We walked down the stairs instead of taking the elevator. The carpet on the stairs was worn. —
我们走下楼梯,而不是坐电梯。楼梯上的地毯磨损了。 —

I had paid for the dinner when it came up and the waiter, who had brought it, was sitting on a chair near the door. —
当账单来时,我已经付了钱,送来菜的服务员坐在门旁的椅子上。 —

He jumped up and bowed and I went with him into the side room and paid the bill for the room. —
他跳起来鞠躬,我跟着他走进旁边的房间,结了房费。 —

The manager had remembered me as a friend and refused payment in advance but when he retired he had remembered to have the waiter stationed at the door so that I should not get out without paying. —
经理把我记住了,拒绝提前支付,但退休时记得让服务员站在门口,以免我逃费。 —

I suppose that had happened; even with his friends. —
我想那可能发生了;即使是在战争中。 —

One had so many friends in a war.
在战争中,一个人有很多朋友。

I asked the waiter to get us a carriage and he took Catherine’s package that I was carrying and went out with an umbrella. —
我让服务员给我们叫马车,他接过凯瑟琳的包裹,我拿着,并拿着伞走出去。 —

Outside through the window we saw him crossing the street in the rain. —
我们透过窗户看到他在雨中穿过街道。 —

We stood in the side room and looked out the window.
我们站在旁边的房间,透过窗户看外面。

“How do you feel, Cat?”
“你感觉怎么样,凯瑟琳?”

“Sleepy.”
“困。”

“I feel hollow and hungry.”
“我觉得空虚和饥饿。”

“Have you anything to eat?”
“有什么吃的吗?”

“Yes, in my musette.”
“有,在我的背包里。”

I saw the carriage coming. It stopped, the horse’s head hanging in the rain, and the waiter stepped out, opened his umbrella, and came toward the hotel. —
我看到马车来了。它停下来,马的头在雨中低垂,服务员走下来,打开伞,向酒店走来。 —

We met him at the door and walked out under the umbrella down the wet walk to the carriage at the curb. —
我们在门口见到他,一起走出房前的雨伞,走过湿漉漉的小路到等在路边的马车那里。 —

Water was running in the gutter.
水在水沟里流淌着。

“There is your package on the seat,” the waiter said. —
“你的包裹就在座位上”,侍者说。 —

He stood with the umbrella until we were in and I had tipped him.
他站在雨伞下,直到我们上了车,我给了他小费。

“Many thanks. Pleasant journey,” he said. The coachman lifted the reins and the horse started. —
“非常感谢。一路顺风”,他说。车夫拉起缰绳,马就走了。 —

The waiter turned away under the umbrella and went toward the hotel. —
侍者转身走向旅馆,雨伞下的背影渐行渐远。 —

We drove down the street and turned to the left, then came around to the right in front of the station. —
我们沿着街道驶去,向左转,然后又绕到右边停在车站前。 —

There were two carabinieri standing under the light just out of the rain. —
两名宪兵站在灯光下,雨水清晰透明地滴落在站台灯光下。 —

The light shone on their hats. The rain was clear and transparent against the light from the station. —
透过光线,雨水清晰可见。 —

A porter came out from under the shelter of the station, his shoulders up against the rain.
一个搬运工从站台的遮蔽处走出来,肩膀挨着雨。

“No,” I said. “Thanks. I don’t need thee.”
“不用了”,我说。“谢谢,我不需要。”

He went back under the shelter of the archway. I turned to Catherine. —
他退回到拱廊的遮蔽处。我转向凯瑟琳。 —

Her face was in the shadow from the hood of the carriage.
她的脸被马车的篷布遮住,只留下阴影。

“We might as well say good-by.”
“我们也许应该说再见了。”

“I can’t go in?”
“我不能进去吗?”

“No.”
“不。”

“Good-by, Cat.”
“再见,猫咪。”

“Will you tell him the hospital?”
“你会告诉他医院的地址吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

I told the driver the address to drive to. He nodded.
我告诉司机要开到哪个地址。他点了点头。

“Good-by,” I said. “Take good care of yourself and young Catherine.”
“再见,”我说道。”照顾好你自己和小凯瑟琳。”

“Good-by, darling.”
“再见,亲爱的。”

“Good-by,” I said. I stepped out into the rain and the carriage started. —
“再见,”我说完走出雨中,马车就开走了。 —

Catherine leaned out and I saw her face in the light. She smiled and waved. —
凯瑟琳伸出头,我看见她的脸在光线下闪烁。她微笑着挥手。 —

The carriage went up the street, Catherine pointed in toward the archway. —
马车沿着街道往上走,凯瑟琳指向拱门。 —

I looked, there were only the two carabinieri and the archway. —
我看了看,只有两名武装警察和拱门。 —

I realized she meant for me to get in out of the rain. —
我意识到她是想让我躲进去避雨。 —

I went in and stood and watched the carriage turn the corner. —
我走了进去,站在那儿看着马车转过拐角。 —

Then I started through the station and down the runway to the train.
然后我沿着站台走向火车的方向。

The porter was on the platform looking for me. —
服务员正站在站台上找我。 —

I followed him into the train, crowding past people and along the aisle and in through a door to where the machine-gunner sat in the corner of a full compartment. —
我跟着他走进了火车,挤过人群,沿着过道走过去,穿过一扇门,来到了一个满员的车厢里,机枪手坐在角落里。 —

My rucksack and musettes were above his head on the luggage rack. —
我的背包和挎包放在他头顶的行李架上。 —

There were many men standing in the corridor and the men in the compartment all looked at us when we came in. —
走廊上站着许多人,车厢里的人看见我们进来时都看着我们。 —

There were not enough places in the train and every one was hostile. —
火车上座位不够,每个人都充满敌意。 —

The machine-gunner stood up for me to sit down. Some one tapped me on the shoulder. —
机枪手站起来让我坐下。有人在我的肩膀上轻拍了一下。 —

I looked around. It was a very tall gaunt captain of artillery with a red scar along his jaw. —
我环顾四周。有一个极高枯瘦的炮兵上尉,下巴上有一个红色的伤疤。 —

He had looked through the glass on the corridor and then come in.
他透过走廊的玻璃看了一下,然后走了进来。

“What do you say?” I asked. I had turned and faced him. —
“你怎么说?”我问道。我转过身面对着他。 —

He was taller than I and his face was very thin under the shadow of his cap-visor and the scar was new and shiny. —
他比我高,脸在帽檐的阴影下显得非常瘦削,伤疤还很新鲜发亮。 —

Every one in the compartment was looking at me.
车厢里的每个人都在看着我。

“You can’t do that,” he said. “You can’t have a soldier save you a place.”
“你不能这样做,”他说道。”你不能让一个士兵给你留座位。”

“I have done it.”
“我已经这样做了。”

He swallowed and I saw his Adam’s apple go up and then down. —
他咽了口唾沫,我看到他的喉结上下移动。 —

The machine-gunner stood in front of the place. —
机枪手站在座位前面。 —

Other men looked in through the glass. No one in the compartment said anything.
其他人透过玻璃看了进来。车厢里没有人说话。

“You have no right to do that. I was here two hours before you came.”
“你没有权利那样做。我比你早到两个小时。”

“What do you want?”
“你想要什么?”

“The seat.”
“那个座位。”

“So do I.”
“我也是。”

I watched his face and could feel the whole compartment against me. I did not blame them. —
我看着他的脸,感觉整个车厢都在反对我。我不怪他们。 —

He was in the right. But I wanted the seat. —
他是对的。但是我想要那个座位。 —

Still no one said anything.
仍然没有人说话。

Oh, hell, I thought.
哦,该死,我想。

“Sit down, Signor Capitano,” I said. The machine-gunner moved out of the way and the tall captain sat down. —
“坐下,船长先生,”我说。机枪手让开,高个子的船长坐下。 —

He looked at me. His face seemed hurt. But he had the seat. —
他看着我。他的脸上似乎很受伤。但是他有那个座位。 —

“Get my things,” I said to the machine-gunner. We went out in the corridor. —
“把我的东西拿来,”我对机枪手说。我们走到走廊外。 —

The train was full and I knew there was no chance of a place. —
火车满员了,我知道没有找到座位的机会。 —

I gave the porter and the machine-gunner ten lire apiece. —
我给了搬运工和机枪手十里拉。 —

They went down the corridor and outside on the platform looking in the windows but there were no places.
他们走到走廊外,在站台上往车窗里看,但没有空位。

“Maybe some will get off at Brescia,” the porter said.
“也许有些人会在布雷西亚下车,”搬运工说。

“More will get on at Brescia,” said the machine-gunner. —
“在布雷西亚会上更多的人上车。”机枪手说。 —

I said good-by to them and we shook hands and they left. They both felt badly. —
我跟他们道别,握手后他们就离开了。他们都感到很难过。 —

Inside the train we were all standing in the corridor when the train started. —
火车里我们都站在走廊里,火车发动了。 —

I watched the lights of the station and the yards as we went out. —
我看着车站和车厢的灯光逐渐离去。 —

It was still raining and soon the windows were wet and you could not see out. —
当时仍在下雨,很快窗户就被雨水打湿了,你就看不到外面了。 —

Later I slept on the floor of the corridor; —
后来我在走廊的地板上睡着了; —

first putting my pocket-book with my money and papers in it inside my shirt and trousers so that it was inside the leg of my breeches. —
先把装有钱和文件的皮夹放在衬衫和裤子里,这样就在短裤腿里。 —

I slept all night, waking at Brescia and Verona when more men got on the train, but going back to sleep at once. —
我整晚都在睡觉,在布雷西亚和维罗纳时有更多的人上车,但我立刻又睡着了。 —

I had my head on one of the musettes and my arms around the other and I could feel the pack and they could all walk over me if they wouldn’t step on me. —
我把头枕在一个小背包上,双臂环绕着另一个,我能感觉到背包,如果需要,他们可以从我身上走过,只要不踩到我。 —

Men were sleeping on the floor all down the corridor. —
很多人都躺在走廊的地板上睡觉。 —

Others stood holding on to the window rods or leaning against the doors. —
其他人站着扶着窗框或靠在门上。 —

That train was always crowded.
那列火车总是挤满了人。