It was dusk when the priest came. They had brought the soup and afterward taken away the bowls and I was lying looking at the rows of beds and out the window at the tree-top that moved a little in the evening breeze. —
牧师到来时已经黄昏。他们端来了汤,喝完后拿走了碗,我躺着望着一排排的床铺,透过窗户看着树梢在傍晚微风中轻轻摇动。 —

The breeze came in through the window and it was cooler with the evening. —
微风透过窗户吹进来,晚上变得更凉爽了。 —

The flies were on the ceiling now and on the electric light bulbs that hung on wires. —
苍蝇现在在天花板上和挂在电灯泡上的电线上。 —

The lights were only turned on when some one was brought in at night or when something was being done. —
只有在晚上有人被送来或有事情要做时才会开灯。 —

It made me feel very young to have the dark come after the dusk and then remain. —
让我感到非常年轻,看到黄昏后夜幕降临。 —

It was like being put to bed after early supper. —
就像吃过早饭后被安置在床上。 —

The orderly came down between the beds and stopped. Some one was with him. —
一个护理人员走过床铺停了下来。有人和他在一起。 —

It was the priest. He stood there small, brown-faced, and embarrassed.
是牧师。他站在那里,个子小,脸色棕色,有些尴尬。

“How do you do?” he asked. He put some packages down by the bed, on the floor.
“你好吗?”他问。他把一些包裹放在了床边的地板上。

“All right, father.”
“挺好的,父亲。”

He sat down in the chair that had been brought for Rinaldi and looked out of the window embarrassedly. —
他坐在为Rinaldi准备的椅子上,尴尬地望着窗外。 —

I noticed his face looked Very tired.
我注意到他的脸看起来很疲倦。

“I can only stay a minute,” he said. “It is late.”
“我只能停留一会儿,”他说道。”已经很晚了。”

“It’s not late. How is the mess?”
“还不晚。餐厅的情况如何?”

He smiled. “I am still a great joke,” he sounded tired too. “Thank God they are all well.
他微笑了。”我还是个大笑话,”他听起来也很疲倦。”感谢上帝他们都很好。”

“I am so glad you are all right,” he said. “I hope you don’t suffer.” —
“我很高兴你没事了,”他说。“希望你不再受苦。” —

He seemed very tired and I was not used to seeing him tired.
他看起来很疲倦,我不习惯看到他疲倦。

“Not any more.”
“不再受苦了。”

“I miss you at the mess.”
“我在食堂想念你。”

“I wish I were there. I always enjoyed our talking.”
“我希望我能在那里。我总是喜欢和你聊天。”

“I brought you a few little things,” he said. He picked up the packages. “This is mosquito netting. —
“我给你带了一些小东西,”他说。他拿起包裹。“这是蚊帐。 —

This is a bottle of vermouth. You like vermouth? —
这是一瓶苦艾酒。你喜欢苦艾酒吗? —

These are English papers.”
这些是英文报纸。”

“Please open them.”
“请打开看看。”

He was pleased and undid them. I held the mosquito netting in my hands. —
他很高兴地打开了包裹。我拿着蚊帐在手里。 —

The vermouth he held up for me to see and then put it on the floor beside the bed. —
他拿起苦艾酒给我看,然后把它放在床边的地板上。 —

I held up one of the sheaf of English papers. —
我拿起其中一叠英文报纸。 —

I could read the headlines by turning it so the half-light from the window was on it. —
我可以通过把它转过来,使窗户的微光照在上面,读到头条新闻。 —

It was The News of the World.
那是《世界新闻报》。

“The others are illustrated,” he said.
“其他的是有插图的,”他说。

“It will be a great happiness to read them. Where did you get them?”
“读它们会让人很幸福。你从哪里搞到的?”

“I sent for them to Mestre. I will have more.”
“我从梅斯特那里订的。我还会有更多的。”

“You were very good to come, father. Will you drink a glass of vermouth?”
“你能来真是太好了,父亲。要来一杯苦艾酒吗?”

“Thank you. You keep it. It’s for you.”
“谢谢。你留着吧。这是给你的。”

“No, drink a glass.”
“不,喝一杯吧。”

“All right. I will bring you more then.”
“好吧。那我会再给你拿些。”

The orderly brought the glasses and opened the bottle. —
服务生拿来了杯子并打开了瓶子。 —

He broke off the cork and the end had to be shoved down into the bottle. —
他把软木塞折断,然后把末端塞进了瓶子里。 —

I could see the priest was disappointed but he said, “That’s all right. It’s no matter.”
我看得出牧师有些失望,但他说,“没关系。没什么大不了的。”

“Here’s to your health, father.”
“为你的健康,父亲。”

“To your better health.”
“愿你更健康。”

Afterward he held the glass in his hand and we looked at one another. —
之后他捧着杯子,我们相互对视。 —

Sometimes we talked and were good friends but to-night it was difficult.
有时我们谈天说地,是好朋友,但今晚很难。

“What’s the matter, father? You seem very tired.”
“怎么了,父亲?你看起来很累。”

“I am tired but I have no right to be.”
“我很

“It’s the heat.”
“这只是炎热。”

“No. This is only the spring. I feel very low.”
“不。这只是春天。我感到非常低落。”

“You have the war disgust.”
“你对战争感到厌恶。”

“No. But I hate the war.”
“不。但我讨厌战争。”

“I don’t enjoy it,” I said. He shook his head and looked out of the window.
“我不喜欢它,”我说。他摇了摇头,望向窗外。

“You do not mind it. You do not see it. You must forgive me. I know you are wounded.”
“你无所谓。你没有看到。你必须原谅我。我知道你受伤了。”

“That is an accident.”
“那是个意外。”

“Still even wounded you do not see it. I can tell. I do not see it myself but I feel it a little.”
“即使受伤了你还是没有看到。我可以告诉。我自己也没有看到,但我感觉到了一点。”

“When I was wounded we were talking about it. Passini was talking.”
“当我受伤时,我们正在讨论它。帕西尼在谈论。”

The priest put down the glass. He was thinking about something else.
牧师放下玻璃杯。他在思考其他事情。

“I know them because I am like they are,” he said.
“我了解他们,因为我和他们一样,”他说。

“You are different though.”
“但实际上你们不同。”

“But really I am like they are.”
“但我真的和他们一样。”

“The officers don’t see anything.”
“军官什么都看不见。”

“Some of them do. Some are very delicate and feel worse than any of us.”
“他们中的一些人会。有些人非常敏感,比我们任何人都感觉更糟。”

“They are mostly different.”
“他们大多是不同的。”

“It is not education or money. It is something else. —
“这不是教育或金钱。还有其他原因。” —

Even if they had education or money men like Passini would not wish to be officers. —
即使他们有教育或金钱,像帕西尼这样的人也不想当军官。 —

I would not be an officer.”
我不会当军官。

“You rank as an officer. I am an officer.”
“您被认为是一名军官。而我是一名军官。”

“I am not really. You are not even an Italian. You are a foreigner. —
“我真的不是。而您甚至不是意大利人。您是一个外国人。” —

But you are nearer the officers than you are to the men.”
“但您比跟士兵更接近军官。”

“What is the difference?”
“这有什么不同?”

“I cannot say it easily. There are people who would make war. —
“我不能轻易说出它。有些人会发动战争。” —

In this country there are many like that. —
“在这个国家,有很多人这样。” —

There are other people who would not make war.”
“还有其他人不会发动战争。”

“But the first ones make them do it.”
“但第一类人让他们这样做。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“And I help them.”
“而我在帮助他们。”

“You are a foreigner. You are a patriot.”
“您是一个外国人。您是一个爱国者。”

“And the ones who would not make war? Can they stop it?” I do not know.
“那些不愿发动战争的人呢?他们能阻止吗?我不知道。”

He looked out of the window again. I watched his face.
他又朝窗外望去。我看着他的脸。

“Have they ever been able to stop it?”
“他们曾经能阻止过吗?”

“They are not organized to stop things and when they get organized their leaders sell them out.”
“他们没有组织起来阻止事情,而当他们组织起来时,他们的领袖会出卖他们。”

“Then it’s hopeless?”
“那么是没有希望了吗?”

“It is never hopeless. But sometimes I cannot hope. I try always to hope but sometimes I cannot.”
“永远不会没有希望。但有时我无法抱有希望。我总是尝试着希望,但有时无法。”

“Maybe the war will be over.”
“也许战争会结束。”

“I hope so.”
“希望如此。”

“What will you do then?”
“那时你会做什么?”

“If it is possible I will return to the Abruzzi.”
“如果可能的话,我会回到阿布鲁佐。”

His brown face was suddenly very happy.
他的棕色脸庞突然变得非常幸福。

“You love the Abruzzi?”
“你喜欢阿布鲁佐吗?”

“Yes, I love it very much.”
“是的,我非常喜欢。”

“You ought to go there then.”
“那你应该去那里。”

“I would be too happy. If I could live there and love God and serve Him.”
“我会太幸福了。如果我能在那里生活,爱上帝并侍奉他。”

“And be respected,” I said.
“被尊重是应该的,”我说。

“Yes and be respected. Why not?”
“是的,为什么不呢?”

“No reason not. You should be respected.”
“没理由不该被尊重。你应该受到尊重。”

“It does not matter. But there in my country it is understood that a man may love God. It is not a dirty joke.”
“这无关紧要。但在我的国家,人们理解一个人可以爱上帝。这不是一个下流的笑话。”

“I understand.”
“我明白。”

He looked at me and smiled.
他看着我微笑。

“You understand but you do not love God.”
“你明白但你并不爱上帝。”

“No.”
“不。”

“You do not love Him at all?” he asked.
“你真的一点都不爱他吗?”他问道。

“I am afraid of Him in the night sometimes.”
“有时晚上我会害怕他。”

“You should love Him.”
“你应该爱他。”

“I don’t love much.”
“我没有很多爱。”

“Yes,” he said. “You do. What you tell me about in the nights. That is not love. —
“是的,”他说。“你有。你晚上跟我说的事情。那不是爱。 —

That is only passion and lust. When you love you wish to do things for. You wish to sacrifice for. —
那只是激情和欲望。当你爱的时候,你愿意为对方做事。你愿意牺牲。 —

You wish to serve.”
你愿意服务。”

“I don’t love.”
“我不爱.”

“You will. I know you will. Then you will be happy.”
“你会的。我知道你会的。然后你会很幸福.”

“I’m happy. I’ve always been happy.”
“我很幸福。我一直都很幸福.”

“It is another thing. You cannot know about it unless you have it.”
“那是另一回事。除非你拥有它,否则你无法了解它.”

“Well,” I said. “If I ever get it I will tell you.”
“嗯,” 我说。” 如果我有了我会告诉你.”

“I stay too long and talk too much.” He was worried that he really did.
“我呆得太久,说得太多.” 他担心自己真的是这样。

“No. Don’t go. How about loving women? If I really loved some woman would it be like that?”
“不,别走。那么爱女人呢?如果我真的爱上了某个女人会是什么感觉?”

“I don’t know about that. I never loved any woman.”
“我不知道。我从来没有爱过任何女人.”

“What about your mother?”
“你母亲呢?”

“Yes, I must have loved my mother.”
“是的,我一定爱过我的母亲。”

“Did you always love God?”
“你始终爱上帝吗?”

“Ever since I was a little boy.”
“自从我还是个小男孩的时候就是这样.”

“Well,” I said. I did not know what to say. “You are a fine boy,” I said.
“好吧,” 我说。我不知道该说什么。” 你是个好男孩,” 我说。

“I am a boy,” he said. “But you call me father.”
“我是男孩,” 他说。” 但是你叫我父亲.”

“That’s politeness.”
“这是礼貌。”

He smiled.
他微笑了。

“I must go, really,” he said. “You do not want me for anything?” he asked hopefully.
“我真的必须走了,”他说。“你没有什么事情要找我吗?”他希望地问道。

“No. Just to talk.”
“没有。只是想聊聊。”

“I will take your greetings to the mess.”
“我会把你的问候带到军营。”

“Thank you for the many fine presents.”
“谢谢你送的这么多好礼物。”

“Nothing.”
“没什么。”

“Come and see me again.”
“再来看我。”

“Yes. Good-by,” he patted my hand.
“是的。再见,”他拍了拍我的手。

“So long,” I said in dialect.
“再见了,”我用方言说。

“Ciaou,” he repeated.
“再见,”他重复道。

It was dark in the room and the orderly, who had sat by the foot of the bed, got up and went out with him. —
屋子里很黑,旁边的勤务兵站起来跟着他走出去。 —

I liked him very much and I hoped he would get back to the Abruzzi some time. —
我非常喜欢他,希望他能某一天回到阿布鲁佐地区。 —

He had a rotten life in the mess and he was fine about it but I thought how he would be in his own country. —
他在军营里过着糟糕的生活,但他态度很好,但我想象他在自己的国家会过得怎样。 —

At Capracotta, he had told me, there were trout in the stream below the town. —
他告诉我,在卡普拉科塔下面的小溪里有鳟鱼。 —

It was forbidden to play the flute at night. —
晚上吹笛是被禁止的。 —

When the young men serenaded only the flute was forbidden. Why, I had asked. —
当年轻人演奏小号时,唯独禁止演奏长笛。为什么,我曾问过。 —

Because it was bad for the girls to hear the flute at night. —
因为女孩们晚上听长笛不好。 —

The peasants all called you “Don” and when you met them they took off their hats. —
农民都称您为”唐先生”,当他们遇见您时会脱帽致敬。 —

His father hunted every day and stopped to eat at the houses of peasants. They were always honored. —
他的父亲每天打猎,并在农民的家中停下来吃饭。他们总是备受尊敬。 —

For a foreigner to hunt he must present a certificate that he had never been arrested. —
外国人要打猎必须出示无犯罪记录的证书。 —

There were bears on the Gran Sasso D’Italia but it was a long way. Aquila was a fine town. —
Gran Sasso D’Italia上有熊,但路途遥远。阿奎拉是个美丽的城镇。 —

It was cool in the summer at night and the spring in Abruzzi was the most beautiful in Italy. But what was lovely was the fall to go hunting through the chestnut woods. —
夏天的夜晚很凉爽,阿布鲁扎的春天是意大利最美丽的。但最可爱的是秋天穿过栗子林去打猎。 —

The birds were all good because they fed on grapes and you never took a lunch because the peasants were always honored if you would eat with them at their houses. —
鸟类都很好,因为它们以葡萄为食,你从不带午餐,因为如果您在农民家中吃饭,他们总是备受尊敬。 —

After a while I went to sleep.
过了一会儿我就睡着了。