Now in the fall the trees were all bare and the roads were muddy. —
现在是秋天,树都光秃秃的,道路泥泞不堪。 —

I rode to Gorizia from Udine on a camion. —
我乘坐卡车从乌迪内到戈里齐亚。 —

We passed other camions on the road and I looked at the country. —
我们在路上超过了其他卡车,我看着窗外的风景。 —

The mulberry trees were bare and the fields were brown. —
桑树光秃秃的,田野土黄一片。 —

There were wet dead leaves on the road from the rows of bare trees and men were working on the road, tamping stone in the ruts from piles of crushed stone along the side of the road between the trees. —
道路上有湿漉漉的枯叶,从光秃秃的树木间和压碎石块堆放在路边的地方,可以看到有人在修路,填补车辙。 —

We saw the town with a mist over it that cut off the mountains. —
我们看到笼罩在小镇上空的薄雾,把山脉切割开。 —

We crossed the river and I saw that it was running high. It had been raining in the mountains. —
我们过了河,看到河水很急。山上下了雨。 —

We came into the town past the factories and then the houses and villas and I saw that many more houses had been hit. —
我们经过工厂,然后是房屋和别墅,我看到更多的房子被炸毁了。 —

On a narrow street we passed a British Red Cross ambulance. —
在一条狭窄的街道上,我们超过了一辆英国红十字救护车。 —

The driver wore a cap and his face was thin and very tanned. I did not know him. —
司机戴着帽子,脸很瘦,晒得很黑。我不认识他。 —

I got down from the camion in the big square in front of the Town Major’s house, the driver handed down my rucksack and I put it on and swung on the two musettes and walked to our villa. —
我从卡车上下来,站在市长大楼前的大广场上,司机把我的背包递给我,我背上它,挂着两只背包走向我们的别墅。 —

It did not feel like a homecoming.
这并不像回家一样。

I walked down the damp gravel driveway looking at the villa through the trees. —
我走在潮湿的碎石车道上,透过树木看着别墅。 —

The windows were all shut but the door was open. —
窗户都关着,但门是开着的。 —

I went in and found the major sitting at a table in the bare room with maps and typed sheets of paper on the wall.
我走进去,发现主人正坐在光秃秃的房间里的一张桌子旁,墙上挂着地图和打印的纸张。

“Hello,” he said. “How are you?” He looked older and drier.
“你好,”他说。“你好吗?”他看起来老了,皱纹更多了。

“I’m good,” I said. “How is everything?”
“我很好,”我说。“一切都好吗?”

“It’s all over,” he said. “Take off your kit and sit down.” —
“一切都结束了,”他说。“脱下你的装备,坐下来。” —

I put my pack and the two musettes on the floor and my cap on the pack. —
我把背包和两个小口袋放在地板上,把帽子放在背包上。 —

I brought the other chair over from the wall and sat down by the desk.
我从墙边把另一把椅子搬到桌子旁坐下。

“It’s been a bad summer,” the major said. “Are you strong now?”
“这是一个糟糕的夏天,”少校说。“你现在强壮吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Did you ever get the decorations?”
“你有没有拿到勋章?”

“Yes. I got them fine. Thank you very much.”
“是的。我顺利拿到了。非常感谢你。”

“Let’s see them.”
“让我看看。”

I opened my cape so he could see the two ribbons.
我打开大衣,让他看见两条丝带。

“Did you get the boxes with the medals?”
“你有没有收到勋章的盒子?”

“No. Just the papers.”
“没有。只有文件。”

“The boxes will come later. That takes more time.”
“盒子以后会送过来的。那需要更多时间。”

“What do you want me to do?”
“你希望我做什么?”

“The cars are all away. There are six up north at Caporetto. You know Caporetto?”
“车辆都已经离开了。有六辆在卡波雷托北部。你知道卡波雷托吗?”

“Yes,” I said. I remembered it as a little white town with a campanile in a valley. —
“知道,“我说。我记得它是一个山谷里有钟楼的白色小镇。 —

It was a clean little town and there was a fine fountain in the square.
那是一个干净的小镇,广场上有一个漂亮的喷泉。

“They are working from there. There are many sick now. The fighting is over.”
“他们正在那里工作。现在有很多病人。战斗已经结束了。”

“Where are the others?”
“其他的车辆在哪里?”

“There are two up in the mountains and four still on the Bainsizza. —
“有两辆在山上,还有四辆仍在拜恩西扎。” —

The other two ambulance sections are in the Carso with the third army.”
另外两支救护车小组在卡尔索与第三军团一起。

“What do you wish me to do?”
“你希望我做什么?”

“You can go and take over the four cars on the Bainsizza if you like. —
“如果愿意,你可以去接管拜恩西扎上的四辆车。 —

Gino has been up there a long time. You haven’t seen it up there, have you?”
吉诺在那里待了很长时间。你没去过那里,对吧?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“It was very bad. We lost three cars.”
“那里情况非常糟糕。我们损失了三辆车。”

“I heard about it.”
“我听说了。”

“Yes, Rinaldi wrote you.”
“是的,里纳尔迪给你写信了。”

“Where is Rinaldi?”
“里纳尔迪在哪里?”

“He is here at the hospital. He has had a summer and fall of it.”
他在医院这里。他经历了一个夏天和一个秋天。

“I believe it.”
我相信。

“It has been bad,” the major said. “You couldn’t believe how bad it’s been. —
主要说,“情况很糟糕。你无法想象有多糟。 —

I’ve often thought you were lucky to be hit when you were.”
我常常觉得你被击中时是幸运的。”

“I know I was.”
“我知道我当时是幸运的。”

“Next year will be worse,” the major said. “Perhaps they will attack now. —
主要说,“明年会更糟,也许他们现在就会进攻。 —

They say they are to attack but I can’t believe it. —
他们说他们要进攻,但我无法相信。” —

It is too late. You saw the river?”
现在已经太迟了。你看到河水了吗?”

“Yes. It’s high already.”
“是的。已经涨得很高了。”

“I don’t believe they will attack now that the rains have started. We will have the snow soon. —
“我不相信他们现在会进攻,因为雨季已经开始了。我们很快就会有雪。 —

What about your countrymen? Will there be other Americans besides yourself?”
你的同胞们呢?除了你之外会有其他美国人吗?”

“They are training an army of ten million.”
“他们正在训练一支一千万人的军队。”

“I hope we get some of them. But the French will hog them all. We’ll never get any down here. —
“希望我们能得到其中一部分。但法国人会垄断他们所有。我们在这里永远得不到任何人。 —

All right. You stay here to-night and go out to-morrow with the little car and send Gino back. —
“好吧。你今晚留在这里,明天用小车出发,再把吉诺送回来。 —

I’ll send somebody with you that knows the road. Gino will tell you everything. —
我会派人和你一起去,了解一切。吉诺会告诉你所有的事情。 —

They are shelling quite a little still but it is all over. —
他们仍在不断炮击,但已经结束了。 —

You will want to see the Bainsizza.”
你会想看看拜恩西扎。

“I’m glad to see it. I am glad to be back with you again, Signor Maggiore.”
“我很高兴看到你。很高兴再次与你在一起,上尉。”

He smiled. “You are very good to say so. I am very tired of this war. —
他微笑道:“你这么说真是太好了。我对这场战争感到非常疲倦。” —

If I was away I do not believe I would come back.”
如果我离开了,我不相信我会回来。

“Is it so bad?”
“是这么糟糕吗?”

“Yes. It is so bad and worse. Go get cleaned up and find your friend Rinaldi.”
“是的。非常糟糕,更糟。去洗个澡,找找你的朋友里纳尔迪。”

I went out and carried my bags up the stairs. —
我走出去,把包提上楼梯。 —

Rinaldi was not in the room but his things were there and I sat down on the bed and unwrapped my puttees and took the shoe off my right foot. —
里纳尔迪不在房间里,但他的东西在那里,我坐在床上解开了绷带,脱下了右脚的鞋子。 —

Then I lay back on the bed. I was tired and my right foot hurt. —
然后我躺在床上。我很累,右脚很疼。 —

It seemed silly to lie on the bed with one shoe off, so I sat up and unlaced the other shoe and dropped it on the floor, then lay back on the blanket again. —
把一只鞋脱掉躺在床上似乎很傻,所以我坐起来,解开另一只鞋,扔在地板上,然后再次躺在毯子上。 —

The room was stuffy with the window closed but I was too tired to get up and open it. —
房间里因为窗户关闭而变得闷热,但我太累了,没力气起来把窗户打开。 —

I saw my things were all in one corner of the room. Outside it was getting dark. —
我看到我的东西都放在房间的一个角落里。外面开始变暗了。 —

I lay on the bed and thought about Catherine and waited for Rinaldi. —
我躺在床上想着凯瑟琳,等待着里纳尔迪。 —

I was going to try not to think about Catherine except at night before I went to sleep. —
我打算白天尽量不去想凯瑟琳,只留在晚上睡觉前。 —

But now I was tired and there was nothing to do, so I lay and thought about her. —
但现在我累了,也没什么事可做,于是我躺下想起了她。 —

I was thinking about her when Rinaldi came in. —
当里纳尔迪进来的时候,我正在想她。 —

He looked just the same. Perhaps he was a little thinner.
他看起来还是一样。也许瘦了一点点。

“Well, baby,” he said. I sat up on the bed. He came over, sat down and put his arm around me. —
“好啦,亲爱的,” 他说。我坐起来。他走过来,坐下来,伸出胳膊搂住我。 —

“Good old baby.” He whacked me on the back and I held both his arms.
“好乖啊。” 他在我背上拍了一下,我握住他的两只胳膊。

“Old baby,” he said. “Let me see your knee.”
“乖宝贝,” 他说。 “让我看看你的膝盖。”

“I’ll have to take off my pants.”
“我得脱下裤子。”

“Take off your pants, baby. We’re all friends here. I want to see what kind of a job they did.” —
“脱裤子,乖宝贝。我们都是朋友。我想看看他们是怎么治疗的。” —

I stood up, took off the breeches and pulled off the knee-brace. —
我站起来,脱掉裤子,取下膝盖支架。 —

Rinaldi sat on the floor and bent the knee gently back and forth. He ran his finger along the scar; —
里纳尔迪坐在地板上,轻轻地来回弯曲膝盖。他沿着伤疤用手指滑动; —

put his thumbs together over the kneecap and rocked the knee gently with his fingers.
用大拇指在髌骨上放在一起,用手指轻轻摇动膝盖。

“Is that all the articulation you have?”
“你能够活动吗?”

“Yes.”
“可以。”

“It’s a crime to send you back. They ought to get complete articulation.”
“让你回去简直太过分了。他们应该让你完全恢复活动。”

“It’s a lot better than it was. It was stiff as a board.”
“比以前好多了。以前都僵硬得跟木板一样。”

Rinaldi bent it more. I watched his hands. He had fine surgeon’s hands. —
Rinaldi将腿弯得更厉害了。我看着他的手,他有一双精细的外科医生手。 —

I looked at the top of his head, his hair shiny and parted smoothly. —
我看着他的头顶,他的头发又光亮又顺滑。 —

He bent the knee too far.
他把膝盖弯曲得太远了。

“Ouch!” I said.
“哎呀!”我说道。

“You ought to have more treatment on it with the machines,” Rinaldi said.
“你应该用机器多做一些治疗。”Rinaldi说。

“It’s better than it was.”
“现在比以前好了。”

“I see that, baby. This is something I know more about than you.” —
“我看得出来,宝贝。这是我比你更擅长的东西。” —

He stood up and sat down on the bed. “The knee itself is a good job.” —
他站起来,坐在床上。“那个膝盖本身干得不错。” —

He was through with the knee. “Tell me all about everything.”
他处理完了膝盖。“告诉我关于一切的一切。”

“There’s nothing to tell,” I said. “I’ve led a quiet life.”
“没什么可说的,”我说。“我过着平静的生活。”

“You act like a married man,” he said. “What’s the matter with you?”
“你的行为像一个已婚男子,”他说。“你怎么了?”

“Nothing,” I said. “What’s the matter with you?”
“没事,”我说。“你怎么了?”

“This war is killing me,” Rinaldi said, “I am very depressed by it.” —
“这场战争快把我打败了,”Rinaldi说,“我对此感到非常沮丧。” —

He folded his hands over his knee.
他将手交叉放在膝盖上。

“Oh,” I said.
“哦,”我说。

“What’s the matter? Can’t I even have human impulses?”
“怎么了?我连人类的冲动也不能有吗?”

“No. I can see you’ve been having a fine time. Tell me.”
“不行。我看得出你过得很开心。告诉我。”

“All summer and all fall I’ve operated. I work all the time. I do everybody’s work. —
“整个夏天和整个秋天我一直在工作。我一直在工作。我做着所有人的工作。 —

All the hard ones they leave to me. By God, baby, I am becoming a lovely surgeon.”
所有辛苦的工作都留给了我。天哪,亲爱的,我正变成一个出色的外科医生。”

“That sounds better.”
“听起来更好了。”

“I never think. No, by God, I don’t think; I operate.”
“我从不思考。不,天哪,我不思考;我只会进行手术。”

“That’s right.”
“就是这样。”

“But now, baby, it’s all over. I don’t operate now and I feel like hell. —
“但现在,亲爱的,一切都结束了。我现在不再做手术,感觉像地狱一样。 —

This is a terrible war, baby. You believe me when I say it. —
这是一场可怕的战争,亲爱的。你相信我说的吧。 —

Now you cheer me up. Did you bring the phonograph records?”
现在你来鼓励我。你把留声机唱片带来了吗?”

“Yes.”
“带来了。”

They were wrapped in paper in a cardboard box in my rucksack. I was too tired to get them out.
“它们包裹在纸张里,放在我背包里的纸板盒子里。我太累了,懒得拿出来。”

“Don’t you feel good yourself, baby?”
“你自己感觉也不好吗,亲爱的?”

“I feel like hell.”
“我感觉糟透了。”

“This war is terrible,” Rinaldi said. “Come on. —
“这场战争太可怕了,” 里纳尔迪说。“来吧。” —

We’ll both get drunk and be cheerful. Then we’ll go get the ashes dragged. —
我们两个都会喝醉,然后高兴起来。然后我们会去拖灰。 —

Then we’ll feel fine.”
然后我们会感到好。

“I’ve had the jaundice,” I said, “and I can’t get drunk.”
“我得过黄疸,” 我说, “我喝不醉。”

“Oh, baby, how you’ve come back to me. You come back serious and with a liver. —
“哦,宝贝,你是怎么回来的。你带着一颗肝回来。 —

I tell you this war is a bad thing. Why did we make it anyway.”
我告诉你,这场战争是一件坏事。我们到底为什么发动它呢。”

“We’ll have a drink. I don’t want to get drunk but we’ll have a drink.”
“我们来喝一杯。我不想喝醉,但我们来喝一杯吧。”

Rinaldi went across the room to the washstand and brought back two glasses and a bottle of cognac.
里纳尔迪走到洗手台对面,拿回两杯和一瓶白兰地。

“It’s Austrian cognac,” he said. “Seven stars. It’s all they captured on San Gabriele.”
“这是奥地利白兰地,” 他说。”七颗星。这是他们在圣加布列尔俘获的全部。

“Were you up there?”
“你在那里吗?”

“No. I haven’t been anywhere. I’ve been here all the time operating. —
“没有。我哪儿都没去。我一直都在这里做手术。 —

Look, baby, this is your old tooth-brushing glass. —
瞧,宝贝,这是你的旧牙刷杯。 —

I kept it all the time to remind me of you.”
我一直保存着它来提醒我你。”

“To remind you to brush your teeth.”
“提醒你刷牙。”

“No. I have my own too. I kept this to remind me of you trying to brush away the Villa Rossa from your teeth in the morning, swearing and eating aspirin and cursing harlots. —
“不,我也有我的。我保存这个来提醒我你早上用牙刷试图刷掉维拉罗莎的牙上的东西,咒骂贱货。 —

Every time I see that glass I think of you trying to clean your conscience with a toothbrush.” —
每次看到那个杯子我就想起你试图用牙刷清洁你的良心。” —

He came over to the bed. “Kiss me once and tell me you’re not serious.”
他走到床边。“亲吻我一次,告诉我你不认真的。”

“I never kiss you. You’re an ape.”
“我从不亲吻你。你是只猿。”

“I know, you are the fine good Anglo-Saxon boy. I know. You are the remorse boy, I know. —
“我知道,你是个优秀的盎格鲁-撒克逊小伙子。我知道。你是个忏悔的小伙子,我知道。” —

I will wait till I see the Anglo-Saxon brushing away harlotry with a toothbrush.”
“我等着看盎格鲁-撒克逊用牙刷刷掉他的淫威。”

“Put some cognac in the glass.”
“在玻璃杯里加些干邑。”

We touched glasses and drank. Rinaldi laughed at me.
我们碰杯,喝下。里纳尔迪笑了。

“I will get you drunk and take out your liver and put you in a good Italian liver and make you a man again.”
“我会把你灌醉,取出你的肝将你送入一颗优良的意大利肝脏,让你再次成为一个男子汉。”

I held the glass for some more cognac. It was dark outside now. —
我端着杯子,继续倒了些干邑。外面已经很暗了。 —

Holding the glass of cognac, I went over and opened the window. —
拿着杯子里的干邑,我走到窗前打开了窗户。 —

The rain had stopped falling. It was colder outside and there was a mist in the trees.
雨已经停了。外面变得更冷了,树上蒙了一层雾。

“Don’t throw the cognac out the window,” Rinaldi said. “If you can’t drink it give it to me.”
“别把干邑扔出窗外,”里纳尔迪说。“如果你不喝,把它给我。”

“Go something yourself,” I said. I was glad to see Rinaldi again. —
“自己去做点什么吧,”我说。见到里纳尔迪我感到很高兴。 —

He had spent two years teasing me and I had always liked it. We understood each other very well.
他用两年的时间调戏我,我一直很喜欢。我们很理解彼此。

“Are you married?” he asked from the bed. I was standing against the wall by the window.
“你结婚了吗?”他躺在床上问。我站在窗边的墙前。

“Not yet.”
“还没有。”

“Are you in love?”
“你是否恋爱了?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“With that English girl?”
“和那个英国女孩吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Poor baby. Is she good to you?”
“可怜的孩子。她对你好吗?”

“Of course.”
“当然。”

“I mean is she good to you practically speaking?”
“我是指在实际方面她对你好吗?”

“Shut up.”
“闭嘴。”

“I will. You will see I am a man of extreme delicacy. Does she–?”
“好的。你会看到我是一个非常细致周到的人。她会——?”

“Rinin,” I said. “Please shut up. If you want to be my friend, shut up.”
“Rinin,”我说。”请闭嘴。如果你想成为我的朋友,请闭嘴。”

“I don’t want to be your friend, baby. I am your friend.”
“我不想成为你的朋友,宝贝。我就是你的朋友。”

“Then shut up.”
“那就闭嘴。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I went over to the bed and sat down beside Rinaldi. —
我走到床边,坐在了Rinaldi旁边。 —

He was holding his glass and looking at the floor.
他手里拿着杯子,低头看着地板。

“You see how it is, Rinin?”
“你看情况怎么样,Rinin?”

“Oh, yes. All my life I encounter sacred subjects. But very few with you. —
“哦,是的。我一生中遇到很多神圣的主题。但很少有和你一起。” —

I suppose you must have them too.” He looked at the floor.
我想你也一定有的。”他低头看着地板。

“You haven’t any?”
“你一个也没有?”

“Not any?”
“一个也没有?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“I can say this about your mother and that about your sister?”
“我可以说你母亲这个,你姐妹那个?”

“And that about your sister,” Rinaldi said swiftly. We both laughed.
“还有你姐妹的那个,” Rinaldi 迅速说道。我们都笑了。

“The old superman,” I said.
“那个老超人,”我说。

“I am jealous maybe,” Rinaldi said.
“也许我有点嫉妒,”Rinaldi 说。

“No, you’re not.”
“不,你不是。”

“I don’t mean like that. I mean something else. Have you any married friends?”
“我不是那个意思。我是指别的。你有已婚的朋友吗?”

“Yes,” I said.
“有,”我说。

“I haven’t,” Rinaldi said. “Not if they love each other.”
“我没有,”Rinaldi 说。“至少他们是互相爱的。”

“Why not?”
“为什么没有?”

“They don’t like me.”
“他们不喜欢我。”

“Why not?”
“为什么?”

“I am the snake. I am the snake of reason.”
“我就是那只蛇。我是理性之蛇。”

“You’re getting it mixed. The apple was reason.”
“你弄混了。那个苹果代表的是理性。”

“No, it was the snake.”
“不,是那只蛇。”

He was more cheerful.
他变得更加开朗了。

“You are better when you don’t think so deeply,” I said.
“你不要想得那么深,你会更好的,” 我说。

“I love you, baby,” he said. “You puncture me when I become a great Italian thinker. But I know many things I can’t say. —
“我爱你,宝贝,” 他说。”你总是在我成为伟大的意大利思想家时把我弄伤。但我知道很多事情我不能说。 —

I know more than you.”
我知道的比你多。”

“Yes. You do.”
“是的,你知道。”

“But you will have a better time. Even with remorse you will have a better time.”
“但你会过得更好。即使有懊悔,你也会过得更好。”

“I don’t think so.”
“我不这么认为。”

“Oh, yes. That is true. Already I am only happy when I am working.” He looked at the floor again.
“哦,是的。那是真的。现在我只有在工作时才感到快乐。” 他再次看向地板。

“You’ll get over that.”
“你会克服的。”

“No. I only like two other things; one is bad for my work and the other is over in half an hour or fifteen minutes. Sometimes less.”
“不。我只喜欢另外两件事;其中一件事对我的工作不利,另一件事只持续半个小时或十五分钟。有时候更短。”

“Sometimes a good deal less.”
“有时甚至要少得多。”

“Perhaps I have improved, baby. You do not know. But there are only the two things and my work.”
“也许我已经进步了,宝贝。你不知道。但只有这两件事和我的工作。”

“You’ll get other things.”
“你会得到其他东西的。”

“No. We never get anything. We are born with all we have and we never learn. —
“不,我们永远得不到任何东西。我们出生时就已经拥有了一切,我们永远不会学会。 —

We never get anything new. We all start complete. —
我们永远得不到新的东西。我们都是完整的开始。 —

You should be glad not to be a Latin.”
你应该庆幸自己不是拉丁人。”

“There’s no such thing as a Latin. That is ‘Latin’ thinking. —
“根本没有拉丁人这种东西。那是‘拉丁’思维。 —

You are so proud of your defects.” Rinaldi looked up and laughed.
你是如此自豪自己的缺点。”里纳尔迪抬起头笑了。

“We’ll stop, baby. I am tired from thinking so much.” He had looked tired when he came in. —
“我们停下吧,宝贝。我想太多了。”他进来时看起来很累。 —

“It’s nearly time to eat. I’m glad you’re back. —
“快到吃饭的时间了。我很高兴你回来了。 —

You are my best friend and my war brother.”
你是我的最好的朋友,我的战友。”

“When do the war brothers eat?” I asked.
“战友们什么时候吃饭?”我问道。

“Right away. We’ll drink once more for your liver’s sake.”
“马上。我们再为你的肝喝一杯。”

“Like Saint Paul.”
“像圣保罗一样。”

“You are inaccurate. That was wine and the stomach. Take a little wine for your stomach’s sake.”
“你说错了。那是葡萄酒和胃。为了你的胃,喝点酒吧。”

“Whatever you have in the bottle,” I said. “For any sake you mention.”
“无论你瓶子里有什么,”我说。“只要你提一种酒。”

“To your girl,” Rinaldi said. He held out his glass.
“为了你的女孩,”Rinaldi说。他递过酒杯。

“All right.”
“好的。”

“I’ll never say a dirty thing about her.”
“我永远不会说她的坏话。”

“Don’t strain yourself.”
“别勉强自己。”

He drank off the cognac. “I am pure,” he said. “I am like you, baby. I will get an English girl too. —
他喝下了干邑。“我是纯洁的,”他说。“我和你一样,亲爱的。我也会找一个英国女孩。” —

As a matter of fact I knew your girl first but she was a little tall for me. —
事实上,我先认识你的女孩,但是她对我来说有点高了。 —

A tall girl for a sister,” he quoted.
“一个高个女孩作为姐妹,”他引用了一句。

“You have a lovely pure mind,” I said.
“你拥有一个可爱纯洁的心灵,”我说。

“Haven’t I? That’s why they call me Rinaldo Purissimo.”
“是吧?这就是为什么他们叫我Rinaldo Purissimo。”

“Rinaldo Sporchissimo.”
“脏兮兮的Rinaldo。”

“Come on, baby, we’ll go down to eat while my mind is still pure.”
“来吧,亲爱的,我们去楼下吃饭吧,趁我心灵还纯洁。”

I washed, combed my hair and we went down the stairs. —
我洗漱,梳理头发,然后我们下楼楼梯。 —

Rinaldi was a little drunk. In the room where we ate, the meal was not quite ready.
Rinaldi有点喝醉了。我们吃饭的房间里,饭还没有准备好。

“I’ll go get the bottle,” Rinaldi said. He went off up the stairs. —
“我去拿瓶子,”Rinaldi说着上了楼梯。 —

I sat at the table and he came back with the bottle and poured us each a half tumbler of cognac.
我坐在桌边,他拿着瓶子回来,为我们每人倒了半杯干邑。

“Too much,” I said and held up the glass and sighted at the lamp on the table.
“太多了,”我说着,抬起酒杯对准桌子上的灯。

“Not for an empty stomach. It is a wonderful thing. —
“对于空腹来说不算多。这是一件美好的事情。 —

It burns out the stomach completely. Nothing is worse for you.”
它能把胃烧坏。没有比这更糟糕的了。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Self-destruction day by day,” Rinaldi said. —
“自毁不息的日子,”Rinaldi说。 —

“It ruins the stomach and makes the hand shake. —
“它会糟蹋胃,让手颤抖。 —

Just the thing for a surgeon.”
这对外科医生来说再合适不过了。”

“You recommend it?”
“你推荐吗?”

“Heartily. I use no other. Drink it down, baby, and look forward to being sick.”
“毫不犹豫。我就只用这个。喝完吧,宝贝,期待着呕吐吧。”

I drank half the glass. In the hall I could hear the orderly calling. “Soup! Soup is ready!”
我喝了一半。在走廊里我听见护士喊着:”汤!汤好了!”

The major came in, nodded to us and sat down. He seemed very small at table.
军官走进来,向我们点了点头,然后坐下。他在餐桌旁看起来很小。

“Is this all we are?” he asked. The orderly put the soup bowl down and he ladled out a plate full.
“我们就这么少吗?” 他问道。护士放下汤碗,他舀了满一碗。

“We are all,” Rinaldi said. “Unless the priest comes. —
“我们就这么少,” Rinaldi说。”除非牧师来。 —

If he knew Federico was here he would be here.”
如果他知道费德里科在这里,他就会来了。”

“Where is he?” I asked.
“他在哪里?”我问道。

“He’s at 307,” the major said. He was busy with his soup. —
“他在307号房间,”major说。他正忙着吃汤。 —

He wiped his mouth, wiping his upturned gray mustache carefully. —
他擦了擦嘴,小心地擦拭着翘起的灰色胡子。 —

“He will come I think. I called them and left word to tell him you were here.”
“我想他会来的。我给他们打了电话,并留言告诉他你来了。”

“I miss the noise of the mess,” I said.
“我想念军官饭堂的喧闹声,”我说。

“Yes, it’s quiet,” the major said.
“是的,现在很安静,”major说。

“I will be noisy,” said Rinaldi.
“我会制造噪音的,”Rinaldi说。

“Drink some wine, Enrico,” said the major. He filled my glass. —
“喝点酒,恩里科,”major说道。他给我的杯子倒了满满一杯。 —

The spaghetti came in and we were all busy. —
面条上桌了,我们都忙碌起来。 —

We were finishing the spaghetti when the priest came in. —
我们正吃完面条的时候,牧师进来了。 —

He was the same as ever, small and brown and compact looking. —
他一如既往,个子矮小,皮肤棕褐,看起来结实。 —

I stood up and we shook hands. He put his hand on my shoulder.
我站起来,我们握手。他把手搭在我的肩膀上。

“I came as soon as I heard,” he said.
“我一听说就立刻过来了,”他说。

“Sit down,” the major said. “You’re late.”
“坐下吧,”major说,“你来晚了。”

“Good-evening, priest,” Rinaldi said, using the English word. —
“晚上好,牧师,”Rinaldi说,用了英语单词。 —

They had taken that up from the priest-baiting captain, who spoke a little English. —
他们从那位说了一点英语的惹神的船长那里听说过这个。 —

“Good-evening, Rinaldo,” the priest said. —
“晚上好,里纳尔多,”牧师说道。 —

The orderly brought him soup but he said he would start with the spaghetti.
士兵拿来给他汤,但他表示要先吃意大利面。

“How are you?” he asked me.
“你好吗?”他问我。

“Fine,” I said. “How have things been?”
“很好,”我回答说。“最近怎么样?”

“Drink some wine, priest,” Rinaldi said. “Take a little wine for your stomach’s sake. —
“喝一点酒,牧师,”里纳尔迪说。“为了你的胃的缘故喝点酒。 —

That’s Saint Paul, you know.”
这是圣保罗说的,你知道的。”

“Yes I know,” said the priest politely. Rinaldi filled his glass.
“是的,我知道,”牧师礼貌地说。里纳尔迪给他倒满了杯子。

“That Saint Paul,” said Rinaldi. “He’s the one who makes all the trouble.” —
“那个圣保罗,”里纳尔迪说。“他是制造麻烦的那个。” —

The priest looked at me and smiled. I could see that the baiting did not touch him now.
牧师看着我微笑。我看得出来这些惹神的话语已经不影响他了。

“That Saint Paul,” Rinaldi said. “He was a rounder and a chaser and then when he was no longer hot he said it was no good. —
“那个圣保罗,”里纳尔迪说。“他以前是个纨绔子弟,骑马追逐女人,等到他过气之后就说这没什么好玩的。 —

When he was finished he made the rules for us who are still hot. —
他了结之后,就为我们这些还在玩得起的制定规则。 —

Isn’t it true, Federico?”
这话不是吗,费德里科?”

The major smiled. We were eating meat stew now.
少校笑了。我们现在正在吃肉炖菜。

“I never discuss a Saint after dark,” I said. The priest looked up from the stew and smiled at me.
“在天黑后我从不讨论圣徒,”我说。牧师放下肉炖菜,对我微笑。

“There he is, gone over with the priest,” Rinaldi said. “Where are all the good old priest-baiters? —
“他已经和神父在一起了,”Rinaldi说。“哪里都找不到那些喜欢取笑神父的人了。 —

Where is Cavalcanti? Where is Brundi? Where is Cesare? —
卡瓦尔坎蒂在哪里? 布伦迪在哪里? 切萨雷在哪里? —

Do I have to bait this priest alone without support?”
难道我必须独自对付这个神父而没有支持吗?

“He is a good priest,” said the major.
“他是个好神父,”major说。

“He is a good priest,” said Rinaldi. “But still a priest. —
“他是个好神父,”Rinaldi说。“但毕竟是个神父。 —

I try to make the mess like the old days. —
我试图让这场混乱像从前一样。 —

I want to make Federico happy. To hell with you, priest!”
我想让费德里科高兴。 神父见鬼去吧!

I saw the major look at him and notice that he was drunk. His thin face was white. —
我看到major看着他,注意到他喝醉了。他瘦削的脸白得发白。 —

The line of his hair was very black against the white of his forehead.
他的黑发在白色的额头上映衬得非常明显。

“It’s all right, Rinaldo,” said the priest. “It’s all right.”
“一切都好,Rinaldo,”神父说。“一切都好。”

“To hell with you,” said Rinaldi. “To hell with the whole damn business.” He sat back in his chair.
“见鬼去吧,”Rinaldi对着桌子说。“整个该死的事情都见鬼去吧。”他坐回椅子上。

“He’s been under a strain and he’s tired,” the major said to me. —
“他受到很大压力,他累了,”major对我说。 —

He finished his meat and wiped up the gravy with a piece of bread.
他吃完肉,用一块面包擦拭汁水。

“I don’t give a damn,” Rinaldi said to the table. “To hell with the whole business.” —
“我一点都不在乎,”Rinaldi对着桌子说。“整个该死的事情都见鬼去吧。” —

He looked defiantly around the table, his eyes flat, his face pale.
他目光挑衅地扫视着桌上的人,他的眼神平淡,脸色苍白。

“All right,” I said. “To hell with the whole damn business.”
“好吧,”我说。“这整个该死的事情都见鬼去吧。”

“No, no,” said Rinaldi. “You can’t do it. You can’t do it. I say you can’t do it. —
“不,不,”Rinaldi说。“你不能这样做。你不能这样做。我告诉你你做不到。” —

You’re dry and you’re empty and there’s nothing else. —
“你是干燥的,你是空虚的,没有其他东西。” —

There’s nothing else I tell you. Not a damned thing. —
“没有其他东西,我告诉你。一点都没有。” —

I know, when I stop working.”
“我知道,当我停止工作时。”

The priest shook his head. The orderly took away the stew dish.
牧师摇了摇头。助手把炖菜碟拿走了。

“What are you eating meat for?” Rinaldi turned to the priest. “Don’t you know it’s Friday?”
“你为什么吃肉?”Rinaldi转向牧师。“你不知道今天是周五吗?”

“It’s Thursday,” the priest said.
“今天是周四,”牧师说。

“It’s a lie. It’s Friday. You’re eating the body of our Lord. It’s God-meat. —
“那是谎言。今天是周五。你在吃我们的主的身体。这是神的肉。” —

I know. It’s dead Austrian. That’s what you’re eating.”
“我知道。这是死去的奥地利人。你在吃的就是这个。”

“The white meat is from officers,” I said, completing the old joke.
“白肉是官员的,”我说,完整了那个陈词滥调。

Rinaldi laughed. He filled his glass.
Rinaldi笑了。他给杯子里倒了酒。

“Don’t mind me,” he said. “I’m just a little crazy.”
“别在意我,”他说。“我只是有点疯狂。”

“You ought to have a leave,” the priest said.
“你应该休假,”牧师说。

The major shook his head at him.
少校摇了摇头。

Rinaldi looked at the priest.
雷纳尔迪看着那位牧师。

“You think I ought to have a leave?”
“你认为我应该休假吗?”

The major shook his head at the priest. Rinaldi was looking at the priest.
Major向牧师摇了摇头。雷纳尔迪正在看着牧师。

“Just as you like,” the priest said. “Not if you don’t want.”
“随你便,”牧师说。 “如果你不想的话就算了。”

“To hell with you,” Rinaldi said. “They try to get rid of me. Every night they try to get rid of me. —
“见鬼去吧,”雷纳尔迪说。“他们想摆脱我。每晚他们都想摆脱我。 —

I fight them off. What if I have it. Everybody has it. The whole world’s got it. —
我抵抗它们。如果我得了它。每个人都有它。整个世界都有它。 —

First,” he went on, assuming the manner of a lecturer, “it’s a little pimple. —
首先,”他继续说,假装成一位讲师,“是一个小疙瘩。 —

Then we notice a rash between the shoulders. —
然后我们注意到肩膀之间的皮疹。 —

Then we notice nothing at all. We put our faith in mercury.”
然后我们什么也没有注意到。我们把信任放在汞上。”

“Or salvarsan,” the major interrupted quietly.
“或者是萨维珊,” Major静静地打断了。

“A mercurial product,” Rinaldi said. He acted very elated now. “I know something worth two of that. —
“一个含汞的产品,”雷纳尔迪说。他现在表现得非常高兴。“我知道一个比那个值得两倍的东西。 —

Good old priest,” he said. “You’ll never get it. Baby will get it. —
好牧师,” 他说。“你永远不会得到它。宝贝会得到它。 —

It’s an industrial accident. It’s a simple industrial accident.”
那是一起工业事故。只是一次普通的工业事故。”

The orderly brought in the sweet and coffee. —
服务员端进了甜食和咖啡。 —

The dessert was a sort of black bread pudding with hard sauce. —
甜点是一种黑面包布丁配硬酱。 —

The lamp was smoking; the black smoke going close up inside the chimney.
灯在冒烟,黑烟钻进了烟囱里。

“Bring two candles and take away the lamp,” the major said. —
“拿两支蜡烛把灯拿走,”少校说。 —

The orderly brought two lighted candles each in a saucer, and took out the lamp blowing it out. —
军士拿来了两支插在碟子里的点着的蜡烛,把灯拿走并吹灭了火。 —

Rinaldi was quiet now. He seemed all right. —
里纳尔迪现在安静了。他看起来好多了。 —

We talked and after the coffee we all went out into the hall.
我们聊了一会,喝完咖啡后都走到了大厅。

“You want to talk to the priest. I have to go in the town,” Rinaldi said. “Good-night, priest.”
“你想跟牧师谈谈。我得去镇上,” 里纳尔迪说。“晚安,牧师。”

“Good-night, Rinaldo,” the priest said.
“晚安,里纳尔多,”牧师说。

“I’ll see you, Fredi,” Rinaldi said.
“我会再见到你,弗雷迪,” 里纳尔迪说。

“Yes,” I said. “Come in early.” He made a face and went out the door. —
“好的,” 我说。“早点来。”他做了个鬼脸,然后走出了门。 —

The major was standing with us. “He’s very tired and overworked,” he said. —
少校和我们一起站着。“他太疲倦,工作太过于累了”,他说。 —

“He thinks too he has syphilis. I don’t believe it but he may have. —
“他也认为自己得了梅毒。我不相信,但也有可能。” —

He is treating himself for it. Good-night. —
“他正在自我治疗。晚安。” —

You will leave before daylight, Enrico?”
“你会在天亮前离开,恩里科?”

“Yes.”
“会的。”

“Good-by then,” he said. “Good luck. Peduzzi will wake you and go with you.”
“再见了,”他说。“祝你好运。佩杜齐会叫醒你并和你一同出发。”

“Good-by, Signor Maggiore.”
“再见,马乔雷先生。”

“Good-by. They talk about an Austrian offensive but I don’t believe it. I hope not. —
“再见。他们谈论奥地利的进攻,但我不相信。希望不是真的。” —

But anyway it won’t be here. Gino will tell you everything. —
不管怎样,这里不会有进攻。吉诺会告诉你一切。 —

The telephone works well now.”
“电话现在运转正常。”

“I’ll call regularly.”
“我会定期打电话。”

“Please do. Good-night. Don’t let Rinaldi drink so much brandy.”
“请一定要。晚安。别让里纳尔迪喝太多白兰地。”

“I’ll try not to.”
“我会尽量避免。”

“Good-night, priest.”
“晚安,神父。”

“Good-night, Signor Maggiore.”
“晚安,马乔雷先生。”

He went off into his office.
他走进了他的办公室。