I had forgotten to draw my curtain, which I usually did, and also to let down my window-blind. —
我忘了拉上平常我都会拉上的窗帘,也没有放下百叶窗。 —

The consequence was, that when the moon, which was full and bright (for the night was fine), came in her course to that space in the sky opposite my casement, and looked in at me through the unveiled panes, her glorious gaze roused me. —
结果是,当满月(因为当晚的天气很好)在天空的那块地方,对准了我的窗户,通过没有遮挡的玻璃窗注视着我时,她辉煌的目光唤醒了我。 —

Awaking in the dead of night, I opened my eyes on her disk—silver-white and crystal clear. —
在深夜醒来时,我睁开眼睛,看到了她的盘面,银白而晶清。 —

It was beautiful, but too solemn: I half rose, and stretched my arm to draw the curtain.
美丽,但也太庄严了:我半身起来,伸出手臂要拉上窗帘。

Good God! What a cry!
天啊!多么惊叫!

The night—its silence—its rest, was rent in twain by a savage, a sharp, a shrilly sound that ran from end to end of Thornfield Hall.
夜晚,它的寂静,它的安宁,被撕裂开来,被一声野性的、尖锐的、刺耳的声音贯穿了一整个索恩菲尔德大厅。

My pulse stopped: my heart stood still; my stretched arm was paralysed. —
我的脉搏停止了:我的心也停止了跳动;我伸出的手臂麻痹了。 —

The cry died, and was not renewed. Indeed, whatever being uttered that fearful shriek could not soon repeat it: —
尖叫声消失了,没有再次响起。实际上,无论是什么发出了那可怕的尖叫,都无法很快重复。 —

not the widest-winged condor on the Andes could, twice in succession, send out such a yell from the cloud shrouding his eyrie. —
安第斯山脉上没有一只翼展最宽的秃鹰可以连续两次从笼罩着巢穴的云中发出如此尖叫声。 —

The thing delivering such utterance must rest ere it could repeat the effort.
发出这种声音的东西在能再次努力之前必须休息。

It came out of the third storey; for it passed overhead. —
它从第三层出来,因为它在上方经过了头顶。 —

And overhead—yes, in the room just above my chamber-ceiling—I now heard a struggle: —
并且在头顶上,是的,就在我房间天花板的上面,我现在听到了一阵斗争的声音: —

a deadly one it seemed from the noise; and a half-smothered voice shouted—
从噪音来看,它似乎是一场致命的争斗;而一个被半遮掩的声音喊着——

“Help! help! help!” three times rapidly.
“救命!救命!救命!”三次迅速呼喊。

“Will no one come?” it cried; and then, while the staggering and stamping went on wildly, I distinguished through plank and plaster:—
“没有人来吗?”它大喊着,然后,当踉跄和跺脚声疯狂地继续时,我透过木板和石膏听到了:

“Rochester! Rochester! for God’s sake, come!”
“罗切斯特!罗切斯特!求求你了,来吧!”

A chamber-door opened: some one ran, or rushed, along the gallery. —
一扇房门打开了:有人从走廊上跑过,或者冲过去。 —

Another step stamped on the flooring above and something fell; —
下面的楼层上又踏下了一步,还有东西掉下来; —

and there was silence.
然后就是静寂。

I had put on some clothes, though horror shook all my limbs; I issued from my apartment. —
虽然恐怖使我的四肢颤抖,但我已经穿了一些衣服,我走出了房间。 —

The sleepers were all aroused: ejaculations, terrified murmurs sounded in every room; —
所有的睡者都被惊醒了:每个房间里都传来了沉默恐惧的呢喃声; —

door after door unclosed; one looked out and another looked out; the gallery filled. —
一扇扇门打开了;一个又一个人走了出来;走廊里涌满了人。 —

Gentlemen and ladies alike had quitted their beds; and “Oh! what is it?”—“Who is hurt? —
男士和女士们都离开了床;”哦!发生了什么?”—— “谁受伤了? —

”—“What has happened?”—“Fetch a light!”—“Is it fire?”—“Are there robbers? —
“—— “出了什么事?”—— “快点拿个灯光过来!”—— “是火灾吗?”—— “是强盗吗? —

”—“Where shall we run?” was demanded confusedly on all hands. —
“—— “我们该往哪里跑?”,这样的困惑之声远近纷杂。 —

But for the moonlight they would have been in complete darkness. They ran to and fro; —
如果没有月光,他们将处于完全的黑暗中。他们来回奔跑; —

they crowded together: some sobbed, some stumbled: —
他们挤在一起:有些人抽泣,有些人绊倒; —

the confusion was inextricable.
混乱无法解开。

“Where the devil is Rochester?” cried Colonel Dent. “I cannot find him in his bed.”
“这该死的罗切斯特在哪里?”科尔内尔·登特大声问道,“我在他的床上找不到他。”

“Here! here!” was shouted in return. “Be composed, all of you: I’m coming.”
“在这里!在这里!”回答着喊道,“大家冷静,我就来了。”

And the door at the end of the gallery opened, and Mr. Rochester advanced with a candle: —
并且走廊尽头的门打开了,罗切斯特先生拿着一支蜡烛走过来; —

he had just descended from the upper storey. —
他刚从楼上下来。 —

One of the ladies ran to him directly; she seized his arm: —
一个女士径直向他跑去,她抓住了他的胳膊: —

it was Miss Ingram.
那是英格拉姆小姐。

“What awful event has taken place?” said she. “Speak! let us know the worst at once!”
“发生了什么可怕的事件?”她说。“说!让我们立刻知道最糟糕的!”

“But don’t pull me down or strangle me,” he replied: —
“但是不要把我拉下来或勒死我,”他回答道: —

for the Misses Eshton were clinging about him now; —
因为艾什顿小姐们现在正紧紧抓着他; —

and the two dowagers, in vast white wrappers, were bearing down on him like ships in full sail.
而两位老绅士,穿着宽大的白色包装,正在向他逼近,像满帆的船一样。

“All’s right!—all’s right!” he cried. —
“都没事了!都没事了!”他喊道。 —

“It’s a mere rehearsal of Much Ado about Nothing. —
“这只不过是《无事生非》的一次简单排练。 —

Ladies, keep off, or I shall wax dangerous.”
女士们,远离一点,否则我会变得危险。”

And dangerous he looked: his black eyes darted sparks. Calming himself by an effort, he added—
他看上去很危险:他的黑眼睛闪烁着火花。他努力平静自己,接着说道-

“A servant has had the nightmare; that is all. She’s an excitable, nervous person: —
“一个女佣做了噩梦,仅此而已。她是个容易激动、神经过敏的人: —

she construed her dream into an apparition, or something of that sort, no doubt; —
毫无疑问,她将她的梦解释成了一个幽灵之类的东西; —

and has taken a fit with fright. Now, then, I must see you all back into your rooms; —
并因此吓得发狂。现在,我必须把你们都送回房间; —

for, till the house is settled, she cannot be looked after. —
因为在房子还没安定下来之前,她是无法照顾的。 —

Gentlemen, have the goodness to set the ladies the example. —
先生们,请给女士们树立一个好榜样。 —

Miss Ingram, I am sure you will not fail in evincing superiority to idle terrors. —
英格拉姆小姐,我相信你不会对这些虚无的恐惧担心。 —

Amy and Louisa, return to your nests like a pair of doves, as you are. —
艾米和路易莎,就像一对鸽子一样回到你们的巢里。 —

Mesdames” (to the dowagers), “you will take cold to a dead certainty, if you stay in this chill gallery any longer.”
女士们”(对于那些老妇人们),“如果你们在这个寒冷的走廊上再呆下去,你们肯定会感冒。”

And so, by dint of alternate coaxing and commanding, he contrived to get them all once more enclosed in their separate dormitories. —
因此,凭借交替的哄骗和命令,他设法让他们再次被关在各自的寝室里。 —

I did not wait to be ordered back to mine, but retreated unnoticed, as unnoticed I had left it.
我没有等待被命令回到自己的寝室,而是悄悄地退去,就像我离开时一样不被注意到。

Not, however, to go to bed: on the contrary, I began and dressed myself carefully. —
然而,我并不是去睡觉,相反,我开始仔细地穿衣打扮自己。 —

The sounds I had heard after the scream, and the words that had been uttered, had probably been heard only by me; —
我所听到的尖叫声后面的声音,以及所说的话,可能只有我听到; —

for they had proceeded from the room above mine: —
因为它们是从比我楼上的房间传出的。 —

but they assured me that it was not a servant’s dream which had thus struck horror through the house; —
但他们向我保证,这不是一个令人恐惧的仆人的梦想,而是罗切斯特先生编造的一个解释,以安抚他的客人。 —

and that the explanation Mr. Rochester had given was merely an invention framed to pacify his guests. —
我穿好衣服,准备应对紧急情况。 —

I dressed, then, to be ready for emergencies. —
穿好衣服后,我坐在窗边很长时间,望着寂静的庭院和银白色的田野,等待着我不知道的事情。 —

When dressed, I sat a long time by the window looking out over the silent grounds and silvered fields and waiting for I knew not what. —
对我来说,似乎一定会有一些事件发生,紧接着那个奇怪的叫声、斗争和呼喊。 —

It seemed to me that some event must follow the strange cry, struggle, and call.
等待着我。

No: stillness returned: each murmur and movement ceased gradually, and in about an hour Thornfield Hall was again as hushed as a desert. —
否:宁静重新降临:每一丝喧嚣和动静都逐渐停止,大约一个小时后,索恩菲尔德大厅再次沉寂如同沙漠。 —

It seemed that sleep and night had resumed their empire. Meantime the moon declined: —
似乎睡眠和黑夜已经恢复他们的统治。与此同时,月亮下降了:她即将落下。不想在寒冷和黑暗中坐下,我想躺在我穿着的床上。 —

she was about to set. Not liking to sit in the cold and darkness, I thought I would lie down on my bed, dressed as I was. —
我离开了窗户,悄无声息地走过地毯;当我弯下腰脱鞋时,有个谨慎的手轻轻地敲门。 —

I left the window, and moved with little noise across the carpet; —
我问道:“有人找我吗?” —

as I stooped to take off my shoes, a cautious hand tapped low at the door.
“你起床了吗?”我期待的声音问道,即我的主人。

“Am I wanted?” I asked.
是的。

“Are you up?” asked the voice I expected to hear, viz., my master’s.
“你好。”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“And dressed?”
“穿着整齐了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Come out, then, quietly.”
“那么,悄悄地出来。”

I obeyed. Mr. Rochester stood in the gallery holding a light.
我听从了。罗切斯特先生站在长廊上拿着一盏灯。

“I want you,” he said: “come this way: take your time, and make no noise.”
“我需要你,”他说,“跟我来:慢慢走,不要发出任何声音。”

My slippers were thin: I could walk the matted floor as softly as a cat. —
我的拖鞋很薄,我可以像猫一样轻轻地走在铺着地毯的地板上。 —

He glided up the gallery and up the stairs, and stopped in the dark, low corridor of the fateful third storey: —
他在长廊上滑行,然后上了楼梯,在命运的第三层停了下来,那里黑暗而低矮: —

I had followed and stood at his side.
我跟着他站在他的身边。

“Have you a sponge in your room?” he asked in a whisper.
“你房间里有海绵吗?”他小声问道。

“Yes, sir.”
“有,先生。”

“Have you any salts—volatile salts?”
“你有什么盐——挥发性盐吗?”

“Yes.”
“有,先生。”

“Go back and fetch both.”
“回去拿两样东西。”

I returned, sought the sponge on the washstand, the salts in my drawer, and once more retraced my steps. —
我回去了,在洗手台上找到了海绵,抽屉里找到了盐,再次走回来。 —

He still waited; he held a key in his hand: —
他依然等待着;他手中拿着一把钥匙。 —

approaching one of the small, black doors, he put it in the lock; —
他走近其中一个小黑门,将钥匙插入锁孔。 —

he paused, and addressed me again.
他停顿了一下,又对我说道。

“You don’t turn sick at the sight of blood?”
“看到血你不会晕吧?”

“I think I shall not: I have never been tried yet.”
“我想我不会:我还从未经历过。”

I felt a thrill while I answered him; but no coldness, and no faintness.
我回答他的同时感到一阵激动,但没有寒冷和昏厥的感觉。

“Just give me your hand,” he said: “it will not do to risk a fainting fit.”
“把手给我,”他说,“不能冒险昏过去。”

I put my fingers into his. “Warm and steady,” was his remark: he turned the key and opened the door.
我把手指伸到他的手里。“温暖而稳定,”他评价道:“转动钥匙,打开门。”

I saw a room I remembered to have seen before, the day Mrs. Fairfax showed me over the house: —
我看到了一个我曾经见过的房间,那天费尔法克斯夫人领我参观这房子时看到过: —

it was hung with tapestry; but the tapestry was now looped up in one part, and there was a door apparent, which had then been concealed. —
房间里挂着挂毯;但现在挂毯被卷起来,露出了一个当时隐藏着的门。 —

This door was open; a light shone out of the room within: —
这扇门敞开着;从房间里透出一道光亮: —

I heard thence a snarling, snatching sound, almost like a dog quarrelling. —
我从里面听到了一阵咆哮般的声音,几乎像是一只狗在争吵。 —

Mr. Rochester, putting down his candle, said to me, “Wait a minute,” and he went forward to the inner apartment. —
罗切斯特放下蜡烛,对我说:“等一下”,然后他走到内室。 —

A shout of laughter greeted his entrance; —
他进入时欢声笑语,一开始很吵闹,最后变成了格雷斯·普尔自己的鬼笑声。她也在那里。 —

noisy at first, and terminating in Grace Poole’s own goblin ha! ha! She then was there. —
他没有说话,但我听到有人低声对他说话,他做了某种安排。 —

He made some sort of arrangement without speaking, though I heard a low voice address him: —
他走出来,关上了门。 —

he came out and closed the door behind him.
“在这边,简!”他说,然后我绕到床的另一边,床被拉起的窗帘掩盖了一大部分房间。

“Here, Jane!” he said; and I walked round to the other side of a large bed, which with its drawn curtains concealed a considerable portion of the chamber. —
床头附近有一把躺椅,一个男人坐在里面,除了没有穿外套以外,他穿着整齐。 —

An easy-chair was near the bed-head: a man sat in it, dressed with the exception of his coat; —
他一动不动,头后仰,闭着眼睛。罗切斯特把蜡烛放在他身上。 —

he was still; his head leant back; his eyes were closed. Mr. Rochester held the candle over him; —
我在他苍白且似乎无生命的脸上认出了陌生人梅森。 —

I recognised in his pale and seemingly lifeless face—the stranger, Mason: —
我还看到他的衬衣一侧和一只手臂几乎都浸满了血。 —

I saw too that his linen on one side, and one arm, was almost soaked in blood.
“拿着蜡烛,”罗切斯特说,我接过了蜡烛。

“Hold the candle,” said Mr. Rochester, and I took it: —
我将蜡烛拿在手里。 —

he fetched a basin of water from the washstand: “Hold that,” said he. I obeyed. —
他从洗手台上取来了一个洗脸盆:“拿着这个”,他说。我听从了。 —

He took the sponge, dipped it in, and moistened the corpse-like face; —
他拿起海绵,蘸水后擦湿了那张尸似的脸; —

he asked for my smelling-bottle, and applied it to the nostrils. —
他要了我的气味瓶,然后把它放在鼻子上; —

Mr. Mason shortly unclosed his eyes; he groaned. —
梅森先生稍稍睁开了眼睛,他呻吟了一声; —

Mr. Rochester opened the shirt of the wounded man, whose arm and shoulder were bandaged: —
罗切斯特先生打开了那个受伤男人的衬衫,他的胳膊和肩膀已经包扎好了; —

he sponged away blood, trickling fast down.
他擦掉了流淌下来的血;

“Is there immediate danger?” murmured Mr. Mason.
“有即时的危险吗?”梅森先生喃喃道;

“Pooh! No—a mere scratch. Don’t be so overcome, man: bear up! —
“呸!没有,仅仅是一道划痕。不要这么惊慌,挺住! —

I’ll fetch a surgeon for you now, myself: —
我现在去给你找个外科医生,明天早上我希望你能被送走; —

you’ll be able to be removed by morning, I hope. —
简,”他接着说道; —

Jane,” he continued.
“先生?”

“Sir?”
“我得把你留在这个房间,陪着这位先生,一个小时或者可能两小时;

“I shall have to leave you in this room with this gentleman, for an hour, or perhaps two hours: —
血液返回时,你像我一样帮他擦掉; —

you will sponge the blood as I do when it returns: —
如果他感到头晕,你就把水杯放在那个桌子上让他喝点,把盐放在他鼻子下; —

if he feels faint, you will put the glass of water on that stand to his lips, and your salts to his nose. —
你不能找任何借口与他说话,也不要与她说话,理查德,否则你会冒命危险; —

You will not speak to him on any pretext—and—Richard, it will be at the peril of your life if you speak to her: —
请记住,这些都是为了他们的利益,你理解吗?” —

open your lips—agitate yourself—and I’ll not answer for the consequences.”
挤开你的嘴唇——激动起来——我对后果不负责。

Again the poor man groaned; he looked as if he dared not move; —
可怜的人再次呻吟着,他看起来好像不敢动。 —

fear, either of death or of something else, appeared almost to paralyse him. —
恐惧,无论是死亡还是其他什么东西,似乎几乎让他瘫痪了。 —

Mr. Rochester put the now bloody sponge into my hand, and I proceeded to use it as he had done. —
罗切斯特先生把现在血淋淋的海绵放在我手中,然后我按照他的方式使用它。 —

He watched me a second, then saying, “Remember!—No conversation,” he left the room. —
他看着我一会儿,然后说:“记住!没有交谈。”他离开了房间。 —

I experienced a strange feeling as the key grated in the lock, and the sound of his retreating step ceased to be heard.
当钥匙在锁孔中摩擦时,我产生了一种奇怪的感觉,他远去的脚步声已经听不到了。

Here then I was in the third storey, fastened into one of its mystic cells; night around me; —
在这里,我被锁在第三层的一个神秘的房间里;周围是黑夜; —

a pale and bloody spectacle under my eyes and hands; —
在我眼前和手中是苍白且血腥的景象; —

a murderess hardly separated from me by a single door: —
一个凶手只隔着一道门就离我很近: —

yes—that was appalling—the rest I could bear; —
是的,那太可怕了,其他的我可以忍受; —

but I shuddered at the thought of Grace Poole bursting out upon me.
但是一想到格雷斯·普尔会突然冲出来找我,我就颤抖了。

I must keep to my post, however. I must watch this ghastly countenance—these blue, still lips forbidden to unclose—these eyes now shut, now opening, now wandering through the room, now fixing on me, and ever glazed with the dulness of horror. —
然而,我必须忍受在这个岗位上。我必须盯着这张可怕的面容,这双紧闭的青唇,这双时而闭合、时而张开、时而在房间里游离、时而盯着我、总是满是恐怖的眼睛。 —

I must dip my hand again and again in the basin of blood and water, and wipe away the trickling gore. —
我必须一次又一次地将手蘸入血水中,并擦拭掉流淌的血迹。 —

I must see the light of the unsnuffed candle wane on my employment; —
我必须看着未被熄灭的蜡烛的光芒在我的工作上逐渐衰弱; —

the shadows darken on the wrought, antique tapestry round me, and grow black under the hangings of the vast old bed, and quiver strangely over the doors of a great cabinet opposite—whose front, divided into twelve panels, bore, in grim design, the heads of the twelve apostles, each enclosed in its separate panel as in a frame; —
暗影在我周围织造的古老挂毯上渐渐加深,在巨大的古床帷幔下变得漆黑,并在对面的一个大柜子的门上奇异地颤动着——柜子的正面分为十二个方格,以可怕的设计展示着十二个使徒的头像,每一个都像在一个画框中一样被封闭着; —

while above them at the top rose an ebon crucifix and a dying Christ.
而在它们上方,顶端是一座乌木十字架和一个垂死的基督。

According as the shifting obscurity and flickering gleam hovered here or glanced there, it was now the bearded physician, Luke, that bent his brow; —
随着变幻莫测的昏暗和闪烁的微光在这里盘旋或那里一闪而过,眉头紧锁的医生,卢克,此时是俯身的身影。 —

now St. John’s long hair that waved; and anon the devilish face of Judas, that grew out of the panel, and seemed gathering life and threatening a revelation of the arch-traitor—of Satan himself—in his subordinate’s form.
此刻,圣约翰那一头飘逸的长发,似乎在涌动,并在面板之上,冒出了犹大的可怕面孔,仿佛要展示出叛徒之王——撒旦本人——在他的下属身上。

Amidst all this, I had to listen as well as watch: —
尽管如此,我不仅要观察,还要倾听: —

to listen for the movements of the wild beast or the fiend in yonder side den. —
倾听那野兽或恶魔在隔壁的巢穴里的动静。 —

But since Mr. Rochester’s visit it seemed spellbound: —
但自从罗切斯特先生的到访以后,一切似乎都被咒语束缚住了: —

all the night I heard but three sounds at three long intervals,—a step creak, a momentary renewal of the snarling, canine noise, and a deep human groan.
整夜间我只听到三个声音,依次间隔很长:一阵脚步声,一个短暂的猛兽低吼声的重现,以及一声深沉的人类呻吟。

Then my own thoughts worried me. What crime was this, that lived incarnate in this sequestered mansion, and could neither be expelled nor subdued by the owner? —
然后是我自己的思绪困扰了我。这是何等罪行,竟在这个隐蔽的庄园里实体化存在,既不能被驱逐也不能被主人制服? —

—what mystery, that broke out now in fire and now in blood, at the deadest hours of night? —
是何等谜团,竟在深夜最静寂的时辰,以烈火和鲜血形式爆发出来? —

What creature was it, that, masked in an ordinary woman’s face and shape, uttered the voice, now of a mocking demon, and anon of a carrion-seeking bird of prey?
是什么生物,戴着一个普通女性的面容和身躯,一会儿发出嘲弄的恶魔之声,一会儿又发出寻找腐肉的猛禽之鸣?

And this man I bent over—this commonplace, quiet stranger—how had he become involved in the web of horror? —
这个我佝偻着的男人——这个平凡、安静的陌生人——他是如何卷入这场恐怖的网络的呢? —

and why had the Fury flown at him? What made him seek this quarter of the house at an untimely season, when he should have been asleep in bed? —
他为什么会惹怒狂怒女神?他为什么要在不合时宜的时候来到这座房子的这一侧,而不是在床上睡觉呢? —

I had heard Mr. Rochester assign him an apartment below—what brought him here! —
我听到罗切斯特先生给他分配了一间楼下的房间——是什么让他来到这里? —

And why, now, was he so tame under the violence or treachery done him? —
现在为什么他在受到暴力或背叛时如此温顺呢? —

Why did he so quietly submit to the concealment Mr. Rochester enforced? —
为什么他如此安静地接受了罗切斯特先生强制的隐瞒呢? —

Why did Mr. Rochester enforce this concealment? —
罗切斯特先生为什么要强制隐瞒? —

His guest had been outraged, his own life on a former occasion had been hideously plotted against; —
他的客人曾受侮辱,而他自己在以前的某个场合也曾被陷害过; —

and both attempts he smothered in secrecy and sank in oblivion! —
他都将这两次企图都压制在了秘密中,并沉入了遗忘! —

Lastly, I saw Mr. Mason was submissive to Mr. Rochester; —
最后,我看到梅森先生对罗切斯特先生屈服; —

that the impetuous will of the latter held complete sway over the inertness of the former: —
后者的冲动意志完全控制着前者的惰性: —

the few words which had passed between them assured me of this. —
他们之间交流的几句话使我确信了这一点。 —

It was evident that in their former intercourse, the passive disposition of the one had been habitually influenced by the active energy of the other: —
很明显,在他们以前的交往中,一方的被动性格受到了另一方积极能量的影响。 —

whence then had arisen Mr. Rochester’s dismay when he heard of Mr. Mason’s arrival? —
那么,当罗切斯特先生听说梅森先生的到来时,为什么他会感到惊慌? —

Why had the mere name of this unresisting individual—whom his word now sufficed to control like a child—fallen on him, a few hours since, as a thunderbolt might fall on an oak?
为什么这个无抵抗的个体的名字,凭借他的话语,如同雷霆一样,几个小时前击中他,就像雷霆击中橡树一样?

Oh! I could not forget his look and his paleness when he whispered: —
哦!我无法忘记他低声说出的时候的表情和苍白: —

“Jane, I have got a blow—I have got a blow, Jane.” I could not forget how the arm had trembled which he rested on my shoulder: —
“简,我受了一次打击-我受了一次打击,简。”我无法忘记他搁在我肩膀上的胳膊颤抖的样子: —

and it was no light matter which could thus bow the resolute spirit and thrill the vigorous frame of Fairfax Rochester.
这必定是一件不轻松的事情,才能弯下这个坚定的精神,震颤着费尔法克斯·罗切斯特的健壮身躯。

“When will he come? When will he come?” I cried inwardly, as the night lingered and lingered—as my bleeding patient drooped, moaned, sickened: —
“他什么时候来?他什么时候来?”当夜晚拖延不去时,当我的受伤病人衰弱、呻吟、恶化时,我在内心中呼喊。 —

and neither day nor aid arrived. I had, again and again, held the water to Mason’s white lips; —
然而并没有一天亲自前来,也没有人给予帮助。我一次又一次地将水递到梅森苍白的嘴唇边; —

again and again offered him the stimulating salts: my efforts seemed ineffectual: —
我一次又一次地给他提供刺激性的盐:但我的努力似乎无效; —

either bodily or mental suffering, or loss of blood, or all three combined, were fast prostrating his strength. —
无论是身体上的痛苦还是精神上的痛苦,或是失血,或是这些都同时发生,他的体力迅速衰竭。 —

He moaned so, and looked so weak, wild, and lost, I feared he was dying; —
他呻吟着,看起来如此虚弱、狂乱和迷茫,我害怕他就要死了; —

and I might not even speak to him.
我甚至不能跟他说话。

The candle, wasted at last, went out; as it expired, I perceived streaks of grey light edging the window curtains: —
烛光最后熄灭了,就在它消失的时候,我察觉到窗帘边缘透出一丝灰色的光芒: —

dawn was then approaching. Presently I heard Pilot bark far below, out of his distant kennel in the courtyard: —
黎明即将来临。不久后,我听到皮罗特从下方饲养场的狗舍远处狂吠: —

hope revived. Nor was it unwarranted: in five minutes more the grating key, the yielding lock, warned me my watch was relieved. —
希望又复苏了。而且这并非没有根据:再过五分钟,锈迹斑斑的钥匙转动,门锁响动,提醒我轮到我值班了。 —

It could not have lasted more than two hours: —
这段时间绝对没有超过两个小时: —

many a week has seemed shorter.
有好几个星期都过得比这短。

Mr. Rochester entered, and with him the surgeon he had been to fetch.
罗切斯特先生走了进来,和他一起来的是他去请来的外科医生。

“Now, Carter, be on the alert,” he said to this last: —
“卡特,保持警惕,”他对最后一个人说。 —

“I give you but half-an-hour for dressing the wound, fastening the bandages, getting the patient downstairs and all.”
“给你半个小时来包扎伤口、扎好绷带、把病人搬下楼。”

“But is he fit to move, sir?”
“但是他能移动吗,先生?”

“No doubt of it; it is nothing serious; —
“毫无疑问,这没什么大不了的;他只是神经紧张,要保持他的精神状态。” —

he is nervous, his spirits must be kept up. —
“快开始吧。” —

Come, set to work.”
罗切斯特先生拉开了厚厚的窗帘,拉起了荷兰百叶窗,尽可能多地让阳光进来;

Mr. Rochester drew back the thick curtain, drew up the holland blind, let in all the daylight he could; —
“看到了吗,天已经亮了很多; —

and I was surprised and cheered to see how far dawn was advanced: —
东方开始泛起了粉红色的条纹。” —

what rosy streaks were beginning to brighten the east. —
然后他走向已经被外科医生处理的梅森。 —

Then he approached Mason, whom the surgeon was already handling.
“怎么样,朋友?”

“Now, my good fellow, how are you?” he asked.
“我怕她害了我,”梅森虚弱地回答道。

“She’s done for me, I fear,” was the faint reply.
“一点也不!勇敢一点!再过15天,你几乎一点事都没有;

“Not a whit!—courage! This day fortnight you’ll hardly be a pin the worse of it: —
你只是流了点血,没什么大不了的。 —

you’ve lost a little blood; that’s all. —
卡特,告诉他没有危险。” —

Carter, assure him there’s no danger.”
“我可以负责任地说是这样的,”卡特说着已经解开了绷带;

“I can do that conscientiously,” said Carter, who had now undone the bandages; —

“only I wish I could have got here sooner: he would not have bled so much—but how is this? —
“只要我能早点到这里就好了:他就不会失去那么多血了—但是怎么会这样呢? —

The flesh on the shoulder is torn as well as cut. —
肩膀上的肉被撕裂了,还被割伤了。 —

This wound was not done with a knife: there have been teeth here!”
这个伤口不是用刀造成的:这里有牙印!”

“She bit me,” he murmured. “She worried me like a tigress, when Rochester got the knife from her.”
“她咬了我,”他喃喃自语道。”她像一只虎一样咬住我,当罗切斯特夺走刀子的时候。”

“You should not have yielded: you should have grappled with her at once,” said Mr. Rochester.
“你不应该屈服:你应该立即与她搏斗,”罗切斯特先生说道。

“But under such circumstances, what could one do?” returned Mason. “Oh, it was frightful! —
“但在这种情况下,一个人能做什么呢?”梅森回答道。”哦,那真是可怕! —

” he added, shuddering. “And I did not expect it: —
“他颤抖着补充道,”我没有预料到这点:”一开始她看起来那么安静。 —

she looked so quiet at first.”
“我警告过你,”他朋友回答道,”我告诉过你——当你靠近她时要小心。

“I warned you,” was his friend’s answer; “I said—be on your guard when you go near her. —
“而且,你本可以等到明天,带上我一起去,”他继续说道,”今晚试图单独见面,纯粹是愚蠢的行为。 —

Besides, you might have waited till to-morrow, and had me with you: —
“我以为我能有所作为。” —

it was mere folly to attempt the interview to-night, and alone.”
“你想!你想!听你这样说真让我不耐烦,”他的朋友回答道。

“I thought I could have done some good.”
“我以为我能有所作为。”

“You thought! you thought! Yes, it makes me impatient to hear you: —
“你想!你想!听你这样说真让我不耐烦,”他的朋友回答道。 —

but, however, you have suffered, and are likely to suffer enough for not taking my advice; —
但是,无论如何,你已经受够了,而且很可能会因为不听我的建议而遭受更多的苦难; —

so I’ll say no more. Carter—hurry!—hurry! —
所以我不会再说了。卡特——快点!——快点! —

The sun will soon rise, and I must have him off.”
太阳很快就要升起了,我必须让他离开。

“Directly, sir; the shoulder is just bandaged. —
“马上,先生;肩膀刚刚包扎好了。 —

I must look to this other wound in the arm: —
我还需要检查一下手臂上的另一个伤口:我想那里也被她咬过牙了。” —

she has had her teeth here too, I think.”
“她吸了我的血:她说她要吸干我的心脏,”梅森说。

“She sucked the blood: she said she’d drain my heart,” said Mason.
我看到罗切斯特先生打了个寒颤:一种明显的厌恶、恐惧、仇恨的表情扭曲了他的面容,几乎变形;

I saw Mr. Rochester shudder: a singularly marked expression of disgust, horror, hatred, warped his countenance almost to distortion; —
但他只说—— —

but he only said—
“来,安静点,理查德,别理会她的胡话:不要重复。”

“Come, be silent, Richard, and never mind her gibberish: don’t repeat it.”
“我希望我能够忘记这一切。”是答案。

“I wish I could forget it,” was the answer.
“你离开这个国家后就会忘记的:当你回到西班牙镇,你可以把她当作已经死了,埋葬了——或者说,你根本不需要想她。”

“You will when you are out of the country: —
“不可能忘记今晚!” —

when you get back to Spanish Town, you may think of her as dead and buried—or rather, you need not think of her at all.”
“这并不是不可能的:要有些活力,伙计。

“Impossible to forget this night!”
“不可能忘记这个夜晚!”

“It is not impossible: have some energy, man. —
“这并不是不可能的:要有些活力,伙计。 —

You thought you were as dead as a herring two hours since, and you are all alive and talking now. —
你本以为在两小时前就死了,而现在你们都还活着说话。 —

There!—Carter has done with you or nearly so; I’ll make you decent in a trice. —
好了!卡特已经对你们做完了,或者说快做完了;我会立刻让你们看起来体面些。 —

Jane” (he turned to me for the first time since his re-entrance), “take this key: —
简(他自重新回来后第一次转向我),拿着这把钥匙: —

go down into my bedroom, and walk straight forward into my dressing-room: —
到我的卧室,直走进我的更衣室: —

open the top drawer of the wardrobe and take out a clean shirt and neck-handkerchief: —
打开衣橱的顶层抽屉,拿出一件干净的衬衫和领带手帕: —

bring them here; and be nimble.”
拿过来,动作快点。

I went; sought the repository he had mentioned, found the articles named, and returned with them.
我按照他说的去找了那个地方,找到了他提到的物品,并拿了过来。

“Now,” said he, “go to the other side of the bed while I order his toilet; —
“现在,”他说,“去床的另一边,我来安排他的梳洗; —

but don’t leave the room: you may be wanted again.”
但不要离开房间,可能还需要你。”

I retired as directed.
我按照指示退了出去。

“Was anybody stirring below when you went down, Jane?” inquired Mr. Rochester presently.
“简,你下去的时候有人在楼下吗?”罗切斯特先生随即问道。

“No, sir; all was very still.”
“没有,先生;一切都很安静。”

“We shall get you off cannily, Dick: and it will be better, both for your sake, and for that of the poor creature in yonder. —
“我们要巧妙地把你救出去,迪克:这对你和那边那个可怜的人都会更好。” —

I have striven long to avoid exposure, and I should not like it to come at last. —
我努力避免曝光已经很长时间了,最后我不希望曝光出来。 —

Here, Carter, help him on with his waist-coat. Where did you leave your furred cloak? —
卡特,帮他穿上他的马甲。你把你的毛皮斗篷放在哪里了? —

You can’t travel a mile without that, I know, in this damned cold climate. In your room? —
我知道,在这该死的寒冷气候里,没有那个斗篷你走不了一英里。在你的房间里? —

—Jane, run down to Mr. Mason’s room,—the one next mine,—and fetch a cloak you will see there.”
简,下去到梅森先生的房间,就在我旁边的那个房间,拿一件你会在那里看到的斗篷。

Again I ran, and again returned, bearing an immense mantle lined and edged with fur.
我再次跑去,再次回来,拿着一件带着皮草的巨大披风。

“Now, I’ve another errand for you,” said my untiring master; —
“现在我还有一项任务给你,”我不知疲倦的主人说道; —

“you must away to my room again. What a mercy you are shod with velvet, Jane! —
你必须再次回到我的房间。多亏你穿着天鹅绒,简! —

—a clod-hopping messenger would never do at this juncture. —
在这个关头,一个脚下扎扎实实的信使可不行。 —

You must open the middle drawer of my toilet-table and take out a little phial and a little glass you will find there,—quick!”
你必须打开我的梳妆台中间的抽屉,拿出你会在那里找到的一个小瓶子和一个小玻璃杯,快!

I flew thither and back, bringing the desired vessels.
我飞奔着去那里,然后带着需要的容器回来。

“That’s well! Now, doctor, I shall take the liberty of administering a dose myself, on my own responsibility. —
“很好!现在,医生,我将在自己的责任上给自己服用一剂药。 —

I got this cordial at Rome, of an Italian charlatan—a fellow you would have kicked, Carter. —
我在罗马买到了这种酒。 一个意大利江湖医生,卡特尔,你肯定会踢他的。 —

It is not a thing to be used indiscriminately, but it is good upon occasion: —
这不是一种可以随便使用的东西,但适当的时候很好: —

as now, for instance. Jane, a little water.”
比如现在。简,加一点水。

He held out the tiny glass, and I half filled it from the water-bottle on the washstand.
他递给我一个小杯子,我从洗手台上的水瓶中倒了一半。

“That will do;—now wet the lip of the phial.”
“就这样;现在把瓶口弄湿。

I did so; he measured twelve drops of a crimson liquid, and presented it to Mason.
我照做了。他滴下了十二滴深红色的液体,并递给梅森。

“Drink, Richard: it will give you the heart you lack, for an hour or so.”
“喝吧,理查德:它会给你心脏的,大约一个小时左右。”

“But will it hurt me?—is it inflammatory?”
“但是会有害吗?它会引发炎症吗?”

“Drink! drink! drink!”
“喝!喝!喝!”

Mr. Mason obeyed, because it was evidently useless to resist. He was dressed now: —
梅森听话,因为抗拒显然没有用。他现在已经穿好了衣服: —

he still looked pale, but he was no longer gory and sullied. —
他看起来还是苍白的,但不再血污了。 —

Mr. Rochester let him sit three minutes after he had swallowed the liquid; —
罗切斯特先生让他在喝下液体后坐了三分钟; —

he then took his arm—
然后他扶着他的胳膊—

“Now I am sure you can get on your feet,” he said—“try.”
“现在我确定你可以站起来了,”他说。”试试吧。”

The patient rose.
病人站了起来。

“Carter, take him under the other shoulder. Be of good cheer, Richard; step out—that’s it!”
“卡特,帮他抬起另一只肩膀。理查德,保持快乐的心情;向前走,就是这样!”

“I do feel better,” remarked Mr. Mason.
“我感觉好多了,”梅森先生说道。

“I am sure you do. Now, Jane, trip on before us away to the backstairs; —
“我相信你感觉好。现在,简,先走到楼梯前面去; —

unbolt the side-passage door, and tell the driver of the post-chaise you will see in the yard—or just outside, for I told him not to drive his rattling wheels over the pavement—to be ready; —
解开侧门,告诉马车夫准备好,他会在院子里等着的,或者就在外面,因为我告诉他不要把哗啦啦的车轮声压过人行道; —

we are coming: and, Jane, if any one is about, come to the foot of the stairs and hem.”
我们就要来了:简,如果有人在附近,到楼梯底下咳嗽几声。”

It was by this time half-past five, and the sun was on the point of rising; —
此时已经是五点半了,太阳即将升起; —

but I found the kitchen still dark and silent. The side-passage door was fastened; —
但我发现厨房还是黑暗而寂静的。侧门被上了锁; —

I opened it with as little noise as possible: all the yard was quiet; —
我尽量不发出声音地打开了它:整个院子都很安静; —

but the gates stood wide open, and there was a post-chaise, with horses ready harnessed, and driver seated on the box, stationed outside. —
但大门敞开着,有一辆已经准备好马鞍的马车,马车夫坐在车厢上,停在外面的位置。 —

I approached him, and said the gentlemen were coming; he nodded: —
我走近他,告诉他绅士们即将来了;他点了点头: —

then I looked carefully round and listened. The stillness of early morning slumbered everywhere; —
然后我仔细地四周看了看,倾听着。清晨的宁静处处沉睡着; —

the curtains were yet drawn over the servants’ chamber windows; —
仆人们的房窗帘尚未拉开; —

little birds were just twittering in the blossom-blanched orchard trees, whose boughs drooped like white garlands over the wall enclosing one side of the yard; —
小鸟们刚刚在盛开的果树林中吱吱地叫着,树枝垂下来像是墙围起来的院子一侧的白色花环; —

the carriage horses stamped from time to time in their closed stables: —
马车上的马不时地在封闭的马厩里踢踏着; —

all else was still.
除此以外一切都还是寂静无声的;

The gentlemen now appeared. Mason, supported by Mr. Rochester and the surgeon, seemed to walk with tolerable ease: —
绅士们现在出现了。梅森在罗切斯特先生和外科医生的搀扶下,似乎走得很轻松; —

they assisted him into the chaise; Carter followed.
他们将他扶进马车里;卡特尔跟着上车;

“Take care of him,” said Mr. Rochester to the latter, “and keep him at your house till he is quite well: —
“照顾好他,”罗切斯特先生对后者说,“让他住在你家里,直到他完全康复; —

I shall ride over in a day or two to see how he gets on. Richard, how is it with you?”
我过几天骑马过去看看他的情况。理查德,你觉得怎么样?”

“The fresh air revives me, Fairfax.”
“新鲜的空气使我恢复了,费尔法克斯。”

“Leave the window open on his side, Carter; there is no wind—good-bye, Dick.”
“卡特尔,让他那边的窗户开着,没有风——再见,迪克。”

“Fairfax—”
“费尔法克斯——”

“Well what is it?”
“什么事?”

“Let her be taken care of; let her be treated as tenderly as may be: —
“让她得到照顾,让她被尽可能温柔地对待:” —

let her—” he stopped and burst into tears.
他停了下来,泪如泉涌。

“I do my best; and have done it, and will do it,” was the answer: —
“我会尽力的,已经做过了,将来也会做到,”他回答道: —

he shut up the chaise door, and the vehicle drove away.
他关上马车门,车子开走了。

“Yet would to God there was an end of all this! —
“但愿上苍能结束这一切!” —

” added Mr. Rochester, as he closed and barred the heavy yard-gates.
“请上帝,把这一切都结束吧!”罗切斯特先生说着,他关上了重重的院门。

This done, he moved with slow step and abstracted air towards a door in the wall bordering the orchard. —
完成这一切后,他以缓步和心不在焉的神情走向了墙上的一扇门,那是接壤着果园的墙。 —

I, supposing he had done with me, prepared to return to the house; —
我以为他对我已经毕事了,准备返回房子。 —

again, however, I heard him call “Jane! —
然而,我又听见他叫道:“简!” —

” He had opened the portal and stood at it, waiting for me.
他已经打开门,并站在那里,等待着我。

“Come where there is some freshness, for a few moments,” he said; —
“来到有些新鲜空气的地方待一会儿吧,”他说道; —

“that house is a mere dungeon: don’t you feel it so?”
“那座房子简直是个牢狱,你不觉得吗?”

“It seems to me a splendid mansion, sir.”
“在我看来,那是一座华丽的大厦,先生。”

“The glamour of inexperience is over your eyes,” he answered; —
“无知的幻觉遮蔽了你的双眼,”他回答道; —

“and you see it through a charmed medium: —
“你是透过一种迷幻的媒介来看待它的: —

you cannot discern that the gilding is slime and the silk draperies cobwebs; —
你无法辨别这镀金是粘液,而丝绸帷幕则是蜘蛛网; —

that the marble is sordid slate, and the polished woods mere refuse chips and scaly bark. —
大理石是肮脏的石板,而抛光木材只是废弃的碎片和鳞片状的树皮。 —

Now here” (he pointed to the leafy enclosure we had entered) “all is real, sweet, and pure.”
现在”(他指着我们所进入的叶蔓围合处)”一切都是真实、甜美和纯净的。

He strayed down a walk edged with box, with apple trees, pear trees, and cherry trees on one side, and a border on the other full of all sorts of old-fashioned flowers, stocks, sweet-williams, primroses, pansies, mingled with southernwood, sweet-briar, and various fragrant herbs. —
他沿着一条两旁有黄杨树、苹果树、梨树和樱桃树的小径闲逛,而另一侧的花境则满是各种老式花卉,石竹、麝香草、剑兰,与石楠、南方艾草等各种芬芳的草本植物交错成景。 —

They were fresh now as a succession of April showers and gleams, followed by a lovely spring morning, could make them: —
它们此刻如四月的阵阵春雨和阳光交替后的美丽春天的清晨一样清新; —

the sun was just entering the dappled east, and his light illumined the wreathed and dewy orchard trees and shone down the quiet walks under them.
太阳正好进入斑斓的东方,它的光照亮了密布露水的果园树木,照耀在宁静的林荫小道。

“Jane, will you have a flower?”
“简,你要一朵花吗?”

He gathered a half-blown rose, the first on the bush, and offered it to me.
他采摘了一朵半开的玫瑰,这是灌木上的第一朵花,并递给了我。

“Thank you, sir.”
“谢谢,先生。”

“Do you like this sunrise, Jane? That sky with its high and light clouds which are sure to melt away as the day waxes warm—this placid and balmly atmosphere?”
“你喜欢这个日出,简吗?那高高的云彩和轻盈的云朵,一定会随着白天变暖而消散—这样宁静而温暖的气氛。”

“I do, very much.”
“非常喜欢。”

“You have passed a strange night, Jane.”
“你度过了一个奇怪的夜晚,简。”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“And it has made you look pale—were you afraid when I left you alone with Mason?”
“你和梅森独处时害怕吗?”

“I was afraid of some one coming out of the inner room.”
“我害怕有人从内屋走出来。”

“But I had fastened the door—I had the key in my pocket: —
“但我已经锁上了门—我把钥匙放在口袋里了: —

I should have been a careless shepherd if I had left a lamb—my pet lamb—so near a wolf’s den, unguarded: you were safe.”
取消预览

“Will Grace Poole live here still, sir?”
如果我把一只小羊羔—我的宠物羊羔—离狼穴这么近而不保护好的话,那我就是一个粗心的牧羊人:你是安全的。”

“Oh yes! don’t trouble your head about her—put the thing out of your thoughts.”
“Grace Poole还会继续住在这里,先生吗?”

“Yet it seems to me your life is hardly secure while she stays.”
“噢,是的!别为她烦心—把这件事情从你的脑海中排除。”

“Never fear—I will take care of myself.”
“然而在她留下的时候,我觉得你的生命并不安全。”

“Is the danger you apprehended last night gone by now, sir?”
“不用担心—我会照顾好自己。”

“I cannot vouch for that till Mason is out of England: nor even then. —
“昨晚你担心的危险现在已经过去了吗,先生?” —

To live, for me, Jane, is to stand on a crater-crust which may crack and spue fire any day.”
对我来说,活着就像站在一个火山口的壳上,随时可能爆裂喷火。

“But Mr. Mason seems a man easily led. Your influence, sir, is evidently potent with him: —
“但梅森先生似乎是个容易被人操控的人。先生,你对他的影响显然是很强大的:” —

he will never set you at defiance or wilfully injure you.”
他绝对不会违抗你或故意伤害你。”

“Oh, no! Mason will not defy me; nor, knowing it, will he hurt me—but, unintentionally, he might in a moment, by one careless word, deprive me, if not of life, yet for ever of happiness.”
“哦,不!梅森不会违抗我;虽然他知道不会伤害我,但一不小心地说一句话,可能会让我失去幸福,如果不是生命。”

“Tell him to be cautious, sir: let him know what you fear, and show him how to avert the danger.”
“告诉他小心,先生:让他知道你的担忧,并告诉他如何避免危险。”

He laughed sardonically, hastily took my hand, and as hastily threw it from him.
他嘲笑地笑了起来,急忙握住我的手,然后匆匆地松开。

“If I could do that, simpleton, where would the danger be? Annihilated in a moment. —
“傻瓜,如果我能做到那样,危险还会存在吗?一瞬间就会消失。” —

Ever since I have known Mason, I have only had to say to him ‘Do that,’ and the thing has been done. —
自从我认识梅森以来,我只需要对他说‘做那件事’,事情就会完成。 —

But I cannot give him orders in this case: I cannot say ‘Beware of harming me, Richard; —
但在这种情况下,我无法给他指令:我不能说‘小心伤害我,理查德; —

’ for it is imperative that I should keep him ignorant that harm to me is possible. —
因为保持他对我可能造成的伤害一无所知是至关重要的。 —

Now you look puzzled; and I will puzzle you further. —
现在你看起来迷惑了,我会进一步把你搞糊涂。 —

You are my little friend, are you not?”
你是我的小朋友,对吧?

“I like to serve you, sir, and to obey you in all that is right.”
“我喜欢为您服务,先生,遵守您正确的一切。”

“Precisely: I see you do. I see genuine contentment in your gait and mien, your eye and face, when you are helping me and pleasing me—working for me, and with me, in, as you characteristically say, ‘all that is right: —
“确切地说,我看到你确实这样做。当你帮助我和让我高兴时,我看到你步态和神态中真正的满足感——当你为我工作,与我合作,在你所说的‘一切对的事情’中: —

’ for if I bid you do what you thought wrong, there would be no light-footed running, no neat-handed alacrity, no lively glance and animated complexion. —
因为如果我命令你做你认为错误的事情,就不会有轻盈的奔跑,灵巧的机敏,明亮的目光和活泼的面色。 —

My friend would then turn to me, quiet and pale, and would say, ‘No, sir; that is impossible: —
我的朋友那时会转向我,安静而苍白,会说’不,先生,那不可能:我不能这样做,因为那是错的;’而会变得像固定的星星一样不可改变。 —

I cannot do it, because it is wrong;’ and would become immutable as a fixed star. —
嗯,你也对我有权力,可能会伤害我: —

Well, you too have power over me, and may injure me: —
但是我知道你不会这样做,因为在你善良的心中,没有伤害他人的地方。 —

yet I dare not show you where I am vulnerable, lest, faithful and friendly as you are, you should transfix me at once.”
然而,我不敢告诉你我的弱点,因为你虽然忠诚友好,却可能会立刻致我于死地。

“If you have no more to fear from Mr. Mason than you have from me, sir, you are very safe.”
“如果您对梅森先生没有比对我更多的担忧,先生,那么您是非常安全的。”

“God grant it may be so! Here, Jane, is an arbour; sit down.”
“愿上帝如此!简,这里有个凉亭,坐下吧。”

The arbour was an arch in the wall, lined with ivy; it contained a rustic seat. —
凉亭是墙上的一个拱门,上面爬满了常春藤,里面有个乡村座椅。 —

Mr. Rochester took it, leaving room, however, for me: —
罗切斯特先生坐了下来,不过还留了空位给我: —

but I stood before him.
但我站在他面前。

“Sit,” he said; “the bench is long enough for two. —
“坐下”,他说,“长凳够两个人坐。 —

You don’t hesitate to take a place at my side, do you? —
你不会犹豫地坐在我身边吧? —

Is that wrong, Jane?”
这样做有错吗,简?”

I answered him by assuming it: to refuse would, I felt, have been unwise.
我通过采取行动来回答他:拒绝的话,我觉得是不明智的。

“Now, my little friend, while the sun drinks the dew—while all the flowers in this old garden awake and expand, and the birds fetch their young ones’ breakfast out of the Thornfield, and the early bees do their first spell of work—I’ll put a case to you, which you must endeavour to suppose your own: —
“现在,我的小朋友,当太阳喝掉露水、当这个古老花园里的所有花儿醒来开放、鸟儿给它们的孩子找早餐食物,早期的蜜蜂开始工作的时候,我会给你提个问题,你要尽量设想一下这是你自己的情况: —

but first, look at me, and tell me you are at ease, and not fearing that I err in detaining you, or that you err in staying.”
但首先,看着我,告诉我你心安理得,不担心我拘留你,或者你在停留中犯错误。

“No, sir; I am content.”
“不,先生,我心满意足。”

“Well then, Jane, call to aid your fancy: —
“好吧,简,调动你的想象力: —

—suppose you were no longer a girl well reared and disciplined, but a wild boy indulged from childhood upwards; —
假设你不再是一个被很好培养和纪律严明的女孩,而是一个从小被纵容的野孩子; —

imagine yourself in a remote foreign land; —
在遥远的异乡想象自己; —

conceive that you there commit a capital error, no matter of what nature or from what motives, but one whose consequences must follow you through life and taint all your existence. —
想象你在那里犯下一个重大错误,不论是什么性质或出于何种动机,但其后果会贯穿你的一生并污染你的存在。 —

Mind, I don’t say a crime; I am not speaking of shedding of blood or any other guilty act, which might make the perpetrator amenable to the law: —
注意,我没有说是罪行,我不是在讲述流血或其他违法行为,这可能使行为人应为法律负责: —

my word is error. The results of what you have done become in time to you utterly insupportable; —
我所说的是错误。你所做的事情的结果终将对你来说无法忍受; —

you take measures to obtain relief: unusual measures, but neither unlawful nor culpable. —
你采取措施来获得救赎:不寻常的措施,但既不违法也不有罪。 —

Still you are miserable; for hope has quitted you on the very confines of life: —
但你还是痛苦不堪;因为希望已在生命的边缘离你而去。 —

your sun at noon darkens in an eclipse, which you feel will not leave it till the time of setting. —
正午时分,你的太阳被日食所遮蔽,你感觉它直到落山才会恢复明亮。 —

Bitter and base associations have become the sole food of your memory: —
你的记忆中只剩下了苦涩和卑陋的联想,它们成为了你唯一的食粮。 —

you wander here and there, seeking rest in exile: —
你在外流浪,寻找放逐中的安宁。 —

happiness in pleasure—I mean in heartless, sensual pleasure—such as dulls intellect and blights feeling. —
你追求快乐,指的是那种无情、感官的快乐,它麻痹了智力,扼杀了情感。 —

Heart-weary and soul-withered, you come home after years of voluntary banishment: —
心灵疲惫,灵魂枯竭,在自愿流亡多年后你终于回到了家。 —

you make a new acquaintance—how or where no matter: —
你结识了一个新朋友,无论是如何或者在何地结识并不重要。 —

you find in this stranger much of the good and bright qualities which you have sought for twenty years, and never before encountered; —
在这个陌生人身上,你发现了你寻找了二十年却从未遇到过的许多美好和明亮的品质。 —

and they are all fresh, healthy, without soil and without taint. Such society revives, regenerates: —
它们都是新鲜、健康的,没有污染和玷污。这样的交往使你恢复了活力,焕发了新生: —

you feel better days come back—higher wishes, purer feelings; —
你感到美好的日子回来了,你的愿望更高,情感更纯净。 —

you desire to recommence your life, and to spend what remains to you of days in a way more worthy of an immortal being. —
你渴望重新开始你的生活,把剩下的日子过得更加配得上一个不朽的存在。 —

To attain this end, are you justified in overleaping an obstacle of custom—a mere conventional impediment which neither your conscience sanctifies nor your judgment approves?”
为了达到这个目标,你是否可以越过善意的陌生人的障碍,这个障碍只是一种偶然的习俗,既无助于你的良心,也没有得到你的批准?

He paused for an answer: and what was I to say? —
我该怎么回答他呢? —

Oh, for some good spirit to suggest a judicious and satisfactory response! Vain aspiration! —
哎,希望有一个善良的灵魂能给我一个明智且令人满意的回答吧!徒劳的期望! —

The west wind whispered in the ivy round me; —
西风在我周围的常青藤中低语; —

but no gentle Ariel borrowed its breath as a medium of speech: —
但没有温柔的亚里欧借用它的呼吸来说话: —

the birds sang in the tree-tops; but their song, however sweet, was inarticulate.
鸟儿在树梢上唱歌,但他们的歌声,虽然甜美,却是含糊不清的。

Again Mr. Rochester propounded his query:
罗切斯特先生再次提出了他的问题:

“Is the wandering and sinful, but now rest-seeking and repentant, man justified in daring the world’s opinion, in order to attach to him for ever this gentle, gracious, genial stranger, thereby securing his own peace of mind and regeneration of life?”
“迷失和堕落的人是否有正当理由,为了让这位温柔、仁慈、友好的陌生人永远陪伴在他身边,敢于无视世人的看法,以此来获得自己的内心安宁和重生?”

“Sir,” I answered, “a wanderer’s repose or a sinner’s reformation should never depend on a fellow-creature. —
“先生,我回答你,一个流浪者的安宁或者一个罪人的改过不应该依赖于其他人。” —

Men and women die; philosophers falter in wisdom, and Christians in goodness: —
男人和女人都会死去;哲学家会在智慧上摇摇欲坠,基督徒会在善良上犯错误。 —

if any one you know has suffered and erred, let him look higher than his equals for strength to amend and solace to heal.”
如果你认识任何一个受苦和犯错的人,让他寻求比他的同辈更高的力量来改过自新和获得安慰。

“But the instrument—the instrument! God, who does the work, ordains the instrument. —
但是工具——工具!上帝创造了工具来完成工作。 —

I have myself—I tell it you without parable—been a worldly, dissipated, restless man; —
我自己,我毫不隐讳地告诉你,曾是世俗、放荡和不安分的人。 —

and I believe I have found the instrument for my cure in—”
我相信我在……找到了治疗自己的工具。

He paused: the birds went on carolling, the leaves lightly rustling. —
他停顿了一下:鸟儿继续歌唱,树叶轻轻沙沙作响。 —

I almost wondered they did not check their songs and whispers to catch the suspended revelation; —
我几乎奇怪它们为什么没停下来,用他们的歌声和低语来捕捉暂停中的启示。 —

but they would have had to wait many minutes—so long was the silence protracted. —
但他们将不得不等待很长时间——因为沉默很长。 —

At last I looked up at the tardy speaker: —
最后,我抬头看着那个迟到的说者: —

he was looking eagerly at me.
他急切地看着我。

“Little friend,” said he, in quite a changed tone—while his face changed too, losing all its softness and gravity, and becoming harsh and sarcastic—“you have noticed my tender penchant for Miss Ingram: —
“小朋友,”他的声调完全改变了—他的脸也变得嘲讽和尖锐起来—”你注意到我对英格拉姆小姐的深情了。 —

don’t you think if I married her she would regenerate me with a vengeance?”
你不觉得如果我娶了她,她会带着复仇的心情让我恢复吗?

He got up instantly, went quite to the other end of the walk, and when he came back he was humming a tune.
他立刻站起来,安静地走到散步道的另一边,回来的时候他哼起了一支曲子。

“Jane, Jane,” said he, stopping before me, “you are quite pale with your vigils: —
“简,简,” 他在我面前停下来说道, “你的值夜让你脸色苍白: —

don’t you curse me for disturbing your rest?”
你会不会因为打扰你的休息而诅咒我?

“Curse you? No, sir.”
诅咒你?不,先生。

“Shake hands in confirmation of the word. What cold fingers! —
请握手确认一下这个词。多冷的手指啊! —

They were warmer last night when I touched them at the door of the mysterious chamber. —
在昨晚我摸开神秘房间的门时它们还热乎呢。 —

Jane, when will you watch with me again?”
简,你什么时候再跟我一起守夜呢?

“Whenever I can be useful, sir.”
只要我能帮得上忙,先生。

“For instance, the night before I am married! I am sure I shall not be able to sleep. —
比如,在我结婚的前一晚!我确定我会睡不着。 —

Will you promise to sit up with me to bear me company? —
你能保证陪我守夜吗? —

To you I can talk of my lovely one: for now you have seen her and know her.”
对你我可以谈论我可爱的那个人:因为现在你已经见过她并且认识她了。

“Yes, sir.”
是的,先生。

“She’s a rare one, is she not, Jane?”
她是一个稀有的人,不是吗,简?

“Yes, sir.”
是的,先生。

“A strapper—a real strapper, Jane: big, brown, and buxom; —
“一个体格威猛的人,简直可以说是真正的汉子,又高又黑,身材丰满; —

with hair just such as the ladies of Carthage must have had. Bless me! —
头发像迦太基的女人那样。天哪! —

there’s Dent and Lynn in the stables! Go in by the shrubbery, through that wicket.”
马厩里有登特和林恩!从那个小门子穿过灌木丛进去。”

As I went one way, he went another, and I heard him in the yard, saying cheerfully—
当我朝一个方向走时,他朝另一个方向走,我听到他在院子里欢快地说道—

“Mason got the start of you all this morning; —
“梅森今天早上比你们都早出发; —

he was gone before sunrise: I rose at four to see him off.”
他在日出前就离开了:我在四点就起来送他。”