Dorothy wept bitterly at the passing of her hope to get home to Kansas again;
多萝西痛苦地哭泣着,她希望能回到堪萨斯家乡的希望就这样破灭了; —

but when she thought it all over she was glad she had not gone up in a balloon.
但是当她仔细想过之后,她庆幸自己没有乘坐气球上天; —

And she also felt sorry at losing Oz, and so did her companions.
她也为失去奥兹感到遗憾,她的伙伴们也是如此。

The Tin Woodman came to her and said:
铁皮人走到她面前说: —

“Truly I should be ungrateful if I failed to mourn for the man who gave me my lovely heart.
“如果我不为给我这颗美丽的心的人哀悼,那我将是忘恩负义的。 —

I should like to cry a little because Oz is gone, if you will kindly wipe away my tears, so that I shall not rust.”
如果你能擦去我眼泪,我很想为失去奥兹而哭泣一会儿,这样我就不会生锈了。”

“With pleasure,” she answered, and brought a towel at once.
“我很乐意”,她回答,并立刻拿来了一块毛巾。 —

Then the Tin Woodman wept for several minutes, and she watched the tears carefully and wiped them away with the towel.
然后铁皮人哭了好几分钟,她仔细地看着眼泪,用毛巾擦去它们。 —

When he had finished, he thanked her kindly and oiled himself thoroughly with his jeweled oil-can, to guard against mishap.
当他完成之后,他亲切地感谢她,并用镶宝石的油罐彻底涂抹自己,以防止意外事故。

The Scarecrow was now the ruler of the Emerald City, and although he was not a Wizard the people were proud of him.
稻草人现在成为了翡翠城的统治者,虽然他不是一个巫师,但人们为他感到骄傲。

“For,” they said, “there is not another city in all the world that is ruled by a stuffed man.” And, so far as they knew, they were quite right.
他们说,“因为在世界上没有另一个城市是由一个填充人来统治的。” 就据他们所知,他们是完全正确的。

The morning after the balloon had gone up with Oz, the four travelers met in the Throne Room and talked matters over.
翡翠城的统治者是稻草人,气球带着奥兹离开的那天早上,四个旅行者在王座厅碰面并商讨事务。 —

The Scarecrow sat in the big throne and the others stood respectfully before him.
稻草人坐在大王座上,其他人恭敬地站在他面前。

“We are not so unlucky,” said the new ruler, “for this Palace and the Emerald City belong to us, and we can do just as we please.
“我们没有那么倒霉,”新的统治者说,“因为这座宫殿和翡翠城属于我们,我们可以随心所欲。 —

When I remember that a short time ago I was up on a pole in a farmer’s cornfield, and that now I am the ruler of this beautiful City, I am quite satisfied with my lot.”
当我记得不久之前我还站在农场的一根杆子上,而现在我是这个美丽城市的统治者时,我对自己的处境感到非常满意。”

“I also,” said the Tin Woodman, “am well-pleased with my new heart; and, really, that was the only thing I wished in all the world.”
“我也很满意。”铁皮人说,“拥有新心,这是我世界上唯一的愿望。”

“For my part, I am content in knowing I am as brave as any beast that ever lived, if not braver,” said the Lion modestly.
“对我来说,只要知道自己勇敢得像任何曾经存在的野兽,甚至更勇敢,我就很满足了。”狮子谦虚地说道。

“If Dorothy would only be contented to live in the Emerald City,” continued the Scarecrow, “we might all be happy together.”
“如果多萝茜愿意留在绿宝城,”稻草人继续说道,“我们或许都可以一起快乐。”

“But I don’t want to live here,” cried Dorothy.
“但是我不想住在这儿,”多萝茜喊道, —

“I want to go to Kansas, and live with Aunt Em and Uncle Henry.”
“我想回堪萨斯州,和艾姨和亨利伯伯住在一起。”

“Well, then, what can be done?” inquired the Woodman.
“那么,有什么办法可行呢?”木匠问道。

The Scarecrow decided to think, and he thought so hard that the pins and needles began to stick out of his brains.
稻草人决定思考,他思考得如此用力,以至于脑子里的饼干釘和尖针开始探出来。 —

Finally he said:
最后他说道:

“Why not call the Winged Monkeys, and ask them to carry you over the desert?”
“为什么不叫来翅膀猴子,让它们把你带过沙漠呢?”

“I never thought of that!” said Dorothy joyfully.
“我从来没有想过!”多萝茜兴奋地说道, —

“It’s just the thing.
“这真是太好了。 —

I’ll go at once for the Golden Cap.”
我马上去拿金色帽子。”

When she brought it into the Throne Room she spoke the magic words, and soon the band of Winged Monkeys flew in through the open window and stood beside her.
当她把它带进王座室时,她说出了魔法咒语,不久,一群带翅膀的猴子从敞开的窗户飞进来,并站在她身边。

“This is the second time you have called us,” said the Monkey King, bowing before the little girl.
猴王鞠躬向小女孩表示:“这是你第二次召唤我们了,你有什么愿望? —

“What do you wish?”

“I want you to fly with me to Kansas,” said Dorothy. But the Monkey King shook his head.
多萝西说:“我想要你们陪我一起飞到堪萨斯。”但猴王摇了摇头。

“That cannot be done,” he said.
“那是不可能的,”他说, —

“We belong to this country alone, and cannot leave it.
“我们只属于这个国家,不能离开。” —

There has never been a Winged Monkey in Kansas yet, and I suppose there never will be, for they don’t belong there.
堪萨斯从来没有过一只有翅膀的猴子,我想这永远也不会发生,因为它们不属于那里。 —

We shall be glad to serve you in any way in our power, but we cannot cross the desert.
“我们很乐意在我们能力范围内为你服务,但我们无法穿越沙漠。 —

Good-bye.”
再见。”

And with another bow, the Monkey King spread his wings and flew away through the window, followed by all his band.
然后,猴王向窗外扇动翅膀飞走了,他的一众部下紧随其后。 —

Dorothy was ready to cry with disappointment.
多萝西失望得几乎要哭出来。 —

“I have wasted the charm of the Golden Cap to no purpose,” she said,
“我浪费了金色帽子的魔力,”她说道,

“for the Winged Monkeys cannot help me.”
“因为翅膀猴子无法帮助我。”

“It is certainly too bad!” said the tender-hearted Woodman.
“真是太糟糕了!”心地善良的木匠说道。 —

The Scarecrow was thinking again, and his head bulged out so horribly that Dorothy feared it would burst.
稻草人又在思考,他的头变得扭曲得很可怕,多萝西担心它会爆炸。

“Let us call in the soldier with the green whiskers,” he said, “and ask his advice.”
“我们去找那个有绿胡子的士兵吧,”他说,“问问他的建议。”

So the soldier was summoned and entered the Throne Room timidly, for while Oz was alive he never was allowed to come farther than the door.
于是士兵被召唤进来,小心翼翼地走进王座室,因为只要奥兹还活着,他从来不能走得比门口更近。

“This little girl,” said the Scarecrow to the soldier, “wishes to cross the desert.
“这位小姑娘,”稻草人对士兵说,“想要穿越沙漠。 —

How can she do so?”
她怎么做呢?”

“I cannot tell,” answered the soldier, “for nobody has ever crossed the desert, unless it is Oz himself.”
“我不知道,”士兵回答,“因为除非是奥兹本人,没人能穿过沙漠。”

“Is there no one who can help me?” asked Dorothy earnestly.
“难道没有人能帮助我吗?”多萝西认真地问道。

“Glinda might,” he suggested.
“格琳达或许可以,”稻草人建议道。

“Who is Glinda?” inquired the Scarecrow.
“格琳达是谁?”稻草人问。

“The Witch of the South. She is the most powerful of all the Witches, and rules over the Quadlings.
“南方女巫。她是所有女巫中最强大的,统治着奎德林人。 —

Besides, her castle stands on the edge of the desert, so she may know a way to cross it.”
而且,她的城堡就在沙漠边缘,所以她可能知道一种穿越它的方法。”

“Glinda is a Good Witch, isn’t she?” asked the child.
“格琳达是个善良的女巫,对吗?”小女孩问道。

“The Quadlings think she is good,” said the soldier, “and she is kind to everyone.
“四圣城的人认为她是善良的,”士兵说,“她对每个人都很友善。” —

I have heard that Glinda is a beautiful woman, who knows how to keep young in spite of the many years she has lived.”
我听说格琳达是一个美丽的女人,她知道如何在许多岁月里保持年轻。”

“How can I get to her castle?” asked Dorothy.
“我怎样才能到她的城堡?”多萝西问道。

“The road is straight to the South,” he answered, “but it is said to be full of dangers to travelers.
“道路一直朝南直走,”他回答道,“但据说对旅行者来说充满了危险。 —

There are wild beasts in the woods, and a race of queer men who do not like strangers to cross their country.
在森林中有野兽,还有一群奇怪的人,他们不喜欢陌生人穿过他们的国家。 —

For this reason none of the Quadlings ever come to the Emerald City.”
因此,四圣城的人从来不来神秘城市。”

The soldier them left them and the Scarecrow said:
士兵离开了他们,稻草人说: —

“It seems, in spite of dangers, that the best thing Dorothy can do is to travel to the Land of the South and ask Glinda to help her.
“尽管有危险,但多萝西最好的选择是前往南方之地,请求格琳达帮助她。 —

For, of course, if Dorothy stays here she will never
因为,当然,如果多萝西留在这里,她将永远回不到堪萨斯。”

get back to Kansas.”
“你又在思考了,”铁木人评论道。

“You must have been thinking again,” remarked the Tin Woodman.
“是的,”稻草人说。

“I have,” said the Scarecrow.
“你在思考些什么?”多萝西问道。

“I shall go with Dorothy,” declared the Lion, “for I am tired of your city and long for the woods and the country again.
“我将和多萝西一起去,”狮子宣布道,“因为我已经厌倦了你们的城市,渴望回到森林和乡村。” —

I am really a wild beast, you know. Besides, Dorothy will need someone to protect her.”
“你知道,我其实是一只野兽。此外,多萝西会需要有人保护她。”

“That is true,” agreed the Woodman.
“没错,”木人赞同道, —

“My axe may be of service to her;
“我的斧头可能会对她有帮助, —

so I also will go with her to the Land of the South.”
所以我也会和她一起去南方的土地。”

“When shall we start?” asked the Scarecrow.
“我们什么时候出发?”稻草人问道。

“Are you going?” they asked, in surprise.
“你们也要去?”他们惊讶地问道。

“Certainly. If it wasn’t for Dorothy I should never have had brains.
“当然。如果不是多萝西,我就无法拥有大脑了。” —

She lifted me from the pole in the cornfield and brought me to the Emerald City. So my good luck is all due to her, and I shall never leave her until she starts back to Kansas for good and all.”

“Thank you,” said Dorothy gratefully.
“她把我从玉米地的杆子上解救出来, —

“You are all very kind to me.
带我来到翡翠城。所以我的好运完全归功于她, —

But I should like to start as soon as possible.”
我绝不会离开她,直到她彻底回到堪萨斯。”

“We shall go tomorrow morning,” returned the Scarecrow.
“谢谢你们,”多萝西感激地说道,“你们对我都非常友善。但是我希望尽快出发。”

“So now let us all get ready, for it will be a long journey.”
“我们明天早上出发,”稻草人回答道。