The recollection of about three days and nights succeeding this is very dim in my mind. —
在此之后的三天和三个夜晚,我对此的回忆非常模糊。 —

I can recall some sensations felt in that interval; —
我能回忆起那段时间里的一些感觉; —

but few thoughts framed, and no actions performed. —
但是几乎没有构思出任何想法,也没有进行任何行动。 —

I knew I was in a small room and in a narrow bed. To that bed I seemed to have grown; —
我知道我在一个小房间里,躺在一张狭窄的床上。我仿佛与这张床融为一体; —

I lay on it motionless as a stone; and to have torn me from it would have been almost to kill me. —
我像石头一样毫不动弹地躺在上面,要将我从床上移开几乎就是要杀死我。 —

I took no note of the lapse of time—of the change from morning to noon, from noon to evening. —
我没有注意到时间的流逝——从早晨到正午,从正午到傍晚。 —

I observed when any one entered or left the apartment: I could even tell who they were; —
我注意到任何一个人进入或离开房间:我甚至能知道他们是谁; —

I could understand what was said when the speaker stood near to me; but I could not answer; —
靠近我的说话人我能听懂他们说的话,但我无法回答; —

to open my lips or move my limbs was equally impossible. —
张开嘴唇或移动肢体对我来说同样不可能。 —

Hannah, the servant, was my most frequent visitor. Her coming disturbed me. —
汉娜,这个仆人,是我最常见的访客。她的到来使我感到不安。 —

I had a feeling that she wished me away: that she did not understand me or my circumstances; —
我有一种感觉,她希望我离开:她不理解我或我的处境。 —

that she was prejudiced against me. Diana and Mary appeared in the chamber once or twice a day. —
我感觉她对我有偏见。戴安娜和玛丽每天出现在房间里一次或两次。 —

They would whisper sentences of this sort at my bedside—
他们会在我床前低语这样的句子——

“It is very well we took her in.”
“我们收留她真是明智。”

“Yes; she would certainly have been found dead at the door in the morning had she been left out all night. —
“是的;如果她被留在外面整夜,早上肯定会被发现死在门口。” —

I wonder what she has gone through?”
我想知道她经历了什么?

“Strange hardships, I imagine—poor, emaciated, pallid wanderer!”
“她经历了奇怪的艰辛,我想——可怜的、消瘦的、苍白的流浪者!”

“She is not an uneducated person, I should think, by her manner of speaking; —
“她应该不是个没有受过教育的人,从她的说话方式来看; —

her accent was quite pure; and the clothes she took off, though splashed and wet, were little worn and fine.”
她的口音很纯正;而她脱下的衣服,虽然沾满泥浆和湿气,但是质地很好,几乎没怎么穿过。”

“She has a peculiar face; fleshless and haggard as it is, I rather like it; —
“她的长相很特别;尽管她的脸无肉而憔悴,我还是蛮喜欢的; —

and when in good health and animated, I can fancy her physiognomy would be agreeable.”
当她身体好而充满活力时,我能想象她的相貌会很悦目的。”

Never once in their dialogues did I hear a syllable of regret at the hospitality they had extended to me, or of suspicion of, or aversion to, myself. I was comforted.
在他们的对话中,我从未听到任何后悔他们对我的好客,或者对我本人的怀疑或厌恶的字眼。我感到欣慰。

Mr. St. John came but once: he looked at me, and said my state of lethargy was the result of reaction from excessive and protracted fatigue. —
圣约翰先生只来过一次:他看着我,说我无精打采的状态是过度疲劳和长时间工作的反应所致。 —

He pronounced it needless to send for a doctor: —
他认为无需找医生:自然会最好地管理好,让它自己发展。 —

nature, he was sure, would manage best, left to herself. —
他说我的每个神经都在某种程度上过度紧张,整个系统必须休眠一段时间。 —

He said every nerve had been overstrained in some way, and the whole system must sleep torpid a while. —
没有疾病。他认为一旦开始恢复,恢复速度会相当快。 —

There was no disease. He imagined my recovery would be rapid enough when once commenced. —
他用简短的语言以平静低沉的声音表达了这些观点; —

These opinions he delivered in a few words, in a quiet, low voice; —
并在停顿后补充道,用很少展开性评论的语气说:“相貌相当不寻常; —

and added, after a pause, in the tone of a man little accustomed to expansive comment, “Rather an unusual physiognomy; —
当然,并不表示粗俗或堕落。” —

certainly, not indicative of vulgarity or degradation.”
“恰恰相反,”黛安娜回答道。“说实话,圣约翰,我的心对可怜的小家伙产生了些温暖感。”

“Far otherwise,” responded Diana. “To speak truth, St. John, my heart rather warms to the poor little soul. —
“那很难说,”回答道。 —

I wish we may be able to benefit her permanently.”
我希望我们能够永久地帮助她。”

“That is hardly likely,” was the reply. —
“那几乎不太可能。”是回答。 —

“You will find she is some young lady who has had a misunderstanding with her friends, and has probably injudiciously left them. —
“你会发现她是一个与朋友们产生了误解,可能不明智地离开了他们的年轻女士。 —

We may, perhaps, succeed in restoring her to them, if she is not obstinate: —
如果她不固执的话,我们或许可以成功地把她送回他们身边。 —

but I trace lines of force in her face which make me sceptical of her tractability. —
但是我在她的脸上看到了一些不服从的力量线,这让我对她的顺从性持怀疑态度。 —

” He stood considering me some minutes; —
他站着思考了一些分钟; —

then added, “She looks sensible, but not at all handsome.”
然后又补充道,“她看起来很明智,但一点也不漂亮。”

“She is so ill, St. John.”
“她病得很重,圣约翰。”

“Ill or well, she would always be plain. —
“无论她是病得还是好的,她总是很平凡。 —

The grace and harmony of beauty are quite wanting in those features.”
她的面容中完全没有美丽的优雅和和谐。”

On the third day I was better; on the fourth, I could speak, move, rise in bed, and turn. —
第三天我感觉好些了;第四天,我能说话、动弹、坐起来并转身。 —

Hannah had brought me some gruel and dry toast, about, as I supposed, the dinner-hour. —
汉娜给我送来了一些粥和干面包,大约是正午时分。 —

I had eaten with relish: the food was good—void of the feverish flavour which had hitherto poisoned what I had swallowed. —
我有胃口地吃了:食物很好——没有之前让我咽下去的有热情的味道。 —

When she left me, I felt comparatively strong and revived: —
当她离开后,我感觉相对强壮和恢复了起来。” —

ere long satiety of repose and desire for action stirred me. I wished to rise; —
不久之后,饱腹的宁静和对行动的渴望使我焦躁不安。我想起身; —

but what could I put on? Only my damp and bemired apparel; —
但是我能穿什么呢?只有我的湿衣服和弄脏的衣物; —

in which I had slept on the ground and fallen in the marsh. —
我曾在地上睡觉,还在沼泽中摔倒过。 —

I felt ashamed to appear before my benefactors so clad. I was spared the humiliation.
站在恩人们面前我感到羞愧,但幸免于耻辱;

On a chair by the bedside were all my own things, clean and dry. —
床边的椅子上放着我的所有物品,干净而干燥; —

My black silk frock hung against the wall. The traces of the bog were removed from it; —
我的黑丝裙挂在墙上,泥沼的痕迹已经清除; —

the creases left by the wet smoothed out: it was quite decent. —
湿气留下的褶皱平整了,看起来还挺体面; —

My very shoes and stockings were purified and rendered presentable. —
我的鞋子和袜子也被清洗干净,整理得整齐。 —

There were the means of washing in the room, and a comb and brush to smooth my hair. —
房间里有洗漱用品,还有梳子和刷子可以梳理头发; —

After a weary process, and resting every five minutes, I succeeded in dressing myself. —
经过一段劳累的过程,每隔五分钟休息一次,我成功地穿好了衣服。 —

My clothes hung loose on me; for I was much wasted, but I covered deficiencies with a shawl, and once more, clean and respectable looking—no speck of the dirt, no trace of the disorder I so hated, and which seemed so to degrade me, left—I crept down a stone staircase with the aid of the banisters, to a narrow low passage, and found my way presently to the kitchen.
我的衣服在我身上很宽松,因为我很虚弱,但我用披肩遮住了不足之处,再次变得干净整洁 - 没有一丝灰尘,没有一丝我如此厌恶并感觉降低了我身份的痕迹。我依靠楼梯的扶手一步一步慢慢下到一个狭窄低矮的过道,很快找到了厨房。

It was full of the fragrance of new bread and the warmth of a generous fire. Hannah was baking. —
厨房里充满着新鲜面包的香气和温暖的火炉。 汉娜在做面包。 —

Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilised by education: —
众所周知,偏见是最难从心中根除的,而那颗土壤从未经过教育的疏松或施肥: —

they grow there, firm as weeds among stones. Hannah had been cold and stiff, indeed, at the first: —
它们在那里生长,如同石头中的杂草一样坚固。汉娜起初非常冷漠和生硬: —

latterly she had begun to relent a little; —
最近她开始有点放松; —

and when she saw me come in tidy and well-dressed, she even smiled.
当她看到我整洁而穿着体面时,甚至笑了笑。

“What, you have got up!” she said. “You are better, then. —
“噢,你醒了!”她说。“那你应该好一些了。 —

You may sit you down in my chair on the hearthstone, if you will.”
如果你愿意,你可以坐在我旁边的炉石上的椅子上。”

She pointed to the rocking-chair: I took it. —
她指着摇椅说:“这是我拿的。” —

She bustled about, examining me every now and then with the corner of her eye. —
她匆忙忙碌着,时不时用眼角的余光审视着我。 —

Turning to me, as she took some loaves from the oven, she asked bluntly—
她转过身从炉子里取出一些面包时,直截了当地问我:

“Did you ever go a-begging afore you came here?”
“你在来这儿之前曾经乞讨过吗?”

I was indignant for a moment; but remembering that anger was out of the question, and that I had indeed appeared as a beggar to her, I answered quietly, but still not without a certain marked firmness—
刹那间我感到愤怒,但想到生气不合适,而我确实在她面前表现得像个乞讨者,于是我平静地回答了她,但仍带有一定的坚定态度——

“You are mistaken in supposing me a beggar. I am no beggar; —
“你误解我是乞讨者了。我不是乞讨者, —

any more than yourself or your young ladies.”
就像你和你们的年轻女士一样。”

After a pause she said, “I dunnut understand that: —
一段停顿之后,她说:“我不懂那个。” —

you’ve like no house, nor no brass, I guess?”
“你似乎没有房子,也没有钱,是吗?”

“The want of house or brass (by which I suppose you mean money) does not make a beggar in your sense of the word.”
“没有房子或钱(你指的是金钱吧)并不是你所说的乞丐的意思。”

“Are you book-learned?” she inquired presently.
“你读过书吗?”她随即问道。

“Yes, very.”
“是的,读了很多。”

“But you’ve never been to a boarding-school?”
“但你没有上过寄宿学校吗?”

“I was at a boarding-school eight years.”
“我在寄宿学校呆了八年。”

She opened her eyes wide. “Whatever cannot ye keep yourself for, then?”
她瞪大了眼睛,“那你到底为什么不能自立?”

“I have kept myself; and, I trust, shall keep myself again. —
“我一直都照顾自己,我相信我还可以养活自己。” —

What are you going to do with these gooseberries? —
你打算用这些醋栗做什么? —

” I inquired, as she brought out a basket of the fruit.
”我问道,她拿出一篮子水果。

“Mak’ ’em into pies.”
“做成馅饼。”

“Give them to me and I’ll pick them.”
“把它们给我,我来挑。”

“Nay; I dunnut want ye to do nought.”
“不,我不需要你做什么。”

“But I must do something. Let me have them.”
“但是我必须做点什么。让我来吧。”

She consented; and she even brought me a clean towel to spread over my dress, “lest,” as she said, “I should mucky it.”
她同意了;她甚至给我拿来了一条干净的毛巾,打算把它铺在裙子上,“以防我弄脏它”。

“Ye’ve not been used to sarvant’s wark, I see by your hands,” she remarked. —
“从您的手看来,您不太习惯做仆人的工作,”她说。 —

“Happen ye’ve been a dressmaker?”
“也许您以前是做裁缝的?”

“No, you are wrong. And now, never mind what I have been: —
“不,你错了。而且现在别再过问我过去是什么了, —

don’t trouble your head further about me; —
不要再费心了; —

but tell me the name of the house where we are.”
告诉我我们现在住的房子叫什么名字。”

“Some calls it Marsh End, and some calls it Moor House.”
“有人称之为沼泽底,有人称之为荒野庄园。”

“And the gentleman who lives here is called Mr. St. John?”
“住在这里的绅士叫圣约翰先生吗?”

“Nay; he doesn’t live here: he is only staying a while. —
“不,他不住在这里:他只是暂时寄宿。 —

When he is at home, he is in his own parish at Morton.”
他在家的时候是在他自己的堂区莫顿。”

“That village a few miles off?
“就是几英里外的那个村庄吗?”

“Aye.”
“是的。”

“And what is he?”
“那他是个什么人?”

“He is a parson.”
“他是个牧师。”

I remembered the answer of the old housekeeper at the parsonage, when I had asked to see the clergyman. —
我记得在牧师宅邸,那位老管家回答我要见牧师的问题时的回答。 —

“This, then, was his father’s residence?”
“那么,这是他父亲的住所吗?”

“Aye; old Mr. Rivers lived here, and his father, and grandfather, and gurt (great) grandfather afore him.”
“是的,老里弗斯先生住在这里,他父亲、祖父,还有他的高祖父都住在这之前。”

“The name, then, of that gentleman, is Mr. St. John Rivers?”
“那个先生的名字是圣约翰·里弗斯先生吗?”

“Aye; St. John is like his kirstened name.”
“是的,St. John是他的洗礼名。”

“And his sisters are called Diana and Mary Rivers?”
“他的姐妹叫戴安娜和玛丽·里弗斯吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Their father is dead?”
“他们的父亲已经去世了?”

“Dead three weeks sin’ of a stroke.”
“三个星期前死于中风。”

“They have no mother?”
“他们没有母亲吗?”

“The mistress has been dead this mony a year.”
“这个女主人已经去世很多年了。”

“Have you lived with the family long?”
“你和这个家庭住了很久了吗?”

“I’ve lived here thirty year. I nursed them all three.”
“我在这里住了30年。我照顾过他们三个人。”

“That proves you must have been an honest and faithful servant. —
“这证明你一定是一个诚实忠实的仆人。 —

I will say so much for you, though you have had the incivility to call me a beggar.”
我会为你这样说,尽管你说我是乞丐这样不礼貌。”

She again regarded me with a surprised stare. —
她又惊讶地看着我。 —

“I believe,” she said, “I was quite mista’en in my thoughts of you: —
“我相信,”她说,“我对你的想法很错误: —

but there is so mony cheats goes about, you mun forgie me.”
但是有那么多骗子出没,你要原谅我。”

“And though,” I continued, rather severely, “you wished to turn me from the door, on a night when you should not have shut out a dog.”
“虽然,”我严厉地继续说,“你希望把我赶出门,一个晚上本不应该拒绝让狗进来的晚上。”

“Well, it was hard: but what can a body do? I thought more o’ th’ childer nor of mysel: —
“唉,这很难过:但人能怎么办呢?我更关心孩子们而不是自己: —

poor things! They’ve like nobody to tak’ care on ’em but me. —
可怜的孩子们!除了我,没有人照顾他们。 —

I’m like to look sharpish.”
我得保持警惕。”

I maintained a grave silence for some minutes.
我保持着庄重的沉默几分钟。

“You munnut think too hardly of me,” she again remarked.
“你不要对我太过苛责,”她再次说。

“But I do think hardly of you,” I said; —
“但我确实对你苛责,”我说道; —

“and I’ll tell you why—not so much because you refused to give me shelter, or regarded me as an impostor, as because you just now made it a species of reproach that I had no ‘brass’ and no house. —
“我告诉你原因——并不仅仅是因为你拒绝给我庇护,或者把我当做骗子,而是因为刚才你把我没有‘金子’和房子当成了一种指责。 —

Some of the best people that ever lived have been as destitute as I am; —
有些曾经活着的最好的人和我一样贫穷; —

and if you are a Christian, you ought not to consider poverty a crime.”
如果你是一个基督徒,你就不应该把贫困当成一种罪过。”

“No more I ought,” said she: “Mr. St. John tells me so too; —
“我不能再这样想了,”她说,“圣约翰先生也这么告诉我;而且我看到我之前的想法是错误的。 —

and I see I wor wrang—but I’ve clear a different notion on you now to what I had. —
对你我现在有完全不同的看法。 —

You look a raight down dacent little crater.”
你看起来是一个非常朴实而体面的人。”

“That will do—I forgive you now. Shake hands.”
“好吧,我原谅你了。握手吧。”

She put her floury and horny hand into mine; —
她把布满面粉和老茧的手放到我的手里; —

another and heartier smile illumined her rough face, and from that moment we were friends.
她的脸上又露出一个更热情的微笑,从那一刻起我们成了朋友。

Hannah was evidently fond of talking. While I picked the fruit, and she made the paste for the pies, she proceeded to give me sundry details about her deceased master and mistress, and “the childer,” as she called the young people.
汉娜显然喜欢说话。当我摘水果时,她开始向我介绍她已故的主人和主妇以及“孩子们”。

Old Mr. Rivers, she said, was a plain man enough, but a gentleman, and of as ancient a family as could be found. —
她说,老里弗斯先生虽然是个很普通的人,但却是个绅士,而且是一个非常古老的家族。 —

Marsh End had belonged to the Rivers ever since it was a house: —
从那时起,马什恩德一直属于里弗斯家族。 —

and it was, she affirmed, “aboon two hundred year old—for all it looked but a small, humble place, naught to compare wi’ Mr. Oliver’s grand hall down i’ Morton Vale. But she could remember Bill Oliver’s father a journeyman needlemaker; —
她肯定地说,这房子有着200多年的历史——虽然它看起来只是一个小小的、朴实的地方,无法与莫顿谷的奥利弗先生的豪华大厅相比。不过,她还能记得比尔·奥利弗的父亲是一位绣花针制造工; —

and th’ Rivers wor gentry i’ th’ owd days o’ th’ Henrys, as onybody might see by looking into th’ registers i’ Morton Church vestry. —
那时,里弗斯家族在亨利斯的旧日子里是绅士阶层,任何人只要看看莫顿教堂的教区记录就能明白。 —

” Still, she allowed, “the owd maister was like other folk—naught mich out o’ t’ common way: —
她还说,“那个老主人跟其他人一样——没什么特别之处:疯狂地喜欢打猎、耕作之类的。”而夫人则不同。 —

stark mad o’ shooting, and farming, and sich like.” The mistress was different. —
她是个狂热的读书人,学问渊博;而“孩子们”也继承了她的特点。 —

She was a great reader, and studied a deal; and the “bairns” had taken after her. —
这个地方没有像他们这样的人,过去也从未有过; —

There was nothing like them in these parts, nor ever had been; —
他们三个从会说话的时候就开始喜欢学习; —

they had liked learning, all three, almost from the time they could speak; —
一直都是“别具一格的孩子们”。 —

and they had always been “of a mak’ of their own. —
大约长大后,圣约翰先生会去读大学,成为一名牧师; —

” Mr. St. John, when he grew up, would go to college and be a parson; —
定居在这里的人称他们为“史特约翰一家”,因为他们的价值观与众不同。 —

and the girls, as soon as they left school, would seek places as governesses: —
而女孩们一放学就会寻找作为家庭教师的工作: —

for they had told her their father had some years ago lost a great deal of money by a man he had trusted turning bankrupt; —
因为她们告诉她,几年前她们的父亲曾因一个他所信任的人破产而失去了很多钱; —

and as he was now not rich enough to give them fortunes, they must provide for themselves. —
而且因为他现在不够富有来给她们留下遗产,所以她们必须自己谋生。 —

They had lived very little at home for a long while, and were only come now to stay a few weeks on account of their father’s death; —
她们已经很长时间没有在家待过,只是这次为了父亲的死而回来待上几个星期; —

but they did so like Marsh End and Morton, and all these moors and hills about. —
但她们非常喜欢马什恩德和莫顿,还有周围的这些荒原和山丘。 —

They had been in London, and many other grand towns; —
她们曾去过伦敦和许多其他盛大的城镇; —

but they always said there was no place like home; —
但她们总是说没有任何地方比得上家; —

and then they were so agreeable with each other—never fell out nor “threaped. —
而且她们彼此之间相处得非常愉快,从不吵架或争吵。 —

” She did not know where there was such a family for being united.
她不知道还有哪个家庭能像他们一样团结。

Having finished my task of gooseberry picking, I asked where the two ladies and their brother were now.
集完醋栗之后,我问两位女士和她们的兄弟现在在哪里。

“Gone over to Morton for a walk; but they would be back in half-an-hour to tea.”
“他们去莫顿散步了,但他们半个小时后就会回来喝茶。”

They returned within the time Hannah had allotted them: they entered by the kitchen door. —
他们在汉娜给他们安排的时间内返回:他们从厨房门进来。 —

Mr. St. John, when he saw me, merely bowed and passed through; the two ladies stopped: —
当圣约翰先生看到我时,只是点头示意然后走过去了;两位女士停下来。 —

Mary, in a few words, kindly and calmly expressed the pleasure she felt in seeing me well enough to be able to come down; —
玛丽用亲切而平静的语言,简短地表达了她见到我能够下来感到的高兴。 —

Diana took my hand: she shook her head at me.
黛安娜拉起了我的手;她对我摇了摇头。

“You should have waited for my leave to descend,” she said. —
“你应该等我的允许再下来,”她说。 —

“You still look very pale—and so thin! —
“你看起来还很苍白,很瘦! —

Poor child!—poor girl!”
可怜的孩子!可怜的女孩!”

Diana had a voice toned, to my ear, like the cooing of a dove. —
黛安娜有着一种对我来说像鸽子般的声音。 —

She possessed eyes whose gaze I delighted to encounter. Her whole face seemed to me full of charm. —
她拥有一双注视令我喜欢的眼睛。她整张脸对我来说都充满了魅力。 —

Mary’s countenance was equally intelligent—her features equally pretty; —
玛丽的神情同样聪明,她的相貌同样漂亮; —

but her expression was more reserved, and her manners, though gentle, more distant. —
但她的表情更加保守,她的举止虽然温和,但更加疏远。 —

Diana looked and spoke with a certain authority: she had a will, evidently. —
黛安娜看起来并说话时有一种明显的权威:她显然有着自己的意愿。 —

It was my nature to feel pleasure in yielding to an authority supported like hers, and to bend, where my conscience and self-respect permitted, to an active will.
我天性中就喜欢顺从像她这样的权威,凡是我自己的良心和自尊所允许的,我都愿意屈从于积极的意愿。

“And what business have you here?” she continued. “It is not your place. —
“你在这里有什么事?”她继续说,“这不是你的位置。 —

Mary and I sit in the kitchen sometimes, because at home we like to be free, even to license—but you are a visitor, and must go into the parlour.”
“玛丽和我有时候坐在厨房里,因为在家我们喜欢自由,甚至放纵一些,但你是来访者,必须去客厅。”

“I am very well here.”
“我在这里很好。”

“Not at all, with Hannah bustling about and covering you with flour.”
“不,你被汉娜忙得团团转,沾满了面粉。”

“Besides, the fire is too hot for you,” interposed Mary.
“而且,火太热了,不适合你。”玛丽插话说。

“To be sure,” added her sister. “Come, you must be obedient. —
“当然”,她妹妹补充道,“来吧,你必须听话。” —

” And still holding my hand she made me rise, and led me into the inner room.
她仍然拉着我的手让我站起来,领我走进内屋。

“Sit there,” she said, placing me on the sofa, “while we take our things off and get the tea ready; —
“坐在那里”,她说着,把我放到沙发上,“我们脱下衣服,准备茶;这也是我们小山间家里的特权之一——在我们情愿的时候,或者汉娜正在烘焙、酿制、洗涤或熨烫的时候,自己做饭。” —

it is another privilege we exercise in our little moorland home—to prepare our own meals when we are so inclined, or when Hannah is baking, brewing, washing, or ironing.”
“Sit there, hoo!” she said, placing me on the sofa, ”while we tak oor things aff an get the tea ready; it’s another privilege we exercise in oor little moorland hame—to prepare oor ain meals when we’re sic inclind, or when Hannah’s baking, brewing, washing, or ironin’.“

She closed the door, leaving me solus with Mr. St. John, who sat opposite, a book or newspaper in his hand. —
关上了门,让我一个人与圣约翰先生留在了这里,他坐在对面,手里拿着一本书或者报纸。 —

I examined, first, the parlour, and then its occupant.
先检查了客厅,然后再看里面的人。

The parlour was rather a small room, very plainly furnished, yet comfortable, because clean and neat. The old-fashioned chairs were very bright, and the walnut-wood table was like a looking-glass. —
厅是一个相当小的房间,摆设非常简朴,但因为干净整洁所以还是很舒适的。旧式的椅子非常明亮,胡桃木的桌子就像一面镜子。 —

A few strange, antique portraits of the men and women of other days decorated the stained walls; —
挂在斑驳墙上的几幅怪异的古人肖像画装点着房间。 —

a cupboard with glass doors contained some books and an ancient set of china. —
个有玻璃门的柜子里摆放着一些书和一套古老的瓷器。 —

There was no superfluous ornament in the room—not one modern piece of furniture, save a brace of workboxes and a lady’s desk in rosewood, which stood on a side-table: —
间里没有多余的装饰,除了一对工艺盒子和一张精美的玫瑰木女士写字台放在一张边桌上,所有的家具都是老式的: —

everything—including the carpet and curtains—looked at once well worn and well saved.
括地毯和窗帘在内的一切看起来既经过了充分利用又保存得很好。

Mr. St. John—sitting as still as one of the dusty pictures on the walls, keeping his eyes fixed on the page he perused, and his lips mutely sealed—was easy enough to examine. —
约翰先生一动不动地坐着,就像墙上尘封的画一样,眼睛盯着他阅读的那一页,嘴唇无声地闭合着,很容易仔细观察。 —

Had he been a statue instead of a man, he could not have been easier. —
如果他是一座雕像而不是一个人,他不可能更容易了。 —

He was young—perhaps from twenty-eight to thirty—tall, slender; his face riveted the eye; —
他很年轻,可能在二十八到三十岁之间,身材高挑纤细;他的脸吸引着眼球; —

it was like a Greek face, very pure in outline: quite a straight, classic nose; —
它看起来像一个希腊人的脸,轮廓非常纯净:非常直、经典的鼻子; —

quite an Athenian mouth and chin. It is seldom, indeed, an English face comes so near the antique models as did his. —
非常雅典的嘴和下巴。事实上,很少有英国人的脸能够接近古代的模特。 —

He might well be a little shocked at the irregularity of my lineaments, his own being so harmonious. His eyes were large and blue, with brown lashes; —
或许他对于我容貌的不规则感到有些震惊,因为他自己的容貌如此和谐。他的眼睛又大又蓝,有着棕色的睫毛; —

his high forehead, colourless as ivory, was partially streaked over by careless locks of fair hair.
他色白如象牙的高额部分被一缕金发的懒散锁覆盖着。

This is a gentle delineation, is it not, reader? —
这是个温和的描绘,读者,你觉得呢? —

Yet he whom it describes scarcely impressed one with the idea of a gentle, a yielding, an impressible, or even of a placid nature. —
然而,描述他的这番话几乎没有给人留下温和、易被影响或者温和的印象。 —

Quiescent as he now sat, there was something about his nostril, his mouth, his brow, which, to my perceptions, indicated elements within either restless, or hard, or eager. —
尽管他现在坐得安静,但他的鼻孔、嘴巴和额头上有着某种对于我而言表明内心蕴藏着不安、坚决或渴望的元素。 —

He did not speak to me one word, nor even direct to me one glance, till his sisters returned. —
他对我没有说一句话,甚至没有向我投以一瞥,直到他的姐妹们回来。 —

Diana, as she passed in and out, in the course of preparing tea, brought me a little cake, baked on the top of the oven.
当戴安娜在准备茶水的时候,她进进出出的时候,给了我一个从烤箱上面烤好的小蛋糕。

“Eat that now,” she said: “you must be hungry. —
“现在吃吧,”她说道:“你一定饿了。 —

Hannah says you have had nothing but some gruel since breakfast.”
汉娜说你从早餐以来只喝了一些稀粥。”

I did not refuse it, for my appetite was awakened and keen. —
我没有拒绝,因为我的胃口被唤醒了,变得非常旺盛。 —

Mr. Rivers now closed his book, approached the table, and, as he took a seat, fixed his blue pictorial-looking eyes full on me. —
现在里弗斯先生合上了书,走近桌子,当他坐下来时,他那蓝色的,像图画一样的眼睛直直地盯着我。 —

There was an unceremonious directness, a searching, decided steadfastness in his gaze now, which told that intention, and not diffidence, had hitherto kept it averted from the stranger.
现在他的目光中有一种不拘礼节的直接性,一种寻找、坚定的坚定性,它告诉人们,迄今为止,意图而不是缺乏自信心让他远离了这个陌生人。

“You are very hungry,” he said.
“你肚子很饿,”他说道。

“I am, sir.” It is my way—it always was my way, by instinct—ever to meet the brief with brevity, the direct with plainness.
“是的,先生。” 这是我的方式 - 这总是我的方式,出于本能 - 活着简短明了,对别人直接坦率。

“It is well for you that a low fever has forced you to abstain for the last three days: —
“对你来说很好,低烧迫使你在过去三天里戒掉了食物。” —

there would have been danger in yielding to the cravings of your appetite at first. —
刚开始,满足你胃口的渴望会带来危险。 —

Now you may eat, though still not immoderately.”
现在你可以吃了,但不要过分。

“I trust I shall not eat long at your expense, sir,” was my very clumsily-contrived, unpolished answer.
“先生,我相信我不会再长时间花费您的钱吃饭了,”我很笨拙地回答道。

“No,” he said coolly: “when you have indicated to us the residence of your friends, we can write to them, and you may be restored to home.”
“不,”他冷冷地说,“当你告诉我们你朋友的住址后,我们可以给他们写信,你就可以回家了。”

“That, I must plainly tell you, is out of my power to do; —
“那个,很抱歉,我无能为力; —

being absolutely without home and friends.”
我彻底没有家和朋友。”

The three looked at me, but not distrustfully; I felt there was no suspicion in their glances: —
三人看着我,但并不是怀疑的眼神,我感觉他们的目光中没有什么猜疑: —

there was more of curiosity. I speak particularly of the young ladies. —
更多的是好奇。我特别指的是那两位年轻女士。 —

St. John’s eyes, though clear enough in a literal sense, in a figurative one were difficult to fathom. —
圣约翰的眼睛,虽然在字面上足够清澈,但在比喻意义上难以捉摸。 —

He seemed to use them rather as instruments to search other people’s thoughts, than as agents to reveal his own: —
他似乎更多地把自己的眼睛当作一种探寻他人思想的工具,而不是揭示自己的工具。 —

the which combination of keenness and reserve was considerably more calculated to embarrass than to encourage.
这种热情与保留的组合更多地是为了让人尴尬而不是鼓励。

“Do you mean to say,” he asked, “that you are completely isolated from every connection?”
“你的意思是,”他问道,“你完全与任何联系隔离吗?”

“I do. Not a tie links me to any living thing: —
“是的。没有任何关系将我与任何活着的人联系在一起。 —

not a claim do I possess to admittance under any roof in England.”
在英国,我没有任何权利被允许进入任何一家住宅。”

“A most singular position at your age!”
“在你这个年纪,这是一个非常特殊的境地!”

Here I saw his glance directed to my hands, which were folded on the table before me. —
在这里,我看到他的目光落在了我摆在桌子上的双手上。 —

I wondered what he sought there: his words soon explained the quest.
我想知道他在寻找什么,他的话很快就解释了他的目的。

“You have never been married? You are a spinster?”
“你从来没结过婚吗?你是个老处女吗?”

Diana laughed. “Why, she can’t be above seventeen or eighteen years old, St. John,” said she.
狄安娜笑了。“她不可能超过十七或十八岁,圣约翰。”她说。

“I am near nineteen: but I am not married. No.”
“我快19岁了,但我没有结婚。没有。”

I felt a burning glow mount to my face; for bitter and agitating recollections were awakened by the allusion to marriage. —
我感到一股热流上涌到我的脸上;他的婚姻的提到唤起了我痛苦而激动的回忆。 —

They all saw the embarrassment and the emotion. —
他们都看到了我的尴尬和情绪。 —

Diana and Mary relieved me by turning their eyes elsewhere than to my crimsoned visage; —
狄安娜和玛丽把视线从我脸红的面孔上移开,让我松了口气。 —

but the colder and sterner brother continued to gaze, till the trouble he had excited forced out tears as well as colour.
但是那位冷漠而坚定的兄弟继续凝视,直到他所引起的困扰强迫他流泪和脸色变化。

“Where did you last reside?” he now asked.
“你上一次住在哪里?”他现在问道。

“You are too inquisitive, St. John,” murmured Mary in a low voice; —
“你太过好奇了,圣约翰,”玛丽低声嘀咕道; —

but he leaned over the table and required an answer by a second firm and piercing look.
但是他俯身在桌子上并通过第二次坚定而锐利的目光要求一个答案。

“The name of the place where, and of the person with whom I lived, is my secret,” I replied concisely.
“我生活的地方的名字和与我一同生活的人的名字是我的秘密”,我简洁地回答道。

“Which, if you like, you have, in my opinion, a right to keep, both from St. John and every other questioner,” remarked Diana.
“如果你愿意的话,我认为你有权利向圣约翰和其他询问者保守秘密,”黛安娜评论道。

“Yet if I know nothing about you or your history, I cannot help you,” he said. —
“然而,如果我对你一无所知,包括你的历史,我就无法帮助你,”他说道。 —

“And you need help, do you not?”
“你需要帮助,不是吗?”

“I need it, and I seek it so far, sir, that some true philanthropist will put me in the way of getting work which I can do, and the remuneration for which will keep me, if but in the barest necessaries of life.”
“我需要,并且迄今为止,我寻求一个真正的慈善家能够给我提供一份工作,并且报酬能够让我维持生计,即使只是生活的基本需求,”我回答道。

“I know not whether I am a true philanthropist; —
“我不知道我是否是一位真正的慈善家; —

yet I am willing to aid you to the utmost of my power in a purpose so honest. —
尽管如此,我愿意尽我所能来帮助你,对一个如此诚实的目标。 —

First, then, tell me what you have been accustomed to do, and what you can do.”
那么,首先告诉我你过去习惯做什么,以及你能做什么。”

I had now swallowed my tea. I was mightily refreshed by the beverage; —
我现在已经喝完了茶。这种饮料让我感到非常清爽; —

as much so as a giant with wine: it gave new tone to my unstrung nerves, and enabled me to address this penetrating young judge steadily.
就像一个巨人喝了酒一样:它给了我紧绷的神经新的活力,并使我能够坦然无畏地面对这位敏锐的年轻法官。

“Mr. Rivers,” I said, turning to him, and looking at him, as he looked at me, openly and without diffidence, “you and your sisters have done me a great service—the greatest man can do his fellow-being; —
“里弗斯先生,”我转向他,直视着他看着我,毫不胆怯地说道,“你和你的姐妹们为我做了一件大好事——人类能够为同胞做的最大的事情; —

you have rescued me, by your noble hospitality, from death. —
你们通过慷慨接待我,使我免于死亡。 —

This benefit conferred gives you an unlimited claim on my gratitude, and a claim, to a certain extent, on my confidence. —
这一恩惠让你对我的感激拥有无限的权利,也在一定程度上让你有权利分享我的信任。 —

I will tell you as much of the history of the wanderer you have harboured, as I can tell without compromising my own peace of mind—my own security, moral and physical, and that of others.
我将尽量讲述关于你们收留的这个流浪者的历史,尽量不损害我的心灵平静、我的个人安全(无论是精神上的还是身体上的),以及他人的安全。

“I am an orphan, the daughter of a clergyman. My parents died before I could know them. —
“我是一个孤儿,牧师的女儿。我的父母在我还没来得及认识他们之前去世了。 —

I was brought up a dependent; educated in a charitable institution. —
我是在一个慈善机构中长大的,成为了一个受赡养者。 —

I will even tell you the name of the establishment, where I passed six years as a pupil, and two as a teacher—Lowood Orphan Asylum, ——shire: —
我甚至告诉你我曾经六年作为学生、两年作为老师在哪个机构度过——洛伍德孤儿院,郡。 —

you will have heard of it, Mr. Rivers?—the Rev. Robert Brocklehurst is the treasurer.”
里弗斯先生,你应该听说过它吧?——罗伯特布罗克尔斯特牧师是财务主管。”

“I have heard of Mr. Brocklehurst, and I have seen the school.”
“我听说过布罗克尔斯特先生,也见过那所学校。”

“I left Lowood nearly a year since to become a private governess. —
“我大约一年前离开了洛伍德去当私人家庭教师。 —

I obtained a good situation, and was happy. —
我找到了一个好的工作,过得很开心。 —

This place I was obliged to leave four days before I came here. —
离开这个地方之前我被迫离职了四天。 —

The reason of my departure I cannot and ought not to explain: —
我不能也不应该解释我离开的原因: —

it would be useless, dangerous, and would sound incredible. No blame attached to me: —
这样做是没有意义的、危险的,并且听起来不可思议。没有责备归咎于我: —

I am as free from culpability as any one of you three. Miserable I am, and must be for a time; —
我和你们三个人一样没有过错。我很痛苦,而且短时间内可能还会这样持续下去。” —

for the catastrophe which drove me from a house I had found a paradise was of a strange and direful nature. —
使我离开我曾经找到的一个天堂的灾难是一种奇怪且可怕的性质。 —

I observed but two points in planning my departure—speed, secrecy: —
在计划离开时,我注意到只有两个要点 - 速度、保密: —

to secure these, I had to leave behind me everything I possessed except a small parcel; —
为了保证这些,我不得不抛下我拥有的一切,只带了一个小包裹; —

which, in my hurry and trouble of mind, I forgot to take out of the coach that brought me to Whitcross. —
在匆忙和困惑中,我忘了从把我带到惠特克罗斯的马车里取出它。 —

To this neighbourhood, then, I came, quite destitute. —
于是,我来到了这个附近,毫无一钱可花。 —

I slept two nights in the open air, and wandered about two days without crossing a threshold: —
我在露天睡了两个晚上,两天在门槛未度过: —

but twice in that space of time did I taste food; —
但在这段时间里,我只品尝到了两次食物; —

and it was when brought by hunger, exhaustion, and despair almost to the last gasp, that you, Mr. Rivers, forbade me to perish of want at your door, and took me under the shelter of your roof. —
正是当饥饿、疲惫和绝望几乎使我奄奄一息时,您,里弗斯先生,禁止我在您门口因饥饿而死去,将我带进了你的房子里庇护我。 —

I know all your sisters have done for me since—for I have not been insensible during my seeming torpor—and I owe to their spontaneous, genuine, genial compassion as large a debt as to your evangelical charity.”
我知道你们所有的姐妹为我所做的一切,因为在我表面上昏迷的时候,我并不是没有知觉,我对你们的自发、真诚、友善的同情深感感激,就像对你们的传教慈善一样。

“Don’t make her talk any more now, St. John,” said Diana, as I paused; —
“约翰,别让她再说了,”戴安娜说,当我停顿时。 —

“she is evidently not yet fit for excitement. —

Come to the sofa and sit down now, Miss Elliott.”
“她显然还不能承受刺激。

I gave an involuntary half start at hearing the alias: I had forgotten my new name. —
请到沙发上坐下来,艾略特小姐。” —

Mr. Rivers, whom nothing seemed to escape, noticed it at once.
听到这个化名,我不禁略微一惊,我都忘了自己的新名字。

“You said your name was Jane Elliott?” he observed.
里弗斯先生——似乎没有什么能逃过他的眼睛——立刻注意到了。

“I did say so; and it is the name by which I think it expedient to be called at present, but it is not my real name, and when I hear it, it sounds strange to me.”
“你说你的名字是简·艾略特?”他问道。

“Your real name you will not give?”
“是的,我是这么说的;这是我现在认为不妨这么称呼自己的名字,但这并不是我的真名,当我听到它时,它对我来说很陌生。”

“No: I fear discovery above all things; and whatever disclosure would lead to it, I avoid.”
“你不会透露你的真名吗?”

“You are quite right, I am sure,” said Diana. “Now do, brother, let her be at peace a while.”
“你说得很对,我相信,”黛安娜说。“现在,兄弟,让她安静一段时间吧。”

But when St. John had mused a few moments he recommenced as imperturbably and with as much acumen as ever.
但是当圣约翰沉思了一会儿后,他毫不动摇地重新开始,并且和以往一样敏锐。

“You would not like to be long dependent on our hospitality—you would wish, I see, to dispense as soon as may be with my sisters’ compassion, and, above all, with my charity (I am quite sensible of the distinction drawn, nor do I resent it—it is just): —
“你不会想长期依靠我们的好客,你希望尽快不需要我姐妹们的同情,尤其是不需要我姐姐的善心(我很明白你的区别,我也不怨恨,这很公正):你想要独立于我们之外?” —

you desire to be independent of us?”
“是的,我已经说过了。告诉我如何工作,或者如何找工作:这是我现在所求的一切;

“I do: I have already said so. Show me how to work, or how to seek work: that is all I now ask; —
然后让我离开,即使只是去最简陋的小屋; —

then let me go, if it be but to the meanest cottage; —
但在那之前,请允许我呆在这里:我害怕再次经历无家可归的恐惧。” —

but till then, allow me to stay here: I dread another essay of the horrors of homeless destitution.”
“求求你,让我留下来。”

“Indeed you shall stay here,” said Diana, putting her white hand on my head. —
“确实,你就要留在这里,”戴安娜说着,把她的白皙手放在我的头上。 —

“You shall,” repeated Mary, in the tone of undemonstrative sincerity which seemed natural to her.
“你就要留在这里,”玛丽重复道,她的语气毫不炫耀,充满了真挚。

“My sisters, you see, have a pleasure in keeping you,” said Mr. St. John, “as they would have a pleasure in keeping and cherishing a half-frozen bird some wintry wind might have driven through their casement. —
“你看,我的姐妹们乐意让你留下来,”圣约翰先生说,“就像他们乐意抚养和照顾一只冬天风吹进他们窗台的半冻僵的鸟一样。 —

I feel more inclination to put you in the way of keeping yourself, and shall endeavour to do so; —
我更倾向于帮助你自给自足,并会尽力这样做; —

but observe, my sphere is narrow. I am but the incumbent of a poor country parish: —
但是请注意,我能帮助的范围有限。我只是一个贫穷乡村教区的牧师: —

my aid must be of the humblest sort. And if you are inclined to despise the day of small things, seek some more efficient succour than such as I can offer.”
我的帮助只能是最谦卑的。如果你嫌弃微小的事物,请寻找比我更有效的帮助。”

“She has already said that she is willing to do anything honest she can do,” answered Diana for me; —
“她已经说过她愿意尽一切诚实的可能做事,”戴安娜替我回答道; —

“and you know, St. John, she has no choice of helpers: —
“而且你也知道,圣约翰,她没有选择帮手: —

she is forced to put up with such crusty people as you.”
她只能忍受像你这样刻薄的人。”

“I will be a dressmaker; I will be a plain-workwoman; —
“我将成为一名裁缝;我将成为一名乡下妇女; —

I will be a servant, a nurse-girl, if I can be no better,” I answered.
如果没有更好的选择,我愿意当佣人,当保姆。”我回答道。

“Right,” said Mr. St. John, quite coolly. —
“好的,”圣约翰先生很冷静地说。 —

“If such is your spirit, I promise to aid you, in my own time and way.”
“如果这是你的心意,我答应在我自己的时间和方式上帮助你。”

He now resumed the book with which he had been occupied before tea. —
现在继续阅读茶前他一直沉迷于的那本书。 —

I soon withdrew, for I had talked as much, and sat up as long, as my present strength would permit.
久后,我离开了,因为我已经说了很多话,坐着的时间也够久了,我的体力已经不允许了。