One day in the afternoon we went to the races. —
一天下午我们去看赛马。 —

Ferguson went too and Crowell Rodgers, the boy who had been wounded in the eyes by the explosion of the shell nose-cap. —
弗格森也去了,还有克罗韦尔·罗杰斯,那个在炮弹鼻头爆炸中受伤的男孩。 —

The girls dressed to go after lunch while Crowell and I sat on the bed in his room and read the past performances of the horses and the predictions in the racing paper. —
女孩们在午饭后穿好衣服去赛场,而克罗韦尔和我坐在他的房间床上读赛马过往表现和赛马报纸的预测。 —

Crowell’s head was bandaged and he did not care much about these races but read the racing paper constantly and kept track of all the horses for something to do. —
克罗韦尔的头上绑着绷带,他对这些赛马并不太感兴趣,但经常读赛马报纸,跟踪所有的马匹,只是为了找点事情做。 —

He said the horses were a terrible lot but they were all the horses we had. —
他说这些马匹确实不怎么样,但他们就是我们所有的马。 —

Old Meyers liked him and gave him tips. Meyers won on nearly every race but disliked to give tips because it brought down the prices. —
老梅耶很喜欢他,给了他一些线索。梅耶几乎每场比赛都赢了,但不喜欢给线索因为这会降低赔率。 —

The racing was very crooked. Men who had been ruled off the turf everywhere else were racing in Italy. Meyers’ information was good but I hated to ask him because sometimes he did not answer, and always you could see it hurt him to tell you, but he felt obligated to tell us for some reason and he hated less to tell Crowell. —
赛马很邪门。那些在其他地方被取消赛马资格的人在意大利比赛。梅耶的信息很准确,但我讨厌向他要因为有时他不回答,而且你总能看出他告诉你这些信息让他感到不愉快,但出于某种原因他觉得自己有义务告诉我们,而他更不讨厌告诉克罗韦尔。 —

Crowell’s eyes had been hurt, one was hurt badly, and Meyers had trouble with his eyes and so he liked Crowell. —
克罗韦尔的眼睛受伤了,其中一只受伤很重,梅耶也有眼睛问题,所以他喜欢克罗韦尔。 —

Meyers never told his wife what horses he was playing and she won or lost, mostly lost, and talked all the time.
梅耶从不告诉他妻子他在玩哪些马,她总是输,大多数是输,而且一直在说个不停。

We four drove out to San Siro in an open carriage. —
我们四个人乘坐开着的马车去了圣西罗。 —

It was a lovely day and we drove out through the park and out along the tramway and out of town where the road was dusty. —
那是一个美好的日子,我们穿过公园,沿着电车道离开城市,走上尘土飞扬的乡间小路。 —

There were villas with iron fences and big overgrown gardens and ditches with water flowing and green vegetable gardens with dust on the leaves. —
那里有铁栅栏的别墅和破败的大花园,路边有流水的沟渠和带尘土的绿色菜园。 —

We could look across the plain and see farmhouses and the rich green farms with their irrigation ditches and the mountains to the north. —
我们可以眺望平原,看到农舍和富饶的农田,带有灌溉沟渠,北面是山脉。 —

There were many carriages going into the race track and the men at the gate let us in without cards because we were in uniform. —
去赛场的马车很多,门口的人员看到我们穿军装就让我们进去,不需要卡片。 —

We left the carriage, bought programmes, and walked across the infield and then across the smooth thick turf of the course to the paddock. —
我们下了马车,买了节目册,走过内场,然后过了平整的草地到达马厩。 —

The grand-stands were old and made of wood and the betting booths were under the stands and in a row out near the stables. —
看台很陈旧,由木头制成,而下注处则位于看台下面,在马厩附近排成一排。 —

There was a crowd of soldiers along the fence in the infield. —
棒球场内侧的篱笆旁挤满了士兵。 —

The paddock was fairly well filled with people and they were walking the horses around in a ring under the trees behind the grandstand. —
马厩相当拥挤,人们在树荫下的环形赛道上走动着马匹。 —

We saw people we knew and got chairs for Ferguson and Catherine and watched the horses.
我们看到了认识的人,为Ferguson和Catherine拿了椅子,然后一起观看马匹。

They went around, one after the other, their heads down, the grooms leading them. —
他们一个接一个地绕着场地走,低着头,跟在马匹身后的人对着它们。 —

One horse, a purplish black, Crowell swore was dyed that color. —
一匹马,深紫黑色,Crowell发誓是染色的。 —

We watched him and it seemed possible. He had only come out just before the bell rang to saddle. —
我们仔细看了看,这个可能性成立。他在马赛开始前才刚出来。 —

We looked him up in the programme from the number on the groom’s arm and it was listed a black gelding named Japalac. —
我们在节目单上找到了关于他的信息,根据骑手胳膊上的号码,他被列为一匹名叫Japalac的黑色阉马。 —

The race was for horses that had never won a race worth one thousand lire or more. —
这场比赛是为那些从未赢得价值一千里或更高奖金的马匹准备的。 —

Catherine was sure his color had been changed. Ferguson said she could not tell. —
Catherine确信它的颜色被改变了。Ferguson说她无法确定。 —

I thought he looked suspicious. We all agreed we ought to back him and pooled one hundred lire. —
我觉得它看起来可疑。我们都同意我们应该支持他,共同出了一百里。 —

The odds sheets showed he would pay thirty-five to one. —
赔率表显示他将赔付三十五对一。 —

Crowell went over and bought the tickets while we watched the jockeys ride around once more and then go out under the trees to the track and gallop slowly up to the turn where the start was to be.
Crowell去买了票,而我们则看着骑手再次骑马绕场,然后走出树下的赛道,慢慢地向起跑线跑去。

We went up in the grand-stand to watch the race. —
我们去了看台上观看比赛。 —

They had no elastic barrier at San Siro then and the starter lined up all the horses, they looked very small way up the track, and then sent them off with a crack of his long whip. —
当时的圣西罗还没有弹性屏障,发令员排列好所有马匹,它们在远处看起来很小,然后带着长鞭的发令员一声猛烈的鞭炮声让它们出发。 —

They came past us with the black horse well in front and on the turn he was running away from the others. —
他们从我们身边跑过去,黑马领先其他马匹,在拐弯的时候,它已经远远甩开了其他马匹。 —

I watched them on the far side with the glasses and saw the jockey fighting to hold him in but he could not hold him and when they came around the turn and into the stretch the black horse was fifteen lengths ahead of the others. —
我用望远镜观察他们在远处,看到骑手拼命控制着他,但无法阻止他,当他们转过拐角来到伸展赛道时,黑马领先其他马匹十五个马长。 —

He went way on up and around the turn after the finish.
比赛结束后,他继续向前走了很远,绕过了拐弯。

“Isn’t it wonderful,” Catherine said. “We’ll have over three thousand lire. —
“太棒了,” 凯瑟琳说道。”我们将赢得三千多里拉。 —

He must be a splendid horse.”
他一定是匹出色的马。

“I hope his color doesn’t run,” Crowell said, “before they pay off.”
“希望他的颜色在赔偿之前不掉色,” 克劳尔说道。

“He was really a lovely horse,” Catherine said. “I wonder if Mr. Meyers backed him.”
凯瑟琳说:”他真是匹可爱的马。我想知道梅耶斯先生是否押注他。

“Did you have the winner?” I called to Meyers. He nodded.
我向梅耶斯喊道:”你押中赢家了吗?”他点了点头。

“I didn’t,” Mrs. Meyers said. “Who did you children bet on?”
“我没有,” 梅耶斯夫人说。”你们孩子们押注的是哪匹马?

“Japalac.”
“贾帕拉克。”

“Really? He’s thirty-five to one!”
“真的吗?他是三十五对一呢!”

“We liked his color.”
“我们喜欢他的颜色。”

“I didn’t. I thought he looked seedy. They told me not to back him.”
“我不喜欢。我觉得他看起来有点不好。有人告诉我不要押注他。

“He won’t pay much,” Meyers said.
“他的赔率标为三十五对一,” 我说。

“He’s marked thirty-five to one in the quotes,” I said.
“他不会报太高的赔率,” 梅耶斯说。

“He won’t pay much. At the last minute,” Meyers said, “they put a lot of money on him.”
“他不会付很多。最后一刻,”迈尔斯说,“他们在他身上下了很多赌注。”

“No.”
“不。”

“Kempton and the boys. You’ll see. He won’t pay two to one.”
“肯普顿和那些家伙。你会看到的。他不会付两比一。”

“Then we won’t get three thousand lire,” Catherine said. “I don’t like this crooked racing!”
“那么我们就拿不到三千里拉了,”凯瑟琳说。“我不喜欢这种不正当的赛马!”

“We’ll get two hundred lire.”
“我们会拿到两百里拉。”

“That’s nothing. That doesn’t do us any good. I thought we were going to get three thousand.”
“那太少了。对我们没什么好处。我还以为我们能拿到三千。”

“It’s crooked and disgusting,” Ferguson said.
“这太不正当和恶心了,”弗格森说。

“Of course,” said Catherine, “if it hadn’t been crooked we’d never have backed him at all. —
“当然,”凯瑟琳说,“如果不是不正当的话,我们根本不会支持他。” —

But I would have liked the three thousand lire.”
不过我还是想要三千里拉。”

“Let’s go down and get a drink and see what they pay,” Crowell said. —
“我们去喝一杯,看看他们付多少,”克罗威尔说。 —

We went out to where they posted the numbers and the bell rang to pay off and they put up 18.50 after Japalac to win. —
我们走到悬挂数字的地方,铃声响起,付钱的人贴出了在Japalac获胜后的18.50。 —

That meant he paid less than even money on a ten-lira bet.
这意味着他在十里拉的赌注上支付的不到赔率。

We went to the bar under the grand-stand and had a whiskey and soda apiece. —
我们到了看台下的酒吧,每人来了一杯威士忌苏打。 —

We ran into a couple of Italians we knew and McAdams, the vice-consul, and they came up with us when we joined the girls. —
我们遇到几个我们认识的意大利人和副领事麦克亚当姆斯,他们和我们一起走向女孩们。 —

The Italians were full of manners and McAdams talked to Catherine while we went down to bet again. —
意大利人们充满了礼貌,而麦克亚当姆斯和凯瑟琳聊天的时候,我们下去再下注。 —

Mr. Meyers was standing near the pari-mutuel.
迈尔斯站在共�-�窗附近。

“Ask him what he played,” I said to Crowell.
“问问他买的是哪个号码,” 我对克罗威尔说。

“What are you on, Mr. Meyers?” Crowell asked. —
“你买的是哪个号码,迈尔斯先生?” 克罗�-�尔问。 —

Meyers took out his programme and pointed to the number five with his pencil.
迈尔斯拿出他的节目单,用铅笔指着号码五。

“Do you mind if we play him too?” Crowell asked.
“我们也下这个号码可以吗?” 克罗威尔问。

“Go ahead. Go ahead. But don’t tell my wife I gave it to you.”
“当然可以。但是别告诉我妻子我告诉你的。”

“Will you have a drink?” I asked.
“要来一杯饮料吗?” 我问。

“No thanks. I never drink.”
“不用了,我从不喝酒。”

We put a hundred lire on number five to win and a hundred to place and then had another whiskey and soda apiece. —
我们下了一百里拉在号码五上赢,又下了一百里拉在号码五上列,然后又各自来了一杯威士忌苏打。 —

I was feeling very good and we picked up a couple more Italians, who each had a drink with us, and went back to the girls. —
我感觉非常好,我们又接了两个意大利人,他们和我们一起喝了一杯,然后回到了女孩们那里。 —

These Italians were also very mannered and matched manners with the two we had collected before. —
这两个意大利人也非常有礼貌,与我们之前认识的两位一样有礼貌。 —

In a little while no one could sit down. —
过了一会儿,没人愿意坐下来。 —

I gave the tickets to Catherine.
我把票给了凯瑟琳。

“What horse is it?”
“是哪匹马?”

“I don’t know. Mr. Meyers’ choice.”
“我不知道,是迈尔斯选择的。”

“Don’t you even know the name?”
“你连名字都不知道吗?”

“No. You can find it on the programme. Number five I think.”
“不知道。你可以在节目单上找到。我想是第五个。”

“You have touching faith,” she said. The number five won but did not pay anything. —
“你真是有着令人感动的信念,”她说。第五号马赢了,但没有付任何报酬。 —

Mr. Meyers was angry.
梅耶尔先生很生气。

“You have to put up two hundred lire to make twenty,” he said. —
“你得拿出两百里拉才能赢二十,” 他说。 —

“Twelve lire for ten. It’s not worth it. —
“十个要十二里拉,不值得。 —

My wife lost twenty lire.”
我太太赔了二十里拉。

“I’ll go down with you,” Catherine said to me. —
“我会和你一起下去,” 凯瑟琳对我说。 —

The Italians all stood up. We went downstairs and out to the paddock.
意大利人都站了起来。我们下楼走出去到了跑马场。

“Do you like this?” Catherine asked.
“你喜欢这里吗?” 凯瑟琳问。

“Yes. I guess I do.”
“是的。我想我喜欢。”

“It’s all right, I suppose,” she said. “But, darling, I can’t stand to see so many people.”
“我想还好吧,” 她说。 “但是,亲爱的,我受不了看到这么多人。”

“We don’t see many.”
“我们看到的不多。

“No. But those Meyers and the man from the bank with his wife and daughters–”
“是的。但是那些梅耶尔和银行家带着妻子和女儿–”

“He cashes my sight drafts,” I said.
“他兑现我的即期汇票,” 我说。

“Yes but some one else would if he didn’t. Those last four boys were awful.”
“是的,但如果他不做的话,别人会做。那最后那四个男孩太糟糕了。”

“We can stay out here and watch the race from the fence.”
“我们可以留在这里,在栅栏边观看比赛。”

“That will be lovely. And, darling, let’s back a horse we’ve never heard of and that Mr. Meyers won’t be backing.”
“那会很美好。亲爱的,让我们支持一个我们从未听说过的马匹,Mr. Meyers也不会支持的马匹。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

We backed a horse named Light For Me that finished fourth in a field of five. —
我们支持了一匹名叫Light For Me的马,在五匹马中排名第四。 —

We leaned on the fence and watched the horses go by, their hoofs thudding as they went past, and saw the mountains off in the distance and Milan beyond the trees and the fields.
我们倚在栅栏上,看着马匹奔过,他们的蹄声随着他们的跑过而震荡,远处的山和树林和田野以及米兰尽收眼底。

“I feel so much cleaner,” Catherine said. —
“我感觉自己清爽多了,” Catherine说。 —

The horses were coming back, through the gate, wet and sweating, the jockeys quieting them and riding up to dismount under the trees.
马匹们回来了,穿过大门,全身湿漉漉地在树下停下,骑手们让它们安静下来,下来照顾它们。

“Wouldn’t you like a drink? We could have one out here and see the horses.”
“你想要喝点什么吗?我们可以在这里喝一杯,看看马匹。”

“I’ll get them,” I said.
“我去拿,”我说。

“The boy will bring them,” Catherine said. —
“这个小伙子会拿来的,” Catherine说。 —

She put her hand up and the boy came out from the Pagoda bar beside the stables. —
她举起手,那个男孩从马厩旁的亭子酒吧里出来。 —

We sat down at a round iron table.
我们坐在一个圆形铁桌旁。

“Don’t you like it better when we’re alone?”
“我们独处时你不是更喜欢吗?”

“Yes,” I said.
“是的,”我说。

“I felt very lonely when they were all there.”
他们都在的时候我觉得非常孤独。

“It’s grand here,” I said.
“这里真棒,”我说。

“Yes. It’s really a pretty course.”
“是的,这条球场真是漂亮。”

“It’s nice.”
“很不错。”

“Don’t let me spoil your fun, darling. I’ll go back whenever you want.”
“亲爱的,别让我影响到你的快乐。你想走的时候我会回去的。”

“No,” I said. “We’ll stay here and have our drink. —
“不,”我说。“我们会留在这里喝一杯。 —

Then we’ll go down and stand at the water jump for the steeplechase.”
接着我们会下去站在障碍水池跳马赛的地方。”

“You’re awfully good to me,” she said.
“你对我太好了,”她说。

After we had been alone awhile we were glad to see the others again. We had a good time.
待我们独处了一会儿后,见到其他人我们很高兴。我们玩得很开心。