We got into Milan early in the morning and they unloaded us in the freight yard. —
我们一大早抵达米兰,他们把我们卸在货运场。 —

An ambulance took me to the American hospital. —
一辆救护车把我送到了美国医院。 —

Riding in the ambulance on a stretcher I could not tell what part of town we were passing through but when they unloaded the stretcher I saw a market-place and an open wine shop with a girl sweeping out. —
我躺在担架上在救护车里,无法分辨我们经过的是城镇的哪个部分,但当他们卸下担架时,我看到一个市场和一个开门的酒吧,一个女孩正在打扫。 —

They were watering the street and it smelled of the early morning. —
他们在浇水,街道上散发着清晨的气味。 —

They put the stretcher down and went in. The porter came out with them. —
他们把担架放下,然后进去了。门房员跟着他们一起出来。 —

He had gray mustaches, wore a doorman’s cap and was in his shirt sleeves. —
他长着灰色的胡须,戴着门房的帽子,衬衣袖子卷了起来。 —

The stretcher would not go into the elevator and they discussed whether it was better to lift me off the stretcher and go up in the elevator or carry the stretcher up the stairs. —
担架无法进电梯,他们讨论是把我从担架上抬起然后一起上电梯还是抬着担架上楼梯更好。 —

I listened to them discussing it. They decided on the elevator. —
我听着他们讨论。他们决定坐电梯。 —

They lifted me from the stretcher. “Go easy,” I said. “Take it softly.”
他们把我从担架上抬起。“小心点,”我说。“轻点。”

In the elevator we were crowded and as my legs bent the pain was very bad. —
在电梯里拥挤,当我的腿弯曲时,疼痛非常剧烈。 —

“Straighten out the legs,” I said.
“把腿伸直,”我说。

“We can’t, Signor Tenente. There isn’t room.” —
“我们做不到,上尉先生。这里没有空间。” —

The man who said this had his arm around me and my arm was around his neck. —
说这话的男人把手搭在我的身上,我的手搭在他的脖子上。 —

His breath came in my face metallic with garlic and red wine.
他的呼吸带着大蒜和红酒的金属味儿朝我脸上喷着。

“Be gentle,” the other man said.
“温柔点,”另一个人说。

“Son of a bitch who isn’t gentle!”
“这个混蛋可不温和!”

“Be gentle I say,” the man with my feet repeated.
“我说温和点,“踩着我的脚的男人重复道。

I saw the doors of the elevator closed, and the grill shut and the fourth-floor button pushed by the porter. —
我看到电梯的门关上,格子门也关上,门童按下了四楼的按钮。 —

The porter looked worried. The elevator rose slowly.
门童看起来很担心。电梯缓缓上升。

“Heavy?” I asked the man with the garlic.
“重吗?”我问拿大蒜的那个人。

“Nothing,” he said. His face was sweating and he grunted. The elevator rose steadily and stopped. —
“没事,”他说。他的脸上带着汗,喘着气。电梯平稳地上升并停下。 —

The man holding the feet opened the door and stepped out. We were on a balcony. —
抬着脚的人打开了门走了出去。我们在一个阳台上。 —

There were several doors with brass knobs. —
有几扇带黄铜把手的门。 —

The man carrying the feet pushed a button that rang a bell. —
抬着脚的那个人按下了一个按铃的按钮。 —

We heard it inside the doors. No one came. —
我们听到了门内的铃声。没有人出来。 —

Then the porter came up the stairs.
然后门童走上了楼梯。

“Where are they?” the stretcher-bearers asked.
“他们呢?”抬担架的人问。

“I don’t know,” said the porter. “They sleep down stairs.”
“我不知道,”门童说。“他们在楼下睡。”

“Get somebody.”
“找人过来吧。”

The porter rang the bell, then knocked on the door, then he opened the door and went in. —
门童按了铃,然后敲了门,接着打开了门走了进去。 —

When he came back there was an elderly woman wearing glasses with him. —
当他回来的时候,有位戴眼镜的老妇人跟着他。 —

Her hair was loose and half-falling and she wore a nurse’s dress.
她的头发散乱着,有一半垂落,穿着护士服。

“I can’t understand,” she said. “I can’t understand Italian.”
“我不懂,”她说。“我听不懂意大利语。”

“I can speak English,” I said. “They want to put me somewhere.”
“我会说英语,”我说。“他们想把我安置在某处。”

“None of the rooms are ready. There isn’t any patient expected.” —
“没有一个房间准备好。没有任何病人预约。” —

She tucked at her hair and looked at me near-sightedly.
她拨弄着头发,近视地看着我。

“Show them any room where they can put me.”
“给他们展示可以安置我的任何房间。”

“I don’t know,” she said. “There’s no patient expected. I couldn’t put you in just any room.”
“我不知道,”她说。“没有病人预约。我不能把你安置在随便哪个房间。”

“Any room will do,” I said. Then to the porter in Italian, “Find an empty room.”
“任何房间都可以,”我说。然后对护工说,“找一个空房间。”

“They are all empty,” said the porter. “You are the first patient.” —
“他们都是空的,”护工说。“你是第一位病人。” —

He held his cap in his hand and looked at the elderly nurse.
他手里拿着帽子,看着那位灰发的女护士。

“For Christ’s sweet sake take me to some room.” —
“求求你,带我去某个房间。” —

The pain had gone on and on with the legs bent and I could feel it going in and out of the bone. —
疼痛持续不断地传入骨头里,腿弯曲着。 —

The porter went in the door, followed by the grayhaired woman, then came hurrying back. —
护工走进门,后面跟着那位白发的女人,然后匆匆返回。 —

“Follow me,” he said. They carried me down a long hallway and into a room with drawn blinds. —
“跟着我,”他说。他们把我抬下了一条长长的走廊,进入一个拉着百叶窗的房间。 —

It smelled of new furniture. There was a bed and a big wardrobe with a mirror. —
这里闻起来是新家具的味道。有一张床和一个带镜子的大衣橱。 —

They laid me down on the bed.
他们把我放在床上。

“I can’t put on sheets,” the woman said. “The sheets are locked up.”
“床单在锁着呢,我拿不出来。”那位女士说。

I did not speak to her. “There is money in my pocket,” I said to the porter. —
我没有和她说话。“我的口袋里有钱,”我对搬运工说。 —

“In the buttoned-down pocket.” The porter took out the money. —
“在扣上的口袋里。”搬运工拿出了钱。 —

The two stretcher-bearers stood beside the bed holding their caps. —
两名抬担架的人站在床边,拿着帽子。 —

“Give them five lire apiece and five lire for yourself. —
“给他们每人五里拉,还有你自己也拿五里拉。” —

My papers are in the other pocket. You may give them to the nurse.”
“我的文件在另一个口袋里,你可以交给护士。”

The stretcher-bearers saluted and said thank you. “Good-by,” I said. —
抬担架的人行了个礼,说了声谢谢。“再见,”我说。 —

“And many thanks.” They saluted again and went out.
“还有非常感谢。”他们再次行礼离开了。

“Those papers,” I said to the nurse, “describe my case and the treatment already given.”
“那些文件,”我对护士说,“描述了我的病情和已经接受的治疗。”

The woman picked them up and looked at them through her glasses. —
那位女士拿起文件,透过眼镜看了看。 —

There were three papers and they were folded. “I don’t know what to do,” she said. —
一共有三张文件,它们都是折叠着的。“我不知道该怎么办,”她说。 —

“I can’t read Italian. I can’t do anything without the doctor’s orders.” —
“我看不懂意大利文。没有医生的指示我什么也做不了。” —

She commenced to cry and put the papers in her apron pocket. —
她开始哭泣,把文件塞进了围裙口袋里。 —

“Are you an American?” she asked crying.
“你是美国人吗?”她哭着问道。

“Yes. Please put the papers on the table by the bed.”
“是的。请把文件放在床边的桌子上。”

It was dim and cool in the room. As I lay on the bed I could see the big mirror on the other side of the room but could not see what it reflected. —
房间里昏暗而凉爽。我躺在床上,看到对面的大镜子,但看不到它反射的东西。 —

The porter stood by the bed. He had a nice face and was very kind.
搬运工站在床边。他有一张漂亮的脸,非常和蔼。

“You can go,” I said to him. “You can go too,” I said to the nurse. “What is your name?”
“你可以走了,”我对他说。“你也可以走了,”我对护士说。“你叫什么名字?”

“Mrs. Walker.”
“沃克夫人。”

“You can go, Mrs. Walker. I think I will go to sleep.”
“你可以走了,沃克夫人。我想我要睡觉了。”

I was alone in the room. It was cool and did not smell like a hospital. —
我一个人在房间里。这里很凉爽,没有医院的味道。 —

The mattress was firm and comfortable and I lay without moving, hardly breathing, happy in feeling the pain lessen. —
床垫很结实舒服,我躺着不动,几乎不呼吸,感到疼痛在减轻。 —

After a while I wanted a drink of water and found the bell on a cord by the bed and rang it but nobody came. I went to sleep.
过了一会儿,我渴了,找到床边的绳索上的铃铛,按响了,但没有人来。我就睡着了。

When I woke I looked around. There was sunlight coming in through the shutters. —
当我醒来时,看了看四周。阳光透过百叶窗进来。 —

I saw the big armoire, the bare walls, and two chairs. —
我看到了大衣橱、光秃秃的墙壁和两把椅子。 —

My legs in the dirty bandages, stuck straight out in the bed. I was careful not to move them. —
我的脚踝上缠着脏绷带,伸直躺在床上。我小心翼翼地不敢动它们。 —

I was thirsty and I reached for the bell and pushed the button. —
我口渴了,伸手去按铃钮。 —

I heard the door open and looked and it was a nurse. —
我听到门打开,看了一眼,是一名护士。 —

She looked young and pretty.
她看起来又年轻又漂亮。

“Good-morning,” I said.
“早上好,”我说。

“Good-morning,” she said and came over to the bed. “We haven’t been able to get the doctor. —
“早上好,”她说着走到床边。“我们联系不到医生了。 —

He’s gone to Lake Como. No one knew there was a patient coming. —
他去了科莫湖。没有人知道有病人要到来。 —

What’s wrong with you anyway?”
你到底怎么了?”

“I’m wounded. In the legs and feet and my head is hurt.”
“我受伤了。腿和脚都受伤了,头也疼。”

“What’s your name?”
“你叫什么名字?”

“Henry. Frederic Henry.”
“亨利。弗雷德里克 亨利。”

“I’ll wash you up. But we can’t do anything to the dressings until the doctor comes.”
“我来帮你清洗一下。但在医生到来之前我们不能动那些绷带。”

“Is Miss Barkley here?”
“巴克利小姐在这里吗?”

“No. There’s no one by that name here.”
“不在。这里没有这个名字的人。”

“Who was the woman who cried when I came in?”
“刚才我进来的时候那位哭了的女士是谁?”

The nurse laughed. “That’s Mrs. Walker. She was on night duty and she’d been asleep. —
护士笑了。“那是沃克夫人。她是值夜班,刚睡醒。 —

She wasn’t expecting any one.”
她没有在预料有人到来。”

While we were talking she was undressing me, and when I was undressed, except for the bandages, she washed me, very gently and smoothly. —
我们边聊天边她在帮我脱衣服,等我脱光了,除了绷带之外,她就开始给我擦洗,非常温柔顺畅。 —

The washing felt very good. There was a bandage on my head but she washed all around the edge.
洗澡感觉很好。我的头上缠着绷带,但她洗得很仔细。

“Where were you wounded?”
“你是在哪里受伤的?”

“On the Isonze north of Plava.”
“在普拉瓦北面的伊松泽上。”

“Where is that?”
“那在哪里?”

“North of Gorizia.”
“乔里齐亚北面。”

I could see that none of the places meant anything to her.
我看得出这些地方对她来说都没有意义。

“Do you have a lot of pain?”
“你疼吗?”

“No. Not much now.”
“不太疼了。”

She put a thermometer in my mouth.
她在我嘴里放了一个温度计。

“The Italians put it under the arm,” I said.
“意大利人是放在腋窝下的,”我说。

“Don’t talk.”
“别说话。”

When she took the thermometer out she read it and then shook it.
她拔出温度计后看了看,然后摇了摇头。

“What’s the temperature?”
“体温是多少?”

“You’re not supposed to know that.”
“你不应该知道这个。”

“Tell me what it is.”
“告诉我。”

“It’s almost normal.”
“这几乎是正常的。”

“I never have any fever. My legs are full of old iron too.”
“我从来没有发过烧。我的腿里也塞满了古老的铁器。”

“What do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“They’re full of trench-mortar fragments, old screws and bedsprings and things.”
“它们里面塞满了战壕迫击炮碎片,旧的螺丝和弹簧等物。”

She shook her head and smiled.
她摇了摇头,微笑着。

“If you had any foreign bodies in your legs they would set up an inflammation and you’d have fever.”
“如果你的腿里有异物的话,会引起发炎,你会发烧的。”

“All right,” I said. “We’ll see what comes out.”
“好的,”我说。“我们等着瞧。”

She went out of the room and came back with the old nurse of the early morning. —
她走出房间,带着早晨的老护士回来。 —

Together they made the bed with me in it. —
她们一起给我在床上铺了床。 —

That was new to me and an admirable proceeding.
这对我来说是新鲜的,也是一种令人钦佩的做法。

“Who is in charge here?”
“这里谁负责?”

“Miss Van Campen.”
“范坎彭小姐。”

“How many nurses are there?”
“有多少护士?”

“Just us two.”
“我们两个而已。”

“Won’t there be more?”
“不会再有了吗?”

“Some more are coming.”
“还有一些人要到了。”

“When will they get here?”
“他们什么时候到?”

“I don’t know. You ask a great many questions for a sick boy.”
“我不知道。你这么多问题啊,一个生病的男孩。”

“I’m not sick,” I said. “I’m wounded.”
“我不是病了,”我说。“我是受伤了。”

They had finished making the bed and I lay with a clean smooth sheet under me and another sheet over me. —
他们已经整理好床铺了,我躺在一张干净光滑的床单上,另一张床单盖在我身上。 —

Mrs. Walker went out and came back with a pajama jacket. —
沃克夫人走出去又拿了一件睡衣外套回来。 —

They put that on me and I felt very clean and dressed.
他们给我穿上,让我感觉很干净,衣着整洁。

“You’re awfully nice to me,” I said. The nurse called Miss Gage giggled. —
“你们对我太好了,”我说。护士叫盖奇小姐咯咯笑。 —

“Could I have a drink of water?” I asked.
“我能要杯水喝吗?“我问。

“Certainly. Then you can have breakfast.”
“当然可以。然后你就可以吃早饭了。”

“I don’t want breakfast. Can I have the shutters opened please?”
“我不想吃早饭。请帮我打开百叶窗好吗?”

The light had been dim in the room and when the shutters were opened it was bright sunlight and I looked out on a balcony and beyond were the tile roofs of houses and chimneys. —
房间里的光线很暗,当打开百叶窗时,明亮的阳光照进来,我望着阳台外面,屋顶瓦片,烟囱在眼前。 —

I looked out over the tiled roofs and saw white clouds and the sky very blue.
我望着瓦片屋顶,看到白云和蓝天。

“Don’t you know when the other nurses are coming?”
“你不知道其他护士什么时候来吗?”

“Why? Don’t we take good care of you?”
“为什么?我们照顾你不好吗?”

“You’re very nice.”
“你很友善。”

“Would you like to use the bedpan?”
“你想用便盆吗?”

“I might try.”
“我可能会尝试。”

They helped me and held me up but it was not any use. —
他们帮助我扶着我,但毫无用处。 —

Afterward I lay and looked out the open doors onto the balcony.
之后,我躺着看着通往阳台的开放门。

“When does the doctor come?”
“医生什么时候来?”

“When he gets back. We’ve tried to telephone to Lake Como for him.”
“他回来时就会来。我们已经试着给他在Como湖打电话了。”

“Aren’t there any other doctors?”
“难道没有其他医生吗?”

“He’s the doctor for the hospital.”
“他是医院的医生。”

Miss Gage brought a pitcher of water and a glass. —
盖奇小姐拿来了一壶水和一个玻璃杯。 —

I drank three glasses and then they left me and I looked out the window a while and went back to sleep. —
我喝了三杯水,然后他们离开了我,我又看了会儿窗外,然后又睡着了。 —

I ate some lunch and in the afternoon Miss Van Campen, the superintendent, came up to see me. —
我吃了一些午饭,下午范坎彭,主管,上来看我。 —

She did not like me and I did not like her. —
她不喜欢我,我也不喜欢她。 —

She was small and neatly suspicious and too good for her position. —
她个子小、一丝不苟、过于优秀以至于配不上她的职位。 —

She asked many questions and seemed to think it was somewhat disgraceful that I was with the Italians.
她问了很多问题,似乎认为我跟意大利人在一起有些不体面。

“Can I have wine with the meals?” I asked her.
“我问她,“我可以用餐时喝酒吗?”

“Only if the doctor prescribes it.”
“只有在医生开处方的情况下才可以。”

“I can’t have it until he comes?”
“医生来之前我就不能喝了吗?”

“Absolutely not.”
“绝对不可以。”

“You plan on having him come eventually?”
“您打算让他过来吗?”

“We’ve telephoned him at Lake Como.”
“我们已经给他在科莫湖打了电话。”

She went out and Miss Gage came back.
她走了出去,Gage小姐回来了。

“Why were you rude to Miss Van Campen?” she asked after she had done something for me very skilfully.
“你为什么对Van Campen小姐不礼貌?”她问道,在为我做了一些非常熟练的事情之后。

“I didn’t mean to be. But she was snooty.”
“我不是故意的。但她态度高傲。”

“She said you were domineering and rude.”
“她说你专横无礼。”

“I wasn’t. But what’s the idea of a hospital without a doctor?”
“我没有。但是,医院没有医生有什么意思?”

“He’s coming. They’ve telephoned for him to Lake Como.”
“他就要来了。他们已经给他在科莫湖打了电话。”

“What does he do there? Swim?”
“他在那里做什么?游泳?”

“No. He has a clinic there.”
“不是。他在那里有一个诊所。”

“Why don’t they get another doctor?”
“他们为什么不找另外一个医生呢?””

“Hush. Hush. Be a good boy and he’ll come.”
“嘘,嘘,做一个乖孩子,他就会来的。”

I sent for the porter and when he came I told him in Italian to get me a bottle of Cinzano at the wine shop, a fiasco of chianti and the evening papers. —
我叫来了行李员,当他来时我用意大利语告诉他去酒店的酒铺给我拿一瓶辛扎诺,一瓶基安蒂和晚间报纸。 —

He went away and brought them wrapped in newspaper, unwrapped them and, when I asked him to, drew the corks and put the wine and vermouth under the bed. —
他走了,把它们用报纸包好,解开并且,当我要求时,拔出瓶塞,把酒和雄黄放在床底下。 —

They left me alone and I lay in bed and read the papers awhile, the news from the front, and the list of dead officers with their decorations and then reached down and brought up the bottle of Cinzano and held it straight up on my stomach, the cool glass against my stomach, and took little drinks making rings on my stomach from holding the bottle there between drinks, and watched it get dark outside over the roofs of the town. —
他们把我单独留在床上,我躺在床上看了一会儿报纸,前线的消息,以及带勋章的战亡军官名单,然后伸手拿起辛扎诺的瓶子,直立在我的胃上,凉凉的玻璃压在我的胃上,喝了些小口酒,让瓶子在喝酒之间留下环形印记在我的胃上,看着外面的天色渐暗,看着镇上屋顶上的鸟飞过。 —

The swallows circled around and I watched them and the night-hawks flying above the roofs and drank the Cinzano. —
燕子盘旋着,我看着它们和夜间飞鹰在屋顶上空飞过,并喝着辛扎诺。 —

Miss Gage brought up a glass with some eggnog in it. —
盖奇小姐拿了一杯加了蛋酒的玻璃杯。 —

I lowered the vermouth bottle to the other side of the bed when she came in.
当她进来时,我把雄黄瓶放在另一边的床上。

“Miss Van Campen had some sherry put in this,” she said. “You shouldn’t be rude to her. —
“范坎本小姐让人放了一些雪利酒在这里,”她说。“你不应该对她无礼。 —

She’s not young and this hospital is a big responsibility for her. —
她已经不年轻,这个医院对她来说是一个很大的责任。 —

Mrs. Walker’s too old and she’s no use to her.”
沃克夫人太老了,对她毫无用处。

“She’s a splendid woman,” I said. “Thank her very much.”
“她是一个极好的女性,”我说。“非常感谢她。”

“I’m going to bring your supper right away.”
“我马上就去给你拿晚饭。”

“That’s all right,” I said. “I’m not hungry.”
“没关系,”我说。“我不饿。”

When she brought the tray and put it on the bed table I thanked her and ate a little of the supper. —
她拿来托盘并放在床头桌上后,我谢过她,吃了一点晚餐。 —

Afterward it was dark outside and I could see the beams of the search-lights moving in the sky. —
之后外面已经黑了,我能看到搜索灯在天空中移动的光束。 —

I watched for a while and then went to sleep. —
我看了一会儿然后睡着了。 —

I slept heavily except once I woke sweating and scared and then went back to sleep trying to stay outside of my dream. —
我睡得很沉,只有一次我在梦中出现了一身汗,吓得醒了,然后试图保持清醒来避免梦境。 —

I woke for good long before it was light and heard roosters crowing and stayed on awake until it began to be light. —
我在天亮前很早醒来,听到公鸡打鸣,直到天亮还清醒着。 —

I was tired and once it was really light I went back to sleep again.
我很疲倦,天亮后便重新睡了。