I woke when Rinaldi came in but he did not talk and I went back to sleep again. —
当里纳尔迪进来时我醒了,但他没有讲话,于是我又睡了。 —

In the morning I was dressed and gone before it was light. Rinaldi did not wake when I left.
早晨还没亮我就穿好衣服走了。里纳尔迪没在我离开时醒来。

I had not seen the Bainsizza before and it was strange to go up the slope where the Austrians had been, beyond the place on the river where I had been wounded. —
我之前没见过拜恩西扎,上那个奥地利人曾驻守的斜坡时感到很陌生,就在那条河边我曾受伤。 —

There was a steep new road and many trucks. —
这里有一条新修的陡峭道路,很多卡车。 —

Beyond, the road flattened out and I saw woods and steep hills in the mist. —
越过道路,地势变平缓了,我看到雾中的树林和陡峭的山坡。 —

There were woods that had been taken quickly and not smashed. —
有些林地很快被占领,没有被摧毁。 —

Then beyond where the road was not protected by the hills it was screened by matting on the sides and over the top. —
随后道路尽头没有被山丘保护,而是被两侧和顶部的竹帘遮挡着。 —

The road ended in a wrecked village. The lines were up beyond. There was much artillery around. —
道路尽头是一个被摧毁的村庄。阵地在远处。周围有很多炮兵。 —

The houses were badly smashed but things were very well organized and there were signboards everywhere. —
房屋遭到严重破坏,但一切井井有条,到处都有告示牌。 —

We found Gino and he got us some coffee and later I went with him and met various people and saw the posts. —
我们找到吉诺,他给我们煮了一些咖啡,稍后我和他一起去见了一些人并看了一些岗哨。 —

Gino said the British cars were working further down the Bainsizza at Ravne. He had great admiration for the British. —
吉诺说英国的车辆正在拜恩西扎下游的拉夫内运行。他对英国人非常钦佩。 —

There was still a certain amount of shelling, he said, but not many wounded. —
他说还在轰炸,但伤员不多。 —

There would be many sick now the rains had started. —
现在雨已开始,会有很多病号。 —

The Austrians were supposed to attack but he did not believe it. —
据说奥地利人会发动攻击,但他不信。 —

We were supposed to attack too, but they had not brought up any new troops so he thought that was off too. —
我们也该进攻,但他们没有增援部队,所以他认为这计划取消了。 —

Food was scarce and he would be glad to get a full meal in Gorizia. What kind of supper had I had? —
食物很少,他会很高兴在戈里齐亚能吃到一顿饱餐。我吃的是什么样的晚餐呢? —

I told him and he said that would be wonderful. He was especially impressed by the dolce. —
我告诉他,他说那将很棒。他特别赞赏那道甜点。 —

I did not describe it in detail, only said it was a dolce, and I think he believed it was something more elaborate than bread pudding.
我没有详细描述,只是说那是一个甜点,我觉得他以为那不仅是面包布丁那么简单。

Did I know where he was going to go? I said I didn’t but that some of the other cars were at Caporetto. —
我知道他要去哪里吗?我说我不知道,但其他一些车辆在卡波雷托。 —

He hoped he would go up that way. It was a nice little place and he liked the high mountain hauling up beyond. —
他希望他会沿着那条路上去。那是个美丽的小地方,他喜欢高山在远处隆起的景色。 —

He was a nice boy and every one seemed to like him. —
他是个好孩子,每个人似乎都喜欢他。 —

He said where it really had been hell was at San Gabriele and the attack beyond Lom that had gone bad. —
他说真正的地狱是在圣加布里埃尔和攻击之后的洛姆,情况变得糟糕。 —

He said the Austrians had a great amount of artillery in the woods along Ternova ridge beyond and above us, and shelled the roads badly at night. —
他说奥地利人在我们上方特诺瓦山脊的树林里设立了大量炮兵,晚上猛烈轰击道路。 —

There was a battery of naval guns that had gotten on his nerves. —
有一组海军大炮让他紧张不安。 —

I would recognize them because of their flat trajectory. —
你会因为它们发射的平射而认出它们。 —

You heard the report and then the shriek commenced almost instantly. —
你听到枪声后,几乎立刻就开始尖叫。 —

They usually fired two guns at once, one right after the other, and the fragments from the burst were enormous. —
他们通常同时开火两门炮,一门接着一门,碎片巨大。 —

He showed me one, a smoothly jagged piece of metal over a foot long. —
他给我看了一块,一块光滑锯齿状的金属,有一英尺长。 —

It looked like babbitting metal.
它看起来像是铸套金属。

“I don’t suppose they are so effective,” Gino said. “But they scare me. —
“我想它们并不那么有效,”吉诺说。“但它们吓到了我。” —

They all sound as though they came directly for you. —
它们听起来都像是直接对着你来的。 —

There is the boom, then instantly the shriek and burst. —
那时有隆隆声,接着立刻是尖叫和爆炸声。 —

What’s the use of not being wounded if they scare you to death?”
如果他们吓死你,那没有受伤的意义呢?

He said there were Croats in the lines opposite us now and some Magyars. —
他说我们对面的线上现在有克罗地亚人还有一些马扬人。 —

Our troops were still in the attacking positions. —
我们的部队还在攻击位置上。 —

There was no wire to speak of and no place to fall back to if there should be an Austrian attack. —
没有什么铁丝网可言,如果奥地利人来进攻的话也没有地方可以撤退。 —

There were fine positions for defense along the low mountains that came up out of the plateau but nothing had been done about organizing them for defense. —
沿着从高原上升起的低山有很好的防御位置,但并没有组织起来为了防御。 —

What did I think about the Bainsizza anyway?
我对巴因西扎有什么看法呢?

I had expected it to be flatter, more like a plateau. I had not realized it was so broken up.
我原以为会更平坦,更像一个高原。我没有意识到地势会如此崎岖。

“Alto piano,” Gino said, “but no piano.”
“Alto piano,” 吉诺说, “but no piano.”

We went back to the cellar of the house where he lived. —
我们回到了他住的房子的地下室。 —

I said I thought a ridge that flattened out on top and had a little depth would be easier and more practical to hold than a succession of small mountains. —
我说我认为一个顶部变平且有一点深度的山脊会比一系列小山更容易和更实用地守住。 —

It was no harder to attack up a mountain than on the level, I argued. —
我辩称攻击山上不会比在平地上更加困难。 —

“That depends on the mountains,” he said. —
“那要看山峰本身,” 他说。 —

“Look at San Gabriele.”
“看看圣加布里埃尔。”

“Yes,” I said, “but where they had trouble was at the top where it was flat. —
“是的。”我说,“但他们遇到麻烦的地方是在平顶部。 —

They got up to the top easy enough.”
他们很容易到达山顶。”

“Not so easy,” he said.
“并不那么容易。”他说。

“Yes,” I said, “but that was a special case because it was a fortress rather than a mountain, anyway. The Austrians had been fortifying it for years.” —
“是的。”我说,“但那是一个特殊情况,因为那是一座要塞,而不是一座山。奥地利人多年来一直在加强它的防御。” —

I meant tactically speaking in a war where there was some movement a succession of mountains were nothing to hold as a line because it was too easy to turn them. —
我指的是从战术上讲,在一场有些行动的战争中,一系列山峰并不适合作为阵线,因为很容易被绕过。 —

You should have possible mobility and a mountain is not very mobile. —
你应该有可能的机动性,而山并不太灵活。 —

Also, people always over-shoot downhill. —
此外,人们总是在下坡处超越。 —

If the flank were turned, the best men would be left on the highest mountains. —
如果侧翼被绕过,最优秀的士兵会被留在最高的山上。 —

I did not believe in a war in mountains. I had thought about it a lot, I said. —
我不相信在山区作战。我说我考虑过很多次。 —

You pinched off one mountain and they pinched off another but when something really started every one had to get down off the mountains.
你夹住一座山,他们夹住另一座山,但当真正的冲突开始时,每个人都得下山。

What were you going to do if you had a mountain frontier? he asked.
如果你有一座山脉作为边界,你会怎么做呢?”他问。

I had not worked that out yet, I said, and we both laughed. —
我还没有想好,我说,然后我们都笑了起来。 —

“But,” I said, “in the old days the Austrians were always whipped in the quadrilateral around Verona. —
“但是,”我说,“在过去,奥地利人总是在维罗纳周围的四边形中被打败。 —

They let them come down onto the plain and whipped them there.”
他们让他们下到平原上,然后在那里打败他们。”

“Yes,” said Gino. “But those were Frenchmen and you can work out military problems clearly when you are fighting in somebody else’s country.”
“是的。”吉诺说。“但那些都是法国人,在别人的国家作战时,你可以清楚地解决军事问题。”

“Yes,” I agreed, “when it is your own country you cannot use it so scientifically.”
“是的,”我同意道,“当谈到自己的国家时,就不能那么科学地对待。”

“The Russians did, to trap Napoleon.”
“俄罗斯人是这么做的,为了困住拿破仑。”

“Yes, but they had plenty of country. If you tried to retreat to trap Napoleon in Italy you would find yourself in Brindisi.”
“是的,但是他们有很多国土。如果你试图在意大利退却来困住拿破仑,你最后会发现自己落到布林迪西。”

“A terrible place,” said Gino. “Have you ever been there?”
“一个可怕的地方,”吉诺说。“你去过那儿吗?”

“Not to stay.”
“只是临时停留过。”

“I am a patriot,” Gino said. “But I cannot love Brindisi or Taranto.”
“我是爱国者,”吉诺说。“但我无法爱上布林迪西或塔兰托。”

“Do you love the Bainsizza?” I asked.
“你爱过巴因西扎吗?”我问。

“The soil is sacred,” he said. “But I wish it grew more potatoes. —
“这片土地是神圣的,”他说。“但我希望它能生长更多的土豆。” —

You know when we came here we found fields of potatoes the Austrians had planted.”
“你知道吗,当我们来这里时,我们发现奥地利人种了一片土豆田。”

“Has the food really been short?”
“食物真的很短缺吗?”

“I myself have never had enough to eat but I am a big eater and I have not starved. —
“我自己从来没有吃饱过,但我是个大胃王,也没有挨过饿。” —

The mess is average. The regiments in the line get pretty good food but those in support don’t get so much. —
“饭菜中规中矩。阵地上的团得到的食物相当丰富,但支援部队得到的就少了一些。” —

Something is wrong somewhere. There should be plenty of food.”
“某些地方出了问题。应该有足够的食物。”

“The dogfish are selling it somewhere else.”
“鲨鱼在其他地方卖掉了吧。”

“Yes, they give the battalions in the front line as much as they can but the ones in back are very short. —
“是的,他们尽量给阵地前线的营供应足够食物,但后方的那些营就很短缺。” —

They have eaten all the Austrians’ potatoes and chestnuts from the woods. —
他们已经将所有奥地利人的土豆和森林里的栗子吃光了。 —

They ought to feed them better. We are big eaters. I am sure there is plenty of food. —
他们应该给他们喂得更好。我们是大胃王。我相信食物一定是充足的。 —

It is very bad for the soldiers to be short of food. —
士兵们缺少食物是非常不好的。 —

Have you ever noticed the difference it makes in the way you think?”
你有没有注意到它对你的思维方式产生的影响?

“Yes,” I said. “It can’t win a war but it can lose one.”
“是的,”我说。“它不能赢得一场战争,但可以输掉一场。”

“We won’t talk about losing. There is enough talk about losing. —
“我们不会谈论失败。已经有足够多的失败谈论了。” —

What has been done this summer cannot have been done in vain.”
今年夏天所做的事情肯定是不会白费的。

I did not say anything. I was always embarrassed by the words sacred, glorious, and sacrifice and the expression in vain. —
我什么也没说。我总是对“神圣”、“荣耀”和“牺牲”这些词感到尴尬,以及徒劳的表达方式。 —

We had heard them, sometimes standing in the rain almost out of earshot, so that only the shouted words came through, and had read them, on proclamations that were slapped up by billposters over other proclamations, now for a long time, and I had seen nothing sacred, and the things that were glorious had no glory and the sacrifices were like the stockyards at Chicago if nothing was done with the meat except to bury it. —
我们曾经听到过这些话,有时候在雨中站在远处,只能听到喧嚷的声音,有时候又从张贴在其他公告上的传单上读到,现在已经很久了,我看到的没有什么神圣,那些荣耀的东西也没有荣耀,牺牲就像芝加哥的屠宰场,如果不处理肉类,那简直是没有任何意义的。 —

There were many words that you could not stand to hear and finally only the names of places had dignity. —
有许多词语让你无法忍受,最后只有地名有尊严。 —

Certain numbers were the same way and certain dates and these with the names of the places were all you could say and have them mean anything. —
某些数字也是如此,某些日期和这些地名一起说出来才有意义。 —

Abstract words such as glory, honor, courage, or hallow were obscene beside the concrete names of villages, the numbers of roads, the names of rivers, the numbers of regiments and the dates. —
光荣、荣誉、勇气或神圣等抽象词在实际的村庄名字、道路编号、河流名字、军团编号和日期旁就变得下流了。 —

Gino was a patriot, so he said things that separated us sometimes, but he was also a fine boy and I understood his being a patriot. —
吉诺是个爱国者,所以他说的话有时会和我们分开,但他也是个好孩子,我理解他是个爱国者。 —

He was born one. He left with Peduzzi in the car to go back to Gorizia.
他就是天生的爱国者。他和佩杜齐坐车回到戈里齐亚去了。

It stormed all that day. The wind drove down the rain and everywhere there was standing water and mud. —
那一天一直在暴风雨中。风驱赶着雨水,到处都是积水和泥泞。 —

The plaster of the broken houses was gray and wet. —
被毁房屋的灰泥是灰色而潮湿的。 —

Late in the afternoon the rain stopped and from out number two post I saw the bare wet autumn country with clouds over the tops of the hills and the straw screening over the roads wet and dripping. —
下午晚些时候,雨停了,从二号岗哨外面,我看到了秋天光秃秃、湿漉漉的乡村,山顶上云雾缭绕,道路上的稻草帘湿漉漉的滴着水。 —

The sun came out once before it went down and shone on the bare woods beyond the ridge. —
夕阳在落山前出现过一次,照在山脊那边光秃秃的树林上。 —

There were many Austrian guns in the woods on that ridge but only a few fired. —
那座山脊上有很多奥地利炮,但只有少数开火。 —

I watched the sudden round puffs of shrapnel smoke in the sky above a broken farmhouse near where the line was; —
我看到了突然的散弹炮罩在离战线不远处一个被毁农舍上方的天空中; —

soft puffs with a yellow white flash in the centre. —
柔软的炮罩,中心有一团黄白色的闪光。 —

You saw the flash, then heard the crack, then saw the smoke ball distort and thin in the wind. —
你看到了闪光,然后听到了爆炸声,然后看到了炮炸弹在风中变形和消散。 —

There were many iron shrapnel balls in the rubble of the houses and on the road beside the broken house where the post was, but they did not shell near the post that afternoon. —
在那座岗哨附近的破房子和道路上有很多铁制散弹弹丸,但那天下午它们没有炸近岗哨。 —

We loaded two cars and drove down the road that was screened with wet mats and the last of the sun came through in the breaks between the strips of mattings. —
我们装满了两辆车,沿着用湿席遮挡的道路驶下山坡,最后一缕阳光透过席子间的缝隙照了进来。 —

Before we were out on the clear road behind the hill the sun was down. —
在我们驶出山坡后的明朗道路上,太阳已经落山了。 —

We went on down the clear road and as it turned a corner into the open and went into the square arched tunnel of matting the rain started again.
我们继续沿着明朗道路前行,当道路拐过一个拐角进入席子构成的方形拱形隧道时,雨又开始下了。

The wind rose in the night and at three o’clock in the morning with the rain coming in sheets there was a bombardment and the Croatians came over across the mountain meadows and through patches of woods and into the front line. —
夜里风势加大,凌晨三点,雨势变成了倾盆大雨,一场炮击开始了,克罗地亚人穿过山坡上的草地,穿过树林地带,进入了前线。 —

They fought in the dark in the rain and a counter-attack of scared men from the second line drove them back. —
他们在黑暗、雨中战斗,来自第二阵地的惊慌人群的反击把他们击退了。 —

There was much shelling and many rockets in the rain and machine-gun and rifle fire all along the line. —
炮火伴随着大雨和许多火箭弹,整条战线上的机枪和步枪火力都在响个不停。 —

They did not come again and it was quieter and between the gusts of wind and rain we could hear the sound of a great bombardment far to the north.
他们再也没有再次袭击,安静下来,在风雨阵阵中,我们能够听到北方远处一场大炮击的声音。

The wounded were coming into the post, some were carried on stretchers, some walking and some were brought on the backs of men that came across the field. —
伤员们被送进了前哨站,有些人被抬上担架,有些人步行而来,还有些人被背着过来。 —

They were wet to the skin and all were scared. —
他们浑身湿透,个个都很害怕。 —

We filled two cars with stretcher cases as they came up from the cellar of the post and as I shut the door of the second car and fastened it I felt the rain on my face turn to snow. —
当他们从地窖里过来时,我们用两辆车装满了担架病例,当我关上第二辆车的车门并系牢时,我感觉到脸上的雨变成了雪。 —

The flakes were coming heavy and fast in the rain.
雪花密集而快速地落下,夹杂在雨中。

When daylight came the storm was still blowing but the snow had stopped. —
天亮时,暴风仍在吹,但雪已经停了。 —

It had melted as it fell on the wet ground and now it was raining again. —
雪花落在潮湿的地面上瞬间就融化了,现在又开始下雨了。 —

There was another attack just after daylight but it was unsuccessful. —
天亮后不久,又发生了另一次进攻,但没有成功。 —

We expected an attack all day but it did not come until the sun was going down. —
我们整天都在预料会发生进攻,但直到太阳要下山时才来了。 —

The bombardment started to the south below the long wooded ridge where the Austrian guns were concentrated. —
炮击开始在南边的长木岭下方,那里是奥地利炮的集中地。 —

We expected a bombardment but it did not come. It was getting dark. —
我们预料会有炮击,但实际上没有。变得漆黑了。 —

Guns were firing from the field behind the village and the shells, going away, had a comfortable sound.
村庄后面的田野上的炮火响起,炮弹射出发出一种舒适的声音。

We heard that the attack to the south had been unsuccessful. —
我们听说南边的进攻失败了。 —

They did not attack that night but we heard that they had broken through to the north. —
他们那天晚上没有发动进攻,但我们听说他们已经向北突破了。 —

In the night word came that we were to prepare to retreat. The captain at the post told me this. —
夜里传来消息,我们准备撤退。前哨站的队长告诉了我这个消息。 —

He had it from the Brigade. A little while later he came from the telephone and said it was a lie. —
他是从旅队那里得知的。过了一会儿,他从电话处走来,说那是谎言。 —

The Brigade had received orders that the line of the Bainsizza should be held no matter what happened. —
旅团接到命令,不管发生什么情况都要坚守拜恩茨扎线。 —

I asked about the break through and he said that he had heard at the Brigade that the Austrians had broken through the twenty-seventh army corps up toward Caporetto. —
我询问突破情况,他说在旅团听说奥地利人已经突破第二十七军团,向卡波列托进发。 —

There had been a great battle in the north all day.
北部一整天都在进行激烈的战斗。

“If those bastards let them through we are cooked,” he said.
“如果那些混蛋放他们通过,我们就完蛋了,”他说。

“It’s Germans that are attacking,” one of the medical officers said. —
“攻击的是德国人,”一名医疗官员说。 —

The word Germans was something to be frightened of. —
德国人这个词让人感到害怕。 —

We did not want to have anything to do with the Germans.
我们不想与德国人有任何关系。

“There are fifteen divisions of Germans,” the medical officer said. —
“有十五个德国师,”医疗官员说。 —

“They have broken through and we will be cut off.”
“他们已经突破,我们将会被切断联系。”

“At the Brigade, they say this line is to be held. —
“旅团里说这条防线必须坚守。 —

They say they have not broken through badly and that we will hold a line across the mountains from Monte Maggiore.”
他们说敌军的突破并不严重,我们将会在莫特马焦雷穿过山脉拉起一道防线。

“Where do they hear this?”
“他们从哪里听到的这个消息?”

“From the Division.”
“从师部传来的信息。

“The word that we were to retreat came from the Division.”
“撤退的命令来自师部。”

“We work under the Army Corps,” I said. “But here I work under you. —
“我们在军团里工作,”我说。”但在这里我服从您的命令。” —

Naturally when you tell me to go I will go. —
当你告诉我该走的时候,我会走。 —

But get the orders straight.”
但是把命令搞清楚。

“The orders are that we stay here. You clear the wounded from here to the clearing station.”
“命令是我们待在这里。你把伤员从这里清到集结点去。”

“Sometimes we clear from the clearing station to the field hospitals too,” I said. —
“有时我们也清理从集结点到野战医院的伤员,” 我说。 —

“Tell me, I have never seen a retreat–if there is a retreat how are all the wounded evacuated?”
“告诉我,我从未见过撤退–如果真的发生了撤退,所有伤员是如何被疏散的呢?”

“They are not. They take as many as they can and leave the rest.”
“他们没有。他们带走尽可能多的人,留下其他人。”

“What will I take in the cars?”
“我要在车上带什么?”

“Hospital equipment.”
“医院设备。”

“All right,” I said.
“好的,” 我说。

The next night the retreat started. We heard that Germans and Austrians had broken through in the north and were coming down the mountain valleys toward Cividale and Udine. The retreat was orderly, wet and sullen. —
第二天晚上撤退开始了。我们听说德国人和奥地利人已经从北方突破,正沿着山谷向锡维达莱和乌迪内前进。撤退有秩序,湿漉漉而忧郁。 —

In the night, going slowly along the crowded roads we passed troops marching under the rain, guns, horses pulling wagons, mules, motor trucks, all moving away from the front. —
在夜晚,我们缓慢穿过拥挤的道路,经过在雨中行进的部队,有枪支,有拉货车的马,有骡子,有摩托车,所有的人都在远离前线。 —

There was no more disorder than in an advance.
没有比进攻时更混乱。

That night we helped empty the field hospitals that had been set up in the least ruined villages of the plateau, taking the wounded down to Plava on the river-bed: —
那个晚上我们帮助清空了高原上至少被毁坏的村庄设立的野战医院,把伤员带到了河床上的普拉瓦: —

and the next day hauled all day in the rain to evacuate the hospitals and clearing station at Plava. It rained steadily and the army of the Bainsizza moved down off the plateau in the October rain and across the river where the great victories had commenced in the spring of that year. —
第二天我们整天在雨中拉着拖车疏散普拉瓦的医院和集结点。雨一直下着,巴因西扎的军队在十月的雨中从高原上撤下来,穿过那条春天开始伟大胜利的河流。 —

We came into Gorizia in the middle of the next day. —
我们在第二天中午进入了戈里齐亚。 —

The rain had stopped and the town was nearly empty. —
雨停了,小镇几乎空无一人。 —

As we came up the street they were loading the girls from the soldiers’ whorehouse into a truck. —
当我们走过那条街时,他们正在把士兵妓院的女孩装上卡车。 —

There were seven girls and they had on their hats and coats and carried small suitcases. —
有七个女孩,她们戴着帽子和外套,还带着小手提箱。 —

Two of them were crying. Of the others one smiled at us and put out her tongue and fluttered it up and down. —
其中两个在哭泣。其他人中有一个对我们微笑,伸出舌头,上下抖动。 —

She had thick full lips and black eyes.
她有浓密的嘴唇和黑色的眼睛。

I stopped the car and went over and spoke to the matron. —
我停下车,走过去和舍监说话。 —

The girls from the officers’ house had left early that morning, she said. Where were they going? —
从军官宿舍出来的女孩们早晨就已经走了,她说。她们要去哪里? —

To Conegliano, she said. The truck started. —
她说去科内利亚诺。卡车启动了。 —

The girl with thick lips put out her tongue again at us. The matron waved. —
那个有浓密嘴唇的女孩又对我们伸出舌头。舍监挥手告别。 —

The two girls kept on crying. The others looked interestedly out at the town. —
那两个女孩一直在哭泣。其他人则兴致勃勃地朝外看着小镇。 —

I got back in the car.
我回到车里。

“We ought to go with them,” Bonello said. “That would be a good trip.”
“我们应该跟着她们去,” 博内洛说。”那会是一次不错的旅行。”

“We’ll have a good trip,” I said.
“我们会有一次美好的旅行,” 我说。

“We’ll have a hell of a trip.”
“我们会有一次坏透的旅行。”

“That’s what I mean,” I said. We came up the drive to the villa.
“我就是这个意思,” 我说。我们驶进了别墅的车道。

“I’d like to be there when some of those tough babies climb in and try and hop them.”
“我想在那些顽强的宝贝们爬进去并尝试跳跃的时候在那儿。”

“You think they will?”
“你觉得他们会这么做吗?”

“Sure. Everybody in the Second Army knows that matron.”
“当然。第二军队的每个人都认识那位女主任。”

We were outside the villa.
我们在别墅外面。

“They call her the Mother Superior,” Bonello said. —
“他们称她为院长。”Bonello说道。 —

“The girls are new but everybody knows her. —
“这些女孩是新来的,但每个人都认识她。 —

They must have brought them up just before the retreat.”
他们一定是在撤退前带来的。”

“They’ll have a time.”
“她们会受罚的。”

“I’ll say they’ll have a time. I’d like to have a crack at them for nothing. —
“我肯定她们会受罚。我想免费试试她们。 —

They charge too much at that house anyway. —
那家伙收费太高了。” —

The government gyps us.”
“政府欺骗我们。”

“Take the car out and have the mechanics go over it,” I said. —
“把车开出去,让修理工检查一下。”我说。 —

“Change the oil and check the differential. —
“换油,检查差速器。 —

Fill it up and then get some sleep.”
给它加满油,然后去睡觉。”

“Yes, Signor Tenente.”
“是的,上尉。”

The villa was empty. Rinaldi was gone with the hospital. —
别墅空无一人。Rinaldi已经跟着医院走了。 —

The major was gone taking hospital personnel in the staff car. —
小队长带着医院人员乘坐专车离开了。 —

There was a note on the window for me to fill the cars with the material piled in the hall and to proceed to Pordenone. —
窗户上留了张便条让我将堆积在大厅里的材料装进车里,然后前往波尔代诺。 —

The mechanics were gone already. I went out back to the garage. —
修理工们已经离开了。我走到后院的车库。 —

The other two cars came in while I was there and their drivers got down. —
当我在那里的时候,另外两辆车驶入并他们的司机下车了。 —

It was starting to rain again.
又开始下雨了。

“I’m so–sleepy I went to sleep three times coming here from Plava,” Piani said. —
“我好困,从普拉瓦开到这里我困了三次,” Piani说。 —

“What are we going to do, Tenente?”
“我们该怎么办,少尉?”

“We’ll change the oil, grease them, fill them up, then take them around in front and load up the junk they’ve left.”
“我们会换油,加润滑油,给它们加满油,然后开到前面装载他们留下的破烂。”

“Then do we start?”
“然后我们就出发吗?”

“No, we’ll sleep for three hours.”
“不,我们会睡三个小时。”

“Christ I’m glad to sleep,” Bonello said. “I couldn’t keep awake driving.”
“天,我真高兴能睡觉,” Bonello说。”开车时我都快睡着了。”

“How’s your car, Aymo?” I asked.
“你的车怎么样,Aymo?” 我问。

“It’s all right.”
“没问题。”

“Get me a monkey suit and I’ll help you with the oil.”
“给我来套工作服,我会帮你换油。”

“Don’t you do that, Tenente,” Aymo said. “Ifs nothing to do. You go and pack your things.”
“阿伊莫说:“别这样做,上尉。没什么可做的。你去收拾行李吧。”

“My things are all packed,” I said. “I’ll go and carry out the stuff that they left for us. —
“我的行李都打包好了,”我说。“我去把他们留给我们的东西运出来。” —

Bring the cars around as soon as they’re ready.”
等车一准备好就把车开过来。”

They brought the cars around to the front of the villa and we loaded them with the hospital equipment which was piled in the hallway. —
他们把车开到别墅前,我们把堆在走廊里的医疗设备装上车。 —

When it was all in, the three cars stood in line down the driveway under the trees in the rain. We went inside.
全部搬完后,三辆车在大道上的树荫下排成一排在雨中。我们走进屋里。

“Make a fire in the kitchen and dry your things,” I said.
“在厨房点火烘干你的衣服,”我说。

“I don’t care about dry clothes,” Piani said. “I want to sleep.”
“我不在乎干不干的衣服,”皮亚尼说。“我想睡觉。”

“I’m going to sleep on the major’s bed,” Bonello said. —
“我要睡在少校的床上,”博内洛说。 —

“I’m going to sleep where the old man corks off.”
“我要睡在老头掉的那里。”

“I don’t care where I sleep,” Piani said.
“我不在乎在哪里睡,”皮亚尼说。

“There are two beds in here.” I opened the door.
“这里有两张床。”我打开了门。

“I never knew what was in that room,” Bonello said.
“我从未知道这个房间里是什么,”博内洛说。

“That was old fish-face’s room,” Piani said.
“那是老鱼脸的房间,”皮亚尼说。

“You two sleep in there,” I said. “I’ll wake you.”
“你们两个在里面睡觉,”我说。“我会叫醒你们。”

“The Austrians will wake us if you sleep too long, Tenente,” Bonello said.
“如果你睡太久,奥地利人会叫醒我们的,上尉,”博内洛说。

“I won’t oversleep,” I said. “Where’s Aymo?”
“我不会睡过头,”我说。“Aymo在哪里?”

“He went out in the kitchen.”
“他出去厨房了。”

“Get to sleep,” I said.
“去睡觉吧,”我说。

“I’ll sleep,” Piani said. “I’ve been asleep sitting up all day. —
“我会睡觉的,”Piani说。“我整天都坐着睡着了。 —

The whole top of my head kept coming down over my eyes.”
我的整个头顶总是压到眼睛上。”

“Take your boots off,” Bonello said. “That’s old fish-face’s bed.”
“把靴子脱了,”Bonello说。“那是老“鱼脸”的床。”

“Fish-face is nothing to me.” Piani lay on the bed, his muddy boots straight out, his head on his arm. —
“鱼脸对我毫无意义。”Piani躺在床上,他泥泞的靴子伸展开来,头枕在手臂上。 —

I went out to the kitchen. Aymo had a fire in the stove and a kettle of water on.
我走出去到厨房。Aymo 炉子里生了火,水壶里烧着水。

“I thought I’d start some pasta asciutta,” he said. “We’ll be hungry when we wake up.”
“我想做些意大利面”,他说。“我们醒来会饿的。”

“Aren’t you sleepy, Bartolomeo?”
“你困不困,Bartolomeo?”

“Not so sleepy. When the water boils I’ll leave it. The fire will go down.”
“没有那么困。水烧开后我就会离开。火会消下去。”

“You’d better get some sleep,” I said. “We can eat cheese and monkey meat.”
“你最好去睡觉,”我说。“我们可以吃起司和猴肉。”

“This is better,” he said. “Something hot will be good for those two anarchists. —
“这样更好,”他说。“热东西会对那两个无政府主义者有好处。” —

You go to sleep, Tenente.”
“你去睡觉吧,Tenente。”

“There’s a bed in the major’s room.”
“少校的房间有张床。”

“You sleep there.”
“你就在那里睡吧。”

“No, I’m going up to my old room. Do you want a drink, Bartolomeo?”
“不,我要去我以前的房间。巴托洛梅奥,你要喝点什么吗?”

“When we go, Tenente. Now it wouldn’t do me any good.”
“我们走的时候就喝,警官。现在没有也没关系。”

“If you wake in three hours and I haven’t called you, wake me, will you?”
“如果三个小时后我还没叫醒你,你叫醒我,好吗?”

“I haven’t any watch, Tenente.”
“我没有手表,警官。”

“There’s a clock on the wall in the major’s room.”
“主任的房间墙上有个钟。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I went out then through the dining-room and the hall and up the marble stairs to the room where I had lived with Rinaldi. —
我走出餐厅,穿过大厅,走上大理石楼梯,来到我跟里纳尔迪住过的房间。” —

It was raining outside. I went to the window and looked out. —
外面正在下雨。我走到窗前向外看去。 —

It was getting dark and I saw the three cars standing in line under the trees. —
天渐渐暗下来,我看到三辆车在树下排成一排。 —

The trees were dripping in the rain. It was cold and the drops hung to the branches. —
树上的雨滴不停地滴下来。天很冷,水珠挂在树枝上。 —

I went back to Rinaldi’s bed and lay down and let sleep take me.
我回到里纳尔迪的床上躺下,让睡意袭来。

We ate in the kitchen before we started. Aymo had a basin of spaghetti with onions and tinned meat chopped up in it. —
出发前我们在厨房吃了饭。艾莫端来一盆拌有洋葱和罐头肉末的意面。 —

We sat around the table and drank two bottles of the wine that had been left in the cellar of the villa. —
我们坐在桌子旁,喝了地窖里剩下的两瓶葡萄酒。 —

It was dark outside and still raining. Piani sat at the table very sleepy.
外面已经很黑,雨仍在下着。皮亚尼坐在桌前,非常昏昏欲睡。

“I like a retreat better than an advance,” Bonello said. “On a retreat we drink barbera.”
“我更喜欢撤退胜过进攻,”Bonello说。“在撤退时我们喝barbera葡萄酒。”

“We drink it now. To-morrow maybe we drink rainwater,”
“我们现在喝它。也许明天我们喝雨水,”Aymo说。

Aymo said.
他说。

“To-morrow we’ll be in Udine. We’ll drink champagne. —
“明天我们会在乌迪内喝香槟。 —

That’s where the slackers live. Wake up, Piani! —
那里是懒汉的地方。醒醒,皮亚尼! —

We’ll drink champagne tomorrow in Udine!”
明天我们会在乌迪内喝香槟!”

“I’m awake,” Piani said. He filled his plate with the spaghetti and meat. —
“我醒着呢,”皮亚尼说。他把盘子里装满了意面和肉。 —

“Couldn’t you find tomato sauce, Barto?”
“你找不到番茄酱吗,巴托?”

“There wasn’t any,” Aymo said.
“没有了,”艾莫说。

“We’ll drink champagne in Udine,” Bonello said. He filled his glass with the clear red barbera.
“我们会在乌迪内喝香槟,”Bonello说。他把杯子里倒满了清澈的红色barbera葡萄酒。

“We may drink–before Udine,” Piani said.
“也许我们在乌迪内之前就会喝掉它,”皮亚尼说。

“Have you eaten enough, Tenente?” Aymo asked.
“你吃得够了吗,少校?”艾莫问。

“I’ve got plenty. Give me the bottle, Bartolomeo.”
“我吃得很多。把酒瓶给我,巴托洛梅奥。”

“I have a bottle apiece to take in the cars,” Aymo said.
“我已经给每辆车准备了一瓶,”艾莫说。

“Did you sleep at all?”
“你睡了吗?”

“I don’t need much sleep. I slept a little.”
“我不需要很多睡眠。我睡了一会儿。”

“To-morrow we’ll sleep in the king’s bed,” Bonello said. He was feeling very good.
“明天我们将睡在国王的床上,” 博内洛说。他感觉非常好。

“To-morrow maybe we’ll sleep in–,” Piani said.
“也许明天我们会睡在–,” 皮亚尼说。

“I’ll sleep with the queen,” Bonello said. He looked to see how I took the joke.
“我要和王后睡,” 博内洛说。他看着我看笑话的反应。

“You’ll sleep with–,” Piani said sleepily.
“你要和–睡,” 皮亚尼困意朦胧地说。

“That’s treason, Tenente,” Bonello said. “Isn’t that treason?”
“这是叛国,中尉,” 博内洛说。”中尉,这不是叛国吗?”

“Shut up,” I said. “You get too funny with a little wine.” —
“闭嘴,” 我说。”你喝点酒就开始胡说八道了。” —

Outside it was raining hard. I looked at my watch. —
外面雨下得很大。我看了一下表。 —

It was half-past nine.
已经是九点半了。

“It’s time to roll,” I said and stood up.
“该走了,” 我说站起来。

“Who are you going to ride with, Tenehte?” Bonello asked.
“你要和谁一起骑马,中尉?” 博内洛问。

“With Aymo. Then you come. Then Piani. We’ll start out on the road for Cormons.”
“和艾莫一起。然后你来。接着是皮亚尼。我们将出发前往科尔蒙斯的路上。”

“I’m afraid I’ll go to sleep,” Piani said.
“我怕自己睡着了,” 皮亚尼说。

“All right. I’ll ride with you. Then Bonello. Then Aymo.”
“好吧。我和你一起骑。然后博内洛。再然后是艾莫。”

“That’s the best way,” Piani said. “Because I’m so sleepy.”
“这是最好的方式,” 皮亚尼说。”因为我实在太困了。”

“I’ll drive and you sleep awhile.”
“我会开车,你睡一会儿吧。”

“No. I can drive just so long as I know somebody will wake me up if I go to sleep.”
“不,只要我知道有人会在我睡着时叫醒我,我就可以开车。”

“I’ll wake you up. Put out the lights, Barto.”
“我来叫醒你。关掉灯,巴尔托。”

“You might as well leave them,” Bonello said. “We’ve got no more use for this place.”
“反正我们不会再用到这个地方了,就把灯留着吧,” 博内洛说。

“I have a small locker trunk in my room,” I said. “Will you help take it down, Piani?”
“我房间里有一个小行李箱,皮亚尼,你能帮忙搬下去吗?”

“We’ll take it,” Piani said. “Come on, Aldo.” He went off into the hall with Bonello. —
“我们来搬,” 皮亚尼说。 “阿尔多,过来。” 他和博内洛走进大厅。 —

I heard them going upstairs.
我听见他们上楼去了。

“This was a fine place,” Bartolomeo Aymo said. —
“这是个好地方,” 巴托洛梅奥·艾莫说。 —

He put two bottles of wine and half a cheese into his haversack. —
他把两瓶酒和一半奶酪放进背包里。 —

“There won’t be a place like this again. —
“再也找不到这样的地方了。 —

Where will they retreat to, Tenente?”
他们会退到哪里,中尉?”

“Beyond the Tagliamento, they say. The hospital and the sector are to be at Pordenone.”
“据说是勒门托以外的泰拿门托地区。医院和部队都要撤到波代诺内。”

“This is a better town than Pordenone.”
“这个城镇比波代诺内好些。”

“I don’t know Pordenone,” I said. “I’ve just been through there.”
“我不了解波代诺内,” 我说。 “我只是路过那里。”

“It’s not much of a place,” Aymo said.
“那地方不怎么样,” 艾莫说。