By the middle of January I had a beard and the winter had settled into bright cold days and hard cold nights. —
到了一月中旬,我留起了胡须,冬天降临,白天寒冷刺骨,夜晚更是寒冷刺骨。 —

We could walk on the roads again. The snow was packed hard and smooth by the hay-sleds and wood-sledges and the logs that were hauled down the mountain. —
我们又可以在路上行走了。雪被干硬并光滑地踩平,是草料车和木料雪橇以及从山上运下来的木头铺平的。 —

The snow lay over all the country, down almost to Montreux. —
雪覆盖了整个乡村,几乎一直延伸到蒙特勒。 —

The mountains on the other side of the lake were all white and the plain of the Rhone Valley was covered. —
湖的对面的山峰都被白雪覆盖,罗纳山谷的平原也是一片白茫茫。 —

We took long walks on the other side of the mountain to the Bains de l’Alliaz. —
我们去山的另一边漫步到了阿利亚兹温泉。 —

Catherine wore hobnailed boots and a cape and carried a stick with a sharp steel point. —
凯瑟琳穿着钉底靴和披风,手里拿着一根带有锋利钢尖的手杖。 —

She did not look big with the cape and we would not walk too fast but stopped and sat on logs by the roadside to rest when she was tired.
她披着披风看起来不算高大,我们也不会走得太快,走累了就停下来在路边的木头上坐着休息。

There was an inn in the trees at the Bains de l’Alliaz where the woodcutters stopped to drink, and we sat inside warmed by the stove and drank hot red wine with spices and lemon in it. —
那里有家树林中的小酒馆,在那里伐木工人们休息喝酒,我们在里面坐着,被火炉温暖着,喝着装有香料和柠檬的热红酒。 —

They called it gluhwein and it was a good thing to warm you and to celebrate with. —
他们把它称为隆温酒,暖人的同时也是庆祝的好方式。 —

The inn was dark and smoky inside and afterward when you went out the cold air came sharply into your lungs and numbed the edge of your nose as you inhaled. —
小酒馆里黑漆漆的,烟雾弥漫,当你走出去后,冰冷的空气会急剧冲入你的肺部,一吸气鼻尖就被冻麻。 —

We looked back at the inn with light coming from the windows and the woodcutters’ horses stamping and jerking their heads outside to keep warm. —
我们回头看着酒馆,窗户里透出光亮,伐木工人的马在外面跺脚摆头取暖。 —

There was frost on the hairs of their muzzles and their breathing made plumes of frost in the air. —
他们的口鼻上结了霜,呼气在空气中凝成一片片霜凝。 —

Going up the road toward home the road was smooth and slippery for a while and the ice orange from the horses until the wood-hauling track turned off. —
上山回家的路一度变得干燥而又光滑,马蹄上的冰被踏得橙黄,直到木材运送的轨道分离为止。 —

Then the road was clean-packed snow and led through the woods, and twice coming home in the evening, we saw foxes.
然后路就变成了洁净的压实雪地通往树林,两次傍晚回家时,我们看到了狐狸。

It was a fine country and every time that we went out it was fun.
这是个美丽的乡村,每次出去都很有乐趣。

“You have a splendid beard now,” Catherine said. —
“凯瑟琳说:“你现在有一须发如瀑布。” —

“It looks just like the woodcutters’. Did you see the man with the tiny gold earrings?”
“看起来就像木匠的。你看到那个戴着小金耳环的男人了吗?

“He’s a chamois hunter,” I said. “They wear them because they say it makes them hear better.”
“他是瞪羚猎人,”我说。“他们说这样能让他们听得更清楚。”

“Really? I don’t believe it. I think they wear them to show they are chamois hunters. —
“真的吗?我不相信。我觉得他们戴着它们是为了显示他们是瞪羚猎人。 —

Are there chamois near here?”
“这附近有瞪羚吗?”

“Yes, beyond the Dent de Jaman.”
“有的,在亚曼齿(Dent de Jaman)之外。”

“It was fun seeing the fox.”
“看到那只狐狸真好。”

“When he sleeps he wraps that tail around him to keep warm.”
“当它睡觉时,会把尾巴缠在身上保暖。”

“It must be a lovely feeling.”
“那一定是一种可爱的感觉。”

“I always wanted to have a tail like that. Wouldn’t it be fun if we had brushes like a fox?”
“我一直想要有这样的尾巴。如果我们像狐狸一样有刷子会多有趣啊?”

“It might be very difficult dressing.”
“穿衣服可能会很困难。”

“We’d have clothes made, or live in a country where it wouldn’t make any difference.”
“我们会定制衣服,或者生活在一个无所谓的国家。”

“We live in a country where nothing makes any difference. —
“我们生活在一个什么都无所谓的国家。 —

Isn’t it grand how we never see any one? —
“我们从来没有看见别人,这不是很棒吗? —

You don’t want to see people do you, darling?”
“亲爱的,你不想看见人,对吗?””

“No.”
“不。”

“Should we sit here just a minute? I’m a little bit tired.”
“我们在这里坐一会儿好吗?我有点累了。”

We sat close together on the logs. Ahead the road went down through the forest.
“我们紧靠着坐在原木上。前方的道路穿过森林往下延伸。”

“She won’t come between us, will she? The little brat.”
“她不会来影响我们,对吧?那个小乳臭未乾的家伙。”

“No. We won’t let her.”
“不会。我们不会让她干预我们的。”

“How are we for money?”
“我们的钱够用吗?”

“We have plenty. They honored the last sight draft.”
“足够了。他们兑现了上一张即期汇票。”

“Won’t your family try and get hold of you now they know you’re in Switzerland?”
“既然你家人知道你在瑞士,他们不会想办法找你吗?”

“Probably. I’ll write them something.”
“可能会。我会写封信给他们。”

“Haven’t you written them?”
“你没给他们写信吗?”

“No. Only the sight draft.”
“没有。只是发了即期汇票。”

“Thank God I’m not your family.”
“感谢上帝我不是你的家人。”

“I’ll send them a cable.”
“我会给他们发一封电报。”

“Don’t you care anything about them?”
“你对他们一点都不在乎吗?”

“I did, but we quarrelled so much it wore itself out.”
“过去我在乎过,但我们吵架太多,感情也磨灭了。”

“I think I’d like them. I’d probably like them very much.”
“我想我会喜欢他们。我可能会非常喜欢他们。”

“Let’s not talk about them or I’ll start to worry about them.” —
“不要谈论他们,否则我会开始担心他们。” —

After a while I said, “Let’s go on if you’re rested.”
过了一会儿,我说:“如果你休息好了,我们继续走吧。”

“I’m rested.”
“我休息好了。”

We went on down the road. It was dark now and the snow squeaked under our boots. —
我们继续沿着道路走下去。现在天已经黑了,雪在我们的靴子下发出吱吱的声音。 —

The night was dry and cold and very clear.
夜晚是干燥、寒冷且非常清晰的。

“I love your beard,” Catherine said. “It’s a great success. —
“我喜欢你的胡须,” 凯瑟琳说。“它太成功了。” —

It looks so stiff and fierce and it’s very soft and a great pleasure.”
它看起来又僵硬又凶猛,但触感却非常柔软,令人极度愉悦。

“Do you like it better than without?”
“你喜欢这样还是喜欢没梳的更多?”

“I think so. You know, darling, I’m not going to cut my hair now until after young Catherine’s born. —
“我想是吧。亲爱的,你知道,我不准备现在剪发,要等小凯瑟琳出生。 —

I look too big and matronly now. But after she’s born and I’m thin again I’m going to cut it and then I’ll be a fine new and different girl for you. —
我现在看起来太庞大和像中年妇女了。但等她出生后,我再变得苗条,我会去剪发,那时我会是一个崭新的不同的女孩,专属于你。 —

We’ll go together and get it cut, or I’ll go alone and come and surprise you.”
我们一起去剪发,或者我独自去,然后回来给你一个惊喜。”

I did not say anything.
我没说话。

“You won’t say I can’t, will you?”
“你不会说我不能剪,对吧?”

“No. I think it would be exciting.”
“不会的。我觉得会很兴奋的。”

“Oh, you’re so sweet. And maybe I’d look lovely, darling, and be so thin and exciting to you and you’ll fall in love with me all over again.”
“哦,你真是太好了。也许我看起来会很可爱,亲爱的,而且变得苗条和让你激动,你会再次对我动情吧?”

“Hell,” I said, “I love you enough now. What do you want to do? Ruin me?”
“天呐,”我说,”我现在就足够爱你了。你想干什么?毁了我吗?”

“Yes. I want to ruin you.”
“是的。我想毁了你。”

“Good,” I said, “that’s what I want too.”
“很好,”我说,”那正是我想要的。”