Later we were on a road that led to a river. —
后来我们走到了通往河边的一条路上。 —

There was a long line of abandoned trucks and carts on the road leading up to the bridge. —
路上有一长串被遗弃的卡车和马车,通向桥头。 —

No one was in sight. The river was high and the bridge had been blown up in the centre; —
没有人在眼前。河水很高,桥的中间被炸毁了; —

the stone arch was fallen into the river and the brown water was going over it. —
石拱桥倒塌到河里,棕色的水从上面流过。 —

We went on up the bank looking for a place to cross. —
我们上了河岸,找寻着渡河的地方。 —

Up ahead I knew there was a railway bridge and I thought we might be able to get across there. —
我知道前方有一座火车桥,我们或许可以从那里过去。 —

The path was wet and muddy. We did not see any troops; only abandoned trucks and stores. —
小路湿漉漉的,满是泥泞。我们没看到任何军队;只见到被遗弃的卡车和物资。 —

Along the river bank there was nothing and no one but the wet brush and muddy ground. —
河岸边除了湿湿的灌木和泥泞的地面,别无他物和人。 —

We went up to the bank and finally we saw the railway bridge.
我们走上河岸,终于看到了火车桥。

“What a beautiful bridge,” Aymo said. It was a long plain iron bridge across what was usually a dry river-bed.
“多美的桥啊。”艾莫说。那是一座横跨通常是一条干涸河床的普通长铁桥。

“We’d better hurry and get across before they blow it up,” I said.
“我们最好赶快过去,免得他们炸掉。”我说。

“There’s nobody to blow it up,” Piani said. “They’re all gone.”
“没人会来炸的。”皮亚尼说。“他们都走了。”

“It’s probably mined,” Bonello said. “You cross first, Tenente.”
“可能被布设了地雷。”博内洛说。“您先过,上尉。”

“Listen to the anarchist,” Aymo said. “Make him go first.”
“听无政府主义者的?”艾莫说。“让他去吧。”

“I’ll go,” I said. “It won’t be mined to blow up with one man.”
“我来。”我说。“不会为了一个人而被炸掉。”

“You see,” Piani said. “That is brains. Why haven’t you brains, anarchist?”
“你看,”皮阿尼说。“这就是头脑。为什么你没有头脑,无政府主义者?”

“If I had brains I wouldn’t be here,” Bonello said.
“如果我有头脑,我就不会在这里了,”波内罗说。

“That’s pretty good, Tenente,” Aymo said.
“这挺不错,上尉,”艾莫说。

“That’s pretty good,” I said. We were close to the bridge now. —
“这挺不错,”我说。我们离桥很近了。 —

The sky had clouded over again and it was raining a little. —
天空又阴沉下来,开始下起了小雨。 —

The bridge looked long and solid. We climbed up the embankment.
桥看起来又长又结实。我们爬上了路堤。

“Come one at a time,” I said and started across the bridge. —
“一个一个过来,”我说着开始走过桥。 —

I watched the ties and the rails for any trip-wires or signs of explosive but I saw nothing. —
我留意着铁轨和桥墩,看有没有绊索或爆炸的迹象,但什么都没发现。 —

Down below the gaps in the ties the river ran muddy and fast. —
在铁轨间的空隙下面,河水泥泞而急流。 —

Ahead across the wet countryside I could see Udine in the rain. Across the bridge I looked back. —
前方潮湿的乡间,我看见了雨中的乌迪内。过了桥我回头看着。 —

Just up the river was another bridge. As I watched, a yellow mud-colored motor car crossed it. —
河流上游还有一座桥。当我看着时,一辆黄色泥色的轿车通过了它。 —

The sides of the bridge were high and the body of the car, once on, was out of sight. —
桥的两侧很高,车身一旦上去就看不见了。 —

But I saw the heads of the driver, the man on the seat with him, and the two men on the rear seat. —
但我看见了司机和副驾驶座上的人,以及后座上的两个人的头。 —

They all wore German helmets. Then the car was over the bridge and out of sight behind the trees and the abandoned vehicles on the road. —
他们全都戴着德国头盔。然后车辆过了桥,消失在树木和路上的废弃车辆后面。 —

I waved to Aymo who was crossing and to the others to come on. —
我向正在过桥的艾莫招手,还有其他人。 —

I climbed down and crouched beside the railway embankment. —
我爬下来蹲在铁路路堤旁。 —

Aymo came down with me.
艾莫跟着我下来。

“Did you see the car?” I asked.
“你看到汽车了吗?”我问。

“No. We were watching you.”
“没有。我们一直在看着你。”

“A German staff car crossed on the upper bridge.”
“德国的一辆军车刚刚过了上面的桥。”

“A staff car?”
“一辆军车?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Holy Mary.”
“圣母玛利亚。”

The others came and we all crouched in the mud behind the embankment, looking across the rails at the bridge, the line of trees, the ditch and the road.
其他人也走了过来,我们都蹲在路堤后面的泥地上,朝着桥梁、树木、沟渠和公路看去。

“Do you think we’re cut off then, Tenente?”
“你觉得我们被隔断了吗,中尉?”

“I don’t know. All I know is a German staff car went along that road.”
“我不知道。我只知道一辆德国军车沿着那条路开过。”

“You don’t feel funny, Tenente? You haven’t got strange feelings in the head?”
“你感觉不对劲吗,中尉?你头晕吗?”

“Don’t be funny, Bonello.”
“别乱说话,博内洛。”

“What about a drink?” Piani asked. “If we’re cut off we might as well have a drink.” —
“喝点什么?”皮亚尼问道,“如果我们被隔断了,我们还是能喝点东西。” —

He unhooked his canteen and uncorked it.
他解开水壶塞子,打开水壶。

“Look! Look!” Aymo said and pointed toward the road. —
“看!看!”艾默说着指向路上。 —

Along the top of the stone bridge we could see German helmets moving. —
我们可以看到德国头盔在石桥顶部移动。 —

They were bent forward and moved smoothly, almost supernatu rally, along. —
它们俯身前倾,几乎超自然地移动着。 —

As they came off the bridge we saw them. They were bicycle troops. —
当它们走下桥的时候,我们看清了它们。他们是骑自行车的部队。 —

I saw the faces of the first two. They were ruddy and healthy-looking. —
我看到了前两个的脸。他们的脸色红润,看起来很健康。 —

Their helmets came iow down over their foreheads and the side of their faces. —
头盔遮住了他们的前额和脸侧。 —

Their carbines were clipped to the frame of the bicycles. —
卡宾枪固定在自行车车架上。 —

Stick bombs hung handle down from their belts. —
手榴弹挂在他们的腰带上。 —

Their helmets and their gray uniforms were wet and they rode easily, looking ahead and to both sides. —
他们的头盔和灰色制服湿漉漉的,轻松地骑着,向前看着,左右看着。 —

There were two–then four in line, then two, then almost a dozen; —
一开始是两个,然后变成四个排成一行,然后又是两个,接着几乎有十几个; —

then another dozen– then one alone. They did not talk but we could not have heard them because of the noise from the river. —
又来了一打,然后又是一个独自骑行。他们没有说话,但我们听不见因为河水的噪音。 —

They were gone out of sight up the road.
他们消失在路的尽头。

“Holy Mary,” Aymo said.
“圣母玛利亚”,艾默说。

“They were Germans,” Piani said. “Those weren’t Austrians.”
“他们是德国人,”皮亚尼说。“那些不是奥地利人。”

“Why isn’t there somebody here to stop them?” I said. —
“为什么这里没有人来阻止他们?”我说。 —

“Why haven’t they blown the bridge up? Why aren’t there machine-guns along this embankment?”
“为什么他们没有炸毁这座桥?这条堤岸上为什么没有机枪?”

“You tell us, Tenente,” Bonello said.
“你告诉我们,中尉,”邦内洛说。

I was very angry.
我很生气。

“The whole bloody thing is crazy. Down below they blow up a little bridge. —
“整个该死的事情太疯狂了。在下面他们炸毁了一座小桥。 —

Here they leave a bridge on the main road. —
这里他们留下了一座在主要道路上的桥。 —

Where is everybody? Don’t they try and stop them at all?”
所有人都在哪里?他们根本不想阻止他们吗?”

“You tell us, Tenente,” Bonello said. I shut up. It was none of my business; —
“你告诉我们,中尉,”邦内洛说。我闭嘴了。那不关我的事; —

all I had to do was to get to Pordenone with three ambulances. I had failed at that. —
我唯一要做的就是带着三辆救护车到波德诺内。我在那方面失败了。 —

All I had to do now was get to Pordenone. —
我现在唯一要做的就是到达波德诺内。 —

I probably could not even get to Udine. The hell I couldn’t. —
我甚至可能到不了乌迪内。可见我绝不会认输。 —

The thing to do was to be calm and not get shot or captured.
要做的是保持镇静,不被射击或被俘。

“Didn’t you have a canteen open?” I asked Piani. He handed it to me. I took a long drink. —
“你们不是刚打开了水壶吗?”我问皮亚尼。他递给我。我喝了口水。 —

“We might as well start,” I said. “There’s no hurry though. —
“我们也许该出发了,”我说。”不过也没有什么急事。 —

Do you want to eat something?”
你们要吃点东西吗?”

“This is no place to stay,” Bonello said.
“这里不是留下的地方,”邦内洛说。

“All right. We’ll start.”
“好的。我们开始吧。”

“Should we keep on this side–out of sight?”
“我们要继续留在这边-不被发现吗?”

“We’d be better off on top. They may come along this bridge too. —
“我们最好去顶部。他们也许会沿着这座桥走来。 —

We don’t want them on top of us before we see them.”
“在看到他们之前,我们最好先发现他们。”

We walked along the railroad track. On both sides of us stretched the wet plain. —
我们沿着铁路走。我们两边是一片湿湿的平原。 —

Ahead across the plain was the hill of Udine. The roofs fell away from the castle on the hill. —
远远地,我看到了乌迪内的山丘。教堂屋顶从山上滑落。 —

We could see the campanile and the clock-tower. There were many mulberry trees in the fields. —
我们能看到钟楼和钟塔。田野上有许多桑树。 —

Ahead I saw a place where the rails were torn up. —
前方我看到了一条铁轨被拆毁的地方。 —

The ties had been dug out too and thrown down the embankment.
铁轨被挖了起来,连着木枕一起被扔下了堤岸。

“Down! down!” Aymo said. We dropped down beside the embankment. —
“下!下!”艾莫说。我们俯身躲在了堤岸旁边。 —

There was another group of bicyclists passing along the road. —
另一群骑自行车的人沿着道路经过。 —

I looked over the edge and saw them go on.
我往下看,看着他们继续前行。

“They saw us but they went on,” Aymo said.
“他们看到我们了,但他们继续走了。”艾莫说。

“We’ll get killed up there, Tenente,” Bonello said.
“上去会被打死的,少校。”博内洛说。

“They don’t want us,” I said. “They’re after something else. —
“他们不想要我们,”我说。”他们在追别的东西。” —

We’re in more danger if they should come on us suddenly.”
如果他们突然袭击我们,我们就更危险了。”

“I’d rather walk here out of sight,” Bonello said.
“我宁愿在这里走,不被看见,” 博内罗说道。

“All right. We’ll walk along the tracks.”
“好吧。我们沿着铁轨走。”

“Do you think we can get through?” Aymo asked.
“你觉得我们能通过吗?”艾莫问道。

“Sure. There aren’t very many of them yet. We’ll go through in the dark.”
“当然。他们还没有很多。我们会在黑暗中通过。”

“What was that staff car doing?”
“那辆总务车在做什么?”

“Christ knows,” I said. We kept on up the tracks. —
“天晓得,”我说。我们继续沿着铁轨往前走。 —

Bonello tired of walking in the mud of the embankment and came up with the rest of us. —
博内罗厌倦了在堤岸泥泞的地方行走,跟着我们走到了一起。 —

The railway moved south away from the highway now and we could not see what passed along the road. —
铁路现在向南延伸,远离公路,我们看不见公路上经过的东西。 —

A short bridge over a canal was blown up but we climbed across on what was left of the span. —
一座跨越运河的短桥被炸毁了,但我们爬过了剩下的桥面。 —

We heard firing ahead of us.
我们听到前方有枪声。

We came up on the railway beyond the canal. —
我们走到了运河的对面铁路上。 —

It went on straight toward the town across the low fields. —
铁路笔直地延伸向城镇,横跨低洼的田野。 —

We could see the line of the other railway ahead of us. —
我们能看见前方另一条铁路的线路。 —

To the north was the main road where we had seen the cyclists; —
北边是我们看到骑自行车的地方的主干道。 —

to the south there was a small branch-road across the fields with thick trees on each side. —
朝南方有一条小支路穿过田野,两边是茂密的树木。 —

I thought we had better cut to the south and work around the town that way and across country toward Campoformio and the main road to the Tagliamento. —
我想最好是向南绕过城镇,沿着通往坎帕福尔米奥和通往泰利亚门扎门扎的主要道路向田野方向前进。 —

We could avoid the main line of the retreat by keeping to the secondary roads beyond Udine. I knew there were plenty of side-roads across the plain. —
我们可以避开撤退的主要线路,沿着乌迪内以外的次要道路前行。 我知道平原上有很多小路。 —

I started down the embankment.
我开始下堤。

“Come on,” I said. We would make for the side-road and work to the south of the town. —
“走吧,”我说。我们会走向侧道,向城镇南边前进。 —

We all started down the embankment. A shot was fired at us from the side-road. —
我们都开始下堤。从侧道向我们开了一枪。 —

The bullet went into the mud of the embankment.
子弹打进了堤坡的泥土里。

“Go on back,” I shouted. I started up the embankment, slipping in the mud. —
“你们继续走吧,”我大喊。我在泥泞中快速地爬上堤坡。 —

The drivers were ahead of me. I went up the embankment as fast as I could go. —
司机们都在前面。我尽可能快地爬上堤坡。 —

Two more shots came from the thick brush and Aymo, as he was crossing the tracks, lurched, tripped and fell face down. —
密林中又响起了两声枪响,艾莫在穿越轨道时摇晃了一下,绊了一下,面朝下摔倒。 —

We pulled him down on the other side and turned him over. “His head ought to be uphill,” I said. —
我们把他拽到堤坡的另一侧,把他翻过身来。“他的头应该朝上坡,”我说。 —

Piani moved him around. He lay in the mud on the side of the embankment, his feet pointing downhill, breathing blood irregularly. —
皮亚尼把他移到另一侧。他躺在堤坡上的泥泥中,脚朝下坡,不规律地呼吸着带血的气。 —

The three of us squatted over him in the rain. —
我们三个蹲在雨中趴在他身上。 —

He was hit low in the back of the neck and the bullet had ranged upward and come out under the right eye. —
他被击中在脖颈后部低处,子弹向上穿过,从右眼下方射出。 —

He died while I was stopping up the two holes. —
我止住两个孔洞时他就去世了。 —

Piani laid his head down, wiped at his face, with a piece of the emergency dressing, then let it alone.
皮亚尼将头靠下,用急救绷带擦了擦脸,然后不再碰。

“The –,” he said.
“那些——,”他说。

“They weren’t Germans,” I said. “There can’t be any Germans over there.”
“他们不是德军,”我说。“那边不可能有德军。”

“Italians,” Piani said, using the word as an epithet, “Italiani!” Bonello said nothing. —
“意大利人,”皮亚尼用这个词作为蔑称,“意大利人!”波内洛什么也没说。 —

He was sitting beside Aymo, not looking at him. —
他坐在艾莫身旁,却没有看向他。 —

Piani picked up Aymo’s cap where it had rolled down the embankment and put it over his face. —
皮亚尼捡起艾莫的帽子,它滚到了堤岸下,并把它盖在了他的脸上。 —

He took out his canteen.
他取出自己的水壶。

“Do you want a drink?” Piani handed Bonello the canteen.
“要喝点吗?”皮亚尼把水壶递给波内洛。

“No,” Bonello said. He turned to me. “That might have happened to us any time on the railway tracks.”
“不,”波内洛说。他转向我。“那种事随时可能发生在我们走的铁路轨道上。”

“No,” I said. “It was because we started across the field.”
“不,”我说。“是因为我们要穿过那片田地。”

Bonello shook his head. “Aymo’s dead,” he said. “Who’s dead next, Tenente? Where do we go now?”
波内洛摇了摇头。“艾莫死了,”他说。“下一个是谁?我们接下来该去哪?”

“Those were Italians that shot,” I said. “They weren’t Germans.”
“开枪的是意大利人,”我说。“不是德国人。”

“I suppose if they were Germans they’d have killed all of us,” Bonello said.
“我猜如果他们是德国人,他们会杀掉我们所有人。”波内洛说。

“We are in more danger from Italians than Germans,” I said. —
“我们比起德国人更容易受到意大利人的威胁,”我说。 —

“The rear guard are afraid of everything. —
“后卫队害怕一切。” —

The Germans know what they’re after.”
“德国人知道他们在追求什么。”

“You reason it out, Tenente,” Bonello said.
“你来推理一下,腾恩特。”博内洛说。

“Where do we go now?” Piani asked.
“我们现在该去哪里?”皮亚尼问道。

“We better lie up some place till it’s dark. If we could get south we’d be all right.”
“最好找个地方躲起来,等到天黑。如果我们能往南走,就没事了。”

“They’d have to shoot us all to prove they were right the first time,” Bonello said. —
“他们得枪毙我们所有人,才能证明他们第一次说对了,”博内洛说。 —

“I’m not going to try them.”
“我不准备让他们试一试。”

“We’ll find a place to lie up as near to Udine as we can get and then go through when it’s dark.”
“我们找个靠近乌迪内的地方躲一下,然后在天黑时通过。”

“Let’s go then,” Bonello said. We went down the north side of the embankment. I looked back. —
“那么我们走吧,”博内洛说。我们沿着堤坝的北侧下去。我回头看了看。 —

Aymo lay in the mud with the angle of the embankment. —
艾莫躺在泥地中与堤坝的角度对峙。 —

He was quite small and his arms were by his side, his puttee-wrapped legs and muddy boots together, his cap over his face. —
他个子很小,双臂贴在身体两侧,裹着护腿布的双腿和泥泞的靴子紧挨在一起,帽子压在脸上。 —

He looked very dead. It was raining. I had liked him as well as any one I ever knew. —
他看上去很死。天在下着雨。我喜欢他,就像喜欢我所认识的任何人一样。 —

I had his papers in my pocket and would write to his family. —
我把他的文件放在口袋里,将写信给他的家人。 —

Ahead across the fields was a farmhouse. —
在田野的前方是一个农舍。 —

There were trees around it and the farm buildings were built against the house. —
周围有树木环绕,农舍建在房屋旁边。 —

There was a balcony along the second floor held up by columns.
第二层楼有一条由柱子支撑的阳台。

“We better keep a little way apart,” I said. “I’ll go ahead.” —
“我们最好保持一点距离,”我说。”我先走。” —

I started toward the farmhouse. There was a path across the field.
我朝着农舍走去。田间有一条小路。

Crossing the field, I did not know but that some one would fire on us from the trees near the farmhouse or from the farmhouse itself. —
穿过田地时,我担心有人会从靠近农舍的树木或农舍里向我们开枪。 —

I walked toward it, seeing it very clearly. —
我走向农舍,清晰地看着它。 —

The balcony of the second floor merged into the barn and there was hay coming Out between the columns. —
二楼的阳台与谷仓融为一体,柱子间还露出干草。 —

The courtyard was of stone blocks and all the trees were dripping with the rain. —
院子是石板铺成的,树上都挂满了雨水。 —

There was a big empty twowheeled cart, the shafts tipped high up in the rain. —
一辆大空的两轮马车停在那里,车架在雨中高高翘起。 —

I came to the courtyard, crossed it, and stood under the shelter of the balcony. —
我走进院子,穿过它,站在阳台的遮蔽处。 —

The door of the house was open and I went in. Bonello and Piani came in after me. —
屋子的门敞开着,我走了进去。波内洛和皮亚尼跟在我后面。 —

It was dark inside. I went back to the kitchen. There were ashes of a fire on the big open hearth. —
屋子里很暗。我走回厨房。大火炉上还有火灰。 —

The pots hung over the ashes, but they were empty. —
锅悬在火灰上,但里面是空的。 —

I looked around but I could not find anything to eat.
我四处看了看,却找不到任何吃的。

“We ought to lie up in the barn,” I said. —
“我们应该躲在谷仓里,”我说。 —

“Do you think you could find anything to eat, Piani, and bring it up there?”
“你觉得你能找到吃的东西吗,皮亚尼,并把它拿上去?”

“I’ll look,” Piani said.
“我去看看,”皮亚尼说。

“I’ll look too,” Bonello said.
“我也会去看看,”Bonello说。

“All right,” I said. “I’ll go up and look at the barn.” —
“好的,”我说。“我会去楼上看看谷仓。” —

I found a stone stairway that went up from the stable underneath. —
我找到了一条从楼下的马厩通往楼上的石阶。 —

The stable smelt dry and pleasant in the rain. —
马厩在雨中散发着干燥宜人的气味。 —

The cattle were all gone, probably driven off when they left. The barn was half full of hay. —
牛都不见了,可能是在他们离开时被赶走的。谷仓里堆满了一半的干草。 —

There were two windows in the roof, one was blocked with boards, the other was a narrow dormer window on the north side. —
屋顶上有两扇窗户,一扇用木板封住了,另一扇是朝北侧的狭窄的阁楼窗户。 —

There was a chute so that hay might be pitched down to the cattle. —
有一个滑槽,可以把干草往下扔给牛吃。 —

Beams crossed the opening down into the main floor where the hay-carts drove in when the hay was hauled in to be pitched up. —
横梁横跨着通向主楼层的开口,干草车在运送干草进来时会驶入其中。 —

I heard the rain on the roof and smelled the hay and, when I went down, the clean smell of dried dung in the stable. —
我听到屋顶上的雨声,闻到了干草的气味,下去时还闻到了马厩里干燥粪便的清新气味。 —

We could pry a board loose and see out of the south window down into the courtyard. —
我们可以撬开一块木板,从南窗户向下看去,看到庭院。 —

The other window looked out on the field toward the north. —
另一扇窗户朝北望去是田野。 —

We could get out of either window onto the roof and down, or go down the hay chute if the stairs were impractical. —
我们可以从任意一扇窗户出去,爬到屋顶再下去,或者如果楼梯不适用,可以走下干草滑道。 —

It was a big barn and we could hide in the hay if we heard any one. It seemed like a good place. —
这是一个大谷仓,如果听到有人,我们可以藏在干草堆里。看起来是个好地方。 —

I was sure we could have gotten through to the south if they had not fired on us. —
我确信如果他们没朝我们开枪,我们本可以通过南边逃走。 —

It was impossible that there were Germans there. —
那里不可能有德国人。 —

They were coming from the north and down the road from Cividale. —
他们是从北方而来,沿着切维达莱的道路向下走。 —

They could not have come through from the south. The Italians were even more dangerous. —
他们不可能从南方而来。意大利人更加危险。 —

They were frightened and firing on anything they saw. —
他们受到了惊吓,对任何看到的东西开火。 —

Last night on the retreat we had heard that there had been many Germans in Italian uniforms mixing with the retreat in the north. —
昨晚在撤退时,我们听说很多德国人穿着意大利制服混在北部的撤退队伍中。 —

I did not believe it. That was one of those things you always heard in the war. —
我不相信。这是战争中总是会听到的事情之一。 —

It was one of the things the enemy always did to you. —
这是敌人总是对你做的事情之一。 —

You did not know any one who went over in German uniform to confuse them. —
你不认识任何一个会穿德国制服混淆敌人的人。 —

Maybe they did but it sounded difficult. —
也许他们确实这样做了,但听起来很困难。 —

I did not believe the Germans did it.
我不认为德国人会这样做。

I did not believe they had to. There was no need to confuse our retreat. —
我不相信他们有必要这样做。并不需要混淆我们的撤退。 —

The size of the army and the fewness of the roads did that. —
军队的规模和道路的稀少会造成这种局面。 —

Nobody gave any orders, let alone Germans. Still, they would shoot us for Germans. —
没有任何命令,更不用说德国人的命令。尽管如此,他们会因为认错而枪杀我们。 —

They shot Aymo. The hay smelled good and lying in a barn in the hay took away all the years in between. —
他们开枪击中了阿莫。干草的气味很好,在干草堆里躺着,让所有年代都烟消云散。 —

We had lain in hay and talked and shot sparrows with an air-rifle when they perched in the triangle cut high up in the wall of the barn. —
我们曾在干草堆里躺着聊天,用空气枪射杀停在谷仓墙上三角形凹处的麻雀。 —

The barn was gone now and one year they had cut the hemlock woods and there were only stumps, dried tree-tops, branches and fireweed where the woods had been. —
那间谷仓已经没有了,有一年他们砍伐了铁杉树林,剩下的只有树桩、干枯的树梢、树枝和火麦,原先的树林不复存在。 —

You could not go back. If you did not go forward what happened? —
你不能返回了。如果你不前进会发生什么? —

You never got back to Milan. And if you got back to Milan what happened? —
你永远回不到米兰了。如果你回到了米兰会发生什么? —

I listened to the firing to the north toward Udine. I could hear machine-gun firing. —
我听到了向乌迪内北部开枪的声音。我能听到机枪射击声。 —

There was no shelling. That was something. They must have gotten some troops along the road. —
没有炮击。这真是个奇怪的事情。他们一定在沿路得到了一些部队。 —

I looked down in the half-light of the hay-barn and saw Piani standing on the hauling floor. —
我在干草堆内的微弱灯光下往下一看,看到皮亚尼站在卸货平台上。 —

He had a long sausage, a jar of something and two bottles of wine under his arm.
他胳膊底下夹着一根长香肠,一个罐头和两瓶酒。

“Come up,” I said. “There is the ladder.” —
“上来吧,”我说。 “这里有梯子。” —

Then I realized that I should help him with the things and went down. —
然后我意识到我应该帮他拿东西下去。 —

I was vague in the head from lying in the hay. —
我因躺在干草里而有点恍惚。 —

I had been nearly asleep.
我几乎快睡着了。

“Where’s Bonello?” I asked.
“邦内洛在哪里?” 我问。

“I’ll tell you,” Piani said. We went up the ladder. Up on the hay we set the things down. —
“我告诉你,” 皮亚尼说。我们爬上了梯子。爬上干草后,我们把东西放下来。 —

Piani took out his knife with the corkscrew and drew the cork on a wine bottle.
皮亚尼拿出带有螺丝刀的刀,拔开一个酒瓶的塞子。

“They have sealing-wax on it,” he said. “It must be good.” He smiled.
“它上面有封蜡,”他说。 “一定很好。” 他笑了。

“Where’s Bonello?” I asked.
“邦内洛在哪里?” 我问。

Piani looked at me.
皮亚尼看着我。

“He went away, Tenente,” he said. “He wanted to be a prisoner.”
“他走了,中尉,”他说。“他想成为一个囚犯。”

I did not say anything.
我没有说什么。

“He was afraid we would get killed.”
“他害怕我们会被杀死。”

I held the bottle of wine and did not say anything.
我拿着酒瓶,什么也没说。

“You see we don’t believe in the war anyway, Tenente.”
“你看,我们根本不相信这场战争,中尉。”

“Why didn’t you go?” I asked.
“那你为什么没有走?”我问道。

“I did not want to leave you.”
“我不想离开你。”

“Where did he go?”
“他去哪了?”

“I don’t know, Tenente. He went away.”
“我不知道,中尉。他走了。”

“All right,” I said. “Will you cut the sausage?”
“好吧,”我说。“你来切香肠吧?”

Piani looked at me in the half-light.
皮亚尼在微弱的灯光下看着我。

“I cut it while we were talking,” he said. We sat in the hay and ate the sausage and drank the wine. —
“我们一边聊天一边切的,”他说。我们坐在干草上吃香肠,喝酒。 —

It must have been wine they had saved for a wedding. —
这一定是他们留着结婚用的酒。 —

It was so old that it was losing its color.
酒已经很老了,颜色都渐渐褪去。

“You look out of this window, Luigi,” I said. “I’ll go look out the other window.”
“路易吉,你往这扇窗户外看,”我说。“我去看看另一扇窗户外。”

We had each been drinking out of one of the bottles and I took my bottle with me and went over and lay flat on the hay and looked out the narrow window at the wet country. —
我们每人喝着一瓶酒,我带着我的酒瓶去了干草上躺下,透过窄窗户看着潮湿的乡间。 —

I do not know what I expected to see but I did not see anything except the fields and the bare mulberry trees and the rain falling. —
我不知道我期望看到什么,但除了田野、光秃的桑树和下着雨的景象之外我没看到任何东西。 —

I drank the wine and it did not make me feel good. —
我喝了这瓶酒,但没有让我感觉好。 —

They had kept it too long and it had gone to pieces and lost its quality and color. —
他们保留得太久,已经坏掉,失去了质量和颜色。 —

I watched it get dark outside; the darkness came very quickly. —
我看外面变暗;黑暗来得很快。 —

It would be a black night with the rain. —
那将是一个雨后漆黑的夜晚。 —

When it was dark there was no use watching any more, so I went over to Piani. He was lying asleep and I did not wake him but sat down beside him for a while. —
天黑了以后无需继续观察,于是我走向了皮亚尼。他躺着沉沉地睡着,我没吵醒他,而是坐在他旁边一会儿。 —

He was a big man and he slept heavily. After a while I woke him and we started.
他是个大个子,睡得沉。过了一会儿我叫醒了他,我们就出发了。

That was a very strange night. I do not know what I had expected, death perhaps and shooting in the dark and running, but nothing happened. —
那是一个非常奇怪的夜晚。我不知道我期望发生什么,也许是死亡,打仗,黑暗中奔跑,但什么事情也没有发生。 —

We waited, lying flat beyond the ditch along the main road while a German battalion passed, then when they were gone we crossed the road and went on to the north. —
我们躺在主路边的沟渠里躲着,一个德国营通过后,我们过了马路继续向北走。 —

We were very close to Germans twice in the rain but they did not see us. —
在雨中我们两次与德军擦肩而过,但他们没有发现我们。 —

We got past the town to the north without seeing any Italians, then after a while came on the main channels of the retreat and walked all night toward the Tagliamento. —
我们到达北边的小镇倒没有见到意大利人,然后又过了一会儿就走上了撤退的主要道路,整夜向泰利亚门托前进。 —

I had not realized how gigantic the retreat was. The whole country was moving, as well as the army. —
我没有意识到撤退的规模是多么巨大。整个国家都在移动,不只是军队。 —

We walked all night, making better time than the vehicles. —
我们整夜走着,比车辆走得更快。 —

My leg ached and I was tired but we made good time. —
我的腿疼了,我很累,但我们走得很快。 —

It seemed so silly for Bonello to have decided to be taken prisoner. There was no danger. —
Bonello 决定被俘虏看起来很愚蠢。根本没有危险。 —

We had walked through two armies without incident. —
我们穿过两支军队时都没有发生任何意外。 —

If Aymo had not been killed there would never have seemed to be any danger. —
如果 Aymo 没被杀,就不会有任何危险的感觉。 —

No one had bothered us when we were in plain sight along the railway. —
当我们明目张胆地沿着铁路走时,没有人打扰我们。 —

The killing came suddenly and unreasonably. —
杀戮突然且不合理。 —

I wondered where Bonello was.
我不知道 Bonello 在哪里。

“How do you feel, Tenente?” Piani asked. We were going along the side of a road crowded with vehicles and troops.
“你感觉怎么样,Tenente?” Piani 问道。我们沿着一条挤满车辆和军队的路走着。

“Fine.”
“好。”

“I’m tired of this walking.”
“我厌倦了这种步行。”

“Well, all we have to do is walk now. We don’t have to worry.”
“嗯,现在我们只需要步行。不用担心了。”

“Bonello was a fool.”
“Bonello 是个傻瓜。”

“He was a fool all right.”
“他确实是个傻瓜。”

“What will you do about him, Tenente?”
“关于他你会怎么做,Tenente?”

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“Can’t you just put him down as taken prisoner?”
“你就不能把他下为被俘虏吗?”

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“You see if the war went on they would make bad trouble for his family.”
“你知道,如果战争继续下去,他的家人会惹来麻烦。”

“The war won’t go on,” a soldier said. “We’re going home. The war is over.”
“战争不会继续了,”一名士兵说道。“我们要回家了。战争结束了。”

“Everybody’s going home.”
“每个人都要回家了。”

“We’re all going home.”
“我们都要回家了。”

“Come on, Tenente,” Piani said. He wanted to get past them.
“快走,上尉”,皮亚尼说。他想要穿过他们。

“Tenente? Who’s a Tenente? A basso gli ufficiali! Down with the officers!”
“上尉?谁是上尉?军官们都该下去!”

Piani took me by the arm. “I better call you by your name,” he said. —
皮亚尼拉着我的胳膊。“我最好叫你的名字,”他说。 —

“They might try and make trouble. They’ve shot some officers.” —
“他们可能会惹麻烦。他们已经射杀了一些军官。” —

We worked up past them.
我们朝上游去。

“I won’t make a report that will make trouble for his family.” I went on with our conversation.
“我不会报告会给他的家人惹麻烦的事情。”我继续我们的谈话。

“If the war is over it makes no difference,” Piani said. —
“如果战争真的结束了,就没关系了,”皮亚尼说。 —

“But I don’t believe it’s over. It’s too good that it should be over.”
“但我不相信它已经结束了。这样结束太美好了。”

“We’ll know pretty soon,” I said.
“我们很快就会知道了,”我说。

“I don’t believe it’s over. They all think it’s over but I don’t believe it.”
“我不相信这已经结束了。他们都认为结束了,但我不相信。”

“Viva la Pace!” a soldier shouted out. “We’re going home!”
“长 live 和平!” 一名士兵喊道。“我们要回家了!”

“It would be fine if we all went home,” Piani said. “Wouldn’t you like to go home?”
“如果我们都回家就好了,”皮亚尼说。“你不想回家吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“We’ll never go. I don’t think it’s over.”
“我们永远不会回家。我不认为这已经结束。”

“Andiamo a casa!” a soldier shouted.
“Andiamo a casa!” 一名士兵喊道。

“They throw away their rifles,” Piani said. —
“他们扔掉了枪,”皮亚尼说。 —

“They take them off and drop them down while they’re marching. Then they shout.”
“他们在行军的时候摘下枪,然后扔掉。然后他们大声疾呼。”

“They ought to keep their rifles.”
“他们应该保留枪支。”

“They think if they throw away their rifles they can’t make them fight.”
“他们认为如果扔掉枪支就不能让他们战斗。”

In the dark and the rain, making our way along the side of the road I could see that many of the troops still had their rifles. —
在黑暗和雨中,我看到许多部队仍然拿着枪支。 —

They stuck up above the capes.
他们的枪支高高竖立在斗篷上方。

“What brigade are you?” an officer called out.
“你们是哪一支旅?”一名军官喊道。

“Brigata di Pace,” some one shouted. “Peace Brigade!” The officer said nothing.
“Peace Brigade!” 有人喊道。“和平旅!” 军官什么也没说。

“What does he say? What does the officer say?”
“他说什么?军官说了什么?”

“Down with the officer. Viva la Pace!”
“打倒那个军官。为和平万岁!”

“Come on,” Piani said. We passed two British ambulances, abandoned in the block of vehicles.
“走吧,”皮亚尼说道。我们走过了两辆被遗弃在车辆队伍中的英国救护车。

“They’re from Gorizia,” Piani said. “I know the cars.”
“它们来自戈里齐亚,”皮亚尼说,“我认识这些车。”

“They got further than we did.”
“它们比我们走得更远。”

“They started earlier.”
“它们出发得更早。”

“I wonder where the drivers are?”
“司机们在哪里呢?”

“Up ahead probably.”
“可能在前面。”

“The Germans have stopped outside Udine,” I said. “These people will all get across the river.”
“德军已经停在乌迪内外面了,”我说,“这些人都会过河。”

“Yes,” Piani said. “That’s why I think the war will go on.”
“是的,”皮亚尼说,“这就是我认为战争会持续的原因。”

“The Germans could come on,” I said. “I wonder why they don’t come on.”
“德军可能会前进,”我说,“我想知道为什么他们不前进。”

“I don’t know. I don’t know anything about this kind of war.”
“我不知道。我对这种战争一无所知。”

“They have to wait for their transport I suppose.”
“我觉得他们可能要等他们的运输。”

“I don’t know,” Piani said. Alone he was much gentler. —
“我不知道,”皮亚尼说。独自一人时,他的态度要温和得多。 —

When he was with the others he Was a very rough talker.
当他与其他人在一起时,他是一个很粗鲁的说话者。

“Are you married, Luigi?”
“你结婚了吗,路易吉?”

“You know I am married.”
“你知道我已经结婚了。”

“Is that why you did not want to be a prisoner?”
“这就是你不想当囚犯的原因吗?”

“That is one reason. Are you married, Tenente?”
“这是其中一个原因。你结婚了吗,上尉?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Neither is Bonello.”
“那么博内洛也没有。”

“You can’t tell anything by a man’s being married. —
“一个人是否已婚并不能说明什么。” —

But I should think a married man would want to get back to his wife,” I said. —
“但我想已婚的人会想要回到他的妻子身边,”我说。 —

I would be glad to talk about wives.
“我很乐意谈论关于妻子。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“How are your feet?”
“你的脚怎么样?”

“They’re sore enough.”
“它们已经够疼的了。”

Before daylight we reached the bank of the Tagliamento and followed down along the flooded river to the bridge where all the traffic was crossing.
在天亮之前,我们到达了泰格利亚门河的河岸,并沿着被洪水淹没的河流往下走,一直走到了所有交通都在过桥的地方。

“They ought to be able to hold at this river,” Piani said. In the dark the flood looked high. —
“他们应该能够在这条河边守住,”皮亚尼说。黑暗中看去,洪水看起来很高。 —

The water swirled and it was wide. The wooden bridge was nearly three-quarters of a mile across, and the river, that usually ran in narrow channels in the wide stony bed far below the bridge, was close under the wooden planking. —
水急流湍涌,河面很宽。木桥将近三分之一英里长,而通常在木桥下面的宽广石质河床上只有狭窄的水道。 —

We went along the bank and then worked our way into the crowd that were crossing the bridge. —
我们沿着河岸走,然后进入了横穿桥的人群中。 —

Crossing slowly in the rain a few feet above the flood, pressed tight in the crowd, the box of an artillery caisson just ahead, I looked over the side and watched the river. —
在暴雨中缓慢穿过,离洪水高出几英尺,紧贴着人群,一个炮车箱就在前面,我趴在上面往下看,注视着河流。 —

Now that we could not go our own pace I felt very tired. —
现在我们无法按照自己的节奏前进,我感到非常疲惫。 —

There was no exhilaration in crossing the bridge. —
过桥并没有让人感到兴奋。 —

I wondered what it would be like if a plane bombed it in the daytime.
我想知道如果白天有飞机轰炸,会是什么情景。

“Piani,” I said.
“皮亚尼。”

“Here I am, Tenente.” He was a little ahead in the jam. No one was talking. —
“我在这里,中尉。”他稍微在人群前面。没人在说话。 —

They were all trying to get across as soon as they could: thinking only of that. —
他们都在尽可能快地过桥,只考虑这一点。 —

We were almost across. At the far end of the bridge there were officers and carabinieri standing on both sides flashing lights. —
我们快要过去了。在桥的远端,有军官和憲兵站在两侧闪着灯。 —

I saw them silhouetted against the sky-line. —
我看到他们在天际线上的剪影。 —

As we came close to them I saw one of the officers point to a man in the column. —
当我们靠近他们时,我看到一个军官指着队伍中的一个人。 —

A carabiniere went in after him and came out holding the man by the arm. —
一个憲兵走上前去,拉着那个人的胳膊带走了他。 —

He took him away from the road. We came almost opposite them. —
他把那人带离了路面。我们几乎要经过他们了。 —

The officers were scrutinizing every one in the column, sometimes speaking to each other, going forward to flash a light in some one’s face. —
军官们在仔细审视着队伍中的每个人,有时彼此交谈,向前走去照亮某人的脸。 —

They took some one else out just before we came opposite. I saw the man. —
在我们几乎经过之前,他们又把另一个人拿走了。我看到那个人。 —

He was a lieutenantcolonel. I saw the stars in the box on his sleeve as they flashed a light on him. His hair was gray and he was short and fat. —
他是一名中校。我看到他的袖子上闪着的星星,当他们对他照了灯时。他的头发是灰色的,又矮又胖。 —

The carabiniere pulled him in behind the line of officers. —
警卫把他拽到了警官们的队伍后面。 —

As we came opposite I saw one or two of them look at me. —
当我们经过时,我看到其中一两个看着我。 —

Then one pointed at me and spoke to a carabiniere. —
然后有一个指着我对一个警卫说话。 —

I saw the carabiniere start for me, come through the edge of the column toward me, then felt him take me by the collar.
我看到那个警卫朝我走来,穿过队伍边缘朝我走来,然后感觉到他抓住了我的衣领。

“What’s the matter with you?” I said and hit him in the face. —
“你怎么了?”我说着并打了他一拳。 —

I saw his face under the hat, upturned mustaches and blood coming down his cheek. —
我看到他戴着帽子的脸,翘起的胡须和脸颊上流下的血液。 —

Another one dove in toward us.
另一个冲向我们。

“What’s the matter with you?” I said. He did not answer. —
“你怎么了?”我说着。他没有回答。 —

He was watching a chance to grab me. I put my arm behind me to loosen my pistol.
他在等待抓住我的机会。我把手臂伸到身后松开枪。

“Don’t you know you can’t touch an officer?”
“你难道不知道你不能碰触军官吗?”

The other one grabbed me from behind and pulled my arm up so that it twisted in the socket. —
另一个从后面抓住我,把我的手臂拉了起来,扭到了肩关节。 —

I turned with him and the other one grabbed me around the neck. —
我和他转身,另一个抓住了我的脖子。 —

I kicked his shins and got my left knee into his groin.
我踢了他的小腿,左膝撞向他的生殖器。

“Shoot him if he resists,” I heard some one say.
“如果他反抗就开枪”,我听见有人说。

“What’s the meaning of this?” Itried to shout but my voice was not very loud. —
“这是什么意思?”我尝试着喊出来,但声音不够大声。 —

They had me at the side of the road now.
他们现在把我带在路边。

“Shoot him if he resists,” an officer said. “Take him over back.”
一个警官说:“如果他抵抗,就把他击毙。”“把他带到后面。”

“Who are you?”
“你是谁?”

“You’ll find out.”
“你会知道的。”

“Who are you?”
“你是谁?”

“Battle police,” another officer said.
另一个警官说:“战斗警察。”

“Why don’t you ask me to step over instead of having one of these airplanes grab me?”
“为什么不让我过去,而是让这些飞机中的一个抓我呢?”

They did not answer. They did not have to answer. They were battle police.
他们没有回答。他们不用回答。他们是战斗警察。

“Take him back there with the others,” the first officer said. —
第一个警官说:“把他带回去和其他人一起。” —

“You see. He speaks Italian with an accent.”
“你看,他带着意大利口音说话。”

“So do you, you ,” I said.
“你也是,你…”我说。

“Take him back with the others,” the first officer said. —
第一个警官说:“把他和其他人带回去。” —

They took me down behind the line of officers below the road toward a group of people in a field by the river bank. —
他们把我领到了路下一排警官旁边,朝着河岸旁的一群人走去。 —

As we walked toward them shots were fired. I saw flashes of the rifles and heard the reports. —
当我们朝他们走去时,枪声响起。我看到枪口闪光,听到枪声。 —

We came up to the group. There were four officers standing together, with a man in front of them with a carabiniere on each side of him. —
我们走到了那群人面前。有四名警官站在一起,前面有一个男人,两侧各有一名武装警察。 —

A group of men were standing guarded by carabinieri. —
一群男人站在卡拉比尼耶里(意大利国家警察)的警戒下面。 —

Four other carabinieri stood near the questioning officers, leaning on their carbines. —
四名其他卡拉比尼耶里站在询问官员旁边,把卡宾枪靠在身上。 —

They were wide-hatted carabinieri. The two who had me shoved me in with the group waiting to be questioned. —
他们戴着宽边帽的卡拉比尼耶里。其中两个把我推进了等待被询问的人群中。 —

I looked at the man the officers were questioning. —
我看着官员们在询问的那个人。 —

He was the fat gray-haired little lieutenant-colonel they had taken out of the column. —
他是那个从队伍中带出来的那位胖乎乎、头发灰白的少校。 —

The questioners had all the efficiency, coldness and command of themselves of Italians who are firing and are not being fired on.
询问者们具有意大利人在开枪而不是被开枪射击时所具有的高效率、冷酷和自律。

“Your brigade?”
“你的旅团?”

He told them.
他告诉他们。

“Regiment?”
“团?”

He told them.
他告诉他们。

“Why are you not with your regiment?”
“为什么你不在你的团里?”

He told them.
他告诉他们。

“Do you not know that an officer should be with his troops?” He did.
“你不知道一名军官应该和他的部队在一起吗?” 他知道。

That was all. Another officer spoke.
就是这样。另一名军官说。

“It is you and such as you that have let the barbarians onto the sacred soil of the fatherland.”
“就是你们这些人让野蛮人闯入了祖国的圣土。”

“I beg your pardon,” said the lieutenant-colonel.
“请您原谅,”中校说道。

“It is because of treachery such as yours that we have lost the fruits of victory.”
“正是因为像你这样的背叛,我们才失去了胜利的果实。”

“Have you ever been in a retreat?” the lieutenant-colonel asked.
“你有过撤退的经历吗?”中校问道。

“Italy should never retreat.”
“意大利永远不应该撤退。”

We stood there in the rain and listened to this. —
我们站在雨中聆听着这一切。 —

We were facing the officers and the prisoner stood in front and a little to one side of us.
我们面对着军官们,囚犯站在我们面前,稍微靠一侧。

“If you are going to shoot me,” the lieutenant-colonel said, “please shoot me at once without further questioning. —
“如果你们要枪毙我,”中校说,“请立刻开枪,不要再问了。提问很愚蠢。”他做了个十字架的手势。 —

The questioning is stupid.” He made the sign of the cross. —
军官们交头接耳。其中一人在纸上写了些什么。 —

The officers spoke together. One wrote something on a pad of paper.
“擅离部队,处决,”他说。

“Abandoned his troops, ordered to be shot,” he said.
两名武装警察把中校带到了河岸边。

Two carabinieri took the lieutenant-colonel to the river bank. —
他在雨中走着,一个老人拿着帽子,两名武装警察一个在左一个在右。 —

He walked in the rain, an old man with his hat off, a carabinieri on either side. —
我没有看着他们开枪,但我听见了枪声。他们在审问别人。 —

I did not watch them shoot him but I heard the shots. They were questioning some one else. —
这名军官也被远离部队。他没有被允许做解释。 —

This officer too was separated from his troops. He was not allowed to make an explanation. —
在读出纸上的判决之后,他哭了。他们在枪杀他之前又在审问另一个人。 —

He cried when they read the sentence from the pad of paper, and they were questioning another when they shot him. —
这时他们正问着另一个人,然后开枪了。 —

They made a point of being intent on questioning the next man while the man who had been questioned before was being shot. —
他们特意强调要在前一个被质问的人被枪毙时质问下一个人。 —

In this way there was obviously nothing they could do about it. —
显然他们对此束手无策。 —

I did not know whether I should wait to be questioned or make a break now. —
我不知道是等待被质问还是现在就逃跑。 —

I was obviously a German in Italian uniform. I saw how their minds worked; —
显然我是一个穿意大利制服的德国人。我看到了他们的思维方式; —

if they had minds and if they worked. They were all young men and they were saving their country. —
如果他们有思维,而且思维是有效的。他们都是年轻人,他们在拯救他们的国家。 —

The second army was being re-formed beyond the Tagliamento. —
第二军正重新在泰恩河之外组建。 —

They were executing officers of the rank of major and above who were separated from their troops. —
他们正在处决那些与部队分开的准将以上级别的军官。 —

They were also dealing summarily with German agitators in Italian uniform. They wore steel helmets. —
他们也迅速处理穿意大利制服的德国煽动者。他们戴着钢盔。 —

Only two of us had steel helmets. Some of the carabinieri had them. —
我们只有两个人戴着钢盔。一些憲兵也有。 —

The other carabinieri wore the wide hat. Airplanes we called them. —
其他憲兵戴着宽边的帽子。我们将它们称为飞机盖。 —

We stood in the rain and were taken out one at a time to be questioned and shot. —
我们站在雨中,一个一个被带出去接受质问并被枪杀。 —

So far they had shot every one they had questioned. —
到目前为止,他们质问的每一个人都被枪杀了。 —

The questioners had that beautiful detachment and devotion to stern justice of men dealing in death without being in any danger of it. —
质问者们展现出了那种美丽的超然和对严厉正义的奉献,这是那些在死亡中游刃有余的人的特征。 —

They were questioning a full colonel of a line regiment. —
他们在质问一个线连上校。 —

Three more officers had just been put in with us.
又有三名军官刚刚被带进来。

“Where was his regiment?”
“他的团在哪里?”

I looked at the carabinieri. They were looking at the newcomers. —
我看向了慈善警察。他们在看着新来的人。 —

The others were looking at the colonel. I ducked down, pushed between two men, and ran for the river, my head down. —
其他人都在看着那位上校。我躲了下去,挤过两个人,朝河边跑去,低着头。 —

I tripped at the edge and went in with a splash. —
我在河边绊倒,溅起了水花。 —

The water was very cold and I stayed under as long as I could. —
水很冷,我尽量在水下待得久一些。 —

I could feel the current swirl me and I stayed under until I thought I could never come up. —
我能感觉到水流把我席卷,一直待在水底,直到觉得再也浮不上来。 —

The minute I came up I took a breath and went down again. —
我浮上来的瞬间就吸了口气,然后又沉了下去。 —

It was easy to stay under with so much clothing and my boots. —
有这么多衣服和靴子,待在水下很容易。 —

When I came up the second time I saw a piece of timber ahead of me and reached it and held on with one hand. —
第二次浮上来时,我看到前面有一块木头,伸手抓住,并用一只手抓住。 —

I kept my head behind it and did not even look over it. I did not want to see the bank. —
我把头藏在木头后面,甚至不敢翻过头去。我不想看到岸边。 —

There were shots when I ran and shots when I came up the first time. —
我跑的时候听到枪声,第一次浮上来的时候也听到了枪声。 —

I heard them when I was almost above water. There were no shots now. —
当我几乎浮出水面时我听到了枪声。现在没有枪声了。 —

The piece of timber swung in the current and I held it with one hand. I looked at the bank. —
木头在水流中摇摆,我用一只手抓住。我看着岸边。 —

It seemed to be going by very fast. There was much wood in the stream. The water was very cold. —
岸边似乎在飞快地疾驰。水流中有很多木材。水很冷。 —

We passed the brush of an island above the water. —
我们经过了水面上方的一个岛的灌木。 —

I held onto the timber with both hands and let it take me along. —
我双手抓紧木头,让它带着我前行。 —

The shore was out of sight now.
现在岸边已经看不见了。