As we moved out through the town it was empty in the rain and the dark except for columns of troops and guns that were going through the main street. —
当我们穿过城市时,除了穿过主要街道的军队和枪支列队而行,雨夜里整个城市空无一人。 —

There were many trucks too and some carts going through on other streets and converging on the main road. —
还有许多卡车和一些马车在其他街道上行驶,汇聚到主干道上。 —

When we were out past the tanneries onto the main road the troops, the motor trucks, the horse-drawn carts and the guns were in one wide slow-moving column. —
当我们走出制革厂到达主干道时,军队、机动车、马车和大炮齐头并进,形成一支缓慢移动的大队伍。 —

We moved slowly but steadily in the rain, the radiator cap of our car almost against the tailboard of a truck that was loaded high, the load covered with wet canvas. —
我们在雨中缓慢但稳定地前行,我们的汽车的散热器盖几乎贴在一辆装载高的卡车的尾板上,车载物被湿帆布遮盖着。 —

Then the truck stopped. The whole column was stopped. —
然后卡车停了下来。整个队伍都停下了。 —

It started again and we went a little farther, then stopped. —
又重新启动,我们又向前走了一点,然后停下来。 —

I got out and walked ahead, going between the trucks and carts and under the wet necks of the horses. —
我下车前行,穿过卡车和马车之间,在车辆的湿漉漉的马颈下穿行。 —

The block was farther ahead. I left the road, crossed the ditch on a footboard and walked along the field beyond the ditch. —
阻塞还在更远的地方。我离开路面,通过脚踏板跨过沟渠,并沿着沟渠对面的田地前行。 —

I could see the stalled column between the trees in the rain as I went forward across from it in the field. —
我可以看到在雨中向前走,顺着田地向前移动,旁边树木间的停在那里的队伍。 —

I went about a mile. The column did not move, although, on the other side beyond the stalled vehicles I could see the troops moving. —
我走了大约一英里。尽管在另一侧停在车辆后面的地方,我可以看到部队在移动,但队伍并未前进。 —

I went back to the cars. This block might extend as far as Udine. Piani was asleep over the wheel. —
我回到了车辆。这个阻塞可能会一直延伸到乌迪内。皮亚尼正在方向盘上睡着了。 —

I climbed up beside him and went to sleep too. —
我爬到他旁边,也开始睡觉。 —

Several hours later I heard the truck ahead of us grinding into gear. —
几个小时后,我听到我们前面的卡车发动引擎的声音。 —

I woke Piani and we started, moving a few yards, then stopping, then going on again. —
我叫醒皮亚尼,我们启动,前进了几码,然后停下,再继续前行。 —

It was still raining.
雨还在下着。

The column stalled again in the night and did not start. —
这栏在晚上再次抛锚,无法启动。 —

I got down and went back to see Aymo and Bonello. —
我下车回去找Aymo和Bonello。 —

Bonello had two sergeants of engineers on the seat of his car with him. —
Bonello的车上坐着两名工兵中士。 —

They stiffened when I came up.
当我走近时,他们竖起了身子。

“They were left to do something to a bridge,” Bonello said. —
“他们被留下来做某座桥的事情,” Bonello说。 —

“They can’t find their unit so I gave them a ride.”
“他们找不到他们的部队,所以我让他们搭车。”

“With the Sir Lieutenant’s permission.”
“在Sir Lieutenant的允许下。”

“With permission,” I said.
“得到允许了,”我说。

“The lieutenant is an American,” Bonello said. “He’ll give anybody a ride.”
“这位中尉是美国人,”Bonello说。”他会让任何人搭车的。”

One of the sergeants smiled. The other asked Bonello if I was an Italian from North or South America.
其中一个中士微笑了。另一个问Bonello我是来自北美还是南美的意大利人。

“He’s not an Italian. He’s North American English.”
“他不是意大利人。他是北美的英国人。”

The sergeants were polite but did not believe it. —
这两名中士很有礼貌,但不相信。 —

I left them and went back to Aymo. He had two girls on the seat with him and was sitting back in the corner and smoking.
我离开了他们,回到Aymo那里。他的车上坐着两个女孩,他靠在角落里抽烟。

“Barto, Barto,” I said. He laughed.
“Barto,Barto,”我说。他笑了。

“Talk to them, Tenente,” he said. “I can’t understand them. Hey!” —
“跟她们说话,中尉,”他说。”我听不懂她们。嘿!” —

He put his hand on the girl’s thigh and squeezed it in a friendly way. —
他友好地将手放在女孩的大腿上,并用力地握了一下。 —

The girl drew her shawl tight around her and pushed his hand away. “Hey!” —
女孩紧紧地围着披肩,推开他的手。“嘿!” —

he said. “Tell the Tenente your name and what you’re doing here.”
他说。“告诉中尉你的名字和你在这里干什么。”

The girl looked at me fiercely. The other girl kept her eyes down. —
女孩凶狠地看着我。另一个女孩低着头。 —

The girl who looked at me said something in a dialect I could not understand a word of. —
那个看着我的女孩用我听不懂的方言说了点什么。 —

She was plump and dark and looked about sixteen.
她丰满而深色,看起来大约十六岁。

“Sorella?” I asked and pointed at the other girl.
“妹妹?” 我指了指另一个女孩。

She nodded her head and smiled.
她点了点头,微笑着。

“All right,” I said and patted her knee. I felt her stiffen away when I touched her. —
“好吧,”我说着拍了拍她的膝盖。当我碰到她时,我感觉到她在僵硬地躲开。 —

The sister never looked up. She looked perhaps a year younger. —
妹妹一直没有抬头。她看起来或许小一岁。 —

Aymo put his hand on the elder girl’s thigh and she pushed it away. He laughed at her.
艾莫把手放在大女孩的大腿上,她把他推开。他对她笑了笑。

“Good man,” he pointed at himself. “Good man,” he pointed at me. “Don’t you worry.” —
“好人,”他指了指自己。“好人,”他指了指我。“别担心。” —

The girl looked at him fiercely. The pair of them were like two wild birds.
女孩瞪着他。他俩就像两只野鸟。

“What does she ride with me for if she doesn’t like me?” Aymo asked. —
“她如果不喜欢我,她为什么还和我一起骑车?”艾莫问道。 —

“They got right up in the car the minute I motioned to them.” He turned to the girl. —
“她们一挥手就上了车。”他转向女孩。 —

“Don’t worry,” he said. “No danger of –,” using the vulgar word. “No place for –.” —
“不用担心,”他说。“不会有—的危险。没有—的地方。” —

I could see she understood the word and that was all. Her eyes looked at him very scared. —
我能看到她理解了这个词,那就是全部。她的眼睛看着他,非常害怕。 —

She pulled the shawl tight. “Car all full,” Aymo said. “No danger of —- . No place for –.” —
她把披肩拉得很紧。“车里已经满了,”艾莫说。“没有—的危险。没有—的地方。” —

Every time he said the word the girl stiffened a little. —
每次他说这个词,那女孩就稍微僵硬一些。 —

Then sitting stiffly and looking at him she began to cry. —
然后她坐得笔直,看着他,开始哭泣。 —

I saw her lips working and then tears came down her plump cheeks. —
我看到她的嘴唇动着,然后泪水顺着她丰满的脸颊流下来。 —

Her sister, not looking up, took her hand and they sat there together. —
她姐姐没抬头,拉着她的手,她们就这样坐在那里。 —

The older one, who had been so fierce, began to sob.
那位本来很凶猛的姐姐开始哭泣。

“I guess I scared her,” Aymo said. “I didn’t mean to scare her.”
“我想我吓到她了,”艾莫说。“我不是故意吓她的。”

Bartolomeo brought out his knapsack and cut off two pieces of cheese. —
巴托洛梅奥拿出背包,切下两片奶酪。 —

“Here,” he said. “Stop crying.”
“拿去,”他说。“别哭了。”

The older girl shook her head and still cried, but the younger girl took the cheese and commenced to eat. —
那位大姐摇了摇头,还在哭泣,但是小姑娘接过奶酪,开始吃。 —

After a while the younger girl gave her sister the second piece of cheese and they both ate. —
过了一会儿,小姑娘把第二片奶酪给了她姐姐,她们就都吃起来了。 —

The older sister still sobbed a little.
那位大姐还有点抽泣。

“She’ll be all right after a while,” Aymo said.
“过一会儿她会好起来的,”艾莫说。

An idea came to him. “Virgin?” he asked the girl next to him. She nodded her head vigorously. —
一个念头出现在他脑海中。他问身旁的女孩:”处女?” 女孩使劲点头。 —

“Virgin too?” he pointed to the sister. Both the girls nodded their heads and the elder said something in dialect.
“她也是处女?” 他指向那位姐姐。两个女孩都点头,姐姐用方言说了些什么。

“That’s all right,” Bartolomeo said. “That’s all right.”
“没关系,没关系,” 巴托洛梅奥说。

Both the girls seemed cheered.
两个女孩似乎都高兴了。

I left them sitting together with Aymo sitting back in the corner and went back to Piani’s car. —
我让他们坐在一起,艾莫坐在角落里,然后回到皮安尼的车上。 —

The column of vehicles did not move but the troops kept passing alongside. —
车队没有行进,但军队不断经过。 —

It was still raining hard and I thought some of the stops in the movement of the column might be from cars with wet wiring. —
雨仍在倾盆而下,我觉得车队移动时停下的一些原因可能是因为有湿漏电线的车辆。 —

More likely they were from horses or men going to sleep. —
更有可能是因为马匹或士兵困倦的缘故。 —

Still, traffic could tie up in cities when every one was awake. —
尽管如此,在城市里,交通堵塞可能是因为每个人都醒着。 —

It was the combination of horse and motor vehicles. They did not help each other any. —
马车与机动车辆组合在一起。它们并没有互相帮助。 —

The peasants’ carts did not help much either. —
农民的马车也没什么帮助。 —

Those were a couple of fine girls with Barto. A retreat was no place for two virgins. Real virgins. —
那是两个与巴托一起的好女孩。撤退对于两个处女来说不是个好地方。真正的处女。 —

Probably very religious. If there were no war we would probably all be in bed. —
可能非常虔诚。如果没有战争,我们可能都会躺在床上。 —

In bed I lay me down my head. Bed and board. Stiff as a board in bed. —
躺在床上我放下头。床和餐。僵硬如板在床上。 —

Catherine was in bed now between two sheets, over her and under her. Which side did she sleep on? —
凯瑟琳现在躺在床上,被两层被子覆盖。她在被子里还是被子外睡? —

Maybe she wasn’t asleep. Maybe she was lying thinking about me. Blow, blow, ye western wind. —
或许她并没有睡着。也许她躺着想着我。风啊,吹吧,西风。 —

Well, it blew and it wasn’t the small rain but the big rain down that rained. It rained all night. —
好吧,风刮过来了,不是小雨而是大雨倾盆而下。整夜都在下雨。 —

You knew it rained down that rained. Look at it. —
你知道下着倾盆大雨。看着吧。 —

Christ, that my love were in my arms and I in my bed again. That my love Catherine. —
基督啊,愿我的爱人在我怀里,我再次回到我的床上。那是我的爱人凯瑟琳。 —

That my sweet love Catherine down might rain. Blow her again to me. Well, we were in it. —
愿我甜爱的凯瑟琳也在下雨中吹到我身边。我们当时在雨中。 —

Every one was caught in it and the small rain would not quiet it. —
每个人都淋湿了,小雨无法停息。 —

“Good-night, Catherine,” I said out loud. “I hope you sleep well. —
“晚安,凯瑟琳,”我大声说道。”希望你睡个好觉。 —

If it’s too uncomfortable, darling, lie on the other side,” I said. “I’ll get you some cold water. —
如果太不舒服,亲爱的,换个姿势躺着,”我说。“我去给你拿点凉水。 —

In a little while it will be morning and then it won’t be so bad. —
再过一会就是清晨了,然后就不会那么难受了。 —

I’m sorry he makes you so uncomfortable. —
很遗憾他让你这么不舒服。 —

Try and go to sleep, sweet.”
尽量去睡吧,亲爱的。

I was asleep all the time, she said. You’ve been talking in your sleep. Are you all right?
我一直在睡觉,她说。你一直在说梦话。你没事吧?

Are you really there?
你真的在这里吗?

Of course I’m here. I wouldn’t go away. This doesn’t make any difference between us.
当然我在这里。我不会走开。这不会改变我们之间的任何事。

You’re so lovely and sweet. You wouldn’t go away in the night, would you?
你是如此可爱和甜蜜。你不会在夜里离开,对吗?

Of course I wouldn’t go away. I’m always here. I come whenever you want me.
当然我不会离开。我一直在这里。我随时都会过来。

”–,” Piani said. “They’ve started again.”
“–,”皮亚尼说。“他们又开始了。”

“I was dopey,” I said. I looked at my watch. It was three o’clock in the morning. —
“我刚睡醒,”我说。我看了看表,已经是凌晨三点了。 —

I reached back behind the seat for a bottle of the barbera.
我在座位后面摸了一瓶巴贝拉葡萄酒。

“You talked out loud,” Piani said.
“你刚才大声说话了,”皮亚尼说。

“I was having a dream in English,” I said.
“我在梦里用英语说话,”我说。

The rain was slacking and we were moving along. —
雨已经稍微停了,我们继续前行。 —

Before daylight we were stalled again and when it was light we were at a little rise in the ground and I saw the road of the retreat stretched out far ahead, everything stationary except for the infantry filtering through. —
天亮之前,我们再次停滞不前,等到天亮时,我们处于一处小坡上,我看到了撤退的道路一直延伸远在前方,一切静止不动,只有步兵穿插其中。 —

We started to move again but seeing the rate of progress in the daylight, I knew we were going to have to get off that main road some way and go across country if we ever hoped to reach Udine.
我们重新开始走路,但在白天看清了进展速度后,我知道如果希望能够抵达乌迪内,我们必须想办法离开主干道,穿越乡间。

In the night many peasants had joined the column from the roads of the country and in the column there were carts loaded with household goods; —
夜间,许多农民从乡间的小路加入了队伍,队伍中有装载家具的马车; —

there were mirrors projecting up between mattresses, and chickens and ducks tied to carts. —
镜子从床垫间伸出来,还有被绑在车上的鸡和鸭。 —

There was a sewing machine on the cart ahead of us in the rain. —
在我们前面的马车上,有一台缝纫机,暴雨中。 —

They had saved the most valuable things. —
他们保留了最有价值的东西。 —

On some carts the women sat huddled from the rain and others walked beside the carts keeping as close to them as they could. —
有的马车上,妇女们挤在一起躲避雨水,有的则在车旁边走,尽量靠近车辆。 —

There were dogs now in the column, keeping under the wagons as they moved along. —
队伍中现在出现了狗,它们躲在马车下方跟随着一起前进。 —

The road was muddy, the ditches at the side were high with water and beyond the trees that lined the road the fields looked too wet and too soggy to try to cross. —
路面泥泞,路边的壕沟深满了积水,树木将路两侧廊满,路边的田野看上去太过湿润,不适合横穿。 —

I got down from the car and worked up the road a way, looking for a place where I could see ahead to find a side-road we could take across country. —
我下车沿着路走了一段,寻找一个可以往前看,找到一条我们可以穿越乡间的小路。 —

I knew there were many side-roads but did not want one that would lead to nothing. —
我知道有很多小路,但不想选一条通向无处的路。 —

I could not remember them because we had always passed them bowling along in the car on the main road and they all looked much alike. —
我记不清它们,因为我们一直在主路上飞驰而过,它们看起来都差不多。 —

Now I knew we must find one if we hoped to get through. —
现在我知道如果想要通过,我们必须找到一条小路。 —

No one knew where the Austrians were nor how things were going but I was certain that if the rain should stop and planes come over and get to work on that column that it would be all over. —
没人知道奥地利人在哪里,事态如何发展,但我肯定如果雨停了,飞机过来对那一大队发动攻击,那将是结束的时刻。 —

All that was needed was for a few men to leave their trucks or a few horses be killed to tie up completely the movement on the road.
只需有几个人离开卡车,或几匹马被打死,就能彻底阻塞道路上的行动。

The rain was not falling so heavily now and I thought it might clear. —
现在雨不像之前那样大了,我觉得可能天会晴。 —

I went ahead along the edge of the road and when there was a small road that led off to the north between two fields with a hedge of trees on both sides, I thought that we had better take it and hurried back to the cars. —
我沿着路边往前走,当看到一条小路通向北方,两片田野之间,两侧都有树篱,我觉得我们最好走这条路,匆匆回到车辆那里。 —

I told Piani to turn off and went back to tell Bonello and Aymo.
我告诉皮安尼驾车驶离,然后回去告诉邦内洛和艾莫。

“If it leads nowhere we can turn around and cut back in,” I said.
“如果它通向死路,我们可以调头回来重新走主路,” 我说。

“What about these?” Bonello asked. His two sergeants were beside him on the seat. —
“这些怎么处理?” 邦内洛问道。他的两名中士坐在他旁边。 —

They were unshaven but still military looking in the early morning.
他们胡须未剃,但在清晨仍显得有军人气质。

“They’ll be good to push,” I said. I went back to Aymo and told him we were going to try it across country.
“他们好推,” 我说。我又回到艾莫那里,告诉他我们要尝试跨越乡间。

“What about my virgin family?” Aymo asked. The two girls were asleep.
“我的处女家庭怎么办?” 艾莫问。两个女孩正在睡觉。

“They won’t be very useful,” I said. “You ought to have some one that could push.”
“它们不太有用,”我说。“你应该找个能推动的人。”

“They could go back in the car,” Aymo said. “There’s room in the car.”
“他们可以回到车上,”艾莫说。“车里有空间。”

“All right if you want them,” I said. “Pick up somebody with a wide back to push.”
“好的,如果你们想要的话,”我说。“找个有宽背的人来推。”

“Bersaglieri,” Aymo smiled. “They have the widest backs. —
“bersaglieri,”艾莫笑了。“他们有最宽的背。” —

They measure them. How do you feel, Tenente?”
“他们会测量他们的。你感觉怎么样,中尉?”

“Fine. How are you?”
“好。你呢?”

“Fine. But very hungry.”
“好。但非常饥饿。”

“There ought to be something up that road and we will stop and eat.”
“那条路上应该有一些东西,我们会停下来吃。”

“How’s your leg, Tenente?”
“你的腿感觉怎么样,中尉?”

“Fine,” I said. Standing on the step and looking up ahead I could see Piani’s car pulling out onto the little side-road and starting up it, his car showing through the hedge of bare branches. —
“好的,”我说。站在踏板上往前看,我看到皮亚尼的车驶出小边路并朝上开,他的车在光秃秃的树枝篱笆中显现。 —

Bonello turned off and followed him and then Piani worked his way out and we followed the two ambulances ahead along the narrow road between hedges. —
博内洛转向并跟随着他,然后皮亚尼摆出来,我们跟随着前面两辆救护车沿着篱笆间的狭窄道路。 —

It led to a farmhouse. We found Piani and Bonello stopped in the farmyard. —
它通往一座农舍。我们发现皮亚尼和博内洛停在农场院子里。 —

The house was low and long with a trellis with a grape-vine over the door. —
房子又长又低,门上有一棵葡萄藤。 —

There was a well in the yard and Piani was getting up water to fill his radiator. —
院子里有一口井,皮亚尼正在打水来给车水箱加水。 —

So much going in low gear had boiled it out. The farmhouse was deserted. —
转弯的时候开得太慢已经把水煮干了。农舍里没人。 —

I looked back down the road, the farmhouse was on a slight elevation above the plain, and we could see over the country, and saw the road, the hedges, the fields and the line of trees along the main road where the retreat was passing. —
我回头看了一眼路,农舍略高于平原,我们可以俯瞰整片乡村,看到了道路、树篱、田地和沿着主要道路的一排树,退却的部队正在经过。 —

The two sergeants were looking through the house. —
两名中士正在查看房子。 —

The girls were awake and looking at the courtyard, the well and the two big ambulances in front of the farmhouse, with three drivers at the well. —
姑娘们醒来了,望着院子、井和农舍前面停着的两辆大救护车,井边站着三名司机。 —

One of the sergeants came out with a clock in his hand.
其中一名中士拿着一只钟出来。

“Put it back,” I said. He looked at me, went in the house and came back without the clock.
“把它放回去,”我说。他看着我,进了房子,出来时手里没有钟。

“Where’s your partner?” I asked.
“你的搭档在哪?”我问。

“He’s gone to the latrine.” He got up on the seat of the ambulance. —
“他去上厕所了。”他爬上救护车的座位。 —

He was afraid we would leave him.
他怕我们会把他抛下。

“What about breakfast, Tenente?” Bonello asked. —
“早饭怎么办,泰尼恩特?”博内洛问。 —

“We could eat something. It wouldn’t take very long.”
“我们可以吃点东西。不会花很长时间。”

“Do you think this road going down on the other side will lead to anything?”
“你认为这条下坡的道路会通往什么地方吗?”

“Sure.”
“当然会。”

“All right. Let’s eat.” Piani and Bonello went in the house.
“好吧。我们来吃饭。”皮亚尼和博内洛进了房子。

“Come on,” Aymo said to the girls. He held his hand to help them down. —
“走吧,”艾莫对姑娘们说。他伸出手来帮助她们下来。 —

The older sister shook her head. They were not going into any deserted house. —
大姐摇了摇头。她们不打算进任何荒废的房子。 —

They looked after us.
他们照顾了我们。

“They are difficult,” Aymo said. We went into the farmhouse together. —
“他们很难相处,”艾莫说。我们一起走进了农舍。 —

It was large and dark, an abandoned feeling. —
这所房子很大,很暗,感觉像是被遗弃了。 —

Bonello and Piani were in the kitchen.
博内洛和皮亚尼在厨房里。

“There’s not much to eat,” Piani said. “They’ve cleaned it out.” —
“吃的不多,”皮亚尼说道。”他们把东西都清空了。” —

Bonello sliced a big cheese on the heavy kitchen table.
博内洛在厚重的厨房桌上切着一块大奶酪。

“Where was the cheese?”
“奶酪在哪里?”

“In the cellar. Piani found wine too and apples.”
“在地窖里。皮亚尼找到了葡萄酒和苹果。”

“That’s a good breakfast.”
“这就是一个不错的早餐。”

Piani was taking the wooden cork out of a big wicker-covered wine jug. —
皮亚尼正在把一个大的装满葡萄酒的柳条覆盖的酒罐里的木塞取出。 —

He tipped it and poured a copper pan full.
他倾倒了一整盆。

“It smells all right,” he said. “Find some beakers, Barto.”
“闻起来还好,”他说。”找些酒杯,巴托。”

The two sergeants came in.
两名中士进来了。

“Have some cheese, sergeants,” Bonello said.
“吃点奶酪,中士们,”博内洛说。

“We should go,” one of the sergeants said, eating his cheese and drinking a cup of wine.
“我们应该走了,”其中一个中士说着,一边吃着奶酪,一边喝着一杯葡萄酒。

“We’ll go. Don’t worry,” Bonello said.
“我们会走的。别担心,”邦内罗说。

“An army travels on its stomach,” I said.
“一个军队靠胃来行军,”我说。

“What?” asked the sergeant.
“什么?”中士问道。

“It’s better to eat.”
“吃饱是最重要的。”

“Yes. But time is precious.”
“是的。但时间很宝贵。”

“I believe the bastards have eaten already,” Piani said. —
“我想那帮混蛋们已经吃过了,”皮亚尼说。 —

The sergeants looked at him. They hated the lot of us.
中士们看着他。他们讨厌我们这群人。

“You know the road?” one of them asked me.
“你知道这条路吗?”其中一个问我。

“No,” I said. They looked at each other.
“不,”我说。他们相互看了看。

“We would do best to start,” the first one said.
“最好是动身了,”第一个说。

“We are starting,” I said. I drank another cup of the red wine. —
“我们已经在动身了,”我说。我又喝了一杯红酒。 —

It tasted very good after the cheese and apple.
经过吃了奶酪和苹果后,它尝起来非常不错。

“Bring the cheese,” I said and went out. Bonello came out carrying the great jug of wine.
“拿奶酪来,”我说着走出去。邦内罗拿出了大罐酒。

“That’s too big,” I said. He looked at it regretfully.
“这太大了,”我说。他遗憾地看着它。

“I guess it is,” he said. “Give me the canteens to fill.” —
“我想你是对的,”他说。“给我那些水壶来装水。” —

He filled the canteens and some of the wine ran out on the stone paving of the courtyard. Then he picked up the wine jug and put it just inside the door.
他装满了水壶,有些葡萄酒溢出在院子里的石板上。然后他拿起酒壶,放在门口的里边。

“The Austrians can find it without breaking the door down,” he said.
“奥地利人能找到它,而不需要破门而入,”他说。

“We’ll roll.” I said. “Piani and I will go ahead.” —
“我们出发吧。”我说。“皮亚尼和我会走在前面。” —

The two engineers were already on the seat beside Bonello. The girls were eating cheese and apples. —
两个工程师已经坐在邦尼洛旁边。女孩们在吃奶酪和苹果。 —

Aymo was smoking. We started off down the narrow road. —
艾莫在抽烟。我们开始沿着狭窄的道路前进。 —

I looked back at the two cars coming and the farmhouse. —
我回头看了看后面追来的两辆车和那座农舍。 —

It was a fine, low, solid stone house and the ironwork of the well was very good. —
那是一座精美、低矮、坚固的石头房子,井的铁件做得非常好。 —

Ahead of us the road was narrow and muddy and there was a high hedge on either side. —
在我们前方,道路狭窄而泥泞,两边有高高的树篱。 —

Behind, the cars were following closely.
在我们后面,车辆紧紧地跟在后面。