THE police superintendent Otchumyelov is walking across the market square wearing a new overcoat and carrying a parcel under his arm. —-
警察局长奥丘米洛夫穿着一件新大衣,胳膊下夹着一个包裹,在市集广场上走来走去。 —-

A red-haired policeman strides after him with a sieve full of confiscated gooseberries in his hands. There is silence all around. —-
一个红发警察挥舞着一筛子装满没收的醋栗,追赶在他后面。周围一片寂静。 —-

Not a soul in the square. . . . The open doors of the shops and taverns look out upon God’s world disconsolately, like hungry mouths; —-
广场上一片静寂……商店和酒馆的敞开大门无精打采地望着这个上帝创造的世界,像饥饿的嘴巴一样; —-

there is not even a beggar near them.
连一个乞丐都没有靠近它们。

“So you bite, you damned brute?” Otchumyelov hears suddenly. —-
“你咬人了,你这该死的畜生?” 奥丘米洛夫突然听到有人说。 —-

“Lads, don’t let him go! Biting is prohibited nowadays! —-
“伙计们,别让他跑了!现在咬人是被禁止的! —-

Hold him! ah . . . ah!”
抓住他!啊……啊!”

There is the sound of a dog yelping. Otchumyelov looks in the direction of the sound and sees a dog, hopping on three legs and looking about her, run out of Pitchugin’s timber-yard. —-
有一只狗的哀叫声传来。奥丘米洛夫朝响声的方向看去,看到一只三脚跳着的狗,四处张望着,从皮切金的木材场跑出来。 —-

A man in a starched cotton shirt, with his waistcoat unbuttoned, is chasing her. —-
一个穿着涤纶衬衫、背心未系的男子在追赶着狗。 —-

He runs after her, and throwing his body forward falls down and seizes the dog by her hind legs. —-
他追赶着,身体前倾后摔倒,抓住狗的后腿。 —-

Once more there is a yelping and a shout of “Don’t let go! —-
又是一阵狗的哀叫声和“别松手!”的喊声。 —-

” Sleepy countenances are protruded from the shops, and soon a crowd, which seems to have sprung out of the earth, is gathered round the timber-yard.
睡眼朦胧的脸从商店里伸了出来,很快,一群仿佛从地下冒出来的人聚集在木材场周围。

“It looks like a row, your honour . . .” says the policeman.
“看起来是一场混乱,尊敬的先生……”警察说道。

Otchumyelov makes a half turn to the left and strides towards the crowd.
奥丘米洛夫稍微左转,大步走向人群。

He sees the aforementioned man in the unbuttoned waistcoat standing close by the gate of the timber-yard, holding his right hand in the air and displaying a bleeding finger to the crowd. —-
他看到前面那个穿着未系扣子的背心的人站在木材场门口,伸起右手,向人群展示着一只流血的手指。 —-

On his half-drunken face there is plainly written: “I’ll pay you out, you rogue! —-
在他半醉的脸上明显地写着:“你这个流氓,我会给你报复的!” —-

” and indeed the very finger has the look of a flag of victory. —-
而且这只手指确实看起来像一面胜利的旗帜。 —-

In this man Otchumyelov recognises Hryukin, the goldsmith. —-
Otchumyelov认出了这个人是金匠Hryukin。 —-

The culprit who has caused the sensation, a white borzoy puppy with a sharp muzzle and a yellow patch on her back, is sitting on the ground with her fore-paws outstretched in the middle of the crowd, trembling all over. —-
引起轰动的罪魁祸首是一只白色的长毛猎狗,尖尖的嘴巴上有一个黄色的斑点,她正坐在人群中间,两只前爪伸直着,全身颤抖着。 —-

There is an expression of misery and terror in her tearful eyes.
她眼睛里有着悲惨和恐惧的表情。

“What’s it all about?” Otchumyelov inquires, pushing his way through the crowd. —-
“这是怎么一回事?” Otchumyelov问道,挤过人群。 —-

“What are you here for? Why are you waving your finger . —-
“你们在这里干什么?为什么挥动手指?” —-

. . ? Who was it shouted?”
. . ? 是谁喊的?”

“I was walking along here, not interfering with anyone, your honour,” Hryukin begins, coughing into his fist. —-
“我在这里走着,不干涉任何人,您爱人。” Hryukin开始咳嗽,捂着嘴巴。 —-

“I was talking about firewood to Mitry Mitritch, when this low brute for no rhyme or reason bit my finger. —-
“我正在和Mitry Mitritch谈柴火,这只低劣的畜生无缘无故地咬了我的手指。 —-

. . . You must excuse me, I am a working man. . . . Mine is fine work. —-
. . . 请您原谅,我是个打工人. . . . 我的工作很好。 —-

I must have damages, for I shan’t be able to use this finger for a week, may be. . . . —-
我必须要赔偿,因为我可能一个星期都无法用这根手指了. . . . —-

It’s not even the law, your honour, that one should put up with it from a beast. . . . —-
甚至没有法律规定,亲爱的,我们应该容忍兽类的伤害. . . . —-

If everyone is going to be bitten, life won’t be worth living. . . .”
如果每个人都要被咬,生活将不值得一过. . . .”

“H’m. Very good,” says Otchumyelov sternly, coughing and raising his eyebrows. “Very good. —-
“嗯,很好,” Otchumyelov严厉地说着,咳嗽着抬起眉毛。“很好。” —-

Whose dog is it? I won’t let this pass! —-
这是谁的狗?我不会放过这件事! —-

I’ll teach them to let their dogs run all over the place! —-
我要教训他们,让他们的狗到处乱跑! —-

It’s time these gentry were looked after, if they won’t obey the regulations! —-
如果他们不遵守规定,那就该好好照顾这些上层阶级! —-

When he’s fined, the blackguard, I’ll teach him what it means to keep dogs and such stray cattle! —-
当他被罚款时,这个恶棍,我要教训他养狗和这些流浪牲畜的意义! —-

I’ll give him a lesson! . . . Yeldyrin,” cries the superintendent, addressing the policeman, “find out whose dog this is and draw up a report! —-
我要给他一个教训!埃尔迪林,”总监对警察说,“找出这只狗的主人,写一份报告! —-

And the dog must be strangled. Without delay! —-
这只狗必须被勒死。赶快! —-

It’s sure to be mad. . . . Whose dog is it, I ask?”
这只狗一定是疯了……问问是谁的狗?”

“I fancy it’s General Zhigalov’s,” says someone in the crowd.
“我想这是吉加洛夫将军的,”人群中有人说。

“General Zhigalov’s, h’m. . . . Help me off with my coat, Yeldyrin . . . —-
“吉加洛夫将军的,嗯……埃尔迪林,帮我脱掉外套…… —-

it’s frightfully hot! It must be a sign of rain. . . . —-
太热了!这一定是要下雨的征兆…… —-

There’s one thing I can’t make out, how it came to bite you?” Otchumyelov turns to Hryukin. —-
有一件事我想不明白,它是怎么咬到你的?”奥丘缅洛夫转向赫列金。 —-

“Surely it couldn’t reach your finger. It’s a little dog, and you are a great hulking fellow! —-
“肯定它够不到你的手指。它只是一只小狗,而你是个大个子! —-

You must have scratched your finger with a nail, and then the idea struck you to get damages for it. —-
你肯定是用指甲刮伤了手指,然后想到要赔偿。 —-

We all know . . . your sort! I know you devils!”
我们都知道……你这种人!我认识你这些混蛋!”

“He put a cigarette in her face, your honour, for a joke, and she had the sense to snap at him. —-
“他把烟丢在她脸上,阁下,只是开个玩笑,她聪明得咬了他一口。 —-

. . . He is a nonsensical fellow, your honour!”
…他是个无聊的家伙,阁下!”

“That’s a lie, Squinteye! You didn’t see, so why tell lies about it? —-
“这是个谎言,斜眼!你没有看到,为什么要说谎呢? —-

His honour is a wise gentleman, and will see who is telling lies and who is telling the truth, as in God’s sight. —-
他的尊贵是一位聪明的绅士,会看出谁在撒谎,谁在说真话,就像上帝眼中一样。 —-

. . . And if I am lying let the court decide. It’s written in the law. . . . —-
. . . 如果我说谎,让法院来决定。它写在法律中. . . . —-

We are all equal nowadays. My own brother is in the gendarmes . —-
如今我们都是平等的。我的亲兄弟就在警察局。 —-

. . let me tell you. . . .”
. . . 让我告诉你. . . .”

“Don’t argue!”
“不要争论!”

“No, that’s not the General’s dog,” says the policeman, with profound conviction, “the General hasn’t got one like that. —-
“不,那不是将军的狗,”警察坚信地说,“将军没有一只像那样的狗。” —-

His are mostly setters.”
他的大部分是猎犬。

“Do you know that for a fact?”
“你知道这是事实吗?”

“Yes, your honour.”
“是的,阁下。”

“I know it, too. The General has valuable dogs, thoroughbred, and this is goodness knows what! —-
“我也知道。将军有价值的狗,纯种的,而这只不知道是谁的! —-

No coat, no shape. . . . A low creature. And to keep a dog like that! . . . —-
没有毛,没有形状……一个下等生物。还养着这样的狗! —-

where’s the sense of it. If a dog like that were to turn up in Petersburg or Moscow, do you know what would happen? —-
这有什么意义呢?如果这样的狗出现在圣彼得堡或莫斯科,你知道会发生什么吗? —-

They would not worry about the law, they would strangle it in a twinkling! —-
他们不会担心法律,会瞬间把它勒死! —-

You’ve been injured, Hryukin, and we can’t let the matter drop. . . . —-
“赫鲁金,你受伤了,我们不能就这样了事…… —-

We must give them a lesson! It is high time . . . . !”
我们必须给他们一个教训!现在是时候了……!”

“Yet maybe it is the General’s,” says the policeman, thinking aloud. —-
“也许是将军的,”警察后来说。 —-

“It’s not written on its face. . . . —-
“狗的脸上没有写着…… —-

I saw one like it the other day in his yard.”
前几天我在他的院子里见过一只像它的。”

“It is the General’s, that’s certain!” says a voice in the crowd.
“肯定是将军的!”人群中有人说。

“H’m, help me on with my overcoat, Yeldyrin, my lad . . . the wind’s getting up. . . . —-
“帮我穿上外套,耶尔迪林,我年轻人……风越来越大了…… —-

I am cold. . . . You take it to the General’s, and inquire there. Say I found it and sent it. —-
我冷……你把它带给将军,问问那里。说我找到它并送过去了。 —-

And tell them not to let it out into the street. . . . —-
并告诉他们不要让它跑到街上去. . . . —-

It may be a valuable dog, and if every swine goes sticking a cigar in its mouth, it will soon be ruined. —-
这可能是一只有价值的狗,如果每只猪都来把雪茄塞到它嘴里,它很快就会毁掉的。 —-

A dog is a delicate animal. . . . And you put your hand down, you blockhead. —-
狗是一种敏感的动物. . . . 你这个笨蛋,你还伸手下去。 —-

It’s no use your displaying your fool of a finger. —-
你展示你那傻瓜的手指也没用。 —-

It’s your own fault. . . .”
这是你自己的错. . . .

“Here comes the General’s cook, ask him. . . Hi, Prohor! —-
“厨师长来了,问问他. . . 嘿,普罗霍尔! —-

Come here, my dear man! Look at this dog. . . —-
过来,我亲爱的人!看看这只狗. . . —-

. Is it one of yours?”
. 是你们的吗?

“What an idea! We have never had one like that!”
“这是个什么主意!我们从来没有过这样的狗!”

“There’s no need to waste time asking,” says Otchumyelov. “It’s a stray dog! —-
“没必要浪费时间问,”奥秋梅洛夫说。“这是一只流浪狗! —-

There’s no need to waste time talking about it. . . . —-
没必要浪费时间谈论它. . . . —-

Since he says it’s a stray dog, a stray dog it is. . . . —-
既然他说是一只流浪狗,那就是流浪狗. . . . —-

It must be destroyed, that’s all about it.”
它必须被毁灭,就是这样。

“It is not our dog,” Prohor goes on. —-
“这不是我们的狗,”普罗霍尔接着说。 —-

“It belongs to the General’s brother, who arrived the other day. —-
“它属于将军的兄弟,他前几天到的。 —-

Our master does not care for hounds. But his honour is fond of them. . . .”
我们的主人不喜欢猎犬。但他的荣誉喜欢它们。。。

“You don’t say his Excellency’s brother is here? Vladimir Ivanitch? —-
“你说他尊贵的兄弟在这里?弗拉基米尔·伊万尼奇? —-

” inquires Otchumyelov, and his whole face beams with an ecstatic smile. —-
”奥特秧木洛夫问道,他整个脸上都充满了狂喜的笑容。 —-

“‘Well, I never! And I didn’t know! —-
“哦,我从不知道! —-

Has he come on a visit?
他来探望吗?

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Well, I never. . . . He couldn’t stay away from his brother. . . . And there I didn’t know! —-
“哦,我从不知道……他离不开他的兄弟……我竟然不知道! —-

So this is his honour’s dog? Delighted to hear it. . . . Take it. It’s not a bad pup. . . . —-
所以这是他的荣誉的狗?很高兴听到。拿去吧,这是一只不错的小狗…… —-

A lively creature. . . . Snapped at this fellow’s finger! Ha-ha-ha. . . . —-
一个活泼的生物……对着这家伙的手指咬了一口!哈哈哈…… —-

Come, why are you shivering? Rrr . . . Rrrr. . . . —-
怎么了,为什么发抖?格格……格格…… —-

The rogue’s angry . . . a nice little pup.”
这个恶棍生气了……一个漂亮的小狗。

Prohor calls the dog, and walks away from the timber-yard with her. The crowd laughs at Hryukin.
普罗霍尔叫着狗,带着她离开了木材场。人群嘲笑赫鲁金。

“I’ll make you smart yet!” Otchumyelov threatens him, and wrapping himself in his greatcoat, goes on his way across the square.
“我会让你明白的!”奥特秧木洛夫威胁他,裹紧大衣,继续穿过广场。