A splendid Midsummer shone over England: skies so pure, suns so radiant as were then seen in long succession, seldom favour even singly, our wave-girt land. —
一个辉煌的仲夏照耀着英格兰:天空如此清澈,太阳如此明亮,长时间连续的出现极少有,即使是单独的,也很少有对我们这个环绕着波涛的土地的恩赐。 —

It was as if a band of Italian days had come from the South, like a flock of glorious passenger birds, and lighted to rest them on the cliffs of Albion. —
仿佛一群意大利的日子从南方飞来,像一群辉煌的旅鸟,落在了不列颠的崖上,休息一下。 —

The hay was all got in; the fields round Thornfield were green and shorn; —
干草都堆进来了;索恩菲尔德周围的田野又绿又齐整; —

the roads white and baked; the trees were in their dark prime; —
公路洁白而被烘焙;树木正处于它们深色的全盛期; —

hedge and wood, full-leaved and deeply tinted, contrasted well with the sunny hue of the cleared meadows between.
篱笆和树林,长满绿叶且色彩浓郁,与清晰的草地阳光色形成了鲜明的对比。

On Midsummer-eve, Adèle, weary with gathering wild strawberries in Hay Lane half the day, had gone to bed with the sun. —
在仲夏前夜,疲惫的艾黛尔在海莱恩采集野草莓的过程中,半天都在太阳下工作,然后和太阳一起上床睡觉。 —

I watched her drop asleep, and when I left her, I sought the garden.
我看着她入睡,离开她后,我来到了花园。

It was now the sweetest hour of the twenty-four: —
现在是一天中最甜美的时刻: —

—“Day its fervid fires had wasted,” and dew fell cool on panting plain and scorched summit. —
- “太阳炙热的火焰已经消耗殆尽”,露水凉爽地落在气喘吁吁的平原和炙热的山巅上。 —

Where the sun had gone down in simple state—pure of the pomp of clouds—spread a solemn purple, burning with the light of red jewel and furnace flame at one point, on one hill-peak, and extending high and wide, soft and still softer, over half heaven. —
太阳已经在简单的状态下落山了 - 没有华丽的云彩 - 整个空中弥漫着庄严的紫色,如红宝石和火炉火焰的光芒,在一个山峰的一个点上燃烧,高高地延伸,轻柔而越来越温柔,覆盖了半个天空。 —

The east had its own charm or fine deep blue, and its own modest gem, a rising and solitary star: —
东方有着它自己的魅力或美丽的深蓝色,还有它自己谦逊的宝石,一个升起的孤星: —

soon it would boast the moon; but she was yet beneath the horizon.
很快它将拥有月亮;但她现在还在地平线下。

I walked a while on the pavement; but a subtle, well-known scent—that of a cigar—stole from some window; —
我在人行道上走了一会儿;但是一个熟悉的、隐秘的香味 - 雪茄的香味 - 从某个窗口飘来; —

I saw the library casement open a handbreadth; I knew I might be watched thence; —
我看到图书馆的窗户微微打开;我知道可能被从那里观察到; —

so I went apart into the orchard. No nook in the grounds more sheltered and more Eden-like; —
所以我走到了果园里。庭院里没有比这个更隐蔽、更像伊甸园的地方了; —

it was full of trees, it bloomed with flowers: —
它布满了树木,开满了鲜花; —

a very high wall shut it out from the court, on one side; —
一面非常高的墙将其与庭院隔开; —

on the other, a beech avenue screened it from the lawn. At the bottom was a sunk fence; —
在另一面,一条山毛榉大道将其屏蔽在草坪后面。底部是一道下沉的篱笆; —

its sole separation from lonely fields: a winding walk, bordered with laurels and terminating in a giant horse-chestnut, circled at the base by a seat, led down to the fence. —
它与寂寥的田野形成了唯一的分离:一条蜿蜒的小路,两旁是月桂树,在一棵巨大的马栗树的底部绕了一圈,底座上还有一个座位,一直通向围栏。 —

Here one could wander unseen. While such honey-dew fell, such silence reigned, such gloaming gathered, I felt as if I could haunt such shade for ever; —
在这里,人可以无人察觉地漫步。当蜜露降落时,寂静主宰了一切,蒙蔽笼罩着一切,我感觉好像永远可以在这样的阴影中徘徊; —

but in threading the flower and fruit parterres at the upper part of the enclosure, enticed there by the light the now rising moon cast on this more open quarter, my step is stayed—not by sound, not by sight, but once more by a warning fragrance.
但是,在穿过围栏上部的花卉和果树区时,被现在上升的月亮照亮的这个更开阔的地方所吸引,我的脚步停了下来 — 不是因为声音,不是因为视觉,而是再次因为一种警告般的芬芳。

Sweet-briar and southernwood, jasmine, pink, and rose have long been yielding their evening sacrifice of incense: —
月季和南方木,茉莉花,粉色和玫瑰花,它们早已在晚间献上了它们的香气祭品。 —

this new scent is neither of shrub nor flower; —
这种新的香味既不是灌木也不是花朵; —

it is—I know it well—it is Mr. Rochester’s cigar. I look round and I listen. —
我知道得很清楚,这是罗切斯特先生的雪茄。我环顾四周,倾听四周。 —

I see trees laden with ripening fruit. I hear a nightingale warbling in a wood half a mile off; —
我看到树上挂满了成熟的果实。我听到了一只夜莺在半英里外的树林中歌唱; —

no moving form is visible, no coming step audible; but that perfume increases: I must flee. —
没有看到任何移动的形态,没有听到任何脚步声;但这股香水的味道越来越浓:我必须逃离。 —

I make for the wicket leading to the shrubbery, and I see Mr. Rochester entering. —
我走向通往灌木丛的小门,正好看到罗切斯特先生走进来。 —

I step aside into the ivy recess; he will not stay long: —
我躲到了常青藤的小洞里;他不会呆很久: —

he will soon return whence he came, and if I sit still he will never see me.
他不久会回到他来的地方,如果我坐在这里他永远也看不见我。

But no—eventide is as pleasant to him as to me, and this antique garden as attractive; —
但是不对—傍晚对他来说和对我一样愉快,这个古老的花园也很吸引他; —

and he strolls on, now lifting the gooseberry-tree branches to look at the fruit, large as plums, with which they are laden; —
他漫步着,时而抬起醋栗树枝看着结满果实的大梅子一样的果实; —

now taking a ripe cherry from the wall; now stooping towards a knot of flowers, either to inhale their fragrance or to admire the dew-beads on their petals. —
时而从墙上摘下一个成熟的樱桃;时而俯身看着一簇花朵,要么是为了吸吮它们的芬芳,要么是为了欣赏花瓣上的露珠。 —

A great moth goes humming by me; it alights on a plant at Mr. Rochester’s foot: —
一只大蛾子嗡嗡地飞过我身边;它停在了罗切斯特先生脚下的一株植物上: —

he sees it, and bends to examine it.
他看到了它,并弯下腰去仔细观察。

“Now, he has his back towards me,” thought I, “and he is occupied too; —
“现在,他背对着我,”我想,“而且他也在忙着; —

perhaps, if I walk softly, I can slip away unnoticed.”
也许,如果我轻轻走动,我可以悄悄溜走。”

I trode on an edging of turf that the crackle of the pebbly gravel might not betray me: —
我小心地踏在草坪边缘上,希望不会因为碎石的咯咯声而被发现。 —

he was standing among the beds at a yard or two distant from where I had to pass; —
他站在离我必须经过的地方几码远的花坛中。 —

the moth apparently engaged him. “I shall get by very well,” I meditated. —
那只飞蛾似乎吸引了他的注意力。“我应该可以顺利通过。”我心里想着。 —

As I crossed his shadow, thrown long over the garden by the moon, not yet risen high, he said quietly, without turning—
当我穿过他的身影,它在月亮未完全升起时在花园上投下的长影中,他不转身地平静地说道。

“Jane, come and look at this fellow.”
“简,过来看看这只家伙。”

I had made no noise: he had not eyes behind—could his shadow feel? —
我没有制造任何噪音:他的身影不可能有眼睛后方-难道他的阴影能感受到吗? —

I started at first, and then I approached him.
起初我吓了一跳,然后走近他。

“Look at his wings,” said he, “he reminds me rather of a West Indian insect; —
“看看他的翅膀,”他说,“他有点像西印度的昆虫;在英国很少见到如此大而美丽的夜游者; —

one does not often see so large and gay a night-rover in England; —
就是这样!它飞走了。” —

there! he is flown.”
飞蛾飞走了。我也尴尬地退后;

The moth roamed away. I was sheepishly retreating also; —
但罗切斯特先生跟着我,当我们到达小门时,他说道: —

but Mr. Rochester followed me, and when we reached the wicket, he said—
“转身吧:在如此美丽的夜晚,守在屋里实在可惜;

“Turn back: on so lovely a night it is a shame to sit in the house; —
出去吧,呼吸新鲜空气。” —

and surely no one can wish to go to bed while sunset is thus at meeting with moonrise.”
而且肯定没有人愿意在日落时与月亮升起相遇时上床睡觉。

It is one of my faults, that though my tongue is sometimes prompt enough at an answer, there are times when it sadly fails me in framing an excuse; —
这是我的一个缺点,虽然我的舌头有时可以迅速回答,但有时它在编造借口时令我非常失望。 —

and always the lapse occurs at some crisis, when a facile word or plausible pretext is specially wanted to get me out of painful embarrassment. —
而且总是在某个关键时刻发生这种失误,当需要一个巧妙的词语或冠冕堂皇的借口特别能帮我摆脱尴尬时。 —

I did not like to walk at this hour alone with Mr. Rochester in the shadowy orchard; —
我不喜欢在这个时候独自与罗切斯特先生走在阴影密布的果园里。 —

but I could not find a reason to allege for leaving him. —
但我找不到离开他的理由。 —

I followed with lagging step, and thoughts busily bent on discovering a means of extrication; —
我带着蹒跚的步伐跟在后面,思想忙于寻找解脱的方法。 —

but he himself looked so composed and so grave also, I became ashamed of feeling any confusion: —
但他本人看起来如此沉着和庄重,我为感到任何困惑而感到羞愧: —

the evil—if evil existent or prospective there was—seemed to lie with me only; —
如果邪恶存在或有可能存在,它似乎只与我有关; —

his mind was unconscious and quiet.
他的思想无意识而宁静。

“Jane,” he recommenced, as we entered the laurel walk, and slowly strayed down in the direction of the sunk fence and the horse-chestnut, “Thornfield is a pleasant place in summer, is it not?”
“简,”他重新开始说道,当我们走进月桂树林道时,慢慢地沿着向下的方向漫步着,朝着那个下沉的栅栏和马栗树走去,“索恩菲尔德在夏天是一个宜人的地方,不是吗?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“You must have become in some degree attached to the house,—you, who have an eye for natural beauties, and a good deal of the organ of Adhesiveness?”
“你一定对这个房子产生了一些情感吧——你,那个善于欣赏自然美的人,还有相当程度的归属感。”

“I am attached to it, indeed.”
“我确实对它有感情。”

“And though I don’t comprehend how it is, I perceive you have acquired a degree of regard for that foolish little child Adèle, too; —
“虽然我不明白是怎么回事,但我察觉到你也对那个愚蠢的小孩阿黛尔产生了一定程度的情感; —

and even for simple dame Fairfax?”
还有那个简单的费尔法克斯女士?”

“Yes, sir; in different ways, I have an affection for both.”
“是的,先生;我以不同的方式对两者都有感情。”

“And would be sorry to part with them?”
“而且会为了离开它们而感到遗憾?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Pity!” he said, and sighed and paused. —
“可惜!”他说着,叹了口气,停顿了一下。 —

“It is always the way of events in this life,” he continued presently: —
“这就是生活中事件的常态,”他继续说道: —

“no sooner have you got settled in a pleasant resting-place, than a voice calls out to you to rise and move on, for the hour of repose is expired.”
“你一旦在一个宜人的休息地安顿下来,不久就会有一个声音呼唤你站起来继续前进,因为休憩的时刻已经结束了。”

“Must I move on, sir?” I asked. “Must I leave Thornfield?”
“先生,我必须继续前进吗?我必须离开索恩菲尔德吗?”

“I believe you must, Jane. I am sorry, Janet, but I believe indeed you must.”
“我相信,珍,我很抱歉,但我确实相信你必须离开。”

This was a blow: but I did not let it prostrate me.
这是个沉重的打击,但我没有被击倒。

“Well, sir, I shall be ready when the order to march comes.”
“好吧,先生,当行军的命令下达时,我会准备好的。”

“It is come now—I must give it to-night.”
“现在就下达了,我必须在今晚执行。”

“Then you are going to be married, sir?”
“那么,先生,您要结婚了吗?”

“Ex-act-ly—pre-cise-ly: with your usual acuteness, you have hit the nail straight on the head.”
“确切地说,用你的敏锐,你直戳要害。”

“Soon, sir?”
“很快吗,先生?”

“Very soon, my—that is, Miss Eyre: and you’ll remember, Jane, the first time I, or Rumour, plainly intimated to you that it was my intention to put my old bachelor’s neck into the sacred noose, to enter into the holy estate of matrimony—to take Miss Ingram to my bosom, in short (she’s an extensive armful: —
“非常快,我的-那就是,简小姐,你会记得,当我或者谣言向你明确表示我打算把我的老光棍脖子套上神圣的绞索,进入神圣的婚姻状态,把英格拉姆小姐拥入怀中时(她是个大块头: —

but that’s not to the point—one can’t have too much of such a very excellent thing as my beautiful Blanche): —
但这无关紧要-没有人会对像我这样绝佳的事物有太多的渴望:我的美丽的布兰奇)。 —

well, as I was saying—listen to me, Jane! —
好了,正如我所说的-听我说,简! —

You’re not turning your head to look after more moths, are you? —
你不会扭过头去再看更多的飞蛾,对吧? —

That was only a lady-clock, child, ‘flying away home. —
那只是一只飞翔回家的钟,孩子。 —

’ I wish to remind you that it was you who first said to me, with that discretion I respect in you—with that foresight, prudence, and humility which befit your responsible and dependent position—that in case I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adèle had better trot forthwith. —
我想提醒你,当初是你先对我说的,你在这种谨慎、预见和谦虚的前提下表示,如果我娶了英格拉姆小姐,你和小阿黛最好立刻离开。 —

I pass over the sort of slur conveyed in this suggestion on the character of my beloved; —
我无视了这个建议对我心爱的人品格的侮辱。 —

indeed, when you are far away, Janet, I’ll try to forget it: I shall notice only its wisdom; —
实际上,当你远离的时候,珍妮特,我会试着忘记它,只注意它的智慧。 —

which is such that I have made it my law of action. —
这种智慧已成为我行动的准则。 —

Adèle must go to school; and you, Miss Eyre, must get a new situation.”
阿黛勒必须去上学,而你,艾尔小姐,必须找到一个新的工作。

“Yes, sir, I will advertise immediately: —
“是的,先生,我会立即登广告。 —

and meantime, I suppose—” I was going to say, “I suppose I may stay here, till I find another shelter to betake myself to: —
同时,我想…”我正要说,“同时我可以在这里待到我找到另一个庇护所吗?” —

” but I stopped, feeling it would not do to risk a long sentence, for my voice was not quite under command.
但是我停下来了,感觉冒险得到一段很长的句子是不明智的,因为我的声音还没有完全掌控。

“In about a month I hope to be a bridegroom,” continued Mr. Rochester; —
罗切斯特先生继续说道:“大约一个月后,我希望成为新郎, —

“and in the interim, I shall myself look out for employment and an asylum for you.”
“在此期间,我会为你自己寻找工作和住所。”

“Thank you, sir; I am sorry to give—”
“谢谢,先生;很抱歉给您添麻烦。”

“Oh, no need to apologise! I consider that when a dependent does her duty as well as you have done yours, she has a sort of claim upon her employer for any little assistance he can conveniently render her; —
“哦,无需道歉!我认为当一个依赖于别人的人尽了她的职责,就有权要求雇主在适当的情况下给予一些帮助; —

indeed I have already, through my future mother-in-law, heard of a place that I think will suit: —
我已经通过我的未来岳母得知了一个我认为适合的地方: —

it is to undertake the education of the five daughters of Mrs. Dionysius O’Gall of Bitternutt Lodge, Connaught, Ireland. —
那是在爱尔兰康诺特的比特纳特别墅,你会喜欢爱尔兰的,他们说那里的人非常热情。” —

You’ll like Ireland, I think: they’re such warm-hearted people there, they say.”
“那离这里很远,先生。”

“It is a long way off, sir.”
“没关系,一个聪明的女孩对航行或距离应该没有异议。”

“No matter—a girl of your sense will not object to the voyage or the distance.”
“无论如何,你会喜欢爱尔兰的,我确定。”

“Not the voyage, but the distance: and then the sea is a barrier—”
“不是航行的距离,而是距离:而且海水是一个障碍—”

“From what, Jane?”
“距离什么,简?”

“From England and from Thornfield: and—”
“距离英格兰和索恩菲尔德:还有—”

“Well?”
“嗯?”

“From you, sir.”
“距离你,先生。”

I said this almost involuntarily, and, with as little sanction of free will, my tears gushed out. —
我几乎是不由自主地说出了这句话,眼泪也涌了出来。 —

I did not cry so as to be heard, however; I avoided sobbing. —
然而,我没有哭得声嘶力竭;我避免了抽泣。 —

The thought of Mrs. O’Gall and Bitternutt Lodge struck cold to my heart; —
奥加尔太太和比特纳特小屋的想法让我心寒; —

and colder the thought of all the brine and foam, destined, as it seemed, to rush between me and the master at whose side I now walked, and coldest the remembrance of the wider ocean—wealth, caste, custom intervened between me and what I naturally and inevitably loved.
更让我心寒的是,所有的盐水和泡沫,似乎都注定要在我和现在我旁边走着的主人之间涌来,最冰冷的是对更广阔的海洋的记忆-财富,阶级,习俗隔着我与我天生必然爱的人之间。

“It is a long way,” I again said.
“这是一段很长的路,我又说道。

“It is, to be sure; and when you get to Bitternutt Lodge, Connaught, Ireland, I shall never see you again, Jane: —
“确实是,当你到达康诺特的比特纳特小屋时,我再也见不到你了,简: —

that’s morally certain. I never go over to Ireland, not having myself much of a fancy for the country. —
这是肯定的。我从来不去爱尔兰,也不太喜欢那个国家。 —

We have been good friends, Jane; have we not?”
我们一直是好朋友,简,是吧?

“Yes, sir.”
是的,先生。

“And when friends are on the eve of separation, they like to spend the little time that remains to them close to each other. —
当朋友们即将分别之际,他们喜欢在剩下的短暂时间里紧靠在一起。 —

Come! we’ll talk over the voyage and the parting quietly half-an-hour or so, while the stars enter into their shining life up in heaven yonder: —
来吧!我们一边谈论航程和分别,一边静静地度过半个小时,而星星在天上闪烁着它们的生命。 —

here is the chestnut tree: here is the bench at its old roots. —
这里是栗树,这里是它古老的根部的长凳。 —

Come, we will sit there in peace to-night, though we should never more be destined to sit there together. —
来吧,我们今晚将在那里安静地坐着,尽管我们也许再也无法一起坐在那里了。 —

” He seated me and himself.
他把我和自己都请坐下。

“It is a long way to Ireland, Janet, and I am sorry to send my little friend on such weary travels: but if I can’t do better, how is it to be helped? —
“去爱尔兰的路很远,简妮特,我很抱歉让我这位小朋友经历这么辛苦的旅行,但如果我无法做得更好,怎么办呢? —

Are you anything akin to me, do you think, Jane?”
你觉得我们是否有亲戚关系,简?

I could risk no sort of answer by this time: my heart was still.
我已经不敢回答了,此时我的心还是一片空白。

“Because,” he said, “I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you—especially when you are near me, as now: —
“因为,”他说,“我有时对你有一种奇怪的感觉,特别是当你靠近我时,就像现在这样。” —

it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. —
就好像我体内的某根绳子,紧紧地、无法解开地绑在你那儿的相应位置。 —

And if that boisterous Channel, and two hundred miles or so of land come broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; —
如果那个喧闹的海峡和大约两百英里的陆地横在我们中间,我担心我们之间的这根联系之线会被剪断, —

and then I’ve a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly. —
然后我会紧张地感到我内心在出血。 —

As for you,—you’d forget me.”
至于你,你会忘记我。”

“That I never should, sir: you know—” Impossible to proceed.
“我永远都不会,先生:你知道的——”无法继续说下去。

“Jane, do you hear that nightingale singing in the wood? Listen!”
“简,你听到那只在林中唱歌的夜莺吗?仔细听!”

In listening, I sobbed convulsively; for I could repress what I endured no longer; —
我在倾听时,痛苦地断断续续地抽泣;因为我再也无法压抑我所忍受的一切, —

I was obliged to yield, and I was shaken from head to foot with acute distress. —
我被迫屈服,震动着全身,体验着剧烈的痛苦。 —

When I did speak, it was only to express an impetuous wish that I had never been born, or never come to Thornfield.
当我说话时,只是表达了一种冲动的愿望,希望自己从未出生,或者从未来到索恩菲尔德。

“Because you are sorry to leave it?”
“因为你舍不得离开它?”

The vehemence of emotion, stirred by grief and love within me, was claiming mastery, and struggling for full sway, and asserting a right to predominate, to overcome, to live, rise, and reign at last: —
激情的热烈,由我内心的悲伤和爱情引发,正在主宰,为了完全地支配而奋斗,声称有权凌驾于上,最终活下来,崛起并统治: —

yes,—and to speak.
是的 - 并且开口说话。

“I grieve to leave Thornfield: I love Thornfield: —
“我悲伤地离开索恩菲尔德:我热爱索恩菲尔德: —

—I love it, because I have lived in it a full and delightful life,—momentarily at least. —
我之所以喜欢它,是因为我在这里度过了充实而愉快的生活 - 至少一度。 —

I have not been trampled on. I have not been petrified. —
我没有被践踏。我没有被石化。 —

I have not been buried with inferior minds, and excluded from every glimpse of communion with what is bright and energetic and high. —
我没有与低下的思维同埋,被剥夺与光明、活力和高尚交流的一瞥。 —

I have talked, face to face, with what I reverence, with what I delight in,—with an original, a vigorous, an expanded mind. —
我已经面对面地与我所尊敬、所喜欢、拥有独立、精力充沛、思维广博的头脑交谈过。 —

I have known you, Mr. Rochester; and it strikes me with terror and anguish to feel I absolutely must be torn from you for ever. —
我认识了你,罗切斯特先生;而想到我绝对必须永远和你分离,这让我感到恐惧和痛苦。 —

I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of death.”
我看到了离开的必要性;这就像看到了死亡的必然性一样。”

“Where do you see the necessity?” he asked suddenly.
“你在哪里看到了必要性?”他突然问道。

“Where? You, sir, have placed it before me.”
“在哪里?先生,您将它放在我面前。”

“In what shape?”
“以什么形式?”

“In the shape of Miss Ingram; a noble and beautiful woman,—your bride.”
“以英格拉姆小姐的形象;一位崇高而美丽的女人——你的新娘。”

“My bride! What bride? I have no bride!”
“我的新娘!什么新娘?我没有新娘!”

“But you will have.”
“但你会有的。”

“Yes;—I will!—I will!” He set his teeth.
“是的;我会有的!我肯定会有!”。他咬紧了牙关。

“Then I must go:—you have said it yourself.”
“那么我必须离开:你自己也说过了。”

“No: you must stay! I swear it—and the oath shall be kept.”
“不,你必须留下!我发誓——我会履行誓言。”

“I tell you I must go!” I retorted, roused to something like passion. —
“我告诉你我必须走!”我回答道,激动得近乎愤怒。 —

“Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton? —
“你以为我可以留下成为你的无物?你以为我是一个机器人? —

—a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? —
——一个没有感情的机器?我能忍受我的面包从口中被夺走,我的活水从杯中被打翻? —

Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? —
你以为,因为我贫穷、默默无闻、普通而微小,我没有灵魂和心? —

You think wrong!—I have as much soul as you,—and full as much heart! —
你错了!——我有和你一样多的灵魂,和同样充实的心! —

And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. —
如果上帝赐予我美丽和财富,我将让你离开我变得像现在我离开你一样困难。 —

I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh; —
我现在不是通过习俗、约定俗成,甚至不是通过人类的肉体与你交流; —

—it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; —
——是我的灵魂在与你的灵魂对话; —

just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God’s feet, equal,—as we are!”
就像我们已经经历了坟墓,站在上帝脚前一样平等——因为我们就是这样的!

“As we are!” repeated Mr. Rochester—“so,” he added, enclosing me in his arms, gathering me to his breast, pressing his lips on my lips: “so, Jane!”
“因为我们就是这样的!”罗切斯特先生重复道——他补充说,将我拥入怀中,紧抱着我,亲吻我的嘴唇:”就是这样,简!”

“Yes, so, sir,” I rejoined: “and yet not so; —
“是的,就是这样,先生,”我回答道:”但又不完全是这样; —

for you are a married man—or as good as a married man, and wed to one inferior to you—to one with whom you have no sympathy—whom I do not believe you truly love; —
因为你是一个已婚的男人,或者说是一个与你不相称的女人结婚的人,一个我不相信你真爱的人; —

for I have seen and heard you sneer at her. —
因为我见过你嘲笑她。 —

I would scorn such a union: therefore I am better than you—let me go!”
我会鄙视这样的婚姻:因此我比你更好——让我离开吧!

“Where, Jane? To Ireland?”
“去哪里,简?去爱尔兰?”

“Yes—to Ireland. I have spoken my mind, and can go anywhere now.”
“是的-去爱尔兰。我已经说了我的想法,现在可以去任何地方了。”

“Jane, be still; don’t struggle so, like a wild frantic bird that is rending its own plumage in its desperation.”
“简,静下来,不要像一只狂野的疯鸟一样挣扎,撕裂自己的羽毛。”

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will, which I now exert to leave you.”
“我不是一只鸟,没有网能束缚我;我是一个拥有独立意志的自由人,我现在要运用这个意志离开你。”

Another effort set me at liberty, and I stood erect before him.
又一次努力使我得到自由,我站在他面前挺直了身子。

“And your will shall decide your destiny,” he said: —
“你的意志将决定你的命运,”他说: —

“I offer you my hand, my heart, and a share of all my possessions.”
“我向你伸出我的手,我的心,以及我所有的财产的一部分。”

“You play a farce, which I merely laugh at.”
“你在演一出闹剧,而我只是对此嗤之以鼻。”

“I ask you to pass through life at my side—to be my second self, and best earthly companion.”
“我请你与我共度生活-成为我最亲密的伴侣。”

“For that fate you have already made your choice, and must abide by it.”
“至于你的命运,你已经做出了选择,必须承受它。”

“Jane, be still a few moments: you are over-excited: I will be still too.”
“简,静静片刻:你过于激动了,我也会保持安静。”

A waft of wind came sweeping down the laurel-walk, and trembled through the boughs of the chestnut: —
一股微风掠过月桂树林,颤动着栗树的树枝: —

it wandered away—away—to an indefinite distance—it died. —
它飘散远去-远去-到一个不确定的地方-然后消失。 —

The nightingale’s song was then the only voice of the hour: in listening to it, I again wept. —
夜莺的歌声成了此时唯一的声音:倾听它,我再次哭泣。 —

Mr. Rochester sat quiet, looking at me gently and seriously. —
罗切斯特先生静静地坐着,温和而认真地看着我。 —

Some time passed before he spoke; he at last said—
过了一些时间他才开口,最终他说道——

“Come to my side, Jane, and let us explain and understand one another.”
“来到我的身边,简,让我们互相解释和理解。”

“I will never again come to your side: I am torn away now, and cannot return.”
“我再也不会来到你身边了:我被拽开了,无法回去。”

“But, Jane, I summon you as my wife: it is you only I intend to marry.”
“但是,简,我呼唤你作为我的妻子:只想娶你。”

I was silent: I thought he mocked me.
我保持沉默:我以为他在嘲笑我。

“Come, Jane—come hither.”
“来吧,简——过来。”

“Your bride stands between us.”
“你的新娘站在我们之间。”

He rose, and with a stride reached me.
他站起身,一步跨到我面前。

“My bride is here,” he said, again drawing me to him, “because my equal is here, and my likeness. —
“我的新娘就在这里,” 他说着,再次将我拉到他怀里, “因为我的伴侣在这里,我的相似之处在这里。 —

Jane, will you marry me?”
简,你愿意嫁给我吗?”

Still I did not answer, and still I writhed myself from his grasp: for I was still incredulous.
我仍然没有回答,仍然挣脱他的束缚:因为我仍然难以置信。

“Do you doubt me, Jane?”
“你怀疑我,简吗?”

“Entirely.”
“完全怀疑。”

“You have no faith in me?”
“你对我没有信心吗?”

“Not a whit.”
“一点都没有。”

“Am I a liar in your eyes?” he asked passionately. “Little sceptic, you shall be convinced. —
“在你眼中,我是个撒谎者吗?”他激动地问道。“小怀疑者,你将会被我所说服。 —

What love have I for Miss Ingram? None: and that you know. What love has she for me? None: —
我对英格拉姆小姐有何爱意?没有:而且你也知道。她对我有何爱意?没有: —

as I have taken pains to prove: I caused a rumour to reach her that my fortune was not a third of what was supposed, and after that I presented myself to see the result; —
正如我所努力证明的那样:我故意让传言传到她那里,说我的财富并不是人们所想象的三分之一,然后我亲自去看结果; —

it was coldness both from her and her mother. I would not—I could not—marry Miss Ingram. —
她和她的母亲都变得冷淡了。我不会-我不能-娶英格拉姆小姐。 —

You—you strange, you almost unearthly thing!—I love as my own flesh. —
你-你这个奇怪的、近乎超凡的存在!-我爱你如同我自己的血肉。 —

You—poor and obscure, and small and plain as you are—I entreat to accept me as a husband.”
你,贫穷无名,普通而朴素—我恳求你收我为丈夫。

“What, me!” I ejaculated, beginning in his earnestness—and especially in his incivility—to credit his sincerity: —
“什么?!”我不禁发出感叹,从他的认真以及他的粗鲁中开始相信他的真诚:“我连一个朋友都没有,除非你是我的朋友;除了你给我的一毛钱我一文不值。” —

“me who have not a friend in the world but you—if you are my friend: —
“你,简,我必须拥有你–完全属于我。你愿意成为我的吗?快说是。” —

not a shilling but what you have given me?”
“罗切斯特先生,让我看看你的脸,转向月光。”

“You, Jane, I must have you for my own—entirely my own. Will you be mine? Say yes, quickly.”
“为什么?”

“Mr. Rochester, let me look at your face: turn to the moonlight.”
“因为我想读懂你的表情–转过来!”

“Why?”
“在那里!你会发现它几乎比被揉皱的、刮过的纸还要难以辨认。”

“Because I want to read your countenance—turn!”
继续读吧:只是快点,因为我很痛苦。

“There! you will find it scarcely more legible than a crumpled, scratched page. —
他的脸非常激动,非常潮红,面部有强烈的动作,眼睛里有奇怪的闪光。 —

Read on: only make haste, for I suffer.”
“哦,简,你折磨我!”他叫道。

His face was very much agitated and very much flushed, and there were strong workings in the features, and strange gleams in the eyes.
“用那种探询的,又忠诚又慷慨的眼神,你折磨我!”

“Oh, Jane, you torture me!” he exclaimed. —
“Oh, 简,你折磨我!”他叫道。 —

“With that searching and yet faithful and generous look, you torture me!”
“用那种触动又忠诚又慷慨的眼神,你折磨我!”

“How can I do that? If you are true, and your offer real, my only feelings to you must be gratitude and devotion—they cannot torture.”
“我该怎么做?如果你是真实的,你的提议是真实的,我对你唯一的感受必须是感激和奉献,不能折磨。”

“Gratitude!” he ejaculated; and added wildly—“Jane accept me quickly. —
“感激!”他突然说道,然后狂野地补充道,“请立即接受我。” —

Say, Edward—give me my name—Edward—I will marry you.”
“说,爱德华——给我我的名字——爱德华——我会嫁给你。”

“Are you in earnest? Do you truly love me? Do you sincerely wish me to be your wife?”
“你是认真的吗?你真的爱我吗?你真心希望我成为你的妻子吗?”

“I do; and if an oath is necessary to satisfy you, I swear it.”
“是的,如果需要发誓来让你满意,我愿意发誓。”

“Then, sir, I will marry you.”
“那么,先生,我愿意嫁给你。”

“Edward—my little wife!”
“爱德华——我的小妻子!”

“Dear Edward!”
“亲爱的爱德华!”

“Come to me—come to me entirely now,” said he; —
“来到我身边——现在完全属于我”,他说, —

and added, in his deepest tone, speaking in my ear as his cheek was laid on mine, “Make my happiness—I will make yours.”
后加重声调,将嘴贴在我的耳边,说道:“成全我的幸福,我会成全你的幸福。”

“God pardon me!” he subjoined ere long; —
“上帝宽恕我!”他不久之后补充道, —

“and man meddle not with me: I have her, and will hold her.”
人别来干涉我:我得到了她,我会把她留在身边。”

“There is no one to meddle, sir. I have no kindred to interfere.”
“没有人来干涉,先生。我没有亲戚来阻止。”

“No—that is the best of it,” he said. —
“没有,这就是最好的,”他说道。 —

And if I had loved him less I should have thought his accent and look of exultation savage; —
如果我对他的爱少一些,我可能会认为他的口音和狂喜的神情很野蛮; —

but, sitting by him, roused from the nightmare of parting—called to the paradise of union—I thought only of the bliss given me to drink in so abundant a flow. —
但坐在他身边时,从分别的噩梦中惊醒,在融合的天堂中呼唤着,我只想着如此丰富而弥足珍贵的幸福。 —

Again and again he said, “Are you happy, Jane? —
他一次又一次地问:“你快乐吗,简?” —

” And again and again I answered, “Yes.” After which he murmured, “It will atone—it will atone. —
我一次又一次地回答:“是的。”之后,他喃喃道:“这将会弥补一切—它将会弥补一切。 —

Have I not found her friendless, and cold, and comfortless? —
我不是找到了她吗?孤独、冰冷、无助的她? —

Will I not guard, and cherish, and solace her? —
我不会守护、珍惜、安慰她吗? —

Is there not love in my heart, and constancy in my resolves? It will expiate at God’s tribunal. —
我的心中不是充满了爱吗,我的决心不是坚定不移吗?这将会在上帝的法庭上弥补一切。 —

I know my Maker sanctions what I do. For the world’s judgment—I wash my hands thereof. —
我知道我的造物主认可我所做的。对于世人的评判—我洗手不干。 —

For man’s opinion—I defy it.”
对于众人的意见—我蔑视之。”

But what had befallen the night? The moon was not yet set, and we were all in shadow: —
但是发生了什么?月亮还没有落下,我们都被阴影笼罩: —

I could scarcely see my master’s face, near as I was. And what ailed the chestnut tree? —
我近在咫尺却几乎看不清我的主人的脸。栗色的树木又发生了什么事情? —

it writhed and groaned; while wind roared in the laurel walk, and came sweeping over us.
它扭动着、呻吟着;而风在月桂步道上怒吼着,向我们席卷而来。

“We must go in,” said Mr. Rochester: “the weather changes. —
“我们必须进去了,”罗切斯特先生说道:”天气变了。 —

I could have sat with thee till morning, Jane.”
我本可以与你坐到天亮的,简。

“And so,” thought I, “could I with you. —
我想,我也可以和你一起坐到天亮。 —

” I should have said so, perhaps, but a livid, vivid spark leapt out of a cloud at which I was looking, and there was a crack, a crash, and a close rattling peal; —
也许我本应该这样说,但是我正注视着一团乌云中跳出一道苍白而鲜艳的火花,接着就是一声砰然巨响和一阵连绵不断的震耳欲聋的雷声; —

and I thought only of hiding my dazzled eyes against Mr. Rochester’s shoulder.
我只想躲在罗切斯特先生的肩膀上遮住被闪光弄得迷眩的双眼。

The rain rushed down. He hurried me up the walk, through the grounds, and into the house; —
雨如注倾盆而下。他急忙拉着我穿过园子中的小路,进入房子内; —

but we were quite wet before we could pass the threshold. —
但我们在越过门槛之前已经被浇得湿透了。 —

He was taking off my shawl in the hall, and shaking the water out of my loosened hair, when Mrs. Fairfax emerged from her room. —
他正在门厅里帮我脱去披肩,甩掉湿漉漉的发丝时,费尔法克斯夫人走出了她的房间。 —

I did not observe her at first, nor did Mr. Rochester. —
起初,我没有注意到她,罗切斯特先生也没注意到她。 —

The lamp was lit. The clock was on the stroke of twelve.
灯点亮了。时钟距离十二点的钟声还有一刻钟。

“Hasten to take off your wet things,” said he; —
“快把湿衣服脱掉,”他说道; —

“and before you go, good-night—good-night, my darling!”
“在你走之前,晚安,亲爱的!”

He kissed me repeatedly. When I looked up, on leaving his arms, there stood the widow, pale, grave, and amazed. —
他一直亲吻着我。当我从他的怀里抬起头的时候,那位寡妇站在那里,脸色苍白,严肃而惊讶。 —

I only smiled at her, and ran upstairs. “Explanation will do for another time,” thought I. Still, when I reached my chamber, I felt a pang at the idea she should even temporarily misconstrue what she had seen. —
我只是微笑着,跑上楼去。“解释可以留到以后再说,”我想。然而,当我到达自己的房间时,我对她甚至暂时错误解读所看到的情景感到一阵痛楚。 —

But joy soon effaced every other feeling; —
但喜悦很快抹去了其他的感受; —

and loud as the wind blew, near and deep as the thunder crashed, fierce and frequent as the lightning gleamed, cataract-like as the rain fell during a storm of two hours’ duration, I experienced no fear and little awe. —
无论风多么狂,雷声多么响亮,闪电多么频繁,雨如瀑布般倾泻,持续了两个小时的风暴中,我并不害怕,只有少许敬畏之情。 —

Mr. Rochester came thrice to my door in the course of it, to ask if I was safe and tranquil: —
罗切斯特先生在整个过程中来了三次敲我的门,询问我是否安全平静: —

and that was comfort, that was strength for anything.
而这给我带来了安慰,这给我任何事情都带来了力量。

Before I left my bed in the morning, little Adèle came running in to tell me that the great horse-chestnut at the bottom of the orchard had been struck by lightning in the night, and half of it split away.
早晨在我离开床之前,小阿黛勒跑过来告诉我说果园底部的那棵巨大的马栗树在夜间被雷击中,一半树干断裂了。