The Countess stood motionless and speechless, but she held the `ill in her fingers.
伯爵夫人一动不动,一言不发,但她手中紧握着信件。

“Delphine,” she said, with a white face, and her whole frame quivering with indignation, anger, and rage, “I forgave you everything; —
“德尔菲娜,”她脸色苍白,全身颤抖着愤怒、愤恨和愤怒,“我原谅了你的一切; —

God is my witness that I forgave you, but I cannot forgive this! —
上帝是我的见证,我原谅了你,但我无法原谅这个! —

So this gentleman was there all the time, and you knew it! —
所以,这位绅士一直在那里,而你知道! —

Your petty spite has let you to wreak your vengeance on me by betraying my secrets, my life, my children’s lives, my shame, my honor! —
你的小心眼导致你出卖了我的秘密,我的生活,我的孩子们的生命,我的羞辱,我的荣誉! —

There, you are nothing to me any longer. I hate you. —
所以,你对我来说一无是处。我恨你。 —

I will do all that I can to injure you. I will …”
我会尽一切努力伤害你。我会……”

Anger paralyzed her; the words died in her dry parched throat.
愤怒使她麻痹了;话语在她干燥的喉咙里消失了。

“Why, he is my son, my child; he is your brother, your preserver!” cried Goriot. —
“她是我的儿子,我的孩子;他是你的兄弟,你的救命恩人!”戈里奥喊道。 —

“Kiss his hand, Nasie! Stay, I will embrace him myself,” he said, straining Eugene to his breast in a frenzied clasp. —
“吻吻他的手,娜茜!等等,我要亲自拥抱他,”他说着,狂热地拥抱着尤金。 —

“Oh my boy! I will be more than a father to you; —
“哦,我的孩子!我会对你更胜于父亲; —

if I had God’s power, I would fling worlds at your feet. —
如果我有上帝的力量,我会在你脚下摔坠星球。 —

Why don’t you kiss him, Nasie? He is not a man, but an angel, a angel out of heaven.”
你为什么不吻他,娜茜?他不是一个人,而是一个天使,一个从天堂来的天使。”

“Never mind her, father; she is mad just now.”
“不要在意她,父亲;她现在有点疯狂。”

“Mad! am I? And what are you?” cried Mme. de Restaud.
“疯狂!我吗?那你是什么?”瑞斯托夫夫人大喊。

“Children, children, I shall die if you go on like this,” cried the old man, and he staggered and fell on the bed as if a bullet had struck him. —
“孩子们,孩子们,如果你们继续这样下去我会死的,”老人叫道,他摇摇晃晃地倒在床上,仿佛中了一枪。 —

–“They are killing me between them,” he said to himself.
“他们在用这种方式杀死我,”他心里想。

The Countess fixed her eyes on Eugene, who stood stock still; —
伯爵夫人盯着站在那里一动不动的尤金; —

all his faculties were numbed by this violent scene.
他被这场激烈的场面所麻痹,一切能动的能力都似已丧失。

“Sir? …” she said, doubt and inquiry in her face, tone, and bearing; —
“先生?……”她说,脸上、语气和举止中满是怀疑和询问; —

she took no notice now of her father nor of Delphine, who was hastily unfastening his waistcoat.
她现在不再理会她父亲以及正在急匆匆解开他背心的德尔菲娜。

“Madame,” said Eugene, answering the question before it was asked, “I will meet the bill, and keep silence about it.”
“夫人,”尤金回答尚未提出的问题,”我会支付这张票,对此我会保持沉默。

“You have killed our father, Nasie!” said Delphine, pointing to Goriot, who lay unconscious on the bed. The Countess fled.
“你杀了我们的父亲,娜茜!”德尔菲娜指着躺在床上失去知觉的戈里奥。伯爵夫人逃走了。

“I freely forgive her,” said the old man, opening his eyes; “her position is horrible; —
“我会真心原谅她,”老人睁开眼睛说道,”她的处境是可怕的; —

it would turn an older head than hers. Comfort Nasie, and be nice to her, Delphine; —
比她更年长的人也会被击垮。安慰一下娜茜,善待她,德尔菲娜; —

promise it to your poor father before he dies,” he asked, holding Delphine’s hand in a convulsive clasp.
在我死之前,答应你可怜的父亲这一点,”他请求着,紧紧握住德尔菲娜的手。

“Oh! what ails you, father?” she cried in real alarm.
“哦!你怎么了,父亲?”她真的感到了恐慌。

“Nothing, nothing,” said Goriot; “it will go off. —
“没事,没事,”戈里奥说,”会好的。 —

There is something heavy pressing on my forehead, a little headache. . —
我的额头好像有什么沉重的东西在压迫,有点头痛。 —

. . Ah! poor Nasie, what a life lies before her!”
啊!可怜的娜茜,她面前还有多么痛苦的生活!”

Just as he spoke, the Countess came back again and flung herself on her knees before him. —
正当他说话时,伯爵夫人又回来了,扑通一声跪在他面前。 —

“Forgive me!” she cried.
“原谅我!”她喊道。

“Come,” said her father, “you are hurting me still more.”
“来吧,”她父亲说,“你让我更受伤了。”

“Monsieur,” the Countess said, turning to Rastignac, “misery made me unjust to you. —
“先生,”伯爵夫人转向拉斯底尼亚克说,“困苦使我对你不公。 —

You will be a brother to me, will you not?” —
你会成为我兄弟,对吗? —

and she held out her hand. Her eyes were full of tears as she spoke.
她说着伸出手来。她说话时眼里满是泪水。

“Nasie,” cried Delphine, flinging her arms round her sister, “my little Nasie, let us forget and forgive.”
“娜西,”德尔芬扑到她妹妹身上喊道,“我的小娜西,让我们忘记和原谅吧。”

“No, no,” cried Nasie; “I shall never forget!”
“不,不,”娜西喊道,“我永远不会忘记!”

“Dear angels,” cried Goriot, “it is as if a dark curtain over my eyes had been raised; —
“亲爱的天使们,”戈里奥喊道,“我的眼前仿佛掀起了一道黑幕; —

your voices have called me back to life. Kiss each other once more. —
你们的声音唤醒了我。再亲吻对方一次。 —

Well, now, Nasie, that bill will save you, won’t it?”
好了,娜西,那张单据会救你的,对吗?”

“I hope so. I say, papa, will you write your name on it?”
“我希望如此。我说,爸爸,你能在上面签个名吗?”

“There! how stupid of me to forget that! But I am not feeling at all well, Nasie, so you must not remember it against me. —
“哎呀!真愚蠢,我居然忘了这个!但我现在感觉很不舒服,娜西,所以你不要记恨我。 —

Send and let me know as soon as you are out of your strait. No, I will go to you. —
一旦你摆脱困境,马上告诉我。不,我会去找你。 —

No, after all, I will not go; I might meet your husband, and I should kill him on the spot. —
不,终究我不会去;我可能会遇到你丈夫,我会当场杀了他。 —

And as for signing away your property, I shall have a word to say about that. —
至于签署产权,我对此还有话要说。 —

Quick, my child, and keep Maxime in order in future.”
快去,孩子,以后要管好Maxime。

Eugene was too bewildered to speak.
尊亚当钦太迷惑,无法开口。

“Poor Anastasie, she always had a violent temper,” said Mme. de Nucingen, “but she has a good heart.”
“可怜的安娜斯蒂丝,她总是脾气暴躁,”牛爵夫人说道,”但她心地善良。”

“She came back for the endorsement,” said Eugene in Delphine’s ear.
“她回来是为了背书,“尤金在德尔芬耳边说。

“Do you think so?”
“你这么认为吗?”

“I only wish I could think otherwise. Do not trust her,” he answered, raising his eyes as if he confided to heaven the thoughts that he did not venture to express.
“我只希望我能有不同的想法。不要相信她,“他抬起眼睛,仿佛在向上天倾诉他不敢表达的想法。

“Yes. She is always acting a part to some extent.”
“是的。她总是在某种程度上在表演一个角色。”

“How do you feel now, dear Father Goriot?” asked Rastignac.
“亲爱的戈里奥先生,你现在感觉怎么样?“拉斯泰尼亚克问道。

“I should like to go to sleep,” he replied.
“我想睡觉,”他回答。

Eugene helped him to bed, and Delphine sat by the bedside, holding his hand until he fell asleep. Then she went.
尤金帮他躺下,德尔芬坐在床边,握着他的手直到他入睡。然后她离开了。

“This evening at the Italiens,” she said to Eugene, “and you can let me know how he is. —
“今晚在意大利歌剧院,“她对尤金说,”你可以告诉我他的情况。 —

To-morrow you will leave this place, monsieur. Let us go into your room.–Oh! how frightful!” —
“明天你将离开这个地方,先生。让我们去你的房间。–哦!多可怕!” —

she cried on the threshold. “Why, you are even worse lodged than our father. —
她走到门槛处喊道。”为什么你的房间甚至比我们的父亲还差。 —

Eugene, you have behaved well. I would love you more if that were possible; —
尤金,你表现得很好。如果可能的话,我会更爱你。 —

but, dear boy, if you are to succeed in life, you must not begin by flinging twelve thousand francs out of the windows like that. —
但是,亲爱的孩子,如果你想在生活中成功,就不应该像那样把一万二千法郎从窗户里扔出去。 —

The Comte de Trailles is a confirmed gambler. My sister shuts her eyes to it. —
特拉耶伯爵是一个彻底的赌徒。我妹妹选择视而不见。 —

He would have made the twelve thousand francs in the same way that he wins and loses heaps of gold.”
他会用同样的方式赚取这一万二千法郎,就像他赢得和输掉一堆金子一样。

A groan from the next room brought them back to Goriot’s bedside; —
隔壁房间传来一声呻吟,把他们带回到了戈里奥的床边; —

to all appearances he was asleep, but the two lovers caught the words, “They are not happy!” —
从表面上看,他正在睡觉,但这两位恋人听到了“他们不幸福!”这句话。 —

Whether he was awake or sleeping, the tone in which they were spoken went to his daughter’s heart. —
无论他是醒着还是睡着,说这句话的语气都触动了他女儿的心。 —

She stole up to the pallet-bed on which her father lay, and kissed his forehead. —
她悄悄走到她父亲躺着的小床旁,亲吻了他的额头。 —

He opened his eyes.
他睁开了眼睛。

“Ah! Delphine!” he said.
“啊!德尔菲娜!”他说。

“How are you now?” she asked.
“你现在怎么样?”她问。

“Quite comfortable. Do not worry about me; I shall get up presently. —
“很舒服。不要担心我;我一会儿就会起来的。 —

Don’t stay with me, children; go, go and be happy.”
不要和我待在一起,孩子们;去吧,去过你们的快乐生活。”

Eugene went back with Delphine as far as her door; —
尤金陪着德尔菲娜走到她的房门口; —

but he was not easy about Goriot, and would not stay to dinner, as she proposed. —
但他对戈里奥并不放心,拒绝了她提出的吃晚饭邀约。 —

He wanted to be back at the Maison Vauquer. —
他想赶回瓦克旅馆。 —

Father Goriot had left his room, and was just sitting down to dinner as he came in. —
离开了他的房间,戈里奥夫人刚坐下来吃晚餐时,他走进来。 —

Bianchon had placed himself where he could watch the old man carefully; —
比昂雄已经把自己放在一个可以仔细观察老人的位置; —

and when the old vermicelli maker took up his square of bread and smelled it to find out the quality of the flour, the medical student, studying him closely, saw that the action was purely mechanical, and shook his head.
当老意大利细面制造商拿起他的一块面包并闻了闻,试探出面粉的质量时,这位医学生根据他细致地观察老人的动作,看到这种动作纯粹是机械化的,便摇了摇头。

“Just come and sit over here, hospitaller of Cochin,” said Eugene.
“来坐到这边来吧,库欣修道士,”尤金说。

Bianchon went the more willingly because his change of place brought him next to the old lodger.
比昂雄更乐意地过来了,因为换了位置之后他就坐在了老房客旁边。

“What is wrong with him?” asked Rastignac.
“他有什么问题?”拉斯特涅克问道。

“It is all up with him, or I am much mistaken! Something very extraordinary must have taken place; —
“他已经没救了,否则我大错特错!肯定发生了非常特别的事情; —

he looks to me as if he were in imminent danger of serous apoplexy. —
在我看来,他看起来即将发生严重的中风。 —

The lower part of his face is composed enough, but the upper part is drawn and distorted. —
他的下颚看起来很平静,但上部却扭曲了。 —

Then there is that peculiar look about the eyes that indicates an effusion of serum in the brain; —
然后他那种独特的眼神,表明大脑里有血清流出; —

they look as though they were covered with a film of fine dust, do you notice? —
看起来他们好像被一层细尘覆盖,你有没有注意到? —

I shall know more about it by to-morrow morning.”
到明天早晨我会更清楚。

“Is there any cure for it?”
“有什么办法治疗吗?”

“None. It might be possible to stave death off for a time if a way could be found of setting up a reaction in the lower extremities; —
“没有。如果能找到一种方法在下肢引起反应,或许能暂时延缓死亡; —

but if the symptoms do not abate by to-morrow evening, it will be all over with him, poor old fellow! —
但如果症状到明天晚上没有减轻,那老人就完了!可怜的老人!” —

Do you know what has happened to bring this on? —
你知道是什么导致这种情况发生了吗? —

There must have been some violent shock, and his mind has given way.”
肯定发生了某种剧烈的冲击,导致他的心智失常。

“Yes, there was,” said Rastignac, remembering how the two daughters had struck blow on blow at their father’s heart.
“是的,确实发生了,“拉斯坦尼亚克说,记得两个女儿是如何一次又一次地打击着父亲的心。

“But Delphine at any rate loves her father,” he said to himself.
“但至少德尔菲娜是爱她父亲的,“他自言自语道。

That evening at the opera Rastignac chose his words carefully, lest he should give Mme. de Nucingen needless alarm.
那天晚上在歌剧院,拉斯坦尼亚克谨慎地选择措辞,以免让努星进大太太不必要地担心。

“Do not be anxious about him,” she said, however, as soon as Eugene began, “our father has really a strong constitution, but this morning we gave him a shock. —
“不要为他担心,“然而,尤金一开始说话时,”我们的父亲真的有很强的体质,但今天早上我们给了他一次打击。 —

Our whole fortunes were in peril, so the thing was serious, you see. —
我们的整个财产都岌岌可危,所以这件事很严重,你懂的。 —

I could not live if your affection did not make me insensible to troubles that I should once have thought too hard to bear. —
如果没有你的爱让我对那些曾经我认为无法承受的痛苦变得麻木,我就无法生存。 —

At this moment I have but one fear left, but one misery to dread–to lose the love that has made me feel glad to live. —
此刻我只剩一种恐惧,一种要担忧的痛苦——失去让我感到愉悦活着的爱。 —

Everything else is as nothing to me compared with our love; —
与我们的爱相比,其他一切对我来说都微不足道; —

I care for nothing else, for you are all the world to me. —
我不在乎其他任何事,因为你对我来说就是整个世界。 —

If I feel glad to be rich, it is for your sake. —
如果我对富有感到高兴,那是为了你。 —

To my shame be it said, I think of my lover before my father. Do you ask why? —
惭愧地说,我在想我的情人之前想到了父亲。你会问为什么? —

I cannot tell you, but all my life is in you. —
我无法告诉你,但我的整个生命都在你身上。 —

My father gave me a heart, but you have taught it to beat. The whole world may condemn me; —
我的父亲赐予我一颗心,而你教会了它跳动。整个世界可以谴责我; —

what does it matter if I stand acquitted in your eyes, for you have no right to think ill of me for the faults which a tyrannous love has forced me to commit for you! —
在你眼中我是否被免于罪名并不重要,因为你无权因我为你所犯下的罪行而对我产生恶感,这是一段强加在我身上的爱所迫使我做的! —

Do you think me an unnatural daughter? Oh! —
你是否认为我是一个不合情理的女儿?哦! —

no, no one could help loving such a dear kind father as ours. —
不,没有人能不爱我们这样一个亲爱善良的父亲。 —

But how could I hide the inevitable consequences of our miserable marriages from him? —
但我如何能把我们悲惨婚姻的不可避免后果藏起来不让他知道呢? —

Why did he allow us to marry when we did? Was it not his duty to think for us and foresee for us? —
为什么他允许我们在那个时候结婚?他不该替我们考虑和预见吗? —

To-day I know he suffers as much as we do, but how can it be helped? —
如今我知道他像我们一样受苦,但又能如何呢? —

And as for comforting him, we could not comfort him in the least. —
至于安慰他,我们无法给他任何安慰。 —

Our resignation would give him more pain and hurt him far more than complaints and upbraidings. —
我们的顺从会给他更多痛苦,比抱怨和指责更使他痛心。 —

There are times in life when everything turns to bitterness.”
生活中有时候万事都变得苦涩。

Eugene was silent, the artless and sincere outpouring made an impression on him.
尤金沉默了,这位朴实而真诚的女人的发言给他留下了深刻印象。

Parisian women are often false, intoxicated with vanity, selfish and self-absorbed, frivolous and shallow; —
巴黎女人往往虚伪,沉醉于虚荣,自私自利,轻浮肤浅; —

yet of all women, when they love, they sacrifice their personal feelings to their passion; —
然而所有女人中,当她们爱的时候,会牺牲个人感情为了她们的激情; —

they rise but so much the higher for all the pettiness overcome in their nature, and become sublime. Then Eugene was struck by the profound discernment and insight displayed by this woman in judging of natural affection, when a privileged affection had separated and set her at a distance apart. —
她们在判断天性情感时显示的深刻洞察力令尤金感到钦佩,当一份特权的感情将她与众不同地分离开来时。 —

Mme. de Nucingen was piqued by the silence,
奈桑尚夫人被这样的沉默惹怒了,

“What are you thinking about?” she asked.
“你在想什么?“她问道。

“I am thinking about what you said just now. —
“我在想你刚刚说的话。 —

Hitherto I have always felt sure that I cared far more for you than you did for me.”
直到现在,我总是确信我对你的感情远远超过你对我的感情。”

She smiled, and would not give way to the happiness she felt, lest their talk should exceed the conventional limits of propriety. —
她微笑着,不想表现出她内心的幸福感,以免他们的谈话超出礼仪的界限。 —

She had never heard the vibrating tones of a sincere and youthful love; —
她从未听过真诚而年轻的爱情的激荡音调; —

a few more words, and she feared for her self control.
再说几句话,她就担心控制不住自己。

“Eugene,” she said, changing the conversation, “I wonder whether you know what has been happening? —
“尤金,”她改变了话题,”我想知道你知道发生了什么吗? —

All Paris will go to Mme. de Beauseant’s to-morrow. —
所有的巴黎人明天都会去博朗瑟夫人那里。 —

The Rochefides and the Marquis d’Ajuda have agreed to keep the matter a profound secret, but to-morrow the king will sign the marriage-contract, and your poor cousin the Vicomtesse knows nothing of it as yet. —
罗切菲德夫人和阿苏达侯爵已经商定保密这件事,但明天国王将签署婚约,你可怜的表姐女子,维康特夫人还一无所知。 —

She cannot put off her ball, and the Marquis will not be there. —
她无法推迟她的舞会,而侯爵将不会在那里。 —

People are wondering what will happen?”
人们都在想会发生什么?”

“The world laughs at baseness and connives at it. But this will kill Mme. de Beauseant.”
世人嘲笑卑鄙,并且懒于指责。但这将会杀死博朗瑟夫人。”

“Oh, no,” said Delphine, smiling, “you do not know that kind of woman. —
“噢,不,”黛尔菲娜笑着说,“你不了解那种女人。 —

Why, all Paris will be there, and so shall I; —
为什么,整个巴黎都会在那里,我也会在那里; —

I ought to go there for your sake.”
为了你,我应该去那里。”

“Perhaps, after all, it is one of those absurd reports that people set in circulation here.”
“也许,毕竟这只是这里人们故意散播的荒谬传言之一。”

“We shall know the truth to-morrow.”
“我们明天将会知道真相。”

Eugene did not return to the Maison Vauquer. —
“尤金没有回到沃凯尔夫人的房子。” —

He could not forego the pleasure of occupying his new rooms in the Rue d’Artois. —
“他无法放弃享受在阿尔圭街的新房间的乐趣。” —

Yesterday evening he had been obliged to leave Delphine soon after midnight, but that night it was Delphine who stayed with him until two o’clock in the morning. —
“昨晚他不得不在午夜后不久离开德尔芬,但那天晚上是德尔芬留在他那里,直到凌晨两点。” —

He rose late, and waited for Mme. de Nucingen, who came about noon to breakfast with him. —
“他起得很晚,等着努桥先生,她中午左右来和他一起吃早餐。” —

Youth snatches eagerly at these rosy moments of happiness, and Eugene had almost forgotten Goriot’s existence. —
“年轻人急切地抓住这些幸福的美好时刻,而尤金几乎忘记了戈里奥这个存在。” —

The pretty things that surrounded him were growing familiar; —
“围绕他的漂亮东西变得熟悉起来;” —

this domestication in itself was one long festival for him, and Mme. de Nucingen was there to glorify it all by her presence. —
“这种驯化本身就是一个长时间的节日,努辛根夫人的存在使一切变得辉煌起来。” —

It was four o’clock before they thought of Goriot, and of how he had looked forward to the new life in that house. —
“大约四点钟他们才想到戈里奥,以及他是如何盼望在那所房子里开始新生活的。” —

Eugene said that the old man ought to be moved at once, lest he should grow too ill to move. —
“尤金说老人现在应该立即搬走,以免他病得无法移动。” —

He left Delphine and hurried back to the lodging-house. —
“他离开德尔芬,匆忙赶回那间公寓。” —

Neither Father Goriot nor young Bianchon was in the dining-room with the others.
“在餐厅里没有看到戈里奥老爷子或年轻的比昂顿。”

“Aha!” said the painter as Eugene came in, “Father Goriot has broken down at last. —
“绘画家在尤金进来时说:‘戈里奥老人最终垮下来了。’” —

Bianchon is upstairs with him. One of his daughters–the Comtesse de Restaurama–came to see the old gentleman, and he would get up and go out, and made himself worse. —
“比昂顿在楼上和他在一起。他的一个女儿–修复拉马伯爵夫人–来看望老绅士,他却要起身出去,让自己病得更重了。” —

Society is about to lose one of its brightest ornaments.”
“社会即将失去一名最耀眼的明星。”

Rastignac sprang to the staircase.
拉斯蒂涅克一跃而上楼梯。

“Hey! Monsieur Eugene!”
“嘿!尤金先生!”

“Monsieur Eugene, the mistress is calling you,” shouted Sylvie.
“尤金先生,女主人正在叫你!”西尔维喊道。

“It is this, sir,” said the widow. “You and M. Goriot should by rights have moved out on the 15th of February. —
“事情是这样,先生,”寡妇说道。“您和戈里奥先生原本应该在二月十五日搬出去。 —

That was three days ago; to-day is the 18th, I ought really to be paid a month in advance; —
那是三天前;今天是十八日,按理我应该提前一个月收租金; —

but if you will engage to pay for both, I shall be quite satisfied.”
但如果您能答应支付两个月的话,我就满意了。”

“Why can’t you trust him?”
“为什么你不能相信他?”

“Trust him, indeed! If the old gentleman went off his head and died, those daughters of his would not pay me a farthing, and his things won’t fetch ten francs. —
“相信他,真是可笑!如果那位老绅士精神错乱或者去世,他的女儿们根本不会给我一文,而他的东西一文不值。 —

This morning he went out with all the spoons and forks he has left, I don’t know why. —
今早他带着他剩下的所有汤匙和叉子出去了,我不知道为什么。 —

He had got himself up to look quite young, and–Lord, forgive me–but I thought he had rouge on his cheeks; —
他打扮得年轻了起来,天啊,请原谅我,但我觉得他的脸上搽了胭脂; —

he looked quite young again.”
他看起来又年轻了。”

“I will be responsible,” said Eugene, shuddering with horror, for he foresaw the end.
“我愿为他负责,”尤金颤抖着说,因为他已经预见到结局。

He climbed the stairs and reached Father Goriot’s room. —
他爬上楼梯,来到戈里奥父亲的房间。 —

The old man was tossing on his bed. Bianchon was with him.
老人在床上翻来覆去。比扬肯在他身旁。

“Good-evening, father,” said Eugene.
“晚上好,父亲,”尤金说道。

The old man turned his glassy eyes on him, smiled gently, and said:
老人把他那双布满雾气的眼睛转向他,温和地微笑着说道:

“How is SHE?”
“她怎么样了?”

“She is quite well. But how are you?”
“她很好。但您怎么样?”

“There is nothing much the matter.”
“没什么大碍。”

“Don’t tire him,” said Bianchon, drawing Eugene into a corner of the room.
“不要让他太累,” 比昂尚说着,把尤金拉到房间的角落里。

“Well?” asked Rastignac.
“那么?” 拉斯坦尼亚克问道。

“Nothing but a miracle can save him now. Serous congestion has set in; —
“现在只有奇迹才能救他了。严重的充血已经发生了; —

I have put on mustard plasters, and luckily he can feel them, they are acting.”
我给他敷了芥末膏,幸运的是,他能感觉到它们,正在起作用。”

“Is it possible to move him?”
“能移动他吗?”

“Quite out of the question. He must stay where he is, and be kept as quiet as possible—-”
“完全不可能。他必须待在原地,并尽可能保持安静—-”

“Dear Bianchon,” said Eugene, “we will nurse him between us.”
“亲爱的比昂尚,” 尤金说,“我们会一起照顾他。”

“I have had the head physician round from my hospital to see him.”
“我从我的医院请来了主治医生来看他。”

“And what did he say?”
“他说了什么?”

“He will give no opinion till to-morrow evening. He promised to look in again at the end of the day. —
“他不会在明天晚上之前 发表意见。他答应傍晚再来看一下。 —

Unluckily, the preposterous areature must needs go and do something foolish this morning; —
不幸的是,这个愚蠢的家伙今天上午非要做些愚蠢的事——–” —

he will not say what it was. He is as obstinate as a mule. —
他不会说是什么。他像头骡子一样固执。 —

As soon as I begin to talk to him he pretends not to hear, and lies as if he were asleep instead of answering, or if he opens his eyes he begins to groan. —
一开始我跟他说话他就装听不见,假装睡着了不回答,或者睁开眼睛开始呻吟。 —

Some time this morning he went out on foot in the streets, nobody knows where he went, and he took everything that he had of any value with him. —
今天早上他步行出去了,没有人知道他去了哪里,而且他带走了所有有价值的东西。 —

He has been driving some confounded bargain, and it has been too much for his strength. —
他一直在搞什么该死的交易,结果耗费了他所有的力气。 —

One of his daughters has been here.”
有一个他的女儿来过。

“Was it the Countess?” asked Eugene. “A tall, dark-haired woman, with large bright eyes, slender figure, and little feet?”
“是伯爵夫人吗?” 尤金问道。 “一个高个子,黑发,大而明亮的眼睛,苗条的身形,小脚?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Leave him to me for a bit,” said Rastignac. —
“把他交给我一会儿,” 拉斯蒂涅克说。 —

“I will make him confess; he will tell me all about it.”
“我会让他招供的;他会告诉我一切的。”

“And meanwhile I will get my dinner. But try not to excite him; there is still some hope left.”
“与此同时我会去吃晚饭。但尽量不要激怒他;还是有一线希望的。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“How they will enjoy themselves to-morrow,” said Father Goriot when they were alone. —
“他们明天会玩得很开心,” 独处时戈里奥父亲说。 —

“They are going to a grand ball.”
“他们要去参加一个盛大的舞会。”

“Ghat were you doing this morning, papa, to make yourself so poorly this evening that you have to stop in bed?”
“爸爸,你今天早上到底干了什么,让你今天晚上这么虚弱,需要躺床上?”

“Nothing.”
“什么都没干。”

“Did not Anastasie come to see you?” demanded Rastignac.
“阿纳斯塔茜没有来找你吗?”拉斯底涅克要求道。

“Yes,” said Father Goriot.
“是的,”戈里奥父亲说。

“Well, then, don’t keep anything from me. What more did she want of you?”
“好吧,那么,不要瞒着我。她还有什么事找你?”

“Oh, she was very miserable,” he answered, gathering up all his strength to speak. —
“哦,她非常痛苦,”他回答道,竭尽全力讲述。 —

“It was this way, my boy. Since that affair of the diamonds, Nasie has not had a penny of her own. —
“是这样的,我的孩子。自那件钻石的事情以来,纳茜没了一分钱。 —

For this ball she had ordered a golden gown like a setting for a jewel. —
为了这个舞会,她定了一件像宝石一样的金色礼服。 —

Her mantuamaker, a woman without a conscience, would not give her credit, so Nasie’s waiting-woman advanced a thousand francs on account. —
她的裁缝,一个没有良心的女人,不愿意给她信用,所以纳茜的侍女预付了一千法郎。 —

Poor Nasie! reduced to such shifts! It cut me to the heart to think of it! —
可怜的纳茜!陷入这样的困境!想到这个我心如刀绞! —

But when Nasie’s maid saw how things were between her master and mistress, she was afraid of losing her money, and came to an understanding with the dressmaker, and the woman refuses to send the ball-dress until the money is paid. —
但是当纳茜的女仆看到她和主人之间的状况时,怕是会失去她的钱,就与裁缝达成了谅解,女人不愿发出舞会礼服,直到钱被支付。 —

The gown is ready, and the ball is to-morrow night! Nasie was in despair. —
礼服已经准备好了,舞会就在明晚!纳茜绝望了。 —

She wanted to borrow my forks and spoons to pawn them. —
她想借我的叉子和勺子去变卖。 —

Her husband is determined that she shall go and wear the diamonds, so as to contradict the stories that are told all over Paris. How can she go to that heartless scoundrel and say, ‘I owe a thousand francs to my dressmaker; —
她丈夫决定让她去戴钻石,以便否认整个巴黎都在传的故事。她怎么能去那个无情的恶棍那里,说‘我欠我裁缝一千法郎; —

pay her for me!’ She cannot. I saw that myself. —
帮我支付’!她做不到。我亲眼所见。 —

Delphine will be there too in a superb toilette, and Anastasie ought not to be outshone by her younger sister. —
德尔芬也会在场穿着一件华丽的礼服,阿纳斯塔茜不应该让比年幼的妹妹闪亮。 —

And then–she was drowned in tears, poor girl! —
然后——她被眼泪淹没了,可怜的女孩!” —

I felt so humbled yesterday when I had not the twelve thousand francs, that I would have given the rest of my miserable life to wipe out that wrong. —
昨天当我没有12000法郎时,我感到如此自卑,以至于我愿意付出我余下可怜的生命来弥补这个错误。 —

You see, I could have borne anything once, but latterly this want of money has broken my heart. Oh! —
你知道,曾经我可以忍受任何事情,但最近这种金钱上的缺乏已经伤透了我的心。 —

I did not do it by halves; I titivated myself up a bit, and went out and sold my spoons and forks and buckles for six hundred francs; —
我不做半拉子的事情;我稍微打扮了一下,卖掉了我的勺子、叉子和别针,得到了600法郎; —

then I went to old Daddy Gobseck, and sold a year’s interest on my annuity for four hundred francs down. —
然后我去找老戈布谢克,出售了我的一年年金利息,得到了400法郎的现金。 —

Pshaw! I can live on dry bread, as I did when I was a young man; —
哼!我可以靠吃干面包生活,就像年轻时那样; —

if I have done it before, I can do it again. My Nasie shall have one happy evening, at any rate. —
如果我以前做过,我现在也可以做到。我的娜西至少会有一个愉快的晚上。 —

She shall be smart. The banknote for a thousand francs is under my pillow; —
她要打扮得漂亮。一张一千法郎的钞票就在我枕头底下。 —

it warms me to have it lying there under my head, for it is goin
它躺在我的头下,暖和了我,因为它将让我可怜的纳西开心。

g to make my poor Nasie happy. She can turn that bad girl Victoire out of the house. —
她可以把那个坏女孩维克托瓦尔赶出房子。 —

A servant that cannot trust her mistress, did any one ever hear the like! —
一个不能信任她女主人的女仆,有人听过这样的事吗! —

I shall be quite well to-morrow. Nasie is coming at ten o’clock. —
明天我会完全康复。纳西会在十点钟来。 —

They must not think that I am ill, or they will not go to the ball; —
他们不要认为我病了,否则他们就不会去参加舞会; —

they will stop and take care of me. To-morrow Nasie will come and hold me in her arms as if I were one of her children; —
他们会留下来照顾我。明天,纳西会来抱着我,好像我是她的一个孩子; —

her kisses will make me well again. After all, I might have spent the thousand francs on physic; —
她的吻会让我再次康复。毕竟,我本可以把这一千法郎花在药物上; —

I would far rather give them to my little Nasie, who can charm all the pain away. —
我宁愿把它们给我的小纳西,她可以驱散所有的疼痛。 —

At any rate, I am some comfort to her in her misery; —
至少,我在她的苦难中给她一些安慰; —

and that makes up for my unkindness in buying an annuity. —
这弥补了我买了年金的不友善。 —

She is in the depths, and I cannot draw her out of them now. Oh! —
她在深渊中,我现在无法把她拉出来。噢! —

I will go into business again, I will buy wheat in Odessa; —
我会再次从事生意,我会在敖德萨买小麦; —

out there, wheat fetches a quarter of the price it sells for here. —
在那里,小麦的价格是这里的四分之一。 —

There is a law against the importation of grain, but the good folk who made the law forgot to prohibit the introduction of wheat products and food stuffs made from corn. —
虽然有一条禁止进口谷物的法律,但制定这条法律的善意人士忘记了禁止小麦制品和玉米制品的进口。 —

Hey! hey! … That struck me this morning. —
嘿!嘿!…今天早上我想到了这一点。 —

There is a fine trade to be done in starch.”
在淀粉中有一笔不错的交易可以做。

Eugene, watching the old man’s face, thought that his friend was light-headed.
尤金看着老人的脸,觉得他的朋友有些轻浮。

“Come,” he said, “do not talk any more, you must rest—-” Just then Bianchon came up, and Eugene went down to dinner.
“来吧,”他说,”不要再说了,你必须休息—-” 就在这时,比昂雄走了过来,尤金下去吃晚饭了。

The two students sat up with him that night, relieving each other in turn. —
两个学生整夜守在他身边,轮流照看。 —

Bianchon brought up his medical books and studied; —
比昂雄拿出了他的医学书籍并开始学习; —

Eugene wrote letters home to his mother and sisters. —
尤金给家里的母亲和姐妹写信。 —

Next morning Bianchon thought the symptoms more hopeful, but the patient’s condition demanded continual attention, which the two students alone were willing to give–a task impossible to describe in the squeamish phraseology of the epoch. —
第二天早上,比昂雄觉得症状更有希望了,但患者的状况需要持续不断的关注,这个任务只有两个年轻人愿意承担——在当时的时代,用吝啬的措辞无法描述这个任务。 —

Leeches must be applied to the wasted body, the poultices and hot foot-baths, and other details of the treatment required the physical strength and devotion of the two young men. —
蚂蚁必须贴在消瘦的身体上,还需要糊敷和热脚浴,以及其他治疗细节,都需要这两个年轻男子的体力和奉献精神。 —

Mme. de Restaud did not come; but she sent a messenger for the money.
雷斯太小姐没有来;但她派人来拿钱。

“I expected she would come herself; but it would have been a pity for her to come, she would have been anxious about me,” said the father, and to all appearances he was well content.
“我本来以为她会亲自来;但她来了也是件好事,她会为我担心的,” 父亲说,表面上看他感到很满足。

At seven o’clock that evening Therese came with a letter from Delphine.
那天晚上七点,特蕾兹带来了德尔芬的一封信。

“What are you doing, dear friend? I have been loved for a very little while, and I am neglected already? —
“亲爱的朋友,你在干什么?我已经被爱了一小会,现在又被冷落了? —

In the confidences of heart and heart, I have learned to know your soul–you are too noble not to be faithful for ever, for you know that love with all its infinite subtle changes of feeling is never the same. —
在心与心的倾诉中,我学会了了解你的灵魂——你太高贵了,不会不忠诚永远,因为你知道,爱与其无限微妙的情感变化永远都不一样。 —

Once you said, as we were listening to the Prayer in Mose in Egitto, ‘For some it is the monotony of a single note; —
有一次你说,当我们听摩西在埃及的祈祷时,’对一些人来说,它是单调的一个音符; —

for others, it is the infinite of sound.’ —
对其他人来说,它是歌声的无限。’ —

Remember that I am expecting you this evening to take me to Mme. de Beauseant’s ball. —
记住,今晚我等着你带我去到博艾散太太的舞会。 —

Every one knows now that the King signed M. d’Ajuda’s marriage-contract this morning, and the poor Vicomtesse knew nothing of it until two o’clock this afternoon. —
每个人现在都知道国王今天早上签署了阿茹达先生的婚约,而可怜的维康特桑斯夫人直到下午两点才得知此事。 —

All Paris will flock to her house, of course, just as a crowd fills the Place de Greve to see an execution. —
当然,全巴黎都会涌向她的家,就像人群涌向格雷夫广场观看一场处决。 —

It is horrible, is it not, to go out of curiosity to see if she will hide her anguish, and whether she will die courageously? —
看她是否会掩藏痛苦,是否会勇敢地面对死亡,这是多么可怕啊。 —

I certainly should not go, my friend, if I had been at her house before; —
如果之前我去过她家,我肯定不会去,我的朋友, —

but, of course, she will not receive society any more after this, and all my efforts would be in vain. —
但当然,她在这之后肯定不会再接待社交界,我任何努力也将白费。 —

My position is a very unusual one, and besides, I am going there partly on your account. —
我的处境很特殊,而且,我也有你的原因而去。 —

I am waiting for you. If you are not beside me in less than two hours, I do not know whether I could forgive such treason.”
我在等你。如果两小时内你还没来,我不知道我是否能原谅这种背叛。

Rastignac took up a pen and wrote:
拉斯坦尼亚克拿起笔写道:

“I am waiting till the doctor comes to know if there is any hope of your father’s life. —
“我在等医生来,询问你父亲是否有生的希望。 —

He is lying dangerously ill. I will come and bring you the news, but I am afraid it may be a sentence of death. —
他病情危急。我会前来告诉你消息,但我担心可能是死刑宣判。 —

When I come you can decide whether you can go to the ball. —
当我来时,你可以决定是否能去参加舞会。 —

–Yours a thousand times.”
–永远是你的。”

At half-past eight the doctor arrived. He did not take a very hopeful view of the case, but thought that there was no immediate danger. —
八点半时医生到了。他对案情并不乐观,但认为暂时没有危险。 —

Improvements and relapses might be expected, and the good man’s life and reason hung in the balance.
可能会有起伏,这个善良人的生命和理智岌岌可危。

“It would be better for him to die at once,” the doctor said as he took leave.
医生说:“他最好一次性死了。”并告别离开了。

Eugene left Goriot to Bianchon’s care, and went to carry the sad news to Mme. de Nucingen. —
尤金将戈里奥交给了比昂雄照料,然后去告诉努桑夫人这个悲伤的消息。 —

Family feeling lingered in her, and this must put an end for the present to her plans of amusement.
家庭情感在她心中挥之不去,这暂时阻止了她的娱乐计划。

“Tell her to enjoy her evening as if nothing had happened,” cried Goriot. —
“告诉她尽情享受今晚,就好像什么事都没有发生一样。”戈里奥大叫道。 —

He had been lying in a sort of stupor, but he suddenly sat upright as Eugene went out.
他一直躺在一种恍惚中,但当尤金离开时,他突然坐起来。

Eugene, half heartbroken, entered Delphine’s. Her hair had been dressed; —
尤金心痛欲裂地走进了德尔芬的房间。她的头发梳理好了; —

she wore her dancing slippers; she had only to put on her ball-dress; —
她穿上了舞鞋;她只需要穿上晚礼服; —

but when the artist is giving the finishing stroke to his creation, the last touches require more time than the whole groundwork of the picture.
但当艺术家给他的作品添加最后的修饰时,这些最后的触动比整个画的构思更需要时间。

“Why, you are not dressed!” she cried.
“你还没穿好衣服!”她喊道。

“Madame, your father—-”
“夫人,您的父亲—-”

“My father again!” she exclaimed, breaking in upon him. —
“又是我父亲!”她打断了他。 —

“You need not teach me what is due to my father, I have known my father this long while. —
“你不需要教我应该如何对待我父亲,我很久以前就认识我的父亲了。 —

Not a word, Eugene. I will hear what you have to say when you are dressed. —
尤金,别说话。等你穿好衣服再告诉我你要说的话。 —

My carriage is waiting, take it, go round to your rooms and dress, Therese has put out everything in readiness for you. —
我的马车在等你,你可以乘坐它,走到你的房间去换衣服,特蕾丝已经把一切都准备好了。 —

Come back as soon as you can; we will talk about my father on the way to Mme. de Beauseant’s. —
尽快回来;我们在去博桑夫人家的路上会谈论我的父亲。 —

We must go early; if we have to wait our turn in a row of carriages, we shall be lucky if we get there by eleven o’clock.”
我们必须早点出发;如果我们不得不在一排马车中等候,如果我们能在11点之前到那里就算是幸运了。

“Madame—-”
“夫人——”

“Quick! not a word!” she cried, darting into her dressing-room for a necklace.
“快!别说话!”她大声喊道,冲进她的化妆室取了一条项链。

“Do go, Monsieur Eugene, or you will vex madame,” said Therese, hurrying him away; —
“快去,尤金先生,否则你会惹恼夫人的,” 特丽丝催促着他; —

and Eugene was too horror-stricken by this elegant parricide to resist.
尤金对这种优雅的伦敦犯罪感到震惊,无法抗拒。

He went to his rooms and dressed, sad, thoughtful, and dispirited. —
他去了自己的房间,穿戴整齐,忧伤、沉思、情绪低落。 —

The world of Paris was like an ocean of mud for him just then; —
对他来说,巴黎的世界就像一个泥泞的海洋; —

and it seemed that whoever set foot in that black mire must needs sink into it up to the chin.
似乎任何踏入那片黑色淤泥的人都必定会深陷其中。

“Their crimes are paltry,” said Eugene to himself. “Vautrin was greater.”
“他们的罪行微不足道,” 尤金自言自语道。“瓦特兰更伟大。”