That night there was a storm and I woke to hear the rain lashing the window-panes. —
那天晚上下着暴风雨,我醒来听见雨点拍打着窗玻璃。 —

It was coming in the open window. Some one had knocked on the door. —
雨水透过敞开的窗户飘进来,有人敲门。 —

I went to the door very softly, not to disturb Catherine, and opened it. —
我轻手轻脚地走向门口,不想吵醒凯瑟琳,然后打开门。 —

The barman stood there. He wore his overcoat and carried his wet hat.
吧台招待站在那里,他穿着外套,拿着湿漉漉的帽子。

“Can I speak to you, Tenente?”
“我能和你谈谈吗,特尼恩特?”

“What’s the matter?”
“有什么事?”

“It’s a very serious matter.”
“这是一个很严重的问题。”

I looked around. The room was dark. I saw the water on the floor from the window. “Come in,” I said. —
我环顾四周,房间很黑。我看见窗户上的水。 “请进,”我说。 —

I took him by the arm into the bathroom; —
我拉着他的胳膊走进浴室; —

locked the door and put on the light. I sat down on the edge of the bathtub.
锁上门,打开灯。我坐在浴缸边缘。

“What’s the matter, Emilio? Are you in trouble?”
“怎么了,艾米利奥?你有麻烦吗?”

“No. You are, Tenente.”
“不,是你,特尼恩特。”

“Yes?”
“是吗?”

“They are going to arrest you in the morning.”
“他们明天会逮捕你。”

“Yes?”
“是吗?”

“I came to tell you. I was out in the town and I heard them talking in a caf?”
我来告诉你。我在镇上逛了逛,听到他们在咖啡馆里谈论。

“I see.”
我明白了。

He stood there, his coat wet, holding his wet hat and said nothing.
他站在那里,外套湿了,拿着湿帽子,一言不发。

“Why are they going to arrest me?”
他们为什么要逮捕我?

“For something about the war.”
因为关于战争的某件事。

“Do you know what?”
你知道是什么事吗?

“No. But I know that they know you were here before as an officer and now you are here out of uniform. —
不知道。但我知道他们知道你以前是军官,现在却不穿军装在这里。 —

After this retreat they arrest everybody.”
在这次撤退之后他们会逮捕所有人。

I thought a minute.
我想了一会儿。

“What time do they come to arrest me?”
他们什么时候来逮捕我?

“In the morning. I don’t know the time.”
在早晨。我不知道具体时间。

“What do you say to do?”
你说该怎么办?

He put his hat in the washbowl. It was very wet and had been dripping on the floor.
他把帽子放在洗脸盆里。帽子很湿,一直在滴在地板上。

“If you have nothing to fear an arrest is nothing. —
如果你没有什么可怕的事情,被逮捕只是小菜一碟。 —

But it is always bad to be arrested–especially now.”
但被逮捕总是不好–尤其是现在。

“I don’t want to be arrested.”
“我不想被逮捕。”

“Then go to Switzerland.”
“那就去瑞士吧。”

“How?”
“怎么去?”

“In my boat.”
“坐我的小船。”

“There is a storm,” I said.
“有风暴,” 我说。

“The storm is over. It is rough but you will be all right.”
“风暴已经过去了。海很急,但你会没事的。”

“When should we go?”
“我们什么时候出发?”

“Right away. They might come to arrest you early in the morning.”
“马上。他们可能会在早上早早来逮捕你。”

“What about our bags?”
“我们的行李怎么办?”

“Get them packed. Get your lady dressed. I will take care of them.”
“把它们打包好。让你的夫人穿好衣服。我来处理它们。”

“Where will you be?”
“你会去哪里?”

“I will wait here. I don’t want any one to see me outside in the hall.”
“我会在这里等着。我不希望有人看见我在走廊外面。”

I opened the door, closed it, and went into the bedroom. Catherine was awake.
我打开门,关上门,走进卧室。凯瑟琳醒了。

“What is it, darling?”
“怎么了,亲爱的?”

“It’s all right, Cat,” I said. “Would you like to get dressed right away and go in a boat to Switzerland?”
“没事,亲爱的,” 我说。”你想马上穿好衣服,坐船去瑞士吗?”

“Would you?”
“你会吗?”

“No,” I said. “I’d like to go back to bed.”
“不会,”我说,”我想回去睡觉。”

“What is it about?”
“是关于什么的?”

“The barman says they are going to arrest me in the morning.”
“酒吧老板说他们明早会来抓我。”

“Is the barman crazy?”
“酒吧老板疯了吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Then please hurry, darling, and get dressed so we can start.” —
“那请快点,亲爱的,穿好衣服,我们可以出发了。” —

She sat up on the side of the bed. She was still sleepy. —
她坐在床边,依然困倦。 —

“Is that the barman in the bathroom?”
“浴室里是酒吧老板吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Then I won’t wash. Please look the other way, darling, and I’ll be dressed in just a minute.”
“那我不会洗澡。亲爱的,请看别处,我马上就穿好。”

I saw her white back as she took off her night-gown and then I looked away because she wanted me to. —
我看到她把睡袍脱掉,然后转过了头,因为她想让我转过头。 —

She was beginning to be a little big with the child and she did not want me to see her. —
她开始显得有些孕肚,她不想让我看到她。 —

I dressed hearing the rain on the windows. —
我听着窗户上的雨声穿着衣服。 —

I did not have much to put in my bag.
我包里没有太多东西要放。

“There’s plenty of room in my bag, Cat, if you need any.”
“如果你需要,我的包里有足够的空间,猫。”

“I’m almost packed,” she said. “Darling, I’m awfully stupid, but why is the barman in the bathroom?”
“我几乎已经收拾好了,”她说。“亲爱的,我非常愚蠢,但酒吧男侍在浴室里做什么?”

“Sh–he’s waiting to take our bags down.”
“嘘——他在等着把我们的包拿下去。”

“He’s awfully nice.”
“他人很好。”

“He’s an old friend,” I said. “I nearly sent him some pipetobacco once.”
“他是个老朋友,”我说。“我曾经差点给他寄些烟斗烟草。”

I looked out the open window at the dark night. —
我朝着敞开的窗户看着漆黑的夜晚。 —

I could not see the lake, only the dark and the rain but the wind was quieter.
我看不到湖,只见黑暗和雨水,但风声变得更轻了。

“I’m ready, darling,” Catherine said.
“我准备好了,亲爱的,”凯瑟琳说。

“All right.” I went to the bathroom door. —
“好的,”我走到浴室门口。 —

“Here are the bags, Emilio,” I said. The barman took the two bags.
“这些包给你了,埃米利奥,”我说。酒吧侍拿走了两个包。

“You’re very good to help us,” Catherine said.
“你帮了我们很多,”凯瑟琳说。

“That’s nothing, lady,” the barman said. “I’m glad to help you just so I don’t get in trouble myself. Listen,” he said to me. —
“这没什么,夫人,”酒吧男侍说,“我很高兴帮助你们,只要我自己不惹麻烦。听着,”他对我说。 —

“I’ll take these out the servants’ stairs and to the boat. —
“我会把这些拿出去从仆人楼梯到小船那里。 —

You just go out as though you were going for a walk.”
你们就像出去散步一样走出去吧。”

“It’s a lovely night for a walk,” Catherine said.
“今晚散步真是再好不过了,”凯瑟琳说。

“It’s a bad night all right.”
“这绝对是个糟糕的夜晚。”

“I’m glad I’ve an umbrella,” Catherine said.
“我很高兴我有一把雨伞,” 凯瑟琳说。

We walked down the hall and down the wide thickly carpeted stairs. —
我们沿着走廊走下了宽阔的厚地毯楼梯。 —

At the foot of the stairs by the door the porter sat behind his desk.
在门旁的楼梯脚下,门房坐在他的办公桌后面。

He looked surprised at seeing us.
他看到我们时显得很惊讶。

“You’re not going out, sir?” he said.
“先生,您不打算外出吗?”他说。

“Yes,” I said. “We’re going to see the storm along the lake.”
“是的,”我说。“我们要去湖边看风暴。”

“Haven’t you got an umbrella, sir?”
“先生,您没有带伞吗?”

“No,” I said. “This coat sheds water.”
“没有,”我说。“这件大衣防水。”

He looked at it doubtfully. “I’ll get you an umbrella, sir,” he said. —
他怀疑地看着。“我去给您拿把伞,先生,”他说。 —

He went away and came back with a big umbrella. “It is a little big, sir,” he said. —
他走开了,回来时拿着一把大伞。“这有点大,先生,”他说。 —

I gave him a ten-lira note. “Oh you are too good, sir. Thank you very much,” he said. —
我递给他一张10里拉的钞票。“您太好了,先生。非常感谢您,”他说。 —

He held the door open and we went out into the rain. He smiled at Catherine and she smiled at him. —
他把门打开,我们走出去迎着雨。他朝凯瑟琳微笑,她也对他微笑。 —

“Don’t stay out in the storm,” he said. “You will get wet, sir and lady.” —
“不要留在暴风雨中,”他说。“先生和夫人会湿透的。” —

He was only the second porter, and his English was still literally translated.
他只是第二个搬运工,他的英语还很生硬。

“We’ll be back,” I said. We walked down the path under the giant umbrella and out through the dark wet gardens to the road and across the road to the trellised pathway along the lake. —
“我们会回来的,”我说。我们在巨大的伞下走下小径,穿过黑暗潮湿的花园,走向马路,穿过马路,沿着湖边的棚架小路走去。 —

The wind was blowing offshore now. It was a cold, wet November wind and I knew it was snowing in the mountains. —
现在风是离岸吹的。这是一股寒冷潮湿的十一月风,我知道山上正在下雪。 —

We came along past the chained boats in the slips along the quay to where the barman’s boat should be. —
我们从码头的停泊区的锁链船只旁边走来,到了酒保的船应该停靠的地方。 —

The water was dark against the stone. The barman stepped out from beside the row of trees.
水在石头上显得很深色。酒保从树丛旁走出来。

“The bags are in the boat,” he said.
“袋子在船里,”他说。

“I want to pay you for the boat,” I said.
“我想付你船的钱,”我说。

“How much money have you?”
“你有多少钱?”

“Not so much.”
“不多。”

“You send me the money later. That will be all right.”
“你之后再把钱给我。这样也行。”

“How much?”
“多少?”

“What you want.”
“你想要多少。”

“Tell me how much.”
“告诉我数目。”

“If you get through send me five hundred francs. You won’t mind that if you get through.”
“如果你通过了,给我五百法郎。如果你通过了,你不会介意的。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Here are sandwiches.” He handed me a package. “Everything there was in the bar. It’s all here. —
“这里有三明治。”他递给我一个包。“这是在酒吧里所有的东西。都在这里。” —

This is a bottle of brandy and a bottle of wine.” —
“这是一瓶白兰地和一瓶葡萄酒。” —

I put them in my bag. “Let me pay you for those.”
我把它们放进我的袋子里。“让我付你这些。”

“All right, give me fifty lire.”
“好的,给我五十里拉。”

I gave itto him. “The brandy is good,” he said. “You don’t need to be afraid to give itto your lady. —
我把钱给了他。“这白兰地不错,”他说。“你可以放心给你女士喝。” —

She better get in the boat.” He held the boat, it rising and falling against the stone wall and I helped Catherine in. —
“她最好上船。” 他握住了船, 它在石墙上起伏,我帮助凯瑟琳上了船。 —

She sat in the stern and pulled her cape around her.
她坐在船尾,拉上斗篷。

“You know where to go?”
“你知道去哪儿吗?”

“Up the lake.”
“顺着湖上游。”

“You know how far?”
“你知道有多远吗?”

“Past Luino.”
“过卢伊诺。”

“Past Luino, Cannero, Cannobio, Tranzano. —
“过卢伊诺,卡内罗,卡诺比奥,特兰扎诺。” —

You aren’t in Switzerland until you come to Brissago. —
“你要到布里萨戈才算到瑞士。” —

You have to pass Monte Tamara.”
“你需要经过塔玛拉山。”

“What time is it?” Catherine asked.
凯瑟琳问:”现在几点了?”

“It’s only eleven o’clock,” I said.
“才十一点,“我说。

“If you row all the time you ought to be there by seven o’clock in the morning.”
“如果你一直划船,早上七点就到了。”

“Is it that far?”
“这么远吗?”

“It’s thirty-five kilometres.”
“是三十五公里。”

“How should we go? In this rain we need a compass.”
“我们该怎么走?在这样的雨天,我们需要一个指南针。”

“No. Row to Isola Bella. Then on the other side of Isola Madre go with the wind. —
“不。划船去伊索拉贝拉。然后在马德雷岛的另一侧顺风而行。” —

The wind will take you to Pallanza. You will see the lights. —
“风会带你到帕朗扎。你会看到灯光。” —

Then go up the shore.”
“然后沿着岸边上去。”

“Maybe the wind will change.”
“也许风会改变方向。”

“No,” he said. “This wind will blow like this for three days. —
“不,”他说。”这风会这样吹三天。 —

It comes straight down from the Mattarone. —
“它直接从马塔罗内吹过来。” —

There is a can to bail with.”
“有个桶可以舀水。”

“Let me pay you something for the boat now.”
“让我现在付你一些船费。”

“No, I’d rather take a chance. If you get through you pay me all you can.”
“不,我宁愿冒个险。如果你成功了,付我你能付的全部。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“I don’t think you’ll get drowned.”
“我觉得你不会淹死。”

“That’s good.”
“那太好了。”

“Go with the wind up the lake.”
“顺着湖面跟风前行。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I stepped in the boat.
我踏入小船。

“Did you leave the money for the hotel?”
“你有没有把酒店的钱留下?”

“Yes. In an envelope in the room.”
“有的。在房间里的一个信封里。”

“All right. Good luck, Tenente.”
“好的。祝你好运,中尉。”

“Good luck. We thank you many times.”
“祝你好运。我们非常感谢你。”

“You won’t thank me if you get drowned.”
“如果你淹死了,就不会感谢我了。”

“What does he say?” Catherine asked.
凯瑟琳问道:“他在说什么?”

“He says good luck.”
“他说祝你好运。”

“Good luck,” Catherine said.
凯瑟琳说:“谢谢你。”

“Thank you very much.”
“非常感谢。”

“Are you ready?”
“你准备好了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

He bent down and shoved us off. I dug at the water with the oars, then waved one hand. —
他弯下身,推开了我们。我用桨刨水,然后挥了一下手。 —

The barman waved back deprecatingly. I saw the lights of the hotel and rowed out, rowing straight out until they were out of sight. —
酒吧老板无奈地挥了挥手。我看到了酒店的灯光,开始划出去,一直划到看不见为止。 —

There was quite a sea running but we were going with the wind.
当时海浪颇大,但我们顺着风行进。