It turned cold that night and the next day it was raining. —
那天晚上天气变冷,第二天开始下雨。 —

Coming home from the Ospedale Maggiore it rained very hard and I was wet when I came in. —
从麦哲伦医院回家的路上下起了大雨,我进屋时已经被淋湿了。 —

Up in my room the rain was coming down heavily outside on the balcony, and the wind blew it against the glass doors. —
我在自己的房间里,外面的雨点打在阳台上,被风吹打到玻璃门上。 —

I changed my clothing and drank some brandy but the brandy did not taste good. —
我换了衣服,喝了一些白兰地,但这白兰地不好喝。 —

I felt sick in the night and in the morning after breakfast I was nauseated.
晚上我感到不舒服,第二天早餐后我感到恶心。

“There is no doubt about it,” the house surgeon said. “Look at the whites of his eyes, Miss.”
“毫无疑问,”主治医生说道。“看看他的眼白,盖她”。

Miss Gage looked. They had me look in a glass. —
盖她看了看。他们让我在镜子里看。 —

The whites of the eyes were yellow and it was the jaundice. I was sick for two weeks with it. —
眼白发黄,这是黄疸病。我因此生病了两周。 —

For that reason we did not spend a convalescent leave together. —
因此我们没有一起度过康复休假。 —

We had planned to go to Pallanza on Lago Maggiore. —
我们曾计划前往马焦雷湖的帕兰扎。 —

It is nice there in the fall when the leaves turn. —
秋天那里枫叶变红非常美丽。 —

There are walks you can take and you can troll for trout in the lake. —
那里可以散步,还可以在湖中垂钓鳟鱼。 —

It would have been better than Stresa because there are fewer people at Pallanza. —
那里比斯特雷萨更好,因为帕兰扎的游客更少。 —

Stresa is so easy to get to from Milan that there are always people you know. —
从米兰到斯特雷萨很方便,所以总是有认识的人在那里。 —

There is a nice village at Pallanza and you can row out to the islands where the fishermen live and there is a restaurant on the biggest island. But we did not go.
帕兰扎有一个美丽的乡村,你可以划船到岛上,那里是渔民生活的地方,最大的岛上还有一家餐厅。但我们没有去。

One day while I was in bed with jaundice Miss Van Campen came in the room, opened the door into the armoire and saw the empty bottles there. —
有一天,当我因为黄疸躺在床上时,Van Campen小姐走进房间,打开了壁橱的门,看到了那里空空如也的瓶子。 —

I had sent a load of them down by the porter and I believe she must have seen them going out and come up to find some more. —
我把一堆瓶子送给了行李员,我相信她一定看到了它们被带走,然后上来找更多。 —

They were mostly vermouth bottles, marsala bottles, capri bottles, empty chianti flasks and a few cognac bottles. —
那些瓶子大部分是苦艾酒瓶,玛莎拉酒瓶,卡普里酒瓶,空的基安蒂酒瓶,以及一些白兰地瓶子。 —

The porter had carried out the large bottles, those that had held vermouth, and the straw-covered chianti flasks, and left the brandy bottles for the last. —
行李员搬出了大瓶子,装着苦艾酒的那些,以及有稻草覆盖的基安蒂酒瓶,把白兰地瓶子留在了最后。 —

It was the brandy bottles and a bottle shaped like a bear, which had held k黰mel, that Miss Van Campen found. —
就是白兰地瓶子和一个熊形状的瓶子(里面曾经装过荷兰烈酒),Van Campen小姐发现了那瓶。 —

The bear shaped bottle enraged her particularly. —
尤其是那熊形状的瓶子激怒了她。 —

She held it up, the bear was sitting up on his haunches with his paws up, there was a cork in his glass head and a few sticky crystals at the bottom. I laughed.
她举起那瓶,熊坐在屁股上,双爪举起,玻璃头上插着软木塞,底部还有一些粘粘的晶体。我笑了。

“It is k黰mel,” I said. “The best k黰mel comes in those bearshaped bottles. It comes from Russia.”
“这是荷兰烈酒,”我说,“最好的荷兰烈酒装在那些熊形状的瓶子里。来自俄罗斯。”

“Those are all brandy bottles, aren’t they?” Miss Van Campen asked.
“这些都是白兰地瓶子,对吗?”Van Campen小姐问。

“I can’t see them all,” I said. “But they probably are.”
“我没有看完它们全部,”我说,“但它们很可能是。”

“How long has this been going on?”
“这种情况持续了多久?”

“I bought them and brought them in myself,” I said. —
“是我自己买来自己搬进来的,”我说。 —

“I have had Italian officers visit me frequently and I have kept brandy to offer them.”
“我经常有意大利军官来拜访,所以一直留着白兰地招待他们。”

“You haven’t been drinking it yourself?” she said.
“你自己没有喝对吗?”她问。

“I have also drunk it myself.”
“我也亲自喝过。”

“Brandy,” she said. “Eleven empty bottles of brandy and that bear liquid.”
“白兰地,”她说。“十一个空瓶白兰地和那熊的液体。”

“K黰mel.”
“Kahlú.mel.”

“I will send for some one to take them away. Those are all the empty bottles you have?”
“我会派人过来把它们拿走。这些就是你所有的空瓶子了吗?”

“For the moment.”
“暂时是的。”

“And I was pitying you having jaundice. Pity is something that is wasted on you.”
“我本来还为你得了黄疸感到可怜。可惜你是不值得别人同情的。”

“Thank you.”
“谢谢。”

“I suppose you can’t be blamed for not wanting to go back to the front. —
“我想你不能怪罪别人不想回前线。” —

But I should think you would try something more intelligent than producing jaundice with alcoholism.”
“但我认为你应该做些比酗酒产生黄疸更聪明的事。”

“With what?”
“用什么呢?”

“With alcoholism. You heard me say it.” I did not say anything. —
“用酗酒。你听到我说过了。”我没有说什么。 —

“Unless you find something else I’m afraid you will have to go back to the front when you are through with your jaundice. —
“除非你找到别的方法,我怕你在黄疸好了之后就得回前线。 —

I don’t believe self-inflicted jaundice entitles you to a convalescent leave.”
我不认为自己做出的黄疸就给你了休养假。”

“You don’t?”
“你不这么认为?”

“I do not.”
“我就是这么认为。”

“Have you ever had jaundice, Miss Van Campen?”
“范坎芬小姐,你得过黄疸吗?”

“No, but I have seen a great deal of it.”
“不过我看到了很多。”

“You noticed how the patients enjoyed it?”
“你注意到病人们是如何享受的吗?”

“I suppose it is better than the front.”
“我想这比前线要好。”

“Miss Van Campen,” I said, “did you ever know a man who tried to disable himself by kicking himself in the scrotum?”
“范坎普小姐,”我说,“你有没有听说过有人试图通过踢自己的睾丸来让自己残废?”

Miss Van Campen ignored the actual question. She had to ignore it or leave the room. —
范坎普小姐忽略了实际问题。她不得不忽略,否则就得离开房间。 —

She was not ready to leave because she had disliked me for a long time and she was now cashing in.
她还没准备离开,因为她对我有很长时间的反感,现在她要来讨回。

“I have known many men to escape the front through self-inflicted wounds.”
“我知道很多人通过自残手段逃离前线。”

“That wasn’t the question. I have seen self-inflicted wounds also. —
“那不是问题所在。我也看过自残伤口。 —

I asked you if you had ever known a man who had tried to disable himself by kicking himself in the scrotum. —
我问你有没有听说过有人试图通过踢自己的睾丸来让自己残废。 —

Because that is the nearest sensation to jaundice and it is a sensation that I believe few women have ever experienced. —
因为那是黄疸的最接近的感觉,我相信很少有女人经历过它。 —

That was why I asked you if you had ever had the jaundice, Miss Van Campen, because–” Miss Van Campen left the room. —
所以我问你是否得过黄疸,范坎普小姐,因为–” 范坎普小姐离开了房间。 —

Later Miss Gage came in.
后来盖奇小姐进来了。

“What did you say to Van Campen? She was furious.”
“你跟范坎普说了什么?她很生气。”

“We were comparing sensations. I was going to suggest that she had never experienced childbirth–”
“我们正在比较感觉。我本来想建议她可能从未经历过生产–”

“You’re a fool,” Gage said. “She’s after your scalp.”
“你真是个傻瓜,”盖奇说。“她是要来对付你的。”

“She has my scalp,” I said. “She’s lost me my leave and she might try and get me court-martialled. —
“她拿走了我的批假,她可能会想让我受军事法庭审判。” —

She’s mean enough.”
“她够刻薄的。”

“She never liked you,” Gage said. “What’s it about?”
盖奇说,“她从来不喜欢你。这是怎么回事?”

“She says I’ve drunk myself into jaundice so as not to go back to the front.”
“她说我为了不回前线而喝到了黄疸。”

“Pooh,” said Gage. “I’ll swear you’ve never taken a drink. —
“呸,”盖奇说,“我敢说你从来没喝过酒。” —

Everybody will swear you’ve never taken a drink.”
所有人都会保证你从来没喝过酒。”

“She found the bottles.”
“她找到了那些瓶子。”

“I’ve told you a hundred times to clear out those bottles. Where are they now?”
“我已经告诉过你一百遍了,清理那些瓶子。现在它们在哪里?”

“In the armoire.”
“在衣柜里。”

“Have you a suitcase?”
“你有个手提箱吗?”

“No. Put them in that rucksack.”
“没有。把它们放到那个背包里。”

Miss Gage packed the bottles in the rucksack. —
盖奇小姐把瓶子装进了背包。 —

“I’ll give them to the porter,” she said. —
“我会把它们交给行李员的,”她说。 —

She started for the door.
她走向门口。

“Just a minute,” Miss Van Campen said. “I’ll take those bottles.” She had the porter with her. —
“等一下,”范坎本小姐说。“我来拿那些瓶子。”她身边有行李员。 —

“Carry them, please,” she said. “I want to show them to the doctor when I make my report.”
“请把它们拿着,”她说。“我要在向医生汇报时向他展示。”

She went down the hall. The porter carried the sack. He knew what was in it.
她走下了走廊。行李员拿着袋子。他知道里面装的是什么。

Nothing happened except that I lost my leave.
除了我失去了请假外,什么也没发生。