In September the first cool nights came, then the days were cool and the leaves on the trees in the park began to turn color and we knew the summer was gone. —
九月份,第一批凉爽的夜晚来临,接着白天也凉爽起来,公园里的树叶开始变色,我们知道夏天已经过去了。 —

The fighting at the front went very badly and they could not take San Gabriele. —
正面作战进行得非常糟糕,他们无法占领圣加布里埃勒。 —

The fighting on the Bainsizza plateau was over and by the middle of the month the fighting for San Gabriele was about over too. —
贝恩西扎高原上的战斗结束了,到了月中,对于圣加布里埃勒的战斗也快结束了。 —

They could not take it. Ettore was gone back to the front. —
他们占不了那个地方。埃特尔已经回到前线了。 —

The horses were gone to Rome and there was no more racing. —
马匹已经送去罗马,没有再举办赛马了。 —

Crowell had gone to Rome too, to be sent back to America. —
克罗维尔也去了罗马,准备回美国。 —

There were riots twice in the town against the war and bad rioting in Turin. A British major at the club told me the Italians had lost one hundred and fifty thousand men on the Bainsizza plateau and on San Gabriele. —
小镇上爆发了两次针对战争的暴乱,都林发生了严重的骚乱。俱乐部里的一名英国少校告诉我,意大利人在贝恩西扎高原和圣加布里埃勒上已经失去了十五万人。 —

He said they had lost forty thousand on the Carso besides. We had a drink and he talked. —
他说意大利人在卡尔索高原上还损失了四万人。我们喝了一杯,他谈了起来。 —

He said the fighting was over for the year down here and that the Italians had bitten off more than they could chew. —
他说这里的战斗今年已经结束了,意大利人咬了一口大过头。 —

He said the offensive in Flanders was going to the bad. —
他说佛兰德的进攻形势不妙。 —

If they killed men as they did this fall the Allies would be cooked in another year. —
如果他们像这次秋天这样杀人,盟军再过一年就完了。 —

He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. —
他说我们都完了,但只要我们不知道,就没事。我们都完了。 —

The thing was not to recognize it. The last country to realize they were cooked would win the war. —
关键是不要意识到这一点。最后一个意识到自己完蛋的国家会赢得这场战争。 —

We had another drink. Was I on somebody’s staff? No. He was. It was all balls. —
我们又喝了一杯。我是某人的参谋吗?不是。他是。这一切都是胡扯。 —

We were alone in the club sitting back in one of the big leather sofas. —
我们独自一人坐在俱乐部里的一个大皮沙发上。 —

His boots were smoothly polished dull leather. They were beautiful boots. He said it was all balls. —
他的靴子光滑地擦亮了暗色的皮革。那些靴子真是漂亮。他说这一切都是胡扯。 —

They thought only in divisions and man-power. —
他们只考虑分裂和人力。 —

They all squabbled about divisions and only killed them when they got them. They were all cooked. —
他们都在为分裂而争吵,只有在得到它们时才杀死它们。他们都完蛋了。 —

The Germans won the victories. By God they were soldiers. The old Hun was a soldier. —
德国人赢得了胜利。天哪,他们是战士。老顽主是个战士。 —

But they were cooked too. We were all cooked. I asked about Russia. —
但他们也完了。我们都完了。我问起俄国。 —

He said they were cooked already. I’d soon see they were cooked. —
他说他们早就完了。我很快就会看到他们完了。 —

Then the Austrians were cooked too. If they got some Hun divisions they could do it. —
然后奥地利人也完了。如果他们得到一些顽主师团,他们就能做到。 —

Did he think they would attack this fall? Of course they would. The Italians were cooked. —
他认为他们会在今年秋天进攻吗?当然会。意大利人完了。 —

Everybody knew they were cooked. The old Hun would come down through the Trentino and cut the railway at Vicenza and then where would the Italians be? —
每个人都知道他们完了。老顽主会从特伦蒂诺地区进攻,切断维琴察的铁路,那意大利人还能怎么办? —

They tried that in ‘sixteen, I said. Not with Germans. Yes, I said. —
我说他们在’十六年试过。不是与德国人。是的,我说。 —

But they probably wouldn’t do that, he said. It was too simple. —
但他们可能不会那么做,他说。那太简单了。 —

They’d try something complicated and get royally cooked. I had to go, I said. —
他们会尝试一些复杂的东西,最终会彻底完蛋。我得走了,我说。 —

I had to get back to the hospital. “Good-by,” he said. Then cheerily, “Every sort of luck!” —
我得回到医院。”再见,”他说。然后兴高采烈地说:”一切都好运!” —

There was a great contrast between his world pessimism and personal cheeriness.
他的世界悲观主义与个人乐观主义形成了鲜明对比。

I stopped at a barber shop and was shaved and went home to the hospital. —
我在理发店止步,刮了脸,回到了医院。 —

My leg was as well as it would get for a long time. —
我的腿状况好转,已经持续一段时间了。 —

I had been up for examination three days before. —
在我进医院之前的三天,我进行了检查。 —

There were still some treatments to take before my course at the Ospedale.
在前往医院课程前,还有一些治疗要进行。

Maggiore was finished and I walked along the side street practising not limping. —
麦哲伦大教堂已经完工,我边走边练习着不再跛行。 —

An old man was cutting silhouettes under an arcade. I stopped to watch him. —
一个老人正在拱廊下剪影。我停下来看着他。 —

Two girls were posing and he cut their silhouettes together, snipping very fast and looking at them, his head on one side. —
两个女孩在摆姿势,他把她们的剪影一起剪下来,动作迅速,斜着头看着她们。 —

The girls were giggling. He showed me the silhouettes before he pasted them on white paper and handed them to the girls.
女孩们都在咯咯笑。他在把剪影粘贴到白纸上之前向我展示了它们,并递给了那两个女孩。

“They’re beautiful,” he said. “How about you, Tenente?”
“它们很漂亮,”他说,“您怎么样,中尉?”

The girls went away looking at their silhouettes and laughing. —
女孩们看着自己的剪影笑着离开了。 —

They were nice-looking girls. One of them worked in the wine shop across from the hospital.
她们是一对漂亮的女孩。她们中的一个在医院对面的酒铺工作。

“All right,” I said.
“好吧。”我说。

“Take your cap off.”
“脱掉你的帽子。”

“No. With it on.”
“不,带着它。”

“It will not be so beautiful,” the old man said. “But,” he brightened, “it will be more military.”
“这样不会那么美丽。”老人说,“但是,”他兴高采烈地说,“更有军人风范。”

He snipped away at the black paper, then separated the two thicknesses and pasted the profiles on a card and handed them to me.
他在黑纸上剪出形象,然后把两层分开,将剪影粘贴在卡片上并递给我。

“How much?”
“多少钱?”

“That’s all right.” He waved his hand. “I just made them for you.”
“没关系。”他挥了挥手。“我只是为你做的。”

“Please.” I brought out some coppers. “For pleasure.”
“请收下。”我拿出一些铜板。“带着开心。”

“No. I did them for a pleasure. Give them to your girl.”
“不。我是为了开心才做的。把它们给你的女孩吧。”

“Many thanks until we meet.”
“非常感谢,期待下次相见。”

“Until I see thee.”
“再见。”

I went on to the hospital. There were some letters, an official one, and some others. —
我继续前往医院。那里有一些信件,一封官方信件,还有一些其他信件。 —

I was to have three weeks’ convalescent leave and then return to the front. —
我将有三周的疗养假,然后得回前线。 —

I read it over carefully. Well, that was that. —
我仔细阅读了信件。好吧,就这样吧。 —

The convalescent leave started October fourth when my course was finished. —
疗养假从十月四日开始,也就是我课程结束的时候。 —

Three weeks was twenty-one days. That made October twenty-fifth. —
三周就是二十一天。那就是十月二十五日。 —

I told them I would not be in and went to the restaurant a little way up the street from the hospital for supper and read my letters and the Corriere Della Sera at the table. —
我告诉他们我不会在那里,然后去了离医院不远的一家餐馆吃晚餐,边吃边读我的信件和桌子上的Corriere Della Sera报纸。 —

There was a letter from my grandfather, containing family news, patriotic encouragement, a draft for two hundred dollars, and a few clippings; —
我祖父的来信里有家庭新闻,爱国鼓励,两百美元的支票以及一些剪报; —

a dull letter from the priest at our mess, a letter from a man I knew who was flying with the French and had gotten in with a wild gang and was telling about it, and a note from Rinaldi asking me how long I was going to skulk in Milano and what was all the news? —
来自我们团餐厅的神父的沉闷信件,一个熟识的与法国航行的男子的来信,他加入了一群狂野的人,并正在讲述;还有Rinaldi的便条,问我还要在米兰潜藏多久,还有什么新闻? —

He wanted me to bring him phonograph records and enclosed a list. —
他想让我带来留声机唱片,并附上一份清单。 —

I drank a small bottle of chianti with the meal, had a coffee afterward with a glass of cognac, finished the paper, put my letters in my pocket, left the paper on the table with the tip and went out. —
我喝了一小瓶基安地葡萄酒,随餐有了一杯咖啡,喝了一杯白兰地,看完了报纸,把信放在口袋里,把报纸留在桌子上,留了小费就走了。 —

In my room at the hospital I undressed, put on pajamas and a dressing-gown, pulled down the curtains on the door that opened onto the balcony and sitting up in bed read Boston papers from a pile Mrs. Meyers had left for her boys at the hospital. —
在医院的房间里,我脱掉衣服,穿上睡衣和一件浴袍,拉下通往阳台的门上的窗帘,坐在床上读梅耶太太给她儿子留在医院的波士顿报纸。 —

The Chicago White Sox were winning the American League pennant and the New York Giants were leading the National League. —
芝加哥白袜队正在赢得美国联盟冠军,而纽约巨人队正在领先国家联盟。 —

Babe Ruth was a pitcher then playing for Boston. —
那时,贝贝·鲁斯是一名为波士顿玩的投手。 —

The papers were dull, the news was local and stale, and the war news was all old. —
报纸很无聊,新闻陈旧无力,战争新闻也是老一套。 —

The American news was all training camps. I was glad I wasn’t in a training camp. —
美国的新闻全是训练营。我庆幸我不在训练营。 —

The baseball news was all I could read and I did not have the slightest interest in it. —
棒球新闻是我唯一能读懂的,但我对它一点兴趣也没有。 —

A number of papers together made it impossible to read with interest. —
一堆报纸在一起让我无法产生兴趣。 —

It was not very timely but I read at it for a while. —
尽管不是最新的,但我还是读了一段时间。 —

I wondered if America really got into the war, if they would close down the major leagues. —
我想知道如果美国真的参加战争,他们会不会关闭主要联赛。 —

They probably wouldn’t. There was still racing in Milan and the war could not be much worse. —
他们可能不会。米兰还在举办赛马比赛,战争可能不会更严重。 —

They had stopped racing in France. That was where our horse Japalac came from. —
他们已经停止了在法国的赛马比赛。那就是我们的马Japalac来自的地方。 —

Catherine was not due on duty until nine o’clock. —
凯瑟琳直到九点才轮到上班。 —

I heard her passing along the floor when she first came on duty and once saw her pass in the hall. —
当她开始上班时,我听到她在地板上走过,有一次我看到她走过走廊。 —

She went to several other rooms and finally came into mine.
她去了几个其他房间,最后走进了我的房间。

“I’m late, darling,” she said. “There was a lot to do. How are you?”
“亲爱的,我迟到了,”她说道。“有很多事要做。你好吗?”

I told her about my papers and the leave.
我告诉她我的文件和休假。

“That’s lovely,” she said. “Where do you want to go?”
“那太好了,”她说。“你想去哪里?”

“Nowhere. I want to stay here.”
“不去任何地方。我想留在这里。”

“That’s silly. You pick a place to go and I’ll come too.”
“那太傻了。你挑个地方,我会跟着你去。”

“How will you work it?”
“你怎么安排?”

“I don’t know. But I will.”
“我不知道。但我会的。”

“You’re pretty wonderful.”
“你真棒。”

“No I’m not. But life isn’t hard to manage when you’ve nothing to lose.”
“不,我不是。但当你没有什么可失去时,生活并不难处理。”

“How do you mean?”
“你什么意思?”

“Nothing. I was only thinking how small obstacles seemed that once were so big.”
“没什么。我只是在想曾经困难重重的障碍现在看起来多么微不足道。”

“I should think it might be hard to manage.”
“我觉得这可能会很难处理。”

“No it won’t, darling. If necessary I’ll simply leave. But it won’t come to that.”
“不会的,亲爱的。如果有必要,我就会简简单单地离开。但那不会发生。”

“Where should we go?”
“我们应该去哪里?”

“I don’t care. Anywhere you want. Anywhere we don’t know people.”
“我不在乎。任何地方都可以。任何我们都不认识人的地方。”

“Don’t you care where we go?”
“你不在乎我们去哪吗?”

“No. I’ll like any place.”
“不,在哪我都会喜欢。”

She seemed upset and taut.
她看起来心烦意乱。

“What’s the matter, Catherine?”
“凯瑟琳,怎么了?”

“Nothing. Nothing’s the matter.”
“没什么。真的没事。”

“Yes there is.”
“是有事。”

“No nothing. Really nothing.”
“没有,真的没有。”

“I know there is. Tell me, darling. You can tell me.”
“我知道有事。告诉我,亲爱的,你可以告诉我。”

“It’s nothing.”
“没什么。”

“Tell me.”
“告诉我吧。”

“I don’t want to. I’m afraid I’ll make you unhappy or worry you.”
“我不想说。我怕让你不开心或担心。”

“No it won’t.”
“不会的。”

“You’re sure? It doesn’t worry me but I’m afraid to worry you.”
“你确定吗?这不会让我担心,但我不想让你担心。”

“It won’t if it doesn’t worry you.”
“如果不让你担心,我就不担心。”

“I don’t want to tell.”
“我不想说。”

“Tell it.”
“讲吧。”

“Do I have to?”
“我一定要吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“I’m going to have a baby, darling. It’s almost three months along. —
“亲爱的,我怀孕了。快要三个月了。” —

You’re not worried, are you? Please please don’t. —
“你不担心,对吗?拜托别担心。” —

You mustn’t worry.”
“你不能担心。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Is it all right?”
“没问题吧?”

“Of course.”
“当然。”

“I did everything. I took everything but it didn’t make any difference.”
“我做了一切。我尽力了,但没什么不同。”

“I’m not worried.”
“我不担心。”

“I couldn’t help it, darling, and I haven’t worried about it. You mustn’t worry or feel badly.”
“亲爱的,我无法控制,但我也没担心。你别担心或难过。”

“I only worry about you.”
“我只担心你。”

“That’s it. That’s what you mustn’t do. People have babies all the time. —
“对,你不该这样。人们常常生孩子。” —

Everybody has babies. It’s a natural thing.”
“每个人都会生孩子。这是自然的事情。”

“You’re pretty wonderful.”
“你真是太棒了。”

“No I’m not. But you mustn’t mind, darling. I’ll try and not make trouble for you. —
“不,我不是。但亲爱的,你不要介意。我会尽量不给你惹麻烦。” —

I know I’ve made trouble now. But haven’t I been a good girl until now? —
“我知道现在我给你添麻烦了。但直到现在我不是一个乖女孩吗?” —

You never knew it, did you?”
“你从来都不知道,是吗?”

“No.”
“是的。”

“It will all be like that. You simply mustn’t worry. I can see you’re worrying. Stop it. —
“以后都会这样的。你千万不要担心。我可以看出你在担心。停止吧。” —

Stop it right away. Wouldn’t you like a drink, darling? —
“立刻停止。亲爱的,你想喝点什么吗?” —

I know a drink always makes you feel cheerful.”
“不,我感觉挺开心的。而且你真是太棒了。”

“No. I feel cheerful. And you’re pretty wonderful.”
“不,我不是。但如果你给我们挑选一个地方去,我会把一切安排好。

“No I’m not. But I’ll fix everything to be together if you pick out a place for us to go. —
“十月份那里应该很美好。我们会度过愉快的时光,亲爱的,在你上前线的时候我会每天给你写信。” —

It ought to be lovely in October. We’ll have a lovely time, darling, and I’ll write you every day while you’re at the front.”
“你会在哪里?”

“Where will you be?”
“我还不知道。但一定会是个绝妙的地方。这些我会处理好。”

“I don’t know yet. But somewhere splendid. I’ll look after all that.”
我们安静了一会儿,没有说话。凯瑟琳坐在床上,我看着她,但我们没有互相碰触。

We were quiet awhile and did not talk. Catherine was sitting on the bed and I was looking at her but we did not touch each other. —
“我们好像分开了,就像有人走进一间房间,人们会感到尴尬。” —

We were apart as when some one comes into a room and people are self-conscious. —
“我们保持着距离。” —

She put out her hand and took mine.
她伸出手握住了我的手。

“You aren’t angry are you, darling?”
“亲爱的,你不生气吧?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“And you don’t feel trapped?”
“你不感到被困住了吗?”

“Maybe a little. But not by you.”
“也许有一点。但不是因为你。”

“I didn’t mean by me. You mustn’t be stupid. I meant trapped at all.”
“我不是指因为我。你别傻了。我是指总体上感到被困住。”

“You always feel trapped biologically.”
“你总是在生物上感到被困。”

She went away a long way without stirring or removing her hand.
她没有动,也没有拿开手,走开了很远。

”‘Always’ isn’t a pretty word.”
“‘总是’不是一个美好的词语。”

“I’m sorry.”
“对不起。”

“It’s all right. But you see I’ve never had a baby and I’ve never even loved any one. —
“没关系。但你知道我从来没有生过孩子,从来没有爱过任何人。” —

And I’ve tried to be the way you wanted and then you talk about ‘always.”
“我一直试图成为你想要的样子,然后你却提‘总是’。”

“I could cut off my tongue,” I offered.
“我可以割掉我的舌头,”我提议道。

“Oh, darling!” she came back from wherever she had been. “You mustn’t mind me.” —
“哦,亲爱的!”她从自己的思绪中回过神来。“你不要在意我。” —

We were both together again and the self-consciousness was gone. —
我们再次在一起了,自我意识消失了。 —

“We really are the same one and we mustn’t misunderstand on purpose.”
“我们确实是同一人,我们不应故意误解。”

“We won’t.”
“我们不会的。”

“But people do. They love each other and they misunderstand on purpose and they fight and then suddenly they aren’t the same one.”
“但人们会。他们相爱却故意误解,争吵,然后突然变得不再是同一人了。”

“We won’t fight.”
“我们不会争吵。”

“We mustn’t. Because there’s only us two and in the world there’s all the rest of them. —
“我们不能。因为只有我们两个,世界上还有其他人。” —

If anything comes between us we’re gone and then they have us.”
“如果有任何事情介入我们之间,我们就消失了,然后他们就得逞了。”

“They won’t get us,” I said. “Because you’re too brave. Nothing ever happens to the brave.”
“他们得不到我们,”我说。”因为你太勇敢了。勇敢的人永远不会遇到事情。”

“They die of course.”
“当然会死。”

“But only once.”
“但只有一次。”

“I don’t know. Who said that?”
“我不知道。谁说的?”

“The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one?”
“胆小鬼死过千次,勇敢者只死过一次?”

“Of course. Who said it?”
“当然。谁说的?”

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“He was probably a coward,” she said. “He knew a great deal about cowards but nothing about the brave. —
“他可能是个胆小鬼,”她说。”他对胆小鬼很了解,但对勇敢者一无所知。” —

The brave dies perhaps two thousand deaths if he’s intelligent. —
“勇敢者如果聪明可能死过两千次。” —

He simply doesn’t mention them.”
他就是不提及它们。

“I don’t know. It’s hard to see inside the head of the brave.”
我不知道。很难洞察勇者的内心。

“Yes. That’s how they keep that way.”
是的。他们就是这样保持那样。

“You’re an authority.”
你是一个权威。

“You’re right, darling. That was deserved.”
你说得对,亲爱的。那是应得的。

“You’re brave.”
你很勇敢。

“No,” she said. “But I would like to be.”
“不,“她说。”但我希望成为那样。

“I’m not,” I said. “I know where I stand. I’ve been out long enough to know. —
“我不是,“我说。”我知道自己的立场。我经历了足够长时间, 我知道自己并不比别人更好。 —

I’m like a ball-player that bats two hundred and thirty and knows he’s no better.”
我就像一个击球率为两百三十的球员,知道自己并不出色。”

“What is a ball-player that bats two hundred and thirty? It’s awfully impressive.”
那谁是个击球率为两百三十的球员?这真令人印象深刻。

“It’s not. It means a mediocre hitter in baseball.”
它其实不是。这意味着棒球中一个平庸的击球手。

“But still a hitter,” she prodded me.
但仍然是一个击球手,”她促使我说。

“I guess we’re both conceited,” I said. “But you are brave.”
我想我们都有些自负,”我说。“但你是勇敢的。

“No. But I hope to be.”
不,但我希望成为那样。

“We’re both brave,” I said. “And I’m very brave when I’ve had a drink.”
我们都是勇敢的,”我说。“喝一点酒后我就特别勇敢。”

“We’re splendid people,” Catherine said. She went over to the armoire and brought me the cognac and a glass. —
“我们是很出色的人,”凯瑟琳说道。她走到衣柜那里,拿给我干邑和一个玻璃杯。 —

“Have a drink, darling,” she said. “You’ve been awfully good.”
“来喝一杯,亲爱的,”她说。“你一直表现得很好。”

“I don’t really want one.”
“我真的不想喝。”

“Take one.”
“来喝一杯。”

“All right.” I poured the water glass a third full of cognac and drank it off.
“好吧。”我给玻璃杯倒了三分之一的干邑并一饮而尽。

“That was very big,” she said. “I know brandy is for heroes. But you shouldn’t exaggerate.”
“那杯很大,”她说。“我知道白兰地是英雄所喜欢的。但你不应该夸张。”

“Where will we live after the war?”
“战后我们会住在哪里?”

“In an old people’s home probably,” she said. —
“很可能会住在养老院里,”她说。 —

“For three years I looked forward very childishly to the war ending at Christmas. —
“三年来,我很幼稚地期盼战争能在圣诞节结束。” —

But now I look forward till when our son will be a lieutenant commander.”
“但现在我期待着我们的儿子成为一名海军上校。”

“Maybe he’ll be a general.”
“也许他会成为将军。”

“If it’s an hundred years’ war he’ll have time to try both of the services.”
“如果是百年战争,他将有时间尝试两个军种。”

“Don’t you want a drink?”
“你不想喝一口吗?”

“No. It always makes you happy, darling, and it only makes me dizzy.”
“不,亲爱的,喝了总是让你开心,但我只会头晕。”

“Didn’t you ever drink brandy?”
“你以前从来不喝白兰地吗?”

“No, darling. I’m a very old-fashioned wife.”
“不,亲爱的。我是一个非常守旧的妻子。”

I reached down to the floor for the bottle and poured another drink.
我伸手到地上拿起瓶子,倒了一杯酒。

“I’d better go to have a look at your compatriots,” Catherine said. —
“我最好去看一看你的同胞们,” 凯瑟琳说。 —

“Perhaps you’ll read the papers until I come back.”
“也许你可以看看报纸,等我回来。”

“Do you have to go?”
“你非得走吗?”

“Now or later.”
“现在还是以后。”

“All right. Now.”
“好吧。现在。”

“I’ll come back later.”
“我稍后回来。”

“I’ll have finished the papers,” I said.
“我会把报纸看完的,”我说。