That fall the snow came very late. We lived in a brown wooden house in the pine trees on the side of the mountain and at night there was frost so that there was thin ice over the water in the two pitchers on the dresser in the morning. —
那年秋季,雪来得很晚。我们住在山腰松树丛中的一座棕色木屋里,夜间结霜,早晨梳妆台上的两个水罐上覆盖着薄冰。 —

Mrs. Guttingen came into the room early in the morning to shut the windows and started a fire in the tall porcelain stove. —
古廷根夫人一大早走进房间关上窗户,在高高的瓷炉里生起了火。 —

The pine wood crackled and sparked and then the fire roared in the stove and the second time Mrs. Guttingen came into the room she brought big chunks of wood for the fire and a pitcher of hot water. —
松木噼啪作响,火光四溅,第二次古廷根夫人进来时,她带来了火炉用的大块木头和一壶热水。 —

When the room was warm she brought in breakfast. —
房间暖和起来后,她端来了早餐。 —

Sitting up in bed eating breakfast we could see the lake and the mountains across the lake on the French side. —
我们坐在床上吃早餐,可以看见湖和对面法国山脉的景色。 —

There was snow on the tops of the mountains and the lake was a gray steel-blue.
山顶上积了雪,湖水呈灰蓝色。

Outside, in front of the chalet a road went up the mountain. —
在小屋前面有一条上山的公路。 —

The wheel ruts and ridges were iron hard with the frost, and the road climbed steadily through the forest and up and around the mountain to where there were meadows, and barns and cabins in the meadows at the edge of the woods looking across the valley. —
随着结冰,车辙和路面坑洼变得坚硬如铁,公路穿过森林,蜿蜒而上,绕过山坡,至草甸地带,那里有晒场、谷仓和在树林边、眺望山谷的小屋。 —

The valley was deep and there was a stream at the bottom that flowed down into the lake and when the wind blew across the valley you could hear the stream in the rocks.
山谷很深,底部有一条流向湖边的小溪,当风吹过山谷,你能听到溪水在岩石间流淌的声音。

Sometimes we went off the road and on a path through the pine forest. —
有时我们会走离公路,走上松树林中的小径。 —

The floor of the forest was soft to walk on; the frost did not harden it as it did the road. —
森林的地面很柔软,霜冻并没有让它变硬像公路那样。 —

But we did not mind the hardness of the road because we had nails in the soles and heels of our boots and the heel nails bit on the frozen ruts and with nailed boots it was good walking on the road and invigorating. —
但是我们不介意公路的坚硬,因为我们的靴子的鞋底和鞋跟上都钉着钉子,鞋跟上的钉子在结冰车辙上打着,并且有了坚固的靴子,沿着公路行走令人神清气爽。 —

But it was lovely walking in the woods.
但走进森林更加美好。

In front of the house where we lived the mountain went down steeply to the little plain along the lake and we sat on the porch of the house in the sun and saw the winding of the road down the mountain-side and the terraced vineyards on the side of the lower mountain, the vines all dead now for the winter and the fields divided by stone walls, and below the vineyards the houses of the town on the narrow plain along the lake shore. —
我们住的房子前面的山往下陡峭地延伸到湖边的小平原,我们坐在房子的门廊上晒太阳,看着盘旋下山腰的公路,下面是山腰上的梯田,如今所有的葡萄藤都在这冬天里凋零,田地由石墙分隔,葡萄园下面是沿湖边狭窄平原上的小镇房屋。 —

There was an island with two trees on the lake and the trees looked like the double sails of a fishing-boat. —
湖上有一座有两棵树的小岛,那两棵树看起来像渔船的双帆。 —

The mountains were sharp and steep on the other side of the lake and down at the end of the lake was the plain of the Rhone Valley flat between the two ranges of mountains; —
湖水对岸的山峰又高又陡,湖尽头是隆河谷地的平原,两侧是两排山脉; —

and up the valley where the mountains cut it off was the Dent du Midi. It was a high snowy mountain and it dominated the valley but it was so far away that it did not make a shadow.
山谷深处挡住视线的是戴米迪山。那座高耸的雪山屹立在山谷中心,但距离很遥远,没有投下影子。

When the sun was bright we ate lunch on the porch but the rest of the time we ate upstairs in a small room with plain wooden walls and a big stove in the corner. —
阳光明媚时我们在门廊上吃午餐,其他时间则在楼上一个简陋木墙和大炉子角落的小房间用餐。 —

We bought books and magazines in the town and a copy of “Hoyle” and learned many two-handed card games. —
我们在小镇上买了书和杂志,还买了一本《霍伊尔》,学会了很多两人玩的牌类游戏。 —

The small room with the stove was our living-room. —
这个有大炉子的小房间是我们的客厅。 —

There were two comfortable chairs and a table for books and magazines and we played cards on the dining-table when it was cleared away. —
有两把舒适的椅子和一张书桌,还有当我们收拾干净后用来玩牌的餐桌。 —

Mr. and Mrs. Guttingen lived downstairs and we would hear them talking sometimes in the evening and they were very happy together too. —
古廷根先生和夫人住在楼下,晚上我们有时能听到他们在聊天,他们也很幸福。 —

He had been a headwaiter and she had worked as maid in the same hotel and they had saved their money to buy this place. —
他曾是一名领班,她在同一家酒店当女佣,他们存钱买了这个地方。 —

They had a son who was studying to be a headwaiter. He was at a hotel in Zurich. —
他们有一个儿子正在学习如何成为领班,在苏黎世的一家酒店工作。 —

Downstairs there was a parlor where they sold wine and beer, and sometimes in the evening we would hear carts stop outside on the road and men come up the steps to go in the parlor to drink wine.
楼下有个客厅卖酒和啤酒,有时晚上我们会听到马车在外面停下,有人上楼梯进客厅喝酒。

There was a box of wood in the hall outside the living-room and I kept up the fire from it. —
走廊外有一箱木头,我用它给炉子上点火。 —

But we did not stay up very late. We went to bed in the dark in the big bedroom and when I was undressed I opened the windows and saw the night and the cold stars and the pine trees below the window and then got into bed as fast as I could. —
但我们并没有熬夜。我们在有着大床的卧室里黑暗中上床,脱了衣服我打开窗户看着外面的夜晚和寒冷的星星和窗外的松树,然后迅速钻进被窝。 —

It was lovely in bed with the air so cold and clear and the night outside the window. —
躺在床上,外面的夜晚空气清冽。 —

We slept well and if I woke in the night I knew it was from only one cause and I would shift the feather bed over, very softly so that Catherine would not be wakened and then go back to sleep again, warm and with the new lightness of thin covers. —
我们睡得很好,如果半夜醒来,唯一的原因是因为一种感觉,轻轻地移动羽绒被,让凯瑟琳不会醒来,然后又睡去,暖和且被窝轻盈。 —

The war seemed as far away as the football games of some one else’s college. —
战争似乎和别人学院的橄榄球比赛一样遥远。 —

But I knew from the papers that they were still fighting in the mountains because the snow would not come.
但是我从报纸上知道,他们仍然在山上作战,因为雪还没有到来。

Sometimes we walked down the mountain into Montreux. —
有时候我们走下山进入蒙特勒。 —

There was a path went down the mountain but it was steep and so usually we took the road and walked down on the wide hard road between fields and then below between the stone walls of the vineyards and on down between the houses of the villages along the way. —
有一条小路通往山下,但很陡,所以通常我们走宽阔的硬路,穿过田野,然后在葡萄园的石墙间下山,在沿途的村庄之间继续下行。 —

There were three villages; Chernex, Fontanivent, and the other I forget. —
有三个村庄;切尔内克斯,方唐尼文特,还有一个我忘了的。 —

Then along the road we passed an old square-built stone ch鈚eau on a ledge on the side of the mountain-side with the terraced fields of vines, each vine tied to a stick to hold it up, the vines dry and brown and the earth ready for the snow and the lake down below flat and gray as steel. —
然后沿着路我们经过一个旧的方形石头建造的城堡,位于山腰一块悬崖上,周围是梯田般的葡萄园,每棵藤都系在棍子上支撑着,枯黄的葡萄树和为雪做好准备的土地,下面是平静的灰色如同金属的湖水。 —

The road went down a long grade below the ch鈚eau and then turned to the right and went down very steeply and paved with cobbles, into Montreux.
车道下坡经过城堡下方,然后向右转弯,非常陡峭,用鹅卵石铺成,直奔蒙特勒。

We did not know any one in Montreux. We walked along beside the lake and saw the swans and the many gulls and terns that flew up when you came close and screamed while they looked down at the water. —
我们在蒙特勒不认识任何人。我们沿着湖边走,并看到天鹅以及在靠近时飞起并尖叫并注视水面的许多海鸥和燕鸥。 —

Out on the lake there were flocks of grebes, small and dark, and leaving trails in the water when they swam.
湖上有一群群的小而暗的䴙䴘,在游泳时在水面留下痕迹。

In the town we walked along the main street and looked in the windows of the shops. —
在镇上我们沿着主街走,并望着商店的橱窗。 —

There were many big hotels that were closed but most of the shops were open and the people were very glad to see us. —
有许多大饭店都关门了,但大多数商店都开着门,人们看到我们非常高兴。 —

There was a fine coiffeur’s place where Catherine went to have her hair done. —
有一家很好的理发店,凯瑟琳去那里弄头发。 —

The woman who ran it was very cheerful and the only person we knew in Montreux. —
经营这家店的女人非常乐观,她是我们在蒙特勒唯一认识的人。 —

While Catherine was there I went up to a beer place and drank dark Munich beer and read the papers. —
凯瑟琳在那里的时候,我去了一个啤酒馆,喝着深色的慕尼黑啤酒,看报纸。 —

I read the Corriere della Sera and the English and American papers from Paris. All the advertisements were blacked out, supposedly to prevent communication in that way with the enemy. —
我看了Corriere della Sera以及来自巴黎的英国和美国报纸。所有广告都被涂黑,据说是为了防止通过这种方式与敌人交流。 —

The papers were bad reading. Everything was going very badly everywhere. —
这些报纸读起来很糟糕。到处都在极为不顺利。 —

I sat back in the corner with a heavy mug of dark beer and an opened glazed-paper package of pretzels and ate the pretzels for the salty flavor and the good way they made the beer taste and read about disaster. —
我坐在角落里,手里拿着一大杯黑啤酒和一包打开的盒装椒盐脆饼干,吃这些脆饼干是为了那咸咸的味道,增添啤酒的美味,同时看着关于灾难的报纸。 —

I thought Catherine would come by but she did not come, so I hung the papers back on the rack, paid for my beer and went up the street to look for her. —
我以为凯瑟琳会过来,但她没有,于是我把报纸放回架子上,付了啤酒钱,然后沿着街道向前找她。 —

The day was cold and dark and wintry and the stone of the houses looked cold. —
这一天很冷,黑暗,冬天般刺骨寒冷,房子的石头看起来冰冷。 —

Catherine was still in the hairdresser’s shop. The woman was waving her hair. —
凯瑟琳还在发廊。那位女士正在为她理发。 —

I sat in the little booth and watched. It was exciting to watch and Catherine smiled and talked to me and my voice was a little thick from being excited. —
我坐在小包厢里观看。看着很刺激,凯瑟琳微笑着跟我说话,我说话有点儿激动。 —

The tongs made a pleasant clicking sound and I could see Catherine in three mirrors and it was pleasant and warm in the booth. —
钳子发出愉快的咔哒声,我可以在三面镜子里看到凯瑟琳,包厢里很舒服温暖。 —

Then the woman put up Catherine’s hair, and Catherine looked in the mirror and changed it a little, taking out and putting in pins; —
然后那女士把凯瑟琳的头发盘起来,凯瑟琳照了照镜子,稍微调整了一下,拔下又插上了发夹; —

then stood up. “I’m sorry to have taken such a long time.”
然后站起来。“抱歉占用您这么长时间。”

“Monsieur was very interested. Were you not, monsieur?” the woman smiled.
“先生很感兴趣。不是吗,先生?”女士微笑道。

“Yes,” I said.
“是的,”我说。

We went out and up the street. It was cold and wintry and the wind was blowing. —
我们出去,沿着街道向前走。天很冷,刺骨的寒风吹来。 —

“Oh, darling, I love you so,” I said.
“噢,亲爱的,我这么爱你,”我说。

“Don’t we have a fine time?” Catherine said. —
“我们过得真快乐,”凯瑟琳说。 —

“Look. Let’s go some place and have beer instead of tea. —
“看,我们去某个地方喝啤酒,而不是茶。 —

It’s very good for young Catherine. It keeps her small.”
这对小凯瑟琳很好。它让她保持瘦小。”

“Young Catherine,” I said. “That loafer.”
“小凯瑟琳,”我说。“那个懒汉。”

“She’s been very good,” Catherine said. “She makes very little trouble. —
“她一直很乖,”凯瑟琳说。“几乎不惹麻烦。” —

The doctor says beer will be good for me and keep her small.”
“医生说啤酒对我有好处,可以让她长得小一点。”

“If you keep her small enough and she’s a boy, maybe he will be a jockey.”
“如果你让她长得够小,而且是个男孩的话,也许他会成为骑师。”

“I suppose if we really have this child we ought to get married,” Catherine said. —
“我想如果我们真的要这个孩子,我们应该结婚,”凯瑟琳说。 —

We were in the beer place at the corner table. It was getting dark outside. —
我们在酒吧的角落桌上。外面已经渐渐黑了。 —

It was still early but the day was dark and the dusk was coming early.
虽然还早,但这天很暗,黄昏来得早。

“Let’s get married now,” I said.
“让我们现在结婚,”我说。

“No,” Catherine said. “It’s too embarrassing now. I show too plainly. —
“不,”凯瑟琳说。“现在太尴尬了。我已经很明显了。” —

I won’t go before any one and be married in this state.”
“我不想在这样的状态下去见任何人,结婚。”

“I wish we’d gotten married.”
“我希望我们早点结婚。”

“I suppose it would have been better. But when could we, darling?”
“我想应该更好的。但是亲爱的,我们什么时候能结婚呢?”

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“I know one thing. I’m not going to be married in this splendid matronly state.”
“我知道一件事。我不会在这样绝妙的已婚状态下结婚。”

“You’re not matronly.”
“你还没结婚呢。”

“Oh yes, I am, darling. The hairdresser asked me if this was our first. —
“是的,亲爱的。那位美发师问我这是我们的第一次。 —

I lied and said no, we had two boys and two girls.”
我撒了谎说不是,我们有两个男孩和两个女孩。”

“When will we be married?”
“我们什么时候结婚?”

“Any time after I’m thin again. We want to have a splendid wedding with every one thinking what a handsome young couple.”
“瘦回去之后随时都可以。我们想要一场华丽的婚礼,让每个人都觉得我们是一对英俊的年轻夫妇。”

“And you’re not worried?”
“你不担心吗?”

“Darling, why should I be worried? The only time I ever felt badly was when I felt like a whore in Milan and that only lasted seven minutes and besides it was the room furnishings. —
“亲爱的,我为什么要担心呢?我唯一感到不好的时候是在米兰感觉像个妓女,但那只持续了七分钟,而且那只是房间的家具。” —

Don’t I make you a good wife?”
“我是个好妻子吗?”

“You’re a lovely wife.”
“你是个可爱的妻子。”

“Then don’t be too technical, darling. I’ll marry you as soon as I’m thin again.”
“那么不要太技术含量,亲爱的。我瘦回去后马上就嫁给你。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Do you think I ought to drink another beer? —
“你觉得我应该再喝一杯啤酒吗?” —

The doctor said I was rather narrow in the hips and it’s all for the best if we keep young Catherine small.”
“医生说我臀部有点窄,让我们保持凯瑟琳保持小巧是最好的。”

“What else did he say?” I was worried.
“他还说了什么吗?”我有些担心。

“Nothing. I have a wonderful blood-pressure, darling. He admired my blood-pressure greatly.”
“没有。亲爱的,我的血压很好。他非常赞赏我的血压。”

“What did he say about you being too narrow in the hips?”
“他对你臀部太窄有什么看法?”

“Nothing. Nothing at all. He said I shouldn’t ski.”
“什么也没有。真的一无所知。他说我不应该滑雪。”

“Quite right.”
“完全正确。”

“He said it was too late to start if I’d never done it before. —
“他说如果我以前从未滑过雪,现在开始太晚了。” —

He said I could ski if I wouldn’t fall down.”
“他说我只要不摔倒就能滑雪。”

“He’s just a big-hearted joker.”
“他只是一个有爱心的开玩笑者。”

“Really he was very nice. We’ll have him when the baby comes.”
“真的,他非常友善。当宝宝出生时我们会找他。”

“Did you ask him if you ought to get married?”
“你问他是否应该结婚了吗?”

“No. I told him we’d been married four years. —
“没有。我告诉他我们已经结婚四年了。 —

You see, darling, if I marry you I’ll be an American and any time we’re married under American law the child is legitimate.”
你看,亲爱的,如果我嫁给你,我将成为美国人,根据美国法律,任何我们结婚时的孩子都是合法的。”

“Where did you find that out?”
“你是个了不起的女孩。”

“In the New York World Almanac in the library.”
“我在图书馆的纽约世界年鉴里查到的。”

“You’re a grand girl.”
“你是一个了不起的女孩。”

“I’ll be very glad to be an American and we’ll go to America won’t we, darling? —
“我非常高兴成为美国人,我们会去美国,对吧,亲爱的?我想看一看尼亚加拉瀑布。” —

I want to see Niagara Falls.”
“你是一个好女孩。”

“You’re a fine girl.”
“你是个好姑娘。”

“There’s something else I want to see but I can’t remember it.”
“还有一件我想看的东西,但我想不起来了。”

“The stockyards?”
“股市?”

“No. I can’t remember it.”
“不是。我想不起来了。”

“The Woolworth building?”
“华尔沃斯大厦?”

“No.”
“不是。”

“The Grand Canyon?”
“大峡谷?”

“No. But I’d like to see that.”
“不是。但我很想去看。”

“What was it?”
“那是什么?”

“The Golden Gate! That’s what I want to see. Where is the Golden Gate?”
“金门大桥!那才是我想看的。金门大桥在哪里?”

“San Francisco.”
“旧金山。”

“Then let’s go there. I want to see San Francisco anyway.”
“那我们去那里吧。我本来就想去看旧金山。”

“All right. We’ll go there.”
“好的。我们就去那里。”

“Now let’s go up the mountain. Should we? Can we get the M.O.B.?”
“现在我们上山吧。我们可以搭M.O.B吗?”

“There’s a train a little after five.”
“5点以后有一班火车。”

“Let’s get that.”
“那我们就赶去搭那一班。”

“All right. I’ll drink one more beer first.”
“好吧。我先喝一杯啤酒。”

When we went out to go up the street and climb the stairs to the station it was very cold. —
我们出门往上街走,爬上车站的楼梯的时候,天很冷。 —

A cold wind was coming down the Rhone Valley. —
一阵冷风从罗纳峡谷吹来。 —

There were lights in the shop windows and we climbed the steep stone stairway to the upper street, then up another stairs to the station. —
商店橱窗里亮着灯,我们爬上陡峭的石头楼梯,然后再往上走一段楼梯到车站。 —

The electric train was there waiting, all the lights on. There was a dial that showed when it left. —
电车在那里等着,所有的灯都开着。那里还有一个显示车辆出发时间的刻度盘。 —

The clock hands pointed to ten minutes after five. I looked at the station clock. —
时钟指向五点十分。我看了看车站的钟。 —

It was five minutes after. As we got on board I saw the motorman and conductor coming out of the station wine-shop. —
现在已经过了五分。我们上车的时候,我看到司机和售票员正走出车站的酒吧。 —

We sat down and opened the window. The train was electrically heated and stuffy but fresh cold air came in through the window.
我们坐下打开窗户。列车是电热的,闷热的空气中却吹进来些许清冷的空气。

“Are you tired, Cat?” I asked.
“你累了,Cat吗?”我问。

“No. I feel splendid.”
“没有。我感觉很精神。”

“It isn’t a long ride.”
“这不是个长途行程。”

“I like the ride,” she said. “Don’t worry about me, darling. I feel fine.”
“我喜欢这段旅程,”她说。 “别为我担心,亲爱的。我感觉很好。”

Snow did not come until three days before Christmas. We woke one morning and it was snowing. —
直到圣诞节前三天才下雪。一个早晨我们醒来的时候,外面正在下雪。 —

We stayed in bed with the fire roaring in the stove and watched the snow fall. —
我们躺在床上,炉子里熊熊燃烧着火,看着雪花飘落。 —

Mrs. Guttingen took away the breakfast trays and put more wood in the stove. —
古廷根太太把早餐托盘拿走,给火炉里加了些木柴。 —

It was a big snow storm. She said it had started about midnight. —
这场大雪暴开始于午夜左右。 —

I went to the window and looked out but could not see across the road. —
我走到窗前望出去,但看不见马路对面。 —

It was blowing and snowing wildly. I went back to bed and we lay and talked.
风雪交加,我回到床上和她聊了起来。

“I wish I could ski,” Catherine said. “It’s rotten not to be able to ski.”
“我希望我会滑雪,” 凯瑟琳说道。“不能滑雪真是太糟糕了。”

“We’ll get a bobsled and come down the road. That’s no worse for you than riding in a car.”
“我们可以买一个雪橇,在路上滑下来。对你来说也不会比坐车更糟糕。”

“Won’t it be rough?”
“会不会很颠簸?”

“We can see.”
“我们可以试试看。”

“I hope it won’t be too rough.”
“希望不会太颠簸。”

“After a while we’ll take a walk in the snow.”
“过会儿我们可以在雪地里散步。”

“Before lunch,” Catherine said, “so we’ll have a good appetite.”
“午饭前,” 凯瑟琳说,“这样我们就会有好胃口了。”

“I’m always hungry.”
“我总是饿。”

“So am I.”
“我也是。”

We went out in the snow but it was drifted so that we could not walk far. —
我们出门在雪地里行走,但雪堆得太高我们无法走得太远。 —

I went ahead and made a trail down to the station but when we reached there we had gone far enough. —
我走在前面,为我们开辟了一条到车站的道路,但走到那里时已经走了足够远。 —

The snow was blowing so we could hardly see and we went into the little inn by the station and swept each other off with a broom and sat on a bench and had vermouths.
风雪交加,我们几乎看不见,于是我们走进了车站旁边的小旅馆,用扫帚互相打扫干净,坐在长椅上喝着苦艾酒。

“It is a big storm,” the barmaid said.
“这是场大风暴。”酒吧女侍说道。

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“The snow is very late this year.”
“今年的雪来得很晚。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Could I eat a chocolate bar?” Catherine asked. “Or is it too close to lunch? I’m always hungry.”
凯瑟琳问道:“我能吃一块巧克力吗?还是太接近午餐时间了?我总是饿。”

“Go on and eat one,” I said.
“去吧,吃一块吧。”我说。

“I’ll take one with filberts,” Catherine said.
“我要一块加榛子的。”凯瑟琳说。

“They are very good,” the girl said, “I like them the best.”
“它们很好吃,”女孩说,“我最喜欢它们。”

“I’ll have another vermouth,” I said.
“我再来一杯杜松子酒,”我说。

When we came out to start back up the road our track was filled in by the snow. —
当我们出去准备返回路时,雪把我们的车辙填满了。 —

There were only faint indentations where the holes had been. —
只有淡淡的凹痕显示着曾经的痕迹。 —

The snow blew in our faces so we could hardly see. —
雪吹在我们脸上,我们几乎看不见了。 —

We brushed off and went in to have lunch. —
我们先吹掉雪,然后进去吃午餐。 —

Mr. Guttingen served the lunch.
古廷根先生端上了午餐。

“To-morrow there will be ski-ing,” he said. “Do you ski, Mr. Henry?”
“明天可以滑雪了,”他说,“亨利先生,您会滑雪吗?”

“No. But I want to learn.”
“不。但我想学习。”

“You will learn very easily. My boy will be here for Christmas and he will teach you.”
“你会学得很容易。我的孩子将在圣诞节来这里教你。”

“That’s fine. When does he come?”
“好的。他什么时候来?”

“To-morrow night.”
“明晚。”

When we were sitting by the stove in the little room after lunch looking out the window at the snow coming down Catherine said, “Wouldn’t you like to go on a trip somewhere by yourself, darling, and be with men and ski?”
午饭后,我们坐在小房间的火炉旁看着窗外下雪时,凯瑟琳说,”亲爱的,你不想一个人去旅行,和男人在一起滑雪吗?”

“No. Why should I?”
“不。为什么要呢?”

“I should think sometimes you would want to see other people besides me.”
“我想有时候你会想见见我以外的人。”

“Do you want to see other people?”
“你想见其他人吗?”

“No.”
“不。”

“Neither do I.”
“我也不想。”

“I know. But you’re different. I’m having a child and that makes me contented not to do anything. —
“我知道。但你不同。我怀孕了,这让我满足,不想做任何事。” —

I know I’m awfully stupid now and I talk too much and I think you ought to get away so you won’t be tired of me.”
我知道我现在非常愚蠢,说得太多了,我想你应该离开,这样你就不会厌倦我。”

“Do you want me to go away?”
“你想让我离开吗?”

“No. I want you to stay.”
“不,我希望你留下。”

“That’s what I’m going to do.”
“那就是我要做的。”

“Come over here,” she said. “I want to feel the bump on your head. It’s a big bump.” —
“过来,“她说道,“我想摸摸你头上的疙瘩。这是一个大疙瘩。” —

She ran her finger over it. “Darling, would you like to grow a beard?”
她用手指划过那个疙瘩。”亲爱的,你想留胡须吗?”

“Would you like me to?”
“你愿意吗?”

“It might be fun. I’d like to see you with a beard.”
“可能会挺有趣的。我想看看你留胡须是什么样子。”

“All right. I’ll grow one. I’ll start now this minute. —
“好吧。我会留的。我现在就开始。” —

It’s a good idea. It will give me something to do.”
“这是个好主意。这样我就有事情做了。”

“Are you worried because you haven’t anything to do?”
“你是不是担心没有事情做?”

“No. I like it. I have a fine life. Don’t you?”
“不。我喜欢这样。我过得很好。你呢?”

“I have a lovely life. But I was afraid because I’m big now that maybe I was a bore to you.”
“我过得很美好。但我担心因为我现在长大了,也许我对你来说有点无聊。”

“Oh, Cat. You don’t know how crazy I am about you.”
“哦,猫。你不知道我有多喜欢你。”

“This way?”
“是这条路吗?”

“Just the way you are. I have a fine time. Don’t we have a good life?”
“就像你现在这样。我们过得很好。我们有美好的生活,不是吗?”

“I do, but I thought maybe you were restless.”
“我过得不错,但我以为也许你会感到不安定。”

“No. Sometimes I wonder about the front and about people I know but I don’t worry. —
“不。有时我会想到前方和我认识的人,但我并不担心。” —

I don’t think about anything much.”
我并不怎么想什么。

“Who do you wonder about?”
你想知道谁?

“About Rinaldi and the priest and lots of people I know. —
我想知道关于Rinaldi和神父以及很多我认识的人。 —

But I don’t think about them much. I don’t want to think about the war. —
但我并不经常想。我不想要想到战争。 —

I’m through with it.”
我已经厌倦了。

“What are you thinking about now?”
你现在在想什么?

“Nothing.”
什么都没有。

“Yes you were. Tell me.”
是的,你在想什么。告诉我。

“I was wondering whether Rinaldi had the syphilis.”
我在想Rinaldi是否患梅毒。

“Was that all?”
就这些吗?

“Yes.”
是的。

“Has he the syphilis?”
他患了梅毒吗?

“I don’t know.”
我不知道。

“I’m glad you haven’t. Did you ever have anything like that?”
我很高兴你没有。你有过类似的病吗?

“I had gonorrhea.”
我得过淋病。

“I don’t want to hear about it. Was it very painful, darling?”
“我不想听。亲爱的,很疼吗?”

“Very.”
“很疼。”

“I wish I’d had it.”
“我希望我也得过。”

“No you don’t.”
“不,你不希望。”

“I do. I wish I’d had it to be like you. I wish I’d stayed with all your girls so I could make fun of them to you.”
“我希望我也得过,这样就能像你一样。我希望我留在你所有的女人身边,这样我就可以拿他们取笑。”

“That’s a pretty picture.”
“这是个美丽的画面。”

“It’s not a pretty picture you having gonorrhea.”
“你得过淋病,并不美丽。”

“I know it. Look at it snow now.”
“我知道。看,下雪了。”

“I’d rather look at you. Darling, why don’t you let your hair grow?”
“我宁愿看着你。亲爱的,为什么不让你的头发长长?”

“How grow?”
“长多长?”

“Just grow a little longer.”
“再长一点。”

“It’s long enough now.”
“现在已经够长了。”

“No, let it grow a little longer and I could cut mine and we’d be just alike only one of us blonde and one of us dark.”
“不,再长一点,这样我可以剪短我的头发,我们就会一模一样,只不过一个金发一个深色头发。”

“I wouldn’t let you cut yours.”
“我不会让你剪。”

“It would be fun. I’m tired of it. It’s an awful nuisance in the bed at night.”
“这会很有趣。我厌倦了。晚上睡觉时在床上很麻烦。”

“I like it.”
“我喜欢它。”

“Wouldn’t you like it short?”
“你不想把它弄短吗?”

“I might. I like it the way it is.”
“也许。我喜欢现在这样。”

“It might be nice short. Then we’d both be alike. —
“弄短也许挺好的。这样我们就会很像了。” —

Oh, darling, I want you so much I want to be you too.”
“哦,亲爱的,我如此想要你,我想成为你。”

“You are. We’re the same one.”
“你就是我。我们是同一个人。”

“I know it. At night we are.”
“我知道。在夜晚我们是。”

“The nights are grand.”
“夜晚很美好。”

“I want us to be all mixed up. I don’t want you to go away. I just said that. You go if you want to. —
“我希望我们变得混在一起。我不希望你离开。我只是说了一下。如果你想走就走吧。” —

But hurry right back. Why, darling, I don’t live at all when I’m not with you.”
“但是请快点回来。亲爱的,如果没有你我就活不下去。”

“I won’t ever go away,” I said. “I’m no good when you’re not there. —
“我永远不会离开你,”我说。 “当你不在我身边时,我就无法生存。” —

I haven’t any life at all any more.”
“我没有任何生活了。”

“I want you to have a life. I want you to have a fine life. But we’ll have it together, won’t we?”
“我希望你有自己的生活。我希望你过得很好。但是我们会一起的,是吧?”

“And now do you want me to stop growing my beard or let it go on?”
“那现在你想让我留胡子还是剃掉?”

“Go on. Grow it. It will be exciting. Maybe it will be done for New Year’s.”
“留着吧。让它继续长。会很刺激的。也许到了新年就能长齐了。”

“Now do you want to play chess?”
“现在你想下棋吗?”

“I’d rather play with you.”
“我宁愿和你玩。”

“No. Let’s play chess.”
“不。让我们下棋。”

“And afterward we’ll play?”
“之后我们再玩?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

I got out the chess-board and arranged the pieces. It was still snowing hard outside.
我拿出象棋棋盘,摆放好棋子。外面仍在下着大雪。

One time in the night I woke up and knew that Catherine was awake too. —
有一次夜里我醒来知道凯瑟琳也醒了。 —

The moon was shining in the window and made shadows on the bed from the bars on the window-panes.
月亮从窗户照进来,在床上的窗棂上投下影子。

“Are you awake, sweetheart?”
“亲爱的,你醒着吗?”

“Yes. Can’t you sleep?”
“是的。你睡不着吗?”

“I just woke up thinking about how I was nearly crazy when I first met you. Do you remember?”
“我才刚醒来,想起我们第一次见面时我几乎要疯掉的情形。你还记得吗?”

“You were just a little crazy.”
“你那时有点疯狂。”

“I’m never that way any more. I’m grand now. You say grand so sweetly. Say grand.”
“我再也不会那样了。我现在很出色。你用‘很出色’这词说得那么甜蜜。再说一遍‘很出色’。”

“Grand.”
“很出色。”

“Oh, you’re sweet. And I’m not crazy now. I’m just very, very, very happy.”
“你真甜。现在我没有发疯。我只是非常非常非常幸福。”

“Go on to sleep,” I said.
“去睡觉吧,”我说。

“All right. Let’s go to sleep at exactly the same moment.”
“好的。我们还是同时去睡觉吧。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

But we did not. I was awake for quite a long time thinking about things and watching Catherine sleeping, the moonlight on her face. —
但我们没有。我醒着很久,想着很多事情,看着凯瑟琳睡着了,月光洒在她的脸上。 —

Then I went to sleep, too.
然后我也睡着了。