There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. —-
那天没有可能散步。 —-

We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning; —-
事实上,上午的时候我们在没有叶子的灌木丛中游荡了一个小时; —-

but since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre, and a rain so penetrating, that further outdoor exercise was now out of the question.
但是午饭之后(除了有客人的时候,里德夫人会提前用餐),寒冷的冬风带来了厚重的乌云和湿透人体的雨水,再次外出运动是不可能的。

I was glad of it: I never liked long walks, especially on chilly afternoons: —-
对此我感到高兴:我从来不喜欢长时间的步行, 尤其是在寒冷的下午: —-

dreadful to me was the coming home in the raw twilight, with nipped fingers and toes, and a heart saddened by the chidings of Bessie, the nurse, and humbled by the consciousness of my physical inferiority to Eliza, John, and Georgiana Reed.
对我来说, 在刺骨的黄昏回家是可怕的,手指和脚趾冻伤了,而内心却因为贝西的责骂和对伊莱扎、约翰和乔治安娜·里德的生理劣势感到沮丧。

The said Eliza, John, and Georgiana were now clustered round their mama in the drawing-room: —-
伊莱扎、约翰和乔治安娜现在聚集在客厅里的妈妈身旁: —-

she lay reclined on a sofa by the fireside, and with her darlings about her (for the time neither quarrelling nor crying) looked perfectly happy. —-
她斜躺在壁炉边的沙发上,有了她的宝贝们围绕着(这一次他们没有争吵或哭泣),看起来非常幸福。 —-

Me, she had dispensed from joining the group; —-
她不需要我加入这个圈子。 —-

saying, “She regretted to be under the necessity of keeping me at a distance; —-
她不得不遗憾地保持我与她保持距离; —-

but that until she heard from Bessie, and could discover by her own observation, that I was endeavouring in good earnest to acquire a more sociable and childlike disposition, a more attractive and sprightly manner—something lighter, franker, more natural, as it were—she really must exclude me from privileges intended only for contented, happy, little children.”
但是,在她听到贝西的消息之前,并能通过自己的观察发现,我真诚地努力获得更加社交和孩子气的性格,更加吸引人和活泼的态度- 一种更加轻松,真诚,更自然的方式,所以她真的必须将我排除在只为满足幸福的小孩子而设的特权之外。

“What does Bessie say I have done?” I asked.
“贝西说我做了什么?” 我问道。

“Jane, I don’t like cavillers or questioners; —-
“简,我不喜欢吹毛求疵的人或者质问的人; —-

besides, there is something truly forbidding in a child taking up her elders in that manner. —-
况且,一个孩子以那种方式质问长辈真的有点可怕。 —-

Be seated somewhere; and until you can speak pleasantly, remain silent.”
到某个地方坐下;在你能愉快地说话之前,保持沉默。

A breakfast-room adjoined the drawing-room, I slipped in there. It contained a bookcase: —-
旁边有个早餐房,我溜了进去。里面有一个书柜。 —-

I soon possessed myself of a volume, taking care that it should be one stored with pictures. —-
我很快拿到了一本书,确保它里面有图片。 —-

I mounted into the window-seat: gathering up my feet, I sat cross-legged, like a Turk; —-
我坐到窗台上,双腿盘坐着,就像一位土耳其人。 —-

and, having drawn the red moreen curtain nearly close, I was shrined in double retirement.
拉上红色绒帘几乎完全关闭,我沉浸在双重隐居中。

Folds of scarlet drapery shut in my view to the right hand; —-
一片红色窗帘将我的视野封闭在右侧; —-

to the left were the clear panes of glass, protecting, but not separating me from the drear November day. —-
左边是透明的玻璃窗,但是没有将我与凄凉的十一月天气隔绝开来。 —-

At intervals, while turning over the leaves of my book, I studied the aspect of that winter afternoon. —-
在翻阅书页的间隙,我仔细观察着这个冬日午后的景象。 —-

Afar, it offered a pale blank of mist and cloud; —-
远处,一片苍白而模糊的云雾; —-

near a scene of wet lawn and storm-beat shrub, with ceaseless rain sweeping away wildly before a long and lamentable blast.
近处是一片被暴风雨摧残的湿地草坪和遭受无休止的雨水吹袭的灌木丛。

I returned to my book—Bewick’s History of British Birds: —-
我回到了我的书《比威克的英国鸟类历史》上: —-

the letterpress thereof I cared little for, generally speaking; —-
其中的印刷文字对我来说意义不大,一般情况下我都不太在意; —-

and yet there were certain introductory pages that, child as I was, I could not pass quite as a blank. —-
然而,有些引言的页数,就算我是个孩子,也不能完全当作空白来看待。 —-

They were those which treat of the haunts of sea-fowl; —-
它们论及海鸟的栖息地; —-

of “the solitary rocks and promontories” by them only inhabited; —-
那些“仅有海鸟居住的孤岩和海角”。 —-

of the coast of Norway, studded with isles from its southern extremity, the Lindeness, or Naze, to the North Cape—
挨着挪威海岸,从其南端的林德内斯(或纳兹)开始,到北角的群岛点缀着小岛。

“Where the Northern Ocean, in vast whirls, Boils round the naked, melancholy isles Of farthest Thule; —-
“在远离陆地的萨韦尔,北海湾呼啸而过,环绕着裸露而凄凉的小岛无休止地旋转。 —-

and the Atlantic surge Pours in among the stormy Hebrides.”
大西洋的浪涛奔涌入暴风雨频发的赫布里底群岛之间。”

Nor could I pass unnoticed the suggestion of the bleak shores of Lapland, Siberia, Spitzbergen, Nova Zembla, Iceland, Greenland, with “the vast sweep of the Arctic Zone, and those forlorn regions of dreary space,—that reservoir of frost and snow, where firm fields of ice, the accumulation of centuries of winters, glazed in Alpine heights above heights, surround the pole, and concentre the multiplied rigours of extreme cold. —-
我也未能忽视拉普兰、西伯利亚、斯匹次卑尔根、新挪威斯基岛、冰岛、格陵兰等荒凉海岸的暗示,还有“北极地区的广袤一片以及抑郁的寒冷之地,那里积雪积冰了几个世纪,冰川高地上层层相叠,一直环绕着北极点,凝聚着极寒的严冬。 —-

” Of these death-white realms I formed an idea of my own: —-
在这些死寂白色的领域中,我形成了自己的概念: —-

shadowy, like all the half-comprehended notions that float dim through children’s brains, but strangely impressive. —-
如同儿童脑海中漂浮的所有半理解的念头一样,神秘而深刻。 —-

The words in these introductory pages connected themselves with the succeeding vignettes, and gave significance to the rock standing up alone in a sea of billow and spray; —-
这些引言页上的文字与接下来的小品故事相连,给那独自耸立在波涛汹涌之中的岩石赋予了意义; —-

to the broken boat stranded on a desolate coast; —-
给那搁浅在荒凉海岸上的破碎船只赋予了意义; —-

to the cold and ghastly moon glancing through bars of cloud at a wreck just sinking.
给那寒冷而可怕的月亮透过云层的缝隙照射在即将沉没的残骸上赋予了意义;

I cannot tell what sentiment haunted the quite solitary churchyard, with its inscribed headstone; —-
我无法说清楚什么样的情感笼罩着那个地方,那里只有安静的教堂、镌刻着名字的墓碑、一道门、两棵树、低矮的地平线和刚刚升起的新月,这些都是黄昏的见证; —-

its gate, its two trees, its low horizon, girdled by a broken wall, and its newly-risen crescent, attesting the hour of eventide.
我相信那两艘停泊在一片死水之上的船只只是海上的幻影;

The two ships becalmed on a torpid sea, I believed to be marine phantoms.
那个恶魔将小偷的包袱钉在他身后,我匆忙路过;

The fiend pinning down the thief’s pack behind him, I passed over quickly: —-
这是一个令人恐惧的对象; —-

it was an object of terror.
那个黑色有角的生物独自坐在岩石上,俯视着远处的人群,他们正围观一具绞刑架;

So was the black horned thing seated aloof on a rock, surveying a distant crowd surrounding a gallows.
每幅画都讲述着一个故事,对于我尚未成熟的理解和不完善的情感来说常常充满神秘,但却总是深深地吸引着我;

Each picture told a story; mysterious often to my undeveloped understanding and imperfect feelings, yet ever profoundly interesting: —-
Please note that there is no 10th sentence in the original text. —-

as interesting as the tales Bessie sometimes narrated on winter evenings, when she chanced to be in good humour; —-
贝西有时候在冬夜的好心情下讲述的故事同样有趣。 —-

and when, having brought her ironing-table to the nursery hearth, she allowed us to sit about it, and while she got up Mrs. Reed’s lace frills, and crimped her nightcap borders, fed our eager attention with passages of love and adventure taken from old fairy tales and other ballads; —-
当她把熨衣台搬到了儿童房的壁炉旁,让我们围坐在旁边,她一边整理着里德夫人的花边,一边用古老的童话和其他歌颂爱情与冒险的故事来满足我们的渴望。 —-

or (as at a later period I discovered) from the pages of Pamela, and Henry, Earl of Moreland.
或者(后来我发现)是从《帕米拉》和《莫尔兰伯爵亨利》的书页上选取的片段。

With Bewick on my knee, I was then happy: happy at least in my way. —-
当我把比威克放在膝上时,我就快乐了:至少用我的方式快乐。 —-

I feared nothing but interruption, and that came too soon. —-
我只害怕被打断,而那很快就发生了。 —-

The breakfast-room door opened.
早餐室的门打开了。

“Boh! Madam Mope!” cried the voice of John Reed; —-
“嘿!懒洋洋的太太!”约翰·里德的声音喊道; —-

then he paused: he found the room apparently empty.
然后他停顿了下来:他发现房间里似乎没人。

“Where the dickens is she!” he continued. “Lizzy! Georgy! —-
“她到底去哪了!”他继续说道,“莉兹!乔治!(对着他的姐妹们喊道)琼不在这儿:告诉妈妈她跑出去淋雨了——坏东西!” —-

(calling to his sisters) Joan is not here: —-
“幸好我拉上了窗帘,”我心想; —-

tell mama she is run out into the rain—bad animal!”
请妈妈注意琼已经跑出去了。

“It is well I drew the curtain,” thought I; —-
“幸好我拉上了窗帘,”我心想。 —-

and I wished fervently he might not discover my hiding-place: —-
我热切地希望他不要发现我的藏身之处: —-

nor would John Reed have found it out himself; —-
翰·里德自己也不会找到它; —-

he was not quick either of vision or conception; —-
的视力和理解力都不快; —-

but Eliza just put her head in at the door, and said at once—
伊莱扎刚好把头伸进门来,马上就说道-

“She is in the window-seat, to be sure, Jack.”
她肯定在窗台上,Jack。”

And I came out immediately, for I trembled at the idea of being dragged forth by the said Jack.
立即走了出去,因为我害怕被Jack拖出去。

“What do you want?” I asked, with awkward diffidence.
你想要什么?”我尴尬地问道。

“Say, ‘What do you want, Master Reed?’” was the answer. “I want you to come here; —-
说,’你想要什么,里德先生?’”回答说。“我想让你过来; —-

” and seating himself in an arm-chair, he intimated by a gesture that I was to approach and stand before him.
他坐在一把扶手椅上,示意我走过去站在他面前。

John Reed was a schoolboy of fourteen years old; four years older than I, for I was but ten: —-
翰·里德是一个十四岁的学生;比我大四岁,因为我只有十岁: —-

large and stout for his age, with a dingy and unwholesome skin; —-
得又高又胖,皮肤暗淡不健康; —-

thick lineaments in a spacious visage, heavy limbs and large extremities. —-
廓清晰的宽脸,浑身沉重,四肢粗壮。 —-

He gorged himself habitually at table, which made him bilious, and gave him a dim and bleared eye and flabby cheeks. —-
他习惯性地在餐桌上狼吞虎咽,这让他产生了胆道的问题,导致他的眼睛显得暗淡无神,脸颊松弛无力。 —-

He ought now to have been at school; but his mama had taken him home for a month or two, “on account of his delicate health. —-
实际上,他现在应该在学校,但他妈妈因为他体弱多病,把他带回家休养了一个月或两个月。 —-

” Mr. Miles, the master, affirmed that he would do very well if he had fewer cakes and sweetmeats sent him from home; —-
迈尔斯先生,他的老师,表示如果少给他寄些蛋糕和糖果回来,他将过得很好。 —-

but the mother’s heart turned from an opinion so harsh, and inclined rather to the more refined idea that John’s sallowness was owing to over-application and, perhaps, to pining after home.
但母亲的心对于这么苛刻的观点持保留态度,而更倾向于更高雅的想法,认为约翰的面色苍白是因为学业太过用心,或者因为思念家乡。

John had not much affection for his mother and sisters, and an antipathy to me. —-
约翰对母亲和姐妹们并没有很多的感情,对我却有强烈的反感。 —-

He bullied and punished me; not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually: —-
他欺负我,惩罚我,不是一周两三次,也不是一天一两次,而是一直无休止地。 —-

every nerve I had feared him, and every morsel of flesh in my bones shrank when he came near. —-
当他靠近时,我每根神经都害怕他,我骨子里每一丝肌肉都会紧缩。 —-

There were moments when I was bewildered by the terror he inspired, because I had no appeal whatever against either his menaces or his inflictions; —-
有时候,他饯我惧怕得不知所措,因为我对他的威胁和折磨毫无办法; —-

the servants did not like to offend their young master by taking my part against him, and Mrs. Reed was blind and deaf on the subject: —-
仆人们不愿得罪年轻的主人支持我,而且里德夫人对此视若无睹; —-

she never saw him strike or heard him abuse me, though he did both now and then in her very presence, more frequently, however, behind her back.
她从未见过他打我,听到他辱骂我,尽管他偶尔在她眼前这么做,更多的时候则背地里;

Habitually obedient to John, I came up to his chair: —-
作为约翰的习惯顺从者,我走到了他的椅子前; —-

he spent some three minutes in thrusting out his tongue at me as far as he could without damaging the roots: —-
他花了大约三分钟伸出舌头,尽可能地伸得远一些但不伤到根部; —-

I knew he would soon strike, and while dreading the blow, I mused on the disgusting and ugly appearance of him who would presently deal it. —-
我知道他很快就会打我,同时害怕这一击,我想着将要给我打这一击的人的恶心和丑陋的外表; —-

I wonder if he read that notion in my face; —-
我不知道他是否从我的脸上看出了这个念头; —-

for, all at once, without speaking, he struck suddenly and strongly. —-
因为突然而有力地,他毫不言语地打了我一下; —-

I tottered, and on regaining my equilibrium retired back a step or two from his chair.
我踉跄了一下,并在恢复平衡后退了两步离开他的椅子。

“That is for your impudence in answering mama awhile since,” said he, “and for your sneaking way of getting behind curtains, and for the look you had in your eyes two minutes since, you rat!”
“这是因为你刚才回答妈妈的话太无礼了,”他说,“还有你偷偷躲在帘子后面的样子,还有你刚才眼里的表情,你这只老鼠!”

Accustomed to John Reed’s abuse, I never had an idea of replying to it; —-
习惯了约翰·里德的欺压,我从来没有回应过他的欺负; —-

my care was how to endure the blow which would certainly follow the insult.
我只关心如何忍受必然会随之而来的侮辱。

“What were you doing behind the curtain?” he asked.
“你在帘子后面做什么?”他问道。

“I was reading.”
“我在看书。”

“Show the book.”
“把书拿出来给我看。”

I returned to the window and fetched it thence.
我回到窗前把书拿了出来。

“You have no business to take our books; you are a dependent, mama says; you have no money; —-
“你没有权利拿我们的书,你是个依赖别人的人,妈妈说的;你没有钱; —-

your father left you none; you ought to beg, and not to live here with gentlemen’s children like us, and eat the same meals we do, and wear clothes at our mama’s expense. —-
你爸爸没给你留下任何钱;你应该去讨饭而不是和我们这些绅士的孩子们一起住,吃着和我们一样的饭菜,穿着用妈妈的钱买的衣服。 —-

Now, I’ll teach you to rummage my bookshelves: for they are mine; —-
现在,我要教训你乱翻我的书架:因为它们是我的; —-

all the house belongs to me, or will do in a few years. —-
整个房子都属于我,或者几年内会属于我。 —-

Go and stand by the door, out of the way of the mirror and the windows.”
你去站在门边,不要挡在镜子和窗户前面。”

I did so, not at first aware what was his intention; —-
我这样做,起初并不意识到他的意图; —-

but when I saw him lift and poise the book and stand in act to hurl it, I instinctively started aside with a cry of alarm: —-
但当我看到他举起书本并摆好姿势准备扔出去时,我本能地惊恐地躲开并发出一声惊叫: —-

not soon enough, however; the volume was flung, it hit me, and I fell, striking my head against the door and cutting it. —-
然而,并不够及时,那本书被扔了出来,打中了我,我摔倒在地,头撞到了门上,留下一道伤口。 —-

The cut bled, the pain was sharp: my terror had passed its climax; —-
伤口流血,疼痛刺骨:我的恐惧已经达到了顶点; —-

other feelings succeeded.
之后是其他的感觉。

“Wicked and cruel boy!” I said. “You are like a murderer—you are like a slave-driver—you are like the Roman emperors!”
“邪恶而残忍的孩子!”我说。“你就像个杀人犯 - 你就像奴隶主 - 你就像罗马皇帝!”

I had read Goldsmith’s History of Rome, and had formed my opinion of Nero, Caligula, &c. —-
我读过戈兹史密斯的《罗马史》,对尼禄、加里古拉等形成了自己的观点。 —-

Also I had drawn parallels in silence, which I never thought thus to have declared aloud.
我曾默默地进行类比,没想到会这样大声地表达出来。

“What! what!” he cried. “Did she say that to me? —-
“什么!她对我说那个吗? —-

Did you hear her, Eliza and Georgiana? Won’t I tell mama? but first—”
你们听到了吗,伊莱扎和乔治安娜?我要告诉妈妈!不过先……”

He ran headlong at me: I felt him grasp my hair and my shoulder: —-
他向我冲过来,我感觉到他抓住了我的头发和肩膀: —-

he had closed with a desperate thing. I really saw in him a tyrant, a murderer. —-
他和一个绝望的东西搏斗在一起。我真的在他身上看到了一个暴君,一个杀人犯。 —-

I felt a drop or two of blood from my head trickle down my neck, and was sensible of somewhat pungent suffering: —-
我感到了几滴血从我头上流下脖子,同时感受到了一些刺痛的痛苦。 —-

these sensations for the time predominated over fear, and I received him in frantic sort. —-
这种感觉暂时压倒了恐惧,我疯狂地接受了他。 —-

I don’t very well know what I did with my hands, but he called me “Rat! Rat! —-
我不太清楚我用手做了什么,但他称我为“耗子!耗子!”,并大声喊叫。有人过来帮助他: —-

” and bellowed out aloud. Aid was near him: —-
伊莱扎和乔治安娜已经去找里德夫人了,她已经上楼了: —-

Eliza and Georgiana had run for Mrs. Reed, who was gone upstairs: —-
她现在来到了现场,后面跟着贝西和她的女仆艾伯特。我们被分开了: —-

she now came upon the scene, followed by Bessie and her maid Abbot. We were parted: —-
我听到了这样的话语—— —-

I heard the words—
“亲爱的!亲爱的!真是愤怒得要冲向约翰先生!”

“Dear! dear! What a fury to fly at Master John!”
“有人见过这样的盛怒吗?!”

“Did ever anybody see such a picture of passion!”
然后里德夫人接着说——

Then Mrs. Reed subjoined—
“把她带到红房间去,把她锁在里面。”

“Take her away to the red-room, and lock her in there. —-
立刻有四只手搀扶着我,我被抬上了楼。 —-

” Four hands were immediately laid upon me, and I was borne upstairs.
连续送上。