Jo was very busy in the garret, for the October days began to grow chilly, and the afternoons were short. —
乔在阁楼里非常忙碌,因为十月的日子开始变得寒冷,下午时间也变得短暂。 —

For two or three hours the sun lay warmly in the high window, showing Jo seated on the old sofa, writing busily, with her papers spread out upon a trunk before her, while Scrabble, the pet rat, promenaded the beams overhead, accompanied by his young fellow, who was evidently very proud of his whiskers. —
阳光从高窗纡纡而下,温暖地照在乔身上,她正坐在旧沙发上,专心写作。她的论文摊在她面前的一个箱子上,而爱鼠斯克拉布尔则在头顶的梁上散步,它的伙伴则显然为自己的胡须非常自豪。 —

Quite absorbed in her work, Jo scribbled away till the last page was filled, when she signed her name with a flourish, and threw down her pen, exclaiming:
乔全神贯注地工作着,一直写到最后一页满了,然后她用娇羞的笔迹签下了自己的名字,扔下笔,呼喊道:

There, I’ve done my best! If this won’t suit, I shall have to wait till I can do better.’
好了,我已经尽力了!如果这不合适,我只能等到可以做得更好的时候再说。

Lying back on the sofa, she read the manuscript carefully through, making dashes here and there, and putting in many exclamation points, which looked like little balloons; —
她躺回沙发上,仔细地阅读了手稿,偶尔加上几条线,以及许多看起来像小气球的感叹号; —

then she tied it up with a smart, red ribbon, and sat a minute looking at it with a sober, wistful expression, which plainly showed how earnest her work had been. —
然后她用一根漂亮的红色丝带把它捆起来,坐了一会儿,用一种严肃而渴望的表情看着它,这明显表明她工作的认真程度。 —

Jo’s desk up here was an old tin kitchen, which hung against the wall. —
乔的桌子是一个旧的锡制厨房,挂在墙上。 —

In it she kept her papers and a few books, safely shut away from Scrabble, who, being likewise of a literary turn, was fond of making a circulating library of such books as were left in his way, by eating the leaves. —
她把自己的文件和几本书放在里面,安全地远离诱人的斗地主。斗地主也对文学很感兴趣,所以他喜欢把能找到的书当作流动图书馆,把书页吃掉。 —

From this tin receptacle, Jo produced another manuscript; —
从这个锡制容器里,乔拿出了另一篇手稿, —

and, putting both in her pocket, crept quietly downstairs, leaving her friends to nibble her pens and taste her ink.
并把两者都放在口袋里,悄悄地下楼,让她的朋友们啃她的笔,并尝一尝她的墨水。

She put on her hat and jacket as noiselessly as possible, and, going to the back entry window, got out upon the roof of a low porch, swung herself down to the grassy bank, and took a roundabout way to the road. —
她尽可能地悄无声息地穿上帽子和夹克,然后走到后门的窗户,爬上低矮门廊的屋顶,摇摆着把自己放下到草坪上,并绕道走到马路边。 —

Once there, she composed herself, hailed a passing omnibus, and rolled away to town, looking very merry and mysterious.
一旦到达那里,她镇定自若地招呼一辆经过的公共汽车,一路欢快而神秘地驶向市区。

If anyone had been watching her he would have thought her movements decidedly peculiar; —
如果有人观察她,他会觉得她的动作确实很奇怪。 —

for, on alighting, she went off at a great pace till she reached a certain number in a certain busy street; —
一下车,她大步离开,直到走到某一条繁忙的街道上的一个数字。 —

having found the place with some difficulty, she went into the doorway, looked up the dirty stairs, and, after standing stock still a minute, suddenly dived into the street, and walked away as rapidly as she came. —
她费了些许力才找到这个地方,进入门口,抬头看着脏兮兮的楼梯,在原地站了一分钟,突然迅速冲出街道,迅速离开。 —

This manoeuvre she repeated several times, to the great amusement of a black-eyed young gentleman lounging in the window of the building opposite. —
她多次重复这个动作,给对面建筑窗口里懒洋洋的黑眼睛小伙子带来了很大的娱乐。 —

On returning for the third time, Jo gave herself a shake, pulled her hat over her eyes, and walked up the stairs, looking as if she were going to have all her teeth out.
第三次回来时,琼自己摇了摇,将帽子拉到眼睛上,步行上了楼梯,看起来仿佛要把牙齿全都拔掉。

There was a dentist’s sign, among others which adorned the entrance, and, after staring a minute at the pair of artificial jaws which slowly opened and shut to draw attention to a fine set of teeth, the young gentleman put on his coat, took his hat, and went down to post himself in the opposite doorway, saying, with a smile and a shiver:
在其他装饰入口处的招牌中,有一块牙医的招牌,年轻的男士盯着一双慢慢张合吸引注意力的人工下颚,穿上了外套,戴上了帽子,走下楼来,站在对面门口,带着微笑和颤栗地说道:

It’s like her to come alone, but if she has a bad time she’ll need someone to help her home.’
她喜欢独自出来,但如果她玩得不开心,她会需要有人陪她回家。

In ten minutes Jo came running downstairs with a very red face, and the general appearance of a person who had just passed through a trying ordeal of some sort.
十分钟后,乔跑下楼来,脸变得通红,整个人看起来像是刚经历了一次艰难的考验。

When she saw the young gentleman she looked anything but pleased, and passed him with a nod; but he followed, asking with an air of sympathy:
当她看到那位年轻绅士时,明显不太高兴,只是点了点头,但他跟上来,带着一种同情的神情问道:

Did you have a bad time?’
你玩得开心吗?

Not very.’
还行吧。

You got through quickly.’
你通过得挺快的。

Yes, thank goodness!’
是啊,谢天谢地!

Why did you go alone?’
你为什么一个人去?

Didn’t want anyone to know.’
不想让别人知道。

You’re the oddest fellow I ever saw. —
你是我见过的最奇怪的家伙。 —

How many did you have out?’
你有几个牙齿拔出来了?

Jo looked at her friend as if she did not understand him; —
乔那样看着她的朋友,似乎不明白他的话是什么意思, —

then began to laugh, as if mightily amused at something.
然后开始笑起来,仿佛被某件事情逗得很开心。

There are two which I want to have come out, but I must wait a week.’
还有两个牙齿我想拔掉,但我必须等一个星期。

What are you laughing at? —
你在笑什么? —

You are up to some mischief, Jo,’ said Laurie, looking mystified.
你一定在搞什么恶作剧,乔,’ 劳里说,一脸迷惑。

So are you. What were you doing, sir, up in that billiard saloon?’
你也是。你在那个台球厅里干什么?

Begging your pardon, ma’am, it wasn’t a billiard saloon, but a gymnasium, and I was taking a lesson in fencing.’
请恕我冒犯,夫人,那不是一家台球沙龙,而是一家体育馆,我正在上击剑课。

I’m glad of that.’
我很高兴。

Why?’
为什么?

You can teach me, and then when we play Hamlet, you can be Laertes, and we’ll make a fine thing of the fencing scene.’
你可以教我,然后当我们演《哈姆雷特》时,你可以扮演拉尔特斯,我们会把击剑场景演得很棒。

Laurie burst out with a hearty boy’s laugh, which made several passers-by smile in spite of themselves.
劳瑞爆发出一个坚实的男孩笑声,让几个过路人不禁微笑起来。

I’ll teach you, whether we play Hamlet or not; —
不管我们是否演《哈姆雷特》,我都会教你; —

it’s grand fun, and will straighter, you up capitally. —
这很有趣,可以把你弄得直挺挺的。 —

But I don’t believe that was your reason for saying “I’m glad”, in that decided way; was it, now?’
不过我不相信你说“我很高兴”的原因是因为这个,是吗?

No, I was glad that you were not in the saloon, because I hope you never go to such places. Do you?’
不,我很高兴你不在那个沙龙里,因为我希望你永远不要去那样的地方。你去吗?

Not often.’
不经常。

I wish you wouldn’t.’
我希望你别去。

It’s no harm, Jo. I have billiards at home, but it’s no fun unless you have good players, so, as I’m fond of it, I come sometimes and have a game with Ned Moffat or some of the other fellows.’
这没什么害处,乔。我家里有台球桌,但是没好玩,除非有好的对手,所以我有时候会来和尼德·莫法特或其他一些家伙打一局。

Oh dear, I’m so sorry, for you’ll get to liking it better and better, and will waste time and money, and grow like those dreadful boys. —
哦亲爱的,我非常抱歉,你会越来越喜欢它,会浪费时间和金钱,变得像那些可怕的男孩们一样成长。 —

I did hope you’d stay respectable, and be a satisfaction to your friends,’ said Jo, shaking her head.
我本来希望你能保持体面,成为你朋友们的骄傲,”乔摇了摇头说。

Can’t a fellow take a little innocent amusement now and then without losing his respectability?’ asked Laurie, looking nettled.
“一个人偶尔能享受一点无害的娱乐,难道就不能保持体面吗?”劳里生气地问道。

That depends upon how and where he takes it. —
“这取决于他怎么样,以及在哪里享受。 —

I don’t like Ned and his set, and wish you’d keep out of it. —
我不喜欢尼德和他的那一帮人,希望你远离他们。 —

Mother won’t let us have him at our house, though he wants to come; —
“妈妈不让他到我们家来,尽管他想来; —

and if you grow like him she won’t be willing to have us frolic together as we do now.’
“如果你变得像他一样,她就不会愿意我们像现在这样一起嬉戏了。”

Won’t she?’ asked Laurie, anxiously.
“是吗?”劳里焦急地问道。

No, she can’t bear fashionable young men, and she’d shut us all up in bandboxes rather than have us associate with them.’
“是的,她无法忍受时髦的年轻人,她宁愿把我们都关在箱子里,也不愿让我们与他们交往。”

Well, she needn’t get out her bandboxes yet; —
“好吧,她还不必准备好她的箱子; —

I’m not a fashionable party, and don’t mean to be; —
我不是个时髦的人,也不打算成为一个, —

but I do like harmless larks now and then, don’t you?’
但我确实喜欢无害的玩笑,你呢?”

Yes, nobody minds them, so lark away, but don’t get wild, will you? or there will be an end of all our good times.’
是的,没人介意,尽情欢乐吧,但别太放肆了,好吗?否则我们的美好时光就会结束了。

I’ll be a double-distilled saint.’
我会成为一个纯净至高无上的圣人。

I can’t bear saints; just be a simple, honest, respectable boy, and we’ll never desert you. —
我无法忍受圣人;只要做一个简单、诚实、受人尊敬的孩子,我们就永远不会离开你。 —

I don’t know what I should do if you acted like Mr. King’s son; —
如果你像金先生的儿子那样行事,我不知道该怎么办;他有很多钱,但不知道该怎么花,喝醉酒、赌博、逃跑,据说还伪造了他父亲的名字,总之糟透了。 —

he had plenty of money, but didn’t know how to spend it, and got tipsy, and gambled, and ran away, and forged his father’s name, I believe, and was altogether horrid.’
你觉得我也会像他一样吗?非常感谢。

You think I’m likely to do the same? Much obliged.’
不,不是的,天哪,不是的!——但我听人们说过金钱是个诱惑,有时我真希望你是穷人;那样我就不会担心了。

No, I don’t - oh, dear, no! —

  • but I hear people talking about money being such a temptation, and I sometimes wish you were poor; —
    你担心我,乔吗? —

I shouldn’t worry then.’

Do you worry about me, Jo?’
有一点点,当你看起来闷闷不乐或不满足的时候,有时候;因为你意志坚强,一旦开始做错事,我担心很难阻止你。

A little, when you look moody or discontented, as you sometimes do; —
一点点,当你看起来阴郁或不满意时,有时候;因为你意志坚强,一旦走上错误的路,我担心很难阻止你。 —

for you’ve got such a strong will, if you once get started wrong, I’m afraid it would be hard to stop you.’
一点点,当你看起来阴郁或不满时,有时候;因为你有着很强的意志,一旦走错了路,我担心很难阻止你。

Laurie walked in silence for a few minutes, and Jo watched him, wishing she had held her tongue, for his eyes looked angry though his lips still smiled as if at her warnings.
劳瑞默默地走了几分钟,乔注视着他,希望自己能忍住不说话,因为看着他的眼神,虽然他的嘴唇还在微笑,但却充满了愤怒,好像在对她的警告嗤之以鼻。

Are you going to deliver lectures all the way home?’ he asked presently.
“你打算一路上都做演讲吗?”他突然问道。

Of course not; why?’
“当然不会啦,为什么?”

Because, if you are, I’ll take a bus; if you are not, I’d like to walk with you, and tell you something very interesting.’
“因为,如果你要这样,我会坐公共汽车。如果不这样,我想和你一起散步,告诉你非常有趣的事情。”

I won’t preach any more, and I’d like to hear the news immensely.’
“我不再说教了,而且我真的很想听到这个消息。”

Very well, then; come on. It’s a secret, and if I tell you, you must tell me yours.’
“好吧,那么,走吧。这是一个秘密,如果我告诉你了,你也必须告诉我你的。”

I haven’t got any,’ began Jo, but stopped suddenly, remembering that she had.
“我没什么秘密”,乔开始说,但突然停住,想起自己是有一个秘密的。

You know you have you can’t hide anything; —
“你是知道你有秘密的,你不能隐藏任何事情, —

so up and ‘fess, or I won’t tell,’ cried Laurie.
所以坦白出来,否则我就不告诉你了!”劳瑞叫道。

Is your secret a nice one?’
“你的秘密是个好事吗?”

Oh, isn’t it! all about people you know, and such fun! —
“哦,简直太好了!都是关于你认识的人, —

You ought to hear it, and I’ve been aching to tell it this long time. —
非常有趣!你应该听听,我一直想告诉你这件事。来吧, —

Come, you begin.’
你先说。”

You’ll not say anything about it at home, will you?’
“你不会在家里说这件事,对吗?”

Not a word.’
“一句话都不会说。”

And you won’t tease me in private?’
“你也不会私下里取笑我吗?”

I never tease.’
“我从不取笑。”

Yes, you do; you get everything you want out of people. —
是的,你确实能让人们为你做任何事情。 —

I don’t know how you do it, but you are a born wheedler.’
我不知道你是如何做到的,但你天生就是个巧舌如簧的人。

Thank you; fire away.’
谢谢,尽管提问。

Well, I’ve left two stories with a newspaper man, and he’s to give his answer next week,’ whispered Jo, in her confidant’s ear.
嗯,我已经把两个故事留给一名报人了,他会在下周给出答复,’ 乔轻声地对她的知己说。

Hurrah for Miss March, the celebrated American authoress!’ cried Laurie, throwing up his hat and catching it again, to the great delight of two ducks, four cats, five hens, and half a dozen Irish children; —
为了南茜·马奇小姐,著名的美国女作家,欢呼一声!’劳里大喊着举起帽子,然后又接住它,这让两只鸭子、四只猫、五只母鸡和六个爱尔兰孩子感到非常高兴。 —

for they were out of the city now.
因为他们已经离开城市了。

Hush! It won’t come to anything, I dare say; —
嘘!这可能不会有什么结果, —

but I couldn’t rest till I had tried, and I said nothing about it, because I didn’t want anyone else to be disappointed.’
我敢说;但我无法安心,直到我试过了。我没和任何人提起,因为我不想让其他人失望。

It won’t fail. Why, Jo, your stories are works of Shakespeare, compared to half the rubbish that is published every day. Won’t it be fun to see them in print; —
这不会失败的。乔,与每天出版的垃圾相比,你的故事就像是莎士比亚的作品。看到它们能够印刷出来,会有多有趣啊? —

and shan’t we feel proud of our authoress?’
而且我们会因我们的女作家而感到自豪呢。

Jo’s eyes sparkled, for it is always pleasant to be believed in; —
乔的眼睛闪闪发亮,因为被人相信总是令人愉快的; —

and a friend’s praise is always sweeter than a dozen newspaper puffs.
朋友的赞美总是比十几篇报纸的吹捧更甜蜜。

Where’s your secret? Play fair, Teddy, or I’ll never believe you again,’ she said, trying to extinguish the brilliant hopes that blazed up at a word of encouragement.
你的秘密在哪里?泰迪,公平一点,否则我就再也不相信你了,她说着,试图扑灭那充满希望的火花。

I may get into a scrape for telling; —
我可能因为告诉你而陷入麻烦, —

but I didn’t promise not to, so I will, for I never feel easy in my mind till I’ve told you any plummy bit of news I get. —
但我并没有答应不告诉,所以我还是要告诉你,因为除非我告诉你任何我得到的有趣的消息,否则我总是心情不安。 —

I know where Meg’s glove is.’
我知道梅格的手套在哪。

Is that all?’ said Jo, looking disappointed, as Laurie nodded and twinkled, with a face full of mysterious intelligence. —
就这些吗?乔失望地看着,劳瑞点点头,眼睛闪烁,脸上充满了神秘的智慧。“对现在来说已经足够了, —

‘It’s quite enough for the present, as you’ll agree when I tell you where it is.’
当我告诉你它在哪里的时候,你会同意的。”

Tell then.’
说吧。

Laurie bent, and whispered three words in Jo’s ear, which produced a comical change. —
劳瑞弯下腰,在乔的耳边低声说了三个字,引发了有趣的变化。 —

She stood and stared at him for a minute, looking both surprised and displeased, then walked on, saying sharply, ‘How do you know?’
她站在那儿盯着他看了一分钟,一脸既惊讶又不悦,然后快步走开,尖声说道:“你怎么知道?”

Saw it.’
看到的。

Where?’
在哪里?

Pocket.’
口袋里。

All this time?’
那么长时间以来?

Yes; isn’t that romantic?’
是的,那不浪漫吗?

No, it’s horrid.’
不,太可怕了。

Don’t you like it?’
难道你不喜欢吗?

Of course I don’t. It’s ridiculous; —
当然不喜欢。太荒谬了, —

it won’t be allowed. My patience! —
这是不允许的。我的耐心! —

what would Meg say?’
梅格会说什么?

You are not to tell anyone; mind that.’
你不能告诉任何人,记住这点。

I didn’t promise.’
我没有答应。

That was understood, and I trusted you.’
这是理所当然的,我信任你。

Well, I won’t for the present, anyway; —
好吧,暂时我不会告诉任何人, —

but I’m disgusted, and wish you hadn’t told me.’
但我很失望,希望你没有告诉我。

I thought you’d be pleased.’
我以为你会高兴的。

At the idea of anybody coming to take Meg away? —
对有人来带走梅格的想法,我不感兴趣, —

No, thank you.’
谢谢。

You’ll feel better about it when somebody comes to take you away.’
当有人来带走你的时候,你会感觉好些的。

I’d like to see anyone try it,’ cried Jo, fiercely.
我想见有人试一试。’乔’ 愤怒地说。

So should I!’ and Laurie chuckled at the idea.
我也是!’ 劳里捧腹大笑。

I don’t think secrets agree with me; —
我不认为秘密对我有益处, —

I feel rumpled up in my mind since you told me that,’ said Jo, rather ungratefully.
自从你告诉我那个以来,我感到心烦意乱。’ 乔’有点不领情地说。

Race down this hill with me, and you’ll be all right,’ suggested Laurie.
和我一起冲下这个山坡,你就会好起来。’ 劳里建议道。

No one was in sight; the smooth road sloped invitingly before her; —
在视线中没有人,平坦的道路在她面前诱人地倾斜着。 —

and finding the temptation irresistible, Jo darted away, soon leaving hat and comb behind her, and scattering hairpins as she ran. —
一阵诱惑令乔忍不住地迅速奔跑起来,很快就把帽子和梳子丢在后面,同时撒落了几根发夹。 —

Laurie reached the goal first, and was quite satisfied with the success of his treatment; —
劳瑞第一个到达终点,对他的行动很满意; —

for his Atalanta came panting up, with flying hair, bright eyes, ruddy cheeks, and no signs of dissatisfaction in her face.
他的阿塔兰塔气喘吁吁地追了上来,头发飞扬,明亮的眼睛,红润的脸颊,脸上没有任何不满的迹象。

I wish I was a horse; then I could run for miles in this splendid air, and not lose my breath. It was capital; —
我真希望自己是匹马,这样我就可以在这美妙的空气中跑上几英里,也不会喘不过气来。这实在是太过瘾了; —

but see what a guy it’s made me. —
但看看它把我搞成了什么样子。 —

Go, pick up my things, like a cherub as you are,’ said Jo, dropping down under a maple-tree which was carpeting the bank with crimson leaves.
“去,把我的东西捡起来,你这个小天使,”乔说着,在一棵枫树下坐了下来,树叶像红色地毯一样铺满了河岸。

Laurie leisurely departed to recover the lost property, and Jo bundled up her braids, hoping no one would pass by till she was tidy again. —
劳瑞悠闲地离开了,去找回丢失的物品,而乔则把自己的发辫整理起来,希望别人在她收拾整齐前不要经过。 —

But someone did pass by, and who should it be but Meg, looking particularly ladylike in her state and festival suit, for she had been making calls.
但是确实有人经过,这个人竟然是梅格,穿着礼服,看起来非常淑女,因为她刚刚去拜访了一些人。

What in the world are you doing here?’ she asked, regarding her dishevelled sister with well-bred surprise.
“你这世界怎么会在这里?”她带着彬彬有礼的惊讶问道,看着她那凌乱的姐姐。

Getting leaves,’ meekly answered Jo, sorting the rosy handful she had just swept up.
“拣树叶,”乔小声回答道,整理着她刚扫起来的一把红色树叶。

And hairpins,’ added Laurie, throwing half a dozen into Jo’s lap. —
“还有发夹,”劳里补充道,把一把发夹扔到乔的膝上, —

‘They grow on this road, Meg; —
“这条路上能长出来,梅格; —

so do combs and brown straw hats.’
梳子和棕色草帽也一样。”

You have been running, Jo; how could you? —
“你刚跑步了吧,乔?你怎么搞这样的调皮行径呢? —

When will you be stopping such romping ways?’ said Meg, reprovingly, as she settled her cuffs, and smoothed her hair, with which the wind had taken liberties.
”梅格责备地说着,整理着衣袖,理顺着被风吹乱的头发。“直到我老得要用助行器之前都不会停下来。别试图让我早早长大,梅格;你突然变了样子已经够难受的了。让我做个小女孩的时间尽可能长吧。”

Never till I’m stiff and old, and have to use a crutch. —
乔说话时,低下头,用树叶掩饰住她颤抖的嘴唇;最近她感觉到玛格丽特正在迅速变成一个女人, —

Don’t try to make me grow up before my time, Meg: —
而劳里的秘密使她担心终将必定到来的分离,现在似乎非常接近了。 —

it’s hard enough to have you change all of a sudden; —
我会一直做个小女孩,直到我变得僵硬老迈,必须用拐杖走路。不要试图让我过早长大,梅格; —

let me be a little girl as long as I can.’
你突然改变已经够难受的了。让我尽可能长时间做个小女孩吧。

As she spoke, Jo bent over the leaves to hide the trembling of her lips; —
她说着,乔低头掩饰住颤抖的嘴唇;最近她感觉到玛格丽特正在迅速变成一个女人,而劳里的秘密使她担心终将必定到来的分离,现在似乎非常接近了。 —

for lately she had felt that Margaret was fast getting to be a woman, and Laurie’s secret made her dread the separation which must surely come some time, and now seemed very near. —
“她说着,乔低头以掩饰颤抖的嘴唇;最近她感觉到玛格丽特正在迅速长大成人,而劳里的秘密使她惧怕分离,那将一定会来的,现在似乎非常接近了。” —

He saw the trouble in her face, and drew Meg’s attention from it by asking quickly, ‘Where have you been calling all so fine?’
他从她脸上看出了烦恼,立刻转移了梅格的注意力,快速问道:“你都去哪里打电话了?”

At the Gardiners’, and Sallie has been telling me all about Belle Moffat’s wedding. —
在加德纳家,莎莉刚告诉我贝尔·莫法特的婚礼的一切。 —

It was very splendid, and they have gone to spend the winter in Paris. Just think how delightful that must be!’
真是非常豪华,他们去巴黎度过冬天了。想想看那得多么令人愉快!

Do you envy her, Meg?’ said Laurie.
你羡慕她吗,梅格?劳里问道。

I’m afraid I do.’
我怕是有点。

I’m glad of it,’ muttered Jo, tying on her hat with a jerk.
我很高兴,乔喃喃自语着,一边猛地系上帽子。

Why?’ asked Meg, looking surprised.
为什么呢?梅格看起来很惊讶。

Because if you care much about riches, you will never go and marry a poor man,’ said Jo, frowning at Laurie, who was mutely warning her to mind what she said.
因为如果你很看重财富,你就永远不会嫁给一个穷人,乔皱着眉头对着劳里说,而劳里则默默地警告她小心言辞。

I shall never “go and marry” anyone,’ observed Meg, walking on with great dignity, while the others followed, laughing, whispering, skipping stones, and ‘behaving like children’, as Meg said to herself, though she might have been tempted to join them if she had not had her best dress on.
我不会“去嫁”给任何人,梅格高傲地说着,然后继续大步迈着前进,而其他人则跟着笑着、咕哝着、掷石头、像孩子一样的行为,梅格自己对此表示“如同孩子”,不过如果她没穿上最好的裙子的话,也许会心动加入他们。

For a week or two, Jo behaved so queerly that her sisters were quite bewildered. —
有一两个星期,乔的行为如此怪异,以至于她的姐妹们感到很困惑。 —

She rushed to the door when the postman rang; —
每当邮递员敲门时,她都会冲到门口; —

was rude to Mr. Brooke whenever they met; —
每次见到布鲁克先生都很粗鲁; —

would sit looking at Meg with a woebegone face, occasionally jumping up to shake, and then to kiss her, in a very mysterious manner; —
会坐着对着梅格一脸愁苦地看,偶尔跳起来摇晃,然后以一种非常神秘的方式吻她; —

Laurie and she were always making signs to one another and talking about ‘Spread Eagles’ till the girls declared they had both lost their wits. —
劳瑞和她总是向对方做手势,谈论着“展翅雄鹰”,以至于女孩们都说他们俩都疯了。 —

On the second Saturday after Jo got out of the window, Meg, as she sat sewing at her window, was scandalized by the sight of Laurie chasing Jo all over the garden, and finally capturing her in Amy’s bower. —
乔爬出窗户后的第二个星期六,梅格在窗边做针线活,看到劳瑞在花园里追逐乔,最后抓到她在艾米的凉亭里。 —

What went on there, Meg could not see; —
梅格看不见里面发生了什么, —

but shrieks of laughter were heard, followed by the murmur of voices and a great flapping of newspapers.
但听到了欢笑声,接着是声音的嘈杂和报纸的拍打声。

What shall we do with that girl? —
“我们该怎么办才能让那个女孩守规矩呢? —

She never will behave like a young lady,’ sighed Meg, as she watched the race with a disapproving face.
”梅格叹息着,一脸不满地看着这场追逐。

I hope she won’t; she is so funny and dear as she is,’ said Beth, who had never betrayed that she was a little hurt at Jo’s having secrets with anyone but her.
“我希望她不会这样做;她是如此有趣和亲爱,”贝丝说道。她从未表露过对乔与除她之外的别人有秘密稍感伤心。

It’s very trying, but we can never make her commy la fo,’ added Amy, who sat making some new frills for herself, with her curls tied up in a very becoming was - two agreeable things, which made her feel unusually elegant and ladylike.
“这很让人烦恼,但我们永远也不可能把她变成一个怪物,”艾米补充道,她一边给自己做一些新的褶边,把她的卷发扎得非常漂亮-两个令人愉快的事情,让她感觉非常高雅和淑女。

In a few minutes Jo bounced in, laid herself on the sofa, and affected to read.
过了几分钟,乔跳进来,躺在沙发上,然后假装阅读。

Have you anything interesting there?’ asked Meg, with condescension.
‘你那里有什么有趣的东西吗?’ 梅格带着恩人的口吻问道。

Nothing but a story; won’t amount to much, I guess,’ returned Jo, carefully keeping the name of the paper out of sight.
‘只是一个故事;我猜没有什么大不了的,’ 乔回答道,小心地把报纸的名字藏起来。

You’d better read it aloud; —
‘你最好大声读出来; —

that will amuse us and keep you out of mischief,’ said Amy, in her most grown-up tone.
那会让我们开心,并且让你远离麻烦,’ 艾米用她最像大人的调子说道。

What’s the name?’ asked Beth, wondering why Jo kept her face behind the sheet.
‘叫什么名字?’贝丝问道,想知道为什么乔把脸藏在纸后面。

The Rival Painters.’
“竞争的画家。”

That sounds well; read it,’ said Meg.
“听起来不错,念吧,”梅格说道。

With a loud ‘Hem’ and a long breath, Jo began to read very fast. —
乔大声咳嗽了一声,深吸了一口气,开始快速地朗读起来。 —

The girls listened with interest, for the tale was romantic, and somewhat pathetic, as most of the characters died in the end.
女孩们听得津津有味,因为这个故事浪漫而有些悲惨,大部分角色都死了。

I like that about the splendid picture,’ was Amy’s approving remark, as Jo paused.
“我喜欢这幅精彩的画,” 当乔停下来时,艾米赞许地说。

I prefer the lovering part. —
“我更喜欢那个恋爱的部分。 —

Viola and Angelo are two of our favourite names; —
维奥拉和安吉洛是我们最喜欢的名字; —

isn’t that queer?’ said Meg, wiping her eyes, for the ‘lovering part’ was tragical.
这不奇怪吗?” 梅格擦着眼泪说,因为那个”恋爱的部分”很悲剧。

Who wrote it?’ asked Beth, who had caught a glimpse of Jo’s face.
“Beth看到了乔的脸,问道:”是谁写的?

The reader suddenly sat up, cast away the paper, displaying a flushed countenance, and, with a funny mixture of solemnity and excitement, replied in a loud voice, ‘Your sister.’
读者突然坐直了,扔掉了纸,露出一张潮红的脸,兴奋而又庄重地大声回答道:” 是你的妹妹。”

You?’ cried Meg, dropping her work.
“你?”梅格放下手工。

It’s very good,’ said Amy, critically.
“很好,”艾米评论道。

I knew it! I knew it! Oh, my Jo, I am so proud!’ and Beth began to hug her sister, and exult over this splendid success.
“我就知道!我就知道!哦,我亲爱的乔,我真为你骄傲!”贝丝开始拥抱她的姐姐,对这个辉煌的成功感到欢欣鼓舞。

Dear me, how delighted they all were, to be sure! —
“天啊,他们都多么开心啊! —

how Meg wouldn’t believe it till she saw the words ‘Miss Josephine March’ actually printed in the paper; —
梅格要看到字里面真的印着“约瑟芬·马奇小姐”才能相信; —

how graciously Amy criticised the artistic parts of the story, and offered hints for a sequel, which unfortunately couldn’t be carried out, as the hero and heroine were dead; —
艾米优雅地批评了故事中的艺术部分,并为续集提供了一些提示,可惜无法实现,因为男女主角已经死了。 —

how Beth got excited, and skipped and sung with joy; —
贝丝兴奋不已,欢快地跳跃和唱歌;汉娜走进来惊呼一声, —

how Hannah came in to exclaim ‘Sakes alive, well I never!’ in great astonishment at ‘that Jo’s doin’s’; —
说:“天哪,我从来没见过这样的事情!”大为惊讶地谈论着“乔的行动”, —

how proud Mrs. March was when she knew it; —
激动得马奇太太很自豪。 —

how Jo laughed, with tears in her eyes, as she declared she might as well be a peacock and done with it; —
乔笑得眼泪都流出来了,她说她宁愿成为一只孔雀,也不愿放弃。 —

and how the ‘Spread Eagle’ might be said to flap his wings triumphantly over the House of March, as the paper passed from hand to hand.
“展翅”可以说是在马奇家族上方得意地挥舞着翅膀,因为这份报纸从手到手传递开来。

Tell us all about it.’
“告诉我们所有事情的来龙去脉。”

When did it come?’
它是什么时候来的?

How much did you get for it?’
你得到多少钱了吗?

What will Father say?’
爸爸会说什么?

Won’t Laurie laugh?’ cried the family, all in one breath, as they clustered about Jo; —
劳瑞会不会笑?”全家一起喊道,他们挤在乔周围; —

for these foolish, affectionate people made a jubilee of every little household joy.
因为这些愚蠢而深情的人会在家庭的每一个小小的喜悦中庆祝。

Stop jabbering, girls, and I’ll tell you everything,’ said Jo, wondering if Miss Burney felt any grander over her Evelina, than she did over her Rival Painters. —
别叽叽喳喳的,姑娘们,我会告诉你们一切的,”乔说,她在想伯尼小姐是否对她的《伊芙琳娜》感到比她对她的《竞争画家》还要自豪。 —

Having told how she disposed of her tales, Jo added, ‘And when I went to get my answer, the man said he liked them both, but didn’t pay beginners, only let them print in his paper, and noticed the stories. —
乔讲完她如何处理她的故事后,又补充道:“当我去找答案的时候,那个人说他两个都喜欢,但不给新手付钱,只让他们在他的报纸上发表,并注意这些故事。 —

It was good practice, he said; —
他说这是很好的练习; —

and when the beginners improved, anyone would pay. —
当新手进步了,就有人会付钱。 —

So I let him have the two stories, and today this was sent to me, and Laurie caught me with it, and insisted on seeing it, so I let him; —
所以我让他拿了两个故事,今天就给我寄来了这个,劳瑞抓住了我,坚持要看,所以我让他看; —

and he said it was good, and I shall write more, and he’s going to get the next paid for, and I am so happy, for in time I may be able to support myself and help the girls.’
他说很好,我会写更多,他说下次会给我付钱的,我太开心了,因为以后我可能能够养活自己和帮助那些姑娘们。”

Jo’s breath gave out here; and., wrapping her head in the paper, she bedewed her little story with a few natural tears; —
乔的呼吸在这里停顿了一下,她把头埋在纸里,用几滴自然的泪水润湿了她那个小故事; —

for to be independent, and earn the praise of those she loved, were the dearest wishes of her heart, and this seemed to be the first step towards that happy end.
因为独立和赢得所爱之人的赞扬是她内心最珍贵的愿望,而这似乎是通往那快乐终点的第一步。