Catherine went along the lake to the little hotel to see Ferguson and I sat in the bar and read the papers. —
凯瑟琳沿着湖边去小旅馆看弗格森,我则坐在酒吧里看报纸。 —

There were comfortable leather chairs in the bar and I sat in one of them and read until the barman came in. —
酒吧里有舒适的皮椅,我坐在其中一把上读书,直到吧台工作人员进来。 —

The army had not stood at the Tagliamento. —
军队未曾停留在塔里亚门托。 —

They were falling back to the Piave. I remembered the Piave. The railroad crossed it near San Dona going up to the front. —
他们正在往派阿维后撤。我记得派阿维,铁路在圣多纳附近穿过它一直延伸到前线。 —

It was deep and slow there and quite narrow. Down below there were mosquito marshes and canals. —
那里派阿维河又深又慢,宽度相当狭窄。下面是蚊蚋肆虐的沼泽地和运河。 —

There were some lovely villas. Once, before the war, going up to Cortina D’Ampezzo I had gone along it for several hours in the hills. —
那里有一些可爱的别墅。战前一次去科尔蒂纳·丹佩佐时,我顺着它走了几个小时在山间。 —

Up there it looked like a trout stream, flowing swiftly with shallow stretches and pools under the shadow of the rocks. —
在山上,它看起来像一条鳟鱼溪,流水湍急,在岩石阴影下有浅水区和池塘。 —

The road turned off from it at Cadore. I wondered how the army that was up there would come down. —
那条路在卡多雷分叉。我想知道那边的军队将如何撤下来。 —

The barman came in.
吧台工作人员进来了。

“Count Greffi was asking for you,” he said.
“格莱夫伯爵找你呢,”他说。

“Who?”
“谁?”

“Count Greffi. You remember the old man who was here when you were here before.”
“格莱夫伯爵。你还记得之前在这时你在的时候那位老人吗?”

“Is he here?”
“他在这里吗?”

“Yes, he’s here with his niece. I told him you were here. He wants you to play billiards.”
“是的,他和他的侄女在这里。我告诉他你在这里。他想让你打台球。”

“Where is he?”
“他在哪里?”

“He’s taking a walk.”
“他在散步。”

“How is he?”
“他怎么样?”

“He’s younger than ever. He drank three champagne cocktails last night before dinner.”
“他比以往更年轻。昨晚在晚餐前喝了三杯香槟鸡尾酒。”

“How’s his billiard game?”
“他的台球技术如何?”

“Good. He beat me. When I told him you were here he was very pleased. There’s nobody here for him to play with.”
“不错。他赢了我。当我告诉他你在这里时,他很高兴。这里没有人和他一起玩。”

Count Greffi was ninety-four years old. He had been a contemporary of Metternich and was an old man with white hair and mustache and beautiful manners. —
“格雷菲伯爵已经九十四岁了。他曾经是梅特涅里希的同辈,是一个头发和胡子花白、举止优雅的老人。” —

He had been in the diplomatic service of both Austria and Italy and his birthday parties were the great social event of Milan. He was living to be one hundred years old and played a smoothly fluent game of billiards that contrasted with his own ninety-four-year-old brittleness. —
“他曾在奥地利和意大利的外交服务中工作过,他的生日聚会是米兰的一大社交盛事。他活到一百岁,打一场顺畅流畅的台球对比他那已有九十四岁的脆弱身体。” —

I had met him when I had been at Stresa once before out of season and while we played billiards we drank champagne. —
“我曾经在斯特雷萨的旺季外见过他,我们一边打台球一边喝香槟。” —

I thought it was a splendid custom and he gave me fifteen points in a hundred and beat me.
“我觉得这是一个很棒的习惯,他给了我一百分中的十五分并赢了我。”

“Why didn’t you tell me he was here?”
“为什么你不告诉我他在这里?”

“I forgot it.”
“我忘了。”

“Who else is here?”
“这里还有谁?”

“No one you know. There are only six people altogether.”
“你认识的人一个都没有。总共只有六个人。”

“What are you doing now?”
“你现在在干什么?”

“Nothing.”
“什么都不做。”

“Come on out fishing.”
“我们出去钓鱼吧。”

“I could come for an hour.”
“我可以来一个小时。”

“Come on. Bring the trolling line.”
“来吧。带上拖曳线。”

The barman put on a coat and we went out. —
酒吧里的服务员穿上外套,然后我们出去了。 —

We went down and got a boat and I rowed while the barman sat in the stern and let out the line with a spinner and a heavy sinker on the end to troll for lake trout. —
我们下到湖边,拿了一艘小船,我划着船,而服务员坐在船尾,用一个带有旋转器和重型坠子的线在水中拖曳,寻找湖鳟鱼。 —

We rowed along the shore, the barman holding the line in his hand and giving it occasional jerks forward. —
我们沿着岸边划行,服务员手里拿着线,偶尔向前猛拉一下。 —

Stresa looked very deserted from the lake. —
从湖上看,斯特雷萨看起来非常荒凉。 —

There were the long rows of bare trees, the big hotels and the closed villas. —
那里有一排排光秃秃的树木,高大的酒店和关闭的别墅。 —

I rowed across to Isola Bella and went close to the walls, where the water deepened sharply, and you saw the rock wall slanting down in the clear water, and then up and along to the fisherman’s island. —
我划到了美丽岛对面,靠近岸边,那里水深急剧增加,你可以看到清澈的水中倾斜的岩壁,然后延伸至渔夫岛。 —

The sun was under a cloud and the water was dark and smooth and very cold. —
太阳被云层遮住,水很暗,平静而非常冰冷。 —

We did not have a strike though we saw some circles on the water from rising fish.
虽然我们看到一些鱼在水面上涌动,但我们并没有钓到鱼。

I rowed up opposite the fisherman’s island where there were boats drawn up and men were mending nets.
我划到了渔夫岛对面,那里有停靠的船只,有人在修补渔网。

“Should we get a drink?”
“我们去喝一杯吗?”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I brought the boat up to the stone pier and the barman pulled in the line, coiling it on the bottom of the boat and hooking the spinner on the edge of the gunwale. —
我把船靠近石码头,服务员将线收好,盘在船底,然后把旋转器挂在船舷边缘。 —

I stepped out and tied the boat. We went into a little caf? —
我走下船,把船系好。我们走进一个小咖啡馆。 —

sat at a bare wooden table and ordered vermouth.
坐在一个光秃的木桌子旁,点了杜松子酒。

“Are you tired from rowing?”
“划船累吗?”

“I’ll row back,” he said.
“我会划回去,”他说。

“I like to row.”
“我喜欢划船。”

“Maybe if you hold the line it will change the luck.”
“也许如果你拉着线,运气会改变。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Tell me how goes the war.”
“告诉我战争进行得怎么样.”

“Rotten.”
“糟糕.”

“I don’t have to go. I’m too old, like Count Greffi.”
“我不用去。我太老了,就像格雷菲伯爵一样.”

“Maybe you’ll have to go yet.”
“也许你还得去.”

“Next year they’ll call my class. But I won’t go.”
“明年他们会召集我的那一届。但我不会去.”

“What will you do?”
“你打算做什么?”

“Get out of the country. I wouldn’t go to war. —
“离开这个国家。我可不想去参加战争.” —

I was at the war once in Abyssinia. Nix. Why do you go?”
“我曾经在阿比西尼亚参加过战争。一无所获。你为什么去?”

“I don’t know. I was a fool.”
“我不知道。我真是个傻瓜.”

“Have another vermouth?”
“再来一杯苦艾酒?”

“All right.”
“好的.”

The barman rowed back. We trolled up the lake beyond Stresa and then down not far from shore. —
酒吧老板划着船。我们在斯特雷萨湖上游荡,然后在离岸不远处划回来. —

I held the taut line and felt the faint pulsing of the spinner revolving while I looked at the dark November water of the lake and the deserted shore. —
我拉着拉紧的鱼线,感受到旋转假饵微弱的脉动,同时看着黑暗的十一月份湖水和荒废的岸边. —

The barman rowed with long strokes and on the forward thrust of the boat the line throbbed. —
酒吧老板用长桨划着船,船向前推进时,鱼线颤抖着. —

Once I had a strike: the line hardened suddenly and jerked back. —
一次我有了收获:鱼线突然绷紧然后猛地后退. —

I pulled and felt the live weight of the trout and then the line throbbed again. I had missed him.
我拉紧了,感受到了鳟鱼的活生生的重量,然后钓线再次跳动。我错过了他。

“Did he feel big?”
“他感觉很大吗?”

“Pretty big.”
“相当大。”

“Once when I was out trolling alone I had the line in my teeth and one struck and nearly took my mouth out.”
“有一次我独自出去拖鱼时,钓线在我嘴里,一条鱼上钩时几乎把我的嘴巴给撕裂了。”

“The best way is to have it over your leg,” I said. “Then you feel it and don’t lose your teeth.”
“最好的方法是把它搁在大腿上,”我说。“这样你就能感觉到,而不会丢掉你的牙齿。”

I put my hand in the water. It was very cold. We were almost opposite the hotel now.
我把手放进水里。水很冷。现在我们几乎就在酒店对面了。

“I have to go in,” the barman said, “to be there for eleven o’clock. L’heure du cocktail.”
“我得进去了,”酒吧老板说,“要十一点前在那里。调酒的时间。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I pulled in the line and wrapped it on a stick notched at each end. —
我收起钓线,缠在一根两端有刻痕的棍子上。 —

The barman put the boat in a little slip in the stone wall and locked it with a chain and padlock.
酒吧老板把小船停在石墙上的一个小槽里,用链条和挂锁锁住了。

“Any time you want it,” he said, “I’ll give you the key.”
“你什么时候需要,”他说,“我给你钥匙。”

“Thanks.”
“谢谢。”

We went up to the hotel and into the bar. —
我们走进了酒店的酒吧。 —

I did not want another drink so early in the morning so I went up to our room. —
我不想在早上这么早再喝一杯,所以我上了我们的房间。 —

The maid had just finished doing the room and Catherine was not back yet. —
女佣刚打扫完房间,凯瑟琳还没有回来。 —

I lay down on the bed and tried to keep from thinking.
我躺在床上,试图不去想。

When Catherine came back it was all right again. —
当凯瑟琳回来时,一切又恢复正常了。 —

Ferguson was downstairs, she said. She was coming to lunch.
她说弗格森在楼下,她要来吃午餐。

“I knew you wouldn’t mind,” Catherine said.
“我知道你不会介意的,”凯瑟琳说。

“No,” I said.
“是的,”我说。

“What’s the matter, darling?”
“怎么了,亲爱的?”

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“I know. You haven’t anything to do. All you have is me and I go away.”
“我知道。你没事可做。你只有我,而我又要离开。”

“That’s true.”
“那是真的。”

“I’m sorry, darling. I know it must be a dreadful feeling to have nothing at all suddenly.”
“对不起,亲爱的。我知道突然间什么都没有一定让你感觉糟糕。”

“My life used to be full of everything,” I said. —
“过去我的生活充满了各种事情。” —

“Now if you aren’t with me I haven’t a thing in the world.”
“现在如果没有你在我身边,我世界上一无所有。”

“But I’ll be with you. I was only gone for two hours. Isn’t there anything you can do?”
“但我会和你在一起。我只是离开了两个小时。你难道没有任何事情可做吗?”

“I went fishing with the barman.”
“我和吧台的侍者去钓鱼了。”

“Wasn’t it fun?”
“好玩吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Don’t think about me when I’m not here.”
“不要在我不在的时候想着我。”

“That’s the way I worked it at the front. But there was something to do then.”
“我在前线就是这么工作的。但那时还有事情可做。”

“Othello with his occupation gone,” she teased.
“她戏弄着说,奥赛罗的工作没了。”

“Othello was a nigger,” I said. “Besides, I’m not jealous. —
“奥赛罗是个黑人,”我说。“况且,我并不嫉妒。” —

I’m just so in love with you that there isn’t anything else.”
“我只是太爱你了,别的事情都无关紧要。”

“Will you be a good boy and be nice to Ferguson?”
“你能乖乖地对费格森好吗?”

“I’m always nice to Ferguson unless she curses me.”
“我总是对费格森很好,除非她咒骂我。”

“Be nice to her. Think how much we have and she hasn’t anything.”
“对她好一点。想想我们拥有的,而她一无所有。”

“I don’t think she wants what we have.”
“我觉得她并不想要我们拥有的。”

“You don’t know much, darling, for such a wise boy.”
“亲爱的,你并不懂很多。”

“I’ll be nice to her.”
“我会对她好的。”

“I know you will. You’re so sweet.”
“我知道你会。你是如此甜蜜。”

“She won’t stay afterward, will she?”
“她会留下来吗?”

“No. I’ll get rid of her.”
“不会。我会把她打发走。”

“And then we’ll come up here.”
“然后我们会走到这里来。”

“Of course. What do you think I want to do?”
“当然。你觉得我想做什么?”

We went downstairs to have lunch with Ferguson. —
我们下楼和弗格森一起吃午餐。 —

She was very impressed by the hotel and the splendor of the dining-room. —
她对酒店和豪华的餐厅印象深刻。 —

We had a good lunch with a couple of bottles of white capri. —
我们用了几瓶白卡普里,吃了一顿很不错的午餐。 —

Count Greffi came into the dining-room and bowed to us. —
格雷菲伯爵走进餐厅向我们鞠躬。 —

His niece, who looked a little like my grandmother, was with him. —
他的侄女看起来有点像我的祖母,跟着他一起来了。 —

I told Catherine and Ferguson about him and Ferguson was very impressed. —
我跟凯瑟琳和弗格森介绍了他,弗格森印象深刻。 —

The hotel was very big and grand and empty but the food was good, the wine was very pleasant and finally the wine made us all feel very well. —
酒店非常大、豪华、空旷,但食物很好,葡萄酒很宜人,我们最后都感觉很好。 —

Catherine had no need to feel any better. She was very happy. Ferguson became quite cheerful. —
凯瑟琳不需要感觉更好了,她很开心。弗格森变得相当开心。 —

I felt very well myself. After lunch Ferguson went back to her hotel. —
我自己也感觉很好。午餐后,弗格森回到她的酒店。 —

She was going to lie down for a while after lunch she said.
她说午饭后会躺下一会儿。

Along late in the afternoon some one knocked on our door.
傍晚时分有人敲了我们的门。

“Who is it?”
“谁啊?”

“The Count Greffi wishes to know if you will play billiards with him.”
“格雷菲伯爵想知道你们愿不愿意和他一起打台球。”

I looked at my watch; I had taken it off and it was under the pillow.
我看了看手表;我把它摘下来放在枕头下面。

“Do you have to go, darling?” Catherine whispered.
“亲爱的,你必须走吗?” 凯瑟琳低声说。

“I think I’d better.” The watch was a quarter-past four o’clock. —
“我想我最好走了。” 手表指向四点一刻。 —

Out loud I said, “Tell the Count Greffi I will be in the billiard-room at five o’clock.”
大声说道,“告诉格雷菲伯爵,我会五点在台球室里。”

At a quarter to five I kissed Catherine good-by and went into the bathroom to dress. —
快到五点的时候,我吻了吻凯瑟琳,走进浴室换衣服。 —

Knotting my tie and looking in the glass I looked strange to myself in the civilian clothes. —
打好领带,照镜子里,我觉得自己穿上便服显得很陌生。 —

I must remember to buy some more shirts and socks.
必须记得买些新衬衣和袜子。

“Will you be away a long time?” Catherine asked. —
“你会离开很久吗?” 凯瑟琳问。 —

She looked lovely in the bed. “Would you hand me the brush?”
她盖在床上看起来很可爱。“能把刷子递给我吗?”

I watched her brushing her hair, holding her head so the weight of her hair all came on one side. —
我看着她梳理头发,让头发的重量全部压在一边。 —

It was dark outside and the light over the head of the bed shone on her hair and on her neck and shoulders. —
外面已经很黑了,床头灯光照在她的头发、脖子和肩膀上。 —

I went over and kissed her and held her hand with the brush and her head sunk back on the pillow. —
我走过去吻了她,握着她拿着刷子的手,她的头沉沉地落在枕头上。 —

I kissed her neck and shoulders. I felt faint with loving her so much.
我吻她的脖子和肩膀。我因为如此爱她而感到昏眩。

“I don’t want to go away.”
“我不想离开。”

“I don’t want you to go away.”
“我也不想你离开。”

“I won’t go then.”
“那我就不去了。”

“Yes. Go. It’s only for a little while and then you’ll come back.” “We’ll have dinner up here.”
“对,去吧。只是稍微一下,然后你就回来了。” “我们在这里吃晚餐吧。”

“Hurry and come back.”
“快点回来。”

I found the Count Greffi in the billiard-room. —
我在台球室找到了格雷菲伯爵。 —

He was practising strokes, looking very fragile under the light that came down above the billiard table. —
他正在练习击球,在台球桌上方的灯光下看起来很虚弱。 —

On a card table a little way beyond the light was a silver icing-bucket with the necks and corks of two champagne bottles showing above the ice. —
在一张牌桌上稍远的地方,有一个银色的冰桶,两瓶香槟的瓶颈和软木塞露出在冰块上方。 —

The Count Greffi straightened up when I came toward the table and walked toward me. —
格雷菲伯爵在我走向桌子时站直了身子,走向我。 —

He put out his hand, “It is such a great pleasure that you are here. —
他伸出手,“你来这里真是太高兴了。 —

You were very kind to come to play with me.”
你来和我一起玩真是太好了。”

“It was very nice of you to ask me.”
“你邀请我来真是太好了。”

“Are you quite well? They told me you were wounded on the Isonzo. I hope you are well again.”
“你身体好吗?他们告诉我你在伊索诺受伤了。希望你已经康复。”

“I’m very well. Have you been well?”
“我很好。您身体一直都好吗?”

“Oh, I am always well. But I am getting old. I detect signs of age now.”
“哦,我一直很好。但我已经老了。现在我发现老年的迹象了。”

“I can’t believe it.”
“我简直不敢相信。”

“Yes. Do you want to know one? It is easier for me to talk Italian. —
“是的。你想知道一个迹象吗?我现在更容易说意大利语了。” —

I discipline myself but I find when I am tired that it is so much easier to talk Italian. —
我自律的时候,发现当我疲惫时,说意大利语会更容易。 —

So I know I must be getting old.”
所以我知道我一定老了。

“We could talk Italian. I am a little tired, too.”
“我们可以说意大利语。我也有点累了。”

“Oh, but when you are tired it will be easier for you to talk English.”
“哦,但是当你累的时候,说英语会更容易些。”

“American.”
“美国话。”

“Yes. American. You will please talk American. It is a delightful language.”
“是的。美国话。请说美国话。这是一种美妙的语言。”

“I hardly ever see Americans.”
“我很少见到美国人。”

“You must miss them. One misses one’s countrymen and especially one’s countrywomen. —
“你一定很想念他们。一个人会想念自己的同胞,特别是同胞女性。” —

I know that experience. Should we play or are you too tired?”
我懂这种感受。我们要打牌吗?还是你太累了?

“I’m not really tired. I said that for a joke. What handicap will you give me?”
“我并不真的累。我只是开个玩笑。你给我什么让步分数?”

“Have you been playing very much?”
“你最近打过很多吗?”

“None at all.”
“一点都没打过。”

“You play very well. Ten points in a hundred?”
“你打得很好。百分之十分?”

“You flatter me.”
“你过奖了我。”

“Fifteen?”
“十五分?”

“That would be fine but you will beat me.”
“那挺好的,但您会打败我。”

“Should we play for a stake? You always wished to play for a stake.”
“我们要不要加赌注呢?你总是想要加赌注玩的。”

“I think we’d better.”
“我想我们最好加一点吧。”

“All right. I will give you eighteen points and we will play for a franc a point.”
“好吧。我给你十八分,我们每分下一法郎。”

He played a lovely game of billiards and with the handicap I was only four ahead at fifty. Count Greffi pushed a button on the wall to ring for the barman.
他打了一场漂亮的台球比赛,加上我给的让分,我只领先了四分,在五十分时。格雷菲伯爵按了墙上的按钮叫侍者过来。

“Open one bottle please,” he said. Then to me, “We will take a little stimulant.” —
“请打开一瓶,”他说。然后对我说,”我们来喝点提神的酒吧。” —

The wine was icy cold and very dry and good.
这酒又凉又干,非常好喝。

“Should we talk Italian? Would you mind very much? It is my weakness now.”
“我们说意大利语好吗?你在意吗?这现在是我的弱点。”

We went on playing, sipping the wine between shots, speaking in Italian, but talking little, concentrated on the game. —
我们继续比赛,杯盘中间喝着酒,说着意大利语,但很少交谈,都专注在比赛上。 —

Count Greffi made his one hundredth point and with the handicap I was only at ninety-four. —
格雷菲伯爵拿到了一百分,我连着我给的让分才九十四分。 —

He smiled and patted me on the shoulder.
他微笑着拍了拍我的肩膀。

“Now we will drink the other bottle and you will tell me about the war.” —
“现在我们喝另一瓶,你跟我讲讲战争吧。” —

He waited for me to sit down.
他等我坐下。

“About anything else,” I said.
“或者讲讲其他事情,“我说。

“You don’t want to talk about it? Good. What have you been reading?”
“你不想谈论战争吗?好的。你最近读了些什么书?”

“Nothing,” I said. “I’m afraid I am very dull.”
“什么也没有,”我说。“恐怕我很沉闷。”

“No. But you should read.”
“不过你应该读书。”

“What is there written in war-time?”
“战时写了些什么?

“There is ‘Le Feu’ by a Frenchman, Barbusse. There is ‘Mr. Britling Sees Through It.”
“有一本是法国人巴尔比斯写的《火》,还有《布林先生洞察一切》。

“No, he doesn’t.”
“不,他并没有。”

“What?”
“什么?”

“He doesn’t see through it. Those books were at the hospital.”
“他并没有洞察一切。那些书都在医院里。”

“Then you have been reading?”
“那你读过吗?”

“Yes, but nothing any good.”
“是的,但没什么有意义的。”

“I thought ‘Mr. Britling’ a very good study of the English middle-class soul.”
“我认为《布林先生》是对英国中产阶级灵魂的很好的研究。”

“I don’t know about the soul.”
“我不了解灵魂。”

“Poor boy. We none of us know about the soul. Are you Croyant?”
“可怜的孩子,我们谁都不了解灵魂。你信教吗?”

“At night.”
“晚上信。”

Count Greffi smiled and turned the glass with his fingers. —
格雷菲伯爵微笑着用手指转动着杯子。 —

“I had expected to become more devout as I grow older but somehow I haven’t,” he said. —
“我本来以为随着年龄增长我会变得更虔诚,但不知怎的,我并没有,”他说。 —

“It is a great pity.”
“这真是一大遗憾。”

“Would you like to live after death?” I asked and instantly felt a fool to mention death. —
“你想在死后继续生活吗?” 我问道,瞬间感到自己在提到死亡时显得很傻。 —

But he did not mind the word.
但他并不在意这个词。

“It would depend on the life. This life is very pleasant. —
“这取决于生活。这个生活是非常愉快的。 —

I would like to live forever,” he smiled. —
我想要永远活着,”他微笑着说。 —

“I very nearly have.”
“我几乎已经做到了。”

We were sitting in the deep leather chairs, the champagne in the ice-bucket and our glasses on the table between us.
我们坐在深色皮革椅子上,冰桶里有香槟,我们的酒杯放在我们之间的桌子上。

“If you ever live to be as old as I am you will find many things strange.”
“如果你活到我这把年纪,你会发现很多事情很奇怪。”

“You never seem old.”
“你看起来一点也不老。”

“It is the body that is old. Sometimes I am afraid I will break off a finger as one breaks a stick of chalk. —
“这是身体老了。有时候我害怕会像断掉一截粉笔那样断掉一根手指。 —

And the spirit is no older and not much wiser.”
而精神并没有变老,也不太聪明。”

“You are wise.”
“你很聪明。”

“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“不,这是一个巨大的谬误;老人的智慧。他们并不变得聪明。他们只变得小心谨慎。”

“Perhaps that is wisdom.”
“也许这就是智慧。”

“It is a very unattractive wisdom. What do you value most?”
“这是一种非常不吸引人的智慧。你最看重什么?”

“Some one I love.”
“我爱的人。”

“With me it is the same. That is not wisdom. Do you value life?”
“对我来说也一样。那不是智慧。你珍惜生命吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“So do I. Because it is all I have. And to give birthday parties,” he laughed. —
“我也是。因为这是我拥有的一切。还有举办生日聚会,”他笑了。 —

“You are probably wiser than I am. You do not give birthday parties.”
“你可能比我更明智。你不举办生日聚会。”

We both drank the wine.
我们一起喝酒。

“What do you think of the war really?” I asked.
“你真正认为这场战争怎么样?”我问道。

“I think it is stupid.”
“我觉得很愚蠢。”

“Who will win it?”
“谁会赢得这场战争?”

“Italy.”
“意大利。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“They are a younger nation.”
“他们是一个年轻的国家。”

“Do younger nations always win wars?”
“年轻的国家总是赢得战争吗?”

“They are apt to for a time.”
“他们倾向于在某段时间内会赢得。”

“Then what happens?”
“那接下来会发生什么?”

“They become older nations.”
“它们变成了老龄国家。”

“You said you were not wise.”
“你说你不是聪明的。”

“Dear boy, that is not wisdom. That is cynicism.”
“亲爱的孩子,那不是智慧。那是愤世嫉俗。”

“It sounds very wise to me.”
“在我看来,这听起来很明智。”

“It’s not particularly. I could quote you the examples on the other side. —
“它并不特别明智。我可以向你举出相反的例子。” —

But it is not bad. Have we finished the champagne?”
“但它也不错。我们喝完香槟了吗?”

“Almost.”
“几乎了。”

“Should we drink some more? Then I must dress.”
“我们要不要再喝点?然后我得换衣服。”

“Perhaps we’d better not now.”
“也许现在最好不要了。”

“You are sure you don’t want more?”
“你确定你不想再喝点吗?”

“Yes.” He stood up.
“是的。”他站起来。

“I hope you will be very fortunate and very happy and very, very healthy.”
“我希望你会非常幸福、非常快乐、非常健康。”

“Thank you. And I hope you will live forever.”
“谢谢。我也希望你能永远活着。”

“Thank you. I have. And if you ever become devout pray for me if I am dead. —
“谢谢。我有过。如果我去世了,你要向上帝祈祷我。” —

I am asking several of my friends to do that. —
我已经请了几个朋友这么做。 —

I had expected to become devout myself but it has not come.” —
我本来期望自己会变得虔诚,但却没有实现。 —

I thought he smiled sadly but I could not tell. —
我觉得他哀伤地微笑了,但我无法确定。 —

He was so old and his face was very wrinkled, so that a smile used so many lines that all gradations were lost.
他太老了,脸上皱纹很多,以至于微笑会用掉很多条纹,使得所有细微差别也都消失了。

“I might become very devout,” I said. “Anyway, I will pray for you.”
“也许我会变得很虔诚,“我说。”无论如何,我会为你祈祷。”

“I had always expected to become devout. All my family died very devout. —
“我一直都期望自己会变得虔诚。我家里的人都非常虔诚地去世了。” —

But somehow it does not come.”
但某种方式,它却没有出现。

“It’s too early.”
“现在还太早。”

“Maybe it is too late. Perhaps I have outlived my religious feeling.”
“也许是太迟了。或许我已经失去了宗教感觉。”

“My own comes only at night.”
“我的感觉只在夜里出现。”

“Then too you are in love. Do not forget that is a religious feeling.”
“那也是你坠入爱河了。不要忘记那也是一种宗教感觉。”

“You believe so?”
“你这样认为吗?”

“Of course.” He took a step toward the table. “You were very kind to play.”
“当然。” 他走向桌子靠近了一步。“你刚才的表演很友善。”

“It was a great pleasure.”
“我很享受的。”

“We will walk up stairs together.”
“我们一起走上楼。”