NEXT MORNING THE Scarecrow said to his friends:
第二天早上,稻草人对他的朋友们说:“祝贺我吧。我要去奥兹国,终于得到我的智慧。当我回来时,我将和其他人一样。”

“Congratulate me. I am going to Oz to get my brains at last.
“我一直喜欢你是你自己的样子, —

When I return I shall be as other men are.”
”多萝西简单地说道。

“I have always liked you as you were,” said Dorothy simply.
“你能喜欢一个稻草人真是太好了,”他回答道。“但当你听到我全新大脑产生的辉煌想法时,你肯定会更加看重我。”

“It is kind of you to like a Scarecrow,” he replied. “But surely you will think more of me when you hear the splendid thoughts my new brain is going to turn out.” Then he said good-bye to them all in a cheerful voice and went to the Throne Room, where he rapped upon the door.
然后他用欢快的声音和他们都告别,走进了王座厅,敲响了门。“进来,”奥兹说道。

“Come in,” said Oz.
稻草人走了进去,发现这个小人正坐在窗边,陷入深思。

The Scarecrow went in and found the little man sitting down by the window, engaged in deep thought.
“我来取我的智慧,”稻草人有点不安地说道。

“I have come for my brains,” remarked the Scarecrow, a little uneasily.
“哦,是的;请坐在那把椅子上,”奥兹回答道。“你要原谅我把你的头拿掉,但是为了把你的智慧放到正确的位置上,我必须这么做。”

“Oh, yes; sit down in that chair, please,” replied Oz. “You must excuse me for taking your head off, but I shall have to do it in order to put your brains in their proper place.”
请注意,在把握你译员的智慧时,坐在正确的位置上。

“That’s all right,” said the Scarecrow.
“没关系,”稻草人说。 —

“You are quite welcome to take my head off, as long as it will be a better one when you put it on again.”
“只要你在重新戴上我的头之前能够变得更好,你就可以把它拿下来。”

So the Wizard unfastened his head and emptied out the straw.
于是,巫师解开他的头并倒出稻草。 —

Then he entered the back room and took up a measure of bran, which he mixed with a great many pins and needles.
然后,他进入后房间,拿起一定量的麸皮,加上许多针和针线。

Having shaken them together thoroughly, he filled the top of the Scarecrow’s head with the mixture and stuffed the rest of the space with straw, to hold it in place.
他把它们充分摇匀后,用这个混合物填满了稻草人头的顶部,然后用稻草填满其余空间,让混合物固定在那里。 —

When he had fastened the Scarecrow’s head on his body again he said to him, “Hereafter you will be a great man, for I have given you a lot of bran-new brains.”
当他重新把稻草人的头扣在身体上后,他对他说:“从现在开始,你将成为一个伟大的人,因为我给你带来了崭新的大脑。”

The Scarecrow was both pleased and proud at the fulfillment of his greatest wish, and having thanked Oz warmly he went back to his friends.
稻草人对他最大的愿望的实现感到高兴和自豪,他向奥兹热情地道谢后回到了他的朋友们身边。 —

Dorothy looked at him curiously.
多萝西好奇地看着他。 —

His head was quite bulged out at the top with brains.
他的头顶上被大脑撑得鼓鼓的。

“How do you feel?” she asked.
“你感觉怎么样?”她问道。

“I feel wise indeed,” he answered earnestly.
“我确实感到很有智慧,”他诚恳地回答道。 —

“When I get used to my brains I shall know everything.”
“当我习惯了我的大脑,我将会知道一切。”

“Why are those needles and pins sticking out of your head?” asked the Tin Woodman.
铁皮人问道:“为什么你脑袋上有那些针和大头针?”

“That is proof that he is sharp,” remarked the Lion.
狮子评论说:“这证明了他很精明。”

“Well, I must go to Oz and get my heart,” said the Woodman. So he walked to the Throne Room and knocked at the door.
“好吧,我必须去奥兹寻找我的心脏,”铁皮人说道。于是他走向王座室并敲了门。

“Come in,” called Oz, and the Woodman entered and said,
奥兹叫道:“进来吧。”铁皮人走进来说,

“I have come for my heart.”
“我来取回我的心脏。”

“Very well,” answered the little man.
小人回答说:“很好, —

“But I shall have to cut a hole in your breast, so I can put your heart in the right place.
但是我得在你的胸膛上开一个洞,这样才能把你的心脏放到正确的位置。 —

I hope it won’t hurt you.”
希望这样不会疼。”

“Oh, no,” answered the Woodman.
“哦,不会的,”铁皮人回答。 —

“I shall not feel it at all.”
“我一点都不会感觉到。”

So Oz brought a pair of tinsmith’s shears and cut a small, square hole in the left side of the Tin Woodman’s breast.
于是奥兹拿来一个锡匠的剪刀,在铁皮人的左胸膛上剪了一个小小的正方形洞。 —

Then, going to a chest of drawers, he took out a pretty heart, made entirely of silk and stuffed with sawdust.
然后,他从一个抽屉里拿出了一个漂亮的心脏,完全由丝绸制成,用锯末填充。

“Isn’t it a beauty?” he asked.
“漂亮吧?”他问道。

“It is, indeed!” replied the Woodman, who was greatly pleased.
“确实漂亮!”铁皮人非常高兴地回答道。“但是这是一颗善良的心吗? —

“But is it a kind heart?”

“Oh, very!” answered Oz. He put the heart in the Woodman’s breast and then replaced the square of tin, soldering it neatly together where it had been cut.
“噢,非常好!”奥兹回答道。他把心脏放在铁匠的胸腔里,然后把原来被割开的锡制正方形补上并焊接得很整齐。

“There,” said he; “now you have a heart that any man might be proud of.
“好了,”他说,“现在你有了一个任何人都会为之自豪的心脏。” —

I’m sorry I had to put a patch on your breast, but it really couldn’t be helped.”
“很抱歉我不得不在你的胸前补了一个补丁,但实在是无可奈何。”

“Never mind the patch,” exclaimed the happy Woodman.
“不用介意那个补丁,”开心的锡人叫道, —

“I am very grateful to you, and shall never forget your kindness.”
“我非常感谢你,永远不会忘记你的好意。”

“Don’t speak of it,” replied Oz.
“不要提了,”奥兹回答道。

Then the Tin Woodman went back to his friends, who wished him every joy on account of his good fortune.
然后,锡人返回了他的朋友那里,他们为他的好运祝福他一切幸福。 —

The Lion now walked to the Throne Room and knocked at the door.
狮子现在走到了王座房间,敲开了门。

“Come in,” said Oz.
“进来,”奥兹说道。

“I have come for my courage,” announced the Lion, entering the room.
“我来取我的勇气,”狮子宣布着,走进了房间。

“Very well,” answered the little man;
“很好,”小人回答道, —

“I will get it for you.”
“我给你拿来。”

He went to a cupboard and reaching up to a high shelf took down a square green bottle, the contents of which he poured into a green-gold dish, beautifully carved.
他走到一个橱柜前,伸手够上高高的架子,拿下了一个方形的绿色瓶子,把里面的内容倒进了一个雕刻精美的绿金色盘子里。 —

Placing this before the Cowardly Lion, who sniffed at it as if he did not like it, the Wizard said:
将它放在胆小的狮子面前,狮子瞪大眼睛闻了闻,看起来好像不喜欢它,巫师说道:

“Drink.”
“喝吧。”

“What is it?” asked the Lion.
“这是什么?”狮子问道。

“Well,” answered Oz, “if it were inside of you, it would be courage. You know, of course, that courage is always inside one;
“嗯,”奥兹回答道,“如果它在你的内心深处,那它就是勇气。当然你知道,勇气总是存在于一个人的内心深处; —

so that this really cannot be called courage until you have swallowed it.
所以,只有当你吞下它时,这才能称为勇气。 —

Therefore I advise you to drink it as soon as possible.”
因此,我建议你尽快喝下它。”

The Lion hesitated no longer, but drank till the dish was empty.
狮子毫不犹豫,一直喝到碗里的东西喝完。

“How do you feel now?” asked Oz.
“你现在感觉如何?”奥兹问道。

“Full of courage,” replied the Lion, who went joyfully back to his friends to tell them of his good fortune.
“充满了勇气,”狮子回答道,高兴地回到朋友们那里,告诉他们自己的好运。 —

Oz, left to himself, smiled to think of his success in giving the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman and the Lion exactly what they thought they wanted.
奥兹独自一人,笑着想着自己成功地给稻草人、铁皮人和狮子他们正要的东西。 —

“How can I help being a humbug,” he said, “when all these people make me do things that everybody knows can’t be done?
“当所有这些人让我做明明不可能做到的事情时,我怎么能不成为一个骗子呢?”他说道。 —

It was easy to make the Scarecrow and the Lion and the Woodman happy, because they imagined I could do anything.
让稻草人、狮子和铁皮人开心是很容易的,因为他们认为我什么都可以做到。 —

But it will take more than imagination to carry Dorothy back to Kansas, and I’m sure I don’t know how it can be done.”
但是仅凭想象力是不足以将多萝西带回堪萨斯的,我也不知道如何做到。