用吃晚饭吗?” 凯瑟琳问道。”我怕会饿。”

“We’ll have it in our room.”
“我们会在房间里吃。”

“I haven’t anything to wear. I haven’t even a night-gown.”
“我没有任何衣服穿。我甚至没有睡衣。”

“We’ll get one,” I said and called to the driver.
“我们会买一件,”我说着对司机喊道。

“Go to the Via Manzoni and up that.” He nodded and turned off to the left at the next corner. —
“去Manzoni大街,然后往上走。”他点了点头,然后在下个拐角向左转了。 —

On the big street Catherine watched for a shop.
在大街上,凯瑟琳留意着商店。

“Here’s a place,” she said. I stopped the driver and Catherine got out, walked across the sidewalk and went inside. —
“这里有个地方,”她说着我停下马车,凯瑟琳走下车,穿过人行道走进去。 —

I sat back in the carriage and waited for her. —
我坐在马车里等待她。 —

It was raining and I could smell the wet street and the horse steaming in the rain. —
雨下得很大,我能闻到湿漉漉的街道和马在雨中冒出的蒸汽。 —

She came back with a package and got in and we drove on.
她拿着一个包回来上车,我们开车继续前行。

“I was very extravagant, darling,” she said, “but it’s a fine night-gown.”
“亲爱的,我当时真是太奢侈了,” 她说,”但这是一件很好的睡袍。”

At the hotel I asked Catherine to wait in the carriage while I went in and spoke to the manager. —
在旅馆我让凯瑟琳留在马车里,我自己进去找经理谈话。 —

There were plenty of rooms. Then I went out to the carriage, paid the driver, and Catherine and I walked in together. —
有很多房间。然后我出去找马车夫付钱,凯瑟琳和我一起走进去。 —

The small boy in buttons carried the package.
穿戴制服的小男孩拿着包。

The manager bowed us toward the elevator. —
经理领着我们走向电梯。 —

There was much red plush and brass. The manager went up in the elevator with us.
这里到处都是大量的红绒布和黄铜。经理和我们一起乘坐电梯上楼。

“Monsieur and Madame wish dinner in their rooms?”
“先生和夫人想在房间吃晚饭吗?”

“Yes. Will you have the menu brought up?” I said.
“是的。你们能把菜单送上来吗?” 我说。

“You wish something special for dinner. Some game or a souffl?”
“你们想要晚餐吗?比如一些野味或者一个舒芙蕾?”

The elevator passed three floors with a click each time, then clicked and stopped.
电梯发出了三声咔嗒声,然后停下了。

“What have you as game?”
“你们有什么野味?”

“I could get a pheasant, or a woodcock.”
“我可以弄到一只野鸡,或者一只小屎鸟。”

“A woodcock,” I said. We walked down the corridor. The carpet was worn. —
“一只小屎鸟,” 我说。我们走下走廊。地毯已经磨损。 —

There were many doors. The manager stopped and unlocked a door and opened it.
有很多扇门。经理停下来打开一扇门。

“Here you are. A lovely room.”
“给你。一个可爱的房间。”

The small boy in buttons put the package on the table in the centre of the room. —
穿着制服的小男孩把包放在房间中央的桌子上。 —

The manager opened the curtains.
经理拉开窗帘。

“It is foggy outside,” he said. The room was furnished in red plush. —
“外面很雾,”他说。房间里的家具全是红绒绒的。 —

There were many mirrors, two chairs and a large bed with a satin coverlet. —
有很多镜子,两把椅子,以及一张铺着缎子床单的大床。 —

A door led to the bathroom.
一扇门通往浴室。

“I will send up the menu,” the manager said. He bowed and went out.
“我会送上菜单,”经理说着鞠躬走了出去。

I went to the window and looked out, then pulled a cord that shut the thick plush curtains. —
我走到窗前望出去,然后拉了一根绳子,关上厚厚的绒绒窗帘。 —

Catherine was sitting on the bed, looking at the cut glass chandelier. —
凯瑟琳坐在床上,看着切割玻璃吊灯。 —

She had taken her hat off and her hair shone under the light. —
她已经脱掉帽子,头发在灯光下闪闪发光。 —

She saw herself in one of the mirrors and put her hands to her hair. —
她在镜子里看到了自己,用手拨弄头发。 —

I saw her in three other mirrors. She did not look happy. —
我在其他三面镜子里看到了她。她看起来并不开心。 —

She let her cape fall on the bed.
她让披肩落在床上。

“What’s the matter, darling?”
“怎么了,亲爱的?”

“I never felt like a whore before,” she said. —
“我以前从来没有感觉像个妓女,”她说。 —

I went over to the window and pulled the curtain aside and looked out. —
我走到窗前拉开窗帘往外看去。 —

I had not thought it would be like this.
我没想到会是这样。

“You’re not a whore.”
“你不是妓女。”

“I know it, darling. But it isn’t nice to feel like one.” Her voice was dry and flat.
“我知道,亲爱的。但感觉像是妓女并不好。” 她的声音干燥而平淡。

“This was the best hotel we could get in,” I said. I looked out the window. —
“这是我们能找到的最好的酒店了,” 我说着。我朝窗外看去。 —

Across the square were the lights of the station. —
广场那边是车站的灯光。 —

There were carriages going by on the street and I saw the trees in the park. —
街上有马车经过,我看到了公园里的树。 —

The lights from the hotel shone on the wet pavement. —
酒店的灯光照在潮湿的人行道上。 —

Oh, hell, I thought, do we have to argue now?
哦,该死,我想,我们现在真的要吵架吗?

“Come over here please,” Catherine said. The flatness was all gone out of her voice. —
“请过来一下,” 凯瑟琳说。她声音中的平淡完全消失了。 —

“Come over, please. I’m a good girl again.” —
“请过来,我又变成了好女孩。” —

I looked over at the bed. She was smiling.
我看向床边。她在微笑。

I went over and sat on the bed beside her and kissed her.
我走过去坐在她旁边的床上并亲吻她。

“You’re my good girl.”
“你是我的好女孩。”

“I’m certainly yours,” she said.
“我当然是你的,” 她说。

After we had eaten we felt fine, and then after, we felt very happy and in a little time the room felt like our own home. —
吃过饭后,我们感觉不错,然后感到非常开心,不一会儿这个房间就感觉像是我们自己的家。 —

My room at the hospital had been our own home and this room was our home too in the same way.
在医院的房间曾是我们的家,同样,这个房间也是我们的家。

Catherine wore my tunic over her shoulders while we ate. —
卡瑟琳用我的外衣围在肩上吃饭。 —

We were very hungry and the meal was good and we drank a bottle of Capri and a bottle of St. Estephe. —
我们非常饥饿,饭菜很美味,我们喝了一瓶卡布里和一瓶圣埃斯泰夫。 —

I drank most of it but Catherine drank some and it made her feel splendid. —
我喝了大部分,但凯瑟琳喝了一些,它让她感觉很棒。 —

For dinner we had a woodcock with souffl? —
晚餐我们吃了一只木石鹧鸪,配有舒芙蕾土豆和栗泥,一份沙拉,以及作为甜点的马苏博涅。 —

potatoes and pur閑 de marron, a salad, and zabaione for dessert.
我们很欣赏这顿饭,尤其是可口的甜点。

“It’s a fine room,” Catherine said. “It’s a lovely room. —
“这是一个不错的房间,” 凯瑟琳说。”这是一个可爱的房间。” —

We should have stayed here all the time we’ve been in Milan.”
“我们应该一直呆在这里才对,自从我们来米兰以来。”

“It’s a funny room. But it’s nice.”
“这是一个有趣的房间。但很好。”

“Vice is a wonderful thing,” Catherine said. —
“邪恶是一件美妙的事,” 凯瑟琳说。 —

“The people who go in for it seem to have good taste about it. —
“那些喜欢这种事情的人似乎在品位方面很不错。 —

The red plush is really fine. It’s just the thing. —
红绒布真的很棒。简直太合适了。 —

And the mirrors are very attractive.”
并且镜子非常吸引人。”

“You’re a lovely girl.”
“你是一个可爱的女孩。”

“I don’t know how a room like this would be for waking up in the morning. —
“我不知道这样的房间早上醒来会是什么感觉。 —

But it’s really a splendid room.” I poured another glass of St. Estephe.
但这真是一个宏伟的房间。”我又倒了一杯圣埃斯特夫红酒。

“I wish we could do something really sinful,” Catherine said. —
“我希望我们能做一些真正罪恶的事,” 凯瑟琳说。 —

“Everything we do seems so innocent and simple. —
“我们做的每件事似乎都很无辜和简单。 —

I can’t believe we do anything wrong.”
我不能相信我们会做错什么。”

“You’re a grand girl.”
“你是一个了不起的女孩。”

“I only feel hungry. I get terribly hungry.”
“我只是感觉饥饿。我非常饥饿。”

“You’re a fine simple girl,” I said.
“你是个很简单的女孩,”我说道。

“I am a simple girl. No one ever understood it except you.”
“我是个简单的女孩。除了你,没有人能理解。”

“Once when I first met you I spent an afternoon thinking how we would go to the Hotel Cavour together and how it would be.”
“有次我们刚认识时,我花了一个下午想着我们会一起去卡沃尔酒店,会怎么样。”

“That was awfully cheeky of you. This isn’t the Cavour is it?”
“你那时太胆大了。这里可不是卡沃尔酒店吧?”

“No. They wouldn’t have taken us in there.”
“不是。他们绝不会让我们进去。”

“They’ll take us in some time. But that’s how we differ, darling. I never thought about anything.”
“总会有一天让我们进去的。但这就是我们的不同,亲爱的。我从不想太多。”

“Didn’t you ever at all?”
“你真的一点都没有想过吗?”

“A little,” she said.
“一点点,”她说。

“Oh you’re a lovely girl.”
“哦,你是个可爱的女孩。”

I poured another glass of wine.
我倒了另一杯酒。

“I’m a very simple girl,” Catherine said.
“我是个非常简单的女孩,”凯瑟琳说。

“I didn’t think so at first. I thought you were a crazy girl.”
“起初我不这么认为。我以为你是个疯狂的女孩。”

“I was a little crazy. But I wasn’t crazy in any complicated manner. —
“我有点疯狂。但并不是以任何复杂的方式。” —

I didn’t confuse you did I, darling?”
我没有让你困惑,亲爱的,对吗?”

“Wine is a grand thing,” I said. “It makes you forget all the bad.”
“葡萄酒真是了不起的东西,”我说。“它让你忘记所有不好的事。”

“It’s lovely,” said Catherine. “But it’s given my father gout very badly.”
“这很可爱,” 凯瑟琳说道。”但是给我父亲的痛风病情恶化了。”

“Have you a father?”
“你有父亲吗?”

“Yes,” said Catherine. “He has gout. You won’t ever have to meet him. Haven’t you a father?”
“有,” 凯瑟琳说道。”他有痛风。你永远不会见到他。你有父亲吗?”

“No,” I said. “A step-father.”
“没有,” 我说道。”继父。”

“Will I like him?”
“我会喜欢他吗?”

“You won’t have to meet him.”
“你不必见他。”

“We have such a fine time,” Catherine said. —
“我们玩得很开心,” 凯瑟琳说道。 —

“I don’t take any interest in anything else any more. —
我对其他任何事情都不再感兴趣。 —

I’m so very happy married to you.”
和你结婚,我非常幸福。

The waiter came and took away the things. —
侍者过来端走了东西。 —

After a while we were very still and we could hear the rain. —
过了一会儿,我们静得很,听得见雨声。 —

Down below on the street a motor car honked.
楼下街上一辆汽车按喇叭。

”‘But at my back I always hear Time’s winged chariot hurrying near,’ “ I said.
“‘然而我背后总感到时光的轻轻飞奔,’”我说。

“I know that poem,” Catherine said. “It’s by Marvell. —
“我知道那首诗,” 凯瑟琳说。”是玛维尔的。 —

But it’s about a girl who wouldn’t live with a man.”
但是那是关于一个不愿意与男人在一起的女孩子的。

My head felt very clear and cold and I wanted to talk facts.
我的头感觉清晰而冷,我想谈谈事实。

“Where will you have the baby?”
“你打算在哪里生孩子?”

“I don’t know. The best place I can find.”
“我不知道。我会找到最好的地方。”

“How will you arrange it?”
“你会怎么安排?”

“The best way I can. Don’t worry, darling. We may have several babies before the war is over.”
“我会尽力而为。别担心,亲爱的。在战争结束之前,我们也许会有好几个孩子。”

“It’s nearly time to go.”
“差不多该走了。”

“I know. You can make it time if you want.”
“我知道。如果你愿意,现在可以是时候了。”

“No.”
“不。”

“Then don’t worry, darling. You were fine until now and now you’re worrying.”
“那就不要担心,亲爱的。你一直都很好,现在也不用担心。”

“I won’t. How often will you write?”
“我不会。你会每天写信吗?”

“Every day. Do they read your letters?”
“会的。他们读得懂你的信吗?”

“They can’t read English enough to hurt any.”
“他们英语水平不足以理解足以伤害任何人。”

“I’ll make them very confusing,” Catherine said.
“我会把它们写得很混乱,“凯瑟琳说。

“But not too confusing.”
“但不要太混乱。”

“I’ll just make them a little confusing.”
“我只会稍微混乱一点。”

“I’m afraid we have to start to go.”
“恐怕我们得开始启程了。”

“All right, darling.”
“好的,亲爱的。”

“I hate to leave our fine house.”
“我不愿离开我们漂亮的房子。”

“So do I.”
“我也是。”

“But we have to go.”
“但我们必须离开。”

“All right. But we’re never settled in our home very long.”
“好的。但是我们从来没有在家里长时间安顿下来过。”

“We will be.”
“我们会的。”

“I’ll have a fine home for you when you come back.”
“当你回来时,我会为你准备一所漂亮的家。”

“Maybe I’ll be back right away.”
“也许我会马上回来。”

“Perhaps you’ll be hurt just a little in the foot.”
“也许你的脚会受点轻伤。”

“Or the lobe of the ear.”
“或许是耳垂。”

“No I want your ears the way they are.”
“不,我想要你的耳朵现在的样子。”

“And not my feet?”
“难道不是我的脚吗?”

“Your feet have been hit already.”
“你的脚已经受伤了。”

“We have to go, darling. Really.”
“亲爱的,我们必须走了。”

“All right. You go first.”
“好的,你先走。”