I
第一章

ON the morning of October 6, 1885, a well-dressed young man presented himself at the office of the police superintendent of the 2nd division of the S. district, and announced that his employer, a retired cornet of the guards, called Mark Ivanovitch Klyauzov, had been murdered. —-
1885年10月6日早上,一个衣着入时的年轻人来到S区第二分局警长办公室,宣称他的雇主,退休的近卫军号手马克·伊万诺维奇·克里亚佐夫被谋杀了。 —-

The young man was pale and extremely agitated as he made this announcement. —-
这个年轻人脸色苍白,非常激动地作出了这个宣称。 —-

His hands trembled and there was a look of horror in his eyes.
他的手颤抖着,眼中带着恐怖之色。

“To whom have I the honour of speaking?” the superintendent asked him.
“请问您是哪位?”警长询问他。

“Psyekov, Klyauzov’s steward. Agricultural and engineering expert.”
“赛柯夫,克里亚佐夫的管家。农业和工程专家。”

The police superintendent, on reaching the spot with Psyekov and the necessary witnesses, found the position as follows.
警长在赛柯夫和必要的见证人陪同下,到达现场后,所见情况如下。

Masses of people were crowding about the lodge in which Klyauzov lived. —-
人群拥挤在克里亚佐夫住所的门廊周围。 —-

The news of the event had flown round the neighbourhood with the rapidity of lightning, and, thanks to its being a holiday, the people were flocking to the lodge from all the neighbouring villages. —-
这一事件的消息瞬间传遍了周围的地区,由于当天是假日,人们从附近的村庄涌向门廊。 —-

There was a regular hubbub of talk. Pale and tearful faces were to be seen here and there. —-
四处可见苍白而泪眼汪汪的面孔,人们交头接耳议论纷纷。 —-

The door into Klyauzov’s bedroom was found to be locked. —-
发现克里亚佐夫卧室的门被锁住。 —-

The key was in the lock on the inside.
钥匙在内部的锁孔里。

“Evidently the criminals made their way in by the window” Psyekov observed, as they examined the door.
“显然罪犯是通过窗户进入的。”赛柯夫在检查门时观察到。

They went into the garden into which the bedroom window looked. —-
他们走进了望向卧室窗户的花园。 —-

The window had a gloomy, ominous air. It was covered by a faded green curtain. —-
窗户给人一种阴森恐怖的氛围,覆盖着一块褪色的绿色窗帘。 —-

One corner of the curtain was slightly turned back, which made it possible to peep into the bedroom.
窗帘的一角被轻轻掀开,可以窥探卧室内部。

“Has anyone of you looked in at the window?” inquired the superintendent.
“你们有人从窗户里看过吗?”督察问道。

“No, your honour,” said Yefrem, the gardener, a little, grey-haired old man with the face of a veteran non-commissioned officer. —-
“没有,阁下,”园丁叶弗连姆说道,他是一个有点萎缩、灰发的老人,脸上有着一名老兵下士的模样。 —-

“No one feels like looking when they are shaking in every limb!”
“当人身体发抖时,谁都不会想往外看!”

“Ech, Mark Ivanitch! Mark Ivanitch!” sighed the superintendent, as he looked at the window. —-
“噢,马尔科维奇!马尔科维奇!”督察叹了口气,看着窗户。 —-

“I told you that you would come to a bad end! —-
“我告诉过你会有个糟糕的结局! —-

I told you, poor dear—you wouldn’t listen! —-
“我告诉了你,可怜的亲爱的——你没听进去!” —-

Dissipation leads to no good!”
“堕落不会有好结果!”

“It’s thanks to Yefrem,” said Psyekov. “We should never have guessed it but for him. —-
“多亏了叶弗连姆,”普谢科夫说道。“如果不是他,我们怎么也想不到。 —-

It was he who first thought that something was wrong. He came to me this morning and said: —-
是他最先意识到有问题。今天早上他来找我说: —-

‘Why is it our master hasn’t waked up for so long? —-
‘我们的主人怎么这么久都没醒过来? —-

He hasn’t been out of his bedroom for a whole week! —-
他已经连续一个星期没有离开卧室了! —-

When he said that to me I was struck all of a heap . . . . —-
他对我说这话时,我听得目瞪口呆…… —-

The thought flashed through my mind at once. —-
我脑海中马上闪过这个念头。 —-

He hasn’t made an appearance since Saturday of last week, and to-day’s Sunday. —-
他自从上个星期六以来就没有出现过,而今天是星期天。 —-

Seven days is no joke!”
七天可不是开玩笑的!”

“Yes, poor man,” the superintendent sighed again. —-
“是的,可怜的人”,主管再次叹了口气。 —-

“A clever fellow, well-educated, and so good-hearted. —-
“聪明的家伙,受过良好的教育,如此善良。 —-

There was no one like him, one may say, in company. But a rake; the kingdom of heaven be his! —-
这样的人在公司中独一无二。但是一个放荡的人;愿上帝保佑他! —-

I’m not surprised at anything with him! —-
对他的任何事我都不感到惊讶! —-

Stepan,” he said, addressing one of the witnesses, “ride off this minute to my house and send Andryushka to the police captain’s, let him report to him. —-
斯捷潘,”他对其中一个证人说道,“马上回到我家,把安德鲁什卡送到警长那里,让他向他报告。 —-

Say Mark Ivanitch has been murdered! Yes, and run to the inspector—why should he sit in comfort doing nothing? —-
告诉他马克·伊万尼奇被谋杀了!是的,并且去找检察官,为什么他可以舒舒服服地什么也不做? —-

Let him come here. And you go yourself as fast as you can to the examining magistrate, Nikolay Yermolaitch, and tell him to come here. —-
让他来这里。你自己尽快去找审讯法官尼古拉·耶尔莫拉伊奇,请他来这里。 —-

Wait a bit, I will write him a note.”
等一下,我会给他写一封纸条。

The police superintendent stationed watchmen round the lodge, and went off to the steward’s to have tea. —-
警察局长派了守卫员在小屋周围守夜,然后去管家那里喝茶。 —-

Ten minutes later he was sitting on a stool, carefully nibbling lumps of sugar, and sipping tea as hot as a red-hot coal.
十分钟后,他坐在凳子上,小心地咬着糖块,喝着热得像红炭的茶。

“There it is! . . .” he said to Psyekov, “there it is! . . . —-
“就是这样!他对普谢科夫说,“就是这样! —-

a gentleman, and a well-to-do one, too . . . —-
一个绅士,一个富有的人… —-

a favourite of the gods, one may say, to use Pushkin’s expression, and what has he made of it? —-
一个信奉神祗的人,可以这么说吧,用普希金的话来说,他是被上天特别喜爱的人,但他对此做了什么? —-

Nothing! He gave himself up to drinking and debauchery, and . . —-
什么都没有!他沉溺于饮酒和放荡,结果… —-

. here now . . . he has been murdered!”
就在这儿…他被谋杀了!”

Two hours later the examining magistrate drove up. —-
两个小时后,审讯法官驱车而至。 —-

Nikolay Yermolaitch Tchubikov (that was the magistrate’s name), a tall, thick-set old man of sixty, had been hard at work for a quarter of a century. —-
尼古拉·耶尔莫拉伊奇·丘比科夫(法官的名字如此),一个身材高大,结实的60岁老人,已经工作了25年。 —-

He was known to the whole district as an honest, intelligent, energetic man, devoted to his work. —-
他被整个区域认为是一个诚实、聪明、精力充沛,对工作忠诚的人。 —-

His invariable companion, assistant, and secretary, a tall young man of six and twenty, called Dyukovsky, arrived on the scene of action with him.
他的恒定伴侣,助手和秘书,一个26岁的年轻高个子,叫杜科夫斯基的人,和他一起来到行动现场。

“Is it possible, gentlemen?” Tchubikov began, going into Psyekov’s room and rapidly shaking hands with everyone. —-
“这可能吗,先生们?”丘比科夫走进普谢科夫的房间,迅速与每个人握手。 —-

“Is it possible? Mark Ivanitch? Murdered? —-
“这不可能!不可能!” —-

No, it’s impossible! Imposs-i-ble!”
不,不可能!不可…能!

“There it is,” sighed the superintendent
“就是这里了。”警长叹息道。

“Merciful heavens! Why I saw him only last Friday. At the fair at Tarabankovo! —-
“天哪!我上个星期五才在塔拉班科沃集市上见过他!” —-

Saving your presence, I drank a glass of vodka with him!”
“请原谅,我曾和他喝过一杯伏特加!”

“There it is,” the superintendent sighed once more.
警长又一次叹息道。

They heaved sighs, expressed their horror, drank a glass of tea each, and went to the lodge.
他们叹了口气,表达了他们的恐惧,每人喝了一杯茶,然后去了小屋。

“Make way!” the police inspector shouted to the crowd.
“让开!”警察检查员向人群喊道。

On going into the lodge the examining magistrate first of all set to work to inspect the door into the bedroom. —-
进入小屋后,审讯法官首先开始检查通往卧室的门。 —-

The door turned out to be made of deal, painted yellow, and not to have been tampered with. —-
门是用黄色涂漆的松木做成的,未被人拆动过。 —-

No special traces that might have served as evidence could be found. —-
没有发现作为证据的特殊痕迹。 —-

They proceeded to break open the door.
他们开始强行打开门。

“I beg you, gentlemen, who are not concerned, to retire,” said the examining magistrate, when, after long banging and cracking, the door yielded to the axe and the chisel. —-
“各位,请你们这些与此事无关的人都离开,”审讯法官说道,当门终于被斧子和凿子撬开时。 —-

“I ask this in the interests of the investigation. . —-
“我请求这是为了调查的利益……检查员,不要让任何人进来!” —-

. . Inspector, admit no one!”
切比科夫,他的助手和警长打开了门,一个接一个地迟疑地走进了房间。

Tchubikov, his assistant, and the police superintendent opened the door and hesitatingly, one after the other, walked into the room. —-
他们的眼前出现了以下景象。在这个孤窗中间有一张大木床,上面摆着一个巨大的羽绒床垫。 —-

The following spectacle met their eyes. In the solitary window stood a big wooden bedstead with an immense feather bed on it. —-
他们的眼前出现了以下景象. 在这扇唯一的窗户上有一张很大的木床,上面放着一张巨大的羽毛床垫。 —-

On the rumpled feather bed lay a creased and crumpled quilt. —-
在起皱的羽毛床上铺着一床弯曲褶皱的被子。 —-

A pillow, in a cotton pillow case—also much creased, was on the floor. —-
一个枕头,被一块褶皱的棉枕套包裹着,放在地板上。 —-

On a little table beside the bed lay a silver watch, and silver coins to the value of twenty kopecks. —-
在床边的一张小桌子上放着一只银表和价值二十戈比的银币。 —-

Some sulphur matches lay there too. Except the bed, the table, and a solitary chair, there was no furniture in the room. —-
桌子上还放着硫磺火柴。除了床、桌子和一把孤独的椅子,房间里没有其他家具。 —-

Looking under the bed, the superintendent saw two dozen empty bottles, an old straw hat, and a jar of vodka. —-
管理员俯身看了床底下,看到了两打空瓶子、一顶旧草帽和一个罐子的伏特加酒。 —-

Under the table lay one boot, covered with dust. —-
桌子下面铺着一只覆盖着灰尘的靴子。 —-

Taking a look round the room, Tchubikov frowned and flushed crimson.
查看完房间后,楚比科夫皱了皱眉头,脸涨得通红。

“The blackguards!” he muttered, clenching his fists.
“这帮坏蛋!”他嘟囔着,握紧了拳头。

“And where is Mark Ivanitch?” Dyukovsky asked quietly.
“马尔科夫斯基在哪里?”杜科夫斯基平静地问道。

“I beg you not to put your spoke in,” Tchubikov answered roughly. “Kindly examine the floor. —-
“我恳请您不要插手,”楚比科夫粗暴地回答说,“请好好检查地板。 —-

This is the second case in my experience, Yevgraf Kuzmitch,” he added to the police superintendent, dropping his voice. —-
这是我经历的第二个案件,叶夫格拉夫·库兹米奇,”他压低声音对警察局长说。 —-

“In 1870 I had a similar case. But no doubt you remember it. . . . —-
“1870年,我有过一个类似的案子。不过你毫无疑问还记得吧…… —-

The murder of the merchant Portretov. It was just the same. —-
那个商人波特列托夫的谋杀案。情况完全一样。 —-

The blackguards murdered him, and dragged the dead body out of the window.”
这帮坏蛋谋杀了他,然后把他的尸体拖出窗外。”

Tchubikov went to the window, drew the curtain aside, and cautiously pushed the window. The window opened.
楚比科夫走到窗前,掀开窗帘,小心地推开窗户。窗户打开了。

“It opens, so it was not fastened. . . . H’m there are traces on the window-sill. Do you see? —-
“它打开了,所以没有被扣紧……嗯,在窗台上有痕迹……你看见了吗? —-

Here is the trace of a knee. . . . Some one climbed out. . . . —-
这是膝盖的痕迹……有人爬出去了…… —-

We shall have to inspect the window thoroughly.”
我们必须彻底检查一下窗户。”

“There is nothing special to be observed on the floor,” said Dyukovsky. —-
“地板上没有什么特别的东西,”迪科夫斯基说。 —-

“No stains, nor scratches. The only thing I have found is a used Swedish match. Here it is. —-
“没有污渍,也没有划痕。我找到的唯一的东西是一根用过的瑞典火柴。就是这个。 —-

As far as I remember, Mark Ivanitch didn’t smoke; —-
据我记得,马克·伊凡尼奇不抽烟; —-

in a general way he used sulphur ones, never Swedish matches. —-
一般来说,他使用硫磺火柴,从不用瑞典火柴。 —-

This match may serve as a clue. . . .”
这根火柴可能成为一个线索……”

“Oh, hold your tongue, please!” cried Tchubikov, with a wave of his hand. —-
“噢,请闭嘴!”特奇比科夫大喊一声,挥了挥手。 —-

“He keeps on about his match! I can’t stand these excitable people! —-
“他还在为他的火柴而发牢骚!我无法忍受这些兴奋的人! —-

Instead of looking for matches, you had better examine the bed!”
你最好检查一下床!不要再找火柴了!”

On inspecting the bed, Dyukovsky reported:
在检查床上时,迪科夫斯基报告说:

“There are no stains of blood or of anything else. . . . Nor are there any fresh rents. —-
“没有血迹,也没有其他任何痕迹……也没有新的破损。 —-

On the pillow there are traces of teeth. —-
枕头上有牙齿的痕迹。 —-

A liquid, having the smell of beer and also the taste of it, has been spilt on the quilt. . . . —-
有一种带有啤酒味和味道的液体洒在了被子上…… —-

The general appearance of the bed gives grounds for supposing there has been a struggle.”
床的一般外观表明可能发生了搏斗。

“I know there was a struggle without your telling me! —-
“我知道发生了搏斗,不用你告诉我!” —-

No one asked you whether there was a struggle. —-
没有人问你是否发生了搏斗。 —-

Instead of looking out for a struggle you had better be . . .”
与其寻找搏斗的痕迹,你最好是……”

“One boot is here, the other one is not on the scene.”
“一只靴子在这里,另一只不在现场。”

“Well, what of that?”
“那又怎样?”

“Why, they must have strangled him while he was taking off his boots. —-
“噢,他们一定是在他脱掉靴子时勒死他的。” —-

He hadn’t time to take the second boot off when . . . .”
“他没来得及脱下第二只靴子,当时……”

“He’s off again! . . . And how do you know that he was strangled?”
“他又发疯了!你怎么知道他是被勒死的?”

“There are marks of teeth on the pillow. —-
“枕头上有牙齿痕迹。” —-

The pillow itself is very much crumpled, and has been flung to a distance of six feet from the bed.”
“枕头本身非常皱巴巴,被扔到床距离有六英尺远。”

“He argues, the chatterbox! We had better go into the garden. —-
“他辩论个没完!我们最好去花园。” —-

You had better look in the garden instead of rummaging about here. . —-
“你最好在花园里找,别在这里乱翻。” —-

. . I can do that without your help.”
“……我自己可以做到,不需要你的帮助。”

When they went out into the garden their first task was the inspection of the grass. —-
当他们走出花园时,第一项任务是检查草坪。 —-

The grass had been trampled down under the windows. —-
窗户下的草地已经被踩坏了。 —-

The clump of burdock against the wall under the window turned out to have been trodden on too. —-
窗户下的墙边一丛牛蒡被人也踩扁了。 —-

Dyukovsky succeeded in finding on it some broken shoots, and a little bit of wadding. —-
杜科夫斯基成功地在上面找到了一些破碎的嫩芽和一点火药渣。 —-

On the topmost burrs, some fine threads of dark blue wool were found.
最上面的牛蒡上发现了一些细细的深蓝色毛线。

“What was the colour of his last suit? Dyukovsky asked Psyekov.
“他最后一套衣服是什么颜色的?”杜科夫斯基问普谢科夫。

“It was yellow, made of canvas.”
“是黄色的,用帆布做的。”

“Capital! Then it was they who were in dark blue. . . .”
“太好了!那么穿暗蓝色的人就是他们……”

Some of the burrs were cut off and carefully wrapped up in paper. —-
在纸上仔细包起来了一些牛蒡。 —-

At that moment Artsybashev-Svistakovsky, the police captain, and Tyutyuev, the doctor, arrived. —-
就在这时,警察局长阿尔琴巴舍夫-斯维斯塔科夫斯基和医生图特耶夫赶到了。 —-

The police captain greeted the others, and at once proceeded to satisfy his curiosity; —-
警官向其他人问好,立刻满足了他的好奇心; —-

the doctor, a tall and extremely lean man with sunken eyes, a long nose, and a sharp chin, greeting no one and asking no questions, sat down on a stump, heaved a sigh and said:
医生是个个子高高、极瘦的人,双眼凹陷、鼻子长长、下巴尖尖,他不和任何人打招呼,也不问问题,坐在一根树桩上,叹了口气说道:

“The Serbians are in a turmoil again! I can’t make out what they want! —-
“塞尔维亚人又闹翻天了!我搞不清他们想干什么! —-

Ah, Austria, Austria! It’s your doing!”
啊,奥地利,奥地利!都是你闹的!”

The inspection of the window from outside yielded absolutely no result; —-
从外面检查窗户完全没有结果; —-

the inspection of the grass and surrounding bushes furnished many valuable clues. —-
检查草地和周围的灌木却提供了很多有价值的线索。 —-

Dyukovsky succeeded, for instance, in detecting a long, dark streak in the grass, consisting of stains, and stretching from the window for a good many yards into the garden. —-
迪乌科夫斯基成功地发现了一条长长的,黑暗的草坪上的痕迹,由污渍组成,从窗户一直伸展到花园里好几码远。 —-

The streak ended under one of the lilac bushes in a big, brownish stain. —-
而痕迹在一棵紫丁香灌木丛下结束,留下了一个大的,褐色的污渍。 —-

Under the same bush was found a boot, which turned out to be the fellow to the one found in the bedroom.
在同一棵灌木丛下发现了一只靴子,结果证明它是卧室里找到的那只靴子的同伴。

“This is an old stain of blood,” said Dyukovsky, examining the stain.
“这是一个旧的血迹,”迪乌科夫斯基检查着血迹说道。

At the word “blood,” the doctor got up and lazily took a cursory glance at the stain.
听到“血”这个词,医生站起来,懒洋洋地扫视了一下血迹。

“Yes, it’s blood,” he muttered.
“是的,是血,”他喃喃道。

“Then he wasn’t strangled since there’s blood,” said Tchubikov, looking malignantly at Dyukovsky.
“那么他没有被勒死,因为这里有血,”丘比科夫恶狠狠地看着迪乌科夫斯基说道。

“He was strangled in the bedroom, and here, afraid he would come to, they stabbed him with something sharp. —-
“他是在卧室里被勒死的,然后这里,怕他醒来,他们用尖锐的东西刺伤了他。 —-

The stain under the bush shows that he lay there for a comparatively long time, while they were trying to find some way of carrying him, or something to carry him on out of the garden.”
灌木丛下的血迹表明他在那里躺了相当长的一段时间,当他们试图找到一种搬运他的方法,或者找到一种搬运他的东西时。”

“Well, and the boot?”
“那么,靴子呢?”

“That boot bears out my contention that he was murdered while he was taking off his boots before going to bed. —-
“这只靴子证实了我的观点,他在脱去靴子准备上床睡觉时被谋杀。 —-

He had taken off one boot, the other, that is, this boot he had only managed to get half off. —-
他脱了一只靴子,另一只靴子,也就是这只靴子,他只脱了一半。 —-

While he was being dragged and shaken the boot that was only half on came off of itself. . . .”
当他被拖拽和摇晃时,只脱了一半的靴子自己脱下来了……”

“What powers of deduction! Just look at him!” Tchubikov jeered. “He brings it all out so pat! —-
“你看他这个推断的能力!看看他!”丘比科夫嘲笑道。“他把所有的都解释得头头是道! —-

And when will you learn not to put your theories forward? —-
你什么时候才能学会不要提出你的理论呢? —-

You had better take a little of the grass for analysis instead of arguing!”
你最好取一点草进行分析,而不是争论!

After making the inspection and taking a plan of the locality they went off to the steward’s to write a report and have lunch. —-
在查看了现场并绘制了当地的平面图后,他们去找管家写报告并吃午饭。 —-

At lunch they talked.
午饭时他们谈了一些事情。

“Watch, money, and everything else . . . are untouched,” Tchubikov began the conversation. —-
“表、钱和其他东西……都没有被动过”,丘比科夫开口说。 —-

“It is as clear as twice two makes four that the murder was committed not for mercenary motives.”
“很显然,谋杀不是出于金钱动机。”

“It was committed by a man of the educated class,” Dyukovsky put in.
“这是受过教育的人干的”,迪科夫斯基插话道。

“From what do you draw that conclusion?”
“你从哪里得出这个结论?”

“I base it on the Swedish match which the peasants about here have not learned to use yet. —-
“我是根据农民们还不会使用的瑞典火柴得出的结论。” —-

Such matches are only used by landowners and not by all of them. —-
这种火柴只有地主们才用,并非所有地主都用。 —-

He was murdered, by the way, not by one but by three, at least: —-
他被谋杀了,而且不止一人,至少是三人: —-

two held him while the third strangled him. —-
两人按住他,第三个勒死了他。 —-

Klyauzov was strong and the murderers must have known that.”
克利乌佐夫很强壮,凶手们一定知道这一点。

“What use would his strength be to him, supposing he were asleep?”
“如果他正在睡觉,他的力气有什么用?”

“The murderers came upon him as he was taking off his boots. —-
“凶手们在他脱掉靴子时袭击了他。 —-

He was taking off his boots, so he was not asleep.”
他正在脱靴子,所以他不是在睡觉。”

“It’s no good making things up! You had better eat your lunch!”
“编造事情可不好!你最好把午饭吃掉!”

“To my thinking, your honour,” said Yefrem, the gardener, as he set the samovar on the table, “this vile deed was the work of no other than Nikolashka.”
“我认为,阁下,”园丁叶弗列姆一边将茶炊放在桌子上一边说道,“这恶劣行为无疑是尼古拉什卡所为。”

“Quite possible,” said Psyekov.
“有可能,”彼谢科夫说道。

“Who’s this Nikolashka?”
“尼古拉什卡是谁?”

“The master’s valet, your honour,” answered Yefrem. “Who else should it be if not he? —-
“阁下,他是主人的贴身仆人,”叶弗列姆答道,“除了他还能是谁呢?” —-

He’s a ruffian, your honour! A drunkard, and such a dissipated fellow! —-
“阁下,他是一个恶棍!一个酒鬼,一个放荡不羁的家伙!” —-

May the Queen of Heaven never bring the like again! —-
“愿天后陛下永远不会再出现这样的人!” —-

He always used to fetch vodka for the master, he always used to put the master to bed. . . . —-
他总是给主人买伏特加,总是把主人安顿下来睡觉…… —-

Who should it be if not he? And what’s more, I venture to bring to your notice, your honour, he boasted once in a tavern, the rascal, that he would murder his master. —-
如果不是他,那会是谁呢?更重要的是,我敢向您提醒,阁下,那个流氓曾自吹自擂,在酒吧里说他要杀死他的主人。 —-

It’s all on account of Akulka, on account of a woman. . . . He had a soldier’s wife. . . . —-
这全都是因为阿库尔卡,因为一个女人……他有一个士兵的妻子…… —-

The master took a fancy to her and got intimate with her, and he . . . —-
主人迷上了她并与她亲近,而他…… —-

was angered by it, to be sure. He’s lolling about in the kitchen now, drunk. —-
对此很生气,确实是。他现在醉倒在厨房里。 —-

He’s crying . . . making out he is grieving over the master . . . .”
他在哭……假装是因为主人而悲伤……

“And anyone might be angry over Akulka, certainly,” said Psyekov. —-
“对阿库尔卡,任何人都可能生气,当然”,普肖科夫说道。 —-

“She is a soldier’s wife, a peasant woman, but . . . —-
她是一个士兵的妻子,一个农妇,但是… —-

Mark Ivanitch might well call her Nana. There is something in her that does suggest Nana . —-
马克·伊万尼奇很可能会叫她纳娜。她身上确实有一些纳娜的特点… —-

. . fascinating . . .”
…迷人…

“I have seen her . . . I know . . .” said the examining magistrate, blowing his nose in a red handkerchief.
“我见过她…我知道…” 调查法官说着,在一块红色手帕里擤鼻子。

Dyukovsky blushed and dropped his eyes. The police superintendent drummed on his saucer with his fingers. —-
杜科夫斯基脸红了,垂下了眼睛。警察局长用手指敲打着他的茶碟。 —-

The police captain coughed and rummaged in his portfolio for something. —-
警长咳嗽了一下,翻找着手提包里的东西。 —-

On the doctor alone the mention of Akulka and Nana appeared to produce no impression. —-
医生似乎对提到阿库尔卡和纳娜没有任何反应。 —-

Tchubikov ordered Nikolashka to be fetched. —-
图比科夫命令把尼古拉什卡叫来。 —-

Nikolashka, a lanky young man with a long pock-marked nose and a hollow chest, wearing a reefer jacket that had been his master’s, came into Psyekov’s room and bowed down to the ground before Tchubikov. —-
尼古拉什卡,一个个子高高、长着一个布满麻子的长鼻子和凹陷胸口的年轻人,穿着一件曾经是他主人的紧身上衣,走进了普谢科夫的房间,向图比科夫深深地鞠了一躬。 —-

His face looked sleepy and showed traces of tears. —-
他的脸看起来昏昏欲睡,有泪痕。 —-

He was drunk and could hardly stand up.
他喝醉了,几乎站不稳。

“Where is your master?” Tchubikov asked him.
“你的主人在哪里?” 图比科夫问他。

“He’s murdered, your honour.”
“他被谋杀了,阁下。”

As he said this Nikolashka blinked and began to cry.
Nikolashka说完,眨了眨眼睛,开始哭了起来。

“We know that he is murdered. But where is he now? Where is his body?”
“我们知道他被谋杀了。但他现在在哪里?他的尸体在哪里?”

“They say it was dragged out of window and buried in the garden.”
“据说它被拉出窗户,埋在花园里。”

“H’m . . . the results of the investigation are already known in the kitchen then. . . . —-
“嗯…厨房里已经知道调查结果了吗…” —-

That’s bad. My good fellow, where were you on the night when your master was killed? —-
“那不好。我的好家伙,你在主人被杀的那个晚上在哪里?” —-

On Saturday, that is?”
“就在星期六,对吗?”

Nikolashka raised his head, craned his neck, and pondered.
尼古拉什卡抬起头,伸长脖子,陷入沉思。

“I can’t say, your honour,” he said. “I was drunk and I don’t remember.”
“我说不清,阁下”,他说。“我当时喝醉了,记不起来。”

“An alibi!” whispered Dyukovsky, grinning and rubbing his hands.
“有不在场证明!”迪科夫斯基低声说着,咧嘴一笑,搓着手。

“Ah! And why is it there’s blood under your master’s window!”
“啊!那为什么有血在你主人的窗户下面!”

Nikolashka flung up his head and pondered.
尼古拉什卡抬起头,陷入沉思。

“Think a little quicker,” said the police captain.
“再想一想快点”,警长说道。

“In a minute. That blood’s from a trifling matter, your honour. I killed a hen; —-
“马上。那血是因为一件小事,阁下。我杀了一只母鸡; —-

I cut her throat very simply in the usual way, and she fluttered out of my hands and took and ran off. —-
我很简单地按照通常的方法割了她的喉咙,她从我手中飞出并跑掉了。 —-

. . .That’s what the blood’s from.”
..那血就是那只母鸡留下的。”

Yefrem testified that Nikolashka really did kill a hen every evening and killed it in all sorts of places, and no one had seen the half-killed hen running about the garden, though of course it could not be positively denied that it had done so.
耶夫雷姆证实尼古拉什卡确实每天晚上都会杀一只母鸡,而且他会在各种地方杀,虽然当然不能肯定那只被割伤的母鸡是否会在花园里乱跑。

“An alibi,” laughed Dyukovsky, “and what an idiotic alibi.”
“有不在场证明。”迪科夫斯基笑着说,“真是个愚蠢的不在场证明。”

“Have you had relations with Akulka?”
“你和阿库尔卡发生过关系吗?”

“Yes, I have sinned.”
“是的,我犯了罪。”

“And your master carried her off from you?”
“你的主人把她从你那里带走了吗?”

“No, not at all. It was this gentleman here, Mr. Psyekov, Ivan Mihalitch, who enticed her from me, and the master took her from Ivan Mihalitch. —-
“不,完全不是。是这位先生,彼谢科夫,伊凡·米哈里奇,诱惑她离开了我,然后主人把她从伊凡·米哈里奇那里带走了。” —-

That’s how it was.”
“事情就是这样。”

Psyekov looked confused and began rubbing his left eye. —-
彼谢科夫感到困惑,开始揉搓他的左眼。 —-

Dyukovsky fastened his eyes upon him, detected his confusion, and started. —-
杜科夫斯基盯着他,发现了他的困惑,吃了一惊。 —-

He saw on the steward’s legs dark blue trousers which he had not previously noticed. —-
他看到管家的腿上有一条他之前没注意到的深蓝色裤子。 —-

The trousers reminded him of the blue threads found on the burdock. —-
裤子让他想起了在牛蒡上找到的蓝色丝线。 —-

Tchubikov in his turn glanced suspiciously at Psyekov.
丘比科夫猛然对彼谢科夫投以怀疑的目光。

“You can go!” he said to Nikolashka. —-
“你可以走了!”他对尼古拉什卡说。 —-

“And now allow me to put one question to you, Mr. Psyekov. —-
“现在请允许我问你一个问题,彼谢科夫先生。 —-

You were here, of course, on the Saturday of last week?
上周六你当然是在这里吗?

“Yes, at ten o’clock I had supper with Mark Ivanitch.”
“是的,十点钟我和马尔克·伊万尼奇一起吃晚饭。”

“And afterwards?”
“之后呢?”

Psyekov was confused, and got up from the table.
彼谢科夫感到困惑,站起来离开了桌子。

“Afterwards . . . afterwards . . . I really don’t remember,” he muttered. —-
“之后…之后…我真的不记得了,”他嘟囔着说道。 —-

“I had drunk a good deal on that occasion. . . . I can’t remember where and when I went to bed. —-
“那时候我喝了不少酒……我不记得自己是在哪里和什么时候上床睡觉的。” —-

. . . Why do you all look at me like that? —-
“…你们为什么都这样看着我?” —-

As though I had murdered him!”
好像我杀了他似的!”

“Where did you wake up?”
“你在哪里醒来的?”

“I woke up in the servants’ kitchen on the stove . . . . —-
“我是在仆人的厨房的炉子上醒来的……” —-

They can all confirm that. How I got on to the stove I can’t say. . . .”
他们都可以证实这一点。我不知道自己是怎么跑到炉子上去的……”

“Don’t disturb yourself . . . Do you know Akulina?”
“不要打扰你自己…你认识阿库丽娜吗?”

“Oh well, not particularly.”
“噢,嗯,不特别认识。”

“Did she leave you for Klyauzov?”
“她是不是为了克利扬佐夫离开了你?”

“Yes. . . . Yefrem, bring some more mushrooms! Will you have some tea, Yevgraf Kuzmitch?”
“是的…… 叶夫列姆,再来点蘑菇!你要来点茶吗,叶夫格拉夫·库兹米奇?”

There followed an oppressive, painful silence that lasted for some five minutes. —-
接着是一段沉闷而痛苦的寂静,持续了大约五分钟。 —-

Dyukovsky held his tongue, and kept his piercing eyes on Psyekov’s face, which gradually turned pale. —-
杜科夫斯基保持沉默,并将锐利的目光集中在彼谢科夫苍白的脸上。 —-

The silence was broken by Tchubikov.
寂静被丘比科夫打破了。

“We must go to the big house,” he said, “and speak to the deceased’s sister, Marya Ivanovna. —-
“我们必须去大房子,”他说,“和已故的姐姐玛丽娅·伊万诺夫娜谈谈。 —-

She may give us some evidence.”
她可能会给我们一些证据。”

Tchubikov and his assistant thanked Psyekov for the lunch, then went off to the big house. —-
楚比科夫和他的助手感谢普西科夫的午餐,然后去了大房子。 —-

They found Klyauzov’s sister, a maiden lady of five and forty, on her knees before a high family shrine of ikons. —-
他们在一个家族神龛前的地板上找到了克吕佐夫的姐姐,一个四十五岁的姑娘。 —-

When she saw portfolios and caps adorned with cockades in her visitors’ hands, she turned pale.
当她看到来访者手中的文件夹和带有徽章的帽子时,她变得苍白。

“First of all, I must offer an apology for disturbing your devotions, so to say,” the gallant Tchubikov began with a scrape. —-
“首先,我必须为打扰你的祈祷道歉,”殷勤的楚比科夫开始说。 —-

“We have come to you with a request. You have heard, of course, already. . . . —-
“我们来找你有一个请求。你当然已经听说了. . . —-

There is a suspicion that your brother has somehow been murdered. God’s will, you know. . . . —-
有人怀疑你的兄弟是被谋杀的。如上帝的旨意,你知道. . . —-

Death no one can escape, neither Tsar nor ploughman. —-
死,无论是沙皇还是农民,都无法逃避。 —-

Can you not assist us with some fact, something that will throw light?”
请你不妨提供一些事实,一些能够揭示真相的事情。”

“Oh, do not ask me!” said Marya Ivanovna, turning whiter still, and hiding her face in her hands. —-
“哦,不要问我!”玛丽娅·伊万诺夫娜说,脸色更白了,双手遮住了脸。 —-

“I can tell you nothing! Nothing! I implore you! I can say nothing . . . What can I do? —-
“我什么也不能告诉你!什么也没有!我恳求你!我什么也不能说. . . 我能做些什么? —-

Oh, no, no . . . not a word . . . of my brother! —-
哦,不,不. . . 一字不提. . . 关于我的兄弟! —-

I would rather die than speak!”
我宁愿死也不愿说!”

Marya Ivanovna burst into tears and went away into another room. —-
玛丽娅·伊万诺夫娜哭了起来,走进了另一个房间。 —-

The officials looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders, and beat a retreat.
官员们相互看了看,耸了耸肩,然后撤退了。

“A devil of a woman!” said Dyukovsky, swearing as they went out of the big house. —-
“这个女人太可恶了!”迪尤科夫斯基说着诅咒的话,离开了大房子。 —-

“Apparently she knows something and is concealing it. —-
“显然她知道一些东西并且在隐瞒着。 —-

And there is something peculiar in the maid-servant’s expression too. . . . —-
而且女仆的表情也很奇怪…… —-

You wait a bit, you devils! We will get to the bottom of it all!”
你们等着,该死的家伙们!我们会查个水落石出!”

In the evening, Tchubikov and his assistant were driving home by the light of a pale-faced moon; —-
傍晚时分,楚比科夫和他的助手在淡白的月光下回家了; —-

they sat in their waggonette, summing up in their minds the incidents of the day. —-
他们坐在马车上,把一天发生的事情在脑海中总结了一遍。 —-

Both were exhausted and sat silent. Tchubikov never liked talking on the road. —-
两个人都筋疲力尽,保持沉默。在路上楚比科夫从来不喜欢讲话。 —-

In spite of his talkativeness, Dyukovsky held his tongue in deference to the old man. —-
迪尤科夫斯基虽然健谈,但出于对老人的尊敬,他也保持着沉默。 —-

Towards the end of the journey, however, the young man could endure the silence no longer, and began:
然而在旅程结束之际,年轻人再也忍受不了寂静,开始说话:

“That Nikolashka has had a hand in the business,” he said, “non dubitandum est. —-
“尼古拉什卡对这件事有牵连,毫无疑问。 —-

One can see from his mug too what sort of a chap he is. . . . —-
从他那张脸也可以看出他是个什么样的家伙…… —-

His alibi gives him away hand and foot. There is no doubt either that he was not the instigator of the crime. —-
他的不在场证明成全了他。毫无疑问,他也不是这起案件的策划者。 —-

He was only the stupid hired tool. Do you agree? —-
他只是个愚蠢的雇佣工具。你同意吗? —-

The discreet Psyekov plays a not unimportant part in the affair too. —-
唐私克夫的谨慎在这件事中也扮演了一个重要的角色。 —-

His blue trousers, his embarrassment, his lying on the stove from fright after the murder, his alibi, and Akulka.”
他的蓝色裤子,他的尴尬,他因为害怕而躺在炉子上,他的不在场证明,还有阿库尔卡。

“Keep it up, you’re in your glory! According to you, if a man knows Akulka he is the murderer. —-
继续吧,你正兴奋得不得了!按照你的说法,如果一个人认识阿库尔卡他就是凶手。 —-

Ah, you hot-head! You ought to be sucking your bottle instead of investigating cases! —-
啊,你这个脾气暴躁的家伙!你应该吃奶瓶而不是调查案件! —-

You used to be running after Akulka too, does that mean that you had a hand in this business?”
你过去也追求过阿库尔卡,这是否意味着你有什么关系?

“Akulka was a cook in your house for a month, too, but . . . I don’t say anything. —-
阿库尔卡在你家做了一个月的厨师,但是……我什么都没说。 —-

On that Saturday night I was playing cards with you, I saw you, or I should be after you too. —-
那个星期六晚上我和你一起打牌,我看见你了,否则我可能追踪你。 —-

The woman is not the point, my good sir. The point is the nasty, disgusting, mean feeling. . . . —-
女人不是重点,亲爱的先生。重点是那种讨厌、令人讨厌的卑鄙感觉…… —-

The discreet young man did not like to be cut out, do you see. Vanity, do you see. . . . —-
谦虚的年轻人不喜欢被挤兑,你明白吗。虚荣心,你明白吗…… —-

He longed to be revenged. Then . . . His thick lips are a strong indication of sensuality. —-
他渴望报复。然后……他那厚嘴唇显示出他肉欲的强烈欲望。 —-

Do you remember how he smacked his lips when he compared Akulka to Nana? —-
你还记得他比较阿库尔卡和娜娜时是怎么咂嘴的吗? —-

That he is burning with passion, the scoundrel, is beyond doubt! —-
这恶棍肯定是在燃烧着激情! —-

And so you have wounded vanity and unsatisfied passion. That’s enough to lead to murder. —-
所以你有受伤的虚荣心和不满足的激情。这已经足够导致谋杀了。 —-

Two of them are in our hands, but who is the third? Nikolashka and Psyekov held him. —-
我们掌握了两个人,但是第三个是谁?尼古拉什卡和普谢科夫抓住了他。 —-

Who was it smothered him? Psyekov is timid, easily embarrassed, altogether a coward. —-
到底是谁把他闷死了?普谢科夫胆小怕事,完全是个懦夫。 —-

People like Nikolashka are not equal to smothering with a pillow, they set to work with an axe or a mallet. —-
像尼古拉什卡这样的人不适合用枕头闷死,他们会用斧头或者木槌动手。 —-

. . . Some third person must have smothered him, but who?”
. . . 一定是某个第三者闷死了他,但是是谁呢?

Dyukovsky pulled his cap over his eyes, and pondered. —-
杜科夫斯基把帽子拉住眼睛,沉思着。 —-

He was silent till the waggonette had driven up to the examining magistrate’s house.
直到四轮马车驶到了审判官的家门口,他一直保持沉默。

“Eureka!” he said, as he went into the house, and took off his overcoat. —-
“天啊!”他说着走进了屋子,脱掉了外套。 —-

“Eureka, Nikolay Yermolaitch! I can’t understand how it is it didn’t occur to me before. —-
“天啊,尼古拉·耶尔马拉希奇!我不明白为什么我之前没有想到。 —-

Do you know who the third is?”
你知道第三个人是谁吗?

“Do leave off, please! There’s supper ready. Sit down to supper!”
“拜托,别这样。晚餐已经准备好了。坐下来吃饭吧!”

Tchubikov and Dyukovsky sat down to supper. —-
特吉布科夫和杜科夫斯基坐下来吃饭。 —-

Dyukovsky poured himself out a wine-glassful of vodka, got up, stretched, and with sparkling eyes, said:
杜科夫斯基给自己倒了一杯伏特加,站起来伸了个懒腰,眼睛闪闪发光地说道:

“Let me tell you then that the third person who collaborated with the scoundrel Psyekov and smothered him was a woman! —-
“让我告诉你,与无耻的普舍科夫合作闷死他的第三个人是一个女人! —-

Yes! I am speaking of the murdered man’s sister, Marya Ivanovna!”
是的!我说的是被谋杀者的妹妹,玛丽亚·伊万诺芙娜!”

Tchubikov coughed over his vodka and fastened his eyes on Dyukovsky.
特吉布科夫喝伏特加的时候咳嗽了一下,然后盯着杜科夫斯基。

“Are you . . . not quite right? Is your head . . . not quite right? Does it ache?”
“你……没问题吧?你的头……没有问题吧?你头疼吗?”

“I am quite well. Very good, suppose I have gone out of my mind, but how do you explain her confusion on our arrival? —-
“我很好。也好,假设我疯了,但是你怎么解释她在我们到达时的困惑呢? —-

How do you explain her refusal to give information? Admitting that that is trivial—very good! —-
你怎么解释她拒绝提供信息呢?假设这些细节微不足道,好吧! —-

All right!—but think of the terms they were on! She detested her brother! —-
好吧!——但想想他们之间的关系吧!她憎恶她的兄弟! —-

She is an Old Believer, he was a profligate, a godless fellow . . . —-
她是一个旧教徒,他是一个放荡、无神论的家伙…… —-

that is what has bred hatred between them! —-
这就是导致他们之间仇恨的原因! —-

They say he succeeded in persuading her that he was an angel of Satan! —-
他们说他成功地让她相信他是撒旦的天使! —-

He used to practise spiritualism in her presence!”
他过去在她的面前练习心灵感应!

“Well, what then?”
嗯,然后呢?

“Don’t you understand? She’s an Old Believer, she murdered him through fanaticism! —-
你难道不明白吗?她是一个旧教徒,她出于狂热主义杀害了他! —-

She has not merely slain a wicked man, a profligate, she has freed the world from Antichrist—and that she fancies is her merit, her religious achievement! —-
她不仅杀死了一个邪恶的人,一个放荡的人,她还解放了世界免受邪教的侵害——她认为这是她的功绩,她的宗教成就! —-

Ah, you don’t know these old maids, these Old Believers! You should read Dostoevsky! —-
啊,你不了解这些老女人,这些旧教徒!你应该读读陀思妥耶夫斯基! —-

And what does Lyeskov say . . . and Petchersky! It’s she, it’s she, I’ll stake my life on it. —-
Lyeskov和Petchersky都说了什么……就是她,就是她,我可以拿我的生命打赌。 —-

She smothered him! Oh, the fiendish woman! —-
她闷死了他!哦,这个恶魔般的女人! —-

Wasn’t she, perhaps, standing before the ikons when we went in to put us off the scent? —-
也许,我们进去的时候她正站在圣像前装模作样吧,企图让我们迷失方向? —-

‘I’ll stand up and say my prayers,’ she said to herself, ‘they will think I am calm and don’t expect them. —-
“我会站起来祈祷的”,她对自己说,“他们会认为我很平静,不会对他们有期望。” —-

’ That’s the method of all novices in crime. Dear Nikolay Yermolaitch! My dear man! —-
这是所有犯罪新手的方法。亲爱的尼古拉伊尔马拉伊奇!我亲爱的朋友! —-

Do hand this case over to me! Let me go through with it to the end! My dear fellow! —-
请把这个案件交给我!让我把它进行到底!亲爱的同志! —-

I have begun it, and I will carry it through to the end.”
我已经开始了,我会坚持到底。

Tchubikov shook his head and frowned.
楚毕科夫摇了摇头,皱起了眉头。

“I am equal to sifting difficult cases myself,” he said. —-
“我自己能够处理复杂的案件,”他说。 —-

“And it’s your place not to put yourself forward. —-
“你的职责不是突出自己。 —-

Write what is dictated to you, that is your business!”
写下给你口述的内容,这是你的工作!”

Dyukovsky flushed crimson, walked out, and slammed the door.
杜科夫斯基脸涨得通红,走了出去,砰地关上了门。

“A clever fellow, the rogue,” Tchubikov muttered, looking after him. “Ve-ery clever! —-
“聪明的家伙,这淘气鬼,”楚毕科夫在他走后自言自语地说道,“非常聪明! —-

Only inappropriately hasty. I shall have to buy him a cigar-case at the fair for a present.”
只是过于匆忙。我得在集市上给他买个雪茄盒当礼物。”

Next morning a lad with a big head and a hare lip came from Klyauzovka. —-
第二天早上,一个头很大,唇裂的小伙子从克卢兹夫卡来了。 —-

He gave his name as the shepherd Danilko, and furnished a very interesting piece of information.
他自称为牧羊人达尼尔科,提供了一条非常有趣的信息。

“I had had a drop,” said he. “I stayed on till midnight at my crony’s. —-
“我喝了点酒,”他说,“我在我哥们那儿呆到了半夜。 —-

As I was going home, being drunk, I got into the river for a bathe. —-
我回家的时候,因为喝醉了,就跳进河里洗澡。 —-

I was bathing and what do I see! Two men coming along the dam carrying something black. ‘Tyoo! —-
我正在洗澡,你猜我看到了什么!有两个人沿着坝走过来,他们背着一些黑色的东西。‘咂! —-

’ I shouted at them. They were scared, and cut along as fast as they could go into the Makarev kitchen-gardens. —-
’我朝他们大喊。他们吓坏了,拼命逃到了马卡列夫的菜园里。 —-

Strike me dead, if it wasn’t the master they were carrying!”
要是他们背着的不是主人,我就死定了!”

Towards evening of the same day Psyekov and Nikolashka were arrested and taken under guard to the district town. —-
同一天傍晚,普谢科夫和尼古拉夏卡被捕并被带到区镇监狱。 —-

In the town they were put in the prison tower.
在城里, 他们被关进了监狱塔。

II
第二章

Twelve days passed.
十二天过去了。

It was morning. The examining magistrate, Nikolay Yermolaitch, was sitting at a green table at home, looking through the papers, relating to the “Klyauzov case”; —-
早晨,审讯官尼古拉伊尔莫莱奇坐在家中的一张绿色桌子旁,翻阅与“克柳佐夫案”有关的文件。 —-

Dyukovsky was pacing up and down the room restlessly, like a wolf in a cage.
杜科夫斯基坐立不安地在房间里来回踱步,像个笼中的狼。

“You are convinced of the guilt of Nikolashka and Psyekov,” he said, nervously pulling at his youthful beard. —-
“你确信尼古拉夏卡和普谢科夫的罪行”,他紧张地拽着自己年轻的胡须说道。 —-

“Why is it you refuse to be convinced of the guilt of Marya Ivanovna? —-
“为什么你拒绝相信玛丽亚·伊万诺夫娜的罪行呢?你还需要更多的证据吗?” —-

Haven’t you evidence enough?”
“我不是说我不相信。我确信,但我不知道为什么我不能相信……没有确凿的证据。都是理论上的……狂热和其他的东西……”

“I don’t say that I don’t believe in it. —-
“你还想要一把斧头和沾满血迹的床单吗!你这些律师!” —-

I am convinced of it, but somehow I can’t believe it. . . . There is no real evidence. —-
“好吧,我会向你证明的!别对这个案子的心理因素态度如此草率。你的玛丽亚·伊万诺夫娜应该被送到西伯利亚!我会证明的。” —-

It’s all theoretical, as it were. . . . —-
请你把你的意图告诉我。”。 —-

Fanaticism and one thing and another. . . .”

“And you must have an axe and bloodstained sheets! . . . You lawyers! —-
“如果每个犯罪现场都找不到血迹和凶器的话,那岂不是都免罪了?”。 —-

Well, I will prove it to you then! Do give up your slip-shod attitude to the psychological aspect of the case. —-
“那你怎么会说玛丽亚·伊万诺夫娜是有罪的呢?” —-

Your Marya Ivanovna ought to be in Siberia! I’ll prove it. —-
“诺日琴科不是冤枉人,是两个人太凶残了。” —-

If theoretical proof is not enough for you, I have something material. . . . —-
如果你对理论证明还不够确信,我有一些实质性的东西…… —-

It will show you how right my theory is! —-
它将向你展示我的理论是多么正确! —-

Only let me go about a little!”
只要让我再研究一下!

“What are you talking about?”
“你在说什么?”

“The Swedish match! Have you forgotten? I haven’t forgotten it! —-
“瑞典火柴!你忘了吗?我可没有忘! —-

I’ll find out who struck it in the murdered man’s room! —-
我会找出是谁在被害人的房间里划的火柴! —-

It was not struck by Nikolashka, nor by Psyekov, neither of whom turned out to have matches when searched, but a third person, that is Marya Ivanovna. —-
它不是尼古拉什卡划的,也不是普谢科夫划的,他们被搜查时都没有火柴,而是玛丽亚·伊万诺夫娜。 —-

And I will prove it! . . . Only let me drive about the district, make some inquiries. . . .”
我会证明的!只要让我在区域内调查一下……”

“Oh, very well, sit down. . . . Let us proceed to the examination.”
“噢,好吧,坐下吧……我们继续审问。”

Dyukovsky sat down to the table, and thrust his long nose into the papers.
杜科夫斯基坐在桌前,把他长长的鼻子埋进文件中。

“Bring in Nikolay Tetchov!” cried the examining magistrate.
“把尼古拉·特切洛夫带进来!”审判官喊道。

Nikolashka was brought in. He was pale and thin as a chip. He was trembling.
尼古拉什卡被带进来。他脸色苍白,瘦得像根木片。他颤抖着。

“Tetchov!” began Tchubikov. “In 1879 you were convicted of theft and condemned to a term of imprisonment. —-
“特切洛夫!在1879年你因盗窃罪被判刑,并被送进监狱。 —-

In 1882 you were condemned for theft a second time, and a second time sent to prison . —-
在1882年,你第二次被判盗窃罪并再次被送进了监狱。 —-

. . We know all about it. . . .”
我们都知道这些……”

A look of surprise came up into Nikolashka’s face. —-
一个惊讶的表情浮现在尼古拉夏卡的脸上。 —-

The examining magistrate’s omniscience amazed him, but soon wonder was replaced by an expression of extreme distress. —-
审讯法官的无所不知使他感到惊讶,但很快奇迹被极度痛苦的表情所代替。 —-

He broke into sobs, and asked leave to go to wash, and calm himself. He was led out.
他突然哭泣起来,请求离开去洗个澡,冷静下来。他被领出去了。

“Bring in Psyekov!” said the examining magistrate.
“把普谢科夫带进来!”审讯法官说。

Psyekov was led in. The young man’s face had greatly changed during those twelve days. —-
普谢科夫被带进来了。这位年轻人在这十二天里面容发生了很大的变化。 —-

He was thin, pale, and wasted. There was a look of apathy in his eyes.
他变瘦了、苍白了、憔悴了。眼睛里有一种麻木的表情。

“Sit down, Psyekov,” said Tchubikov. —-
“坐下,普谢科夫,”丘比科夫说。 —-

“I hope that to-day you will be sensible and not persist in lying as on other occasions. —-
“我希望你今天能明智些,不要像以前一样一直撒谎。 —-

All this time you have denied your participation in the murder of Klyauzov, in spite of the mass of evidence against you. —-
这么长时间你一直否认参与克里扬佐夫的谋杀,尽管有大量证据指向你。 —-

It is senseless. Confession is some mitigation of guilt. —-
这是毫无意义的。认罪是对罪行的某种缓解。 —-

To-day I am talking to you for the last time. —-
今天是我最后一次跟你谈话。 —-

If you don’t confess to-day, to-morrow it will be too late. —-
如果你今天不认罪,明天就为时已晚。 —-

Come, tell us. . . .”
快告诉我们吧……”

“I know nothing, and I don’t know your evidence,” whispered Psyekov.
“我什么都不知道,也不了解你们的证据,”普谢科夫低声说。

“That’s useless! Well then, allow me to tell you how it happened. —-
“那就没用了!好吧,让我告诉你发生了什么。” —-

On Saturday evening, you were sitting in Klyauzov’s bedroom drinking vodka and beer with him. —-
星期六晚上,你和Klyauzov坐在卧室里,喝着伏特加和啤酒。 —-

” (Dyukovsky riveted his eyes on Psyekov’s face, and did not remove them during the whole monologue. —-
“(Dyukovsky的眼睛紧盯着Psyekov的脸,整个独白过程中一直没有离开过。 —-

) “Nikolay was waiting upon you. Between twelve and one Mark Ivanitch told you he wanted to go to bed. —-
)“尼古拉正在伺候你。十二点到一点之间,马尔科夫·伊万尼奇告诉你他想要去睡觉。 —-

He always did go to bed at that time. While he was taking off his boots and giving you some instructions regarding the estate, Nikolay and you at a given signal seized your intoxicated master and flung him back upon the bed. —-
他总是在那个时间上床睡觉。当他脱掉靴子并给你一些关于庄园的指示时,尼古拉和你在一个暗示下抓住了喝醉的主人,扔回床上。 —-

One of you sat on his feet, the other on his head. —-
你们其中一个坐在他的脚上,另一个坐在他的头上。 —-

At that moment the lady, you know who, in a black dress, who had arranged with you beforehand the part she would take in the crime, came in from the passage. —-
就在那时,你们事先安排好她会在这个罪行中扮演的角色的那位女士,穿着黑色的裙子,从门廊走了进来。 —-

She picked up the pillow, and proceeded to smother him with it. —-
她捡起枕头,开始用它来闷他。 —-

During the struggle, the light went out. —-
在斗争中,灯熄灭了。 —-

The woman took a box of Swedish matches out of her pocket and lighted the candle. —-
这位女士从口袋里拿出一盒瑞典火柴点燃了蜡烛。 —-

Isn’t that right? I see from your face that what I say is true. Well, to proceed. . . . —-
我从你的脸上看出我的话是对的。那么,继续说下去…… —-

Having smothered him, and being convinced that he had ceased to breathe, Nikolay and you dragged him out of window and put him down near the burdocks. —-
扼死了他,并确信他已经停止呼吸后,尼古拉和你把他拖出窗户,放在了鸭脚草附近。 —-

Afraid that he might regain consciousness, you struck him with something sharp. —-
害怕他可能恢复意识,你用尖锐的东西打了他一下。 —-

Then you carried him, and laid him for some time under a lilac bush. —-
然后你把他抬起来,放在一棵紫丁香树下一段时间。 —-

After resting and considering a little, you carried him . . . lifted him over the hurdle. . . . —-
休息和考虑了一会儿后,你抬起他……越过篱笆…… —-

Then went along the road. . . Then comes the dam; —-
然后沿着路走……然后到了水坝。 —-

near the dam you were frightened by a peasant. —-
在大坝附近,你被一个农民吓到了。 —-

But what is the matter with you?”
但你怎么了?

Psyekov, white as a sheet, got up, staggering.
皮耶科夫苍白如纸,踉跄地站起来。

“I am suffocating!” he said. “Very well. . . . So be it. —-
“我喘不过气来!”他说。“好吧…就这样吧。 —-

. . . Only I must go. . . . Please.”
…只是我必须走…请。”

Psyekov was led out.
皮耶科夫被带出去了。

“At last he has admitted it!” said Tchubikov, stretching at his ease. —-
“他终于承认了!”吉布科夫舒服地伸了个懒腰。 —-

“He has given himself away! How neatly I caught him there.”
“他露出底牌了!我多么巧妙地抓住了他。”

“And he didn’t deny the woman in black!” said Dyukovsky, laughing. —-
“他也没否认那个穿黑衣服的女人!”迪乌科夫斯基笑着说。 —-

“I am awfully worried over that Swedish match, though! —-
“不过我真的很担心那个瑞典火柴!我再也受不了了。再见!我要走了!” —-

I can’t endure it any longer. Good-bye! I am going!”
迪乌科夫斯基戴上帽子离开了。吉布科夫开始询问阿库尔卡。

Dyukovsky put on his cap and went off. Tchubikov began interrogating Akulka.
阿库尔卡声明她对此一无所知……。

Akulka declared that she knew nothing about it. . . .
“我一直和你在一起,没有别人!”她说。

“I have lived with you and with nobody else!” she said.
傍晚六点,迪乌科夫斯基回来了。他比以往更兴奋。

At six o’clock in the evening Dyukovsky returned. He was more excited than ever. —-
—-

His hands trembled so much that he could not unbutton his overcoat. —-
他的手颤抖得无法解开大衣的扣子。 —-

His cheeks were burning. It was evident that he had not come back without news.
他的脸颊发烫。很明显,他不是没有带回消息。

“Veni, vidi, vici!” he cried, dashing into Tchubikov’s room and sinking into an arm-chair. —-
“我来,我见,我胜!”他大喊着冲进楚比科夫的房间,坐在扶手椅上。 —-

“I vow on my honour, I begin to believe in my own genius. Listen, damnation take us! —-
“我发誓以我的荣誉,我开始相信我的天才了。听着,该死的! —-

Listen and wonder, old friend! It’s comic and it’s sad. You have three in your grasp already . —-
听听看,老朋友!这既搞笑又悲伤。你已经掌握了三个了。 —-

. . haven’t you? I have found a fourth murderer, or rather murderess, for it is a woman! —-
. . 不是吗?我找到了第四个凶手,或者说是凶手,因为是一个女人! —-

And what a woman! I would have given ten years of my life merely to touch her shoulders. But . . . —-
而且是一个令人垂涎三尺的女人!仅仅摸一下她的肩膀,我愿意付出十年的生命。但是. . . —-

listen. I drove to Klyauzovka and proceeded to describe a spiral round it. —-
听着。我开车去了克劳佐夫卡,并绕着它画了一个螺旋。 —-

On the way I visited all the shopkeepers and innkeepers, asking for Swedish matches. —-
在路上,我拜访了所有的商店老板和客栈主人,询问瑞典火柴。 —-

Everywhere I was told ‘No.’ I have been on my round up to now. —-
在每个地方,都被告知“没有”。我一直在路上。 —-

Twenty times I lost hope, and as many times regained it. —-
有二十次我失去了希望,又有二十次重新找回了它。 —-

I have been on the go all day long, and only an hour ago came upon what I was looking for. —-
我整天都在忙碌,直到一个小时前才找到我要找的东西。 —-

A couple of miles from here they gave me a packet of a dozen boxes of matches. —-
离这里几英里的地方,他们给了我一包十二盒火柴。 —-

One box was missing . . . I asked at once: ‘Who bought that box?’ ‘So-and-so. —-
少了一盒. . . 我立即问:“谁买了那盒?” “某某人。 —-

She took a fancy to them. . . They crackle.’ My dear fellow! Nikolay Yermolaitch! —-
她对它们感兴趣. . . 它们噼里啪啦地响。”亲爱的兄弟!尼古拉·耶尔莫拉伊奇! —-

What can sometimes be done by a man who has been expelled from a seminary and studied Gaboriau is beyond all conception! —-
曾被开除离开修道院又研究过加博里奥的男子有时堪称匪夷所思! —-

From to- day I shall began to respect myself! . . . —-
从今天起我要开始尊重自己!. . . —-

Ough. . . . Well, let us go!”
哦. . .好吧,我们走吧!

“Go where?”
“去哪里?”

“To her, to the fourth. . . . We must make haste, or . . . I shall explode with impatience! —-
“去找她,第四个. . .我们必须赶快,否则. . .我会迫不及待地爆炸! —-

Do you know who she is? You will never guess. —-
你知道她是谁吗?你猜不到。 —-

The young wife of our old police superintendent, Yevgraf Kuzmitch, Olga Petrovna; —-
我们老警察局长叶夫格拉夫·库兹米奇,奥尔加·彼得罗夫娜的年轻妻子; —-

that’s who it is! She bought that box of matches!”
就是她!她买了那盒火柴!

“You . . . you. . . . Are you out of your mind?”
“你. . .你. . .你疯了吗?”

“It’s very natural! In the first place she smokes, and in the second she was head over ears in love with Klyauzov. —-
“这很自然!第一,她抽烟;第二,她为了克拉乌佐夫深陷爱河。 —-

He rejected her love for the sake of an Akulka. Revenge. —-
他为了一个阿库尔卡拒绝了她的爱。复仇。 —-

I remember now, I once came upon them behind the screen in the kitchen. —-
我现在记起来了,我曾经在厨房的屏风后面遇见过他们。 —-

She was cursing him, while he was smoking her cigarette and puffing the smoke into her face. —-
她在咒骂他,而他则在抽着她的香烟,将烟味吹到她的脸上。 —-

But do come along; make haste, for it is getting dark already . —-
但赶快走吧,已经快天黑了。 —-

. . . Let us go!”
. . . 我们走吧!

“I have not gone so completely crazy yet as to disturb a respectable, honourable woman at night for the sake of a wretched boy!”
“到目前为止,我还没有变得如此疯狂,以至于为了一个可怜的男孩而在深夜打扰一个受人尊敬、体面的女人!”

“Honourable, respectable. . . . You are a rag then, not an examining magistrate! —-
“受人尊敬、体面……那你就是个破布,而不是个审判官!” —-

I have never ventured to abuse you, but now you force me to it! You rag! —-
“我从来没有冒犯过你,但现在你逼得我非得这么做不可了!你这个破布!” —-

you old fogey! Come, dear Nikolay Yermolaitch, I entreat you!”
“你这个老古董!拜托你了,亲爱的尼古拉伊尔玛拉伊奇!”

The examining magistrate waved his hand in refusal and spat in disgust.
审判官摆摆手拒绝,并厌恶地吐了口唾沫。

“I beg you! I beg you, not for my own sake, but in the interests of justice! —-
“我求求你!我不是为了自己,而是为了正义的利益!” —-

I beseech you, indeed! Do me a favour, if only for once in your life!”
“我真恳求你!帮帮我,即使这辈子只帮我一次也好!”

Dyukovsky fell on his knees.
迪科夫斯基跪在地上。

“Nikolay Yermolaitch, do be so good! Call me a scoundrel, a worthless wretch if I am in error about that woman! —-
“尼古拉伊尔马拉伊奇,请帮帮我!如果我对那个女人的事情弄错了,就骂我一个无耻的家伙,一个不值一提的废物吧!” —-

It is such a case, you know! It is a case! More like a novel than a case. —-
这是一个重要的案子,你知道的!这是一个案子!更像是一本小说而不是案子。 —-

The fame of it will be all over Russia. They will make you examining magistrate for particularly important cases! —-
它的名声将传遍整个俄国。他们会让你成为特别重要案件的审判官! —-

Do understand, you unreasonable old man!”
明白了吗,你这个不讲理的老头子!

The examining magistrate frowned and irresolutely put out his hand towards his hat.
审判官皱了皱眉,犹豫不决地伸手去拿帽子。

“Well, the devil take you!” he said, “let us go.”
“好吧,见鬼去吧!”他说道,“我们走吧。”

It was already dark when the examining magistrate’s waggonette rolled up to the police superintendent’s door.
当审判官的马车开到警察局长的门口时,天已经黑了。

“What brutes we are!” said Tchubikov, as he reached for the bell. —-
“我们是多么野蛮啊!”Tchubikov说着,伸手去按铃。 —-

“We are disturbing people.”
“我们打扰人家了。”

“Never mind, never mind, don’t be frightened. —-
“别紧张,别紧张,不要害怕。” —-

We will say that one of the springs has broken.”
“我们可以说弹簧坏了。”

Tchubikov and Dyukovsky were met in the doorway by a tall, plump woman of three and twenty, with eyebrows as black as pitch and full red lips. —-
在门口,Tchubikov和Dyukovsky迎接了一个高大而且丰满的二十三四岁的女人,她的眉毛乌黑如墨,唇红齿白。 —-

It was Olga Petrovna herself.
就是Olga Petrovna自己。

“Ah, how very nice,” she said, smiling all over her face. “You are just in time for supper. —-
“啊,太好了,”她笑得满脸都是,“你们正好赶上晚餐。 —-

My Yevgraf Kuzmitch is not at home. . . . He is staying at the priest’s. —-
我的Yevgraf Kuzmitch没在家……他在牧师家住。 —-

But we can get on without him. Sit down. —-
但是没他我们也能过得去。坐下。 —-

Have you come from an inquiry?”
“你们是来调查的吗?”

“Yes. . . . We have broken one of our springs, you know,” began Tchubikov, going into the drawing-room and sitting down in an easy- chair.
“是的……我们的弹簧坏了,你知道的,”Tchubikov开始说,走进客厅,在一把椅子上坐下。

“Take her by surprise at once and overwhelm her,” Dyukovsky whispered to him.
Dyukovsky对他低声说,“立刻让她猝不及防,打击她。”

“A spring .. . er . . . yes. . . . We just drove up. . . .”
“弹簧……嗯……对……我们刚刚开车过来……”

“Overwhelm her, I tell you! She will guess if you go drawing it out.”
“打击她,我告诉你!如果你整个事情摊开来说她会猜到的。”

“Oh, do as you like, but spare me,” muttered Tchubikov, getting up and walking to the window. —-
“哦,随你的便,但是饶过我吧,”Tchubikov喃喃自语着,站起来走到窗前。 —-

“I can’t! You cooked the mess, you eat it!”
“我不行!你煮这糟糕的东西,你来吃吧!”

“Yes, the spring,” Dyukovsky began, going up to the superintendent’s wife and wrinkling his long nose. —-
“是的,春天。”Dyukovsky 开始说道,走向督察的妻子,皱着长长的鼻子。 —-

“We have not come in to . . . er-er-er . . . supper, nor to see Yevgraf Kuzmitch. —-
“我们不是来……嗯嗯嗯……吃晚饭的,也不是来见 Yevgraf Kuzmitch的。 —-

We have come to ask you, madam, where is Mark Ivanovitch whom you have murdered?”
我们是来问你的,夫人,请告诉我您杀害的 Mark Ivanovitch 在哪里?”

“What? What Mark Ivanovitch?” faltered the superintendent’s wife, and her full face was suddenly in one instant suffused with crimson. —-
督察的妻子结结巴巴地说:“什么?哪个 Mark Ivanovitch?”她满满的脸突然一下子涨红了。 —-

“I . . . don’t understand.”
“我……不明白。”

“I ask you in the name of the law! Where is Klyauzov? We know all about it!”
“我以法律的名义问你!Klyauzov在哪?我们全都知道了!”

“Through whom?” the superintendent’s wife asked slowly, unable to face Dyukovsky’s eyes.
“通过谁?”督察的妻子慢慢地问道,无力面对 Dyukovsky 的眼神。

“Kindly inform us where he is!”
“请告诉我们他在哪!”

“But how did you find out? Who told you?”
“可是你们是怎么知道的?是谁告诉你们的?”

“We know all about it. I insist in the name of the law.”
“我们全都知道了。以法律的名义我要求你。”

The examining magistrate, encouraged by the lady’s confusion, went up to her.
被 lady 的困惑鼓励着,审讯官走近了她。

“Tell us and we will go away. Otherwise we . . .”
“告诉我们我们就会离开。否则我们……”

“What do you want with him?”
“你们想干什么?”

“What is the object of such questions, madam? We ask you for information. —-
“这样的问题有什么意图,夫人?我们要求你提供信息。” —-

You are trembling, confused. . . . Yes, he has been murdered, and if you will have it, murdered by you! —-
你在颤抖,迷惑不解……是的,他被谋杀了,如果你愿意,是你杀的! —-

Your accomplices have betrayed you!”
你的同伙背叛了你们!”

The police superintendent’s wife turned pale.
警察局长的妻子变得苍白。

“Come along,” she said quietly, wringing her hands. “He is hidden in the bath-house. —-
“走吧,”她平静地说着,绞着双手,“他藏在浴室里。 —-

Only for God’s sake, don’t tell my husband! —-
但求你,别告诉我丈夫! —-

I implore you! It would be too much for him.”
我请求你!这对他来说太过分了。”

The superintendent’s wife took a big key from the wall, and led her visitors through the kitchen and the passage into the yard. —-
警察局长的妻子从墙上拿了一把大钥匙,带领着她的访客穿过厨房和过道进入院子。 —-

It was dark in the yard. There was a drizzle of fine rain. —-
院子里黑漆漆的。细雨飘洒。 —-

The superintendent’s wife went on ahead. —-
警察局长的妻子走在前面。 —-

Tchubikov and Dyukovsky strode after her through the long grass, breathing in the smell of wild hemp and slops, which made a squelching sound under their feet. —-
楚比科夫和迪尤科夫斯基跟在她后面,踩在长草中,吸着野麻和洒水的味道,脚底下发出吱吱嘎嘎的声音。 —-

It was a big yard. Soon there were no more pools of slops, and their feet felt ploughed land. —-
院子很大。很快,不再有洒水池,他们的脚感觉到了犁过的地方。 —-

In the darkness they saw the silhouette of trees, and among the trees a little house with a crooked chimney.
在黑暗中,他们看到树的轮廓,树中间有一座带着歪烟囱的小屋子。

“This is the bath-house,” said the superintendent’s wife, “but, I implore you, do not tell anyone.”
“这是浴室,”警察局长的妻子说,“但我恳求你们,不要告诉任何人。”

Going up to the bath-house, Tchubikov and Dyukovsky saw a large padlock on the door.
走近浴室,楚比科夫和迪尤科夫斯基看到门上有一个大挂锁。

“Get ready your candle-end and matches,” Tchubikov whispered to his assistant.
“准备好你的蜡烛稍伦和火柴”,楚比科夫对他的助手低声说道。

The superintendent’s wife unlocked the padlock and let the visitors into the bath-house. —-
总务处长的妻子打开了挂锁,让游客进入了浴室。 —-

Dyukovsky struck a match and lighted up the entry. In the middle of it stood a table. —-
杜克夫斯基划了一根火柴,点亮了门口。它的中间有一张桌子。 —-

On the table, beside a podgy little samovar, was a soup tureen with some cold cabbage-soup in it, and a dish with traces of some sauce on it.
桌子上,放着一个肥胖的小茶壶,里面装着一碗凉的卷心菜汤和一个有某种酱的痕迹的盘子。

“Go on!”
“继续!”

They went into the next room, the bath-room. There, too, was a table. —-
他们走进了下一个房间,浴室。那里也有一张桌子。 —-

On the table there stood a big dish of ham, a bottle of vodka, plates, knives and forks.
桌子上有一盘大的火腿,一瓶伏特加,盘子,刀叉。

“But where is he . . . where’s the murdered man?”
“但是他在哪儿……被杀的人在哪儿?”

“He is on the top shelf,” whispered the superintendent’s wife, turning paler than ever and trembling.
“他在顶层架子上,”总务处长的妻子小声说,比以前更苍白,颤抖着。

Dyukovsky took the candle-end in his hand and climbed up to the upper shelf. —-
杜克夫斯基拿着蜡烛末端,爬上了上层的架子。 —-

There he saw a long, human body, lying motionless on a big feather bed. —-
他在那里看到一具长长的人体,躺在一张大垫子上一动不动。 —-

The body emitted a faint snore. . . .
那具身体发出微弱的打呼声……。

“They have made fools of us, damn it all!” Dyukovsky cried. “This is not he! —-
“他们让我们变成了傻瓜,见鬼!”杜克夫斯基喊道,“这不是他! —-

It is some living blockhead lying here. Hi! —-
这是一些活生生的白痴在这里躺着。嗨! —-

who are you, damnation take you!”
你是谁,该死的家伙!”

The body drew in its breath with a whistling sound and moved. —-
那具身体发出带着呼噜声的吸气声并动了起来。 —-

Dyukovsky prodded it with his elbow. It lifted up its arms, stretched, and raised its head.
杜科夫斯基用肘部戳了一下它。它举起手臂,伸了个懒腰,抬起头来。

“Who is that poking?” a hoarse, ponderous bass voice inquired. “What do you want?”
“是谁在戳我?”一个低沉而沉重的男低音声音询问道,“你有什么事?”

Dyukovsky held the candle-end to the face of the unknown and uttered a shriek. —-
杜科夫斯基把蜡烛末端对准了那个陌生人的脸,发出了一声尖叫。 —-

In the crimson nose, in the ruffled, uncombed hair, in the pitch-black moustaches of which one was jauntily twisted and pointed insolently towards the ceiling, he recognised Cornet Klyauzov.
在那红红的鼻子上,在那凌乱的、未梳整的头发上,在那黑压压的胡须中,其中一根调皮地扭曲并傲慢地指向天花板的胡须上,他认出了克里奥兹中士。

“You. . . . Mark . . . Ivanitch! Impossible!”
“你……马克……伊凡尼奇!不可思议!”

The examining magistrate looked up and was dumbfoundered.
审判官抬起头,目瞪口呆。

“It is I, yes. . . . And it’s you, Dyukovsky! What the devil do you want here? —-
“就是我,没错……而且是你,杜科夫斯基!你到底想干什么? —-

And whose ugly mug is that down there? Holy Saints, it’s the examining magistrate! —-
“那个下面长得这么丑的家伙是谁?天圣圣人,是审判官!” —-

How in the world did you come here?”
你到底是怎么来的?

Klyauzov hurriedly got down and embraced Tchubikov. Olga Petrovna whisked out of the door.
克里奥兹夫匆匆下来,拥抱了楚比科夫。奥尔加·彼得罗夫娜急忙走出门外。

“However did you come? Let’s have a drink!—dash it all! Tra-ta-ti-to-tom . . . . —-
“你怎么来的?来喝一杯!该死的!Tra-ta-ti-to-tom…… —-

Let’s have a drink! Who brought you here, though? —-
来喝一杯!不过你是怎么知道我在这里的?不管怎样!来喝一杯!” —-

How did you get to know I was here? It doesn’t matter, though! Have a drink!”
克里奥兹夫点亮了灯,倒出三杯伏特加。

Klyauzov lighted the lamp and poured out three glasses of vodka.
“事实上,我不明白你。”审判官伸出双手说道。

“The fact is, I don’t understand you,” said the examining magistrate, throwing out his hands. —-
“而事实上,我不明白你。”审判官伸出了手。 —-

“Is it you, or not you?”
“是你吗,还是不是你?”

“Stop that. . . . Do you want to give me a sermon? Don’t trouble yourself! —-
“别那样…你想给我布道吗?别自找麻烦!” —-

Dyukovsky boy, drink up your vodka! Friends, let us pass the . . —-
“杜科夫斯基的小子,喝了你的伏特加!朋友们,让我们通过…” —-

. What are you staring at . . . ? Drink!”
“你看什么…?喝了吧!”

“All the same, I can’t understand,” said the examining magistrate, mechanically drinking his vodka. —-
“不管怎样,我不明白,”审判官机械地喝着伏特加说道。 —-

“Why are you here?”
“你为什么在这里?”

“Why shouldn’t I be here, if I am comfortable here?”
“如果我感觉舒服,为什么不可以呢?”

Klyauzov sipped his vodka and ate some ham.
克里亚佐夫小口地喝了口伏特加,吃了点火腿。

“I am staying with the superintendent’s wife, as you see. —-
“正如你所见,我住在警长夫人那里。 —-

In the wilds among the ruins, like some house goblin. Drink! —-
在废墟之中,像个房屋小鬼。喝吧! —-

I felt sorry for her, you know, old man! —-
老实说,我为她感到难过,老兄! —-

I took pity on her, and, well, I am living here in the deserted bath-house, like a hermit. . . . —-
我对她表示同情,然后,我就像隐士一样住在这座废弃的浴室里… —-

I am well fed. Next week I am thinking of moving on. . . —-
我吃得很饱。下周我打算离开这里… —-

. I’ve had enough of it. . . .”
“我受够了…”

“Inconceivable!” said Dyukovsky.
“难以置信!”杜科夫斯基说道。

“What is there inconceivable in it?”
“这其中有什么让人难以理解的?”

“Inconceivable! For God’s sake, how did your boot get into the garden?”
“难以置信!老天爷,你的靴子是怎么进到花园里的?”

“What boot?”
“什么靴子?”

“We found one of your boots in the bedroom and the other in the garden.”
“我们在卧室里找到一只你的靴子,另一只在花园里。”

“And what do you want to know that for? It is not your business. But do drink, dash it all. —-
“你想知道这个干嘛?不关你的事。不过喝点酒吧。” —-

Since you have waked me up, you may as well drink! —-
“既然你把我吵醒了,也不妨喝杯。” —-

There’s an interesting tale about that boot, my boy. I didn’t want to come to Olga’s. —-
“关于那只靴子有个有趣的故事,伙计。我本不想来奥尔加那儿。” —-

I didn’t feel inclined, you know, I’d had a drop too much. . . . —-
“我没有兴致,你知道吗,喝多了……” —-

She came under the window and began scolding me. . . . You know how women . . . as a rule. —-
“她在窗口下面开始责骂我……你知道女人,通常都是这样。” —-

Being drunk, I up and flung my boot at her. Ha-ha! . . . ‘Don’t scold,’ I said. —-
“喝醉了,我就扔了靴子给她看。哈哈……‘别吵了,’我说。” —-

She clambered in at the window, lighted the lamp, and gave me a good drubbing, as I was drunk. —-
“她从窗户爬进来,点亮灯,给了我一顿好揍,我当时醉醺醺的。” —-

I have plenty to eat here. . . . Love, vodka, and good things! —-
“这儿我有足够的吃的……爱情、伏特加和美食!” —-

But where are you off to? Tchubikov, where are you off to?”
“你要去哪里?丘比科夫,你要去哪里?”

The examining magistrate spat on the floor and walked out of the bath- house. —-
审讯官在地上吐了口唾沫,走出了浴室。 —-

Dyukovsky followed him with his head hanging. —-
杜科夫斯基低着头跟在他身后。 —-

Both got into the waggonette in silence and drove off. —-
两人默默地上了马车,开车离开了。 —-

Never had the road seemed so long and dreary. Both were silent. —-
从没觉得道路如此漫长和沉闷。两人都保持沉默。 —-

Tchubikov was shaking with anger all the way. —-
途中,丘比科夫愤怒地颤抖着。 —-

Dyukovsky hid his face in his collar as though he were afraid the darkness and the drizzling rain might read his shame on his face.
杜科夫斯基把脸埋在领子里,仿佛害怕黑暗和蒙蒙细雨能从他脸上读出他的羞愧。

On getting home the examining magistrate found the doctor, Tyutyuev, there. —-
回到家后,侦查法官发现医生图图耶夫在那里。 —-

The doctor was sitting at the table and heaving deep sighs as he turned over the pages of the Neva.
医生坐在桌旁,翻着《涅瓦报》的页面,发出深深的叹息声。

“The things that are going on in the world,” he said, greeting the examining magistrate with a melancholy smile. —-
“世界上正在发生的事情啊,”他带着忧郁的笑容跟侦查法官打招呼说。 —-

“Austria is at it again . . . and Gladstone, too, in a way. . . .”
“奥地利又在搞鬼……格拉德斯通也是……”

Tchubikov flung his hat under the table and began to tremble.
丘比科夫将帽子扔到桌子下,开始颤抖起来。

“You devil of a skeleton! Don’t bother me! —-
“该死的骷髅头!别烦我! —-

I’ve told you a thousand times over, don’t bother me with your politics! —-
我已经告诉你无数次了,别用你的政治烦我! —-

It’s not the time for politics! And as for you,” he turned upon Dyukovsky and shook his fist at him, “as for you. —-
现在不是谈政治的时候!至于你,”他转向杜科夫斯基,对着他挥舞拳头,“至于你。 —-

. . . I’ll never forget it, as long as I live!”
“……我永远不会忘记,世世代代!”

“But the Swedish match, you know! How could I tell. . . .”
“但是那根瑞典火柴,你知道!我怎么能知道……”

“Choke yourself with your match! Go away and don’t irritate me, or goodness knows what I shall do to you. —-
“让你的火柴闷死你吧!走开,别刺激我,否则天晓得我会对你怎么样。” —-

Don’t let me set eyes on you.”
“别让我碰到你。”

Dyukovsky heaved a sigh, took his hat, and went out.
杜科夫斯基叹了口气,带上帽子走了出去。

“I’ll go and get drunk!” he decided, as he went out of the gate, and he sauntered dejectedly towards the tavern.
“我要去喝醉!”他一边走出大门一边沮丧地往酒馆走去。

When the superintendent’s wife got home from the bath-house she found her husband in the drawing-room.
当警长夫人从澡堂回家时,发现她的丈夫在客厅里。

“What did the examining magistrate come about?” asked her husband.
“审判官来找什么事?”她的丈夫问道。

“He came to say that they had found Klyauzov. —-
“他来说他们找到了克利奥佐夫。 —-

Only fancy, they found him staying with another man’s wife.”
太想不到了,他们发现他和另一个人的妻子住在一起。”

“Ah, Mark Ivanitch, Mark Ivanitch!” sighed the police superintendent, turning up his eyes. —-
“啊,马尔科维奇,马尔科维奇!”警长叹了口气,抬起眼睛。 —-

“I told you that dissipation would lead to no good! —-
“我告诉过你放荡不会有好结果! —-

I told you so—you wouldn’t heed me!” The Bishop and Other Stories
我早就告诉过你——你不听我的话!”《主教和其他故事》