The manor-house of Ferndean was a building of considerable antiquity, moderate size, and no architectural pretensions, deep buried in a wood. —
那个弗恩丁庄园是一座相当古老、规模适中而没有建筑矜持的建筑,深藏在一片树林中。 —

I had heard of it before. Mr. Rochester often spoke of it, and sometimes went there. —
我之前听说过它。罗切斯特先生经常提起它,有时会去那里。 —

His father had purchased the estate for the sake of the game covers. —
他的父亲为了打猎买下了这个地产。 —

He would have let the house, but could find no tenant, in consequence of its ineligible and insalubrious site. —
他本来想出租这个房子,但由于它不太适合并且环境不佳,找不到租户。 —

Ferndean then remained uninhabited and unfurnished, with the exception of some two or three rooms fitted up for the accommodation of the squire when he went there in the season to shoot.
所以弗恩丁一直没有人居住,除了为庄园主准备的两三个房间,在打猎季节他去那里时供他使用。

To this house I came just ere dark on an evening marked by the characteristics of sad sky, cold gale, and continued small penetrating rain. —
我在一个充满忧伤的天空、寒冷的大风和一直下着细小的渗透性雨的傍晚来到了这所房子。 —

The last mile I performed on foot, having dismissed the chaise and driver with the double remuneration I had promised. —
我最后一英里是步行完成的,我解雇了馬车和驾驶员,并给了他们双倍的报酬。 —

Even when within a very short distance of the manor-house, you could see nothing of it, so thick and dark grew the timber of the gloomy wood about it. —
即使在离庄园很近的地方,你也看不见它,因为周围的阴暗树林太浓密和黑暗。 —

Iron gates between granite pillars showed me where to enter, and passing through them, I found myself at once in the twilight of close-ranked trees. —
铁栏杆间的花岗岩柱子告诉我入口在哪里,穿过它们,我立刻进入了一片树木排列整齐的黄昏中。 —

There was a grass-grown track descending the forest aisle between hoar and knotty shafts and under branched arches. —
这里有一条长满草的小路,沿着古老而多节的树干,在枝条构成的拱门下降落。 —

I followed it, expecting soon to reach the dwelling; —
我顺着这条小路走着,期望很快就到达那个居所。 —

but it stretched on and on, it wound far and farther: —
但是路却一直延伸着,弯曲得更远。 —

no sign of habitation or grounds was visible.
看不到任何住所或庭园的迹象。

I thought I had taken a wrong direction and lost my way. —
我以为我走错了方向,迷失了。 —

The darkness of natural as well as of sylvan dusk gathered over me. —
自然的黑暗和树林黄昏的黑暗笼罩着我。 —

I looked round in search of another road. There was none: —
我四处寻找其他的道路,但却没有找到。 —

all was interwoven stem, columnar trunk, dense summer foliage—no opening anywhere.
到处都是纠结的树干、柱状的主干、浓密的夏日叶子,没有任何开口。

I proceeded: at last my way opened, the trees thinned a little; —
我继续前行,最终道路打开了,树木稀疏了一点。 —

presently I beheld a railing, then the house—scarce, by this dim light, distinguishable from the trees; —
此刻,我看见了一个栏杆,而房子——在昏暗的光线下几乎无法与树木区分开来; —

so dank and green were its decaying walls. —
它的腐朽的墙壁潮湿而绿油油的。 —

Entering a portal, fastened only by a latch, I stood amidst a space of enclosed ground, from which the wood swept away in a semicircle. —
我走进一个仅仅用门闩锁住的门廊,站在一个被树木环绕的封闭区域中,从中木头呈半圆形地蔓延开去。 —

There were no flowers, no garden-beds; only a broad gravel-walk girdling a grass-plat, and this set in the heavy frame of the forest. —
没有花朵,没有花坛;只有一条环绕着草坪的宽阔石子路,而它被浓密的森林包围。 —

The house presented two pointed gables in its front; the windows were latticed and narrow: —
这座房子正面有两个尖顶,窗户是有格子的,非常狭窄; —

the front door was narrow too, one step led up to it. —
正门也很狭窄,上面有一个台阶。 —

The whole looked, as the host of the Rochester Arms had said, “quite a desolate spot. —
整个景象如同洛切斯特旅馆的主人所说,“相当荒凉的地方”。 —

” It was as still as a church on a week-day: —
这里一片寂静,就像一个平常日子里的教堂一样; —

the pattering rain on the forest leaves was the only sound audible in its vicinage.
只有滴答滴答的雨声落在森林叶子上,才能听到周围的声音。

“Can there be life here?” I asked.
“这里会有生命吗?”我问道。

Yes, life of some kind there was; for I heard a movement—that narrow front-door was unclosing, and some shape was about to issue from the grange.
是的,这里有某种生命存在;因为我听见了一阵动静——那扇狭窄的前门正在打开,有个人影正要从庄园里走出来。

It opened slowly: a figure came out into the twilight and stood on the step; a man without a hat: —
它缓慢地打开着:一个身影走出来,站在台阶上,一位没有帽子的男人。 —

he stretched forth his hand as if to feel whether it rained. —
他伸手去感觉是否下雨了。 —

Dusk as it was, I had recognised him—it was my master, Edward Fairfax Rochester, and no other.
尽管天色已晚,我还是认出了他-那是我的主人,爱德华·费尔法克斯·罗切斯特,别无他人。

I stayed my step, almost my breath, and stood to watch him—to examine him, myself unseen, and alas! to him invisible. —
我停住了脚步,几乎呼吸都止住了,站在一旁观察他-自己不被他看见,可他对我来说却是看不见的。 —

It was a sudden meeting, and one in which rapture was kept well in check by pain. —
这是一个突然的相遇,喜悦被痛苦很好地抑制住了。 —

I had no difficulty in restraining my voice from exclamation, my step from hasty advance.
我毫不费力地抑制住了惊呼声,没有急功近利地前进。

His form was of the same strong and stalwart contour as ever: —
他的身形依然是强壮而挺拔的轮廓: —

his port was still erect, his hair was still raven black; nor were his features altered or sunk: —
他的举止依然笔直,头发依然漆黑;他的脸容也没有变化或消瘦: —

not in one year’s space, by any sorrow, could his athletic strength be quelled or his vigorous prime blighted. —
在一年的时间里,任何悲伤都不能压伤他的强健体魄,也不能使他的青春正当年变黯淡。 —

But in his countenance I saw a change: that looked desperate and brooding—that reminded me of some wronged and fettered wild beast or bird, dangerous to approach in his sullen woe. —
但是在他的脸上我看到了一种改变:那是一种绝望和忧郁的表情 - 让我想起了某种受伤和被束缚的野兽或鸟,他们充满了愤怒的悲痛,让人难以接近。 —

The caged eagle, whose gold-ringed eyes cruelty has extinguished, might look as looked that sightless Samson.
那盲目的彼得手可能看上去就像那只被残忍扼杀了的关在笼子里的老鹰,它的金环眼睛再没有一丝光芒。

And, reader, do you think I feared him in his blind ferocity?—if you do, you little know me. —
读者,你认为我会害怕他那盲目的狂暴吗? - 如果你这样认为,那你真的不了解我。 —

A soft hope blent with my sorrow that soon I should dare to drop a kiss on that brow of rock, and on those lips so sternly sealed beneath it: —
一种柔软的希望融合了我的悲伤,让我相信不久我将敢于在那个岩石般坚硬的额头上,以及紧闭的嘴唇上亲吻一下。 —

but not yet. I would not accost him yet.
但现在还不是时候。我还不敢去找他。

He descended the one step, and advanced slowly and gropingly towards the grass-plat. —
他走下一阶,向草坪缓慢地摸索着前进。 —

Where was his daring stride now? Then he paused, as if he knew not which way to turn. —
曾经那勇敢的步伐现在在哪里?然后,他停下来,似乎不知道该往哪个方向走。 —

He lifted his hand and opened his eyelids; —
他举起手来,打开了眼睑; —

gazed blank, and with a straining effort, on the sky, and toward the amphitheatre of trees: —
盯着天空,费力地凝视着, —

one saw that all to him was void darkness. —
你可以看到对于他来说,一切都是漆黑一片。 —

He stretched his right hand (the left arm, the mutilated one, he kept hidden in his bosom); —
他伸出了右手(左胳膊,残缺的一只,他藏在胸前); —

he seemed to wish by touch to gain an idea of what lay around him: he met but vacancy still; —
他似乎希望通过触摸来了解周围的情况:他只感觉到了空无一物; —

for the trees were some yards off where he stood. —
因为树木离他站立的位置有几码远; —

He relinquished the endeavour, folded his arms, and stood quiet and mute in the rain, now falling fast on his uncovered head. —
他放弃了尝试,交叉双臂,静静地站在雨中,雨水快速地打在他的无遮蔽的头上; —

At this moment John approached him from some quarter.
这时约翰从某个地方靠近他;

“Will you take my arm, sir?” he said; —
“先生,要我扶您一下吗?”他说; —

“there is a heavy shower coming on: had you not better go in?”
“有个大雨快要来了,您最好进去吧?”

“Let me alone,” was the answer.
“让我一个人呆着吧,”回答道;

John withdrew without having observed me. Mr. Rochester now tried to walk about: —
约翰没有注意到我就离开了。罗切斯特先生试图四处走动: —

vainly,—all was too uncertain. He groped his way back to the house, and, re-entering it, closed the door.
无济于事——一切都太不确定。他摸索着回到房子,重新进入,关上了门;

I now drew near and knocked: John’s wife opened for me. “Mary,” I said, “how are you?”
我现在走近并敲门:约翰的妻子为我打开。”Mary,你好吗?”我说。

She started as if she had seen a ghost: I calmed her. —
她像见鬼一样吓了一跳:我安慰了她。 —

To her hurried “Is it really you, miss, come at this late hour to this lonely place? —
“真的是您吗,小姐?这么晚来到这个荒凉的地方?”她急促地问道。 —

” I answered by taking her hand; and then I followed her into the kitchen, where John now sat by a good fire. —
我握住她的手回答道,然后跟着她走进厨房,此时约翰正坐在火炉旁。 —

I explained to them, in few words, that I had heard all which had happened since I left Thornfield, and that I was come to see Mr. Rochester. —
我简要地向他们解释了我离开索恩菲尔德后发生的一切,并且说明我是来见罗切斯特先生的。 —

I asked John to go down to the turn-pike-house, where I had dismissed the chaise, and bring my trunk, which I had left there: —
我请约翰去转口站,将我留在那里的行李箱拿来。 —

and then, while I removed my bonnet and shawl, I questioned Mary as to whether I could be accommodated at the Manor House for the night; —
然后,当我脱下帽子和披肩时,我询问玛丽是否可以在庄园过夜。 —

and finding that arrangements to that effect, though difficult, would not be impossible, I informed her I should stay. —
玛丽告诉我,虽然安排起来有些困难,但不是不可能,我便告诉她我打算留下来。 —

Just at this moment the parlour-bell rang.
正在这时,客厅的门铃响了。

“When you go in,” said I, “tell your master that a person wishes to speak to him, but do not give my name.”
“你进去的时候,告诉你的主人有人想和他说话,但不要告诉他我的名字。”我说道。

“I don’t think he will see you,” she answered; “he refuses everybody.”
“我觉得他不会见你的,”她回答说,“他拒绝所有人。”

When she returned, I inquired what he had said.
当她回来时,我询问了他说了什么。

“You are to send in your name and your business,” she replied. —
“你要把你的名字和你的事情寄过来,”她回答道。 —

She then proceeded to fill a glass with water, and place it on a tray, together with candles.
然后她拿起一个玻璃杯装满水,放在一个托盘上,还有蜡烛。

“Is that what he rang for?” I asked.
“他是为了这个才叫人吗?”我问道。

“Yes: he always has candles brought in at dark, though he is blind.”
“是的,他天黑的时候总是要点蜡烛,虽然他是盲人。”

“Give the tray to me; I will carry it in.”
“把托盘给我,我来拿进去。”

I took it from her hand: she pointed me out the parlour door. The tray shook as I held it; —
我从她手中接过托盘:我指着客厅的门。 —

the water spilt from the glass; my heart struck my ribs loud and fast. —
托盘在我手中颤抖;水洒出来了;我的心急剧跳动。 —

Mary opened the door for me, and shut it behind me.
玛丽替我开了门,然后关上了门。

This parlour looked gloomy: a neglected handful of fire burnt low in the grate; —
这个客厅看起来很阴暗:壁炉里燃烧着一团被忽视的火苗; —

and, leaning over it, with his head supported against the high, old-fashioned mantelpiece, appeared the blind tenant of the room. —
并且仰靠在高高的,老式的壁炉台上的是这个房间的盲主人。 —

His old dog, Pilot, lay on one side, removed out of the way, and coiled up as if afraid of being inadvertently trodden upon. —
他的老狗,皮洛特,躺在一边,远离路线,卷成一团,好像害怕被无意中踩到。 —

Pilot pricked up his ears when I came in: —
看到我进来,皮洛特竖起耳朵。 —

then he jumped up with a yelp and a whine, and bounded towards me: —
然后它大叫着,哀鸣着跳了起来,向我奔来; —

he almost knocked the tray from my hands. I set it on the table; —
它差点把盘子从我的手里撞掉。我把盘子放在桌子上; —

then patted him, and said softly, “Lie down! —
然后我拍了拍它,轻声说道:“躺下!” —

” Mr. Rochester turned mechanically to see what the commotion was: —
“罗切斯特先生机械地转身,想看看到底发生了什么骚动: —

but as he saw nothing, he returned and sighed.
但因为他什么也没看到,他转回来叹了口气。

“Give me the water, Mary,” he said.
“把水给我,玛丽,”他说道。

I approached him with the now only half-filled glass; Pilot followed me, still excited.
我走向他,手里拿着现在只剩下一半的杯子;小狗跟在我后面,还是兴奋得不停叫着。

“What is the matter?” he inquired.
“发生了什么事?”他问道。

“Down, Pilot!” I again said. He checked the water on its way to his lips, and seemed to listen: —
“躺下,小狗!”我再次说道。他停住向嘴唇倒去的水,似乎在倾听: —

he drank, and put the glass down. “This is you, Mary, is it not?”
他喝了一口,放下杯子。“这是你,玛丽,对吗?”

“Mary is in the kitchen,” I answered.
“玛丽在厨房里,”我回答道。

He put out his hand with a quick gesture, but not seeing where I stood, he did not touch me. —
他伸出手作了一个快速的手势,但由于不知道我站在哪里,他没有触到我。 —

“Who is this? Who is this?” he demanded, trying, as it seemed, to see with those sightless eyes—unavailing and distressing attempt! —
“这是谁?这是谁?”他要求着,似乎试图用那双无法看见的眼睛”看清楚”——然而无济于事,令人痛苦的尝试! —

“Answer me—speak again!” he ordered, imperiously and aloud.
“回答我——再说一次!”他威严而大声地命令道。

“Will you have a little more water, sir? I spilt half of what was in the glass,” I said.
“先生,您要再喝一点水吗?我把杯子里的一半都洒出来了。”我说道。

Who is it? What is it? Who speaks?”
“是?是什么?是谁在说话?”

“Pilot knows me, and John and Mary know I am here. I came only this evening,” I answered.
“飞行员认识我,而约翰和玛丽知道我在这里。我是今天晚上才来的。”我回答道。

“Great God!—what delusion has come over me? What sweet madness has seized me?”
“天哪!是什么错觉降临在我身上?是什么甜美的疯狂附体了我?”

“No delusion—no madness: your mind, sir, is too strong for delusion, your health too sound for frenzy.”
“没有错觉,也没有疯狂:先生,您的思维太坚定了,健康太好了,无法产生错觉或疯狂。”

“And where is the speaker? Is it only a voice? Oh! —
“那个说话的人在哪里?只是一个声音吗?哦!” —

I cannot see, but I must feel, or my heart will stop and my brain burst. —
“我看不见,但我必须感觉到,否则我的心会停止,脑袋会爆裂。” —

Whatever—whoever you are—be perceptible to the touch or I cannot live!”
“无论是什么,无论是谁,只要能被触摸到,否则我就无法活下去!”

He groped; I arrested his wandering hand, and prisoned it in both mine.
他摸索着,我抓住他漫无目的的手,用双手禁锢住。

“Her very fingers!” he cried; “her small, slight fingers! If so there must be more of her.”
“她的手指!”他喊道,“她纤细的手指!如果是这样,那就一定还有更多的她。”

The muscular hand broke from my custody; my arm was seized, my shoulder—neck—waist—I was entwined and gathered to him.
有力的手从我手中挣脱,我的手臂被抓住,我的肩膀—脖子—腰部—我被他拥抱住。

“Is it Jane? What is it? This is her shape—this is her size—”
“是简吗?是什么?这是她的形状—这是她的尺寸—”

“And this her voice,” I added. “She is all here: her heart, too. —
“而且她的声音,”我补充说。“她就在这里:她的心也在这里。” —

God bless you, sir! I am glad to be so near you again.”
“上帝保佑您,先生!我很高兴又能靠近您了。”

“Jane Eyre!—Jane Eyre,” was all he said.
“简·爱!——简·爱,”他只说了这句话。

“My dear master,” I answered, “I am Jane Eyre: —
“我亲爱的主人,”我回答道,“我就是简·爱: —

I have found you out—I am come back to you.”
我找到了您——我回来了。”

“In truth?—in the flesh? My living Jane?”
“真的?亲自?我的亲爱的简?”

“You touch me, sir,—you hold me, and fast enough: —
“您碰到我了,先生,您抓住了我,足够牢固: —

I am not cold like a corpse, nor vacant like air, am I?”
我不像尸体那样冰冷,也不像空气那般空洞,对吧?”

“My living darling! These are certainly her limbs, and these her features; —
“我的亲爱的!这肯定是她的手脚,这肯定是她的脸庞; —

but I cannot be so blest, after all my misery. It is a dream; —
但是在我经历了种种痛苦之后,我不敢相信自己能这么幸福。这一定是场梦; —

such dreams as I have had at night when I have clasped her once more to my heart, as I do now; —
像那些我晚上做过的梦一样,我能抱着她紧紧地,就像现在这样; —

and kissed her, as thus—and felt that she loved me, and trusted that she would not leave me.”
然后亲吻她,就像这样,我能感觉到她爱我,相信她不会离开我。”

“Which I never will, sir, from this day.”
“我永远不会离开,先生,从今天起。”

“Never will, says the vision? But I always woke and found it an empty mockery; —
“永远不会离开,幻象说的是吗?但我每次都醒来,发现只是虚假的嘲弄; —

and I was desolate and abandoned—my life dark, lonely, hopeless—my soul athirst and forbidden to drink—my heart famished and never to be fed. —
我感到无助和被抛弃——我的生活黑暗、孤独、没有希望——我的灵魂干渴而被禁止饮水——我的心饥饿而永远无法得到滋养。 —

Gentle, soft dream, nestling in my arms now, you will fly, too, as your sisters have all fled before you: —
温柔、柔软的梦啊,现在你在我的怀里,你也将像你的姐妹一样飞翔: —

but kiss me before you go—embrace me, Jane.”
但在你离开之前亲吻我——拥抱我,简。”

“There, sir—and there!”’
“在这儿,先生——就在这儿!”

I pressed my lips to his once brilliant and now rayless eyes—I swept his hair from his brow, and kissed that too. —
我把嘴唇贴在他曾经明亮而现在黯淡无光的眼睛上——我梳理他额头上的发丝,也吻了那里。 —

He suddenly seemed to arouse himself: the conviction of the reality of all this seized him.
他突然似乎醒悟过来:他确信这一切的真实性。

“It is you—is it, Jane? You are come back to me then?”
“是你吗,简?你回来了?”

“I am.”
“是我。”

“And you do not lie dead in some ditch under some stream? —
“那么你没有死在某个沟渠下某条溪流里吗?” —

And you are not a pining outcast amongst strangers?”
“你也没有在陌生人中忍受被遗弃的苦难吗?”

“No, sir! I am an independent woman now.”
“不,先生!我现在是一个独立的女人。”

“Independent! What do you mean, Jane?”
“独立?你是什么意思,简?”

“My uncle in Madeira is dead, and he left me five thousand pounds.”
“我的在马德拉的叔叔去世了,他给了我五千英镑。”

“Ah! this is practical—this is real!” he cried: “I should never dream that. —
“啊!这是实际的——这是现实!”他喊道:“我从来不会想到这一点。” —

Besides, there is that peculiar voice of hers, so animating and piquant, as well as soft: —
此外,还有她那独特的声音,充满活力和趣味,同时又温柔动人。 —

it cheers my withered heart; it puts life into it.—What, Janet! —
它让我那颓废的心灵得到了慰藉;它给了它生命。嗨,珍妮特! —

Are you an independent woman? A rich woman?”
你是个独立的女人吗?一个富裕的女人吗?

“Quite rich, sir. If you won’t let me live with you, I can build a house of my own close up to your door, and you may come and sit in my parlour when you want company of an evening.”
“是的,先生。如果你不让我和你住在一起,我可以在你门口建一座自己的房子,晚上你可以来我家客厅坐坐。”

“But as you are rich, Jane, you have now, no doubt, friends who will look after you, and not suffer you to devote yourself to a blind lameter like me?”
但是,珍,既然你很富有,肯定有人照顾你,不会让你为了像我这样一个盲人而自我牺牲吧?

“I told you I am independent, sir, as well as rich: I am my own mistress.”
“我告诉你,先生,我是独立的,而且我也很富有:我是我自己的主人。”

“And you will stay with me?”
而且你会和我一起住吗?

“Certainly—unless you object. I will be your neighbour, your nurse, your housekeeper. —
“当然—除非你有意见。我会成为你的邻居、护士、管家。 —

I find you lonely: I will be your companion—to read to you, to walk with you, to sit with you, to wait on you, to be eyes and hands to you. —
我发现你很孤单:我会成为你的伴侣—陪你读书、散步、坐着,等候你,成为你的眼睛和手。 —

Cease to look so melancholy, my dear master; —
不要再看起来那么忧郁,我亲爱的主人; —

you shall not be left desolate, so long as I live.”
只要我活着,你不会被遗弃。

He replied not: he seemed serious—abstracted; he sighed; he half-opened his lips as if to speak: —
他没有回答,他看起来认真而心不在焉;他叹了口气,微微张开嘴唇好像要说话: —

he closed them again. I felt a little embarrassed. —
然后又闭上了。我感到有点尴尬。 —

Perhaps I had too rashly over-leaped conventionalities; —
或许我过于冒失地跳过了礼仪; —

and he, like St. John, saw impropriety in my inconsiderateness. —
就像圣约翰一样,他认为我不考虑后果是不合适的。 —

I had indeed made my proposal from the idea that he wished and would ask me to be his wife: —
我之所以提出这个提议,是因为我以为他希望并且会要求我成为他的妻子; —

an expectation, not the less certain because unexpressed, had buoyed me up, that he would claim me at once as his own. —
尽管没有明确表示,但我对这个期望毫不怀疑,我觉得他会立刻宣布我是他的。 —

But no hint to that effect escaping him and his countenance becoming more overcast, I suddenly remembered that I might have been all wrong, and was perhaps playing the fool unwittingly; —
但是他一点暗示也没有,他的表情变得更加阴沉,我突然想起自己可能全错了,也许自己在无意中在闹腾; —

and I began gently to withdraw myself from his arms—but he eagerly snatched me closer.
我轻轻地从他怀里挣脱出来,但他热切地把我拉得更近。

“No—no—Jane; you must not go. No—I have touched you, heard you, felt the comfort of your presence—the sweetness of your consolation: —
“不,简,你不能走。不,我已经碰过你,听过你,感受到了你的存在和你的慰藉的甜蜜: —

I cannot give up these joys. I have little left in myself—I must have you. —
我不能放弃这些快乐。我内心所剩无几——我必须拥有你。 —

The world may laugh—may call me absurd, selfish—but it does not signify. —
世界可以嘲笑——可以称我荒谬、自私——但这无所谓。 —

My very soul demands you: it will be satisfied, or it will take deadly vengeance on its frame.”
我的灵魂需要你:它将被满足,否则它将对我的身体进行致命报复。

“Well, sir, I will stay with you: I have said so.”
“好吧,先生,我会和你在一起:我已经这么说了。”

“Yes—but you understand one thing by staying with me; and I understand another. —
是的——但你对待我待在一起的理解与我的理解是不同的。 —

You, perhaps, could make up your mind to be about my hand and chair—to wait on me as a kind little nurse (for you have an affectionate heart and a generous spirit, which prompt you to make sacrifices for those you pity), and that ought to suffice for me no doubt. —
也许你可以下定决心呆在我身边、在我椅子旁边照顾我,就像一个亲切的小护士(因为你有一颗有爱心和慷慨精神的心,会为那些你可怜的人做出牺牲),这应该对我足够了,毫无疑问。 —

I suppose I should now entertain none but fatherly feelings for you: —
我想现在我对你应该只抱父爱之情。 —

do you think so? Come—tell me.”
你认为呢?来吧——告诉我吧。

“I will think what you like, sir: I am content to be only your nurse, if you think it better.”
“先生,我会按照你的想法去想:如果你认为这样更好,我愿意只当你的护士。”

“But you cannot always be my nurse, Janet: you are young—you must marry one day.”
但你不可能永远是我的护士,珍妮特:你年轻——总有一天你要结婚。

“I don’t care about being married.”
“我不在乎结婚。”

“You should care, Janet: if I were what I once was, I would try to make you care—but—a sightless block!”
“你应该在乎,珍妮特:如果我还是过去的那个人,我会试图让你在乎的,但现在只是一个无能的人!”

He relapsed again into gloom. I, on the contrary, became more cheerful, and took fresh courage: —
他又陷入了忧郁。相反地,我变得更加开朗,重新振作起来。 —

these last words gave me an insight as to where the difficulty lay; —
这最后一句话让我有了一种洞察力,知道问题出在哪里; —

and as it was no difficulty with me, I felt quite relieved from my previous embarrassment. —
而且对我来说并不是问题,我对之前的尴尬感到相当宽慰。 —

I resumed a livelier vein of conversation.
我重新开始更活跃的交谈。

“It is time some one undertook to rehumanise you,” said I, parting his thick and long uncut locks; —
“是时候有人来重新使你恢复人性化了,” 我说着,分开他浓密而长久未修剪的头发。 —

“for I see you are being metamorphosed into a lion, or something of that sort. —
“因为我看到你正在变成一只狮子,或类似的动物。 —

You have a ‘faux air’ of Nebuchadnezzar in the fields about you, that is certain: —
你在你周围的那片田野中,有一种拜占庭王尼布甲尼撒尔的假象,那是肯定的: —

your hair reminds me of eagles’ feathers; —
你的头发让我想起了鹰的羽毛; —

whether your nails are grown like birds’ claws or not, I have not yet noticed.”
我还没有注意到你的指甲是否长得像鸟的爪子。

“On this arm, I have neither hand nor nails,” he said, drawing the mutilated limb from his breast, and showing it to me. —
“在这只手臂上,我既没有手也没有指甲,” 他说着,从胸前掏出断肢,向我展示着。 —

“It is a mere stump—a ghastly sight! —
“这只是一根枯树桩,可怖的景象啊! —

Don’t you think so, Jane?”
“你觉得呢,简?”

“It is a pity to see it; and a pity to see your eyes—and the scar of fire on your forehead: —
“真可惜看到这一切,还有你的眼睛——和你额头上的火烧伤疤痕: —

and the worst of it is, one is in danger of loving you too well for all this; —
“最为糟糕的是,人们很容易因为这些而爱上你; —

and making too much of you.”
“而对你过分关怀。”

“I thought you would be revolted, Jane, when you saw my arm, and my cicatrised visage.”
“我以为你会感到厌恶,简,当你看到我的胳膊和疤痕累累的脸。”

“Did you? Don’t tell me so—lest I should say something disparaging to your judgment. —
“你这么认为吗?別告诉我这种事——否则我可要贬低你的判断力。 —

Now, let me leave you an instant, to make a better fire, and have the hearth swept up. —
“现在,让我离开你片刻,生一堆更好的火,把壁炉扫干净。 —

Can you tell when there is a good fire?”
“你能判断出火的好坏吗?”

“Yes; with the right eye I see a glow—a ruddy haze.”
“可以;用右眼我能看到一片红光、朦胧的光晕。”

“And you see the candles?”
“你能看到蜡烛吗?”

“Very dimly—each is a luminous cloud.”
“非常模糊——每一支都是亮亮的云。”

“Can you see me?”
“你能看到我吗?”

“No, my fairy: but I am only too thankful to hear and feel you.”
“不,我的小仙女,但能听到你和感觉到你已经足够了。”

“When do you take supper?”
“你什么时候吃晚餐?”

“I never take supper.”
“我从不吃晚餐。”

“But you shall have some to-night. I am hungry: so are you, I daresay, only you forget.”
“但你今晚得吃一些。我饿了,你也肯定饿,只是你忘了。”

Summoning Mary, I soon had the room in more cheerful order: —
我把玛丽叫来,很快把房间整理得更加愉快。 —

I prepared him, likewise, a comfortable repast. —
我也准备了一顿舒适的晚餐给他。 —

My spirits were excited, and with pleasure and ease I talked to him during supper, and for a long time after. —
我的情绪被激发起来,我在晚餐期间和之后很轻松愉快地与他交谈。 —

There was no harassing restraint, no repressing of glee and vivacity with him; —
与他在一起没有压抑的束缚,没有阻止快乐和活力的表现。 —

for with him I was at perfect ease, because I knew I suited him; —
因为我知道我合他的心意,所以我在他面前完全感到轻松。 —

all I said or did seemed either to console or revive him. Delightful consciousness! —
我所说的或做的一切似乎要么安慰他,要么鼓舞他。令人愉悦的自觉! —

It brought to life and light my whole nature: in his presence I thoroughly lived; —
它唤起了我整个人的生命和光芒:在他的存在中,我彻底地活了起来; —

and he lived in mine. Blind as he was, smiles played over his face, joy dawned on his forehead: —
而且他也在我的生命中活着。他虽然盲目,脸上却露出了微笑,喜悦在他的额头上开始绽放; —

his lineaments softened and warmed.
他的面容变得柔和而温暖。

After supper, he began to ask me many questions, of where I had been, what I had been doing, how I had found him out; —
晚餐之后,他开始问我很多问题,问我去了哪里,做了什么,如何找到他的。 —

but I gave him only very partial replies: it was too late to enter into particulars that night. —
但是我只给他很少的回答:那天晚上已经太晚了,无法详细说明。 —

Besides, I wished to touch no deep-thrilling chord—to open no fresh well of emotion in his heart: —
另外,我不想触动他内心的深层情感,不想打开他心中的新的情感泉源: —

my sole present aim was to cheer him. Cheered, as I have said, he was: and yet but by fits. —
我唯一的目的就是要让他开心。正如我所说,他确实开心,但只是偶尔的开心。 —

If a moment’s silence broke the conversation, he would turn restless, touch me, then say, “Jane.”
如果片刻的寂静打破了对话,他会变得不安,摸摸我,然后说,“简。”

“You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?”
“你完全是一个人类,简?你确定吗?”

You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?
你完全是一个人类,简?你确定吗?

“I conscientiously believe so, Mr. Rochester.”
“我坚信如此,罗切斯特先生。”

“Yet how, on this dark and doleful evening, could you so suddenly rise on my lone hearth? —
“可是在这个黑暗而悲伤的夜晚,你是怎么突然出现在我孤单的炉边的呢? —

I stretched my hand to take a glass of water from a hireling, and it was given me by you: —
我伸出手要拿杯水,一个雇工递给了我,而那个人就是你: —

I asked a question, expecting John’s wife to answer me, and your voice spoke at my ear.”
我问了一个问题,本来期待着约翰的妻子回答我,而你的声音却在我耳边响起。”

“Because I had come in, in Mary’s stead, with the tray.”
“因为我代替玛丽进来了,拿着托盘。”

“And there is enchantment in the very hour I am now spending with you. —
“我与你此刻共度的时光中确实有一种魔力。 —

Who can tell what a dark, dreary, hopeless life I have dragged on for months past? —
谁能说出我过去几个月里度过的这种黑暗、阴郁、毫无希望的生活? —

Doing nothing, expecting nothing; merging night in day; —
什么都不做,什么都不期待;白昼与夜晚融为一体; —

feeling but the sensation of cold when I let the fire go out, of hunger when I forgot to eat: —
只有在火熄灭时感受到寒冷,饥饿时忘记进食; —

and then a ceaseless sorrow, and, at times, a very delirium of desire to behold my Jane again. Yes: —
然后是无尽的悲伤,有时候是对再次见到我的简的极度渴望。是的: —

for her restoration I longed, far more than for that of my lost sight. —
我迫切渴望她的恢复,比我失去的视力更甚。 —

How can it be that Jane is with me, and says she loves me? —
简怎么会和我在一起,她说爱我? —

Will she not depart as suddenly as she came? —
她不会像她来的时候那样突然离开吗? —

To-morrow, I fear I shall find her no more.”
明天,我担心我再也找不到她了。”

A commonplace, practical reply, out of the train of his own disturbed ideas, was, I was sure, the best and most reassuring for him in this frame of mind. —
在他困扰的思绪之中,一个平凡、务实的回答无疑是最好的、最能令他安心的。 —

I passed my finger over his eyebrows, and remarked that they were scorched, and that I would apply something which would make them grow as broad and black as ever.
我用手指轻轻在他的眉毛上划过,并注意到它们被烧焦了,我会给它们涂上一些能让它们像以前一样浓密黑亮的东西。

“Where is the use of doing me good in any way, beneficent spirit, when, at some fatal moment, you will again desert me—passing like a shadow, whither and how to me unknown, and for me remaining afterwards undiscoverable?”
“善良的精灵,对我有益处又有什么用呢?在某个致命的时刻,你会再次离开我,像影子一样隐去,去向何方我不得而知,对我来说也会变得无法找到。”

“Have you a pocket-comb about you, sir?”
“先生,你有梳子在身上吗?”

“What for, Jane?”
“干嘛用,简?”

“Just to comb out this shaggy black mane. —
“只是想梳理一下这乱糟糟的黑发。” —

I find you rather alarming, when I examine you close at hand: —
“仔细看你的时候,我觉得有点吓人:你谈论着我是仙女,但我敢说,你更像个小精灵。” —

you talk of my being a fairy, but I am sure, you are more like a brownie.”
“我丑吗,简?”

“Am I hideous, Jane?”
“Am I hideous, 简?”

“Very, sir: you always were, you know.”
“非常,先生:你一直都是这样的,你知道的。”

“Humph! The wickedness has not been taken out of you, wherever you have sojourned.”
“哼!恶行并没有从你身上消失,无论你去过哪里。”

“Yet I have been with good people; far better than you: a hundred times better people; —
“但是我一直和好人在一起,比你好一百倍的人; —

possessed of ideas and views you never entertained in your life: —
他们拥有你一生中从未拥有过的思想和观点: —

quite more refined and exalted.”
相当高尚和卓越。”

“Who the deuce have you been with?”
“你究竟和谁在一起过?”

“If you twist in that way you will make me pull the hair out of your head; —
“如果你再那样扭动,我会把你头上的头发都拔光的; —

and then I think you will cease to entertain doubts of my substantiality.”
然后我想你不会再对我的实在性产生怀疑了。”

“Who have you been with, Jane?”
“你跟谁在一起过,简?”

“You shall not get it out of me to-night, sir; you must wait till to-morrow; —
“你今晚是问不出来的,先生;你必须等到明天; —

to leave my tale half told, will, you know, be a sort of security that I shall appear at your breakfast table to finish it. —
留下故事未完成,你知道,将是一种保证我会在你的早餐桌上出现并完成故事。 —

By the bye, I must mind not to rise on your hearth with only a glass of water then: —
顺便说一句,那时候我必须注意不要只带着一杯水站在你的壁炉前: —

I must bring an egg at the least, to say nothing of fried ham.”
至少要带一个鸡蛋,更不用说煎火腿了。”

“You mocking changeling—fairy-born and human-bred! —
“你这个嘲弄的妖怪,半仙出生、人类抚养! —

You make me feel as I have not felt these twelve months. —
你让我感觉到了在过去的十二个月里从未有过的感觉。 —

If Saul could have had you for his David, the evil spirit would have been exorcised without the aid of the harp.”
如果索尔能拥有你作为他的大卫,那恶灵就不需要竖琴的帮助就被驱逐了。

“There, sir, you are redd up and made decent. Now I’ll leave you: —
“好了,先生,你已经整理得体面了。现在我就离开你。” —

I have been travelling these last three days, and I believe I am tired. Good night.”
我过去的三天一直在旅行,我相信我累了。晚安。

“Just one word, Jane: were there only ladies in the house where you have been?”
“简,就一个字,你去的那个房子里只有女士吗?”

I laughed and made my escape, still laughing as I ran upstairs. “A good idea! —
我笑了起来并逃离了现场,仍然在跑上楼时笑着。“主意不错!” —

” I thought with glee. “I see I have the means of fretting him out of his melancholy for some time to come.”
我心中充满欢喜地想。“我看到我有办法让他从他的忧郁中解脱出来一段时间了。”

Very early the next morning I heard him up and astir, wandering from one room to another. —
第二天早上很早我听到他起床并忙碌地在屋子里走来走去。 —

As soon as Mary came down I heard the question: “Is Miss Eyre here?” Then: —
玛丽一下楼我就听到了这个问题:“爱尔小姐在这里吗?”然后: —

“Which room did you put her into? Was it dry? Is she up? —
“你把她安排在哪个房间了?干燥吗?她起床了吗?” —

Go and ask if she wants anything; and when she will come down.”
去问问她需要什么;她什么时候下来。

I came down as soon as I thought there was a prospect of breakfast. —
我一听说有早餐的希望,就下来了。 —

Entering the room very softly, I had a view of him before he discovered my presence. —
小心翼翼地走进房间,我看到他还没有发现我的存在。 —

It was mournful, indeed, to witness the subjugation of that vigorous spirit to a corporeal infirmity. —
实在是令人悲痛,看到那个有活力的精神屈服于肉体的弱点。 —

He sat in his chair—still, but not at rest: expectant evidently; —
他坐在椅子上,静静地,但并不安宁:显然是在期待着。 —

the lines of now habitual sadness marking his strong features. —
那强健特征上如今习惯性的忧伤线条。 —

His countenance reminded one of a lamp quenched, waiting to be re-lit—and alas! —
他的面容让人想起一个熄灭的灯,等待着重新点燃——唉! —

it was not himself that could now kindle the lustre of animated expression: —
现在他自己不能点燃那活力四溢的表情了。 —

he was dependent on another for that office! —
他现在依靠别人来做那个事情! —

I had meant to be gay and careless, but the powerlessness of the strong man touched my heart to the quick: —
我原本打算要快乐无忧,但这个强壮男人的无能触动了我的心灵: —

still I accosted him with what vivacity I could.
不过我尽量以活力与他打招呼。

“It is a bright, sunny morning, sir,” I said. —
“今天是个明亮晴朗的早晨,先生,”我说道。 —

“The rain is over and gone, and there is a tender shining after it: —
“雨过天晴了,阳光柔和地照射着: —

you shall have a walk soon.”
您很快就可以散步了。”

I had wakened the glow: his features beamed.
我唤醒了他的光彩,他的面容闪耀着。

“Oh, you are indeed there, my skylark! Come to me. You are not gone: not vanished? —
“喔,你果然在这儿,我的云雀!过来找我。你没有走掉:没有消失吗?” —

I heard one of your kind an hour ago, singing high over the wood: —
我一个小时前听到你中的一个在树林上空高歌: —

but its song had no music for me, any more than the rising sun had rays. —
但对我来说,它的歌声没有任何音乐,就像升起的太阳没有光芒一样。 —

All the melody on earth is concentrated in my Jane’s tongue to my ear (I am glad it is not naturally a silent one): —
地球上所有的旋律都集中在我爱人的舌头和我的耳朵里(我很高兴它不是天生沉默的): —

all the sunshine I can feel is in her presence.”
我能感受到的所有阳光都存在于她的存在中。”

The water stood in my eyes to hear this avowal of his dependence; —
听到他对她的依赖的表白,我的眼眶湿润了; —

just as if a royal eagle, chained to a perch, should be forced to entreat a sparrow to become its purveyor. —
就像一只被锁在栖木上的皇家鹰被迫恳求一只麻雀成为它的供应商。 —

But I would not be lachrymose: I dashed off the salt drops, and busied myself with preparing breakfast.
但我不想哭泣:我擦去了咸咸的泪滴,忙着准备早餐。

Most of the morning was spent in the open air. —
大部分时间都是在户外度过的。 —

I led him out of the wet and wild wood into some cheerful fields: —
我带他离开潮湿和野性的树林,走进一些充满欢乐的田野: —

I described to him how brilliantly green they were; how the flowers and hedges looked refreshed; —
我向他描述了它们多么翠绿明亮,花朵和树篱看起来多么清新; —

how sparklingly blue was the sky. I sought a seat for him in a hidden and lovely spot, a dry stump of a tree; —
天空是多么的湛蓝。我为他寻找了一个隐秘而可爱的地方坐下,一颗干枯的树桩; —

nor did I refuse to let him, when seated, place me on his knee. —
当坐下时,我也不拒绝让他把我放在他的膝上。 —

Why should I, when both he and I were happier near than apart? Pilot lay beside us: —
当他和我在一起的时候,我们俩都比分开的时候开心,那我为什么要分开呢?飞行员躺在我们旁边。 —

all was quiet. He broke out suddenly while clasping me in his arms—
一切都是平静的。他紧紧地抱着我,突然爆发出来——

“Cruel, cruel deserter! Oh, Jane, what did I feel when I discovered you had fled from Thornfield, and when I could nowhere find you; —
“残忍的背叛者!噢,简,当我发现你从索恩菲尔德逃走时,我是多么的痛苦啊,当我无处可找到你; —

and, after examining your apartment, ascertained that you had taken no money, nor anything which could serve as an equivalent! —
在检查了你的房间后,才发现你没有拿走任何钱,也没有任何可以用作等价物的东西! —

A pearl necklace I had given you lay untouched in its little casket; —
我给你的一条珍珠项链还放在它的小盒子里保持原样; —

your trunks were left corded and locked as they had been prepared for the bridal tour. —
你的行李箱还像准备婚礼旅行时那样用绳子捆好锁上了。 —

What could my darling do, I asked, left destitute and penniless? —
我问我心爱的人,没有任何财产、一文不名的她能做什么? —

And what did she do? Let me hear now.”
她做了什么?现在告诉我吧。”

Thus urged, I began the narrative of my experience for the last year. —
在这样的催促下,我开始叙述我过去一年的经历。 —

I softened considerably what related to the three days of wandering and starvation, because to have told him all would have been to inflict unnecessary pain: —
关于三天的流浪和饥饿的事我严重减少了描述,因为告诉他全部情况只会给他带来不必要的痛苦。 —

the little I did say lacerated his faithful heart deeper than I wished.
我的一点点话语比我希望的更深地撕裂了他那忠诚的心。

I should not have left him thus, he said, without any means of making my way: —
我不应该这样离开他,他说,没有任何方式让我前去。 —

I should have told him my intention. I should have confided in him: —
我应该告诉他我的意图。我应该对他信任。 —

he would never have forced me to be his mistress. —
他永远也不会逼我成为他的情妇。 —

Violent as he had seemed in his despair, he, in truth, loved me far too well and too tenderly to constitute himself my tyrant: —
虽然在绝望中他显得暴力,但他实际上爱我太多、太温柔,无法成为我的暴君: —

he would have given me half his fortune, without demanding so much as a kiss in return, rather than I should have flung myself friendless on the wide world. —
他宁愿给我一半的财富,也不要求我回报一吻,而不愿看我孤零零地在世上流浪。 —

I had endured, he was certain, more than I had confessed to him.
他相信我已经忍受了比我向他坦白的更多。

“Well, whatever my sufferings had been, they were very short,” I answered: —
“好吧,不管我的痛苦到底有多少,它们都很短暂,”我回答道: —

and then I proceeded to tell him how I had been received at Moor House; —
然后我继续告诉他我如何在摩尔庄园被接纳; —

how I had obtained the office of schoolmistress, &c. —
我如何得到了学校女教师的职位,等等。 —

The accession of fortune, the discovery of my relations, followed in due order. —
好运降临,发现了我的亲人,都按顺序发生了。 —

Of course, St. John Rivers’ name came in frequently in the progress of my tale. —
当然,圣约翰的名字在我的故事中频繁出现。 —

When I had done, that name was immediately taken up.
当我说完后,立刻就有人提到了这个名字。

“This St. John, then, is your cousin?”
“所以,这个圣约翰就是你的表弟?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“You have spoken of him often: do you like him?”
“你经常提起他:你喜欢他吗?”

“He was a very good man, sir; I could not help liking him.”
“他是个很好的人,先生;我不由得喜欢他。”

“A good man. Does that mean a respectable well-conducted man of fifty? Or what does it mean?”
“一个好人。那意味着一个值得尊敬的、德行高尚的五十岁的人?或者是什么意思?”

“St John was only twenty-nine, sir.”
“圣约翰只有二十九岁,先生。”

“‘Jeune encore,’ as the French say. Is he a person of low stature, phlegmatic, and plain? —
“‘还年轻’,就像法国人说的。他个子低矮、冷静、相貌平凡吗? —

A person whose goodness consists rather in his guiltlessness of vice, than in his prowess in virtue.”
一个他的善行主要在于无罪而不是德行高尚的人。”

“He is untiringly active. Great and exalted deeds are what he lives to perform.”
“他非常活跃。他活着就是为了完成伟大而高尚的事业。”

“But his brain? That is probably rather soft? He means well: —
“但是他的大脑呢?很可能相对软弱?他的本意是好的: —

but you shrug your shoulders to hear him talk?”
但是你对他的谈话却耸耸肩?”

“He talks little, sir: what he does say is ever to the point. —
“先生,他说话不多,但每次都直击要害。” —

His brain is first-rate, I should think not impressible, but vigorous.”
“我认为他的大脑非常出色,不易受到影响,但是强壮。”

“Is he an able man, then?”
他是个有才能的人吗?

“Truly able.”
确确实实有才能。

“A thoroughly educated man?”
是个受过良好教育的人吗?

“St. John is an accomplished and profound scholar.”
“圣约翰是个有才华而深思熟虑的学者。”

“His manners, I think, you said are not to your taste?—priggish and parsonic?”
“他的举止,我记得你说过不合你的口味?— 像个自命不凡的牧师?”

“I never mentioned his manners; but, unless I had a very bad taste, they must suit it; —
“我从来没有提过他的举止;但是,除非我品味很差,否则他们肯定适合我, —

they are polished, calm, and gentlemanlike.”
他们彬彬有礼、冷静而绅士。”

“His appearance,—I forget what description you gave of his appearance; —
“他的长相,我忘了你是怎么形容他的长相的; —

—a sort of raw curate, half strangled with his white neckcloth, and stilted up on his thick-soled high-lows, eh?”
-一种像新晋教士的样子,白色领巾勒得半紧,脚下穿着厚底高靴,对不对?”

“St. John dresses well. He is a handsome man: —
“圣约翰穿得很好。他是个英俊的人: —

tall, fair, with blue eyes, and a Grecian profile.”
高大,金发,有着蓝色的眼睛和希腊人的轮廓。”

(Aside.) “Damn him!”—(To me.) “Did you like him, Jane?”
(心里想着。)“该死的家伙!”-(对我说。)“简,你喜欢他吗?”

“Yes, Mr. Rochester, I liked him: but you asked me that before.”
“是的,罗切斯特先生,我喜欢他:但你之前问过我这个问题。”

I perceived, of course, the drift of my interlocutor. Jealousy had got hold of him: she stung him; —
我当然明白了我的对话者的意图。嫉妒抓住了他:她刺伤了他; —

but the sting was salutary: it gave him respite from the gnawing fang of melancholy. —
但这一刺激是有益的:它让他暂时远离了折磨他的忧郁之痛。 —

I would not, therefore, immediately charm the snake.
因此,我不会立即迷住蛇。

“Perhaps you would rather not sit any longer on my knee, Miss Eyre? —
“也许你不愿再坐在我腿上了,艾尔小姐? —

” was the next somewhat unexpected observation.
”接下来是一个有些意外的观察。

“Why not, Mr. Rochester?”
“为什么不呢,罗切斯特先生?

“The picture you have just drawn is suggestive of a rather too overwhelming contrast. —
“你刚才描绘的画面暗示了一种过于压倒性的对比。 —

Your words have delineated very prettily a graceful Apollo: —
你的话很漂亮地描绘了一个优雅的阿波罗: —

he is present to your imagination,—tall, fair, blue-eyed, and with a Grecian profile. —
他在你的想象中存在——高个子、金发、蓝眼睛,带着希腊式的轮廓。 —

Your eyes dwell on a Vulcan,—a real blacksmith, brown, broad-shouldered: —
你的眼睛盯着一个火神——一个真正的铁匠,棕色的皮肤,宽肩膀: —

and blind and lame into the bargain.”
而且还瞎又跛。”

“I never thought of it, before; but you certainly are rather like Vulcan, sir.”
“我以前从来没有想过,但是您确实有点像火神,先生。”

“Well, you can leave me, ma’am: but before you go” (and he retained me by a firmer grasp than ever), “you will be pleased just to answer me a question or two.” He paused.
“好了,你可以走了,女士:但在你走之前”(他用比以往更紧的握力留住了我),“你很高兴回答我几个问题。”他停顿了一下。

“What questions, Mr. Rochester?”
“什么问题,罗切斯特先生?”

Then followed this cross-examination.
随后进行了这个盘问。

“St. John made you schoolmistress of Morton before he knew you were his cousin?”
“圣约翰在知道你是他的表亲之前让你成为莫顿的女教师?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“You would often see him? He would visit the school sometimes?”
“你经常会见到他吗?他有时会来学校吗?”

“Daily.”
“每天都有。”

“He would approve of your plans, Jane? I know they would be clever, for you are a talented creature!”
“他会赞同你的计划,简?我知道它们会很聪明,因为你是一个有才华的人!”

“He approved of them—yes.”
“他赞同了它们-是的。”

“He would discover many things in you he could not have expected to find? Some of your accomplishments are not ordinary.”
“他会发现你身上很多意想不到的东西吗?你的一些才能是不寻常的。”

“I don’t know about that.”
“我不知道。”

“You had a little cottage near the school, you say: did he ever come there to see you?”
“你说你在学校附近有一间小屋,他有到那里看过你吗?”

“Now and then.”
“偶尔。”

“Of an evening?”
“晚上?”

“Once or twice.”
“有一两次。”

A pause.
停顿。

“How long did you reside with him and his sisters after the cousinship was discovered?”
“在发现你们是堂兄妹之后,你和他和他的姐妹们住在一起多长时间?”

“Five months.”
“五个月。”

“Did Rivers spend much time with the ladies of his family?”
“里弗斯多花时间陪伴他的家人吗?”

“Yes; the back parlour was both his study and ours: —
“是的,后面的客厅既是他的书房,也是我们的书房。” —

he sat near the window, and we by the table.”
他坐在窗边,而我们坐在桌旁。

“Did he study much?”
他学习得多吗?

“A good deal.”
相当多。

“What?”
什么?

“Hindostanee.”
印地语。

“And what did you do meantime?”
那你在此期间做什么?

“I learnt German, at first.”
一开始我学了德语。

“Did he teach you?”
他教你吗?

“He did not understand German.”
他不懂德语。

“Did he teach you nothing?”
他没有教你任何东西吗?

“A little Hindostanee.”
只教了一点印地语。

“Rivers taught you Hindostanee?”
里弗斯教你印地语吗?

“Yes, sir.”
是的,先生。

“And his sisters also?”
他的姐妹们也教你吗?

“No.”
不,没有。

“Only you?”
“只有你一个人吗?”

“Only me.”
“只有我一个人。”

“Did you ask to learn?”
“你有要学的吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“He wished to teach you?”
“他希望教给你吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

A second pause.
又一次停顿。

“Why did he wish it? Of what use could Hindostanee be to you?”
“他为什么希望?对你来说,学印地语有什么用处?”

“He intended me to go with him to India.”
“他打算带我一起去印度。”

“Ah! here I reach the root of the matter. He wanted you to marry him?”
“啊!这就是问题的根源。他想让你嫁给他?”

“He asked me to marry him.”
“他向我求婚。”

“That is a fiction—an impudent invention to vex me.”
“那是个谎言,是一种厚颜无耻的编造,目的是想刁难我。”

“I beg your pardon, it is the literal truth: —
“请原谅,那是毫无掩饰的事实:他多次向我求婚,坚持得和你一样顽固。” —

he asked me more than once, and was as stiff about urging his point as ever you could be.”
“爱琳小姐,我再说一遍,你可以离开我了。我要重复多少次才行?

“Miss Eyre, I repeat it, you can leave me. How often am I to say the same thing? —
“我要重复多少次才行?” —

Why do you remain pertinaciously perched on my knee, when I have given you notice to quit?”
“为什么你还执拗地坐在我的膝上,我已经告诉你要离开了?”

“Because I am comfortable there.”
“因为我在那里很舒服。”

“No, Jane, you are not comfortable there, because your heart is not with me: —
“不,简,你在那里并不舒服,因为你的心不在我这里: —

it is with this cousin—this St. John. Oh, till this moment, I thought my little Jane was all mine! I had a belief she loved me even when she left me: —
它在这位表兄——这位St. John那里。哦,直到现在,我还以为我的小简全是我的!即使在她离开我的时候,我相信她也爱我: —

that was an atom of sweet in much bitter. —
在那些苦涩中,这是一个甜蜜的微粒。 —

Long as we have been parted, hot tears as I have wept over our separation, I never thought that while I was mourning her, she was loving another! —
虽然我们分开了很久,我哭泣过我们的分离,但我从未想过,在我哀悼她的时候,她在爱着另一个人! —

But it is useless grieving. Jane, leave me: —
但是悲痛是无济于事的。简,离开我吧: —

go and marry Rivers.”
去嫁给里弗斯。”

“Shake me off, then, sir,—push me away, for I’ll not leave you of my own accord.”
“甩开我吧,先生——把我推开,因为我不会自愿离开你。”

“Jane, I ever like your tone of voice: it still renews hope, it sounds so truthful. —
“简,我一直喜欢你说话的语气:它仍然给我希望,听起来如此真实。 —

When I hear it, it carries me back a year. —
当我听到它时,它让我回到一年前。 —

I forget that you have formed a new tie. —
我忘记了你已经建立了新的纽带。 —

But I am not a fool—go—”
但是我不是个傻子——去吧——”

“Where must I go, sir?”
“我必须去哪里,先生?”

“Your own way—with the husband you have chosen.”
“以你自己的方式——和你选择的丈夫。”

“Who is that?”
“那是谁?”

“You know—this St. John Rivers.”
“你知道——就是这个圣约翰·里弗斯。”

“He is not my husband, nor ever will be. He does not love me: I do not love him. —
“他不是我的丈夫,也永远不会是。他不爱我:我也不爱他。 —

He loves (as he can love, and that is not as you love) a beautiful young lady called Rosamond. —
他爱(他能够爱,但那和你的爱不同)一个叫罗莎蒙德的美丽年轻女士。 —

He wanted to marry me only because he thought I should make a suitable missionary’s wife, which she would not have done. —
他想娶我只是因为他认为我会成为一个合适的传教士妻子,但罗莎蒙德不能成为这样的妻子。 —

He is good and great, but severe; and, for me, cold as an iceberg. He is not like you, sir: —
他是善良而伟大的,但是严厉;对我来说,冷若冰霜。他不像你,先生: —

I am not happy at his side, nor near him, nor with him. He has no indulgence for me—no fondness. —
我和他在一起时不快乐,也不亲近他。他对我没有溺爱。 —

He sees nothing attractive in me; not even youth—only a few useful mental points. —
他看不到我有任何吸引力;甚至年轻都不算——只是一些有用的思想观点。 —

—Then I must leave you, sir, to go to him?”
那么我必须离开您,去找他吗?”

I shuddered involuntarily, and clung instinctively closer to my blind but beloved master. He smiled.
我不由自主地发抖,并本能地紧紧依偎在我盲目但心爱的主人身边。他微笑了。

“What, Jane! Is this true? Is such really the state of matters between you and Rivers?”
“什么, 简!这是真的吗?事实上,你和里弗斯之间的情况真的是这样吗?”

“Absolutely, sir! Oh, you need not be jealous! —
“当然了,先生!哦,你不需要嫉妒! —

I wanted to tease you a little to make you less sad: I thought anger would be better than grief. —
我想戏弄你一下,让你少一点伤心:我觉得愤怒比悲伤更好。 —

But if you wish me to love you, could you but see how much I do love you, you would be proud and content. —
“但如果你希望我爱你,如果你能看到我有多么爱你,你就会感到骄傲和满足。 —

All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; —
我的心全部属于你,先生:它属于你; —

and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence for ever.”
并且如果命运将我余下的身体永远流放离开你身边,它仍将留在你身边。”

Again, as he kissed me, painful thoughts darkened his aspect.
当他吻我时,痛苦的想法使他的脸变暗。

“My seared vision! My crippled strength!” he murmured regretfully.
“我受伤的视力!我残废的力量!”他懊悔地低声说。

I caressed, in order to soothe him. I knew of what he was thinking, and wanted to speak for him, but dared not. —
我抚摸着他,试图安慰他。我知道他在想什么,想替他说话,但不敢。 —

As he turned aside his face a minute, I saw a tear slide from under the sealed eyelid, and trickle down the manly cheek. My heart swelled.
当他稍稍转过脸时,我看到一滴泪从封闭的眼睑下滑落,沿着男性的脸颊流淌。我的心膨胀了起来。

“I am no better than the old lightning-struck chestnut-tree in Thornfield orchard,” he remarked ere long. —
“我不比索恩菲尔德果园里那棵被雷电击中的栗树好多少”,不久他这样说道。 —

“And what right would that ruin have to bid a budding woodbine cover its decay with freshness?”
“这种毁灭的权利又能让那嫩枝旁开新鲜的蔓藤来掩盖它的腐朽呢?”

“You are no ruin, sir—no lightning-struck tree: you are green and vigorous. —
“先生,您并非一棵废墟,也不是被雷击的树:您是绿意盎然且充满活力的。 —

Plants will grow about your roots, whether you ask them or not, because they take delight in your bountiful shadow; —
植物会在您的根部生长,无论您是否要求,因为它们喜欢您慷慨的阴影; —

and as they grow they will lean towards you, and wind round you, because your strength offers them so safe a prop.”
它们会不断生长,并向您倾斜、环绕,因为您的力量为它们提供了可靠的支撑。”

Again he smiled: I gave him comfort.
他又微笑了:我给予了他安慰。

“You speak of friends, Jane?” he asked.
“你是在谈论朋友,简?”他犹豫地问道。

“Yes, of friends,” I answered rather hesitatingly: —
“是的,朋友,”我有些犹豫地回答道: —

for I knew I meant more than friends, but could not tell what other word to employ. He helped me.
因为我知道我指的不仅仅是朋友,但我无法找到其他适当的词语来表达。他帮助了我。

“Ah! Jane. But I want a wife.”
“啊,简。但我想要妻子。”

“Do you, sir?”
“是吗,先生?”

“Yes: is it news to you?”
“是的:这对你来说是新闻吗?”

“Of course: you said nothing about it before.”
“当然:之前你什么都没说。”

“Is it unwelcome news?”
“这个消息不受欢迎吗?”

“That depends on circumstances, sir—on your choice.”
“这取决于情况,先生——取决于你的选择。”

“Which you shall make for me, Jane. I will abide by your decision.”
“这个选择就由你来为我做,简。我会听从你的决定。”

“Choose then, sir—her who loves you best.”
“那就选择吧,先生——选择最爱你的那个。”

“I will at least choose—her I love best. Jane, will you marry me?”
“至少我会选择——我最爱的那个。简,你愿意嫁给我吗?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“A poor blind man, whom you will have to lead about by the hand?”
“一个贫穷的盲人,需要你牵着走?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“A crippled man, twenty years older than you, whom you will have to wait on?”
“一个腿脚不便、比你大二十岁的人,需要你照顾?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“Truly, Jane?”
“真的,简?”

“Most truly, sir.”
“非常真实,先生。”

“Oh! my darling! God bless you and reward you!”
“哦!我的宝贝!上帝保佑你,回报你!”

“Mr. Rochester, if ever I did a good deed in my life—if ever I thought a good thought—if ever I prayed a sincere and blameless prayer—if ever I wished a righteous wish,—I am rewarded now. —
“罗切斯特先生,如果我一生中曾做过善事,曾思考过善念,曾默默祈祷过,曾有过正直的愿望——我现在得到了回报。 —

To be your wife is, for me, to be as happy as I can be on earth.”
成为你的妻子对我来说,就是在这个世界上获得最大的幸福。”

“Because you delight in sacrifice.”
“因为你乐于奉献。”

“Sacrifice! What do I sacrifice? Famine for food, expectation for content. —
“奉献!我牺牲了什么?放弃挨饿的日子,期待换来满足的心情。 —

To be privileged to put my arms round what I value—to press my lips to what I love—to repose on what I trust: —
能够抱着我珍视的人,亲吻我所爱的人,依靠我所信任的人。 —

is that to make a sacrifice? If so, then certainly I delight in sacrifice.”
那是要做出牺牲吗?如果是的话,我当然乐意牺牲。

“And to bear with my infirmities, Jane: to overlook my deficiencies.”
“为了容忍我的缺点,简:忽视我的不足。”

“Which are none, sir, to me. I love you better now, when I can really be useful to you, than I did in your state of proud independence, when you disdained every part but that of the giver and protector.”
“对我来说,这些都不是问题。我现在更爱你了,因为我真正对你有用,而不是当你是高傲独立的对象时,你只看重自己给予和保护的角色。”

“Hitherto I have hated to be helped—to be led: henceforth, I feel I shall hate it no more. —
“到目前为止,我讨厌被帮助,被引导:从今以后,我感觉我不再讨厌了。” —

I did not like to put my hand into a hireling’s, but it is pleasant to feel it circled by Jane’s little fingers. —
“我不喜欢把手交到一个雇佣工人的手里,但感觉到简的小手环绕着我的手很愉快。” —

I preferred utter loneliness to the constant attendance of servants; —
“我宁愿完全孤独,也不愿常常有仆人伺候;” —

but Jane’s soft ministry will be a perpetual joy. —
“但简的温柔照料将是永久的快乐。” —

Jane suits me: do I suit her?”
“简适合我,我适合她吗?”

“To the finest fibre of my nature, sir.”
“从我的本性最微小的一丝开始,先生。”

“The case being so, we have nothing in the world to wait for: we must be married instantly.”
“情况如此,我们在世界上没有任何等待的事情:我们必须立刻结婚。”

He looked and spoke with eagerness: his old impetuosity was rising.
他急切地看着并说着,他以前的冲动又上涌了起来。

“We must become one flesh without any delay, Jane: —
“我们必须立即成为一体,简:没有任何拖延。” —

there is but the licence to get—then we marry.”
只需要获得许可证,那么我们就结婚了。

“Mr. Rochester, I have just discovered the sun is far declined from its meridian, and Pilot is actually gone home to his dinner. —
“罗切斯特先生,我刚发现太阳已经从正午处大大偏离了,皮洛特现在已经回家吃饭了。 —

Let me look at your watch.”
让我看看你的手表。”

“Fasten it into your girdle, Janet, and keep it henceforward: I have no use for it.”
“把它别在你的腰带上,珍妮特,以后一直保存着:我不需要它。”

“It is nearly four o’clock in the afternoon, sir. Don’t you feel hungry?”
“现在已经是下午快4点了,先生。你不觉得饿吗?”

“The third day from this must be our wedding-day, Jane. Never mind fine clothes and jewels, now: —
“从今天开始,我们离婚还有三天。现在不用担心漂亮的衣服和珠宝了,这些都不值一哂。” —

all that is not worth a fillip.”
“太阳已经把所有的雨滴都晒干了,先生。风还是停止的:天气很热。”

“The sun has dried up all the rain-drops, sir. The breeze is still: it is quite hot.”
“你知道吗,简,此刻我把你的小珍珠项链系在我的褶裙下面,系在我的领带上?

“Do you know, Jane, I have your little pearl necklace at this moment fastened round my bronze scrag under my cravat? —
“我们将穿过树林回家,那会是最阴凉的路。” —

I have worn it since the day I lost my only treasure, as a memento of her.”
他继续思考自己的想法,不理睬我。

“We will go home through the wood: that will be the shadiest way.”
“简!我想你可能认为我是个不虔诚的人:

He pursued his own thoughts without heeding me.
“简!你可能认为我是个不虔诚的人:

“Jane! you think me, I daresay, an irreligious dog: —
“简!你可能认为我是个不虔诚的人: —

but my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficent God of this earth just now. —
但是此刻,我的心充满了对这个地球上慈善的上帝的感激之情。 —

He sees not as man sees, but far clearer: judges not as man judges, but far more wisely. —
他看得不像人类那样,而是更加清晰;他判断的不像人类那样,而是更加明智。 —

I did wrong: I would have sullied my innocent flower—breathed guilt on its purity: —
我做错了:我本想玷污我的纯洁之花,给它带来罪恶。 —

the Omnipotent snatched it from me. I, in my stiff-necked rebellion, almost cursed the dispensation: instead of bending to the decree, I defied it. —
全能的上帝将它从我身边夺走。在我固执的叛逆中,我几乎诅咒了这种安排:与其屈服于这个决定,我选择了挑战它。 —

Divine justice pursued its course; disasters came thick on me: —
神圣的公正追求着它的诉讼;灾难接踵而来。 —

I was forced to pass through the valley of the shadow of death. His chastisements are mighty; —
我被迫经历死亡之谷。的惩罚是强大的。 —

and one smote me which has humbled me for ever. You know I was proud of my strength: —
其中一击令我永远地谦卑。你知道,我曾为我的力量而骄傲。 —

but what is it now, when I must give it over to foreign guidance, as a child does its weakness? —
但现在,当我必须把它交给外来的引导,就像孩子把它的软弱交给别人一样,它算得了什么呢? —

Of late, Jane—only—only of late—I began to see and acknowledge the hand of God in my doom. —
最近,简—仅仅最近—我开始看到并承认上帝在我的命运中的手。 —

I began to experience remorse, repentance; —
我开始感受到懊悔、忏悔的心情; —

the wish for reconcilement to my Maker. I began sometimes to pray: —
希望与我的造物主和解。我开始有时祈祷。 —

very brief prayers they were, but very sincere.
非常简短的祈祷,但非常真诚。

“Some days since: nay, I can number them—four; —
几天前:不,我能数得清楚——是四天前。 —

it was last Monday night, a singular mood came over me: —
那是上周一晚上,我陷入了一种奇怪的情绪:一种将疯狂替换为悲伤的情绪——一种忧伤、沉闷的情绪。 —

one in which grief replaced frenzy—sorrow, sullenness. —
我一直有这样的感觉,因为再也找不到你,所以你一定已经去世了。 —

I had long had the impression that since I could nowhere find you, you must be dead. —
那天晚上很晚——大概是十一点到十二点之间——在我沉沉的睡意降临之前,我恳求上帝,如果他愿意的话,让我早日离开这个世界,进入那个来世,那里还有与简重逢的希望。 —

Late that night—perhaps it might be between eleven and twelve o’clock—ere I retired to my dreary rest, I supplicated God, that, if it seemed good to Him, I might soon be taken from this life, and admitted to that world to come, where there was still hope of rejoining Jane.
我当时在自己的房间里,坐在敞开的窗前;感受着宜人的夜风使我平静下来;虽然我看不到星星,只能感受到一个朦胧的、微亮的雾气,知道月亮的存在。

“I was in my own room, and sitting by the window, which was open: —
我渴望你,珍妮特!哦,我渴望你,渴望到骨子里! —

it soothed me to feel the balmy night-air; —
我在痛苦和谦卑中向上帝祈求,我是否已经足够长时间孤独、痛苦、折磨了。 —

though I could see no stars and only by a vague, luminous haze, knew the presence of a moon. —
我请求上帝,如果我已经够长时间孤独、受苦、折磨了,是否可以得到解脱。 —

I longed for thee, Janet! Oh, I longed for thee both with soul and flesh! —
我只希望再次与你相聚,珍妮特! —

I asked of God, at once in anguish and humility, if I had not been long enough desolate, afflicted, tormented; —
我乞求上帝,如果他认为合适的话,让我早日离开这个世界,进入那个来世,那里还有与珍妮特重逢的希望。 —

and might not soon taste bliss and peace once more. —
也许不会很快再次品尝到幸福和平静。 —

That I merited all I endured, I acknowledged—that I could scarcely endure more, I pleaded; —
我承认我值得遭受的一切,我苦不堪言,我恳求着。 —

and the alpha and omega of my heart’s wishes broke involuntarily from my lips in the words—‘Jane! Jane! Jane!’”
我心中所有愿望的首尾在我嘴唇上不由自主地喊出了“简!简!简!”的话。

“Did you speak these words aloud?”
你大声说出这些话了吗?

“I did, Jane. If any listener had heard me, he would have thought me mad: —
是的,简。如果有听众听到了,他会认为我疯了。 —

I pronounced them with such frantic energy.”
我用疯狂的力量发出这些话。

“And it was last Monday night, somewhere near midnight?”
这发生在上周一的深夜,大概是午夜左右吧?

“Yes; but the time is of no consequence: what followed is the strange point. —
是的,但时间不重要,重要的是之后发生了奇怪的事情。 —

You will think me superstitious,—some superstition I have in my blood, and always had: —
你可能会认为我迷信,我血液中有某种迷信,而且一直都有。 —

nevertheless, this is true—true at least it is that I heard what I now relate.
然而,这是真的,至少我现在讲的是真的。

“As I exclaimed ‘Jane! Jane! Jane!’ a voice—I cannot tell whence the voice came, but I know whose voice it was—replied, ‘I am coming: —
当我喊出“简!简!简!”的时候,有一个声音回答我,我不知道声音从哪里传来,但我知道声音是谁的——他说:“我来了,等着我。”然后一会儿后,这些字又在风中低语着:“你在哪里?” —

wait for me;’ and a moment after, went whispering on the wind the words—‘Where are you?’
你在哪里?

“I’ll tell you, if I can, the idea, the picture these words opened to my mind: —
“如果我可以的话,我会告诉你这些话在我的脑海中勾起了一个什么样的想象画面: —

yet it is difficult to express what I want to express. —
然而很难用语言表达出我想要表达的意思。 —

Ferndean is buried, as you see, in a heavy wood, where sound falls dull, and dies unreverberating. —
弗恩丁被埋葬在一片浓密的树林中,声音在那里变得沉闷,没有回响。 —

‘Where are you?’ seemed spoken amongst mountains; —
‘你在哪里?’似乎是在山间喊出的话语; —

for I heard a hill-sent echo repeat the words. —
我听到一座山坡传来回声,重复着这些话。 —

Cooler and fresher at the moment the gale seemed to visit my brow: —
狂风拂过我的额头时,感觉更加凉爽和清新; —

I could have deemed that in some wild, lone scene, I and Jane were meeting. —
我几乎可以认为,我和简在某个荒野的孤独场景中相遇了。 —

In spirit, I believe we must have met. You no doubt were, at that hour, in unconscious sleep, Jane: —
在精神上,我相信我们必定曾经相遇。当然,在那个时刻,你可能正在无意识的睡眠中,简: —

perhaps your soul wandered from its cell to comfort mine; —
也许你的灵魂离开了牢笼,来安慰我的灵魂; —

for those were your accents—as certain as I live—they were yours!”
因为那些话语就是你的声音——我活着的确切证明——它们是你的!”

Reader, it was on Monday night—near midnight—that I too had received the mysterious summons: —
读者,在周一的晚上——接近午夜时分,我也收到了这个神秘的召唤: —

those were the very words by which I replied to it. —
这些正是我用来回应的话语。 —

I listened to Mr. Rochester’s narrative, but made no disclosure in return. —
我聆听着罗切斯特先生的叙述,但没有透露出任何信息。 —

The coincidence struck me as too awful and inexplicable to be communicated or discussed. —
这个巧合让我感到非常糟糕和难以解释,无法以言语或讨论的方式传达出来。 —

If I told anything, my tale would be such as must necessarily make a profound impression on the mind of my hearer: —
如果我说了什么,我的故事肯定会在听众的脑海中产生深刻的印象。 —

and that mind, yet from its sufferings too prone to gloom, needed not the deeper shade of the supernatural. —
而那个思绪深陷苦难之中的心灵,并不需要超自然的更深的阴影。 —

I kept these things then, and pondered them in my heart.
因此,我把这些事情放在心里默默地思考着。

“You cannot now wonder,” continued my master, “that when you rose upon me so unexpectedly last night, I had difficulty in believing you any other than a mere voice and vision, something that would melt to silence and annihilation, as the midnight whisper and mountain echo had melted before. —
“你现在不能惊讶,”我的主人接着说,“昨晚你这么突然地出现在我面前,我很难相信你不过是个声音和幻影,会像午夜的低语和山谷的回音一样消失无踪。 —

Now, I thank God! I know it to be otherwise. —
现在,我感谢上帝!我知道事情不是这样的。 —

Yes, I thank God!”
是的,我感谢上帝!”

He put me off his knee, rose, and reverently lifting his hat from his brow, and bending his sightless eyes to the earth, he stood in mute devotion. —
他把我从膝盖上放下来,站起身,虔诚地把帽子从额上拿下来,低下没有视力的眼睛,默默地屈身向着大地,表达着敬意。 —

Only the last words of the worship were audible.
只有最后一句祷告的话听得清楚。

“I thank my Maker, that, in the midst of judgment, he has remembered mercy. —
“我感谢我的造物者,在审判之际,他还记得怜悯。 —

I humbly entreat my Redeemer to give me strength to lead henceforth a purer life than I have done hitherto!”
我谦卑地恳求我的救赎者赐予我力量,使我今后能过上比过去更纯洁的生活!”

Then he stretched his hand out to be led. —
然后他伸出手来让我带领。 —

I took that dear hand, held it a moment to my lips, then let it pass round my shoulder: —
我握住了那双亲爱的手,亲了一下,然后让它绕过我的肩膀: —

being so much lower of stature than he, I served both for his prop and guide. —
由于我比他低很多,所以我兼作他的支撑和向导。 —

We entered the wood, and wended homeward.
我们走进了树林,向家的方向走去。