I was away for two days at the posts. When I got home it was too late and I did not see Miss Barkley until the next evening. —
我在哨所呆了两天。回家时已经太晚了,直到第二天晚上才见到巴克莱小姐。 —

She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. —
花园里没有她,我只能在医院办公室等她下来。 —

There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office. —
房间里有很多大理石半身像,都立在油漆木柱上。 —

The hall too, that the office opened on, was lined with them. —
通往办公室的大厅也是一排排。 —

They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike. —
它们都具有大理石的完美质感,看起来都一样。 —

Sculpture had always seemed a dull business–still, bronzes looked like something. —
雕塑向来让人感到乏味–不过,铜像还算像点东西。 —

But marble busts all looked like a cemetery. —
但是半身像看起来都像墓地。 —

There was one fine cemetery though–the one at Pisa. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. —
不过有一个绝好的墓地–比萨的那个地方。热那亚是看坏大理石的地方。 —

This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty. —
这曾是一个非常富有的德国人的别墅,半身像一定花了他不少钱。 —

I wondered who had done them and how much he got. —
我好奇是谁雕刻的,他们赚了多少。 —

I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; —
我试图弄清楚它们是家族成员还是什么; —

but they were all uniformly classical. You could not tell anything about them.
但它们都统一地经典。你什么都看不出来。

I sat on a chair and held my cap. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. —
我坐在椅子上拿着我的帽子。我们应该在哥里齐亚戴钢盔,但那太不舒服,而且在一个没有被疏散的市镇里太过戏剧化了。 —

I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. —
去哨所时我戴了一个,还带了一个英国防毒面具。 —

We were just beginning to get some of them. They were a real mask. —
我们刚刚开始得到一些。那是真正的面具。 —

Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers. —
此外,我们被要求随身携带自动手枪;即使是医生和卫生官员。 —

I felt it against the back of the chair. —
我感觉到它靠在椅子背上。 —

You were liable to arrest if you did not have one worn in plain sight. —
如果没有佩戴在显眼的地方,你将有可能被逮捕。 —

Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. —
林纳尔迪带着一只塞满卫生纸的手枪皮套。 —

I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. —
我佩戴一把真的手枪,练习射击时感觉像个持枪者。 —

It was an Astra 7.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything. —
这是一把7.65口径的阿斯特拉手枪,枪管很短,放开扳机时跳动得如此剧烈,根本不可能命中任何目标。 —

I practised with it, holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met English-speaking people. —
我练习射击,瞄准目标下方,试图控制那把荒谬短枪管的猛颤,直到我能在二十步外的目标范围内射中,然后我突然悟到携带手枪的荒谬,并很快忘掉了它,让它在腰背处颠簸着,遇到讲英语的人时只有一种模糊的羞耻感。 —

I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor, the pillars with the marble busts, and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley. —
我现在坐在椅子上,一名类似助手的人从桌子后面不满地看着我,我看着大理石地板、大理石半身像的柱子和墙上的壁画,等待巴克莱小姐。 —

The frescoes were not bad. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off.
壁画并不糟糕。任何壁画在开始剥落脱落时都是好的。

I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall, and stood up. —
我看到凯瑟琳·巴克莱走过走廊,站起来。 —

She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely.
她朝我走来时并不显得很高,但看起来非常可爱。

“Good-evening, Mr. Henry,” she said.
“晚上好,亨利先生,”她说。

“How do you do?” I said. The orderly was listening behind the desk.
“你好,”我说。桌子后面的助手正在听着。

“Shall we sit here or go out in the garden?”
“我们在这里坐还是出去花园里?”

“Let’s go out. It’s much cooler.”
“我们出去吧。外面凉快多了。”

I walked behind her out into the garden, the orderly looking after us. —
我跟在她身后走出花园,看护人在后面照看着我们。 —

When we were out on the gravel drive she said, “Where have you been?”
当我们走在碎石路上时,她说:“你去哪里了?”

“I’ve been out on post.”
“我在岗哨外面。”

“You couldn’t have sent me a note?”
“你不可以给我写个字条吗?”

“No,” I said. “Not very well. I thought I was coming back.”
“不行,”我说。“不太方便。我本来以为我会回来的。”

“You ought to have let me know, darling.”
“你应该告诉我,亲爱的。”

We were off the driveway, walking under the trees. I took her hands, then stopped and kissed her.
我们走出了车道,走在树荫下。我握住她的手,停下来亲吻了她。

“Isn’t there anywhere we can go?”
“我们不能找个地方去吗?”

“No,” she said. “We have to just walk here. You’ve been away a long time.”
“不行,”她说。“我们只能在这里走着。你离开了很久。”

“This is the third day. But I’m back now.”
“这已经第三天了。但现在我回来了。”

She looked at me, “And you do love me?”
她看着我,“你真的爱我吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“You did say you loved me, didn’t you?”
“你的确说过你爱我,不是吗?”

“Yes,” I lied. “I love you.” I had not said it before.
“是的,”我撒了个谎。“我爱你。”之前我并没有说过。

“And you call me Catherine?”
“你叫我卡瑟琳?”

“Catherine.”
“凯瑟琳。”

We walked on a way and were stopped under a tree.
我们走着,在树下停了下来。

“Say, ‘I’ve come back to Catherine in the night.”
“说,’我在夜里回来找凯瑟琳。’”

“I’ve come back to Catherine in the night.”
“我在夜里回来找凯瑟琳。”

“Oh, darling, you have come back, haven’t you?”
“哦,亲爱的,你回来了,对吧?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“I love you so and it’s been awful. You won’t go away?”
“我如此爱你,这段时间太难熬了。你不会再离开吧?”

“No. I’ll always come back.”
“不会。我会永远回来。”

“Oh, I love you so. Please put your hand there again.”
“哦,我那么爱你。请再把你的手放在那里。”

“It’s not been away.” I turned her so I could see her face when I kissed her and I saw that her eyes were shut. —
“我的手一直没离开过。”我转过她,这样我能在亲吻她时看到她的脸,我看到她闭着眼睛。 —

I kissed both her shut eyes. I thought she was probably a little crazy. —
我亲吻了她双眼闭着的眼睛。我觉得她可能有点疯狂。 —

It was all right if she was. I did not care what I was getting into. —
如果是这样,那也没关系。我不在乎我要做什么。 —

This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. —
这比每天晚上去军官宿舍好,那里的女孩们总是贴着你并把你的帽子戴反了,以示他们和兄弟军官们在楼上的亲昵往来。 —

I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. —
我知道我不爱凯瑟琳·巴克莱,也没有任何爱她的想法。 —

This was a game, like bridge, in which you said things instead of playing cards. —
这只是一个游戏,像桥牌一样,你说话而不是打牌。 —

Like bridge you had to pretend you were playing for money or playing for some stakes. —
像桥牌一样,你得假装在赌钱或打赌。 —

Nobody had mentioned what the stakes were. —
没有人提到是什么赌注。 —

It was all right with me.
对我来说没关系。

“I wish there was some place we could go,” I said. —
“我希望有个地方我们可以去,”我说。 —

I was experiencing the masculine difficulty of making love very long standing up.
我经历着在站立很久的时候做爱时的男性困难。

“There isn’t any place,” she said. She came back from wherever she had been.
“没有任何地方,”她说。她从别的地方回来了。

“We might sit there just for a little while.”
“我们可以在那里坐一会儿。

We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkley’s hand. —
我们坐在平石长凳上,我握着凯瑟琳·巴克利的手。 —

She would not let me put my arm around her.
她不让我搂着她。

“Are you very tired?” she asked.
“你很累吗?“她问。

“No.”
“不.”

She looked down at the grass.
她低头看着草坪。

“This is a rotten game we play, isn’t it?”
“这个游戏我们玩的很烂,对吧?”

“What game?”
“什么游戏?”

“Don’t be dull.”
“别磨叽了。”

“I’m not, on purpose.”
“我并不是故意的。”

“You’re a nice boy,” she said. “And you play it as well as you know how. But it’s a rotten game.”
“你是个好孩子,”她说。“你尽力做得很好。但这是个可恶的游戏。”

“Do you always know what people think?”
“你总是知道别人在想什么吗?”

“Not always. But I do with you. You don’t have to pretend you love me. —
“并不总是。但和你在一起我知道。你不必假装爱我。” —

That’s over for the evening. Is there anything you’d like to talk about?”
“今晚的事情结束了。有什么想谈的吗?”

“But I do love you.”
“但我爱你。”

“Please let’s not lie when we don’t have to. I had a very fine little show and I’m all right now. —
“请不要在不必要时说谎。我刚才表演得很好,现在我很好。” —

You see I’m not mad and I’m not gone off. —
“你看,我没有发疯,我并没有变得迷失。” —

It’s only a little sometimes.”
“只是有时候会有一点。”

I pressed her hand, “Dear Catherine.”
我握住她的手,“亲爱的凯瑟琳。”

“It sounds very funny now–Catherine. You don’t pronounce it very much alike. —
“现在听起来很有趣–凯瑟琳。你说得和很像。” —

But you’re very nice. You’re a very good boy.”
“但你真的很好。你是个很好的孩子。”

“That’s what the priest said.”
“神父也这么说过。”

“Yes, you’re very good. And you will come and see me?”
“是的,你很好。你会来看我吗?”

“Of course.”
“当然会。”

“And you don’t have to say you love me. That’s all over for a while.” —
“你不必说你爱我。那段时间已经结束了。” —

She stood up and put out her hand. “Good-night.”
她站起身,伸出手。“晚安。”

I wanted to kiss her.
我想吻她。

“No,” she said. “I’m awfully tired.”
“不,”她说。“我真的很累。”

“Kiss me, though,” I said.
“不过还是吻我吧,”我说。

“I’m awfully tired, darling.”
“我真的很累,亲爱的。”

“Kiss me.”
“吻我。”

“Do you want to very much?”
“你很想要吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

We kissed and she broke away suddenly. “No. Good-night, please, darling.” —
我们亲吻了,然后她突然挣脱开来。“不,晚安,请,亲爱的。” —

We walked to the door and I saw her go in and down the hall. I liked to watch her move. —
我们走到门口,我看着她进了门,然后走过走廊。我喜欢看着她走路。 —

She went on down the hall. I went on home. —
她继续向走廊的深处走去。我继续回家。 —

It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. —
那是一个炎热的夜晚,山上灯火通明。 —

I watched the flashes on San Gabriele.
我注视着圣加布里埃尔的闪光。

I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. —
我停在维拉罗萨前。百叶窗关闭着,里面还在进行着。 —

Somebody was singing. I went on home. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing.
有人在唱歌。我就回家了。当我正在脱衣服的时候,Rinaldi进来了。

“Ah, ha!” he said. “It does not go so well. Baby is puzzled.”
“啊哈!“他说。“情况不太顺利。宝贝感到困惑。”

“Where have you been?”
“你去哪了?”

“At the Villa Rossa. It was very edifying, baby. We all sang. Where have you been?”
“在罗萨庄园。那里非常生动,宝贝。我们都在唱歌。你去哪了?”

“Calling on the British.”
“拜访英国人。”

“Thank God I did not become involved with the British.”
“感谢上帝我没有和英国人扯上关系。”