Mr. Rochester, it seems, by the surgeon’s orders, went to bed early that night; —
罗切斯特先生,根据外科医生的嘱咐,那天晚上早早就上床睡觉; —

nor did he rise soon next morning. When he did come down, it was to attend to business: —
第二天早上他也没有早早起床。当他下来的时候,是为了处理事务: —

his agent and some of his tenants were arrived, and waiting to speak with him.
他的代理人和一些租户已经到了,正在等着与他交谈。

Adèle and I had now to vacate the library: —
阿黛勒和我现在不得不离开图书馆: —

it would be in daily requisition as a reception-room for callers. —
因为它将每天作为接待来访者的房间使用。 —

A fire was lit in an apartment upstairs, and there I carried our books, and arranged it for the future schoolroom. —
楼上的房间里生起了火,我把我们的书搬进去,为未来的教室做好了安排。 —

I discerned in the course of the morning that Thornfield Hall was a changed place: —
我在上午的过程中发现索恩菲尔德庄园发生了变化: —

no longer silent as a church, it echoed every hour or two to a knock at the door, or a clang of the bell; —
不再像教堂一样寂静,而是每一两个小时就会回响一次门上的敲击声,或者铃声; —

steps, too, often traversed the hall, and new voices spoke in different keys below; —
步骤也经常穿过大厅,下面有新的声音以不同的音调说话; —

a rill from the outer world was flowing through it; —
外界的溪流正涌入其中; —

it had a master: for my part, I liked it better.
它有了一个主人:对我来说,我更喜欢它。

Adèle was not easy to teach that day; she could not apply: —
那天阿黛勒很难教,她无法努力学习。 —

she kept running to the door and looking over the banisters to see if she could get a glimpse of Mr. Rochester; —
她一直跑到门口,俯身望向栏杆上,想看看是否能瞥见罗切斯特先生; —

then she coined pretexts to go downstairs, in order, as I shrewdly suspected, to visit the library, where I knew she was not wanted; —
然后她编造借口下楼,目的显然是去图书馆,我知道她在那里是不受欢迎的; —

then, when I got a little angry, and made her sit still, she continued to talk incessantly of her “ami, Monsieur Edouard Fairfax de Rochester,” as she dubbed him (I had not before heard his prenomens), and to conjecture what presents he had brought her: —
然后,当我有点生气,让她坐下静下来时,她继续不停地谈论她的“朋友,爱德华·费尔法克斯·罗切斯特先生”,正如她所称呼他的那样(在此之前我还没有听说过他的名字),并猜测他给她带来了什么礼物; —

for it appears he had intimated the night before, that when his luggage came from Millcote, there would be found amongst it a little box in whose contents she had an interest.
因为据说前一晚他曾表示当他的行李从米尔科特来时,其中会有一个小盒子,盒子里的东西对她很重要;

“Et cela doit signifier,” said she, “qu’il y aura là dedans un cadeau pour moi, et peut-être pour vous aussi, mademoiselle. —
“Et cela doit signifier”,她说,“qu’il y aura là dedans un cadeau pour moi, et peut-être pour vous aussi, mademoiselle.” —

Monsieur a parlé de vous: il m’a demandé le nom de ma gouvernante, et si elle n’était pas une petite personne, assez mince et un peu pâle. —
Monsieur a parlé de vous: il m’a demandé le nom de ma gouvernante, et si elle n’était pas une petite personne, assez mince et un peu pâle. —

J’ai dit qu’oui: car c’est vrai, n’est-ce pas, mademoiselle?”
“我说是的,因为这是真的,不是吗,小姐?”

I and my pupil dined as usual in Mrs. Fairfax’s parlour; —
我和我的学生像往常一样在费尔法克斯夫人的起居室用餐; —

the afternoon was wild and snowy, and we passed it in the schoolroom. —
下午天气很恶劣,下着大雪,我们在教室度过了时间。 —

At dark I allowed Adèle to put away books and work, and to run downstairs; —
天黑了,我允许阿黛勒收拾书本和作业,然后跑下楼; —

for, from the comparative silence below, and from the cessation of appeals to the door-bell, I conjectured that Mr. Rochester was now at liberty. —
因为楼下相对安静,门铃声也停止了,我推测罗切斯特先生现在应该有空了。 —

Left alone, I walked to the window; but nothing was to be seen thence: —
独自一人,我走到窗前,但从那里什么也看不见: —

twilight and snowflakes together thickened the air, and hid the very shrubs on the lawn. —
黄昏和雪花一起使空气变得浓厚,甚至连草坪上的灌木都被隐藏起来。 —

I let down the curtain and went back to the fireside.
我放下窗帘,回到了壁炉旁。

In the clear embers I was tracing a view, not unlike a picture I remembered to have seen of the castle of Heidelberg, on the Rhine, when Mrs. Fairfax came in, breaking up by her entrance the fiery mosaic I had been piercing together, and scattering too some heavy unwelcome thoughts that were beginning to throng on my solitude.
在明亮的余烬中,我正在描绘一个景象,有点像我记得在莱茵河上看到过的海德堡城堡的画面,这时费尔法克斯夫人走进来,打断了我拼凑的火焰图案,并打散了一些不受欢迎的沉重思绪,它们正开始围攻我的孤独。

“Mr. Rochester would be glad if you and your pupil would take tea with him in the drawing-room this evening,” said she: —
“罗切斯特先生希望您和您的学生今晚能与他在客厅里一起喝茶,”她说。 —

“he has been so much engaged all day that he could not ask to see you before.”
“他今天一直很忙,所以在此之前无法约见您。”

“When is his tea-time?” I inquired.
“他的茶点时间是什么时候?”我问道。

“Oh, at six o’clock: he keeps early hours in the country. —
“噢,六点钟,他在乡下保持着早起的习惯。” —

You had better change your frock now; I will go with you and fasten it. —
“你最好现在换上你的礼服;我会陪你去系好它。” —

Here is a candle.”
“这是蜡烛。”

“Is it necessary to change my frock?”
“需要换上礼服吗?”

“Yes, you had better: I always dress for the evening when Mr. Rochester is here.”
“是的,最好换上;当罗切斯特先生在这里时,我总是穿着晚装。”

This additional ceremony seemed somewhat stately; —
这个额外的仪式感觉有些庄重; —

however, I repaired to my room, and, with Mrs. Fairfax’s aid, replaced my black stuff dress by one of black silk; —
不过,我去了我的房间,再次换上了一件黑色的真丝连衣裙; —

the best and the only additional one I had, except one of light grey, which, in my Lowood notions of the toilette, I thought too fine to be worn, except on first-rate occasions.
这是我除了一件浅灰色的外,唯一多出的衣服了。按照我洛伍德的打扮理念,我觉得那件衣服太过华丽,只能在非常重要的场合穿。

“You want a brooch,” said Mrs. Fairfax. —
“你需要一个胸针,”费尔法克斯夫人说道。 —

I had a single little pearl ornament which Miss Temple gave me as a parting keepsake: —
我有一颗小珍珠饰品,是小天使赠送给我的分手纪念品: —

I put it on, and then we went downstairs. —
我戴上了它,然后我们下楼去了。 —

Unused as I was to strangers, it was rather a trial to appear thus formally summoned in Mr. Rochester’s presence. —
对于我这个不习惯与陌生人交往的人来说,在罗切斯特先生面前如此正式地被召唤出现真是一种考验。 —

I let Mrs. Fairfax precede me into the dining-room, and kept in her shade as we crossed that apartment; —
我让费尔法克斯夫人带头进入餐厅,我则在她的阴影下走过这个房间; —

and, passing the arch, whose curtain was now dropped, entered the elegant recess beyond.
经过那个现在布帘已经放下的拱门,进入了优雅的隐秘房间。

Two wax candles stood lighted on the table, and two on the mantelpiece; —
桌子上点燃着两支蜡烛,壁炉架上也点燃着两支; —

basking in the light and heat of a superb fire, lay Pilot—Adèle knelt near him. —
普里特躺在一堆温暖的火光中,阿黛勒跪在他旁边。 —

Half reclined on a couch appeared Mr. Rochester, his foot supported by the cushion; —
罗切斯特先生半躺在沙发上,脚踏在垫子上; —

he was looking at Adèle and the dog: the fire shone full on his face. —
他看着阿黛勒和那只狗,火光照在他的脸上。 —

I knew my traveller with his broad and jetty eyebrows; —
我认出了我的旅行者,他宽广而浓密的眉毛; —

his square forehead, made squarer by the horizontal sweep of his black hair. —
他方正的额头,由黑发的横向扫过而显得更加方正。 —

I recognised his decisive nose, more remarkable for character than beauty; —
我认出了他果断的鼻子,更加注重个性而非美丽; —

his full nostrils, denoting, I thought, choler; —
他鼻孔张大,似乎暗示着他的易怒; —

his grim mouth, chin, and jaw—yes, all three were very grim, and no mistake. —
他那严肃的嘴巴、下巴和下颌——没错,所有这三个都非常严肃; —

His shape, now divested of cloak, I perceived harmonised in squareness with his physiognomy: —
他脱下披风后的身材,我发现与他的面容一样方正; —

I suppose it was a good figure in the athletic sense of the term—broad chested and thin flanked, though neither tall nor graceful.
我想在运动感上这是一个不错的体型——胸腔宽广、腰身瘦削,尽管既不高大也不优雅;

Mr. Rochester must have been aware of the entrance of Mrs. Fairfax and myself; —
罗切斯特先生一定察觉到了费尔法克斯夫人和我进来的时候; —

but it appeared he was not in the mood to notice us, for he never lifted his head as we approached.
但显然他心情不好,因为我们走近时他一直没有抬起头;

“Here is Miss Eyre, sir,” said Mrs. Fairfax, in her quiet way. —
“先生,这是爱尔小姐,”费尔法克斯夫人以她平静的口吻说道; —

He bowed, still not taking his eyes from the group of the dog and child.
他鞠了一躬,眼睛仍然没有离开那只狗和那个孩子的群体;

“Let Miss Eyre be seated,” said he: and there was something in the forced stiff bow, in the impatient yet formal tone, which seemed further to express, “What the deuce is it to me whether Miss Eyre be there or not? —
“请让爱尔小姐坐下,”他说,他那被强迫的僵硬鞠躬、对待不耐烦却又正式的语气中,似乎还深意着:“爱尔小姐在不在那里与我毫无关系; —

At this moment I am not disposed to accost her.”
此刻我不打算和她搭话。”

I sat down quite disembarrassed. A reception of finished politeness would probably have confused me: —
我尴尬地坐下来了。如果遇到一个很有礼貌的接待,可能会让我困惑不解。 —

I could not have returned or repaid it by answering grace and elegance on my part; —
我无法通过我的优雅和风度来回报或还清它; —

but harsh caprice laid me under no obligation; —
但是粗鲁的反复无常没有给我任何义务; —

on the contrary, a decent quiescence, under the freak of manner, gave me the advantage. —
相反,对于这种奇特的举止,我保持了体面的宁静,从而得到了优势。 —

Besides, the eccentricity of the proceeding was piquant: —
此外,这种行为的古怪令人兴奋: —

I felt interested to see how he would go on.
我感兴趣地想看看他会怎么做。

He went on as a statue would, that is, he neither spoke nor moved. —
他像雕塑一样继续前进,即他既不说话也不动。 —

Mrs. Fairfax seemed to think it necessary that some one should be amiable, and she began to talk. —
费尔法克斯夫人似乎认为有必要有人友好一点,于是她开始说话。 —

Kindly, as usual—and, as usual, rather trite—she condoled with him on the pressure of business he had had all day; —
像往常一样友善,也像往常一样陈腐,她对他一整天的工作压力表示同情; —

on the annoyance it must have been to him with that painful sprain: —
对于他那痛苦的扭伤一定很烦恼: —

then she commended his patience and perseverance in going through with it.
然后,她赞扬他在继续努力的耐心和毅力。

“Madam, I should like some tea,” was the sole rejoinder she got. She hastened to ring the bell; —
“夫人,我想要一些茶。”这是她得到的唯一回应。她赶紧按铃。 —

and when the tray came, she proceeded to arrange the cups, spoons, &c. —
当盘子拿来的时候,她开始摆放杯子、匙子等等。 —

, with assiduous celerity. I and Adèle went to the table; —
用勤奋的敏捷,我和阿黛尔走向餐桌; —

but the master did not leave his couch.
但是主人没有离开他的沙发。

“Will you hand Mr. Rochester’s cup?” said Mrs. Fairfax to me; —
“你能把罗切斯特先生的杯子递给他吗?”费尔法克斯夫人对我说; —

“Adèle might perhaps spill it.”
“阿黛尔可能会溅出来。”

I did as requested. As he took the cup from my hand, Adèle, thinking the moment propitious for making a request in my favour, cried out—
我按照要求做了。当他从我的手中接过杯子时,阿黛尔觉得现在向他提出一个关于我自己的请求是时机合适,她大声说道:

“N’est-ce pas, monsieur, qu’il y a un cadeau pour Mademoiselle Eyre dans votre petit coffre?”
“先生,您的小箱子里有一个礼物给爱尔小姐,是吗?”

“Who talks of cadeaux?” said he gruffly. “Did you expect a present, Miss Eyre? —
“谁说有礼物?”他粗暴地说。“你期待有礼物,爱尔小姐吗? —

Are you fond of presents?” and he searched my face with eyes that I saw were dark, irate, and piercing.
你喜欢礼物吗?”他用那双黑暗、愤怒而锐利的眼睛察看着我的脸。

“I hardly know, sir; I have little experience of them: —
“我不太清楚,先生;我对礼物没有多少经验: —

they are generally thought pleasant things.”
人们通常都认为礼物是件愉快的事情。”

“Generally thought? But what do you think?”
“通常认为?但是你认为呢?”

“I should be obliged to take time, sir, before I could give you an answer worthy of your acceptance: —
“先生,我想在回答您值得接受的问题之前,我需要一些时间来考虑。” —

a present has many faces to it, has it not? —
一个礼物有许多方面,是吗? —

and one should consider all, before pronouncing an opinion as to its nature.”
在发表意见之前,人们应该考虑所有的因素以确定它的本质。

“Miss Eyre, you are not so unsophisticated as Adèle: —
“埃亚尔小姐,你并不像阿黛尔那样单纯。 —

she demands a ‘cadeau,’ clamorously, the moment she sees me: —
她一看见我就大吵大闹要礼物,你却不肯直说。” —

you beat about the bush.”
你只是兜圈子。

“Because I have less confidence in my deserts than Adèle has: —
“因为我对自己的价值没有阿黛尔那么自信。 —

she can prefer the claim of old acquaintance, and the right too of custom; —
她能提出旧识和习俗的权利。 —

for she says you have always been in the habit of giving her playthings; —
她说你一直习惯给她玩具; —

but if I had to make out a case I should be puzzled, since I am a stranger, and have done nothing to entitle me to an acknowledgment.”
但是如果我要为自己找理由,我会感到困惑,因为我是个陌生人,没有做什么值得承认的事情。”

“Oh, don’t fall back on over-modesty! —
“哦,不要谦虚了! —

I have examined Adèle, and find you have taken great pains with her: —
我检查了阿黛尔,发现你对她费了很大的心思; —

she is not bright, she has no talents; yet in a short time she has made much improvement.”
她不聪明,没有才华;但是很快就有了很大的进步。”

“Sir, you have now given me my ‘cadeau;’ I am obliged to you: —
“先生,你给了我我的‘礼物’,我感谢您; —

it is the meed teachers most covet—praise of their pupils’ progress.”
这是老师最渴望的报酬——对学生进步的赞扬。”

“Humph!” said Mr. Rochester, and he took his tea in silence.
“唔!”罗切斯特先生说道,他默默地喝着茶。

“Come to the fire,” said the master, when the tray was taken away, and Mrs. Fairfax had settled into a corner with her knitting; —
“过来坐到火边,”主人说道,当托盘被取走时,费尔法克斯夫人已在一个角落里坐下来编织着。 —

while Adèle was leading me by the hand round the room, showing me the beautiful books and ornaments on the consoles and chiffonnières. —
与此同时,阿黛勒牵着我的手带着我在屋子里转悠,向我展示着悬挂台和柜子上的美丽书籍和装饰品。 —

We obeyed, as in duty bound; Adèle wanted to take a seat on my knee, but she was ordered to amuse herself with Pilot.
我们按照权利所在听从了命令,阿黛勒想要坐在我的腿上,但她被命令去和帕乌洛玩耍。

“You have been resident in my house three months?”
“你在我家住了三个月了?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“And you came from—?”
“你是从哪里来的——?”

“From Lowood school, in ——shire.”
“从——郡的洛伍德学校来的。”

“Ah! a charitable concern. How long were you there?”
“啊!一所慈善机构。你在那儿待了多久?”

“Eight years.”
“八年。”

“Eight years! you must be tenacious of life. —
“八年!你一定对生活很执着。 —

I thought half the time in such a place would have done up any constitution! —
我原以为在这样的地方呆一半的时间已经足够消磨掉任何一个体格了! —

No wonder you have rather the look of another world. —
难怪你有点来自另一个世界的样子。 —

I marvelled where you had got that sort of face. —
我惊奇地想,你到底是从哪儿找到那种脸的。” —

When you came on me in Hay Lane last night, I thought unaccountably of fairy tales, and had half a mind to demand whether you had bewitched my horse: —
当你昨晚在海莱恩遇见我时,我莫名地想起了童话故事,一半心想着要问你是否施了魔法让我的马失常。 —

I am not sure yet. Who are your parents?”
我还不确定。你的父母是谁?

“I have none.”
“我没有父母。”

“Nor ever had, I suppose: do you remember them?”
“我想象中,你从来没有过父母,对吗?你还记得他们吗?”

“No.”
“不记得。”

“I thought not. And so you were waiting for your people when you sat on that stile?”
“我就知道。你在那个护栏上等你的亲人,对吗?”

“For whom, sir?”
“亲人,先生?”

“For the men in green: it was a proper moonlight evening for them. —
“等那些穿绿衣服的人:这正是他们的好时机呢,月光夜晚。” —

Did I break through one of your rings, that you spread that damned ice on the causeway?”
“我没有践踏你们的环,所以你何必在路上撒这该死的冰呢?”

I shook my head. “The men in green all forsook England a hundred years ago,” said I, speaking as seriously as he had done. —
我摇了摇头。“那些穿绿衣服的人一百年前就离开了英格兰。”我认真地回答。 —

“And not even in Hay Lane, or the fields about it, could you find a trace of them. —
“在海莱恩,或者周围的田野,你都找不到他们的踪迹。” —

I don’t think either summer or harvest, or winter moon, will ever shine on their revels more.”
“我觉得夏天、收割季节或者冬月将再也不会有他们的狂欢了。”

Mrs. Fairfax had dropped her knitting, and, with raised eyebrows, seemed wondering what sort of talk this was.
费尔法克斯夫人放下了手中的针织品,抬起眉毛,似乎在想这是怎样的一段对话。

“Well,” resumed Mr. Rochester, “if you disown parents, you must have some sort of kinsfolk: —
“嗯”,罗切斯特先生接着说道,“如果你放弃了父母,那你肯定有亲戚:叔叔阿姨之类的吧?” —

uncles and aunts?”
“没有;我从未见过。”

“No; none that I ever saw.”
“你的家在哪里?”

“And your home?”
“我没有家。”

“I have none.”
“你的兄弟姐妹住在哪里?”

“Where do your brothers and sisters live?”
“我没有兄弟姐妹。”

“I have no brothers or sisters.”
“是谁推荐你来这里的?”

“Who recommended you to come here?”
“我登了广告,费尔法克斯太太回复了我的广告。”

“I advertised, and Mrs. Fairfax answered my advertisement.”
“是的”,好太太说道,现在她知道我们谈论的内容了,“上帝把我引导到选择她真是让我感激。

“Yes,” said the good lady, who now knew what ground we were upon, “and I am daily thankful for the choice Providence led me to make. —
埃尔小姐对我来说是一个无价的伴侣,对阿黛勒来说是一个亲切和细心的老师。” —

Miss Eyre has been an invaluable companion to me, and a kind and careful teacher to Adèle.”
“不必为她撰写一份推荐信,”罗切斯特先生回答道,“美辞奉承对我来说不会起到偏见作用;我会自己判断。

“Don’t trouble yourself to give her a character,” returned Mr. Rochester: —
“她开始时就将我的马给砍倒了。” —

“eulogiums will not bias me; I shall judge for myself. —
“先生?”费尔法克斯太太说道。 —

She began by felling my horse.”
“我不敢相信。”

“Sir?” said Mrs. Fairfax.
“她对我非常有价值,她一直是我无价的伴侣,也是阿黛勒亲切而细心的老师。”

“I have to thank her for this sprain.”
“我必须感谢她给我这次扭伤。”

The widow looked bewildered.
寡妇看起来很困惑。

“Miss Eyre, have you ever lived in a town?”
“爱尔,你在城里住过吗?”

“No, sir.”
“没有,先生。”

“Have you seen much society?”
“你见过很多人吗?”

“None but the pupils and teachers of Lowood, and now the inmates of Thornfield.”
“只有学生和老师们,以及现在索恩菲尔德的居民。”

“Have you read much?”
“你读过很多书吗?”

“Only such books as came in my way; and they have not been numerous or very learned.”
“只读过那些碰巧看到的书;它们数量不多,也不是很博学。”

“You have lived the life of a nun: no doubt you are well drilled in religious forms; —
“你过着修女的生活:毫无疑问,你对宗教仪式熟悉得很好; —

—Brocklehurst, who I understand directs Lowood, is a parson, is he not?”
布罗克尔斯特先生,我知道他在洛伍德负责,他是一位牧师,对吗?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“And you girls probably worshipped him, as a convent full of religieuses would worship their director.”
“你们女生可能崇拜他,就像修道院里的修女们崇拜她们的教导主任一样。”

“Oh, no.”
“哦,不是这样的。”

“You are very cool! No! What! a novice not worship her priest! That sounds blasphemous.”
“你太冷静了!不崇拜自己的牧师!听起来是亵渎。”

“I disliked Mr. Brocklehurst; and I was not alone in the feeling. He is a harsh man; —
“我不喜欢布罗克尔斯特先生;我并不是唯一一个这样想的。他是个严厉的人; —

at once pompous and meddling; he cut off our hair; —
他既傲慢又喜欢干涉;他给我们剪了头发; —

and for economy’s sake bought us bad needles and thread, with which we could hardly sew.”
出于节约的考虑,他给我们买了劣质的针线,我们几乎无法用它们缝纫。”

“That was very false economy,” remarked Mrs. Fairfax, who now again caught the drift of the dialogue.
“那真是极度不划算”,费尔法克斯夫人评论道,她现在再次明白对话的意思了。

“And was that the head and front of his offending?” demanded Mr. Rochester.
“他的罪过就只有这么一点吗?”罗切斯特先生问道。

“He starved us when he had the sole superintendence of the provision department, before the committee was appointed; —
“在委员会成立之前,他负责供应部门的时候,他饿死了我们; —

and he bored us with long lectures once a week, and with evening readings from books of his own inditing, about sudden deaths and judgments, which made us afraid to go to bed.”
每周给我们枯燥无味的长篇讲课,晚上给我们读他自己写的关于突然死亡和审判的书,让我们晚上怕睡觉。”

“What age were you when you went to Lowood?”
“你去洛伍德的时候多大?”

“About ten.”
“大约十岁。”

“And you stayed there eight years: you are now, then, eighteen?”
“你在那里住了八年,现在你十八岁了?”

I assented.
我点头表示同意。

“Arithmetic, you see, is useful; without its aid, I should hardly have been able to guess your age. It is a point difficult to fix where the features and countenance are so much at variance as in your case. —
“你看,算术很有用;如果没有它的帮助,我几乎无法猜出你的年龄。在你的情况下,面部和容貌差异如此之大,很难确定一个点。 —

And now what did you learn at Lowood? Can you play?”
“那么你在洛伍德学到了什么?你会弹钢琴吗?”

“A little.”
“会一点。”

“Of course: that is the established answer. Go into the library—I mean, if you please. —
“当然,这是通常的答案。请到图书馆去——如果你愿意的话。” —

—(Excuse my tone of command; I am used to say, ‘Do this,’ and it is done: —
“——(请原谅我的命令口气;我习惯说‘做这个’,然后事情就完成了: —

I cannot alter my customary habits for one new inmate.)—Go, then, into the library; —
不能为了一个新的住户改变自己惯常的习惯。)——然后,请去图书馆; —

take a candle with you; leave the door open; —
随身带上一支蜡烛;把门开着; —

sit down to the piano, and play a tune.”
坐下来弹奏一曲。”

I departed, obeying his directions.
我按照他的指示离开了。

“Enough!” he called out in a few minutes. “You play a little, I see; —
“够了!”几分钟后他喊道。“我看到了,你的弹奏水平不错; —

like any other English school-girl; perhaps rather better than some, but not well.”
就像其他英国女校学生一样;可能比某些人要好一些,但还不算很好。”

I closed the piano and returned. Mr. Rochester continued—
我合上钢琴回来了。罗切斯特先生接着说:

“Adèle showed me some sketches this morning, which she said were yours. —
“阿黛勒今天早上给我看了一些素描,她说是你做的。 —

I don’t know whether they were entirely of your doing; probably a master aided you?”
我不知道它们是不是完全出自你的手笔;可能有老师帮助你吧?”

“No, indeed!” I interjected.
“不,真的没有!”我插话道。

“Ah! that pricks pride. Well, fetch me your portfolio, if you can vouch for its contents being original; —
“啊!那刺激到了你的自豪心。好吧,如果你能保证你的书包里都是原创内容,就把它拿给我看看; —

but don’t pass your word unless you are certain: —
但在你确定之前,不要轻易给出你的承诺: —

I can recognise patchwork.”
我可以认出拼布。

“Then I will say nothing, and you shall judge for yourself, sir.”
“那么我将保持沉默,您可以自行判断,先生。”

I brought the portfolio from the library.
我从图书馆带来了作品集。

“Approach the table,” said he; and I wheeled it to his couch. —
“走到桌子旁边,”他说,“我将它推到他的躺椅旁边。” —

Adèle and Mrs. Fairfax drew near to see the pictures.
艾黛尔和费尔法克斯夫人走近看照片。

“No crowding,” said Mr. Rochester: “take the drawings from my hand as I finish with them; —
“不要挤在一起,”罗切斯特先生说,“等我看完了就从我手里接过这些画;但不要把你们的脸贴近我的。” —

but don’t push your faces up to mine.”
他有意地仔细审视每一幅草图和油画。他放到了一边三幅;其他的,他检查完之后,都丢在了一边。

He deliberately scrutinised each sketch and painting. Three he laid aside; —
“费尔法克斯夫人,把它们拿到另一张桌子上去,和艾黛尔一起看;你”(瞥了一眼我),“坐回去,回答我的问题。 —

the others, when he had examined them, he swept from him.
我看出来这些画都是同一个人画的,是你画的吗?”

“Take them off to the other table, Mrs. Fairfax,” said he, “and look at them with Adèle; —
“是的。” —

—you” (glancing at me) “resume your seat, and answer my questions. —
“那你是什么时候找到时间画这些的?它们花了很多时间,需要一些思考。” —

I perceive those pictures were done by one hand: was that hand yours?”
“是啊。”

“Yes.”
“那你什么时候开始画这些的?”

“And when did you find time to do them? They have taken much time, and some thought.”
“我在梅森夫人离开前不久开始画的。”

“I did them in the last two vacations I spent at Lowood, when I had no other occupation.”
“这些画作我是在我过去两次在洛伍德度假时完成的,那时候我没有其他的事情。”

“Where did you get your copies?”
“你从哪里得到这些复制品的?”

“Out of my head.”
“从我脑子里。”

“That head I see now on your shoulders?”
“你说的是你现在头上的那个脑袋吗?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“Has it other furniture of the same kind within?”
“那里面还有其他同样类型的东西吗?”

“I should think it may have: I should hope—better.”
“我想可能有:我希望是的。”

He spread the pictures before him, and again surveyed them alternately.
在他面前摊开这些画作,再次轮流审视它们。

While he is so occupied, I will tell you, reader, what they are: —
在他忙于此时,我会告诉你,读者,它们到底是什么: —

and first, I must premise that they are nothing wonderful. —
首先,我必须预先说明它们并不出众。 —

The subjects had, indeed, risen vividly on my mind. —
这些题材确实在我的脑海中栩栩如生地浮现出来。 —

As I saw them with the spiritual eye, before I attempted to embody them, they were striking; —
当我在试图将它们具象化之前,它们是引人注目的; —

but my hand would not second my fancy, and in each case it had wrought out but a pale portrait of the thing I had conceived.
但是我的手却无法配合我的幻想,在每个案例中,它只创作出了我构思的事物的苍白画像。

These pictures were in water-colours. The first represented clouds low and livid, rolling over a swollen sea: —
这些画作是用水彩作的。第一幅画描绘了低垂的乌云在汹涌的海上滚动: —

all the distance was in eclipse; so, too, was the foreground; —
所有的景色都被黑暗笼罩;前景也是如此; —

or rather, the nearest billows, for there was no land. —
或者更确切地说,最近的波涛,因为没有陆地。 —

One gleam of light lifted into relief a half-submerged mast, on which sat a cormorant, dark and large, with wings flecked with foam; —
一线光亮将一根半淹没的桅杆映衬了起来,上面栖息着一只深色而庞大的鸬鹚,它的翅膀上沾满了泡沫; —

its beak held a gold bracelet set with gems, that I had touched with as brilliant tints as my palette could yield, and as glittering distinctness as my pencil could impart. —
它的鸟嘴抓着一只镶有宝石的金手镯,我用我的调色板所能提供的最亮的色彩和我的铅笔所能表现的最明显的纹理来描绘它。 —

Sinking below the bird and mast, a drowned corpse glanced through the green water; —
沉没在鸟和桅杆下方,一个溺水的尸体在碧绿的水中闪现; —

a fair arm was the only limb clearly visible, whence the bracelet had been washed or torn.
一个美丽的手臂是唯一清晰可见的肢体,金手镯已被冲刷或撕裂。

The second picture contained for foreground only the dim peak of a hill, with grass and some leaves slanting as if by a breeze. —
第二幅画的前景只有一个山峰的模糊顶端,带着草和一些斜斜倒伏的叶子,仿佛被微风吹拂。 —

Beyond and above spread an expanse of sky, dark blue as at twilight: —
在上方和远处展开了一片暗蓝色的天空,就像黄昏时的蓝色一样。 —

rising into the sky was a woman’s shape to the bust, portrayed in tints as dusk and soft as I could combine. —
升腾到天空中的是一个女人的形状,到胸部为止,以我所能混合的暮色和柔和的色彩来描绘。 —

The dim forehead was crowned with a star; —
昏暗的额头上戴着一颗星星。 —

the lineaments below were seen as through the suffusion of vapour; the eyes shone dark and wild; —
透过蒸汽的渗透,可以看到下面的线条;眼睛闪烁着黑暗而狂野的光芒; —

the hair streamed shadowy, like a beamless cloud torn by storm or by electric travail. —
头发像无光的乌云一样飞舞着,像是被风暴或电力所撕裂。 —

On the neck lay a pale reflection like moonlight; —
脖子上镶嵌着苍白的反射,宛如月光; —

the same faint lustre touched the train of thin clouds from which rose and bowed this vision of the Evening Star.
同样微弱的光辉触及了从薄云中升起并鞠躬的夜晚星星的星状长尾。

The third showed the pinnacle of an iceberg piercing a polar winter sky: —
第三个显示了一座冰山的巅峰穿过极地的冬天天空: —

a muster of northern lights reared their dim lances, close serried, along the horizon. —
一群北极光举起了他们朦胧的长矛,密集地沿着地平线排列。 —

Throwing these into distance, rose, in the foreground, a head,—a colossal head, inclined towards the iceberg, and resting against it. —
将这些抛到远处,在前景中,升起一颗头——一颗庞大的头,倾斜着朝着冰山,依靠在上面。 —

Two thin hands, joined under the forehead, and supporting it, drew up before the lower features a sable veil; —
两只细手,交叉于额头下面,支撑着它,在下半部特征之前抬起了一条黑色面纱; —

a brow quite bloodless, white as bone, and an eye hollow and fixed, blank of meaning but for the glassiness of despair, alone were visible. —
一只完全无血色的额头,白得像骨头,以及一个空洞而呆滞的眼睛,除了绝望的望着眼中的坚固无意义之外,什么也看不见。 —

Above the temples, amidst wreathed turban folds of black drapery, vague in its character and consistency as cloud, gleamed a ring of white flame, gemmed with sparkles of a more lurid tinge. —
在寺庙上方的黑色帷幔褶皱之间,闪烁着一圈白色的火焰,闪烁着更深红色的光芒。 —

This pale crescent was “the likeness of a kingly crown; —
这个苍白的新月形状就像是一顶国王的王冠; —

” what it diademed was “the shape which shape had none.”
它所加冕的是一个没有形状的形状。

“Were you happy when you painted these pictures?” asked Mr. Rochester presently.
“你在画这些画的时候快乐吗?”罗切斯特先生问道。

“I was absorbed, sir: yes, and I was happy. —
“我陶醉其中,先生:是的,我很快乐。 —

To paint them, in short, was to enjoy one of the keenest pleasures I have ever known.”
总而言之,画它们就是享受我曾经体验过的最强烈的快乐之一。”

“That is not saying much. Your pleasures, by your own account, have been few; —
“这可不算什么。按你自己的说法,你的快乐并不多; —

but I daresay you did exist in a kind of artist’s dreamland while you blent and arranged these strange tints. —
不过我敢说当你混合和安排这些奇怪的色调时,你就像置身于一种艺术家的梦幻世界中。 —

Did you sit at them long each day?”
你每天坐在那里很久吗?”

“I had nothing else to do, because it was the vacation, and I sat at them from morning till noon, and from noon till night: —
“因为那时候是假期,我别无他事,从早到晚都在画它们: —

the length of the midsummer days favoured my inclination to apply.”
仲夏的日子长,很适合我倾向于创作。”

“And you felt self-satisfied with the result of your ardent labours?”
“你满意自己的辛勤劳动的结果吗?”

“Far from it. I was tormented by the contrast between my idea and my handiwork: —
“远非如此。我被我的想法和我的手艺之间的对比所折磨: —

in each case I had imagined something which I was quite powerless to realise.”
在每一个情况下,我都想象出了我无法实现的东西。”

“Not quite: you have secured the shadow of your thought; but no more, probably. —
“不完全是:你只是获取了你思绪的影子;但可能没有更多了。 —

You had not enough of the artist’s skill and science to give it full being: —
你没有足够的艺术家的技巧和科学来赋予其完全的存在: —

yet the drawings are, for a school-girl, peculiar. As to the thoughts, they are elfish. —
然而对于一个女孩来说,这些图纸是特别的。至于这些思想,它们是小精灵般的。 —

These eyes in the Evening Star you must have seen in a dream. —
你在“晚星”中必定梦见过这双眼睛。 —

How could you make them look so clear, and yet not at all brilliant? —
你是如何使它们看起来如此清晰,却一点也不耀眼? —

for the planet above quells their rays. And what meaning is that in their solemn depth? —
因为上方的行星抑制了它们的光芒。这些庄严的深处有什么含义? —

And who taught you to paint wind? There is a high gale in that sky, and on this hill-top. —
是谁教你画风?天空中有一阵强风,在这个山顶上也是如此。 —

Where did you see Latmos? For that is Latmos. —
你在哪里见过拉特莫斯?因为这就是拉特莫斯。 —

There! put the drawings away!”
好了!把这些画放好!”

I had scarce tied the strings of the portfolio, when, looking at his watch, he said abruptly—
我刚刚系好文件夹的绳子,就看到他看了一眼手表,突然说道——

“It is nine o’clock: what are you about, Miss Eyre, to let Adèle sit up so long? —
“现在已经九点了,艾黛勒怎么还没睡觉? —

Take her to bed.”
带她去睡觉。”

Adèle went to kiss him before quitting the room: —
艾黛勒在离开房间前过去吻了他一下: —

he endured the caress, but scarcely seemed to relish it more than Pilot would have done, nor so much.
他忍受了这个吻,但似乎并不比像大头狗一样喜欢,甚至更不喜欢。

“I wish you all good-night, now,” said he, making a movement of the hand towards the door, in token that he was tired of our company, and wished to dismiss us. —
“现在我要祝大家晚安了,”他说着向门伸出手,表示他对我们的陪伴厌倦了,希望我们离开。 —

Mrs. Fairfax folded up her knitting: I took my portfolio: —
费尔法克斯夫人收拾好她的编织物,我拿起我的文件夹: —

we curtseyed to him, received a frigid bow in return, and so withdrew.
我们向他行了个屈膝礼,他冷淡地回了一个鞠躬,于是我们离开了。

“You said Mr. Rochester was not strikingly peculiar, Mrs. Fairfax,” I observed, when I rejoined her in her room, after putting Adèle to bed.
“你说过罗切斯特先生并没有非常奇特,费尔法克斯夫人,”我在把艾黛勒放到床上后回到她的房间时观察到。

“Well, is he?”
“嗯,是吗?”

“I think so: he is very changeful and abrupt.”
“我想是的:他非常反复无常和突然。”

“True: no doubt he may appear so to a stranger, but I am so accustomed to his manner, I never think of it; —
“没错:毫无疑问,在一个陌生人眼里他可能会显得如此,但是我已经习惯了他的方式,我从来不去考虑。” —

and then, if he has peculiarities of temper, allowance should be made.”
然后,如果他有脾气上的特殊之处,应该给予宽容。

“Why?”
“为什么呢?”

“Partly because it is his nature—and we can none of us help our nature; —
“部分是因为这是他的天性,我们都无法控制自己的天性; —

and partly because he has painful thoughts, no doubt, to harass him, and make his spirits unequal.”
“还有部分是因为他肯定有令他烦恼、情绪不稳的痛苦想法。”

“What about?”
“关于什么?”

“Family troubles, for one thing.”
“家庭问题,首当其冲。”

“But he has no family.”
“但他没有家人。”

“Not now, but he has had—or, at least, relatives. —
“现在没有,但他曾经有过——或者至少有亲戚。” —

He lost his elder brother a few years since.”
“他几年前失去了他的哥哥。”

“His elder brother?”
“他的哥哥?”

“Yes. The present Mr. Rochester has not been very long in possession of the property; —
“是的。目前的罗切斯特先生才占有财产不久; —

only about nine years.”
“只有大约九年。”

“Nine years is a tolerable time. Was he so very fond of his brother as to be still inconsolable for his loss?”
“九年是相当长的时间。他对他兄弟如此钟爱以至于他仍然无法忘怀吗?”

“Why, no—perhaps not. I believe there were some misunderstandings between them. —
“嗯,并不一定。我相信他们之间有一些误会。 —

Mr. Rowland Rochester was not quite just to Mr. Edward; —
“罗兰先生对爱德华先生并不够公正。” —

and perhaps he prejudiced his father against him. —
也许他让他的父亲对他产生偏见。 —

The old gentleman was fond of money, and anxious to keep the family estate together. —
这位老绅士喜欢钱,急于保持家族的财产。 —

He did not like to diminish the property by division, and yet he was anxious that Mr. Edward should have wealth, too, to keep up the consequence of the name; —
他不愿意通过分割财产来减少财产,但又希望爱德华先生也有财富,以保持家族的威望。 —

and, soon after he was of age, some steps were taken that were not quite fair, and made a great deal of mischief. —
成年后不久,采取了一些不太公平的行动,造成了很多麻烦。 —

Old Mr. Rochester and Mr. Rowland combined to bring Mr. Edward into what he considered a painful position, for the sake of making his fortune: —
老罗切斯特先生和罗兰先生合谋让爱德华先生陷入他认为痛苦的境地,为了他的财富。 —

what the precise nature of that position was I never clearly knew, but his spirit could not brook what he had to suffer in it. —
我从未清楚地知道这个境地的确切性质,但他的精神无法忍受他所遭受的痛苦。 —

He is not very forgiving: he broke with his family, and now for many years he has led an unsettled kind of life. —
他不太宽容:他与家人断绝关系,多年来过着不稳定的生活。 —

I don’t think he has ever been resident at Thornfield for a fortnight together, since the death of his brother without a will left him master of the estate; —
自从没有遗嘱的兄弟去世后,他成为了庄园的主人,我不认为他在索恩菲尔德住过两个星期。 —

and, indeed, no wonder he shuns the old place.”
“的确,他为何会避开那个地方,真是不难理解。”

“Why should he shun it?”
“他为何要回避呢?”

“Perhaps he thinks it gloomy.”
“也许他认为那里阴郁。”

The answer was evasive. I should have liked something clearer; —
这个回答有些含糊不清。我希望得到更明确的信息; —

but Mrs. Fairfax either could not, or would not, give me more explicit information of the origin and nature of Mr. Rochester’s trials. —
但是费尔法克斯太太要么不知道,要么不愿意告诉我罗切斯特先生的苦难的起源和性质。 —

She averred they were a mystery to herself, and that what she knew was chiefly from conjecture. —
她坚称这个故事对她来说是一个谜,她所知道的主要都是猜测。 —

It was evident, indeed, that she wished me to drop the subject, which I did accordingly.
很明显,她希望我不再谈论这个话题,于是我就如她所愿不再提起。