I dropped off the train in Milan as it slowed to come into the station early in the morning before it was light. —
当火车减速驶入车站时,我在米兰下车,那时天还没亮。 —

I crossed the track and came out between some buildings and down onto the street. —
我穿过铁轨,走出一些建筑物之间,来到街上。 —

A wine shop was open and I went in for some coffee. —
一家酒店开着门,我走进去喝咖啡。 —

It smelled of early morning, of swept dust, spoons in coffee-glasses and the wet circles left by wine-glasses. —
那里有清晨的气味,扫地的灰尘味,咖啡杯中的勺子声,以及酒杯留下的湿圈。 —

The proprietor was behind the bar. Two soldiers sat at a table. —
店主站在吧台后面。两名士兵坐在一张桌子旁。 —

I stood at the bar and drank a glass of coffee and ate a piece of bread. —
我站在吧台前喝了一杯咖啡,吃了一块面包。 —

The coffee was gray with milk, and I skimmed the milk scum off the top with a piece of bread. —
咖啡是加奶的,我用一块面包撇去了浮在顶部的奶沫。 —

The proprietor looked at me.
店主看着我。

“You want a glass of grappa?”
“你想来一杯格拉帕酒吗?”

“No thanks.”
“不用了。”

“On me,” he said and poured a small glass and pushed it toward me. “What’s happening at the front?”
“我请客。”他说着倒了一小杯,推到我面前。“前线上发生了什么事?”

“I would not know.”
“我不清楚。”

“They are drunk,” he said, moving his hand toward the two soldiers. —
“他们喝醉了,”他说着指向两名士兵。 —

I could believe him. They looked drunk.
我能相信他。他们看起来确实喝醉了。

“Tell me,” he said, “what is happening at the front?”
“告诉我,”他说,“前线上发生了什么事?”

“I would not know about the front.”
“我不知道前方的情况。”

“I saw you come down the wall. You came off the train.”
“我看到你沿着墙下来。你从火车上下来了。”

“There is a big retreat.”
“有一场大撤退。”

“I read the papers. What happens? Is it over?”
“我看报纸。发生了什么?结束了吗?”

“I don’t think so.”
“我不这么认为。”

He filled the glass with grappa from a short bottle. —
他从一个短瓶子里倒满了杯子里的格拉帕。 —

“If you are in trouble,” he said, “I can keep you.”
“如果你有麻烦,“他说, “我可以帮助你。”

“I am not in trouble.”
“我没有麻烦。”

“If you are in trouble stay here with me.”
“如果你有麻烦,就留在这里跟我在一起。”

“Where does one stay?”
“一个人应该留在哪里?”

“In the building. Many stay here. Any who are in trouble stay here.”
“在这栋大楼里。很多人都住在这里。任何有麻烦的人都会留在这里。”

“Are many in trouble?”
“有很多人遇到麻烦吗?”

“It depends on the trouble. You are a South American?”
“这取决于麻烦的程度。你是南美人吗?”

“No.”
“不是。”

“Speak Spanish?”
“会说西班牙语吗?”

“A little.”
“一点点。”

He wiped off the bar.
他擦拭了吧台。

“It is hard now to leave the country but in no way impossible.”
“现在很难离开这个国家,但绝不是不可能的。”

“I have no wish to leave.”
“我不想离开。”

“You can stay here as long as you want. You will see what sort of man I am.”
“你可以在这里待多久都可以。你会看到我是什么样的人。”

“I have to go this morning but I will remember the address to return.”
“我今天早上必须离开,但我会记住地址以便回来。”

He shook his head. “You won’t come back if you talk like that. I thought you were in real trouble.”
他摇了摇头。“如果你这样说,你就不会回来了。我以为你真的有麻烦。”

“I am in no trouble. But I value the address of a friend.”
“我并没有麻烦。但我珍惜一个朋友的地址。”

I put a ten-lira note on the bar to pay for the coffee.
我在吧台上放了一张十里拉的钞票付咖啡钱。

“Have a grappa with me,” I said.
“和我一起喝一杯格拉帕酒吧,”我说。

“It is not necessary.”
“没必要。”

“Have one.”
“来一杯吧。”

He poured the two glasses.
他倒了两杯酒。

“Remember,” he said. “Come here. Do not let other people take you in. Here you are all right.”
“记住,”他说。“来这里吧。不要让别人骗了你。在这里你是安全的。”

“I am sure.”
“我相信。”

“You are sure?”
“你肯定吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

He was serious. “Then let me tell you one thing. Do not go about with that coat.”
他很认真地说道。”那就让我告诉你一件事。不要再穿那件外套了。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“On the sleeves it shows very plainly where the stars have been cut away. —
“袖子上很明显地显示了星星被剪掉的痕迹。布料的颜色也不同。” —

The cloth is a different color.”
我没有说话。

I did not say anything.
“如果你没有文件,我可以给你一些文件。”

“If you have no papers I can give you papers.”
“什么文件?”

“What papers?”
“出境文件。”

“Leave-papers.”
“我不需要文件。我有文件。”

“I have no need for papers. I have papers.”
“好的,”他说。”但如果你需要文件,我可以帮你弄到你想要的。”

“All right,” he said. “But if you need papers I can get what you wish.”
“这种文件要多少钱?”

“How much are such papers?”
“这取决于文件的种类。价格还算合理。”

“It depends on what they are. The price is reasonable.”
“我现在不需要。”

“I don’t need any now.”
“我现在不需要任何文件。”

He shrugged his shoulders.
他耸了耸肩膀。

“I’m all right,” I said.
“我没事,”我说。

When I went out he said, “Don’t forget that I am your friend.”
当我走出去时,他说:”别忘了我是你的朋友。”

“No.”
“不。”

“I will see you again,” he said.
“我会再见你的,”他说。

“Good,” I said.
“好的,”我说。

Outside I kept away from the station, where there were military police, and picked up a cab at the edge of the little park. —
我在车站外面避开了军警,在小公园边搭了一辆出租车。 —

I gave the driver the address of the hospital. —
我给司机了医院的地址。 —

At the hospital I went to the porter’s lodge. —
在医院我去了门房。 —

His wife embraced me. He shook my hand.
他的妻子拥抱了我。他握了握我的手。

“You are back. You are safe.”
“你回来了。你平安。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Have you had breakfast?”
“你吃早饭了吗?”

“Yes.”
“吃了。”

“How are you, Tenente? How are you?” the wife asked.
“Tenente,你好吗?你好吗?”妻子问道。

“Fine.”
“好的。”

“Won’t you have breakfast with us?”
“你不和我们一起吃早餐吗?”

“No, thank you. Tell me is Miss Barkley here at the hospital now?”
“不,谢谢。告诉我,巴克莱小姐现在在医院吗?”

“Miss Barkley?”
“巴克莱小姐?”

“The English lady nurse.”
“那位英国女护士。”

“His girl,” the wife said. She patted my arm and smiled.
“他的女朋友,”妻子说。她拍了拍我的胳膊,微笑着。

“No,” the porter said. “She is away.”
“不在,”搬运工说。”她走了。”

My heart went down. “You are sure? I mean the tall blonde English young lady.”
我的心一沉。”你确定吗?我是说那位高个子金发英国年轻女士。”

“I am sure. She is gone to Stresa.”
“我确定。她去了斯特雷萨。”

“When did she go?”
“她什么时候走的?”

“She went two days ago with the other lady English.”
“她两天前和另一位英国女士一起走的。”

“Good,” I said. “I wish you to do something for me. —
“好,”我说。”我希望你为我做件事。 —

Do not tell any one you have seen me. It is very important.”
不要告诉任何人你见过我。这非常重要。”

“I won’t tell any one,” the porter said. I gave him a ten-lira note. He pushed it away.
“我不会告诉任何人,”搬运工说。我给了他一张十里拉的钞票。他把它推开。

“I promise you I will tell no one,” he said. “I don’t want any money.”
“我发誓我不会告诉任何人,”他说。”我不需要钱。”

“What can we do for you, Signor Tenente?” his wife asked.
“我们可以为您做些什么,Tenente先生?”他的妻子问道。

“Only that,” I said.
“只是这样,”我说。

“We are dumb,” the porter said. “You will let me know anything I can do?”
“我们愚蠢,”门卫说道。“您会让我知道我能做些什么吗?”

“Yes,” I said. “Good-by. I will see you again.”
“是的,”我说。“再见。我会再见到你们的。”

They stood in the door, looking after me.
他们站在门口,望着我走远。

I got into the cab and gave the driver the address of Simmons, one of the men I knew who was studying singing.
我上了出租车,告诉司机Simmons的地址,他是我认识的一个在学习唱歌的人。

Simmons lived a long way out in the town toward the Porta Magenta. —
Simmons住在城镇的很远处,靠近马真塔门。 —

He was still in bed and sleepy when I went to see him.
当我去看他的时候,他还躺在床上,昏昏欲睡。

“You get up awfully early, Henry,” he said.
“你起得真早,Henry,”他说。

“I came in on the early train.”
“我搭乘了早班火车。”

“What’s all this retreat? Were you at the front? Will you have a cigarette? —
“这是怎么回事,撤退?你在前线吗?要来支烟吗? —

They’re in that box on the table.” It was a big room with a bed beside the wall, a piano over on the far side and a dresser and table. —
那个盒子在桌子上。”这是一个有大床靠墙,一架钢琴在远处,还有一个梳妆台和桌子的大房间。 —

I sat on a chair by the bed. Simmons sat propped up by the pillows and smoked.
我坐在床边的椅子上。Simmons靠着枕头坐着吸烟。

“I’m in a jam, Sim,” I said.
“我遇到麻烦了,Sim,”我说。

“So am I,” he said. “I’m always in a jam. Won’t you smoke?”
“我一直都麻烦不断,”他说。“你不抽烟吗?”

“No,” I said. “What’s the procedure in going to Switzerland?”
“不,”我说。“去瑞士的程序是什么?”

“For you? The Italians wouldn’t let you out of the country.”
“对你来说?意大利人不会让你离开国家。”

“Yes. I know that. But the Swiss. What will they do?”
“是的。我知道。但瑞士人呢?他们会怎么做?”

“They intern you.”
“他们会拘留你。”

“I know. But what’s the mechanics of it?”
“我知道。但具体是怎么做的呢?”

“Nothing. It’s very simple. You can go anywhere. —
“没什么。很简单。你可以去任何地方。” —

I think you just have to report or something. Why? —
“我想只是需要报告之类的。为什么问?” —

Are you fleeing the police?”
“你在逃避警察吗?”

“Nothing definite yet.”
“目前还没有确切的事情。”

“Don’t tell me if you don’t want. But it would be interesting to hear. —
“如果你不想告诉我就算了。但听起来很有趣。” —

Nothing happens here. I was a great flop at Piacenza.”
“这里什么都没有发生。我在皮亚琴察很失败。”

“I’m awfully sorry.”
“我非常抱歉。”

“Oh yes–I went very badly. I sung well too. I’m going to try it again at the Lyrico here.”
“哦是的——我表现得很糟。我也唱得不错。我打算在这里的里里科剧院再试一次。”

“I’d like to be there.”
“我想去那里。”

“You’re awfully polite. You aren’t in a bad mess, are you?”
“你非常有礼貌。你不是处在很糟糕的困境中吧?”

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“Don’t tell me if you don’t want. How do you happen to be away from the bloody front?”
“如果你不想告诉我也没关系。你怎么会离开那该死的前线?”

“I think I’m through with it.”
“我想我已经和那段生活告别了。”

“Good boy. I always knew you had sense. Can I help you any way?”
“好样的。我一直知道你很有头脑。我能帮你吗?”

“You’re awfully busy.”
“你看起来很忙。”

“Not a bit of it, my dear Henry. Not a bit of it. I’d be happy to do anything.”
“一点也不忙,亲爱的亨利。真的,我很乐意帮忙。”

“You’re about my size. Would you go out and buy me an outfit of civilian clothes? —
“你和我差不多高。能去给我买套便装吗?” —

I’ve clothes but they’re all at Rome.”
“我有衣服,但他们都在罗马。”

“You did live there, didn’t you? It’s a filthy place. How did you ever live there?”
“你在那儿生活过,对吧?那地方真脏。你怎么在那儿生活的?”

“I wanted to be an architect.”
“我想当建筑师。”

“That’s no place for that. Don’t buy clothes. I’ll give you all the clothes you want. —
“那儿不适合当建筑师。别买衣服。我会给你想要的所有衣服。” —

I’ll fit you out so you’ll be a great success. Go in that dressing room. There’s a closet. —
“我会给你准备好让你一展身手。去那间更衣室。有个衣柜。” —

Take anything you want. My dear fellow, you don’t want to buy clothes.”
“随便拿,亲爱的伙计,你不需要买衣服的。”

“I’d rather buy them, Sim.”
“我宁愿买,辛姆。”

“My dear fellow, it’s easier for me to let you have them than go out and buy them. —
“亲爱的伙计,我让你拿比让我去买更容易。” —

Have you got a passport? You won’t get far without a passport.”
你有护照吗?没有护照怎么可能走得远。

“Yes. I’ve still got my passport.”
“是的。我还留着我的护照。”

“Then get dressed, my dear fellow, and off to old Helvetia.”
“那就快点穿好衣服,我们去旧瑞士吧。”

“It’s not that simple. I have to go up to Stresa first.”
“不那么简单。我得先去斯特雷萨。”

“Ideal, my dear fellow. You just row a boat across. —
“非常好,亲爱的。你只需划船过去就行了。” —

If I wasn’t trying to sing, I’d go with you. I’ll go yet.”
“如果我不是在唱歌,我就跟你一起去。我迟早会去的。”

“You could take up yodelling.”
“你可以学习尤德尔曲。”

“My dear fellow, I’ll take up yodelling yet. I really can sing though. That’s the strange part.”
“亲爱的,我迟早会学会尤德尔曲的。虽然很奇怪,但我确实会唱歌。”

“I’ll bet you can sing.”
“我敢打赌你一定会唱歌。”

He lay back in bed smoking a cigarette.
他躺在床上抽着一支香烟。

“Don’t bet too much. But I can sing though. It’s damned funny, but I can. I like to sing. Listen.” —
“不要打太多的赌。但我确实会唱歌。挺好笑的,但我确实会。我喜欢唱歌。听着。” —

He roared into “Africana,” his neck swelling, the veins standing out. “I can sing,” he said. —
他高声唱着《非洲之歌》,脖子隆起,血管凸显。 “我会唱歌,” 他说。 —

“Whether they like it or not.” I looked out of the window. “I’ll go down and let my cab go.”
“无论别人喜欢与否。” 我看向窗外。 “我会下去让我的出租车离开。”

“Come back up, my dear fellow, and we’ll have breakfast.” —
“再回来,亲爱的,我们一起吃早餐。” —

He stepped out of bed, stood straight, took a deep breath and commenced doing bending exercises. —
他从床上站起来,挺直身体,深吸一口气,开始做弯腰运动。 —

I went downstairs and paid off the cab.
我下楼去付出租车费。