That night a bat flew into the room through the open door that led onto the balcony and through which we watched the night over the roofs of the town. —
那天晚上,一只蝙蝠从通向阳台的敞开的门飞进了房间,我们透过这个门看着城镇屋顶上的夜色。 —

It was dark in our room except for the small light of the night over the town and the bat was not frightened but hunted in the room as though he had been outside. —
在我们的房间里很黑,除了城镇夜色的微弱光线,蝙蝠并不害怕,却在房间里像在外面一样捕食。 —

We lay and watched him and I do not think he saw us because we lay so still. —
我们躺着看着他,我觉得他没有看到我们,因为我们一动不动。 —

After he went out we saw a searchlight come on and watched the beam move across the sky and then go off and it was dark again. —
他飞出去后,我们看到一个探照灯亮了起来,光束在天空中移动然后熄灭,又黑暗了。 —

A breeze came in the night and we heard the men of the anti-aircraft gun on the next roof talking. —
夜里吹来一阵微风,我们听见隔壁屋顶上防空炮的士兵们在说话。 —

It was cool and they were putting on their capes. —
天凉了,他们穿上了斗篷。 —

I worried in the night about some one coming up but Catherine said they were all asleep. —
我在夜里担心有人会上来,但凯瑟琳说他们都睡着了。 —

Once in the night we went to sleep and when I woke she was not there but I heard her coming along the hall and the door opened and she came back to the bed and said it was all right she had been downstairs and they were all asleep. —
夜里有一次我们睡着了,醒来时她不在床上,但我听见她沿着走廊走来,门打开了,她回到床上说没事,她下楼了,他们都睡着了。 —

She had been outside Miss Van Campen’s door and heard her breathing in her sleep. —
她在范坎本小姐的门外听见她在睡觉时的呼吸声。 —

She brought crackers and we ate them and drank some vermouth. —
她拿来了饼干,我们吃了,喝了一些苦艾酒。 —

We were very hungry but she said that would all have to be gotten out of me in the morning. —
我们非常饥饿,但她说早上要把这些都散掉。 —

I went to sleep again in the morning when it was light and when I was awake I found she was gone again. —
早上又睡了一觉,天亮时醒来,发现她又走了。 —

She came in looking fresh and lovely and sat on the bed and the sun rose while I had the thermometer in my mouth and we smelled the dew on the roofs and then the coffee of the men at the gun on the next roof.
她走进来,看起来清新可爱,坐在床上,太阳升起时我在嘴里握着体温计,我们闻到屋顶上的露水和隔壁屋顶上防空炮士兵们的咖啡味道。

“I wish we could go for a walk,” Catherine said. “I’d wheel you if we had a chair.”
“我希望我们能出去散散步,”凯瑟琳说。“如果我们有把椅子,我就能推你。”

“How would I get into the chair?”
“我怎么进入椅子呢?”

“We’d do it.”
“我们会做的。”

“We could go out to the park and have breakfast outdoors.” I looked out the open doorway.
“我们可以出去公园,在户外吃早餐。”我朝着敞开的门口望去。

“What we’ll really do,” she said, “is get you ready for your friend Dr. Valentini.”
“我们真正要做的是准备你见你的朋友瓦伦蒂尼博士。”

“I thought he was grand.”
“我觉得他很了不起。”

“I didn’t like him as much as you did. But I imagine he’s very good.”
“我不像你那样喜欢他。不过我想他肯定很厉害。”

“Come back to bed, Catherine. Please,” I said.
“凯瑟琳,回到床上来吧。拜托,”我说。

“I can’t. Didn’t we have a lovely night?”
“我不能。我们昨晚很美好吧?”

“And can you be on night duty to-night?”
“今晚你能值夜班吗?”

“I probably will. But you won’t want me.”
“我很可能会。但是你可能不想我在。”

“Yes, I will.”
“是的,我会的。”

“No, you won’t. You’ve never been operated on. You don’t know how you’ll be.”
“不,你不会。你从来没有接受过手术。你不知道自己会怎么样。”

“I’ll be all right.”
“我会没事的。”

“You’ll be sick and I won’t be anything to you.”
“你会感到难受,而我对你来说也毫无帮助。”

“Come back then now.”
“现在就回来吧。”

“No,” she said. “I have to do the chart, darling, and fix you up.”
“不,亲爱的,”她说。“我得整理病历,并给你做准备。”

“You don’t really love me or you’d come back again.”
“你并不真的爱我,否则你会再回来的。”

“You’re such a silly boy.” She kissed me. “That’s all right for the chart. —
“你真是个傻孩子。” 她吻了我。”这对排行榜来说没关系。 —

Your temperature’s always normal. You’ve such a lovely temperature.”
“你的体温总是正常的。你的体温真是太好了。”

“You’ve got a lovely everything.”
“你一切都很美丽。”

“Oh no. You have the lovely temperature. I’m awfully proud of your temperature.”
“哦不。你的体温是多么美好。我为你的体温感到非常自豪。”

“Maybe all our children will have fine temperatures.”
“也许我们所有的孩子体温都会很好。”

“Our children will probably have beastly temperatures.”
“我们的孩子可能会有很糟糕的体温。”

“What do you have to do to get me ready for Valentini?”
“你为了让我准备好Valentini要做些什么?”

“Not much. But quite unpleasant.”
“没什么。但相当不愉快。”

“I wish you didn’t have to do it.”
“我希望你不必这样做。”

“I don’t. I don’t want any one else to touch you. I’m silly. I get furious if they couch you.”
“我不想让别人碰你。我很傻。如果他们碰你我就会发火。”

“Even Ferguson?”
“甚至弗格森?”

“Especially Ferguson and Gage and the other, what’s her name?”
“尤其是弗格森和盖奇,还有其他那个,她叫什么名字?”

“Walker?”
“沃克?”

“That’s it. They’ve too many nurses here now. —
“就是她。他们这里的护士太多了。” —

There must be some more patients or they’ll send us away. —
必须有更多的病人,否则他们会把我们赶走。 —

They have four nurses now.”
他们现在有四名护士。

“Perhaps there’ll be some. They need that many nurses. It’s quite a big hospital.”
也许会有一些。他们需要那么多护士。这是很大的医院。

“I hope some will come. What would I do if they sent me away? —
我希望会有一些来。如果他们把我赶走了,那我该怎么办呢? —

They will unless there are more patients.”
除非有更多的病人,否则他们就会赶走我们。

“I’d go too.”
我也会离开。

“Don’t be silly. You can’t go yet. But get well quickly, darling, and we will go somewhere.”
别傻了。你不能现在就走。但是快点康复,亲爱的,我们会到某个地方去。

“And then what?”
然后呢?

“Maybe the war will be over. It can’t always go on.”
也许战争会结束。它不可能一直持续下去。

“I’ll get well,” I said. “Valentini will fix me.”
我会康复的,”我说。”瓦伦蒂尼会治好我的。

“He should with those mustaches. And, darling, when you’re going under the ether just think about something else–not us. —
他应该会的,那些大胡子。亲爱的,在你进麻醉的时候,请不要想着我们。 —

Because people get very blabby under an anaesthetic.”
因为人在麻醉状态下会变得多嘴。

“What should I think about?”
那我应该想什么呢?

“Anything. Anything but us. Think about your people. Or even any other girl.”
任何事情。除了我们之外的任何事情。想想你的家人。甚至是其他女孩。

“No.”
不。

“Say your prayers then. That ought to create a splendid impression.”
“那就做祈祷吧。这样会给人留下深刻的印象。”

“Maybe I won’t talk.”
“也许我不会说话。”

“That’s true. Often people don’t talk.”
“确实。人们经常不说话。”

“I won’t talk.”
“我不会说话。”

“Don’t brag, darling. Please don’t brag. You’re so sweet and you don’t have to brag.”
“别吹嘘,亲爱的。请不要吹嘘。你是如此可爱,不必吹嘘。”

“I won’t talk a word.”
“我一句都不会说。”

“Now you’re bragging, darling. You know you don’t need to brag. —
“现在你在吹嘘,亲爱的。你知道你不需要吹嘘。” —

Just start your prayers or poetry or something when they tell you to breathe deeply. —
只是在他们告诉你深呼吸的时候开始祈祷或朗诵诗歌之类的。 —

You’ll be lovely that way and I’ll be so proud of you. I’m very proud of you anyway. —
这样你会很可爱,我会为你感到骄傲。无论如何,我已经为你感到非常自豪。 —

You have such a lovely temperature and you sleep like a little boy with your arm around the pillow and think it’s me. —
你有这样美好的体温,睡觉时像一个手臂搂着枕头以为是我的小男孩,也许你觉得是我。 —

Or is it some other girl? Some fine Italian girl?”
还是别的女孩?一位很好的意大利女孩?“

“It’s you.”
“是你。”

“Of course it’s me. Oh I do love you and Valentini will make you a fine leg. —
“当然是你。哦,我真的爱你,瓦伦提尼会为你做一条漂亮的腿。” —

I’m glad I don’t have to watch it.”
“我很高兴不必看着。”

“And you’ll be on night duty to-night.”
“今晚你将值夜班。”

“Yes. But you won’t care.”
“是的。但你不会在乎的。”

“You wait and see.”
“你等着瞧吧。”

“There, darling. Now you’re all clean inside and out. Tell me. How many people have you ever loved?”
“亲爱的,现在你里外都干净了。告诉我,你到底爱过多少人?”

“Nobody.”
“没有人。”

“Not me even?”
“连我也没有吗?”

“Yes, you.”
“有,连你在内。”

“How many others really?”
“还有多少其他人?”

“None.”
“没有。”

“How many have you–how do you say it?–stayed with?”
“你有多少人–你怎么说来着?–继续在一起?”

“None.”
“没有。”

“You’re lying to me.”
“你在骗我。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“It’s all right. Keep right on lying to me. That’s what I want you to do. Were they pretty?”
“没关系。继续对我撒谎吧。那是我想要的。他们漂亮吗?”

“I never stayed with any one.”
“我从未和任何人在一起过。”

“That’s right. Were they very attractive?”
“没错。他们很有魅力吗?”

“I don’t know anything about it.”
“我对此一无所知。”

“You’re just mine. That’s true and you’ve never belonged to any one else. —
“你只属于我。这是真的,你从未属于其他任何人。” —

But I don’t care if you have. I’m not afraid of them. But don’t tell me about them. —
“但我不在乎你是否曾属于别人。我不怕他们。但不要告诉我关于他们的事情。” —

When a man stays with a girl when does she say how much it costs?”
“当一个男人和一个女孩在一起时,她什么时候会说出花费的多少?”

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“Of course not. Does she say she loves him? Tell me that. I want to know that.”
“当然不会。她会说她爱他吗?告诉我。我想知道。”

“Yes. If he wants her to.”
“会的。如果他想要的话。”

“Does he say he loves her? Tell me please. It’s important.”
“他会说他爱她吗?请告诉我。这很重要。”

“He does if he wants to.”
“如果他想要的话,会的。”

“But you never did? Really?”
“但你从来没说过?真的吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Not really. Tell me the truth.”
“真的吗。告诉我实话。”

“No,” I lied.
“没有,”我撒了个谎。

“You wouldn’t,” she said. “I knew you wouldn’t. Oh, I love you, darling.”
“你不会的,”她说。”我就知道你不会。哦,我爱你,亲爱的。”

Outside the sun was up over the roofs and I could see the points of the cathedral with the sunlight on them. —
在外面,太阳已经升起,阳光照在屋顶和大教堂的尖顶上。 —

I was clean inside and outside and waiting for the doctor.
我里外都干净,等待着医生。

“And that’s it?” Catherine said. “She says just what he wants her to?”
“就这样?”凯瑟琳说。“她说的只是他想要听的?”

“Not always.”
“并不总是。”

“But I will. I’ll say just what you wish and I’ll do what you wish and then you will never want any other girls, will you?” —
“但我会。我会说你想要听的,做你想要做的,然后你就再也不会想要其他女孩了,对吗?” —

She looked at me very happily. “I’ll do what you want and say what you want and then I’ll be a great success, won’t I?”
她看着我非常开心。“我会做你想要的,说你想要听的,然后我会大获成功,是吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“What would you like me to do now that you’re all ready?”
“既然你已经准备好了,你想我现在做什么?”

“Come to the bed again.”
“再来到床上。”

“All right. I’ll come.”
“好吧。我来了。”

“Oh, darling, darling, darling,” I said.
“哦,亲爱的,亲爱的,亲爱的。”我说。

“You see,” she said. “I do anything you want.”
“你看,”她说。“我会做你想要的任何事。”

“You’re so lovely.”
“你是如此可爱。”

“I’m afraid I’m not very good at it yet.”
“我怕我做得还不够好。”

“You’re lovely.”
“你很可爱。”

“I want what you want. There isn’t any me any more. Just what you want.”
“我想要你想要的。再也没有我的存在了。只有你想要的。”

“You sweet.”
“你真甜。”

“I’m good. Aren’t I good? You don’t want any other girls, do you?”
“我很好。我很好吧?你不想要别的女孩,对吧?”

“No.”
“不。”

“You see? I’m good. I do what you want.”
“你看?我很好。我做你想要的事。”