Monday morning found Tom Sawyer miserable. —
星期一早上,汤姆发现自己心情糟糕。 —

Monday morning always found him so—because it began another week’s slow suffering in school. —
每个星期一早上他总是这样——因为他知道又要开始在学校里缓慢受苦的一周了。 —

He generally began that day with wishing he had had no intervening holiday, it made the going into captivity and fetters again so much more odious.
他通常在那一天开始时就希望自己没有经历过插班假期,因为这会让回到束缚和枷锁中变得更加可憎。

Tom lay thinking. Presently it occurred to him that he wished he was sick; —
汤姆躺在那里想着。过了一会儿,他想要自己生病,这样他就能不去上学了。这里有个模糊的可能性。他仔细检查了自己的身体。 —

then he could stay home from school. Here was a vague possibility. He canvassed his system. —
没有发现任何症状,于是他再次检查。 —

No ailment was found, and he investigated again. —
这次他似乎发现了肚子疼的症状,于是满怀希望地鼓励这种症状。 —

This time he thought he could detect colicky symptoms, and he began to encourage them with considerable hope. —
但它们很快变得虚弱,并最终完全消失。他再次思考。 —

But they soon grew feeble, and presently died wholly away. He reflected further. —
突然他发现了什么。他上前牙之一松动了。这真是幸运; —

Suddenly he discovered something. One of his upper front teeth was loose. This was lucky; —
他正要开始呻吟,作为一个“开场白”,正当他这样想的时候,他意识到如果他以这个理由去找他的姑妈,她会把它拔掉,而那会很疼。 —

he was about to begin to groan, as a “starter,” as he called it, when it occurred to him that if he came into court with that argument, his aunt would pull it out, and that would hurt. —
他进一步思考后,突然发现了一些事情。他上前牙之一松动了。这真是幸运; —

So he thought he would hold the tooth in reserve for the present, and seek further. —
因此,他想把这颗牙留着备用,再继续寻找。 —

Nothing offered for some little time, and then he remembered hearing the doctor tell about a certain thing that laid up a patient for two or three weeks and threatened to make him lose a finger. —
有一段时间什么都没发生,然后他想起医生曾经说过一种疾病会让患者卧床两三周,有可能损失一根手指。 —

So the boy eagerly drew his sore toe from under the sheet and held it up for inspection. —
于是,男孩急切地把疼痛的脚趾从被子下露了出来,拿起来让别人看。 —

But now he did not know the necessary symptoms. —
但现在他不知道需要什么样的症状。 —

However, it seemed well worth while to chance it, so he fell to groaning with considerable spirit.
不过,冒险试一试似乎是很值得的,于是他开始哀嚎起来,声音颇有力度。

But Sid slept on unconscious.
但是希德依然熟睡不醒。

Tom groaned louder, and fancied that he began to feel pain in the toe.
汤姆哭喊得更大声了,并且感觉自己的脚趾开始疼痛起来。

No result from Sid.
希德没有任何反应。

Tom was panting with his exertions by this time. —
汤姆此时已经因为努力而喘不过气来了。 —

He took a rest and then swelled himself up and fetched a succession of admirable groans.
他休息了一会儿,然后使劲儿地哀嚎起来,一连串的呻吟声令人赞叹不已。

Sid snored on.
希德还在打呼噜。

Tom was aggravated. He said, “Sid, Sid!” and shook him. —
汤姆感到很恼火,他说:“希德,希德!”然后摇了摇他。 —

This course worked well, and Tom began to groan again. —
这招奏效了,汤姆又开始哀嚎起来。 —

Sid yawned, stretched, then brought himself up on his elbow with a snort, and began to stare at Tom. Tom went on groaning. Sid said:
西德打了个哈欠,伸了个懒腰,然后用一声鼻声把自己撑起来,开始盯着汤姆。汤姆还在呻吟。西德说:”汤姆!喂,汤姆!” 【没有反应】 “喂,汤姆!汤姆!”

“Tom! Say, Tom!” [No response.] “Here, Tom! TOM! —
有什么问题,汤姆?” 他摇晃着他,焦急地看着他的脸。 —

What is the matter, Tom?” And he shook him and looked in his face anxiously.
汤姆痛苦地呻吟着:”噢,别,西德。别摇我。”

Tom moaned out:
“为什么,汤姆?出了什么事?我得去找姨妈。”

“Oh, don’t, Sid. Don’t joggle me.”
“不,别管了。也许这种情况过一会儿就会好。别叫任何人来。”

“Why, what’s the matter, Tom? I must call auntie.”
“但我必须!汤姆,别这样呻吟,真是太可怕了。你这样的病已经持续多久了?”

“No—never mind. It’ll be over by and by, maybe. Don’t call anybody.”
“几个小时了。哎哟!噢,别动那么剧烈,西德,你会害死我的。”

“But I must! Don’t groan so, Tom, it’s awful. How long you been this way?”
“汤姆,为什么你不早点叫醒我?噢,汤姆,别!太让我毛骨悚然了。汤姆,出了什么事?”

“Hours. Ouch! Oh, don’t stir so, Sid, you’ll kill me.”
“西德,我原谅你所有的一切。【呻吟】你对我所做的一切。当我离开的时候…”

“Tom, why didn’t you wake me sooner? Oh, Tom, _don’t! —
“噢,汤姆,你不会快不行了吧?别,汤姆,别!也许……” —

_ It makes my flesh crawl to hear you. Tom, what is the matter?”
“汤姆,你不要死了,行吗?别,汤姆,别。或许…”

“I forgive you everything, Sid. [Groan.] Everything you’ve ever done to me. —
“当我走的时候,我会原谅你的一切,西德。【呻吟】你对我所做的一切。” —

When I’m gone—”
“噢,汤姆,你不会快不行了吧?别,汤姆,别。也许…”

“Oh, Tom, you ain’t dying, are you? Don’t, Tom—oh, don’t. Maybe—”
“也许…”

“I forgive everybody, Sid. [Groan.] Tell ’em so, Sid. And Sid, you give my window-sash and my cat with one eye to that new girl that’s come to town, and tell her—”
“我原谅每个人,Sid。 [呻吟] 告诉他们,Sid。Sid,你把我的窗框和那只只有一只眼睛的猫给那个新来的女孩,告诉她——”

But Sid had snatched his clothes and gone. —
但是Sid抓起他的衣服走了。 —

Tom was suffering in reality, now, so handsomely was his imagination working, and so his groans had gathered quite a genuine tone.
现在,Tom真的很痛苦,他的想象力工作得如此出色,所以他的呻吟声带有相当真实的感觉。

Sid flew downstairs and said:
Sid飞快地跑下楼说:

“Oh, Aunt Polly, come! Tom’s dying!”
“哦,Polly姨妈,快来!Tom要死了!”

“Dying!”
“要死了!”

“Yes’m. Don’t wait—come quick!”
“是的,姨妈,别等了,快来!”

“Rubbage! I don’t believe it!”
“胡说八道!我不信!”

But she fled upstairs, nevertheless, with Sid and Mary at her heels. —
但她还是跟着Sid和Mary上楼去了。 —

And her face grew white, too, and her lip trembled. —
她的脸也变白了,她的嘴唇颤抖着。 —

When she reached the bedside she gasped out:
当她到达床边时,她喘着气说:

“You, Tom! Tom, what’s the matter with you?”
“你,Tom!Tom,你怎么了?”

“Oh, auntie, I’m—”
“哦,姨妈,我——”

“What’s the matter with you—what is the matter with you, child?”
“你怎么了——你怎么了,孩子?”

“Oh, auntie, my sore toe’s mortified!”
“哦,姨妈,我疮脚变糜了!”

The old lady sank down into a chair and laughed a little, then cried a little, then did both together. —
老太太沉入了椅子里,笑了一会儿,接着哭了一会儿,然后两者兼而有之。 —

This restored her and she said:
这让她恢复了,她说:

“Tom, what a turn you did give me. Now you shut up that nonsense and climb out of this.”
“汤姆,你吓了我一跳。现在闭嘴,爬出来。”

The groans ceased and the pain vanished from the toe. The boy felt a little foolish, and he said:
呻吟声停止了,脚趾的疼痛消失了。男孩感到有点傻,他说:

“Aunt Polly, it seemed mortified, and it hurt so I never minded my tooth at all.”
“波莉姨姨,好像是被烧伤了,疼得我根本没注意自己的牙齿。”

“Your tooth, indeed! What’s the matter with your tooth?”
“你的牙齿,真的吗?你的牙齿怎么了?”

“One of them’s loose, and it aches perfectly awful.”
“其中一个松动了,疼得非常厉害。”

“There, there, now, don’t begin that groaning again. Open your mouth. —
“好了,好了,别再开始抱怨了。张嘴看看。” —

Well—your tooth is loose, but you’re not going to die about that. —
“嗯,你的牙齿确实松了,但你不会因此而死的。” —

Mary, get me a silk thread, and a chunk of fire out of the kitchen.”
玛丽,给我一根丝线,还有一块从厨房拿出来的木块。”

Tom said:
汤姆说:

“Oh, please, auntie, don’t pull it out. It don’t hurt any more. —
“哦,请姨姨,不要把它拔出来了。它已经不痛了。 —

I wish I may never stir if it does. Please don’t, auntie. —
我发誓如果还疼的话,我愿意一动不动。请不要,姨姨。 —

I don’t want to stay home from school.”
我不想缺课。”

“Oh, you don’t, don’t you? So all this row was because you thought you’d get to stay home from school and go a-fishing? —
“哦,你不想上学是吗?所以这整场争吵都是因为你想要在家呆着钓鱼?” —

Tom, Tom, I love you so, and you seem to try every way you can to break my old heart with your outrageousness. —
汤姆,汤姆,我如此爱你,而你似乎竭尽所能以一切荒唐行为来伤害我的老心。 —

” By this time the dental instruments were ready. —
“这时候,牙科工具已经准备好了。” —

The old lady made one end of the silk thread fast to Tom’s tooth with a loop and tied the other to the bedpost. —
老太太用线把一头系在汤姆的牙齿上的一个环上,另一头系在床头上。 —

Then she seized the chunk of fire and suddenly thrust it almost into the boy’s face. —
然后她突然将一块着火的木头几乎对准了这个男孩的脸。 —

The tooth hung dangling by the bedpost, now.
现在,牙齿悬挂在床头上。

But all trials bring their compensations. —
但是所有的考验都会带来补偿。 —

As Tom wended to school after breakfast, he was the envy of every boy he met because the gap in his upper row of teeth enabled him to expectorate in a new and admirable way. —
在早餐后,当汤姆朝学校走去时,他成为了每个他遇到的男孩都羡慕的对象,因为他上排牙齿的缺口使他能以一种新颖而可敬的方式吐痰。 —

He gathered quite a following of lads interested in the exhibition; —
他聚集了一群对这个表演感兴趣的男孩子们; —

and one that had cut his finger and had been a centre of fascination and homage up to this time, now found himself suddenly without an adherent, and shorn of his glory. —
有一个男孩曾割伤了手指,成为人们观摩和敬仰的中心,但突然间,他发现自己失去了追随者,荣耀也荡然无存。 —

His heart was heavy, and he said with a disdain which he did not feel that it wasn’t anything to spit like Tom Sawyer; —
他的心沉重,虽然并不真的轻蔑,他还是说那根本不像汤姆·索亚一样值得鄙视。 —

but another boy said, “Sour grapes!” and he wandered away a dismantled hero.
但另一个男孩则说,“你是酸葡萄!”于是他失望地离开,不再是受人崇拜的英雄了。

Shortly Tom came upon the juvenile pariah of the village, Huckleberry Finn, son of the town drunkard. Huckleberry was cordially hated and dreaded by all the mothers of the town, because he was idle and lawless and vulgar and bad—and because all their children admired him so, and delighted in his forbidden society, and wished they dared to be like him. —
不久,汤姆遇见了村子里的小害虫,哈克贝利·费恩,他是镇上酒鬼的儿子,被所有的母亲们痛恨和畏惧,因为他懒散、不守法、粗鲁和邪恶—而他们所有的孩子都崇拜他,喜欢和他一起违禁的交往,他们渴望敢像他一样。 —

Tom was like the rest of the respectable boys, in that he envied Huckleberry his gaudy outcast condition, and was under strict orders not to play with him. —
汤姆和其他体面的男孩一样,羡慕哈克贝利那个华丽的流浪者的状态,并且被严令不得和他一起玩。 —

So he played with him every time he got a chance. —
于是每次有机会,汤姆都和他一起玩。 —

Huckleberry was always dressed in the cast-off clothes of full-grown men, and they were in perennial bloom and fluttering with rags. —
哈克贝利总是穿着成年男人丢弃的衣服,那些衣服常年灰暗,破烂不堪。 —

His hat was a vast ruin with a wide crescent lopped out of its brim; —
他的帽子已经残破不堪,帽檐上截去了一条宽阔的弯月形。 —

his coat, when he wore one, hung nearly to his heels and had the rearward buttons far down the back; —
他的外套,如果穿的话,几乎垂到他的脚跟,后面的纽扣开到背上很下方; —

but one suspender supported his trousers; —
只有一根吊带吊着他的裤子。 —

the seat of the trousers bagged low and contained nothing, the fringed legs dragged in the dirt when not rolled up.
裤子的臀位下垂,里面空无一物,长长的裤脚不卷起来时在泥土中拖地。

Huckleberry came and went, at his own free will. —
哈克贝利来去自由。 —

He slept on doorsteps in fine weather and in empty hogsheads in wet; —
天气好时他在门前的台阶上睡觉,在下雨天则在空的大木桶里。 —

he did not have to go to school or to church, or call any being master or obey anybody; —
他不必上学也不必去教堂,不必称呼任何人为主人或服从任何人。 —

he could go fishing or swimming when and where he chose, and stay as long as it suited him; —
他可以随心所欲地去钓鱼或游泳,停留的时间取决于他自己。 —

nobody forbade him to fight; he could sit up as late as he pleased; —
没人禁止他打架;他可以一直熬夜。 —

he was always the first boy that went barefoot in the spring and the last to resume leather in the fall; —
每年春天他总是第一个光着脚丫子,秋天则是最后一个不穿鞋的孩子。 —

he never had to wash, nor put on clean clothes; he could swear wonderfully. —
他永远不需要洗澡,也不需要换洗干净的衣服;他能说出令人惊叹的誓言。 —

In a word, everything that goes to make life precious that boy had. —
一言以蔽之,这个男孩拥有一切使生活变得珍贵的东西。 —

So thought every harassed, hampered, respectable boy in St. Petersburg.
圣彼得堡每个受压迫、受束缚的体面男孩都这样想。

Tom hailed the romantic outcast:
汤姆向这个浪漫的被放逐者打招呼:

“Hello, Huckleberry!”
“你好,哈克贝利!”

“Hello yourself, and see how you like it.”
“你好,自己看看你喜欢不喜欢。”

“What’s that you got?”
“你拿的是什么?”

“Dead cat.”
“死猫。”

“Lemme see him, Huck. My, he’s pretty stiff. Where’d you get him?”
“让我看看,哈克。哇,它挺僵硬的。你从哪儿弄来的?”

“Bought him off’n a boy.”
“从一个男孩那儿买的。”

“What did you give?”
“你付了多少?”

“I give a blue ticket and a bladder that I got at the slaughter-house.”
“我付了一张蓝票和一个我在屠宰场得到的气囊。”

“Where’d you get the blue ticket?”
“你哪儿得到那张蓝票?”

“Bought it off’n Ben Rogers two weeks ago for a hoop-stick.”
“两周前我从本·罗杰斯那里用一个圈球棒买的。”

“Say—what is dead cats good for, Huck?”
“说,哈克,死猫有什么用?”

“Good for? Cure warts with.”
“适用于?用来治疗疣的。”

“No! Is that so? I know something that’s better.”
“不是吧!我知道一个更好的东西。”

“I bet you don’t. What is it?”
“我敢打赌你不知道。是什么呢?”

“Why, spunk-water.”
“喂,是人屎水。”

“Spunk-water! I wouldn’t give a dern for spunk-water.”
“人屎水!我才不会为了人屎水浪费一点钱。”

“You wouldn’t, wouldn’t you? D’you ever try it?”
“你不会?你试过了吗?”

“No, I hain’t. But Bob Tanner did.”
“没有,我没试过。但是鲍勃·坦纳试过。”

“Who told you so!”
“谁告诉你的!”

“Why, he told Jeff Thatcher, and Jeff told Johnny Baker, and Johnny told Jim Hollis, and Jim told Ben Rogers, and Ben told a nigger, and the nigger told me. There now!”
“鲍勃·坦纳告诉了杰夫·撒刘齐,然后杰夫告诉了约翰尼·贝克,然后约翰尼告诉了吉姆·霍利斯,然后吉姆告诉了本·罗杰斯,然后本告诉了一个黑人奴隶,然后那个黑人告诉了我。就是这样!”

“Well, what of it? They’ll all lie. Leastways all but the nigger. I don’t know him. —
“那又怎么样?他们都会撒谎。至少除了黑人。我不认识他。” —

But I never see a nigger that wouldn’t lie. Shucks! —
“可是我从没见过一个黑人不撒谎的。胡说八道!” —

Now you tell me how Bob Tanner done it, Huck.”
“那你告诉我鲍勃·坦纳怎么做的,哈克。”

“Why, he took and dipped his hand in a rotten stump where the rain-water was.”
“嗯,他把手蘸到一颗腐烂的树桩里,那里有雨水。”

“In the daytime?”
“白天吗?”

“Certainly.”
“当然。”

“With his face to the stump?”
“他面对着树桩吗?”

“Yes. Least I reckon so.”
“是的。至少我是这么想的。”

“Did he say anything?”
“他说了什么吗?”

“I don’t reckon he did. I don’t know.”
“我想他没有。我不知道。”

“Aha! Talk about trying to cure warts with spunk-water such a blame fool way as that! —
“啊哈!谈论用稀粥水治疗疣,这样一个可恶而愚蠢的方式! —

Why, that ain’t a-going to do any good. —
哎呀,那样是没有用的。 —

You got to go all by yourself, to the middle of the woods, where you know there’s a spunk-water stump, and just as it’s midnight you back up against the stump and jam your hand in and say:
你必须独自一人去深入树林,在你知道有株稀粥水的树桩的地方,就在午夜时分,紧贴树桩背靠,插手进去说:

‘Barley-corn, barley-corn, injun-meal shorts, Spunk-water, spunk-water, swaller these warts,’
‘大麦粒、大麦粒、玉米面、 稀粥水、稀粥水,消灭这些疣瘌,’

and then walk away quick, eleven steps, with your eyes shut, and then turn around three times and walk home without speaking to anybody. —
然后迅速地闭上眼睛走开十一步,转身三次然后默不作声地回家。 —

Because if you speak the charm’s busted.”
因为如果说话了,咒语就破坏了。”

“Well, that sounds like a good way; but that ain’t the way Bob Tanner done.”
“好吧,那听起来是个好方法;但那不是鲍勃·坦纳所采取的方式。”

“No, sir, you can bet he didn’t, becuz he’s the wartiest boy in this town; —
“不,先生,你可以肯定他没有,因为他是镇上长满疣瘌的小孩; —

and he wouldn’t have a wart on him if he’d knowed how to work spunk-water. —
如果他知道如何使用稀粥水,他身上就不会有一个疣瘌了。” —

I’ve took off thousands of warts off of my hands that way, Huck. I play with frogs so much that I’ve always got considerable many warts. —
我用这种方法将成千上万的疣从手上去掉了,Huck。我和青蛙玩得太多了,所以我手上总是有很多的疣。 —

Sometimes I take ’em off with a bean.”
有时我用豆子把它们拿掉。

“Yes, bean’s good. I’ve done that.”
“是的,豆子不错,我试过。”

“Have you? What’s your way?”
“是吗?那你是怎么做的?”

“You take and split the bean, and cut the wart so as to get some blood, and then you put the blood on one piece of the bean and take and dig a hole and bury it ’bout midnight at the crossroads in the dark of the moon, and then you burn up the rest of the bean. —
“你把豆子劈开,割破疣以获取一些血液,然后把血涂在一片豆子上,在午夜时分的十字路口挖个坑,月黑之时埋下去,然后把剩下的豆子烧掉。 —

You see that piece that’s got the blood on it will keep drawing and drawing, trying to fetch the other piece to it, and so that helps the blood to draw the wart, and pretty soon off she comes.”
你看,那片有血的豆子会一直吸引,试图把另一片豆子吸过来,所以它帮助血液把疣吸出来,很快疣就会掉下来。”

“Yes, that’s it, Huck—that’s it; though when you’re burying it if you say ‘Down bean; —
“是的,Huck,就是这样;不过在埋豆子的时候,如果你说‘下去吧,豆子;消失吧,疣病;不再来困扰我!’效果更好。” —

off wart; come no more to bother me!’ it’s better. —
这是Joe Harper的方法,他几乎去过库恩维尔和几乎每个地方。 —

That’s the way Joe Harper does, and he’s been nearly to Coonville and most everywheres. —

But say—how do you cure ’em with dead cats?”
但是告诉我,如何用死猫来治好它们呢?

“Why, you take your cat and go and get in the grave-yard ’long about midnight when somebody that was wicked has been buried; —
哎呀,你拿着你的猫,在午夜左右去墓地,找个坏人埋葬的地方; —

and when it’s midnight a devil will come, or maybe two or three, but you can’t see ’em, you can only hear something like the wind, or maybe hear ’em talk; —
等到午夜的时候,一个恶魔会来,也许还有两三个,但你看不见他们,只能听到类似风声的东西,或者听到他们说话; —

and when they’re taking that feller away, you heave your cat after ’em and say, ‘Devil follow corpse, cat follow devil, warts follow cat, I’m done with ye! —
当他们抬起那个家伙时,你扔掉猫,并说:“魔鬼跟随尸体,猫跟随魔鬼,疣跟随猫,我不再理你们了!” —

’ That’ll fetch any wart.”
这样就能让任何疣消失了。

“Sounds right. D’you ever try it, Huck?”
听起来对了。你试过这样做吗,哈克?

“No, but old Mother Hopkins told me.”
没有,但老霍普金斯夫人告诉过我。

“Well, I reckon it’s so, then. Becuz they say she’s a witch.”
那我想是真的了。因为他们说她是个巫婆。

“Say! Why, Tom, I know she is. She witched pap. Pap says so his own self. —
你听说了!汤姆,你知道她真的是巫婆。我爸爸就说她是。 —

He come along one day, and he see she was a-witching him, so he took up a rock, and if she hadn’t dodged, he’d a got her. —
有一天,他经过那里,看见她在对他下咒,所以他拿起一块石头,如果她没有躲开的话,他就会打到她。 —

Well, that very night he rolled off’n a shed wher’ he was a layin drunk, and broke his arm.”
那天晚上,他从一个他躺在的棚子上滚了下来,醉得不省人事,摔断了手臂。

“Why, that’s awful. How did he know she was a-witching him?”
嗨,那太可怕了。他是怎么知道她在迷惑他呢?

“Lord, pap can tell, easy. Pap says when they keep looking at you right stiddy, they’re a-witching you. —
天哪,爸爸能轻易看出来。爸爸说,当他们一直盯着你看,他们就是在对你施咒。 —

Specially if they mumble. Becuz when they mumble they’re saying the Lord’s Prayer backards.”
特别是他们呢喃自语的时候。因为当他们呢喃时,他们在倒读主祷文。

“Say, Hucky, when you going to try the cat?”
说,哈基,你什么时候试试那只猫?

“To-night. I reckon they’ll come after old Hoss Williams to-night.”
今晚。我猜他们今晚会来找老霍斯·威廉姆斯。

“But they buried him Saturday. Didn’t they get him Saturday night?”
但是他们周六埋葬他了。他们周六晚上找到他了吗?

“Why, how you talk! How could their charms work till midnight? —
哎呀,你怎么这么说!他们的咒语怎么能到午夜之前发挥作用? —

—and then it’s Sunday. Devils don’t slosh around much of a Sunday, I don’t reckon.”
而且那时是星期天。魔鬼星期天几乎不乱转,我猜。

“I never thought of that. That’s so. Lemme go with you?”
我从没想过这个。对了。让我和你一起去?

“Of course—if you ain’t afeard.”
当然可以——如果你不怕的话。

“Afeard! ’Tain’t likely. Will you meow?”
怕!不太可能。你会喵喵叫吗?

“Yes—and you meow back, if you get a chance. —
会的,如果你有机会的话,你也喵喵叫回去。 —

Last time, you kep’ me a-meowing around till old Hays went to throwing rocks at me and says ‘Dern that cat! —
上次,你让我在哈斯老爷子朝我扔石头的时候一直喵喵叫,他说:“咒那只猫!” —

’ and so I hove a brick through his window—but don’t you tell.”
然后我就扔了一块砖头进他的窗户里——但是你可别告诉别人。

“I won’t. I couldn’t meow that night, becuz auntie was watching me, but I’ll meow this time. —
“好的,我不会说的。那天晚上我没法喵喵叫,因为姨妈在看着我,但这次我要喵喵叫。” —

Say—what’s that?”
“说,那是什么东西?”

“Nothing but a tick.”
“只是一只虱子。”

“Where’d you get him?”
“你哪里弄来的?”

“Out in the woods.”
“在树林里。”

“What’ll you take for him?”
“你要卖多少钱?”

“I don’t know. I don’t want to sell him.”
“我不知道。我不想卖。”

“All right. It’s a mighty small tick, anyway.”
“行吧。反正这个虱子挺小的。”

“Oh, anybody can run a tick down that don’t belong to them. —
“噢,任何人都能追到不是自己的虱子。” —

I’m satisfied with it. It’s a good enough tick for me.”
“我对它很满意。对我来说它已经是一只不错的虱子了。”

“Sho, there’s ticks a plenty. I could have a thousand of ’em if I wanted to.”
“噢,虱子多得是。如果我愿意,我可以有一千只。”

“Well, why don’t you? Becuz you know mighty well you can’t. —
“那你为什么不弄一千只呢?因为你很清楚你办不到。” —

This is a pretty early tick, I reckon. It’s the first one I’ve seen this year.”
“我想这是一只相当早的虱子。今年我见到的第一只。”

“Say, Huck—I’ll give you my tooth for him.”
“嘿,哈克,我可以用我的牙齿来交换他。”

“Less see it.”
“让我看看。”

Tom got out a bit of paper and carefully unrolled it. —
汤姆拿出一张纸,小心地展开它。 —

Huckleberry viewed it wistfully. The temptation was very strong. At last he said:
哈克伤感地注视着它。诱惑力非常大。最后他说:

“Is it genuwyne?”
“这是真的吗?”

Tom lifted his lip and showed the vacancy.
汤姆撇起嘴唇,露出空虚。

“Well, all right,” said Huckleberry, “it’s a trade.”
“好吧,”哈克贴心道,“这是一笔交易。”

Tom enclosed the tick in the percussion-cap box that had lately been the pinchbug’s prison, and the boys separated, each feeling wealthier than before.
汤姆把这张纸条放进最近成为捕虫夹牢笼的火帽盒子里,两个男孩分别离开,每个人都感觉比以前更富有了。

When Tom reached the little isolated frame school-house, he strode in briskly, with the manner of one who had come with all honest speed. —
当汤姆到达那座孤立的小木质学校大楼时,他精神焕发地步伐匆忙进去。 —

He hung his hat on a peg and flung himself into his seat with business-like alacrity. —
他把帽子挂在挂钩上,迅速地扔下自己坐下。 —

The master, throned on high in his great splint-bottom arm-chair, was dozing, lulled by the drowsy hum of study. —
坐在高高的大块木制扶手椅上的校长正在打盹,被沉沉的学习声催眠着。 —

The interruption roused him.
这个打断把他惊醒了。

“Thomas Sawyer!”
“托马斯·索亚!”

Tom knew that when his name was pronounced in full, it meant trouble.
汤姆知道当他的全名被叫出来时,意味着麻烦。

“Sir!”
“先生!”

“Come up here. Now, sir, why are you late again, as usual?”
“过来。现在,先生,你为什么又晚了,像往常一样?”

Tom was about to take refuge in a lie, when he saw two long tails of yellow hair hanging down a back that he recognized by the electric sympathy of love; —
汤姆正要编造一个谎言来掩饰,但他看到了两缕黄头发垂下的背影,他凭借爱情的电磁共鸣辨认出了那个人; —

and by that form was the only vacant place on the girls’ side of the school-house. He instantly said:
“而且正好是女生那边唯一的空位。他立刻说道:

I stopped to talk with Huckleberry Finn!
“我停下来和霍克贝瑞·芬聊天了!”

The master’s pulse stood still, and he stared helplessly. The buzz of study ceased. —
校长的脉搏停止了,他目瞪口呆。学习的嘈杂声停下来了。 —

The pupils wondered if this foolhardy boy had lost his mind. The master said:
学生们纳闷这个鲁莽的男孩是否失去了理智。校长说:

“You—you did what?”
“你——你做了什么?”

“Stopped to talk with Huckleberry Finn.”
“停下来和哈克菲洞爵士说话。”

There was no mistaking the words.
这句话再清楚不过了。

“Thomas Sawyer, this is the most astounding confession I have ever listened to. —
“托马斯·索亚,这是我听过的最令人惊讶的自白。” —

No mere ferule will answer for this offence. —
这种罪行不能只用小棍子来惩罚。 —

Take off your jacket.”
脱下你的夹克。”

The master’s arm performed until it was tired and the stock of switches notably diminished. —
主人的手臂不停地挥动,直到疲倦,小棍子的数量明显减少。 —

Then the order followed:
然后发出命令:

“Now, sir, go and sit with the girls! And let this be a warning to you.”
“现在,先生,去和女孩们坐在一起!这应该是个警告。”

The titter that rippled around the room appeared to abash the boy, but in reality that result was caused rather more by his worshipful awe of his unknown idol and the dread pleasure that lay in his high good fortune. —
教室里掀起一阵窃笑,似乎让男孩尴尬不已,但实际上这种结果更多是因为他对他未知偶像的崇敬敬畏,以及他高度的幸运所带来的忧患愉悦。 —

He sat down upon the end of the pine bench and the girl hitched herself away from him with a toss of her head. —
他坐在松木长凳的一端,女孩摆脱了他,扭动着脑袋。 —

Nudges and winks and whispers traversed the room, but Tom sat still, with his arms upon the long, low desk before him, and seemed to study his book.
教室里传来了挤肘、眨眼和窃窃私语,但汤姆静坐着,双臂放在他面前的长长的低桌上,似乎在专心地看书。

By and by attention ceased from him, and the accustomed school murmur rose upon the dull air once more. —
不久之后,人们不再关注他,而熟悉的学校嘈杂声再次在沉闷的空气中响起。 —

Presently the boy began to steal furtive glances at the girl. —
很快,男孩开始偷偷地瞥向女孩。 —

She observed it, “made a mouth” at him and gave him the back of her head for the space of a minute. —
她注意到了,对他做了个鬼脸,转过头来不看他一分钟。 —

When she cautiously faced around again, a peach lay before her. She thrust it away. —
当她小心翼翼地再次转过身时,一个桃子摆在她面前。她推开了它。 —

Tom gently put it back. She thrust it away again, but with less animosity. —
汤姆轻轻把它放回去。她再次推开它,但不那么敌意十足。 —

Tom patiently returned it to its place. Then she let it remain. —
汤姆耐心地把它放回去。然后她让它留在那里。 —

Tom scrawled on his slate, “Please take it—I got more. —
汤姆在石板上乱涂乱写,“请拿走吧——我还有。”女孩看了一眼这些字,但没有表示。 —

” The girl glanced at the words, but made no sign. —
现在男孩开始用左手隐藏他正在石板上画的东西。 —

Now the boy began to draw something on the slate, hiding his work with his left hand. —
有一段时间,女孩拒绝注意到,但她的人类好奇心不久前开始表露出来,具体表现出几乎察觉不到的迹象。 —

For a time the girl refused to notice; but her human curiosity presently began to manifest itself by hardly perceptible signs. —
男孩继续工作,表面上毫不知情。 —

The boy worked on, apparently unconscious. —
女孩慢慢开始注意到,男孩的行动。 —

The girl made a sort of non-committal attempt to see, but the boy did not betray that he was aware of it. —
这个女孩做出了一种毫不决定性的尝试去看,但男孩没有表现出他意识到这一点。 —

At last she gave in and hesitatingly whispered:
最后,她让步,畏缩地低声说道:

“Let me see it.”
“让我看看。”

Tom partly uncovered a dismal caricature of a house with two gable ends to it and a corkscrew of smoke issuing from the chimney. —
汤姆部分揭开了一个充满忧郁氛围的滑稽房屋的模仿画,房屋有两个山墙,从烟囱中冒出一道螺旋状的烟。 —

Then the girl’s interest began to fasten itself upon the work and she forgot everything else. —
然后女孩的兴趣开始集中在这件作品上,她忘记了其他一切。 —

When it was finished, she gazed a moment, then whispered:
当作品完成时,她凝视了片刻,然后低声说道:

“It’s nice—make a man.”
“好漂亮—再画一个男人。”

The artist erected a man in the front yard, that resembled a derrick. —
这位艺术家在前院竖起了一个看起来像起重机的男人。 —

He could have stepped over the house; but the girl was not hypercritical; —
他可以跨过房子,但女孩并不过分挑剔; —

she was satisfied with the monster, and whispered:
她对这个怪物感到满意,低声说道:

“It’s a beautiful man—now make me coming along.”
“一个漂亮的男人—现在画我走过来。”

Tom drew an hour-glass with a full moon and straw limbs to it and armed the spreading fingers with a portentous fan. The girl said:
汤姆画了一个带着满月和稻草四肢的沙漏,并用一个令人担忧的扇子装备了展开的指头。女孩说:

“It’s ever so nice—I wish I could draw.”
“太好了—我希望我也会画。”

“It’s easy,” whispered Tom, “I’ll learn you.”
“很简单,”汤姆低声说道,“我会教你的。”

“Oh, will you? When?”
“哦,你会吗?什么时候?”

“At noon. Do you go home to dinner?”
“中午。你回家吃午饭吗?”

“I’ll stay if you will.”
“如果你留下,我也会留下。”

“Good—that’s a whack. What’s your name?”
“好的,那太好了。你叫什么名字?”

“Becky Thatcher. What’s yours? Oh, I know. It’s Thomas Sawyer.”
“贝基·撒切尔。你呢?哦,我知道。你是汤姆·索亚。”

“That’s the name they lick me by. I’m Tom when I’m good. You call me Tom, will you?”
“那是他们叫我的名字。我做好事时叫汤姆。你叫我汤姆,好吗?”

“Yes.”
“好的。”

Now Tom began to scrawl something on the slate, hiding the words from the girl. —
现在,汤姆开始在写字板上涂鸦,把字遮住了,不让女孩看到。 —

But she was not backward this time. She begged to see. Tom said:
但这次她不会退缩了。她一直请求着要看。汤姆说:

“Oh, it ain’t anything.”
“哦,这没什么。”

“Yes it is.”
“是有的。”

“No it ain’t. You don’t want to see.”
“不是的,你不想看。”

“Yes I do, indeed I do. Please let me.”
“是的,我真的很想看。请让我看。”

“You’ll tell.”
“你会告诉别人的。”

“No I won’t—deed and deed and double deed won’t.”
“不会,我真的不会——真的、真的、万真的。”

“You won’t tell anybody at all? Ever, as long as you live?”
“你真的不会告诉任何人吗?就算你活到永远?”

“No, I won’t ever tell anybody. Now let me.”
“不,我永远不会告诉任何人。现在让我看看。”

“Oh, you don’t want to see!”
“哦,你不想看!”

“Now that you treat me so, I will see. —
“既然你这样对我,我就要看了。” —

” And she put her small hand upon his and a little scuffle ensued, Tom pretending to resist in earnest but letting his hand slip by degrees till these words were revealed: —
“她把小手放在他的手上,一场小争斗随之而来,汤姆假装认真地抗拒,但是他的手慢慢滑落,直到出现了这些字眼:” —

I love you.”
“我爱你。”

“Oh, you bad thing!” And she hit his hand a smart rap, but reddened and looked pleased, nevertheless.
“哦,你这坏蛋!”她狠狠地打了他一下,但脸红了,看起来还是很高兴。

Just at this juncture the boy felt a slow, fateful grip closing on his ear, and a steady lifting impulse. —
就在这时,男孩感到耳朵被一个缓慢而决定性的力量紧紧抓住,并且有一种持续的向上的力量。 —

In that wise he was borne across the house and deposited in his own seat, under a peppering fire of giggles from the whole school. —
他以这种方式被带过整个教室,然后被放置在自己的座位上,整个学校的同学们都在咯咯地笑个不停。 —

Then the master stood over him during a few awful moments, and finally moved away to his throne without saying a word. —
然后老师站在他身上,持续了几个可怕的瞬间,最后默默地走开,回到自己的宝座上,一言不发。 —

But although Tom’s ear tingled, his heart was jubilant.
但虽然汤姆的耳朵发烫,他的心却欢欣鼓舞。

As the school quieted down Tom made an honest effort to study, but the turmoil within him was too great. —
当学校变得安静下来时,汤姆努力学习,但他内心的动荡太大。 —

In turn he took his place in the reading class and made a botch of it; —
轮到他参加阅读课了,结果弄得一塌糊涂; —

then in the geography class and turned lakes into mountains, mountains into rivers, and rivers into continents, till chaos was come again; —
然后是地理课,把湖泊搞成了山脉,山脉变成了河流,河流变成了大陆,乱象再次出现; —

then in the spelling class, and got “turned down,” by a succession of mere baby words, till he brought up at the foot and yielded up the pewter medal which he had worn with ostentation for months.
接着是拼写课,被一连串的幼稚字眼“打倒”,最终他排到了最末尾,放下了他曾经摆弄了几个月的锡牌奖章。