I rowed in the dark keeping the wind in my face. —
在黑暗中划船,让风吹在脸上。 —

The rain had stopped and only came occasionally in gusts. It was very dark, and the wind was cold. —
雨已经停了,只是偶尔有阵风。天很黑,风很冷。 —

I could see Catherine in the stern but I could not see the water where the blades of the oars dipped. —
我能看到凯瑟琳在船尾,但看不到桨在哪里下水。 —

The oars were long and there were no leathers to keep them from slipping out. —
桨很长,没有垫皮防止它们滑出。 —

I pulled, raised, leaned forward, found the water, dipped and pulled, rowing as easily as I could. —
我划、抬、向前倾,找到水,下桨,尽量轻松地划船。 —

I did not feather the oars because the wind was with us. —
我没有将桨提起,因为风顺着我们吹。 —

I knew my hands would blister and I wanted to delay it as long as I could. —
我知道我的手会起水泡,想尽可能推迟。 —

The boat was light and rowed easily. I pulled it along in the dark water. —
船很轻,划起来很轻松。我在黑暗的水中划船。 —

I could not see, and hoped we would soon come opposite Pallanza.
我看不见,希望我们很快会经过帕兰扎。

We never saw Pallanza. The wind was blowing up the lake and we passed the point that hides Pallanza in the dark and never saw the lights. —
我们从未看到帕兰扎。风往上吹着湖面,我们越过了隐藏帕兰扎的角,但从未看到灯光。 —

When we finally saw some lights much further up the lake and close to the shore it was Intra. But for a long time we did not see any lights, nor did we see the shore but rowed steadily in the dark riding with the waves. —
当我们最终在湖上更远处看到一些灯光,并且靠近岸边时,那是因特拉。但很长一段时间我们都没有看到灯光,也没有看到岸边,只是在黑暗中稳定地划着顺着波浪。 —

Sometimes I missed the water with the oars in the dark as a wave lifted the boat. —
有时候在黑暗中,我会因为波浪抬高船身而错过水。 —

It was quite rough; but I kept on rowing, until suddenly we were close ashore against a point of rock that rose beside us; —
海面很不平静;但我继续划着,直到突然我们又到了一块岩石的旁边靠岸处; —

the waves striking against it, rushing high up, then falling back. —
波浪打在岩石上,冲得很高,然后又落下。 —

I pulled hard on the right oar and backed water with the other and we went out into the lake again; —
我用右桨使劲,另一只桨划后退,我们又出去到湖中; —

the point was out of sight and we were going on up the lake.
这个地方已经看不见了,我们一直向上游走。

“We’re across the lake,” I said to Catherine.
“我们已经渡过湖了,”我对凯瑟琳说。

“Weren’t we going to see Pallanza?”
“我们不是要去看帕兰扎吗?”

“We’ve missed it.”
“我们错过了。”

“How are you, darling?”
“亲爱的,你好吗?”

“I’m fine.”
“我很好。”

“I could take the oars awhile.”
“我可以换你划一会儿桨。”

“No, I’m fine.”
“不,我可以。”

“Poor Ferguson,” Catherine said. “In the morning she’ll come to the hotel and find we’re gone.”
“可怜的弗格森,”凯瑟琳说。“明天早上她会来到旅馆,发现我们走了。”

“I’m not worrying so much about that,” I said, “as about getting into the Swiss part of the lake before it’s daylight and the custom guards see us.”
“我不太担心那个,”我说,“我更担心在天亮之前进入瑞士部分湖区,被海关看到。”

“Is it a long way?”
“这是很远的路吗?”

“It’s some thirty kilometres from here.”
“距离这里大约三十公里。”

I rowed all night. Finally my hands were so sore I could hardly close them over the oars. —
我划了一整夜。最后我的手因过于疼痛几乎无法紧握桨手。 —

We were nearly smashed up on the shore several times. —
我们几乎被冲上岸好几次。 —

I kept fairly close to the shore because I was afraid of getting lost on the lake and losing time. —
我一直靠近岸边,因为我害怕在湖上迷路,耽误时间。 —

Sometimes we were so close we could see a row of trees and the road along the shore with the mountains behind. —
有时候我们离得如此之近,我们可以看到一排树木,沿着岸边的道路,背后是连绵的山脉。 —

The rain stopped and the wind drove the clouds so that the moon shone through and looking back I could see the long dark point of Castagnola and the lake with white-caps and beyond, the moon on the high snow mountains. —
雨停了,风吹动云彩,月光透过云层,回望时我看到了长长的卡斯塔涅拉角和湖面上掀起的白浪,远处是月光照在高耸的雪山上。 —

Then the clouds came over the moon again and the mountains and the lake were gone, but it was much lighter than it had been before and we could see the shore. —
随后云又遮住了月亮,山峦和湖面消失了,但比之前明亮多了,我们可以看到岸边。 —

I could see it too clearly and pulled out where they would not see the boat if there were custom guards along the Pallanza road. —
我看得太清楚了,拖着船开到他们看不见,倘若Pallanza路上有海关的话。 —

When the moon came out again we could see white villas on the shore on the slopes of the mountain and thewhite road where it showed through the trees. —
月光再次出现,我们可以看到山坡上岸边的白色别墅和透过树木映出的白色道路。 —

All the time I was rowing.
我一直在划船。

The lake widened and across it on the shore at the foot of the mountains on the other side we saw a few lights that should be Luino. I saw a wedgelike gap between the mountains on the other shore and I thought that must be Luino. If it was we were making good time. —
湖面变宽了,在对岸山脚下我们看到了几盏灯,那应该是鲁伊诺。我看到对岸山间有一个楔形的缺口,那一定是鲁伊诺。如果真是那里,我们划得很快。 —

I pulled in the oars and lay back on the seat. I was very, very tired of rowing. —
我收进桨,靠在座位上。我真的非常累,划船累坏了。 —

My arms and shoulders and back ached and my hands were sore.
我的胳膊、肩膀、背都疼,手也痛了。

“I could hold the umbrella,” Catherine said. “We could sail with that with the wind.”
“我来拿伞吧,” 凯瑟琳说。”我们可以用它顶着风,让船帆航行。”

“Can you steer?”
“你能操舵吗?”

“I think so.”
“我想我能。”

“You take this oar and hold it under your arm close to the side of the boat and steer and I’ll hold the umbrella.” —
“你拿这根桨,靠在船的一侧夹住,然后掌舵,我来拿伞。” —

I went back to the stern and showed her how to hold the oar. —
我进到船尾,介绍给她如何握桨。 —

I took the big umbrella the porter had given me and sat facing the bow and opened it. —
我拿着行李员给我的大伞,面朝船头坐下打开了它。 —

It opened with a clap. I held it on both sides, sitting astride the handle hooked over the seat. —
它突然打开了。我一手握住每边,跨坐在挂在座位上的把手上。 —

The wind was full in it and I felt the boat suck forward while I held as hard as I could to the two edges. —
风顶满了它,我感觉船被吸向前,我尽力抓住两边。 —

It pulled hard. The boat was moving fast.
它用力拉扯。船很快地移动着。

“We’re going beautifully,” Catherine said. All I could see was umbrella ribs. —
“我们划得很漂亮,”凯瑟琳说。我只能看到伞骨。 —

The umbrella strained and pulled and I felt us driving along with it. —
伞紧绷着,一边扯,我感觉我们随着它一起前进。 —

I braced my feet and held back on it, then suddenly, it buckled; —
我撑紧脚,用力向后拉,突然,它折断了; —

I felt a rib snap on my forehead, I tried to grab the top that was bending with the wind and the whole thing buckled and went inside out and I was astride the handle of an inside-out, ripped umbrella, where I had been holding a wind-filled pulling sail. —
我感觉头顶上一根伞骨断了,我试图抓住顶端,但整个伞反转了,我跨坐在一个里面翻转、被撕裂的伞的把手上,我原本以为那是帆。 —

I unhooked the handle from the seat, laid the umbrella in the bow and went back to Catherine for the oar. —
我把把手从座位上解开,把伞放在船头,然后回去找凯瑟琳要桨。 —

She was laughing. She took my hand and kept on laughing.
她笑了。她握住我的手仍在笑。

“What’s the matter?” I took the oar.
“怎么了?”我拿起桨。

“You looked so funny holding that thing.”
“你拿着那个东西看起来太搞笑了。”

“I suppose so.”
“可能吧。”

“Don’t be cross, darling. It was awfully funny. —
“别生气,亲爱的。真是太好笑了。” —

You looked about twenty feet broad and very affectionate holding the umbrella by the edges–” she choked.
“你看起来宽了大约二十英尺,还非常亲切地从边缘抓住伞——”她笑得停不下来。

“I’ll row.”
“那我来划船吧。”

“Take a rest and a drink. It’s a grand night and we’ve come a long way.”
“休息一下,来喝一杯。今晚很美好,我们已经走了很远。”

“I have to keep the boat out of the trough of the waves.”
“我必须让船远离波谷。”

“I’ll get you a drink. Then rest a little while, darling.”
“我给你拿杯饮料。然后休息一会儿,亲爱的。”

I held the oars up and we sailed with them. Catherine was opening the bag. —
我举起桨,并且我们靠着桨向前航行。凯瑟琳正在打开包。 —

She handed me the brandy bottle. I pulled the cork with my pocket-knife and took a long drink. —
她递给我白兰地瓶。我用口袋刀拔开瓶塞,喝了一大口。 —

It was smooth and hot and the heat went all through me and I felt warmed and cheerful. —
“这白兰地口感很顺滑和热,热量贯穿全身,我感到暖和和欢乐。” —

“It’s lovely brandy,” I said. The moon was under again but I could see the shore. —
“这酒真是美味,”我说。月亮再次隐没,但我能看见岸边。 —

There seemed to be another point going out a long way ahead into the lake.
前方似乎有另一个延伸进湖里很长一段的尖端。

“Are you warm enough, Cat?”
“你够暖和吗,凯特?”

“I’m splendid. I’m a little stiff.”
“我很棒,只是有点僵硬。”

“Bail out that water and you can put your feet down.”
“把水舀出来,你就能把脚放下了。”

Then I rowed and listened to the oarlocks and the dip and scrape of the bailing tin under the stern seat.
然后我划船,聆听着桨耳和船尾座位下的捞水罐的浸入和刮擦声。

“Would you give me the bailer?” I said. “I want a drink.”
“你给我一下捞水罐吧?”我说。“我想喝口水。”

“It’s awful dirty.”
“太脏了。”

“That’s all right. I’ll rinse it.”
“没关系。我会冲洗的。”

I heard Catherine rinsing it over the side. Then she handed it to me dipped full of water. —
我听见凯瑟琳在倒水。然后她递给我一个沾满水的锡桶。 —

I was thirsty after the brandy and the water was icy cold, so cold it made my teeth ache. —
喝完白兰地后我感到口渴,水又冰冷,让我牙齿都疼了。 —

I looked toward the shore. We were closer to the long point. There were lights in the bay ahead.
我看向岸边。我们已经离长岬更近了。前方的湾区有灯光。

“Thanks,” I said and handed back the tin pail.
“谢谢,”我说着,把锡桶递了回去。

“You’re ever so welcome,” Catherine said. “There’s much more if you want it.”
“不客气,”凯瑟琳说,“还有很多,你要吗?”

“Don’t you want to eat something?”
“你不想吃点东西吗?”

“No. I’ll be hungry in a little while. We’ll save it till then.”
“不,我一会儿就会饿。我们留着到那时候。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

What looked like a point ahead was a long high headland. I went further out in the lake to pass it. —
前方看起来像个岬角,其实是一个高高的海岬。我把船开到湖中去了,绕过它。 —

The lake was much narrower now. The moon was out again and the guardia di finanza could have seen our boat black on the water if they had been watching.
湖面变窄了。月亮再次升起,如果卫兵在看的话,他们就能看到我们的船在黑黑的水面上。

“How are you, Cat?” I asked.
“你还好吗,凯特?”

“I’m all right. Where are we?”
“我还好。我们在哪儿?”

“I don’t think we have more than about eight miles more.”
“我觉得我们还有不到八英里的路。”

“That’s a long way to row, you poor sweet. Aren’t you dead?”
“划八英里真长啊,你这可怜的宝贝。不是筋疲力尽了吗?”

“No. I’m all right. My hands are sore is all.”
“没有。我还好。只是手有点疼。”

We went on up the lake. There was a break in the mountains on the right bank, a flattening-out with a low shore line that I thought must be Cannobio. —
我们继续顺着湖面前行。右岸山脉出现了一个间断,一片变平的地带,低低的岸线让我觉得那一定是坎诺比奥。 —

I stayed a long way out because it was from now on that we ran the most danger of meeting guardia. —
我保持了一段距离,因为从现在开始我们会遇到最危险的情况,可能会遇到警卫队。 —

There was a high dome-capped mountain on the other shore a way ahead. I was tired. —
前方对岸有一座高顶圆顶的山,山顶遥远。我有些累了。 —

It was no great distance to row but when you were out of condition it had been a long way. —
划过去的距离并不远,但当你不适应的时候,会感觉很长。 —

I knew I had to pass that mountain and go up the lake at least five miles further before we would be in Swiss water. —
我知道必须经过那座山,再往上行驶湖面至少还有五英里才能进入瑞士水域。 —

The moon was almost down now but before it went down the sky clouded over again and it was very dark. —
月亮现在快要落下了,但在它落下之前,天空再次被云彩遮住,非常黑暗。 —

I stayed well out in the lake, rowing awhile, then resting and holding the oars so that the wind struck the blades.
我守在湖面深处,划了一会儿,然后休息着,抓住浆。

“Let me row awhile,” Catherine said.
“让我划一会儿吧,”凯瑟琳说。

“I don’t think you ought to.”
“我认为你不应该。”

“Nonsense. It would be good for me. It would keep me from being too stiff.”
“胡说。这对我很有好处。这会让我不至于太僵硬。”

“I don’t think you should, Cat.”
“我认为你不该,凯瑟琳。”

“Nonsense. Rowing in moderation is very good for the pregnant lady.”
“胡说。适度划船对孕妇很有好处。”

“All right, you row a little moderately. I’ll go back, then you come up. —
“好吧,你适度划一下。我会回到船尾,然后你上来。” —

Hold on to both gunwales when you come up.”
“当你上来时抓住两边的舷壁。”

I sat in the stern with my coat on and the collar turned up and watched Catherine row. —
我坐在船尾,穿着大衣,翻着帽领,看着凯瑟琳划船。 —

She rowed very well but the oars were too long and bothered her. —
她划得很好,但桨太长了,让她感到不舒服。 —

I opened the bag and ate a couple of sandwiches and took a drink of the brandy. —
我打开袋子,吃了几块三明治,喝了一口白兰地。 —

It made everything much better and I took another drink.
这让一切都变得更好了,我又喝了一口。

“Tell me when you’re tired,” I said. Then a little later, “Watch out the oar doesn’t pop you in the tummy.”
“累了告诉我,”我说。过了一会儿,“小心桨不要敲到你的肚子。”

“If it did”–Catherine said between strokes–“life might be much simpler.”
“如果那样的话”–凯瑟琳一边划桨一边说–“生活可能会简单得多。”

I took another drink of the brandy.
我又喝了一口白兰地。

“How are you going?”
“你还好吗?”

“All right.”
“还好。”

“Tell me when you want to stop.”
“觉得累了告诉我。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I took another drink of the brandy, then took hold of the two gunwales of the boat and moved forward.
我再喝了一口白兰地,然后抓住船的两边,并往前移动。

“No. I’m going beautifully.”
“不,我划得很顺利。”

“Go on back to the stern. I’ve had a grand rest.”
“回去船尾吧,我已经好好休息了。”

For a while, with the brandy, I rowed easily and steadily. —
有了白兰地,我一度轻松地、稳稳地划着。 —

Then I began to catch crabs and soon I was just chopping along again with a thin brown taste of bile from having rowed too hard after the brandy.
然后我开始划虾,很快我又开始剁着划,喉咙里留着一种淡淡的苦味,因为喝了白兰地后过于刻苦划桨。

“Give me a drink of water, will you?” I said.
“给我喝点水,好吗?”我说。

“That’s easy,” Catherine said.
“那很容易,”凯瑟琳说。

Before daylight it started to drizzle. The wind was down or we were protected by mountains that bounded the curve the lake had made. —
天亮之前开始下毛毛雨。要么是因为风停了,要么是因为我们被围绕湖的山脉保护着。 —

When I knew daylight was coming I settled down and rowed hard. —
当我知道天快亮时,我停下来拼命地划船。 —

I did not know where we were and I wanted to get into the Swiss part of the lake. —
我不知道我们在哪里,我想进入湖的瑞士部分。 —

When it was beginning to be daylight we were quite close to the shore. —
天开始亮了,我们离岸很近了。 —

I could see the rocky shore and the trees.
我看到了岩石的岸边和树木。

“What’s that?” Catherine said. I rested on the oars and listened. —
“那是什么?”凯瑟琳说,我休息在桨上,聆听着。 —

It was a motor boat chugging out on the lake. I pulled close up to the shore and lay quiet. —
一艘摩托艇在湖面上轰鸣而过。我把船靠近岸边,保持安静。 —

The chugging came closer; then we saw the motor boat in the rain a little astern of us. —
轰鸣声越来越近;然后我们看到摩托艇在雨中稍微落后于我们。 —

There were four guardia di finanza in the stern, their alpini hats pulled down, their cape collars turned up and their carbines slung across their backs. —
艇尾有四名财政警卫,他们的阿尔卑斯山帽拉得很低,披风翻起,卡宾枪斜挎在背上。 —

They all looked sleepy so early in the morning. —
他们在清晨如此困倦。 —

I could see the yellow on their hats and the yellow marks on their cape collars. The motor boat chugged on and out of sight in the rain.
我看到他们帽子上的黄色标志和披风领口上的黄色标记。摩托艇继续轰鸣,渐行渐远,消失在雨中。

I pulled out into the lake. If we were that close to the border I did not want to be hailed by a sentry along the road. —
我划到湖中央。如果我们离边界那么近,我不想被路边哨兵拦住。 —

I stayed out where I could just see the shore and rowed on for three quarters of an hour in the rain. —
我留在湖心,可以看到岸边,在雨中继续划行了三刻钟。 —

We heard a motor boat once more but I kept quiet until the noise of the engine went away across the lake.
我们听到了一次摩托艇的声音,但我保持安静,直到引擎的噪音渐渐随着湖水的对面远去。

“I think we’re in Switzerland, Cat,” I said.
“我觉得我们在瑞士,凯特,”我说。

“Really?”
“真的?”

“There’s no way to know until we see Swiss troops.”
“除非我们看到瑞士军队,否则没法确定。”

“Or the Swiss navy.”
“或者瑞士海军。”

“The Swiss navy’s no joke for us. That last motor boat we heard was probably the Swiss navy.”
“对我们来说,瑞士海军可不是开玩笑的。我们听到的最后一次摩托艇很可能是瑞士海军。”

“If we’re in Switzerland let’s have a big breakfast. —
“如果我们在瑞士,那我们来个丰盛的早餐吧。” —

They have wonderful rolls and butter and jam in Switzerland.”
“瑞士的面包和黄油果酱很美味。”

It was clear daylight now and a fine rain was falling. —
现在已经是明朗的白昼,细雨纷飞。 —

The wind was still blowing outside up the lake and we could see the tops of the white-caps going away from us and up the lake. —
湖外的风仍在吹拂,我们可以看到白浪的浪尖在我们身后向上湖方向飘逸。 —

I was sure we were in Switzerland now. There were many houses back in the trees from the shore and up the shore a way was a village with stone houses, some villas on the hills and a church. —
我现在确定我们在瑞士了。湖岸后面树木丛生有很多房屋,在岸边稍远的地方是一个石头房子组成的村庄,一些别墅坐落在山丘上,还有一座教堂。 —

I had been looking at the road that skirted the shore for guards but did not see any. —
我一直盯着紧贴湖岸的道路寻找守卫,但并没有看到。 —

The road came quite close to the lake now and I saw a soldier coming out of a caf?on the road. —
道路现在离湖非常近,我看到一个士兵从路边的咖啡馆出来。 —

He wore a gray-green uniform and a helmet like the Germans. —
他穿着一身灰绿色制服,头戴类似德国人的头盔。 —

He had a healthy-looking face and a little toothbrush mustache. He looked at us.
他脸色红润,留着小小的牙刷胡。他看着我们。

“Wave to him,” I said to Catherine. She waved and the soldier smiled embarrassedly and gave a wave of his hand. —
“向他挥手,”我对凯瑟琳说。她挥了挥手,那名士兵尴尬地微笑着也挥了挥手。 —

I eased up rowing. We were passing the waterfront of the village.
我放轻了划桨的力道。我们正经过村庄的水边。

“We must be well inside the border,” I said.
“我们一定已经深入边境了,”我说。

“We want to be sure, darling. We don’t want them to turn us back at the frontier.”
“我们要确认一下,亲爱的。我们不希望在边境被驱逐回去。”

“The frontier is a long way back. I think this is the customs town. I’m pretty sure it’s Brissago.”
“边境很远。我想这里是个海关镇。我相当确定是布里萨戈。”

“Won’t there be Italians there? There are always both sides at a customs town.”
“但是那里会有意大利人吗?海关镇通常会两边都有人。”

“Not in war-time. I don’t think they let the Italians cross the frontier.”
“在战时不会有意大利人。我想他们不会让意大利人过边境。”

It was a nice-looking little town. There were many fishing boats along the quay and nets were spread on racks. —
那是一个漂亮的小镇。码头上停着许多渔船,晒着渔网的架子也很多。 —

There was a fine November rain falling but it looked cheerful and clean even with the rain.
十一月份的细雨下得很舒服,即使在雨中看起来也很干净和明亮。

“Should we land then and have breakfast?”
“那么我们应该下岸吃早饭吗?”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I pulled hard on the left oar and came in close, then straightened out when we were close to the quay and brought the boat alongside. —
我猛地拉起左桨,使船靠近,然后在靠近码头时调整了方向,把船靠岸。 —

I pulled in the oars, took hold of an iron ring, stepped up on the wet stone and was in Switzerland. —
我收起桨,抓住一个铁环,踩在湿漉漉的石头上,就置身瑞士了。 —

I tied the boat and held my hand down to Catherine.
我把船系好,伸手给凯瑟琳。

“Come on up, Cat. It’s a grand feeling.”
“上来吧,凯特。这感觉太棒了。”

“What about the bags?”
“袋子呢?”

“Leave them in the boat.”
“留在船上。”

Catherine stepped up and we were in Switzerland together.
凯瑟琳跟了上来,我们一起来到了瑞士。

“What a lovely country,” she said.
“多么美丽的国家啊,”她说。

“Isn’t it grand?”
“是不是很棒?”

“Let’s go and have breakfast!”
“让我们去吃早餐吧!”

“Isn’t it a grand country? I love the way it feels under my shoes.”
“这不是一个了不起的国家吗?我喜欢脚底感受到的感觉。”

“I’m so stiff I can’t feel it very well. But it feels like a splendid country. —
“我太僵硬了,感觉不太明显。但感觉像是一个绝妙的国家。” —

Darling, do you realize we’re here and out of that bloody place?”
“亲爱的,你意识到我们已经在这里,离开那个可恶的地方了吗?”

“I do. I really do. I’ve never realized anything before.”
“我是的,我真的是。我之前从未意识到过任何事情。”

“Look at the houses. Isn’t this a fine square? There’s a place we can get breakfast.”
“看这些房子。这是一个不错的广场吧?有个地方可以吃早餐。”

“Isn’t the rain fine? They never had rain like this in Italy. It’s cheerful rain.”
“雨是不是挺好的?意大利从来没有这样的雨。这是令人愉快的雨。”

“And we’re here, darling! Do you realize we’re here?”
“亲爱的,我们在这里!你意识到我们已经在这里了吗?”

We went inside the caf?and sat down at a clean wooden table. We were cockeyed excited. —
我们走进咖啡馆,在一张干净的木桌子上坐下。我们兴奋地要命。 —

A splendid clean-looking woman with an apron came and asked us what we wanted.
一位穿着整洁围裙的漂亮女士过来问我们要点什么。

“Rolls and jam and coffee,” Catherine said.
“面包卷、果酱和咖啡,”凯瑟琳说。

“I’m sorry, we haven’t any rolls in war-time.”
“对不起,在战时我们没有面包卷。”

“Bread then.”
“那就面包吧。”

“I can make you some toast.”
“我可以给你做一些土司。”

“All right.”
“好吧。”

“I want some eggs fried too.”
“我也想要一些煎蛋。”

“How many eggs for the gentleman?”
“先生要几个鸡蛋?”

“Three.”
“三个。”

“Take four, darling.”
“拿四个,亲爱的。”

“Four eggs.”
“四个鸡蛋。”

The woman went away. I kissed Catherine and held her hand very tight. —
那位女士走开了。我吻了凯瑟琳,紧握着她的手。 —

We looked at each other and at the caf?
我们互相看着对方,看着咖啡馆。

“Darling, darling, isn’t it lovely?”
“亲爱的,亲爱的,是不是很美好?”

“It’s grand,” I said.
“太棒了”,我说。

“I don’t mind there not being rolls,” Catherine said. —
“没有面包卷我也不在乎”,凯瑟琳说。 —

“I thought about them all night. But I don’t mind it. —
“我整晚都想着他们。但我不介意。” —

I don’t mind it at all.”
“我一点都不介意。”

“I suppose pretty soon they will arrest us.”
“我想很快他们会逮捕我们。”

“Never mind, darling. We’ll have breakfast first. You won’t mind being arrested after breakfast. —
“亲爱的,别担心。我们先吃早餐。早餐后再被逮捕你也不会介意。” —

And then there’s nothing they can do to us. —
“然后他们就无能为力了。” —

We’re British and American citizens in good standing.”
“我们是名誉良好的英国和美国公民。”

“You have a passport, haven’t you?”
“你有护照,对吧?”

“Of course. Oh let’s not talk about it. Let’s be happy.”
“当然有。噢,别谈这个了。让我们快乐点。”

“I couldn’t be any happiei” I said. A fat gray cat with a tail that lifted like a plume crossed the floor to our table and curved against my leg to purr each time she rubbed. —
“我再开心不过了,”我说。一只肥胖的灰色猫,尾巴像燕尾羽毛一样翘起,穿过地板来到我们的桌子旁,每次擦过我的腿时就开始咕噜地喵喵叫。 —

I reached down and stroked her. Catherine smiled at me very happily. —
我弯下身子抚摸它。凯瑟琳对我笑得很开心。 —

“Here comes the coffee,” she said.
“咖啡来了,”她说。

They arrested us after breakfast. We took a little walk through the village then went down to the quay to get our bags. —
我们吃过早饭之后被逮捕了。我们在村子里散了一会儿步,然后下到码头去拿我们的行李。 —

A soldier was standing guard over the boat.
一名士兵站在船边站岗。

“Is this your boat?”
“这是你们的船吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Where do you come from?”
“你是从哪里来的?”

“Up the lake.”
“顺着湖而上。”

“Then I have to ask you to come with me.”
“那我得请你跟我来。”

“How about the bags?”
“行李呢?”

“You can carry the bags.”
“你可以搬着行李。”

I carried the bags and Catherine walked beside me and the soldier walked along behind us to the old custom house. —
我搬着行李,凯瑟琳走在我旁边,士兵跟着我们往旧海关走去。 —

In the custom house a lieutenant, very thin and military, questioned us.
在海关里,一名瘦削的中尉开始盘问我们。

“What nationality are you?”
“你们是什么国籍?”

“American and British.”
“美国和英国。”

“Let me see your passports.”
“让我看看你们的护照。”

I gave him mine and Catherine got hers out of her handbag.
我递给他我的护照,凯瑟琳从手袋里拿出她的护照。

He examined them for a long time.
他长时间地检查着它们。

“Why do you enter Switzerland this way in a boat?”
“为什么你们坐船这样入境瑞士?”

“I am a sportsman,” I said. “Rowing is my great sport. I always row when I get a chance.”
“我是一个运动爱好者,”我说,“划船是我的最爱。我一有机会就划船。”

“Why do you come here?”
“你们为什么来这里?”

“For the winter sport. We are tourists and we want to do the winter sport.”
“为了冬季运动。我们是游客,想要进行冬季运动。”

“This is no place for winter sport.”
“这里不适合进行冬季运动。”

“We know it. We want to go where they have the winter sport.”
“我们知道。我们想去有冬季运动的地方。”

“What have you been doing in Italy?”
“你在意大利做什么?”

“I have been studying architecture. My cousin has been studying art.”
“我在学习建筑。我表弟在学习艺术。”

“Why do you leave there?”
“为什么要离开那里?”

“We want to do the winter sport. With the war going on you cannot study architecture.”
“我们想要进行冬季运动。战争正在进行中,你无法继续学习建筑。”

“You will please stay where you are,” the lieutenant said. —
“请留在原地,”中尉说。 —

He went back into the building with our passports.
他拿着我们的护照回到了建筑里。

“You’re splendid, darling,” Catherine said. —
“你太棒了,亲爱的。” 凯瑟琳说。 —

“Keep on the same track. You want to do the winter sport.”
“坚持原计划。你想要进行冬季运动。”

“Do you know anything about art?”
“你对艺术了解吗?”

“Rubens,” said Catherine.
“鲁本斯,” 凯瑟琳说。

“Large and fat,” I said.
“高大而丰满,”我说。

“Titian,” Catherine said.
“提香,”凯瑟琳说。

“Titian-haired,” I said. “How about Mantegna?”
“我说,‘Titian-haired.’ 勉强提一下曼泰尼亚?”

“Don’t ask hard ones,” Catherine said. “I know him though– very bitter.”
“别问这么难的,”凯瑟琳说。“我虽然知道他– 他很犀利。”

“Very bitter,” I said. “Lots of nail holes.”
“很犀利,”我说。“布满钉孔。”

“You see I’ll make you a fine wife,” Catherine said. “I’ll be able to talk art with your customers.”
“你看我会做个好妻子的,”凯瑟琳说。“我可以和你的顾客们谈论艺术。”

“Here he comes,” I said. The thin lieutenant came down the length of the custom house, holding our passports.
“他来了,”我说。那位瘦削的中尉走过海关的整个长度,手里拿着我们的护照。

“I will have to send you into Locarno,” he said. —
“我得把你们送进洛迦尔诺,”他说。 —

“You can get a carriage and a soldier will go in with you.”
“你们可以租一辆马车,会有一名士兵和你们一起进去。”

“All right,” I said. “What about the boat?”
“好的,”我说。“船怎么样?”

“The boat is confiscated. What have you in those bags?”
“被没收了。你们袋子里有什么?”

He went all through the two bags and held up the quarterbottle of brandy. —
他仔细检查了两个包,拿起那瓶白兰地。 —

“Would you join me in a drink?” I asked.
“你愿意和我一起喝一杯吗?”我问。

“No thank you.” He straightened up. “How much money have you?”
“不,谢谢。”他挺直了身子。“你们身上有多少钱?”

“Twenty-five hundred lire.”
“两千五百里拉。”

He was favorably impressed. “How much has your cousin?”
他印象不错。“你堂妹有多少呢?”

Catherine had a little over twelve hundred lire. —
凯瑟琳有一千二百多里拉。 —

The lieutenant was pleased. His attitude toward us became less haughty.
中尉感到高兴。他对我们的态度变得不那么傲慢了。

“If you are going for winter sports,” he said, “Wengen is the place. —
“如果你要去玩冬季运动,”他说,”温根是个好地方。” —

My father has a very fine hotel at Wengen. —
“我父亲在温根有一家非常好的酒店。” —

It is open all the time.”
“它一直开放着。”

“That’s splendid,” I said. “Could you give me the name?”
“太棒了,”我说。”你能告诉我名字吗?”

“I will write it on a card.” He handed me the card very politely.
“我会把名字写在卡片上。”他非常礼貌地递给我卡片。

“The soldier will take you into Locarno. He will keep your passports. —
“士兵会带你去洛卡尔诺。他会保管你们的护照。” —

I regret this but it is necessary. I have good hopes they will give you a visa or a police permit at Locarno.”
“我很抱歉,但这是必要的。我希望他们会在洛卡尔诺给你们签证或警察许可证。”

He handed the two passports to the soldier and carrying the bags we started into the village to order a carriage. —
他把两本护照交给了士兵,我们提着行李进村庄订马车。 —

“Hi,” the lieutenant called to the soldier. —
“嗨,”中尉对士兵喊道。 —

He said something in a German dialect to him. —
他用德语方言对士兵说了些什么。 —

The soldier slung his rifle on his back and picked up the bags.
士兵把步枪背在背上,拿起行李。

“It’s a great country,” I said to Catherine.
“这是一个很棒的国家,”我对凯瑟琳说。

“It’s so practical.”
“这么实用。”

“Thank you very much,” I said to the lieutenant. He waved his hand.
“非常感谢您,”我对中尉说。他挥了挥手。

“Service!” he said. We followed our guard into the village.
“服务!”他说。我们跟随着我们的警卫进入了村庄。

We drove to Locarno in a carriage with the soldier sitting on the front seat with the driver. —
我们坐着马车去了洛迦尔诺,士兵坐在前座和驾驶员一起。 —

At Locarno we did not have a bad time. They questioned us but they were polite because we had passports and money. —
在洛迦尔诺,我们过得并不糟糕。他们审问我们,但他们很礼貌,因为我们有护照和钱。 —

I do not think they believed a word of the story and I thought it was silly but it was like a law-court. —
我认为他们根本不信我们说的任何话,我认为这很荒谬,但这就像在法庭上一样。 —

You did not want something reasonable, you wanted something technical and then stuck to it without explanations. —
你根本不想要合理的东西,你想要技术性的东西,然后就坚持不解释。 —

But we had passports and we would spend the money. —
但我们有护照,我们会花钱。 —

So they gave us provisional visas.
所以他们给了我们临时签证。

At any time this visa might be withdrawn. We were to report to the police wherever we went.
随时可能被收回这个签证。我们无论去哪里都要报告警察。

Could we go wherever we wanted? Yes. Where did we want to go?
我们可以去任何地方吗?可以。你想去哪里?

“Where do you want to go, Cat?”
“你想去哪里,猫?”

“Montreux.”
“蒙特勒。”

“It is a very nice place,” the official said. “I think you will like that place.”
“那是一个非常好的地方,”官员说。“我想你会喜欢那个地方。”

“Here at Locarno is a very nice place,” another official said. —
“在洛迦尔诺这里是一个非常好的地方,”另一位官员说。 —

“I am sure you would like it here very much at Locarno. —
“我确信你会非常喜欢这里的洛迦尔诺。 —

Locarno is a very attractive place.”
洛迦尔诺是一个非常吸引人的地方。”

“We would like some place where there is winter sport.”
“我们想要一些有冬季运动的地方。”

“There is no winter sport at Montreux.”
“蒙特勒没有冬季运动。”

“I beg your pardon,” the other official said. “I come from Montreux. —
“请您谅解,”另一位官员说道。“我来自蒙特勒。” —

There is very certainly winter sport on the Montreux Oberland Bernois railway. —
“蒙特勒上有布尔莱南铁路肯定有冬季运动。” —

It would be false for you to deny
“你否认那一点是错误的。”

that.”
“那个.”

“I do not deny it. I simply said there is no winter sport at Montreux.”
“我不否认。我只是说蒙特勒没有冬季运动。”

“I question that,” the other official said. “I question that statement.”
“我对那个说法表示怀疑。”另一位官员说道。“我对那个说法怀疑。”

“I hold to that statement.”
“我坚持这个说法。”

“I question that statement. I myself have luge-ed into the streets of Montreux. —
“我对那个说法表示怀疑。我亲自在蒙特勒的街道上滑雪橇过。” —

I have done it not once but several times. —
“我不仅仅一次,而是多次这样做过。” —

Luge-ing is certainly winter sport.”
“滑雪橇肯定是一种冬季运动。”

The other official turned to me.
另一位官员转向我。

“Is luge-ing your idea of winter sport, sir? —
“滑雪橇是您认为的冬季运动吗,先生? —

I tell you you would be very comfortable here in Locarno. —
我告诉您,您在洛迦诺会感觉非常舒适。” —

You would find the climate healthy, you would find the environs attractive. —
您会发现气候宜人,环境优美。 —

You would like it very much.”
您会非常喜欢。

“The gentleman has expressed a wish to go to Montreux.”
“先生表示想去蒙特勒。”

“What is luge-ing?” I asked.
“什么是雪车?”我问道。

“You see he has never even heard of luge-ing!”
“你看,他甚至从未听说过雪车!”

That meant a great deal to the second official. He was pleased by that.
这对第二位官员意义重大。他对此感到高兴。

“Luge-ing,” said the first official, “is tobogganing.”
“雪车,”第一官员说,“是乘雪橇。”

“I beg to differ,” the other official shook his head. “I must differ again. —
“我不同意,”另一位官员摇了摇头,“我必须再次提出异议。 —

The toboggan is very different from the luge. —
“雪橇与雪车非常不同。 —

The toboggan is constructed in Canada of flat laths. —
“雪橇是用平板制成的,出产于加拿大。 —

The luge is a common sled with runners. Accuracy means something.”
“雪车是带有滑雪板的常见雪橇。精确度很重要。”

“Couldn’t we toboggan?” I asked.
“我们不能乘雪橇吗?”我问道。

“Of course you could toboggan,” the first official said. “You could toboggan very well. —
“当然可以乘雪橇,”第一位官员说。“你可以非常出色地乘雪橇。 —

Excellent Canadian toboggans are sold in Montreux. —
奥斯兄弟出售雪橇。他们自己进口雪橇。” —

Ochs Brothers sell toboggans. They import their own toboggans.”
优秀的加拿大雪橇在蒙特勒有售。

The second official turned away. “Tobogganing,” he said, “requires a special piste. —
第二位官员转身走开。”乘雪橇”他说 “需要一个特殊的雪道。 —

You could not toboggan into the streets of Montreux. —
你不能在蒙特勒街头乘雪橇。 —

Where are you stopping here?”
你要在这里停下吗?”

“We don’t know,” I said. “We just drove in from Brissago. The carriage is outside.”
“我们不知道,“我说。”我们刚刚从布里萨戈开车过来。马车停在外面。

“You make no mistake in going to Montreux,” the first official said. —
“选择去蒙特勒是明智的,“第一位官员说。 —

“You will find the climate delightful and beautiful. —
“您会发现气候宜人而美丽。 —

You will have no distance to go for winter sport.”
您不需要走多远就能享受冬季运动。

“If you really want winter sport,” the second official said, “you will go to the Engadine or to M黵ren. —
“如果您真的想要冬季运动,“第二位官员说 “您应该去恩加丁或默倫。 —

I must protest against your being advised to go to Montreux for the winter sport.”
我必须反对建议您去蒙特勒进行冬季运动。

“At Les Avants above Montreux there is excellent winter sport of every sort.” The champion of Montreux glared at his colleague.
“在蒙特勒上方的莱萨瓦有各种优质的冬季运动。”蒙特勒的倡导者瞪着他的同事。

“Gentlemen,” I said, “I am afraid we must go. —
“先生们,“我说 “我怕我们必须离开。 —

My cousin is very tired. We will go tentatively to Montreux.”
我表姐很累。我们将试着去蒙特勒。

“I congratulate you,” the first official shook my hand.
“我祝贺您,“第一位官员握着我的手。

“I believe that you will regret leaving Locarno,” the second official said. —
“我相信您会后悔离开洛迦诺,“第二位官员说。 —

“At any rate you will report to the police at Montreux.”
“无论如何您都要向蒙特勒警察报到。”

“There will be no unpleasantness with the police,” the first official assured me. —
“警察不会给我们制造不快的事情,”第一个官员向我保证道。 —

“You will find all the inhabitants extremely courteous and friendly.”
“你会发现所有的居民都非常有礼貌和友好。”

“Thank you both very much,” I said. “We appreciate your advice very much.”
“非常感谢你们两位,”我说。“我们非常感激你们的建议。”

“Good-by,” Catherine said. “Thank you both very much.”
“再见,”凯瑟琳说。“非常感谢你们两位。”

They bowed us to the dooi the champion of Locarno a little coldly. —
他们微微冷淡地向门口的拿可露大师鞠躬。 —

We went down the steps and into the carriage.
我们走下台阶,进入马车。

“My God, darling,” Catherine said. “Couldn’t we have gotten away any sooner?” —
“天啊,亲爱的,我们不能再早点离开吗?”凯瑟琳说。 —

I gave the name of a hotel one of the officials had recommended to the driver. —
我告诉车夫了一个官员推荐的酒店名称。 —

He picked up the reins.
他拿起缰绳。

“You’ve forgotten the army,” Catherine said. The soldier was standing by the carriage. —
“你忘了军队,”凯瑟琳说。士兵站在马车旁。 —

I gave him a ten-lira note. “I have no Swiss money yet,” I said. —
我给了他一张十里拉钞票。“我还没有瑞士钱,”我说。 —

He thanked me, saluted and went off. The carriage started and we drove to the hotel.
他向我致谢,敬礼后离开了。马车启动了,我们驶向酒店。

“How did you happen to pick out Montreux?” I asked Catherine. “Do you really want to go there?”
“你怎么选到蒙特勒?”我问凯瑟琳。“你真的想去那里吗?”

“It was the first place I could think of,” she said. —
“那是我能想到的第一个地方,”她说。 —

“It’s not a bad place. We can find some place up in the mountains.”
“那不是个坏地方。我们可以在山上找到一些地方。”

“Are you sleepy?”
“你困了吗?”

“I’m asleep right now.”
“我现在正在睡觉。”

“We’ll get a good sleep. Poor Cat, you had a long bad night.”
“我们会好好休息的。可怜的猫,你经历了漫长的糟糕之夜。”

“I had a lovely time,” Catherine said. “Especially when you sailed with the umbrella.”
“我玛会这么开心。尤其是当你用伞帆船时。”

“Can you realize we’re in Switzerland?”
“你能意识到我们在瑞士吗?”

“No, I’m afraid I’ll wake up and it won’t be true.”
“不,我怕自己醒来时发现这不是真的。”

“I am too.”
“我也是。”

“It is true, isn’t it, darling? I’m not just driving down to the stazione in Milan to see you off.”
“这是真的,是吗,亲爱的?我不只是开车去米兰车站送你。”

“I hope not.”
“我希望不是。”

“Don’t say that. It frightens me. Maybe that’s where we’re going.”
“别这么说。这让我害怕。也许那就是我们的目的地。”

“I’m so groggy I don’t know,” I said.
“我感觉昏昏沉沉的,我不知道。”

“Let me see your hands.”
“让我看看你的手。”

I put them out. They were both blistered raw.
我把手伸了出来。它们都磨破了起泡。

“There’s no hole in my side,” I said.
“我的身上没有伤口,”我说。

“Don’t be sacrilegious.”
“不要亵渎。”

I felt very tired and vague in the head. The exhilaration was all gone. —
我感到非常疲倦,头脑昏昏沉沉。所有的兴奋都消失了。 —

The carriage was going along the Street.
马车沿着大街行驶。

“Poor hands,” Catherine said.
“可怜的手,” 凯瑟琳说道。

“Don’t touch them,” I said. “By God I don’t know where we are. —
“不要碰它们,” 我说道,”天哪,我不知道我们在哪里。” —

Where are we going, driver?” The driver stopped his horse.
“我们要去哪,车夫?” 车夫停下马匹。

“To the Hotel Metropole. Don’t you want to go there?”
“去大都会酒店。你们不想去吗?”

“Yes,” I said. “It’s all right, Cat.”
“是的,” 我说道,”没事,猫儿。”

“It’s all right, darling. Don’t be upset. —
“没事,亲爱的。不要不高兴。” —

We’ll get a good sleep and you won’t feel groggy to-morrow.”
“我们会好好休息,明天你就不会感到迷糊了。”

“I get pretty groggy,” I said. “It’s like a comic opera to-day. Maybe I’m hungry.”
“我感到相当迷糊,” 我说道,”今天就像是一出喜剧歌剧。也许我饿了。”

“You’re just tired, darling. You’ll be fine.” —
“你只是累了,亲爱的。你会没事的。” —

The carriage pulled up before the hotel. —
马车停在了旅馆前面。 —

Some one came out to take our bags.
有人出来帮我们拿行李。

“I feel all right,” I said. We were down on the pavement going into the hotel.
“我感觉好多了,” 我说道。我们走下人行道进入了旅馆。

“I know you’ll be all right. You’re just tired. You’ve been up a long time.”
“我知道你会没事的。你只是累了。你已经很久没休息了。”

“Anyhow we’re here.”
“反正我们到了这儿。”

“Yes, we’re really here.”
“是的,我们真的到了这里。”

We followed the boy with the bags into the hotel.
我们跟着拿着行李的男孩走进了旅馆。