There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy’s life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. —
每个成长中的男孩都有一段时期,他内心有着强烈的愿望去某处挖寻隐藏的宝藏。 —

This desire suddenly came upon Tom one day. —
这个愿望突然降临在汤姆身上的一天。 —

He sallied out to find Joe Harper, but failed of success. Next he sought Ben Rogers; —
他出发去找乔·哈珀,但没有成功。接下来他寻找本·罗杰斯; —

he had gone fishing. Presently he stumbled upon Huck Finn the Red-Handed. Huck would answer. —
他去钓鱼了。不久他偶然遇到了霍克·芬,红手的霍克。霍克会答应。 —

Tom took him to a private place and opened the matter to him confidentially. Huck was willing. —
汤姆带他去一个私密的地方,秘密地告诉他这件事。霍克很愿意。 —

Huck was always willing to take a hand in any enterprise that offered entertainment and required no capital, for he had a troublesome superabundance of that sort of time which is not money. —
霍克总是乐于参与任何能提供娱乐且不需要资本的事业,因为他有大量的那种时间,那不是金钱。 —

“Where’ll we dig?” said Huck.
“我们要在哪里挖?”霍克问。

“Oh, most anywhere.”
“哦,几乎任何地方。”

“Why, is it hid all around?”
“为什么,它被隐藏在各种特定的地方?”

“No, indeed it ain’t. It’s hid in mighty particular places, Huck—sometimes on islands, sometimes in rotten chests under the end of a limb of an old dead tree, just where the shadow falls at midnight; —
“不,确实不是。它被隐藏在非常特别的地方,霍克,有时在岛上,有时在腐烂的箱子里,在一棵枯死树的枝干末端,正好在午夜时分有阴影的地方。” —

but mostly under the floor in ha’nted houses.”
但是大部分时候埋在闹鬼的房屋地板下面。

“Who hides it?”
“谁隐藏它?”

“Why, robbers, of course—who’d you reckon? Sunday-school sup’rintendents?”
“当然是强盗,你猜是谁?周日学校的主管?”

“I don’t know. If ’twas mine I wouldn’t hide it; I’d spend it and have a good time.”
“我不知道。如果是我的话,我不会隐藏它;我会花掉它,过得开心点。”

“So would I. But robbers don’t do that way. They always hide it and leave it there.”
“我也是。但是强盗不会那样做。他们总是藏起来不去动。”

“Don’t they come after it any more?”
“他们不在追寻了吗?”

“No, they think they will, but they generally forget the marks, or else they die. —
“不,在他们认为他们会去找它,但他们通常会忘记标记,要么就是他们死了。” —

Anyway, it lays there a long time and gets rusty; —
不管怎样,它在那里放了很长时间,会生锈; —

and by and by somebody finds an old yellow paper that tells how to find the marks—a paper that’s got to be ciphered over about a week because it’s mostly signs and hy’roglyphics.”
然后过一段时间,有人会找到一张旧的黄色纸,上面写着如何找到标记的方法——一张大部分都是符号和象形文字的纸。”

“Hyro—which?”
“象形文字?什么东西?”

“Hy’roglyphics—pictures and things, you know, that don’t seem to mean anything.”
“象形文字——你知道的,那些看起来好像什么都不代表的图片和东西。”

“Have you got one of them papers, Tom?”
“汤姆,你有一张那样的纸吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Well then, how you going to find the marks?”
“那你打算怎么找到标记呢?”

“I don’t want any marks. They always bury it under a ha’nted house or on an island, or under a dead tree that’s got one limb sticking out. —
“我不想有任何迹象。他们总是把它埋在一个闹鬼的房子下面,或者在一个岛上,或者在一个只有一根枝条露出的死树下面。 —

Well, we’ve tried Jackson’s Island a little, and we can try it again some time; —
“嗯,我们在杰克逊岛试过一点,以后还可以再试试; —

and there’s the old ha’nted house up the Still-House branch, and there’s lots of dead-limb trees—dead loads of ’em.”
“还有那座位于静屋分支上的那座老闹鬼房子,还有很多死树枝条-死了的一大堆。”

“Is it under all of them?”
“它是埋在所有这些地方吗?”

“How you talk! No!”
“你怎么说!没有!”

“Then how you going to know which one to go for?”
“那你怎么知道该去哪一个?”

“Go for all of ’em!”
“所有的都去找!”

“Why, Tom, it’ll take all summer.”
“为什么,汤姆,那得花上整个夏天。”

“Well, what of that? Suppose you find a brass pot with a hundred dollars in it, all rusty and gray, or rotten chest full of di’monds. How’s that?”
“那又怎样?假设你找到了一个生锈发灰的铜罐,里面有一百美元,或者一个满是钻石的破旧的箱子。怎么样?”

Huck’s eyes glowed.
哈克的眼睛闪闪发光。

“That’s bully. Plenty bully enough for me. —
“太棒了。对我来说足够棒了。 —

Just you gimme the hundred dollars and I don’t want no di’monds.”
只要你给我那一百美元,我就不要钻石。”

“All right. But I bet you I ain’t going to throw off on di’monds. —
“好吧。但我打赌我不会放弃钻石。” —

Some of ’em’s worth twenty dollars apiece—there ain’t any, hardly, but’s worth six bits or a dollar.”
“其中一些值20美元一枚,几乎没有,但有些值0.75美元或1美元。”

“No! Is that so?”
“不!是这样吗?”

“Cert’nly—anybody’ll tell you so. Hain’t you ever seen one, Huck?”
“当然-任何人都会告诉你的。你从未见过吗,哈克?”

“Not as I remember.”
“我记不清了。”

“Oh, kings have slathers of them.”
“哦,国王们有一堆。”

“Well, I don’ know no kings, Tom.”
“好吧,我不认识国王,汤姆。”

“I reckon you don’t. But if you was to go to Europe you’d see a raft of ’em hopping around.”
“我猜你不认识。但如果你去欧洲,你会看到一群群他们在跳来跳去。”

“Do they hop?”
“他们会跳吗?”

“Hop?—your granny! No!”
“跳?你奶奶的!不会!”

“Well, what did you say they did, for?”
“那你为什么这么说呢?”

“Shucks, I only meant you’d see ’em—not hopping, of course—what do they want to hop for? —
“哎呀,我的意思只是说你会‘看到’他们-当然不是跳来跳去-他们跳来跳去干嘛?” —

—but I mean you’d just see ’em—scattered around, you know, in a kind of a general way. —
“但是我的意思是你只会看到他们-四处散落,你知道,比较普遍的方式。” —

Like that old humpbacked Richard.”
“就像那个驼背的理查德一样。”

“Richard? What’s his other name?”
“理查德?他还有别的名字吗?”

“He didn’t have any other name. Kings don’t have any but a given name.”
“他没有别的名字。国王除了赐名字之外没有其他名字。”

“No?”
“不是吗?”

“But they don’t.”
“可是他们不喜欢。”

“Well, if they like it, Tom, all right; —
“嗯,如果他们喜欢,汤姆,那就好吧; —

but I don’t want to be a king and have only just a given name, like a nigger. —
是我不想成为国王,只有一个名字,像个黑鬼。 —

But say—where you going to dig first?”
是说说看——你要先挖哪里?”

“Well, I don’t know. S’pose we tackle that old dead-limb tree on the hill t’other side of Still-House branch?”
“嗯,我不知道。我们去试试那边臭水沟那边的那棵老死树,怎么样?”

“I’m agreed.”
“我同意。”

So they got a crippled pick and a shovel, and set out on their three-mile tramp. —
是他们拿着残破的镐和铲子,开始了他们三英里的跋涉。 —

They arrived hot and panting, and threw themselves down in the shade of a neighboring elm to rest and have a smoke.
他们热得气喘吁吁,一头栽倒在一棵附近的榆树下休息,抽了一支烟。

“I like this,” said Tom.
“我喜欢这里”,汤姆说。

“So do I.”
“我也是。”

“Say, Huck, if we find a treasure here, what you going to do with your share?”
“喂,哈克,如果我们在这里找到宝藏,你准备怎么用你的那一份?”

“Well, I’ll have pie and a glass of soda every day, and I’ll go to every circus that comes along. —
“嗯,我每天都要吃派和喝苏打水,还要去每一家过来的马戏团。 —

I bet I’ll have a gay time.”
打赌我会过得很开心的。”

“Well, ain’t you going to save any of it?”
“嗯,你不准备留下一点吗?”

“Save it? What for?”
“存起来?为了什么?”

“Why, so as to have something to live on, by and by.”
“为了以后有东西生活啊。”

“Oh, that ain’t any use. Pap would come back to thish-yer town some day and get his claws on it if I didn’t hurry up, and I tell you he’d clean it out pretty quick. —
“哦,那没用。等我都来不及的话,Pap多久都会回到这个小镇上,然后抓到它,我告诉你,他会很快把它都花光的。” —

What you going to do with yourn, Tom?”
“你打算怎么处理你的,Tom?”

“I’m going to buy a new drum, and a sure’nough sword, and a red necktie and a bull pup, and get married.”
“我打算买一个新的鼓、一把真正的剑、一条红领带和一只斗牛犬,然后结婚。”

“Married!”
“结婚!”

“That’s it.”
“就是这样。”

“Tom, you—why, you ain’t in your right mind.”
“Tom,你——哎呀,你脑袋出问题了。”

“Wait—you’ll see.”
“等着瞧,你就会明白的。”

“Well, that’s the foolishest thing you could do. Look at pap and my mother. Fight! —
“那可是你能做的最愚蠢的事情了。看看我爸和我妈。吵架!” —

Why, they used to fight all the time. I remember, mighty well.”
“哎呀,他们以前老是吵架。我还记得,非常清楚。”

“That ain’t anything. The girl I’m going to marry won’t fight.”
“那不重要。我要娶的女孩不会吵架。”

“Tom, I reckon they’re all alike. They’ll all comb a body. —
“Tom,我觉得她们都一样。她们都会把人梳理一番。” —

Now you better think ’bout this awhile. —
“你最好再考虑一下。 —

I tell you you better. What’s the name of the gal?”
我告诉你,你最好再考虑一下。那个姑娘叫什么名字?”

“It ain’t a gal at all—it’s a girl.”
“它不是一个女孩 - 是个女孩。”

“It’s all the same, I reckon; some says gal, some says girl—both’s right, like enough. —
“无论怎样,我想都一样;有些人说女孩,有些人说姑娘 - 都对,很可能都对。” —

Anyway, what’s her name, Tom?”
那么,她叫什么名字,汤姆?”

“I’ll tell you some time—not now.”
“过段时间我会告诉你,现在不行。”

“All right—that’ll do. Only if you get married I’ll be more lonesomer than ever.”
“好吧 - 那就够了。只是如果你结婚,我会比以前更寂寞。”

“No you won’t. You’ll come and live with me. —
“不会的。你会跟我一起住。” —

Now stir out of this and we’ll go to digging.”
现在离开这里,我们去挖吧。”

They worked and sweated for half an hour. No result. —
他们辛辛苦苦地工作了半个小时。没有结果。 —

They toiled another halfhour. Still no result. Huck said:
他们又辛辛苦苦地努力了半个小时。还是没有结果。哈克说:

“Do they always bury it as deep as this?”
“它们总是埋得这么深吗?”

“Sometimes—not always. Not generally. I reckon we haven’t got the right place.”
“有时候,不总是。通常不会。我猜我们没找对地方。”

So they chose a new spot and began again. —
于是他们选择了一个新地点,重新开始。 —

The labor dragged a little, but still they made progress. —
工作有点吃力,但他们还是取得了进展。 —

They pegged away in silence for some time. —
他们默默地继续苦干了一段时间。 —

Finally Huck leaned on his shovel, swabbed the beaded drops from his brow with his sleeve, and said:
最后,哈克倚在铲子上,用袖子擦去额头上的汗珠,说道:

“Where you going to dig next, after we get this one?”
“挖完了这个,接下来你打算在哪儿挖?”

“I reckon maybe we’ll tackle the old tree that’s over yonder on Cardiff Hill back of the widow’s.”
“我猜也许我们会去解决那棵老树,它就在卡迪夫山的背后,寡妇的地方。”

“I reckon that’ll be a good one. But won’t the widow take it away from us, Tom? —
“我猜那会是个好地方。但是,寡妇会不会从我们这儿拿走它,汤姆? —

It’s on her land.”
它在她的地上。”

She take it away! Maybe she’d like to try it once. —
“她拿走它!也许她想试试一次。 —

Whoever finds one of these hid treasures, it belongs to him. —
无论谁找到这些隐藏着的宝藏,它都属于他。 —

It don’t make any difference whose land it’s on.”
不管它在谁的土地上。”

That was satisfactory. The work went on. By and by Huck said:
这是可以接受的。工作继续进行。不一会儿,哈克说:

“Blame it, we must be in the wrong place again. What do you think?”
“见鬼,我们可能又找错地方了。你觉得呢?”

“It is mighty curious, Huck. I don’t understand it. —
“这很奇怪,哈克。我不明白。 —

Sometimes witches interfere. I reckon maybe that’s what’s the trouble now.”
有时候巫婆会干扰。我猜现在可能是那个问题。”

“Shucks! Witches ain’t got no power in the daytime.”
“胡扯!巫婆白天没有任何能力。”

“Well, that’s so. I didn’t think of that. Oh, I know what the matter is! —
“嗯,说的对。我没想到这个。哦,我知道问题出在哪儿了! —

What a blamed lot of fools we are! You got to find out where the shadow of the limb falls at midnight, and that’s where you dig!”
你得找出午夜时分树枝的阴影落在哪里,那就是你挖的地方!”

“Then consound it, we’ve fooled away all this work for nothing. —
“可恶,我们白费了这么多功夫。” —

Now hang it all, we got to come back in the night. —
“拜托了,我们得在晚上再回来。” —

It’s an awful long way. Can you get out?”
“这地方离得太远了。你能出来吗?”

“I bet I will. We’ve got to do it tonight, too, because if somebody sees these holes they’ll know in a minute what’s here and they’ll go for it.”
“我肯定能出来。我们必须今晚做,因为如果有人看见这些洞,他们一分钟就能知道这里面有什么,他们会过来的。”

“Well, I’ll come around and maow tonight.”
“好吧,我今晚会过来瞅一眼。”

“All right. Let’s hide the tools in the bushes.”
“好的。让我们把工具藏在灌木丛里。”

The boys were there that night, about the appointed time. They sat in the shadow waiting. —
那天晚上,孩子们都在约定的时间到了那里。他们坐在阴影中等待。 —

It was a lonely place, and an hour made solemn by old traditions. —
“这是个荒凉的地方,一个被古老传统所庄严化的时间。” —

Spirits whispered in the rustling leaves, ghosts lurked in the murky nooks, the deep baying of a hound floated up out of the distance, an owl answered with his sepulchral note. —
“幽灵在飒飒作响的树叶中窃窃私语,鬼魂藏匿在昏暗的角落,深沉的猎犬吠声从远处传来,猫头鹰以它坟墓般的音调回应。” —

The boys were subdued by these solemnities, and talked little. —
这些庄严的氛围让孩子们变得沉默寡言。 —

By and by they judged that twelve had come; they marked where the shadow fell, and began to dig. —
不久他们判断出已经过了12点钟;他们标记了阴影的位置,开始挖掘。 —

Their hopes commenced to rise. Their interest grew stronger, and their industry kept pace with it. —
他们的希望开始上升。他们的兴趣越来越浓,他们的干劲也与之相匹配。 —

The hole deepened and still deepened, but every time their hearts jumped to hear the pick strike upon something, they only suffered a new disappointment. —
洞越来越深,但每次他们听到镐头击中某物的声音时,他们只是经历了新的失望。 —

It was only a stone or a chunk. At last Tom said:
那只是一块石头或一块碎片。最后,汤姆说道:

“It ain’t any use, Huck, we’re wrong again.”
“没用了,哈克,我们又错了。”

“Well, but we can’t be wrong. We spotted the shadder to a dot.”
“可是,我们不可能错。我们把阴影一点不差地找到了。”

“I know it, but then there’s another thing.”
“我知道,但还有另一件事。”

“What’s that?”
“什么事?”

“Why, we only guessed at the time. Like enough it was too late or too early.”
“嗯,我们当时只是猜测。很可能来得太晚或太早。”

Huck dropped his shovel.
哈克放下铁锹。

“That’s it,” said he. “That’s the very trouble. We got to give this one up. —
“就是那样,”他说,“那就是问题所在。我们必须放弃这个了。” —

We can’t ever tell the right time, and besides this kind of thing’s too awful, here this time of night with witches and ghosts a-fluttering around so. —
“我们永远无法确定正确的时间,而且这种事情在夜晚实在太可怕了,到处都是女巫和鬼魂飞来飞去。” —

I feel as if something’s behind me all the time; —
我总觉得有什么东西一直跟在我身后。 —

and I’m afeard to turn around, becuz maybe there’s others in front a-waiting for a chance. —
我害怕转身,因为或许前面还有其他人在等待机会。 —

I been creeping all over, ever since I got here.”
自从我来到这里以后,我一直悄悄地行动。

“Well, I’ve been pretty much so, too, Huck. They most always put in a dead man when they bury a treasure under a tree, to look out for it.”
嗯,我也差不多是这样的,Huck。他们在树下埋宝藏的时候通常会放一个死人在里面,看守着。

“Lordy!”
天哪!

“Yes, they do. I’ve always heard that.”
是的,我一直听说过这个。

“Tom, I don’t like to fool around much where there’s dead people. —
Tom,我不太喜欢在有尸体的地方到处闲逛。 —

A body’s bound to get into trouble with ’em, sure.”
和他们在一起,一个人肯定会惹上麻烦的。

“I don’t like to stir ’em up, either. —
我也不喜欢去惹他们。 —

S’pose this one here was to stick his skull out and say something!”
要是这个人把他的头骨伸出来说些什么该怎么办!

“Don’t Tom! It’s awful.”
不要这样,Tom!太可怕了。

“Well, it just is. Huck, I don’t feel comfortable a bit.”
好吧,确实很可怕。Huck,我一点都不舒服。

“Say, Tom, let’s give this place up, and try somewheres else.”
说吧,Tom,我们离开这个地方,换个地方试试吧。

“All right, I reckon we better.”
好吧,我想我们最好这样做。

“What’ll it be?”
那我们去哪里呢?

Tom considered awhile; and then said:
Tom考虑了一会儿,然后说:

“The ha’nted house. That’s it!”
“被诅咒的房子。就是它!”

“Blame it, I don’t like ha’nted houses, Tom. Why, they’re a dern sight worse’n dead people. Dead people might talk, maybe, but they don’t come sliding around in a shroud, when you ain’t noticing, and peep over your shoulder all of a sudden and grit their teeth, the way a ghost does. —
“拜托,汤姆,我不喜欢被诅咒的房子。为什么说比死人还可怕呢?死人或许能说话,但他们不会在你不留意的时候穿着裹尸布溜过来,突然从你肩上探出头来,咬紧牙关,就像鬼魂一样。 —

I couldn’t stand such a thing as that, Tom—nobody could.”
“汤姆,我受不了那样的事情,没人能受得了。”

“Yes, but, Huck, ghosts don’t travel around only at night. —
“是的,但是,哈克,鬼魂并不只在夜间出没。 —

They won’t hender us from digging there in the daytime.”
“它们不会阻止我们白天挖那里。”

“Well, that’s so. But you know mighty well people don’t go about that ha’nted house in the day nor the night.”
“那倒是没错。但你知道人们可从不白天或者夜晚去那个被诅咒的房子。”

“Well, that’s mostly because they don’t like to go where a man’s been murdered, anyway—but nothing’s ever been seen around that house except in the night—just some blue lights slipping by the windows—no regular ghosts.”
“嗯,大多数是因为他们根本不愿意去个有人被谋杀过的地方,不过除了夜晚外从来没人在那房子附近看到什么东西——只是偶尔窗户边会有些蓝色的光影闪过——根本没有真正的鬼魂。”

“Well, where you see one of them blue lights flickering around, Tom, you can bet there’s a ghost mighty close behind it. —
“嗯,当你看到蓝色的光在四周闪烁时,汤姆,你可以肯定有个鬼魂就在附近。” —

It stands to reason. Becuz you know that they don’t anybody but ghosts use ’em.”
“这是合情理的。因为你知道,除了鬼魂,没有人会使用它们。”

“Yes, that’s so. But anyway they don’t come around in the daytime, so what’s the use of our being afeard?”
“是的,是这样。但是不管怎样,它们白天不会出现,所以我们害怕有什么用呢?”

“Well, all right. We’ll tackle the ha’nted house if you say so—but I reckon it’s taking chances.”
“好吧,那好吧。如果你说要去,我们就去这个被鬼魂盘踞的房子,但我觉得这是冒险。”

They had started down the hill by this time. —
他们已经开始顺着山坡走下去了。 —

There in the middle of the moonlit valley below them stood the “ha’nted” house, utterly isolated, its fences gone long ago, rank weeds smothering the very doorsteps, the chimney crumbled to ruin, the window-sashes vacant, a corner of the roof caved in. —
在他们下面的月光照亮的山谷中间,矗立着一座“被鬼魂盘踞”的房子,与世隔绝,篱笆已经消失很久,杂草扼杀着门前的台阶,烟囱已经崩塌殆尽,窗框空无一物,屋顶的一角坍塌了。 —

The boys gazed awhile, half expecting to see a blue light flit past a window; —
孩子们注视着,半期待着看到一个蓝色的灯光从窗子里飘过去。 —

then talking in a low tone, as befitted the time and the circumstances, they struck far off to the right, to give the haunted house a wide berth, and took their way homeward through the woods that adorned the rearward side of Cardiff Hill.
然后低声交谈,适应当时和情况,他们远离恶灵的房子,往右走,绕道回家,经过装饰了卡迪夫山背面的树林。