The library looked tranquil enough as I entered it, and the Sibyl—if Sibyl she were—was seated snugly enough in an easy-chair at the chimney-corner. —
当我进入图书馆时,它显得宁静无比,而“席比尔”(如果她是席比尔的话)正舒适地坐在炉边的一把椅子上。 —

She had on a red cloak and a black bonnet: —
她身穿一件红色斗篷,戴着一顶黑色帽子。 —

or rather, a broad-brimmed gipsy hat, tied down with a striped handkerchief under her chin. —
或者更准确地说是一顶宽檐的吉普赛帽,系在她下巴下的一块条纹手帕上。 —

An extinguished candle stood on the table; —
桌子上放着一支熄灭的蜡烛。 —

she was bending over the fire, and seemed reading in a little black book, like a prayer-book, by the light of the blaze: —
她弯腰在火炉前,似乎正在一本小小的黑色书中阅读,书的样子像一本祈祷书,用火光照明: —

she muttered the words to herself, as most old women do, while she read; —
她自言自语地念着书中的字句,就像大多数老妇人在阅读时那样; —

she did not desist immediately on my entrance: —
在我进来时,她并没有立刻停下来: —

it appeared she wished to finish a paragraph.
看起来她想要读完一个段落。

I stood on the rug and warmed my hands, which were rather cold with sitting at a distance from the drawing-room fire. —
我站在火毯上,暖和起了手,因为我坐在离客厅火炉有些远的地方,手有些冷。 —

I felt now as composed as ever I did in my life: —
我现在感觉非常镇定,就像我生命中的其他时刻一样: —

there was nothing indeed in the gipsy’s appearance to trouble one’s calm. —
事实上,吉普赛人的外表并没有什么让人烦恼的。 —

She shut her book and slowly looked up; her hat-brim partially shaded her face, yet I could see, as she raised it, that it was a strange one. —
她合上书,慢慢抬起头来;帽檐部分遮住了她的脸,但当她抬起来时,我能看到,它是一顶奇怪的帽子。 —

It looked all brown and black: elf-locks bristled out from beneath a white band which passed under her chin, and came half over her cheeks, or rather jaws: —
它看起来全是棕色和黑色:精灵般的头发从一条白色的带子下面竖立起来,这条带子横过她的下颚,半覆盖住她的面颊,或者说下颚部分: —

her eye confronted me at once, with a bold and direct gaze.
她的眼睛立刻与我对视,直接而大胆地注视着我。

“Well, and you want your fortune told?” she said, in a voice as decided as her glance, as harsh as her features.
“那么,你想算命?”她的声音像她的目光一样坚决,像她的相貌一样粗糙。

“I don’t care about it, mother; you may please yourself: —
“妈,我不在乎,你自己愿意就行: —

but I ought to warn you, I have no faith.”
是我必须警告你,我不信那些东西。”

“It’s like your impudence to say so: I expected it of you; —
“这是你厚颜无耻的说法:我早就预料到了; —

I heard it in your step as you crossed the threshold.”
当你跨过门槛的时候,我听见了你的步伐。”

“Did you? You’ve a quick ear.”
“是吗?你的听力真敏锐。”

“I have; and a quick eye and a quick brain.”
“是的,我还有敏锐的眼睛和大脑。”

“You need them all in your trade.”
“你在你的行当中都需要这些。”

“I do; especially when I’ve customers like you to deal with. Why don’t you tremble?”
“没错,特别是当像你这样的顾客找上门来时。你怎么不害怕?”

“I’m not cold.”
“我不冷。”

“Why don’t you turn pale?”
“那你为什么不脸色苍白?”

“I am not sick.”
“我没病。”

“Why don’t you consult my art?”
“为什么不咨询我的艺术呢?”

“I’m not silly.”
“我不傻。”

The old crone “nichered” a laugh under her bonnet and bandage; —
那个老妇人在她的帽子和绷带下发出了一声嘲笑; —

she then drew out a short black pipe, and lighting it began to smoke. —
她接着拿出了一支短黑烟斗,点燃了它开始抽烟。 —

Having indulged a while in this sedative, she raised her bent body, took the pipe from her lips, and while gazing steadily at the fire, said very deliberately—
在沉迷于这种镇静剂一段时间后,她抬起弯曲的身体,将烟斗从嘴里拿下,同时凝视着火,非常有条理地说道–

“You are cold; you are sick; and you are silly.”
“你感到冷; 你生病; 你蠢。”

“Prove it,” I rejoined.
“证明一下,”我回答道。

“I will, in few words. You are cold, because you are alone: —
“我会用简短的话来证明。你感到冷,因为你孤独: —

no contact strikes the fire from you that is in you. You are sick; —
没有接触能在你身上激发出你内心的火焰。你生病, —

because the best of feelings, the highest and the sweetest given to man, keeps far away from you. —
因为人类所拥有的最美好、最甜美的情感远离你。 —

You are silly, because, suffer as you may, you will not beckon it to approach, nor will you stir one step to meet it where it waits you.”
你蠢,因为无论你受多大的痛苦,你都不愿招手让它接近,也不会迈出一步去迎接它等待着你的地方。”

She again put her short black pipe to her lips, and renewed her smoking with vigour.
她再次将她的短黑烟斗放在嘴里,精神焕发地开始吸烟。

“You might say all that to almost any one who you knew lived as a solitary dependent in a great house.”
“你可能会对任何一个你知道住在大宅院里的孤独依赖者说出这些话。”

“I might say it to almost any one: but would it be true of almost any one?”
“我可能会对任何一个人说出这些话吗?但那对于任何一个人来说都是真的吗?”

“In my circumstances.”
“针对我的情况来说。”

“Yes; just so, in your circumstances: but find me another precisely placed as you are.”
“是的,确实是针对你的情况:但你能找到另一个和你处境完全一样的人吗?”

“It would be easy to find you thousands.”
“你很容易找到成千上万个。”

“You could scarcely find me one. If you knew it, you are peculiarly situated: very near happiness; —
“你几乎找不到一个。如果你知道的话,你处境非常特殊:离幸福非常近;” —

yes, within reach of it. The materials are all prepared; —
“是的,就在手边,触手可及。所有的条件都已经准备好了;” —

there only wants a movement to combine them. —
“只需要一个举动来将它们结合。” —

Chance laid them somewhat apart; let them be once approached and bliss results.”
“机缘将它们稍稍分开;一旦它们接近,幸福就会降临。”

“I don’t understand enigmas. I never could guess a riddle in my life.”
“我不懂谜语。一辈子我都猜不出一个谜语。”

“If you wish me to speak more plainly, show me your palm.”
“如果你希望我说得更明白,给我看看你的手掌。”

“And I must cross it with silver, I suppose?”
“我猜我得用一枚银币在上面画个叉吧?”

“To be sure.”
“没错。”

I gave her a shilling: she put it into an old stocking-foot which she took out of her pocket, and having tied it round and returned it, she told me to hold out my hand. —
我给了她一个先令:她把它放进了一个从口袋里拿出来的旧长袜里,她把它捆起来并还给了我,然后告诉我伸出手来。 —

I did. She approached her face to the palm, and pored over it without touching it.
我伸出手。她把脸贴近我手心,凝视着却没有触碰它。

“It is too fine,” said she. “I can make nothing of such a hand as that; —
“这手太完美了,”她说。“我对这样一只没有多少纹理的手束手无策;而且,一只手掌上有什么呢? —

almost without lines: besides, what is in a palm? —
命运并不写在那里。” —

Destiny is not written there.”
“我相信你,”我说。

“I believe you,” said I.
“不,”她继续说,“命运在脸上:

“No,” she continued, “it is in the face: —
在额头上,在眼睛周围,在嘴唇的纹路里。 —

on the forehead, about the eyes, in the lines of the mouth. —
跪下,抬起你的头。” —

Kneel, and lift up your head.”
“啊!现在你开始接近现实了,”我说,顺从地跪下。

“Ah! now you are coming to reality,” I said, as I obeyed her. —
“我马上会开始对你产生一些信任。” —

“I shall begin to put some faith in you presently.”
我跪在她距离不足半码的地方。她搅动着火炭,使得一缕光从被打动的煤块中闪现出来:

I knelt within half a yard of her. She stirred the fire, so that a ripple of light broke from the disturbed coal: —
然而,她坐着时,灯光只是把她的脸投入了更深的阴影中;而我的脸被照亮了。 —

the glare, however, as she sat, only threw her face into deeper shadow: —

mine, it illumined.

“I wonder with what feelings you came to me to-night,” she said, when she had examined me a while. —
“我想知道今晚你带着怎样的情感来见我,”她说道,她检查了我一会儿。 —

“I wonder what thoughts are busy in your heart during all the hours you sit in yonder room with the fine people flitting before you like shapes in a magic-lantern: —
“我好奇你心中究竟有什么思绪,当你坐在那间房间里,精致的人们像魔幻灯一样在你面前飘过: —

just as little sympathetic communion passing between you and them as if they were really mere shadows of human forms, and not the actual substance.”
你和他们之间只有极少的心灵交流,仿佛他们真的只是人形的阴影,而不是实际的存在。”

“I feel tired often, sleepy sometimes, but seldom sad.”
“我经常感到疲倦,有时困倦,但很少感到悲伤。”

“Then you have some secret hope to buoy you up and please you with whispers of the future?”
“那么你有一些秘密的希望支撑着你,用未来的低语让你满意吗?”

“Not I. The utmost I hope is, to save money enough out of my earnings to set up a school some day in a little house rented by myself.”
“没有。我最大的希望就是能够从我的收入中省下足够的钱来开办一所自己租的小房子里的学校,将来某一天。”

“A mean nutriment for the spirit to exist on: —
“这对灵魂来说是一种平庸的滋养: —

and sitting in that window-seat (you see I know your habits)—”
而且坐在那个窗台上(你看,我了解你的习惯)—”

“You have learned them from the servants.”
“你是从仆人那里了解到的。”

“Ah! you think yourself sharp. Well, perhaps I have: —
“啊!你觉得自己很聪明。好吧,也许我确实知道: —

to speak truth, I have an acquaintance with one of them, Mrs. Poole—”
说实话,我与其中一个人相识,她是普尔夫人——”

I started to my feet when I heard the name.
当我听到这个名字时,我跳了起来。

“You have—have you?” thought I; “there is diablerie in the business after all, then!”
“你认识她?”我想,“那么事情里肯定有什么邪术!”

“Don’t be alarmed,” continued the strange being; “she’s a safe hand is Mrs. Poole: —
“别惊慌,”那个奇怪的人继续说,“普尔夫人是个可靠的人: —

close and quiet; any one may repose confidence in her. But, as I was saying: —
谨慎而安静;任何人都可以对她放心。但是,正如我刚才所说: —

sitting in that window-seat, do you think of nothing but your future school? —
在那个窗座上坐着,你难道只想着你未来的学校吗? —

Have you no present interest in any of the company who occupy the sofas and chairs before you? —
你对坐在你面前的沙发和椅子上的任何人都没有兴趣吗? —

Is there not one face you study? one figure whose movements you follow with at least curiosity?”
在你看到的人中,没有一个脸你关注吗?没有一个身材的动作引起你至少好奇吗?”

“I like to observe all the faces and all the figures.”
“我喜欢观察所有的脸和身材。”

“But do you never single one from the rest—or it may be, two?”
“但你从来没有把其中一个单独挑出来吗?或者可能是两个人?”

“I do frequently; when the gestures or looks of a pair seem telling a tale: —
“我经常这样做;当一对人的手势或表情似乎在讲述一个故事时: —

it amuses me to watch them.”
我就会觉得很有趣,会细细观察。”

“What tale do you like best to hear?”
“你最喜欢听什么样的故事?”

“Oh, I have not much choice! They generally run on the same theme—courtship; —
“噢,我没什么选择!它们通常都以同样的主题展开——求婚; —

and promise to end in the same catastrophe—marriage.”
并承诺以同样的悲剧结局——婚姻。”

“And do you like that monotonous theme?”
“你喜欢那种单调的主题吗?”

“Positively, I don’t care about it: it is nothing to me.”
“实际上,我不在乎它:对我来说没什么意义。”

“Nothing to you? When a lady, young and full of life and health, charming with beauty and endowed with the gifts of rank and fortune, sits and smiles in the eyes of a gentleman you—”
“对你来说没什么意义?当一个年轻、充满活力和健康的女士,拥有美丽、地位和财富的天赋,坐在一个男士的眼前微笑时,你—”

“I what?”
“我怎么了?”

“You know—and perhaps think well of.”
“你知道——也许还觉得不错。”

“I don’t know the gentlemen here. I have scarcely interchanged a syllable with one of them; —
“我不认识这里的绅士们。我几乎没跟他们交换过任何一句话; —

and as to thinking well of them, I consider some respectable, and stately, and middle-aged, and others young, dashing, handsome, and lively: —
于对他们有什么好感,我认为有些人受人敬重、庄重、中年,而其他的年轻、出色、英俊、活泼: —

but certainly they are all at liberty to be the recipients of whose smiles they please, without my feeling disposed to consider the transaction of any moment to me.”
是他们都可以得到她们的微笑,我对此并不认为这对我来说有多重要。”

“You don’t know the gentlemen here? You have not exchanged a syllable with one of them? —
“你不认识这里的绅士们?你没有跟他们交换过一句话?” —

Will you say that of the master of the house!”
你会说房主的那番话吗!

“He is not at home.”
“他不在家。”

“A profound remark! A most ingenious quibble! —
“高深的话!一个非常巧妙的双关语! —

He went to Millcote this morning, and will be back here to-night or to-morrow: —
他今天早上去了米尔科特,今晚或明天会回到这里: —

does that circumstance exclude him from the list of your acquaintance—blot him, as it were, out of existence?”
这个事实是否排除他在你的熟人名单之外——让他,可以说,不存在?”

“No; but I can scarcely see what Mr. Rochester has to do with the theme you had introduced.”
“否,但我几乎看不出罗切斯特先生与你所提出的话题有什么关系。”

“I was talking of ladies smiling in the eyes of gentlemen; —
“我说的是女士们朝绅士们微笑的事情; —

and of late so many smiles have been shed into Mr. Rochester’s eyes that they overflow like two cups filled above the brim: —
最近有那么多微笑洒向罗切斯特先生的眼睛,使他们溢出来,就像两个装得满满的杯子溢出来一样: —

have you never remarked that?”
你有没有注意到这一点?”

“Mr. Rochester has a right to enjoy the society of his guests.”
“罗切斯特先生有权享受客人的社交活动。”

“No question about his right: but have you never observed that, of all the tales told here about matrimony, Mr. Rochester has been favoured with the most lively and the most continuous?”
“毫无疑问,他有这个权利,但你有没有注意到,在这里讲述婚姻故事中,罗切斯特先生得到了最活跃、最持续的关注?”

“The eagerness of a listener quickens the tongue of a narrator. —
“聆听者的渴望会激发讲述者的口才。 —

” I said this rather to myself than to the gipsy, whose strange talk, voice, manner, had by this time wrapped me in a kind of dream. —
我说这句话时更像是对自己说的,而不是对那位吉普赛人说的,她奇怪的谈话、声音和举止让我陷入了一种梦境之中。 —

One unexpected sentence came from her lips after another, till I got involved in a web of mystification; —
一个又一个出乎意料的句子从她的嘴唇中说出,我渐渐陷入了一种迷惑的纠结之中; —

and wondered what unseen spirit had been sitting for weeks by my heart watching its workings and taking record of every pulse.
并想知道是什么看不见的精神在我的心旁守望着,观察着每一次搏动。

“Eagerness of a listener!” repeated she: “yes; —
“倾听者的渴望!”她再次重复:“是的; —

Mr. Rochester has sat by the hour, his ear inclined to the fascinating lips that took such delight in their task of communicating; —
罗切斯特先生可以坐上几个小时,耳朵倾听着这些迷人的嘴唇所带来的乐趣,他对此如此热衷,表现得如此感激; —

and Mr. Rochester was so willing to receive and looked so grateful for the pastime given him; —
你有注意到这一点吗?” —

you have noticed this?”
“The unseen spirit” which the narrator refers to is the speaker herself.

“Grateful! I cannot remember detecting gratitude in his face.”
“我感激!我无法回忆起他的脸上有过感激的表情。”

“Detecting! You have analysed, then. And what did you detect, if not gratitude?”
“感激!你已经分析过了。那么你检测到了什么,不是感激吗?”

I said nothing.
我没有说话。

“You have seen love: have you not?—and, looking forward, you have seen him married, and beheld his bride happy?”
“你看到了爱:不是吗?——向前看的时候,你看到他结婚了,看到他的新娘幸福吗?”

“Humph! Not exactly. Your witch’s skill is rather at fault sometimes.”
“哼!不完全是。你的巫术技能有时候有点不准确。”

“What the devil have you seen, then?”
“那你看到了什么鬼东西?”

“Never mind: I came here to inquire, not to confess. —
“不要紧:我来这里是为了询问,而不是忏悔。” —

Is it known that Mr. Rochester is to be married?”
“大家都知道罗切斯特先生要结婚了吗?”

“Yes; and to the beautiful Miss Ingram.”
“是的;和美丽的英格拉姆小姐。”

“Shortly?”
“是不是很快就要结婚了?”

“Appearances would warrant that conclusion: —
“看上去是的。” —

and, no doubt (though, with an audacity that wants chastising out of you, you seem to question it), they will be a superlatively happy pair. —
“毫无疑问(虽然你有种厚颜无耻的态度要受到惩罚,你似乎对此表示怀疑),他们将成为一对非常幸福的夫妻。” —

He must love such a handsome, noble, witty, accomplished lady; —
“他一定喜欢这样一位漂亮、高贵、聪明、才华横溢的女士;” —

and probably she loves him, or, if not his person, at least his purse. —
“而且很可能她也爱他,或者至少爱他的钱。” —

I know she considers the Rochester estate eligible to the last degree; though (God pardon me! —
我知道她认为罗切斯特庄园在可接受的范围内;尽管(上帝宽恕我!) —

) I told her something on that point about an hour ago which made her look wondrous grave: —
我大约一个小时前告诉她有关这一点的一些事情,让她看起来非常严肃: —

the corners of her mouth fell half an inch. I would advise her blackaviced suitor to look out: —
她的嘴角下垂了大约半英寸。我建议她那个黑面孔的追求者小心: —

if another comes, with a longer or clearer rent-roll,—he’s dished—”
如果另一个人出现,有着更长或更明确的租金流水账,他就完蛋了—”

“But, mother, I did not come to hear Mr. Rochester’s fortune: —
“但是,妈妈,我不是来听罗切斯特先生的财富的: —

I came to hear my own; and you have told me nothing of it.”
我是来听我自己的,而你一点也没告诉我。”

“Your fortune is yet doubtful: when I examined your face, one trait contradicted another. —
“你的财富还不确定:当我观察你的脸时,一种特质与另一种相矛盾。 —

Chance has meted you a measure of happiness: that I know. —
机会给了你一些幸福:我知道这一点。 —

I knew it before I came here this evening. She has laid it carefully on one side for you. —
在今晚我来之前我就知道了。她小心地为你安排好了。 —

I saw her do it. It depends on yourself to stretch out your hand, and take it up: —
我看见她这么做了。取决于你自己是否伸手去拿: —

but whether you will do so, is the problem I study. Kneel again on the rug.”
但你是否会这么做,这是我考虑的问题。再次跪在地毯上。”

“Don’t keep me long; the fire scorches me.”
“不要让我等太久;火把我烧伤。”

She did not stoop towards me, but only gazed, leaning back in her chair
她没有弯腰向我靠近,只是斜靠在椅子上凝视着。

I knelt. She did not stoop towards me, but only gazed, leaning back in her chair. —
我跪下。她没有弯腰向我靠近,只是斜靠在椅子上凝视着。 —

She began muttering,—
她开始喃喃自语,

“The flame flickers in the eye; the eye shines like dew; it looks soft and full of feeling; —
“眼睛里闪烁着火花;眼睛闪烁如露水;它看起来柔软而富有感情; —

it smiles at my jargon: it is susceptible; impression follows impression through its clear sphere; —
它对我胡言乱语微笑;它容易受到影响;一个印象接着一个印象通过它清澈的球体传达; —

where it ceases to smile, it is sad; an unconscious lassitude weighs on the lid: —
当它停止微笑时,它是悲伤的;一种无意识的疲倦压在眼皮上; —

that signifies melancholy resulting from loneliness. It turns from me; —
那意味着孤独带来的忧郁。它背对我; —

it will not suffer further scrutiny; it seems to deny, by a mocking glance, the truth of the discoveries I have already made,—to disown the charge both of sensibility and chagrin: —
它不肯再受检视;它似乎以嘲弄的眼神否认我已经做出的发现的真相,否认对感性和懊恼的谴责: —

its pride and reserve only confirm me in my opinion. —
它的自豪和保留只能让我坚定我的观点。 —

The eye is favourable.
眼睛很善意。

“As to the mouth, it delights at times in laughter; —
“至于嘴巴,它有时欣喜地笑着; —

it is disposed to impart all that the brain conceives; —
它愿意传达大脑构思的一切; —

though I daresay it would be silent on much the heart experiences. —
虽然我敢说它会对心灵的许多经历保持沉默。 —

Mobile and flexible, it was never intended to be compressed in the eternal silence of solitude: —
手机和灵活,它从来没有意图在永恒的寂静中被压缩: —

it is a mouth which should speak much and smile often, and have human affection for its interlocutor. —
它是一个应该多说话、经常微笑,并对说话者有人性的嘴。 —

That feature too is propitious.
这个特点也是有利的。

“I see no enemy to a fortunate issue but in the brow; —
“我看不到任何不幸结果的敌人,除了在眉头上; —

and that brow professes to say,—‘I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. —
而那眉头似乎在说,‘如果自尊和环境需要我这样做,我可以独自生活。 —

I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give. —
我不需要出卖我的灵魂去购买幸福。我有一个与生俱来的内在宝藏,如果所有外部的欢乐被扣留或只以我支付不起的代价提供,它可以让我活着。 —

’ The forehead declares, ‘Reason sits firm and holds the reins, and she will not let the feelings burst away and hurry her to wild chasms. —
额头宣告,“理智坐得稳稳的,握紧缰绳,她不会让感情爆发,冲向深渊。 —

The passions may rage furiously, like true heathens, as they are; —
激情可以狂暴地肆虐,像真正的异教徒一样; —

and the desires may imagine all sorts of vain things: —
欲望可以想象各种虚幻的事情: —

but judgment shall still have the last word in every argument, and the casting vote in every decision. —
但是判断仍将在每个争论中拥有最后的话语,而在每个决策中拥有决定性的投票权。 —

Strong wind, earthquake-shock, and fire may pass by: —
强烈的风、地震的冲击和火灾可能会经过。 —

but I shall follow the guiding of that still small voice which interprets the dictates of conscience.’
但我将遵循那个静止温和的声音,它解释了良心的指导。

“Well said, forehead; your declaration shall be respected. —
“说得好,前额;你的宣言将受到尊重。 —

I have formed my plans—right plans I deem them—and in them I have attended to the claims of conscience, the counsels of reason. —
我已经制定了我的计划-我认为这些是正确的计划,并且在其中我已经关注了良心的要求、理性的忠告。 —

I know how soon youth would fade and bloom perish, if, in the cup of bliss offered, but one dreg of shame, or one flavour of remorse were detected; —
我知道如果在提供的幸福之杯中发现一滴耻辱或一丝悔恨的话,青春会很快消失,花朵会凋谢; —

and I do not want sacrifice, sorrow, dissolution—such is not my taste. —
而我不想有牺牲、悲伤、毁灭-这不是我的口味。 —

I wish to foster, not to blight—to earn gratitude, not to wring tears of blood—no, nor of brine: my harvest must be in smiles, in endearments, in sweet—That will do. —
我希望培养,而不是扼杀-赢得感激,而不是挤出鲜血的眼泪-不,也不是盐水:我的收获必须是微笑,亲爱的-就这样吧。 —

I think I rave in a kind of exquisite delirium. —
我觉得自己在一种奇妙的狂热中胡言乱语。 —

I should wish now to protract this moment ad infinitum; but I dare not. —
我现在希望把这一刻拉长到无穷尽;但我不敢。 —

So far I have governed myself thoroughly. I have acted as I inwardly swore I would act; —
到目前为止,我完全控制自己。我已经按照我内心宣誓要这样做的方式行事; —

but further might try me beyond my strength. Rise, Miss Eyre: —
但进一步的挑战可能超出我的力量。起来,爱尔小姐: —

leave me; ‘the play is played out.’”
离开我吧,“剧已落幕。”

Where was I? Did I wake or sleep? Had I been dreaming? Did I dream still? —
我在哪里?我是醒了还是睡着了?我在做梦吗?我还在做梦吗? —

The old woman’s voice had changed: her accent, her gesture, and all were familiar to me as my own face in a glass—as the speech of my own tongue. —
老妇人的声音变了:她的口音,她的姿势,一切都和我自己的面目一样熟悉,就像我自己的舌头说的话一样。 —

I got up, but did not go. I looked; I stirred the fire, and I looked again: —
我站了起来,但没有离开。我看着火,然后又看了一次: —

but she drew her bonnet and her bandage closer about her face, and again beckoned me to depart. —
但她把帽子和绷带拉得更紧,再一次招手示意我离开。 —

The flame illuminated her hand stretched out: —
火光照亮了她伸出的手: —

roused now, and on the alert for discoveries, I at once noticed that hand. —
我现在觉醒了,并且警觉地寻找着发现,我立即注意到了那只手。 —

It was no more the withered limb of eld than my own; —
它不再是年老时干枯的手臂,就像我的手臂一样; —

it was a rounded supple member, with smooth fingers, symmetrically turned; —
它是一个圆润、柔软的肢体,上面有光滑的手指,对称地弯曲; —

a broad ring flashed on the little finger, and stooping forward, I looked at it, and saw a gem I had seen a hundred times before. —
一枚宽大的戒指闪耀在小指上,我前倾着身子看着它,看到了一颗我以前看过一百次的宝石。 —

Again I looked at the face; which was no longer turned from me—on the contrary, the bonnet was doffed, the bandage displaced, the head advanced.
再次我看着那张脸,它不再背向我了—相反,帽子被摘掉了,绷带松了,头向前伸出来。

“Well, Jane, do you know me?” asked the familiar voice.
“嗯,简,你认识我吗?”熟悉的声音问道。

“Only take off the red cloak, sir, and then—”
“只要把红披风脱掉,先生,然后…”

“But the string is in a knot—help me.”
“但是绳子打了个结—帮我一下。”

“Break it, sir.”
“打断它,先生。”

“There, then—‘Off, ye lendings!’” And Mr. Rochester stepped out of his disguise.
“好了,就这样—‘走开,你们借来的东西!’”罗切斯特先生从伪装中迈出了一步。

“Now, sir, what a strange idea!”
“现在,先生,你有什么奇怪的主意?”

“But well carried out, eh? Don’t you think so?”
“但是做得不错,对吧?你这么想是吧?”

“With the ladies you must have managed well.”
“和那些女士一起,你一定处理得很好。”

“But not with you?”
“但是对我来说呢?”

“You did not act the character of a gipsy with me.”
“你对我没有扮演吉普赛人的角色。”

“What character did I act? My own?”
“那我扮演了什么角色?我自己?”

“No; some unaccountable one. In short, I believe you have been trying to draw me out—or in; —
“不,是某种难以解释的角色。简而言之,我相信你一直试图引导我,让我背离—或者深入。” —

you have been talking nonsense to make me talk nonsense. —
“你一直在胡说八道,让我也跟着胡说八道。” —

It is scarcely fair, sir.”
“这不公平,先生。”

“Do you forgive me, Jane?”
“你原谅我了吗,简?”

“I cannot tell till I have thought it all over. —
“我得想一想才能说。 —

If, on reflection, I find I have fallen into no great absurdity, I shall try to forgive you; —
如果经过思考后,我发现自己没有犯下太过荒谬的错误,我会试着原谅你; —

but it was not right.”
但这并不对。

“Oh, you have been very correct—very careful, very sensible.”
“哦,你一直很正确-很谨慎,很明智。”

I reflected, and thought, on the whole, I had. It was a comfort; —
我思考了一下,觉得整体来说我是对的。这让我感到安慰; —

but, indeed, I had been on my guard almost from the beginning of the interview. —
但实际上,从面试一开始我就一直保持警惕。 —

Something of masquerade I suspected. I knew gipsies and fortune-tellers did not express themselves as this seeming old woman had expressed herself; —
我怀疑这场化装舞会中有些不对劲。我知道吉普赛人和算命师不会像这个看似年迈的女人那样表达自己; —

besides I had noted her feigned voice, her anxiety to conceal her features. —
此外,我注意到了她假装的声音,她急于掩盖自己的容貌。 —

But my mind had been running on Grace Poole—that living enigma, that mystery of mysteries, as I considered her. —
但我的思绪一直在想着格雷斯·普尔——那个活生生的谜团,我认为她是个神秘的谜团。 —

I had never thought of Mr. Rochester.
我从未想过罗切斯特先生。

“Well,” said he, “what are you musing about? What does that grave smile signify?”
“那么,”他说,“你在沉思什么?这个严肃的微笑代表什么?”

“Wonder and self-congratulation, sir. I have your permission to retire now, I suppose?”
“惊讶和自我庆贺,先生。我可以现在退下了,对吗?”

“No; stay a moment; and tell me what the people in the drawing-room yonder are doing.”
“不,稍等片刻,告诉我那边客厅里的人们在忙些什么。”

“Discussing the gipsy, I daresay.”
“他们可能在讨论吉普赛人。”

“Sit down!—Let me hear what they said about me.”
“坐下!告诉我他们说我什么。”

“I had better not stay long, sir; it must be near eleven o’clock. —
“我最好不要待太久,先生;现在应该接近十一点了。” —

Oh, are you aware, Mr. Rochester, that a stranger has arrived here since you left this morning?”
“噢,你知道吗,罗切斯特先生,自从你今天早上离开以后,有个陌生人到这里来了。”

“A stranger!—no; who can it be? I expected no one; is he gone?”
“陌生人!不可能;是谁呢?我没想到会有人来;他走了吗?”

“No; he said he had known you long, and that he could take the liberty of installing himself here till you returned.”
“不; 他说他认识你很久了,他可以放肆地在这里安顿下来直到你回来。”

“The devil he did! Did he give his name?”
“他他妈的说了什么!他留下他的名字了吗?”

“His name is Mason, sir; and he comes from the West Indies; —
“他的名字叫梅森,先生;他来自西印度群岛; —

from Spanish Town, in Jamaica, I think.”
来自牙买加的西班牙镇,我想。”

Mr. Rochester was standing near me; he had taken my hand, as if to lead me to a chair. —
罗切斯特先生站在我旁边;他拉住了我的手,好像要带我去坐椅子。 —

As I spoke he gave my wrist a convulsive grip; —
我说话时,他紧紧地抓住了我的手腕; —

the smile on his lips froze: apparently a spasm caught his breath.
嘴角的微笑僵住了;显然,一股痉挛掐住了他的呼吸。

“Mason!—the West Indies!” he said, in the tone one might fancy a speaking automaton to enounce its single words; —
“梅森!——西印度群岛!”他用一种机械式的语调说道; —

“Mason!—the West Indies!” he reiterated; —
“梅森!——西印度群岛!”他重复道; —

and he went over the syllables three times, growing, in the intervals of speaking, whiter than ashes: —
并且他重复这几个音节三次,在说话的间隙里,他的脸色比灰烬还要苍白: —

he hardly seemed to know what he was doing.
他似乎几乎不知道自己在做什么。

“Do you feel ill, sir?” I inquired.
“您感觉不舒服吗,先生?”我询问道。

“Jane, I’ve got a blow; I’ve got a blow, Jane!” He staggered.
“简,我挨了一拳,我挨了一拳,简!”他踉跄了一下。

“Oh, lean on me, sir.”
“哦,请靠在我身上,先生。”

“Jane, you offered me your shoulder once before; let me have it now.”
“简,你曾经给过我你的肩膀;现在请再给我一次。”

“Yes, sir, yes; and my arm.”
“是的,先生,是的;还有我的胳膊。”

He sat down, and made me sit beside him. Holding my hand in both his own, he chafed it; —
他坐下来,让我坐在他旁边。他用双手握住我的手,揉搓着; —

gazing on me, at the same time, with the most troubled and dreary look.
同时,他用最痛苦和凄凉的眼神注视着我。

“My little friend!” said he, “I wish I were in a quiet island with only you; —
“我的小朋友!”他说,“我希望我能和你在一个宁静的岛上; —

and trouble, and danger, and hideous recollections removed from me.”
远离烦恼、危险和可怕的回忆。”

“Can I help you, sir?—I’d give my life to serve you.”
“我能帮到你吗,先生?我愿意为您付出生命。”

“Jane, if aid is wanted, I’ll seek it at your hands; I promise you that.”
“简,如果需要帮助,我会向你求助;我向你保证。”

“Thank you, sir. Tell me what to do,—I’ll try, at least, to do it.”
“谢谢您,先生。告诉我该怎么做——我至少会尝试去做。”

“Fetch me now, Jane, a glass of wine from the dining-room: —
“现在给我端一杯酒,简,从餐厅里拿来: —

they will be at supper there; and tell me if Mason is with them, and what he is doing.”
他们正在那里吃晚餐;告诉我梅森是否也在他们那里,他在干什么。”

I went. I found all the party in the dining-room at supper, as Mr. Rochester had said; —
我去了。我发现整个团队都在餐厅吃晚餐,就像罗切斯特先生说的那样; —

they were not seated at table,—the supper was arranged on the sideboard; —
他们没有坐在餐桌旁,晚餐摆在餐边柜上; —

each had taken what he chose, and they stood about here and there in groups, their plates and glasses in their hands. —
每个人都随意取了自己想要的食物和饮料,他们分散站在这里那里,手里拿着盘子和杯子。 —

Every one seemed in high glee; laughter and conversation were general and animated. —
每个人都似乎非常高兴,笑声和谈话满满的。 —

Mr. Mason stood near the fire, talking to Colonel and Mrs. Dent, and appeared as merry as any of them. —
梅森先生站在火炉旁边,和丹特上校和丹特夫人聊天,看起来和他们一样开心。 —

I filled a wine-glass (I saw Miss Ingram watch me frowningly as I did so: —
我倒满了一杯酒(我看到英格拉姆小姐皱着眉头看着我,她可能认为我在越权),然后回到图书馆。 —

she thought I was taking a liberty, I daresay), and I returned to the library.
罗切斯特先生脸色极度苍白已经消失了,他又变得坚定而严厉。

Mr. Rochester’s extreme pallor had disappeared, and he looked once more firm and stern. —
他从我手中接过酒杯。 —

He took the glass from my hand.
“为了你的健康,服务的灵魂!”他说。

“Here is to your health, ministrant spirit!” he said. —
我看到梅森先生的脸色变得苍白,他咬着嘴唇,然后突然大声咒骂起来。 —

He swallowed the contents and returned it to me. —
他吞下了里面的东西并把它还给了我。 —

“What are they doing, Jane?”
“他们在干什么,简?”

“Laughing and talking, sir.”
“笑和说话,先生。”

“They don’t look grave and mysterious, as if they had heard something strange?”
“他们看起来不像是听到了什么奇怪的事情,一脸严肃和神秘的样子?”

“Not at all: they are full of jests and gaiety.”
“一点也不,他们满脸笑容和快乐。”

“And Mason?”
“还有梅森呢?”

“He was laughing too.”
“他也在笑。”

“If all these people came in a body and spat at me, what would you do, Jane?”
“如果这些人一起来对我吐唾沫,你会怎么办,简?”

“Turn them out of the room, sir, if I could.”
“如果我能的话,会把他们赶出房间,先生。”

He half smiled. “But if I were to go to them, and they only looked at me coldly, and whispered sneeringly amongst each other, and then dropped off and left me one by one, what then? —
他微微一笑。“但是如果我去找他们,他们只是冷冷地看着我,然后在彼此之间轻蔑地窃窃私语,然后一个接一个地离开,那又该怎么办呢?” —

Would you go with them?”
“你会跟他们走吗?”

“I rather think not, sir: I should have more pleasure in staying with you.”
“我想不会,先生:我会更愿意和您呆在一起。”

“To comfort me?”
“来安慰我吗?”

“Yes, sir, to comfort you, as well as I could.”
“是的,先生,尽我所能来安慰您。”

“And if they laid you under a ban for adhering to me?”
“如果他们因为支持我而对你施压呢?”

“I, probably, should know nothing about their ban; —
“我,可能,对他们的禁令一无所知; —

and if I did, I should care nothing about it.”
“即使我知道,我也无所谓。”

“Then, you could dare censure for my sake?”
“那你能为了我而敢于批评吗?”

“I could dare it for the sake of any friend who deserved my adherence; as you, I am sure, do.”
“我能为任何值得我支持的朋友敢言;就像你一样,我肯定会。”

“Go back now into the room; step quietly up to Mason, and whisper in his ear that Mr. Rochester is come and wishes to see him: —
“现在回到房间去;悄悄地走到梅森身边,在他耳边轻声说罗切斯特先生来了,想见他一下: —

show him in here and then leave me.”
“让他进来,然后离开我。”

“Yes, sir.”
“好的,先生。”

I did his behest. The company all stared at me as I passed straight among them. —
我遵从了他的吩咐。当我穿过人群时,所有的人都盯着我看。 —

I sought Mr. Mason, delivered the message, and preceded him from the room: —
我找到了梅森,传达了消息,然后在他前面离开了房间: —

I ushered him into the library, and then I went upstairs.
我带他进了图书馆,然后我上楼去了。

At a late hour, after I had been in bed some time, I heard the visitors repair to their chambers: —
在很晚的时候,我已经躺在床上一段时间后,我听到访客们走向他们的房间: —

I distinguished Mr. Rochester’s voice, and heard him say, “This way, Mason; —
我听到了罗切斯特先生的声音,他说:“这边走,梅森; —

this is your room.”
这是你的房间。”

He spoke cheerfully: the gay tones set my heart at ease. I was soon asleep.
他说得很开心:愉快的声音使我的心安宁。我很快就睡着了。