The month of courtship had wasted: its very last hours were being numbered. —
求婚时光已逝,它最后的几个小时正在被计算。 —

There was no putting off the day that advanced—the bridal day; —
不能推迟那个日子的到来——婚礼的日子; —

and all preparations for its arrival were complete. I, at least, had nothing more to do: —
一切迎接它的准备工作都已完成。至少对我来说,我没有别的事要做: —

there were my trunks, packed, locked, corded, ranged in a row along the wall of my little chamber; —
我的行李已经打包好了,锁好了,用绳子捆紧了,排在我小房间的墙边; —

to-morrow, at this time, they would be far on their road to London: —
明天这个时候,它们将远离这里,开往伦敦; —

and so should I (D.V.),—or rather, not I, but one Jane Rochester, a person whom as yet I knew not. The cards of address alone remained to nail on: —
我也会这样。(若上帝许可的话)——或者更确切地说,不是我,而是一个名叫简·罗切斯特的人,至今我还不曾认识他。只剩下地址标签要贴上了: —

they lay, four little squares, in the drawer. —
它们就在抽屉里,四个小方块。 —

Mr. Rochester had himself written the direction, “Mrs. Rochester, —— Hotel, London,” on each: —
罗切斯特先生亲自写上了地址:“伦敦——酒店,罗切斯特太太”, —

I could not persuade myself to affix them, or to have them affixed. Mrs. Rochester! —
我没能说服自己贴上它们,或者让别人贴上。罗切斯特太太! —

She did not exist: she would not be born till to-morrow, some time after eight o’clock A.M.; —
她还不存在,直到明天上午八点过后的某个时候才会诞生。 —

and I would wait to be assured she had come into the world alive before I assigned to her all that property. —
我会等待确保她活着降临到这个世界上,然后再分配给她所有的财产。 —

It was enough that in yonder closet, opposite my dressing-table, garments said to be hers had already displaced my black stuff Lowood frock and straw bonnet: —
在那扇衣橱里,据说是她的衣物已经取代了我那件黑色的洛伍德洋装和草帽。 —

for not to me appertained that suit of wedding raiment; —
那套婚服不属于我; —

the pearl-coloured robe, the vapoury veil pendent from the usurped portmanteau. —
那件珍珠色的长袍,那条悬挂在被占用的衣箱上的薄纱面纱。 —

I shut the closet to conceal the strange, wraith-like apparel it contained; —
我把衣橱关上,掩盖住了里面奇怪、像鬼魂一样的装束; —

which, at this evening hour—nine o’clock—gave out certainly a most ghostly shimmer through the shadow of my apartment. —
此时已经晚上九点,在我的房间里,这些衣物肯定透过阴影散发出最诡异的光芒。 —

“I will leave you by yourself, white dream,” I said. “I am feverish: —
“我会把你一个人留下,白色的梦,”我说道。“我发烧了: —

I hear the wind blowing: I will go out of doors and feel it.”
我听到风声:我要出门去感受一下风。”

It was not only the hurry of preparation that made me feverish; —
不仅是准备的匆忙使我发烧; —

not only the anticipation of the great change—the new life which was to commence to-morrow: —
也不仅仅是对即将开始的新生活的期待: —

both these circumstances had their share, doubtless, in producing that restless, excited mood which hurried me forth at this late hour into the darkening grounds: —
毫无疑问,这两种情况都导致了我心情不安,焦躁不安,使我在这个深夜匆匆走出黑暗的庭院。 —

but a third cause influenced my mind more than they.
但是有第三个原因比它们更能影响我的思想。

I had at heart a strange and anxious thought. Something had happened which I could not comprehend; —
我心里有一个奇怪而焦虑的想法。发生了一件我无法理解的事情; —

no one knew of or had seen the event but myself: it had taken place the preceding night. —
除了我自己之外,没有人知道或见过这个事件:它发生在前一晚。 —

Mr. Rochester that night was absent from home; nor was he yet returned: —
那天晚上罗切斯特先生不在家;他还没有回来: —

business had called him to a small estate of two or three farms he possessed thirty miles off—business it was requisite he should settle in person, previous to his meditated departure from England. —
有事情叫他去他拥有的两三个农场的小地产,那个地方离这儿有三十英里的路程 - 这是他在离开英国之前必须亲自解决的事情。 —

I waited now his return; eager to disburthen my mind, and to seek of him the solution of the enigma that perplexed me. —
我现在等待着他的归来;迫切地想要倾诉我的心事,并向他寻求这个困扰我的谜团的答案。 —

Stay till he comes, reader; and, when I disclose my secret to him, you shall share the confidence.
读者,等他回来后再说;当我向他透露我的秘密时,你会分享我的信任。

I sought the orchard, driven to its shelter by the wind, which all day had blown strong and full from the south, without, however, bringing a speck of rain. —
我寻找了果园,被风驱赶到它的庇护之下,整天从南方强风呼啸而来,但却没有带来一丝雨水。 —

Instead of subsiding as night drew on, it seemed to augment its rush and deepen its roar: —
随着夜幕降临,风势似乎不减反增,声音越来越深沉。 —

the trees blew steadfastly one way, never writhing round, and scarcely tossing back their boughs once in an hour; —
树木顺风倒,从不扭曲,几乎每个小时也不会摇摆一次。 —

so continuous was the strain bending their branchy heads northward—the clouds drifted from pole to pole, fast following, mass on mass: —
其间树枝持续低垂向北弯曲,云层从极圈漂流至极圈,越来越密集。 —

no glimpse of blue sky had been visible that July day.
那个七月的一天没有一丁点蓝天可见。

It was not without a certain wild pleasure I ran before the wind, delivering my trouble of mind to the measureless air-torrent thundering through space. —
我在风前奔跑,将我心头的烦恼交付给无尽的空中暴风,这种感觉颇具一种野性的愉悦。 —

Descending the laurel walk, I faced the wreck of the chestnut-tree; it stood up black and riven: —
沿着月桂树行走下来,我面对着那颗被摧残的栗树;它黑漆漆地竖立着,被撕裂的伤口使人毛骨悚然。 —

the trunk, split down the centre, gasped ghastly. —
树干中间裂开,显得恐怖可怖。 —

The cloven halves were not broken from each other, for the firm base and strong roots kept them unsundered below; —
这颗分开的树干并未完全断裂,因为坚实的根基保持了它们在下面紧密相连。 —

though community of vitality was destroyed—the sap could flow no more: —
虽然生机勃勃的团体被摧毁-树液再也不能流动: —

their great boughs on each side were dead, and next winter’s tempests would be sure to fell one or both to earth: —
它们两旁的巨大枝条都已经枯死,下一个冬天的暴风雨必定会把它们连根拔起: —

as yet, however, they might be said to form one tree—a ruin, but an entire ruin.
然而,此刻它们可以被视为构成一棵树-废墟,但仍完整无缺。

“You did right to hold fast to each other,” I said: —
我说:“你们相互坚持住是对的。” —

as if the monster-splinters were living things, and could hear me. —
仿佛这些巨大的碎片是活的,可以听见我的话一样。 —

“I think, scathed as you look, and charred and scorched, there must be a little sense of life in you yet, rising out of that adhesion at the faithful, honest roots: —
我认为,尽管你们看起来焦黑和破损,但你们的根部执着的连接中一定还有一丝生机: —

you will never have green leaves more—never more see birds making nests and singing idyls in your boughs; —
你们将再也没有绿色的叶子-也永远不会再看到鸟儿在你们的枝上筑巢歌唱了; —

the time of pleasure and love is over with you: but you are not desolate: —
享受快乐和爱的时光已经结束了,但你们并不孤独: —

each of you has a comrade to sympathise with him in his decay. —
每一个人都有一个同伴与他在衰朽中相互理解。 —

” As I looked up at them, the moon appeared momentarily in that part of the sky which filled their fissure; —
当我仰望它们时,月亮短暂地出现在填充它们夹缝的那部分天空中; —

her disk was blood-red and half overcast; —
她的圆盘是血红色的,被云遮挡了一半。 —

she seemed to throw on me one bewildered, dreary glance, and buried herself again instantly in the deep drift of cloud. —
她似乎投掷给了我一瞥迷茫而沉闷的目光,随即又立刻埋头在浓密的云堆中。 —

The wind fell, for a second, round Thornfield; —
那一刹那,风停了,围绕着索恩菲尔德。 —

but far away over wood and water, poured a wild, melancholy wail: —
但是远处的林木和水面上传来一阵野性而忧郁的哀号: —

it was sad to listen to, and I ran off again.
它听起来很悲伤,于是我又匆匆离开了。

Here and there I strayed through the orchard, gathered up the apples with which the grass round the tree roots was thickly strewn; —
我在果园里到处游荡,捡拾着厚厚扔在树根周围的苹果。 —

then I employed myself in dividing the ripe from the unripe; —
然后我开始分开熟的和未熟的。 —

I carried them into the house and put them away in the store-room. —
我把它们拿进屋子,收藏在储藏室里。 —

Then I repaired to the library to ascertain whether the fire was lit, for, though summer, I knew on such a gloomy evening Mr. Rochester would like to see a cheerful hearth when he came in: —
然后我去图书馆检查一下是否已经点燃了火,因为尽管是夏天,我知道在这样阴郁的晚上,罗切斯特先生会喜欢看到一个温暖的炉火。 —

yes, the fire had been kindled some time, and burnt well. —
是的,火已经点燃了一段时间,燃得很好。 —

I placed his arm-chair by the chimney-corner: I wheeled the table near it: —
我把他的扶手椅放在炉边,把桌子推近它旁边: —

I let down the curtain, and had the candles brought in ready for lighting. —
我放下了窗帘,让人拿来了蜡烛,准备点燃。 —

More restless than ever, when I had completed these arrangements I could not sit still, nor even remain in the house: —
比以往更加焦躁不安,当我完成了这些安排后,我坐不住了,甚至无法待在屋子里: —

a little time-piece in the room and the old clock in the hall simultaneously struck ten.
房间里的小挂钟和走廊里的老时钟同时敲响了十下。

“How late it grows!” I said. “I will run down to the gates: it is moonlight at intervals; —
我说:“多么晚啊!我得跑下去看看大门口:月光时隐时现; —

I can see a good way on the road. He may be coming now, and to meet him will save some minutes of suspense.”
我在路上可以看见很远。他可能现在就来了,跟他见面将节省一些焦虑的时间。”

The wind roared high in the great trees which embowered the gates; —
风在郁郁葱葱的大树中呼啸; —

but the road as far as I could see, to the right hand and the left, was all still and solitary: —
但就我所能看到的范围来说,左右两边的道路都是宁静而孤寂的: —

save for the shadows of clouds crossing it at intervals as the moon looked out, it was but a long pale line, unvaried by one moving speck.
除了有时月亮露出脸庞时云彩的阴影阵阵掠过,只有一条长而苍白的路线,没有任何一个移动的小点。

A puerile tear dimmed my eye while I looked—a tear of disappointment and impatience; —
当我看着时,一个幼稚的眼泪蒙蔽了我的眼睛—这是失望和不耐烦的眼泪; —

ashamed of it, I wiped it away. I lingered; —
对此感到羞愧,我抹去了它。我徘徊; —

the moon shut herself wholly within her chamber, and drew close her curtain of dense cloud: —
月亮完全钻进了她的密云幕中,拉上了她的窗帘,我仍然逗留着。 —

the night grew dark; rain came driving fast on the gale.
夜色渐渐昏暗;雨水在狂风中急速地袭来。

“I wish he would come! I wish he would come!” I exclaimed, seized with hypochondriac foreboding. —
“我希望他能来!我希望他能来!”我情绪低落地嘀咕着,被一种忧郁的预感所困扰。 —

I had expected his arrival before tea; now it was dark: what could keep him? —
我曾预计他会在茶前到达;现在天色已晚,他怎么还没到? —

Had an accident happened? The event of last night again recurred to me. —
是不是出了什么事故?昨晚的事件又在我脑海中重现。 —

I interpreted it as a warning of disaster. I feared my hopes were too bright to be realised; —
我把它解读为一个灾难的预兆。我担心自己的希望过于美好,无法实现; —

and I had enjoyed so much bliss lately that I imagined my fortune had passed its meridian, and must now decline.
而我最近享受了如此多的幸福,以至于认为我的运气已经过了巅峰,现在必将走下坡路。

“Well, I cannot return to the house,” I thought; —
“好吧,我不能回到房子里,”我想, —

“I cannot sit by the fireside, while he is abroad in inclement weather: —
“我不能坐在炉火旁,而他还在外面受着风雨寒冷的折磨:” —

better tire my limbs than strain my heart; —
“勉强我的身体比伤透我的心好; —

I will go forward and meet him.”
我要继续前行去迎接他。”

I set out; I walked fast, but not far: ere I had measured a quarter of a mile, I heard the tramp of hoofs; —
我出发了;我快步行走,但并没有走多远:在我走了四分之一英里之前,我听到了蹄声; —

a horseman came on, full gallop; a dog ran by his side. Away with evil presentiment! It was he: —
一个骑马的人飞速驰来;一只狗在他身边奔跑。消除那不祥的预感吧!那是他: —

here he was, mounted on Mesrour, followed by Pilot. He saw me; —
就在这里,他骑在梅苏尔身上,后面跟着皮洛特。他看到了我; —

for the moon had opened a blue field in the sky, and rode in it watery bright: —
因为月亮在天空中打开了一片蓝色的领域,并在其中骑行,散发着明亮的光芒; —

he took his hat off, and waved it round his head. —
他摘下了帽子,挥舞着绕着脑袋旋转; —

I now ran to meet him.
我现在跑去迎接他;

“There!” he exclaimed, as he stretched out his hand and bent from the saddle: —
“看到了吗!”他大喊一声,伸出手并从马鞍上弯下腰: —

“You can’t do without me, that is evident. —
“你离不开我,这是显而易见的。 —

Step on my boot-toe; give me both hands: mount!”
踩在我的靴子脚尖上;给我双手:骑上去!”

I obeyed: joy made me agile: I sprang up before him. —
我顺从地行动起来:喜悦使我机敏:我跳到了他的面前。 —

A hearty kissing I got for a welcome, and some boastful triumph, which I swallowed as well as I could. —
我得到了一个热情的亲吻作为欢迎,以及一些夸耀的胜利,我尽量咽下了。 —

He checked himself in his exultation to demand, “But is there anything the matter, Janet, that you come to meet me at such an hour? —
他在得意洋洋中停了下来,问道:”但是,珍妮特,有什么事吗,你竟然这么晚来接我? —

Is there anything wrong?”
有什么问题吗?”

“No, but I thought you would never come. —
“没有,但是我以为你永远不会来了。 —

I could not bear to wait in the house for you, especially with this rain and wind.”
我无法忍受在屋子里等你,特别是在这样的雨和风中。”

“Rain and wind, indeed! Yes, you are dripping like a mermaid; pull my cloak round you: —
“雨和风,的确!是的,你像美人鱼一样湿漉漉的;把我的斗篷裹在身上:不要着凉。” —

but I think you are feverish, Jane: both your cheek and hand are burning hot. —
但是我觉得你发烧了,简:你的脸颊和手都烧得很烫。 —

I ask again, is there anything the matter?”
我再问一遍,有什么事吗?”

“Nothing now; I am neither afraid nor unhappy.”
现在没事了,我既不害怕也不不开心。”

“Then you have been both?”
那你之前既害怕又不开心了吗?”

“Rather: but I’ll tell you all about it by-and-by, sir; —
还算是吧,但我过会儿会告诉你所有的事情,先生; —

and I daresay you will only laugh at me for my pains.”
我敢说你只会因为我的麻烦而笑我。”

“I’ll laugh at you heartily when to-morrow is past; till then I dare not: —
等明天过去了我会大笑不止,但现在我不敢:我的奖励还没有确定。 —

my prize is not certain. This is you, who have been as slippery as an eel this last month, and as thorny as a briar-rose? —
你这一个月来就像一条滑溜溜的鳗鱼,又像一朵荆棘玫瑰一样刺人。 —

I could not lay a finger anywhere but I was pricked; —
我无论放在哪里都会被刺痛; —

and now I seem to have gathered up a stray lamb in my arms. —
现在我好像抱着一只走失的小羔羊。 —

You wandered out of the fold to seek your shepherd, did you, Jane?”
你离开了羊圈去找你的牧羊人了,是吗,简?”

“I wanted you: but don’t boast. Here we are at Thornfield: now let me get down.”
“我想找你,但别吹嘘。我们已经到了索恩菲尔德:让我下来吧。”

He landed me on the pavement. As John took his horse, and he followed me into the hall, he told me to make haste and put something dry on, and then return to him in the library; —
他把我放在人行道上。约翰牵着他的马,他跟着我走进大厅,告诉我赶快换件干衣服,然后回图书馆找他; —

and he stopped me, as I made for the staircase, to extort a promise that I would not be long: —
当我朝楼梯走去时,他拦住了我,并敲诈我答应不要太久之后回来。 —

nor was I long; in five minutes I rejoined him. I found him at supper.
我没有花很长时间;五分钟后我重新回到他身边。我发现他正在吃晚餐。

“Take a seat and bear me company, Jane: —
“请坐下来陪我,简。 —

please God, it is the last meal but one you will eat at Thornfield Hall for a long time.”
请上帝保佑,这将是你在索恩菲尔德庄园吃的最后一餐,至少在很长一段时间内都是这样。”

I sat down near him, but told him I could not eat.
我坐在他旁边,但告诉他我吃不下。

“Is it because you have the prospect of a journey before you, Jane? —
“是因为你前面还有一段旅程的缘故吗,简? —

Is it the thoughts of going to London that takes away your appetite?”
是去伦敦的想法让你没有食欲吗?”

“I cannot see my prospects clearly to-night, sir; —
“今晚我看不清我的前景,先生; —

and I hardly know what thoughts I have in my head. —
我几乎不知道自己脑子里在想些什么。 —

Everything in life seems unreal.”
生活中的一切似乎都不真实。”

“Except me: I am substantial enough—touch me.”
“除了我:我足够实在-来碰碰我。”

“You, sir, are the most phantom-like of all: you are a mere dream.”
“您,先生,是所有人中最像幽灵的:您只是一个梦。”

He held out his hand, laughing. “Is that a dream?” said he, placing it close to my eyes. —
他伸出手来笑着说:“这是一个梦吗?”他把手靠近我的眼睛。 —

He had a rounded, muscular, and vigorous hand, as well as a long, strong arm.
他有着圆润、有力和健壮的手,还有一只又长又强壮的手臂。

“Yes; though I touch it, it is a dream,” said I, as I put it down from before my face. —
“是的,虽然我碰到它,但这是一个梦,”我说着,把它从我的面前放下。 —

“Sir, have you finished supper?”
“先生,您已经吃完晚饭了吗?”

“Yes, Jane.”
“是的,简。”

I rang the bell and ordered away the tray. —
我按铃叫人把盘子拿走。 —

When we were again alone, I stirred the fire, and then took a low seat at my master’s knee.
当我们再次独处时,我搅动了火,然后坐在主人的膝盖上。

“It is near midnight,” I said.
“快到午夜了,”我说。

“Yes: but remember, Jane, you promised to wake with me the night before my wedding.”
“是的,但请记住,简,你答应在我婚礼前一晚和我一起醒来。”

“I did; and I will keep my promise, for an hour or two at least: I have no wish to go to bed.”
“我答应过,至少会守约几个小时:我不想上床睡觉。”

“Are all your arrangements complete?”
“您的所有安排都准备好了吗?”

“All, sir.”
“全都准备好了,先生。”

“And on my part likewise,” he returned, “I have settled everything; —
“而我也是一样,”他回答说,“我已经安排好了一切; —

and we shall leave Thornfield to-morrow, within half-an-hour after our return from church.”
“明天我们将从教堂回来后的半个小时内离开索恩菲尔德。”

“Very well, sir.”
“好的,先生。”

“With what an extraordinary smile you uttered that word—‘very well,’ Jane! —
“你说出那个‘好的’时带着多么奇特的笑容,简!你的每个脸颊都有一块明亮的颜色! —

What a bright spot of colour you have on each cheek! —
请击鼓! —

and how strangely your eyes glitter! Are you well?”
“你的眼睛闪烁得多么奇怪啊!你还好吗?”

“I believe I am.”
“我相信我很好。”

“Believe! What is the matter? Tell me what you feel.”
“相信?怎么了?告诉我你的感受。”

“I could not, sir: no words could tell you what I feel. —
“先生,我无法用言语来描述我所感受的。” —

I wish this present hour would never end: —
“我希望这个时刻永远不会结束。” —

who knows with what fate the next may come charged?”
“谁知道下一个时刻可能带来什么命运呢?”

“This is hypochondria, Jane. You have been over-excited, or over-fatigued.”
“这是忧郁症,简。你可能过度兴奋或过度疲劳了。”

“Do you, sir, feel calm and happy?”
“你,先生,感到平静和幸福吗?”

“Calm?—no: but happy—to the heart’s core.”
“平静?不,但幸福——深入心灵。”

I looked up at him to read the signs of bliss in his face: it was ardent and flushed.
我抬头看着他脸上洋溢的喜悦:“请给我你的信任,简”,他说,

“Give me your confidence, Jane,” he said: —
“将你心中的负担告诉我,让我来分担。 —

“relieve your mind of any weight that oppresses it, by imparting it to me. —
你害怕什么?怕我不会成为一个好丈夫吗?” —

What do you fear?—that I shall not prove a good husband?”
“那完全不在我的考虑之内。”

“It is the idea farthest from my thoughts.”
“你对即将踏入的新领域感到害怕吗?

“Are you apprehensive of the new sphere you are about to enter? —
难道很怕吗?” —

—of the new life into which you are passing?”
“那么,先生,难道您不觉得——请问,这是您要过渡到的新生活吗?”

“No.”
“不是。”

“You puzzle me, Jane: your look and tone of sorrowful audacity perplex and pain me. —
“那您让我感到疑惑,简:您忧郁而大胆的神情和语调让我困惑而痛苦。 —

I want an explanation.”
我想要一个解释。”

“Then, sir, listen. You were from home last night?”
“那么,请听着。昨晚您不在家吗?”

“I was: I know that; and you hinted a while ago at something which had happened in my absence: —
“是的,我知道;而且刚才您暗示在我不在的时候发生了什么事情: —

—nothing, probably, of consequence; but, in short, it has disturbed you. Let me hear it. —
可能并无关紧要的事情;但是,总之,这让您困扰。请告诉我。 —

Mrs. Fairfax has said something, perhaps? —
费尔法克斯夫人说了什么吗? —

or you have overheard the servants talk? —
或者您偷听到了仆人们的谈话? —

—your sensitive self-respect has been wounded?”
您的自尊心受到了伤害吗?”

“No, sir.” It struck twelve—I waited till the time-piece had concluded its silver chime, and the clock its hoarse, vibrating stroke, and then I proceeded.
“不是,先生。” 十二点的钟声响起,我等待了直到时钟结束了银色的鸣响,以及钟表发出嘶哑而震撼人心的敲击声,然后我继续说道。

“All day yesterday I was very busy, and very happy in my ceaseless bustle; —
“昨天一整天我都非常忙碌,为了我不停的忙碌而感到非常快乐; —

for I am not, as you seem to think, troubled by any haunting fears about the new sphere, et cetera: —
因为,正如您所认为的那样,我并没有对新的生活领域产生任何困扰的恐惧: —

I think it a glorious thing to have the hope of living with you, because I love you. —
我认为能够与您一起生活是一件光荣的事情,因为我爱您。” —

No, sir, don’t caress me now—let me talk undisturbed. —
先生,请不要此刻抚摸我——让我安静地说话。 —

Yesterday I trusted well in Providence, and believed that events were working together for your good and mine: —
昨天我深信上天的安排,相信一切都在为你和我好发生。 —

it was a fine day, if you recollect—the calmness of the air and sky forbade apprehensions respecting your safety or comfort on your journey. —
回想起来,那是一个晴朗的日子,空气和天空的宁静让我对你的旅途安全和舒适没有担忧。 —

I walked a little while on the pavement after tea, thinking of you; —
晚饭后,我在人行道上走了一小会儿,想着你; —

and I beheld you in imagination so near me, I scarcely missed your actual presence. —
我几乎感觉得到你就在我身边,我几乎没有感到你的实际存在的缺失。 —

I thought of the life that lay before me—your life, sir—an existence more expansive and stirring than my own: —
我想着等待着我的生活——你的生活,先生——一个比我自己更宽广、更激动人心的存在: —

as much more so as the depths of the sea to which the brook runs are than the shallows of its own strait channel. —
正如大海深处对比地小溪的水道一样,更加辽阔深邃。 —

I wondered why moralists call this world a dreary wilderness: for me it blossomed like a rose. —
我曾想为什么道德家们将这个世界称为一片荒凉的荒野:对我来说,它如玫瑰一般盛开。 —

Just at sunset, the air turned cold and the sky cloudy: —
傍晚时分,空气变冷,天空多云: —

I went in, Sophie called me upstairs to look at my wedding-dress, which they had just brought; —
我进屋了,索菲叫我上楼看看他们刚刚拿来的婚纱。 —

and under it in the box I found your present—the veil which, in your princely extravagance, you sent for from London: —
我在盒子里找到了你的礼物——那块面纱,你以你的铺张浪费,特意从伦敦给我寄来的。 —

resolved, I suppose, since I would not have jewels, to cheat me into accepting something as costly. —
我猜想,你既然不愿意给我珠宝,就想骗我接受一件同样昂贵的东西。 —

I smiled as I unfolded it, and devised how I would tease you about your aristocratic tastes, and your efforts to masque your plebeian bride in the attributes of a peeress. —
当我展开它的时候,我微笑了,想着如何拿你的贵族品味和努力把你的平民新娘伪装成贵妇人来逗你的玩笑。 —

I thought how I would carry down to you the square of unembroidered blond I had myself prepared as a covering for my low-born head, and ask if that was not good enough for a woman who could bring her husband neither fortune, beauty, nor connections. —
我想象着我会拿着那块我亲手准备的未经刺绣的方形薄纱罩在我的低贱头上,问你是否对一个既没有财富、容貌,也没有亲戚关系的女人来说,这样做是否非常足够。 —

I saw plainly how you would look; and heard your impetuous republican answers, and your haughty disavowal of any necessity on your part to augment your wealth, or elevate your standing, by marrying either a purse or a coronet.”
我清楚地想象到你的表情,听到你的冲动回答和你骄傲地否认你有必要通过婚姻来增加财富或提高地位,无论是靠钱袋还是冠冕。

“How well you read me, you witch!” interposed Mr. Rochester: —
“你真了解我,你这个巫婆!”罗切斯特先生插话道。 —

“but what did you find in the veil besides its embroidery? —
“但是你在面纱里除了它的刺绣还找到了什么? —

Did you find poison, or a dagger, that you look so mournful now?”
“你找到了毒药,还是匕首,才会看起来这么悲伤?”

“No, no, sir; besides the delicacy and richness of the fabric, I found nothing save Fairfax Rochester’s pride; —
“没有,先生;除了面料的精致和丰富,我没有找到任何东西,除了罗切斯特先生的骄傲; —

and that did not scare me, because I am used to the sight of the demon. —
“那并没有吓到我,因为我习惯了见到这个魔鬼。 —

But, sir, as it grew dark, the wind rose: —
“但是,先生,天黑了,风渐起: —

it blew yesterday evening, not as it blows now—wild and high—but ‘with a sullen, moaning sound’ far more eerie. —
“它昨晚吹得不像现在这样狂野和高涨,而是带着一种阴森、呻吟的声音,更让人毛骨悚然。 —

I wished you were at home. I came into this room, and the sight of the empty chair and fireless hearth chilled me. —
“我希望你在家。我走进这个房间,看到空荡荡的椅子和没有火的壁炉,让我感到寒意。 —

For some time after I went to bed, I could not sleep—a sense of anxious excitement distressed me. —
“我上床后有一段时间无法入睡,一种焦虑的兴奋感困扰着我。 —

The gale still rising seemed to my ear to muffle a mournful under-sound; —
“风暴还在逐渐升级,我听到一种哀伤的低音; —

whether in the house or abroad I could not at first tell, but it recurred, doubtful yet doleful at every lull; —
“起初我无法确定是在室内还是室外,但每次间歇时,它都会徘徊不定地重复,让人心痛。” —

at last I made out it must be some dog howling at a distance. I was glad when it ceased. —
最后我明白这一定是有只狗在远处嚎叫。当它停止时,我很高兴。 —

On sleeping, I continued in dreams the idea of a dark and gusty night. —
在睡眠中,我继续梦到一个黑暗而狂风呼号的夜晚的想法。 —

I continued also the wish to be with you, and experienced a strange, regretful consciousness of some barrier dividing us. —
我还继续想要和你在一起,并体验到一种奇怪而懊悔的意识,感觉有某种隔阂将我们分开。 —

During all my first sleep, I was following the windings of an unknown road; —
在我全部第一次的睡眠中,我一直在追随一条未知的道路的曲折。 —

total obscurity environed me; rain pelted me; I was burdened with the charge of a little child: —
我周围一片漆黑;雨水猛烈地打在我身上;我负责照顾一个小孩: —

a very small creature, too young and feeble to walk, and which shivered in my cold arms, and wailed piteously in my ear. —
一个非常小的、年幼而虚弱无力的生物,太小无法行走,在我寒冷的怀抱中颤抖,并在我耳边可怜兮兮地哭泣。 —

I thought, sir, that you were on the road a long way before me; —
我以为,先生,你在我面前的路上走了很长一段时间; —

and I strained every nerve to overtake you, and made effort on effort to utter your name and entreat you to stop—but my movements were fettered, and my voice still died away inarticulate; —
我竭尽全力赶上你,努力发出你的名字,并恳求你停下来——但我的动作受到限制,我的声音仍然无法形成语言; —

while you, I felt, withdrew farther and farther every moment.”
而您,我感觉到,每一刻都在不断地远离。”

“And these dreams weigh on your spirits now, Jane, when I am close to you? Little nervous subject! —
“这些梦想现在压在你的心头,简,当我靠近你的时候?有点紧张的对象! —

Forget visionary woe, and think only of real happiness! You say you love me, Janet: —
忘记幻想的痛苦,只想着真正的幸福!你说你爱我,珍妮特: —

yes—I will not forget that; and you cannot deny it. —
是的 - 我不会忘记,而你也不能否认。 —

Those words did not die inarticulate on your lips. I heard them clear and soft: —
那些话没有无声地从你的嘴唇上消失。我听到它们清晰而柔和: —

a thought too solemn perhaps, but sweet as music—‘I think it is a glorious thing to have the hope of living with you, Edward, because I love you. —
或许是个庄重的思想,但像音乐一样甜美 - ‘我觉得能与你生活在一起是件光荣的事情,爱德华,因为我爱你。 —

’ Do you love me, Jane?—repeat it.”
你爱我,简吗? - 重复一遍。”

“I do, sir—I do, with my whole heart.”
“是的,先生 - 是的,我全心全意地爱您。”

“Well,” he said, after some minutes’ silence, “it is strange; —
“好吧,”他在沉默了几分钟之后说,“这真是奇怪; —

but that sentence has penetrated my breast painfully. Why? —
但那句话深深地刺痛了我的胸膛。为什么呢? —

I think because you said it with such an earnest, religious energy, and because your upward gaze at me now is the very sublime of faith, truth, and devotion: —
我想是因为你说得如此认真、虔诚,而你现在向我仰望的目光正充满了信仰、真理和奉献的崇高: —

it is too much as if some spirit were near me. Look wicked, Jane: as you know well how to look: —
这让我感觉好像有一个灵魂在我附近。看起来邪恶一点,简:你很擅长这样看: —

coin one of your wild, shy, provoking smiles; tell me you hate me—tease me, vex me; —
给我一个你野性、害羞、挑衅的微笑;告诉我你讨厌我——戏弄我,烦恼我; —

do anything but move me: I would rather be incensed than saddened.”
做任何事,只要别感动我:我宁愿愤怒也不愿悲伤。”

“I will tease you and vex you to your heart’s content, when I have finished my tale: —
我会逗你、恼你,直到你心满意足,等我讲完故事之后: —

but hear me to the end.”
但请听我说完。

“I thought, Jane, you had told me all. I thought I had found the source of your melancholy in a dream.”
我以为,简,你已经告诉我全部了。我以为我在一个梦中找到了你忧郁的源头。

I shook my head. “What! is there more? But I will not believe it to be anything important. —
我摇了摇头。“什么!还有更多吗?但我不会相信那是什么重要的事情。 —

I warn you of incredulity beforehand. Go on.”
我事先警告你不要不信。接着说吧。”

The disquietude of his air, the somewhat apprehensive impatience of his manner, surprised me: but I proceeded.
他不安的神态,他有些担忧的焦躁态度让我感到惊讶,但我还是继续了下去。

“I dreamt another dream, sir: that Thornfield Hall was a dreary ruin, the retreat of bats and owls. I thought that of all the stately front nothing remained but a shell-like wall, very high and very fragile-looking. —
“我做了另一个梦,先生:索恩菲尔德庄园成了一片荒凉而破败的废墟,成了蝙蝠和猫头鹰的栖息地。我想象中整个华丽的建筑只剩下一个像壳一样的高而脆弱的墙体。 —

I wandered, on a moonlight night, through the grass-grown enclosure within: —
我在月光下,漫步在长满草的庭院里: —

here I stumbled over a marble hearth, and there over a fallen fragment of cornice. —
这里我绊倒在大理石炉床上,又在坠落的石腰上一头栽倒。 —

Wrapped up in a shawl, I still carried the unknown little child: —
裹在披肩里,我依然抱着那个陌生的小孩: —

I might not lay it down anywhere, however tired were my arms—however much its weight impeded my progress, I must retain it. —
无论多么疲累,无论它的重量多么妨碍我前进,我不能把它放下。 —

I heard the gallop of a horse at a distance on the road; I was sure it was you; —
我听到远处路上有一匹马飞驰的声音; 我确定那是你; —

and you were departing for many years and for a distant country. —
而你正在离开很多年,前往一个遥远的国家。 —

I climbed the thin wall with frantic perilous haste, eager to catch one glimpse of you from the top: the stones rolled from under my feet, the ivy branches I grasped gave way, the child clung round my neck in terror, and almost strangled me; —
我疯狂而危险地爬上那堵狭窄的墙,渴望从顶端一瞥你的身影:石块从我的脚下滚落,我抓住的常春藤枝条断裂,孩子恐惧地勒住我的脖子,差点勒死我; —

at last I gained the summit. I saw you like a speck on a white track, lessening every moment. —
最后我登上了山顶。我看到你如同一个小点在一条白线上,逐渐变小。 —

The blast blew so strong I could not stand. I sat down on the narrow ledge; —
狂风吹得我站不稳。我坐在窄窄的檐口上; —

I hushed the scared infant in my lap: you turned an angle of the road: —
我轻声哄着那个惊恐的婴儿,你转过了一个路角: —

I bent forward to take a last look; the wall crumbled; I was shaken; —
我前身弯下来,最后看了一眼;墙壁崩塌了;我被震撼了; —

the child rolled from my knee, I lost my balance, fell, and woke.”
孩子从我的腿上滚下来,我失去了平衡,摔倒了,然后醒来了。

“Now, Jane, that is all.”
“现在,简,就这样。”

“All the preface, sir; the tale is yet to come. On waking, a gleam dazzled my eyes; —
“所有的前言,先生;故事还没有开始。醒来时,我的眼中闪烁着一丝光芒; —

I thought—Oh, it is daylight! But I was mistaken; it was only candlelight. —
我以为–哦,是白天了!但我错了;那只是烛光。 —

Sophie, I supposed, had come in. There was a light in the dressing-table, and the door of the closet, where, before going to bed, I had hung my wedding-dress and veil, stood open; —
我以为是索菲进来了。梳妆台上有一盏灯,我之前在睡觉前把婚纱和面纱挂在壁橱里的门敞开着; —

I heard a rustling there. I asked, ‘Sophie, what are you doing?’ No one answered; —
我听到里面有沙沙的声音。我问:“索菲,你在干什么?”没有人回答; —

but a form emerged from the closet; it took the light, held it aloft, and surveyed the garments pendent from the portmanteau. —
但是一个身影从壁橱里走出来;他举起了灯,高高举起并观察着从行李箱上悬挂的衣服。 —

‘Sophie! Sophie!’ I again cried: and still it was silent. —
“索菲!索菲!”我又喊道:但仍然没有声音。 —

I had risen up in bed, I bent forward: first surprise, then bewilderment, came over me; —
我已经从床上站了起来,身体向前倾斜:先是惊讶,然后是困惑,接着我的血液在体内流淌得冰冷。 —

and then my blood crept cold through my veins. —
那时,我的家园已经变成了灰烬堆积的幽境。 —

Mr. Rochester, this was not Sophie, it was not Leah, it was not Mrs. Fairfax: —
罗切斯特先生,这不是索菲,不是莉亚,也不是费尔法克斯夫人。 —

it was not—no, I was sure of it, and am still—it was not even that strange woman, Grace Poole.”
甚至不是那个叫格蕾丝·普尔的陌生女人。

“It must have been one of them,” interrupted my master.
“一定是他们中的一个人,”我主人插话道。

“No, sir, I solemnly assure you to the contrary. —
“不,先生,我郑重地向您保证恰恰相反。 —

The shape standing before me had never crossed my eyes within the precincts of Thornfield Hall before; —
在索恩菲尔德庄园的范围内,我从未见过站在我面前的这个人; —

the height, the contour were new to me.”
身高和轮廓对我来说是陌生的。

“Describe it, Jane.”
“请描述一下,简。”

“It seemed, sir, a woman, tall and large, with thick and dark hair hanging long down her back. —
“先生,那个女人看起来又高又胖,浓密的黑发垂在她背后。” —

I know not what dress she had on: it was white and straight; —
“我不知道她穿着什么衣服:它是白色的,笔直;” —

but whether gown, sheet, or shroud, I cannot tell.”
“但是我无法确定是裙子、被单还是寿衣。”

“Did you see her face?”
“你看到她的脸了吗?”

“Not at first. But presently she took my veil from its place; —
“一开始没有。但过了一会儿,她从我头上取下面纱; —

she held it up, gazed at it long, and then she threw it over her own head, and turned to the mirror. At that moment I saw the reflection of the visage and features quite distinctly in the dark oblong glass.”
她举起来,长时间地凝视着,然后把它披在自己的头上,然后转过身去照镜子。那一刻,我清楚地在那个黑色长方形玻璃中看到了她面容和五官的倒影。”

“And how were they?”
“她们是什么样的?”

“Fearful and ghastly to me—oh, sir, I never saw a face like it! —
“对我来说,那是可怕和可憎的——哦,先生,我从未见过这样的脸! —

It was a discoloured face—it was a savage face. —
那是一张变色的脸——是一张野蛮的脸。 —

I wish I could forget the roll of the red eyes and the fearful blackened inflation of the lineaments!”
我希望我能忘记那红色眼睛的滚动和那令人恐惧的黑色浮肿的面容!”

“Ghosts are usually pale, Jane.”
“幽灵通常都很苍白,简。”

“This, sir, was purple: the lips were swelled and dark; the brow furrowed: —
“但是,先生,这张脸是紫色的:唇部肿胀而黑;额头有皱纹: —

the black eyebrows widely raised over the bloodshot eyes. —
黑色的眉毛高高挑起,覆盖在红血丝眼睛上方。 —

Shall I tell you of what it reminded me?”
我可以告诉你,它让我想起了什么吗?”

“You may.”
“可以。”

“Of the foul German spectre—the Vampyre.”
“那个可怕的德国鬼魂——吸血鬼。”

“Ah!—what did it do?”
“啊!它做了什么?”

“Sir, it removed my veil from its gaunt head, rent it in two parts, and flinging both on the floor, trampled on them.”
“先生,它从它那削瘦的头上取下了我的面纱,撕成两半,然后扔到地上,踩了上去。”

It removed my veil from its gaunt head, rent it in two parts, and flinging both on the floor, trampled on them
“它从它那削瘦的头上取下了我的面纱,撕成两半,然后扔到地上,踩了上去。”

“Afterwards?”
“之后呢?”

“It drew aside the window-curtain and looked out; —
“它拉开窗帘往外看了一眼; —

perhaps it saw dawn approaching, for, taking the candle, it retreated to the door. —
或许它看到了黎明的迹象,因为它拿着蜡烛后退到门边。 —

Just at my bedside, the figure stopped: the fiery eyes glared upon me—she thrust up her candle close to my face, and extinguished it under my eyes. —
就在我床边,那个人影停下来:火红的眼睛盯着我——她把蜡烛举得离我的脸很近,然后在我眼前把它灭掉。 —

I was aware her lurid visage flamed over mine, and I lost consciousness: —
我明白,她光秃秃的脸贴在我的上面,我失去了知觉: —

for the second time in my life—only the second time—I became insensible from terror.”
我这一生中第二次——唯一的第二次——由于恐惧而昏迷。”

“Who was with you when you revived?”
“你清醒过来时有人在你身边吗?”

“No one, sir, but the broad day. I rose, bathed my head and face in water, drank a long draught; —
“没有,先生,那时已经到了白天。我起身,用水洗了洗头和脸,喝了一大口水。” —

felt that though enfeebled I was not ill, and determined that to none but you would I impart this vision. —
虽然身体虚弱,但我并不生病,我决定只向你透露这个幻象。 —

Now, sir, tell me who and what that woman was?”
现在,请告诉我那个女人是谁,是什么人?

“The creature of an over-stimulated brain; that is certain. —
这是过于刺激的大脑造成的产物,这是肯定的。 —

I must be careful of you, my treasure: nerves like yours were not made for rough handling.”
我必须小心保护你,我的宝贝:你的神经不适合粗暴对待。

“Sir, depend on it, my nerves were not in fault; —
先生,请相信,我的神经没错;这件事是真实发生的。 —

the thing was real: the transaction actually took place.”
之前的梦境,它们也是真实的吗?索恩菲尔德庄园是一片废墟吗?

“And your previous dreams, were they real too? Is Thornfield Hall a ruin? —
我是否因为无法逾越的障碍和你分开? —

Am I severed from you by insuperable obstacles? —
我是否要不留一滴眼泪、一吻、一句话地离开你? —

Am I leaving you without a tear—without a kiss—without a word?”
还没有。

“Not yet.”
我即将这样做吗?哪,新的一天已经开始,这一天将把我们紧密地联系在一起;

“Am I about to do it? Why, the day is already commenced which is to bind us indissolubly; —
而一旦我们团结在一起,这些心灵上的恐怖就不会再发生:我保证。 —

and when we are once united, there shall be no recurrence of these mental terrors: —
心灵上的恐怖,先生!我希望能够相信它们只是那样:现在比以往任何时候更希望如此; —

I guarantee that.”
真切如此。

“Mental terrors, sir! I wish I could believe them to be only such: I wish it more now than ever; —
现在是时候了。 —

since even you cannot explain to me the mystery of that awful visitant.”
因为连你自己也无法解释给我,那个可怕的来访者的谜团。

“And since I cannot do it, Jane, it must have been unreal.”
“而且既然我也不能解释,简,那肯定是虚幻的。”

“But, sir, when I said so to myself on rising this morning, and when I looked round the room to gather courage and comfort from the cheerful aspect of each familiar object in full daylight, there—on the carpet—I saw what gave the distinct lie to my hypothesis,—the veil, torn from top to bottom in two halves!”
“但是,先生,当我今天早上起来对自己说了这样的话,并且在房间里环顾四周,以期望在明亮的光线下从每一个熟悉的物体的愉快面貌中获得勇气和安慰时,我在地毯上看到了令我假设受到了打击的确凿证据——那个从上到下被撕成两半的面纱!”

I felt Mr. Rochester start and shudder; he hastily flung his arms round me. “Thank God! —
我感觉罗切斯特先生吃了一惊,颤抖起来;他迅速将双臂环抱在我身上。“谢天谢地!”他喊道,“如果昨晚真有什么邪恶的东西靠近你,那只是面纱受到了伤害。” —

” he exclaimed, “that if anything malignant did come near you last night, it was only the veil that was harmed. —
“哦,想想看可能发生了什么事情!”他呼吸急促地说着,把我紧紧地搂在怀里,我几乎喘不过气来。 —

Oh, to think what might have happened!”
沉默了几分钟后,他高兴地说道:

He drew his breath short, and strained me so close to him, I could scarcely pant. —
“现在,珍妮特,我来给你解释一切。那是半梦半真的。 —

After some minutes’ silence, he continued, cheerily—
我怀疑一个女人进了你的房间。

“Now, Janet, I’ll explain to you all about it. It was half dream, half reality. —
她肯定进了你的房间。她撕裂了你的面纱。 —

A woman did, I doubt not, enter your room: —
谢天谢地,如果昨晚有什么恶意的东西接近你,只是面纱受到了伤害。 —

and that woman was—must have been—Grace Poole. You call her a strange being yourself: —
那个女人肯定是——一定是——格雷斯·普尔。你自己也说过她是一个奇怪的存在: —

from all you know, you have reason so to call her—what did she do to me? what to Mason? —
根据你所知,你有理由这样称呼她——她对我做了什么?门森又是怎么样的? —

In a state between sleeping and waking, you noticed her entrance and her actions; —
在你半睡半醒的状态下,你注意到她进来和她的行动; —

but feverish, almost delirious as you were, you ascribed to her a goblin appearance different from her own: —
但在你发烧,几乎神志不清的情况下,你把她描绘成了一个与众不同的妖精样貌: —

the long dishevelled hair, the swelled black face, the exaggerated stature, were figments of imagination; —
长乱发,肿胀的黑脸,夸张的身材,都是想象中的产物; —

results of nightmare: the spiteful tearing of the veil was real: and it is like her. —
是噩梦的结果:她恶意地撕毁面纱是真实的:而且和她很像。 —

I see you would ask why I keep such a woman in my house: —
我明白你为什么要问我为什么把这样一个女人留在我家里: —

when we have been married a year and a day, I will tell you; but not now. —
当我们结婚一年一天后,我会告诉你的,但现在不行。 —

Are you satisfied, Jane? Do you accept my solution of the mystery?”
简,你满意了吗?你接受我对这个谜团的解释吗?

I reflected, and in truth it appeared to me the only possible one: —
我思考了一下,事实上,对我来说,这似乎是唯一可能的解释: —

satisfied I was not, but to please him I endeavoured to appear so—relieved, I certainly did feel; —
我虽然不满意,但为了取悦他,我努力装出满意的样子——我确实松了一口气; —

so I answered him with a contented smile. —
于是我满意地微笑回答了他。 —

And now, as it was long past one, I prepared to leave him.
现在已经过了一点钟,我准备离开他。

“Does not Sophie sleep with Adèle in the nursery?” he asked, as I lit my candle.
“索菲没有跟阿黛勒一起睡在幼儿室吗?”他问道,当我点燃蜡烛时。

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“And there is room enough in Adèle’s little bed for you. —
“阿黛勒的小床里有足够的空间可以和你一起睡。 —

You must share it with her to-night, Jane: —
今晚你必须和她一起分享,简: —

it is no wonder that the incident you have related should make you nervous, and I would rather you did not sleep alone: —
你因为你讲述的那个事件感到紧张是情有可原的,我宁愿你不要一个人睡觉: —

promise me to go to the nursery.”
答应我去幼儿室。”

“I shall be very glad to do so, sir.”
“我很乐意这样做,先生。”

“And fasten the door securely on the inside. —
“在里面牢牢地锁上门。 —

Wake Sophie when you go upstairs, under pretence of requesting her to rouse you in good time to-morrow; —
上楼时叫醒索菲,借口请求她明天早上及时叫醒你; —

for you must be dressed and have finished breakfast before eight. And now, no more sombre thoughts: —
因为你必须在八点之前穿好衣服并吃完早餐。现在,不要再有忧郁的想法: —

chase dull care away, Janet. Don’t you hear to what soft whispers the wind has fallen? —
赶走沉闷的忧愁,珍妮特。你没有听到风多么轻声细语吗? —

and there is no more beating of rain against the window-panes: —
窗户玻璃上也没有雨点的敲打声了。” —

look here” (he lifted up the curtain)—“it is a lovely night!”
“看这里”(他掀起了窗帘)——“今晚真美丽!”

It was. Half heaven was pure and stainless: —
的确是。半个天空纯净无瑕: —

the clouds, now trooping before the wind, which had shifted to the west, were filing off eastward in long, silvered columns. —
云朵随着风向东移动,银色的长列穿行其中。 —

The moon shone peacefully.
月亮平静地照耀着。

“Well,” said Mr. Rochester, gazing inquiringly into my eyes, “how is my Janet now?”
“嗯,”罗切斯特先生询问地凝视着我的眼睛,“我的珍妮特现在好吗?”

“The night is serene, sir; and so am I.”
“晚上很宁静,先生;我也很平静。”

“And you will not dream of separation and sorrow to-night; —
“你今晚不会梦见分离与悲伤; —

but of happy love and blissful union.”
而是快乐的爱和幸福的结合。”

This prediction was but half fulfilled: I did not indeed dream of sorrow, but as little did I dream of joy; —
这个预言只实现了一半:我确实没有梦到悲伤,但我也没有梦到快乐; —

for I never slept at all. With little Adèle in my arms, I watched the slumber of childhood—so tranquil, so passionless, so innocent—and waited for the coming day: —
因为我根本没睡着。当我抱着小阿黛勒时,我注视着她那无忧无虑、没有激情、天真无邪的睡颜并等待新的一天的到来: —

all my life was awake and astir in my frame: and as soon as the sun rose I rose too. —
我整个生活都清醒而活跃在我的身体中;当太阳升起时,我也一起起床。 —

I remember Adèle clung to me as I left her: —
我记得离开她时,小阿黛勒紧紧抓住我。 —

I remember I kissed her as I loosened her little hands from my neck; —
我记得我在松开她小巧的手从我脖子上亲吻了她; —

and I cried over her with strange emotion, and quitted her because I feared my sobs would break her still sound repose. —
我以奇特的情感为她哭泣,并离开她,因为我担心我的呜咽会打破她仍然安然入眠的姿态。 —

She seemed the emblem of my past life; and he, I was now to array myself to meet, the dread, but adored, type of my unknown future day.
她似乎是我过去生活的象征;而他,我现在要准备迎接的那个人,是我未知未来日子中可怕但又崇敬的形象。