IN WHICH PASSEPARTOUT TALKS RATHER MORE, PERHAPS, THAN IS PRUDENT
在这一段中,帕斯帕图也许比明智的多说了一些话。

Fix soon rejoined Passepartout, who was lounging and looking about on the quay, as if he did not feel that he, at least, was obliged not to see anything.
菲克斯很快和帕斯帕图团聚了,帕斯帕图正在码头上懒散地四处张望,好像他至少不觉得自己有必要看什么。

“Well, my friend,” said the detective, coming up with him, “is your passport visaed?
“好了,我的朋友。”侦探走近他说道,“你的护照签证好了吗?”

“Ah, it’s you, is it, monsieur?” responded Passepartout. —
“啊,是您,先生?”帕斯帕图回答道。 —

“Thanks, yes, the passport is all right.”
“谢谢,是的,护照没问题。”

“And you are looking about you?”
“你在四处看看吗?”

“Yes; but we travel so fast that I seem to be journeying in a dream. So this is Suez?”
“是的,但我们旅行得如此快,我觉得自己像在梦中旅行一样。这就是苏伊士吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“In Egypt?”
“在埃及吗?”

“Certainly, in Egypt.”
“当然,在埃及。”

“And in Africa?”
“那在非洲呢?”

“In Africa.”
“在非洲。”

“In Africa!” repeated Passepartout. “Just think, monsieur, I had no idea that we should go farther than Paris; —
“在非洲!”帕斯帕图重复道。“想想看,先生,我根本没想到我们会去比巴黎还远的地方; —

and all that I saw of Paris was between twenty minutes past seven and twenty minutes before nine in the morning, between the Northern and the Lyons stations, through the windows of a car, and in a driving rain! —
我对巴黎的印象仅限于早上七点二十分到九点二十分之间,在北站和里昂站之间的车窗外,在倾盆大雨中看到的! —

How I regret not having seen once more Père la Chaise and the circus in the Champs Elysées!”
我多么后悔没有再去看看拉雪兹神父公墓和香榭丽舍大道上的马戏团!”

“You are in a great hurry, then?”
“那你们真是急匆匆的嘛?”

“I am not, but my master is. By the way, I must buy some shoes and shirts. —
“我不急,但我的主人很急。顺便说一句,我得买些鞋子和衬衫。 —

We came away without trunks, only with a carpet-bag.”
我们出门只带了一个旅行袋,没有带箱子。”

“I will show you an excellent shop for getting what you want.”
“我会给你介绍一家卖你所需物品的好店。”

“Really, monsieur, you are very kind.”
“真的,先生,你太好了。”

And they walked off together, Passepartout chatting volubly as they went along.
他们一起离开,帕斯帕图一路上滔滔不绝地讲着话。

“Above all,” said he; “don’t let me lose the steamer.”
“最重要的是,”他说,“别让我错过那艘船。”

“You have plenty of time; it’s only twelve o’clock.”
“你还有很多时间,现在才十二点。”

Passepartout pulled out his big watch. “Twelve!” he exclaimed; —
帕斯帕图从口袋中掏出了他的大表。“十二点!”他惊呼道; —

“why, it’s only eight minutes before ten.”
“为什么,现在才比十点之前八分钟。”

“Your watch is slow.”
“你的表慢了。”

“My watch? A family watch, monsieur, which has come down from my great-grandfather! —
“我的表?这是我们家传下来的,先生,是从我曾祖父那里传下来的! —

It doesn’t vary five minutes in the year. —
“一年中不会变化五分钟。 —

It’s a perfect chronometer, look you.”
“它是一只完美的计时器,看吧。”

“I see how it is,” said Fix. “You have kept London time, which is two hours behind that of Suez. You ought to regulate your watch at noon in each country.”
“我明白了,”菲克斯说。“你一直使用伦敦时间,而伦敦时间比苏伊士时间慢两小时。你应该在每个国家的中午校准你的表。”

“I regulate my watch? Never!”
“我校准我的表?决不!”

“Well, then, it will not agree with the sun.”
“嗯,那么,它将与太阳不一致。”

“So much the worse for the sun, monsieur. The sun will be wrong, then!”
“那对太阳来说就太糟糕了,先生。那就是太阳的错!”

And the worthy fellow returned the watch to its fob with a defiant gesture. —
这位可敬的人把表顶放回口袋,做出了对抗的手势。 —

After a few minutes silence, Fix resumed: —
经过几分钟的沉默,菲克斯又说: —

“You left London hastily, then?”
“那么你匆忙离开伦敦了?”

“I rather think so! Last Friday at eight o’clock in the evening, Monsieur Fogg came home from his club, and three-quarters of an hour afterwards we were off.”
“我想是的!上周五晚上八点钟,福格先生从俱乐部回家后,三刻钟后我们就出发了。”

“But where is your master going?”
“可是你的主人要去哪儿?”

“Always straight ahead. He is going round the world.”
“一直往前走。他要环游世界。”

“Round the world?” cried Fix.
“环游世界?”费克斯大声说道。

“Yes, and in eighty days! He says it is on a wager; —
“是的,而且要在80天内完成!他说这是一个赌约;” —

but, between us, I don’t believe a word of it. —
“但是,说实话,我一句都不信。” —

That wouldn’t be common sense. There’s something else in the wind.”
“这可不合常理。肯定还有别的事情。”

“Ah! Mr. Fogg is a character, is he?”
“啊!福格先生是个有个性的人?”

“I should say he was.”
“我可以这么说。”

“Is he rich?”
“他富有吗?”

“No doubt, for he is carrying an enormous sum in brand new banknotes with him. —
“毫无疑问,因为他随身携带了一大笔崭新的钞票。” —

And he doesn’t spare the money on the way, either: —
“而且在旅途中也不吝啬花钱: —

he has offered a large reward to the engineer of the ‘Mongolia’ if he gets us to Bombay well in advance of time.”
“他还向‘蒙古号’的工程师提出了巨额奖励,如果他提前将我们送到孟买。”

“And you have known your master a long time?”
“你认识你的主人很久了吗?”

“Why, no; I entered his service the very day we left London.”
“嗯,并不是;我是我们离开伦敦的那一天才开始服侍他的。”

The effect of these replies upon the already suspicious and excited detective may be imagined. —
可以想象这些回答对已经持怀疑和兴奋态度的侦探产生的影响。 —

The hasty departure from London soon after the robbery; the large sum carried by Mr. Fogg; —
在抢劫事件发生后匆忙离开伦敦;福格先生所携带的巨额资金;他渴望到达遥远的国家;一个古怪且鲁莽的赌注的借口——所有这些都证实了菲克斯的理论。 —

his eagerness to reach distant countries; —
他继续向可怜的帕斯帕图打探情况,并得知他对他的主人实际上知之甚少,谁在伦敦过着独居的生活,据说他很有钱,虽然没有人知道他的财富来自何处,而且他在事务和习惯上都是神秘和难以了解的。 —

the pretext of an eccentric and foolhardy bet—all confirmed Fix in his theory. —
菲克斯确信菲利斯·福格不会在苏伊士登陆,而是真的要前往孟买。 —

He continued to pump poor Passepartout, and learned that he really knew little or nothing of his master, who lived a solitary existence in London, was said to be rich, though no one knew whence came his riches, and was mysterious and impenetrable in his affairs and habits. —
“离这里孟买远吗?”帕斯帕图问道。 —

Fix felt sure that Phileas Fogg would not land at Suez, but was really going on to Bombay.
“相当远。乘船需要十天的航程。”

“Is Bombay far from here?” asked Passepartout.
“孟买在哪个国家?”

“Pretty far. It is a ten days’ voyage by sea.”
“在印度。”

“And in what country is Bombay?”
“在亚洲吗?”

“India.”
“当然。”

“In Asia?”
“天哪!我本来要告诉你有件事让我担心——我的煤气灶!”

“Certainly.”
“什么煤气灶?”

“The deuce! I was going to tell you there’s one thing that worries me—my burner!”
“我的煤气灶!”

“What burner?”
“啊,是了,没错!快点去修理吧。”

“My gas-burner, which I forgot to turn off, and which is at this moment burning at my expense. —
“忘记关掉的我燃烧的煤气炉,此刻正费尽心机地燃烧。 —

I have calculated, monsieur, that I lose two shillings every four and twenty hours, exactly sixpence more than I earn; —
先生,我计算过,我每24小时亏损两先令,比我赚的还要多6便士; —

and you will understand that the longer our journey—”
你会明白,我们的旅程越久——”

Did Fix pay any attention to Passepartout’s trouble about the gas? It is not probable. —
菲克斯对帕斯帕图特关于煤气的问题关心吗?这可能性不大。 —

He was not listening, but was cogitating a project. —
他没有在听,而是在考虑一个计划。 —

Passepartout and he had now reached the shop, where Fix left his companion to make his purchases, after recommending him not to miss the steamer, and hurried back to the consulate. —
帕斯帕图特和他现在已经到了商店,菲克斯让他的伙伴去购买物品后,忙着回到领事馆。 —

Now that he was fully convinced, Fix had quite recovered his equanimity.
现在他完全确信了,菲克斯恢复了平静。

“Consul,” said he, “I have no longer any doubt. I have spotted my man. —
“领事先生,”他说,“我不再怀疑了。我找到了我的目标。 —

He passes himself off as an odd stick who is going round the world in eighty days.”
他自称是个怪人,正在八十天内环游世界。”

“Then he’s a sharp fellow,” returned the consul, “and counts on returning to London after putting the police of the two countries off his track.”
“那他是个聪明人,”领事回答,“他打算在蒙混过关后返回伦敦,甩掉两国警察的追踪。”

“We’ll see about that,” replied Fix.
“我们拭目以待,”费克斯回答道。

“But are you not mistaken?”
“但你难道不是弄错了吗?”

“I am not mistaken.”
“我没有错。”

“Why was this robber so anxious to prove, by the visa, that he had passed through Suez?”
“这个强盗为什么急于通过塞得证明自己曾经经过苏伊士呢?”

“Why? I have no idea; but listen to me.”
“为什么呢?我不知道,但请听我说。”

He reported in a few words the most important parts of his conversation with Passepartout.
他简要地报告了自己与帕斯帕图之间对话的最重要部分。

“In short,” said the consul, “appearances are wholly against this man. —
“总之,”领事说,“所有的迹象都对这个人不利。” —

And what are you going to do?”
“那你打算怎么办?”

“Send a dispatch to London for a warrant of arrest to be dispatched instantly to Bombay, take passage on board the ‘Mongolia,’ follow my rogue to India, and there, on English ground, arrest him politely, with my warrant in my hand, and my hand on his shoulder.”
“发一封电报给伦敦警察局,让他们立即发出逮捕令交到孟买,乘坐‘蒙古号’追踪我的骗子到印度,在英国土地上客气地逮捕他,将逮捕令放在手上,手放在他的肩膀上。”

Having uttered these words with a cool, careless air, the detective took leave of the consul, and repaired to the telegraph office, whence he sent the dispatch which we have seen to the London police office. —
侦探以冷静无所谓的口气说完这些话后,向领事告别,去了电报局,从那里发出了我们看到的那条电报给伦敦警察局。 —

A quarter of an hour later found Fix, with a small bag in his hand, proceeding on board the “Mongolia; —
一个15分钟之后,费克斯手里拿着一个小包,正走上“蒙古号”; —

” and, ere many moments longer, the noble steamer rode out at full steam upon the waters of the Red Sea.
不多时,这艘豪华轮船以全速驶过红海的波浪。